I want to get into the Yakuza games. I've heard 3 is a good entry point since it recaps the plots of 1 and 2...

I want to get into the Yakuza games. I've heard 3 is a good entry point since it recaps the plots of 1 and 2, but I never like jumping into a series midway. That being the case, I was going to pick up a used PS2 copy of the first game, but I heard Kiwami was a straight remake. Does Kiwami render the original obsolete, or is it still worth playing the first game now that a remake exists?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.sega.com/showthread.php?322120-Full-list-of-cut-content
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think so. There's also a Kiwami or Part 2 coming out.

I think so meaning it's still worth playing or I think so meaning Kiwami makes the original obsolete?

the original's gameplay is much shittier than the rest of the series and unless you know japanese you're gonna have to listen to the awful english dub.
Kiwami does however have a lot of references to 0 so it's not exactly a bad idea to start from there either.

The awful english dub was one of the best things about Yakuza1

Yakuza 3 is a really bad entry point because its a butchered localization.
Play Yakuza 1, if you can't stomach that then move on to Yakuza 2.
Kiwami is pretty much a different game with some content recycled from 1. Kiwami 2 completely cuts out certain areas and quests from the original so there really isn't much point to bother with that.

Yakuza Kiwami adds Majima boss fights because they're pandering to the people that like him, the multiple fighting styles will disappoint you if you play the Kiwamis then go to 3, and Kazuma looks as old as he does from the games 3 and onward or maybe Japs age slower. That's all that's bad about Kiwami, they're main fan games.

Play the first game first. People shit on the dub, but it won't annoy you if you don't get used to the original, so it's another reason to not leave it for later. And it is a good game. You shouldn't skip any of them.

I own the other games, but I pirated 1 and 2 before I played 3. Pirating 2 on the PS2 had some complications because the original disc has two layers and is kinda weird overall, so you can't just burn it all in a dual layer DVD. It doesn't work, but there is a way to solve it by splitting the game in two and recording the second layer separately, and that allows you to continue to play the game after it freezes.

You should also play Kiwami. Play all of them. Wish I could play the ones that are only available in Japanese.

JUST START WITH FUCKING YAKUZA 0

I don't understand what's so hard about playing in release order, that's always my rule.
I emulated the originals recently and I thought they held up fine.

play the originals because you get to see the original vision. Majima showing up way more all in Kiwami messes with one part of the story, and in Kawami 2 they cut a whole area of the game, Pic related.
And also the original version of this cutscene is vastly better then the Kiwami 2 version.
Spoilers but it's true

I also heard they cut the my favorite side quest from Kiwami 2. Where you have to run your own hostess bar.

Wow, kiwami's song sucks so much.

It's not that butchered, is it? They just omitted some side content like the hostesses and a Japanese history quiz game, or some shit.

forums.sega.com/showthread.php?322120-Full-list-of-cut-content

I played the whole series again recently and played for the first time 1 and 2 (I started on 3) and I will tell you that it is fucking butchered and badly.

There's at least one side quest completely omitted from the game (I can remember, the one where the guy is getting used by the hostess for money, the continuation of the one from the previous games )

It wasn't noticeable to me when I first played it because I didn't know any better, but coming back to it, it's pretty horrendous and I'm glad they realized their mistake.

emulate the first two, they run fine on pcsx2 if you dont have a toaster, the kiwami games are mediocre, if you really want to play them, do it after you played the originals.

I really wish more games would opt for a devs-only voice acting or dubbing. House of the Dead has hands down the best dialogue in any game I've ever played.

But the best one is the one with diaper thugs.

PRESS F FOR CRAZY KEN

Apparently, they fucked up the music in Kiwami 2 big time. Most of the more memorable tracks are gone.

I think that quest is actual mandatory, I could be wrong but I don't think you continue that chapter without doing it.

I can see what you mean by the cutscene. The stab plays out so much better when it's subtle, not as blatant as Kiwami 2. Just the drop in sound before it slowly comes back created so much tension that I practically felt as confused as Kiryu the first time I played until we both realize what had happened. The obvious stab sound in Kiwami 2 loses all that tension.

I've come to accept that "medicore" in the Yakuza franchise is actually "good", while Yakuza 0 was considered best, actually "10/10"

Just get Kiwami, my dude.

this is an absolute bummer, the use of the music in this scene really impressed me the first time i played and its still a cutscene i would stick around to watch on subsequent replays. Glad i played in release order, I didn't hate Kiwami1 but it a different experience overall than the original and kiwami2 looks like it'll be the same deal

This is why I think 6 will probably be fine, I've noticed Yakuza fans tend to exaggerate how bad the worse parts of the series are.

Kiwami is not a replacement for the original. The originals hold up fine unless you're underage.

If you start with the original, you won't have any problems at all, the only problem is if you go back to the original after playing any other game because it's really rough. 3 is a really bad entry point, as others said it's by far the most butchered by localization game in the whole series. Also, Kiwami 2 has the problem where a part of the OST will be missing which was composed by one guy, which means that you'll miss out on great tracks such as Northern Menace.

That’s a horrible idea. You play Zero first and then you pretty much have to play Kiwami, because moving from Zero to One is like jumping from a high end PC to an Atari 2600. Raising money, while easy in Zero is a real chore in the early games. I started with three and barely got through the earlier entries. I would say that you should either stick to release order, or play Zero after four as a supplement to the Saejima storyline, giving you some insight into Majima’s thoughts.

Kiwami is a good replacement for the first one. Only old codgers who hate change think the way you do.

you're retarded beyond down syndrome

Play 0

pic related, its both of you

No, really. It is mostly better with the exception of a couole of dumb things like the new hostesses being libshit social commentary.

SEGA always has problems with the music they use and licensing, and it always comes back to bite them in the ass.

Does he finally fuck Haruka in part 6

!

No. She becomes a teen pregnancy statistic. Kiryu is a cuck.

All games recap the plot of the previous games.
You can just emulate 1 and 2, they work fine.
Always play in release order, and if you suddenly start feeling stupid and start to play them chronologically, then you have to start with Yakuza Kenzan.