Games That Divided Fanbases Thread

Post games that divided fanbases of vidya franchises. Also all three of these games turn 10 years old this year.

This is likes consle war but video games instead.

This entire series in general.

"Divided"? Look, you were either an actual fan of a series before or you weren't. If you weren't, you might enjoy one of these games and proclaim yourself and become a new fan of said series. If you were, you were pissed.

Except Brawl and FO3 didn't divide anything; anyone who isn't a brain dead retard agrees they're shit.

I thought brawl was _fun_

I thought Brawl was a nice toybox with lot's of modes to fuck around in. Smash 4 just felt like a limited party game pretending to be a competitive fighter.

I found Brawl and Persona 4 to be fun
At the end of the day, it all comes down to how you feel about a game. You have to live your life after all. This board doesn’t exist in the literal sense, it stops existing the minute you power off the computer. You can have your own personal opinions about a game, all the people here can do is mock you for sharing said opinions.

Whoops, forgot image

No shit Sherlock. The thread is for talking about games that divided fanbases.

I really enjoyed Subspace Emissary. It felt like I was playing Kirby Superstar with Nintendo characters instead of copy abilities.

the rest of brawl can go fuck itself

Fallout 3 is a good game.

I don't really know how Persona 4 divided jack shit any more than 3 already did unless you're talking about waifufags.

Yes it does are you high
I think you need to lay off the weed, it's bad for you

FUCK YOU

Perhaps I'll join my dogs when the time comes

Some people give Persona 3 a free pass and try to pretend it wasn’t the first signs of things to come.

Well to be fair, 3D Sonic was always a mixed bag. Granted Adventure 1 and 2 had a solid foundation for the Sonic stages, but going past that you can see that Sonic Team wanted to do something else entirely rather than working on Sonic.

Also check out this demo if you liked the Speed stages in Adventure 1 and 2.

I feel like you could say it for every entry after Demon's, but it feels like this one especially

Probably the best example of what OP's talking about. Classicfags and Igafags used to get into some super heated fights.

I suppose Awakening technically divided the fanbase, though Fates is what's known for kicking it into overdrive

Good post

They still are fighting but it's mostly instigated by Classicfags.

No Resident Evil 4 posted yet?

After having only played the first Dark Souls then following up with this game I have to super agree, that was polarizing as shit. I wouldn't say it's even bad, I just wish the loose ends of characters were a bit better tied up.

Yeah, A resident evil is a good game.

Can you even blame them? They don't really have anything anymore.

It's one of the most fun games in the Resident Evil franchise, I will give it that.

The Big stages are Sega Bass Fishing, the Sky Chase stages are Panzer Dragoon, the Gamma/Eggman/Tails mech stages are pretty much Burning Rangers. The rest are all reasonably close to Sonic gameplay. Basically they padded out the games with parts of other games. Other good games. But I can see why some people wouldn't want them in their Sonic game.

I still say Sonic was actually one of the best translations of a game from 2D to 3D. It actually tried to keep the original formula and mechanics and translate them to 3D, whereas Mario pretty much just made an entirely different game but slapped Mario aesthetics on it. It's not to say Mario 64 isn't a good game, but it isn't as much a translation of the older games, whereas Sonic Adventure is.

Holla Forums's hitting the contrarianism a little too hard today.

die faggot

Note my explanation. I'm not saying it's the best game, just that it did a relatively good job at taking the 2D gameplay and translating it to 3D. A lot of other games making the transition basically didn't even try, and just made up entirely new stuff.

Except I forgot Zelda. Zelda is a better example than Sonic. That game might as well still be 2D, since it plays so similarly to the old ones. But things like Mario or Castlevania or Mega Man share very little in common with the mechanics of their older entries.

All of the 3D Sonic games controlled like absolute garbage and the level design had to be radically altered to compensate for it. They're almost totally different platformers.

Why though? Resident Evil 4 clearly divided the fanbase between those pŕefering the old style (even saying that "RE4 killed the franchise") and those prefering the new ones. You could even say Resident Evil 7 divided it even further

Naw, you're a fag and your shit's all retarded. I'll admit that Adventure 1 doesn't have the greatest level design, but it got the mechanics down. Adventure 2 then did a better job with the level design, focusing more on alternate paths and secrets and stuff, like the older games.

It was them saying RE4 was good bit that set him off. I enjoyed the game but I did feel like I lost something that would never come back when I first beaten it. At least RE7 was better than RE5&6 for me.

The only game like this that can kill something as big as it is, is itself. The duck update was the final straw for me. Its like as if the the game is being handled by literal orangutans.

die

This user is correct about what set me off.
RE4 killed the franchise.

What about games that killed their fanbase and popularity?

Same here. I absolutely loved RE4 (beat it three times on Gamecube back then), but I still like the classic RE gameplay very much. It's sad to see it go (REmake 2 never ever) and that the game's are not mod-friendly enough and there's no "Resident Evil inspired" indie games out there.

Notch let this game go to shit and now majority of the playerbase (majorities shit eaters that watch letsplays just goes play gamemodes that intimate other existing games.

I agree, user. I wasn't baitposting when I said it's one of the funnest games in the series, however.

Super Mystery Dungeon is a real Hit-or-Miss. Some love it, others hate it.

I think it was campaign-wise as it was the peak, but I think MW2 for multiplayer and Black Ops 3 for the Zombies mode.

I tired of Zombies.

1.7.5b doesn't exist, and hunger was added in 1.8b
You can tell this from the image you posted even with little to no knowledge on minecraft

Yeah, but they need more polishing. Especially in SA2. Gamma was fun, however the cheap platforming segments hurt the mecha gameplay.

Especially with the limited hardware, Utopia is supposed to be the same concept but improved upon. It's not gonna be an open world game like the demo was.

And neither do Igafags, minus Bloodstained.

I can get why they'd be upset 10 years ago when Konami were just pumping out Igavanias, but now that both types of Castlevanias are dead in equal measures in favor of pashislot, it just makes angry Classicfags look like whiny niggers.

Another game anyone with taste agrees is shit.

And yet SA1 wasn't compatible with the Dreamcast fishing controller.

This. It's Fusion really was baby's first Metroid for a lot of people.

I've been swimming through the sewers of the internet since about 2003, and any discussion Fusion was guaranteed to turn into a shit slinging flame war all the way up to Other M's release. The fact that Other M managed to stop virtually all debate on Fusion is really a testament to how stupendously horrible that game was.

Tales of Vesperia marked when the downfall of the series and the split of the fanbase. However, it was more of Talesfags vs Vesperiafags as that's the only game they played and refused to try out the rest of the series while constantly crying that they didn't get the PS3 version when many good games in the series have ignored the west. This was also the same time Namco started removing content from the game and constantly adding it back as DLC while quick EXP/money microtransactions. After Vesperia, many games in the series really lacked quality in certain areas too or were obviously rushed like Xillia.

Brawl neutered the gameplay but added many nice things. Sm4sh didn't build on top of anything Brawl did right and spread its good ideas on 2 platforms instead of having the whole experience on one. Having Smash Run being so limited and on the damn 3DS was their biggest fuck up to me. All they had to do was make City Trial: Smash Edition.

Never could really get into that one but really enjoyed PoR. Still prefer the classic style.

Mechanically, MGS4 is the best in the series.
It's just that there is very little game to have fun with it.

Its shit.

They had 10 years of igavanias though before it came to a halt
Classicvanias had nothing for twice the length of time

Most of these didn't divide the fanbase. They just shat on the old fans and had plebbit or similarly shitty people replace them.

Please don't spoil anything, but how was it rushed or otherwise lower quality than what's standard for Tales?

you mean the 2011 F2P update

But that was when I got the game
It was loads of fun for a poorfag teenager who plays vidya on a toaster
Its a shame that I will never get those 1400+ hours back

you mean when they added hats

I'm a Smash Bros. series fan since the original, and retards like you are cancer. Brawl is an excellent game despite its flaws.

You niggers mean when the sandman was included?

Your post smells nintendrone-like

lol, aren't you just silly user?

Nah. Most of my playtime is on the PC.

I would argue Smash Bros. 4 is a hell of a lot more polarizing than Brawl. Since with Brawl pretty much everyone came to the same consensus that it was a heavily casualized version of Melee but you got Sanic and Snake. With Smash Bros. 4 you get Sakuraifags defending it and autistic Melee/Project M fags sticking to their same autism simulator

I like it for the most part, but I hate how recruiting pokemon works and I dislike having to check with Kangaskhan every time I want to get a quest reward.

Fuck. That triggered me.
Well done.

Still fucking mad about it thirteen years later.

It was better than Gates, but worse the Explorers.
I was expecting it to be difficult because my friend was telling me how it made him use items to survive and escape from encounters he couldn't win. When I finally played it, I breezed through everything because I was spending gold bars on vitamins and increasing my stats, my friend didn't do that which is why he found it more difficult.

It was when the heavy update was launched.

It's a masterpiece compared to the recent Super Smash.

Xillia 1 and 2 were one game split into 2. When you start Xillia, the beginning town looks fantastic and then once you get out most of the areas after are pretty generic. Most of the land is just boring landscapes with items to collect here and there but these are never fun nor interesting to traverse so a world map is honestly better IMO.

The combat for Xillia isn't bad but it completely fucks co-opertive play because you need to link with another character to make things work. The good thing is the combat flows like post game Versperia once you get a few skills and artes but to play at your character's best it requires you to link with another ally. Some characters, like Alvin, are completely un-fun to play until they get certain skill like being able to hold 3 charges (he charges up his gun to get upgraded moves like Karol but his whole playstyle revolves around it). Using Mystic Artes is treated more rare again and aerial combat is a little bit better than Vesperia but no where near the level of Hearts R. One annoying thing though is that enemies love to jump out of combos with a counter attack but Jude (MC) can break the game if you get the timing down to dodge said attacks.

Now Xillia 2 made combat even more fluid but now there's a weakness system which can be a pain in the ass to do good combos if your character isn't proficient in that' enemy's weakness. I swear all these things were handled much better in Graces F. MC is a silent protag self insert where you can fight with guns, hammers, or 2 swords which gives him a styles fighting style. But they fucked up making him the jack of all trades because he's needed on the team at all times and playing the other interesting characters would be doing yourself a disservice on harder difficulties. That's because he has a super mode that turns him into a super sentai that deals absurd damage and he has tools for every enemy while everyone else doesn't and won't until their skill tree develops.

Besides that the biggest complaint people had with Xillia 2 was its padding. Essentially they constantly want you to do hunts and side quests to gain money to pay off a debt you owe but none of this content is actually interesting. This is most likely done because most of this content was supposed to be be content you go through in Xillia 1. Either way, it's a rushed product too but not a bad game.

Explanation noted. You're retarded.

see

Mario kart 7. It's the worst one I've played so far.

This. They just needed to take acts 1 and 2 and make the entire game like them.

That's my main complaint with competitive games, they feel too barebones.

TF2 has turned into a Petri Dish: The game is so bloated you can actually see the engine creaking at the seams.

How did it divide anything though?

Super paper mario. It is considered either:

I get that some people say they liked that he moved faster, but the level design in the sequel just makes it so much better that it doesn't even compare. There's actually stuff to do in Adventure 2, while Gamma's stages end up feeling a bit bare bones in comparison. Really that's how I feel about all the returning gameplay styles in 2. Adventure gets by on the actual adventure aspect of exploring the hub worlds and interacting with NPCs, who actually have very detailed stories that make the world way more immersive than it should be. That and the way the story is presented in general makes it seem more interesting. But gameplay-wise, Adventure 2 has it beat by far.

I'd be interested in hearing of more games that made the jump to 3D and actually translated the gameplay to 3D accurately rather than just making up new stuff. Zelda is the only better example I can think of. Things like Mario, Mega Man, and Castlevania were pretty much just completely different gameplay with the aesthetics of the old series slapped on. So much so that Mario 3D Land and 3D World actually made it a selling point that we finally got 3D Marios that were actually like the 2D Marios, and now people are divided along the two different styles of 3D Marios.

Actually, on that note, Sonic Unleashed is another one that divides the fanbase, because Adventurefags frequently dislike the boost formula of Modern Sonic, and Boostfags keep claiming the Adventure games were shit, while Classicfags just say all the 3D ones are the same anyway (so basically they're just not paying attention).

Thanks for the write-up, user. Xillia 1 definitely started strong, hence why I was wondering how people could not enjoy it. I can't comment on co-op though because I have no friends to play it with.

Online died when the next one was launched, my guess was the bullshit roster, literally everyone wanted to switch to the original DS.