Ninendo's Paid Online Service

archive.is/2b2sx

So Nintendo is once again pushing back their plans to make their online pay only. If I'm not mistaken this is the second time this happens already.

I'm starting to think that them announcing that the online was going to not be free was mostly done only in case the Switch turned out to be a failure so that they wouldn't need to keep their servers running for free while not getting any money from their main console.

Dunno, maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I'm starting to think they're not actually going to make it paid.

Am I tinfoil hatting too much or does this make sense to anyone else?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/WCkq7
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Makes sense to me. The Switch has been a smash hit, maybe they don't need to make it paid anymore, and keep pushing it back to decide what to do with the plans.

I'm personally betting it's because most players don't think Mario Kart, Splatoon and ARMS is enough to justify paying money for it. I bet they're pulling back because they've got something releasing this year they think people will actually pay to keep playing.

A Smash game?

I'd consider picking it up if they just made it permanently free.

This is good (and bad) news, Nintendo wants this get their consumer base hook, line and sinker, they want to wait until the Switch is at the apex (think; NES, Wii) then clamp down to have a surefire way of earning maximum profits.

It's a very smart way of looking into the future and doing business, bad news for the people that hate Nintendo and wish they'd fail, because this is only going to make them look better in the eyes of PR and you know the rest.

Smash, Animal Crossing, Pokemon. Probably one of those 3. My guess is Animal Crossing.

Maybe. They might also be jumping through legal and planning hoops right now with net neutrality laws for the US markets. That or they have dropped the paid online idea which honestly is more respectable. It'd a less expensive alternative to the ps4 and xbox that can also be played on the go, with the benefit of not needing to pay for online services beyond buying games. Its a solid way to conduct themselves.

They're probably gonna hold out until Pokemon comes out for the switch, then once everyone ate it up they'll turn on the paid online switch

How is rolling out paid online 2 or 3 years AFTER a console launch a good PR move? It's literally bait and Switch.

Pokemon isn't played online as much as you think, surely it won't be played more than Smash, Splatoon or Mario Kart

This is bad because if they don't come out and say online will be free I will continue to not buy the thing. I'd love to play Spla2n but knowing I'll be cut off from the real part of the game at some arbitrary time unless I buy some worthless subscription just to keep playing the games I already paid for is ridiculous.

Compare Brony 4 and Xbone and the normalfags will see the Switch as the least evil.
Remember; Nintendo has always been scummy, but the competition much more so. By comparison, they don't look too bad.
You have to BE the normalfag user, see through their eyes and it makes sense.

Pic related, normalfags don't care about honesty, they only want to be entertained and don't care about having a consumer revolt, and if they have to pay extra for it then so be it.

Putting online trading behind a pay wall is enough to make it a deciding factor

Unfortunately, you (and I) are the minority. I refuse to buy a Switch until hax come out.
Remember that one interview where one of the treehouse members said something along the lines of "Nintendo is a business, we (as an entity) don't care about catering to the fans and bringing games that make people happy, we care about the money"
Of course, his HONESTY got him fired and fucktardrd nintentards BASHED him for telling the truth. I was fucking furious how people could be so damn blind and continuously suck off the company that clearly wasn't and (won't) cater to the fans. Jesus Christ, there was even an article in this board recently about Miyamoto not hiring gamers and instead opting for people who couldn't give less of a shit.

You should just pay for the multiplayer experience goy, is not really that expensive and every other company is doing it anyways.

Fuck off Mark. Really, fuck off and die.

Animal Crossing isn't played online that much, and it's only if you really want to go and visit other people. Honestly the paid online will just divide the AC community.

archive.is/WCkq7
Found the article. It still pisses me off how a lot of idiots were clapping their hands and saying shit like "Good! He deserves it."
It's okay when Nintendo does it.™

You do realise that playing games doesn't make you any better at making games?
Gamers are usually idea guys or armchair developers.

That whole article was taken completely out of context exclusively for the sake of outrage. Nobody would hire someone to make games exclusively because they play them.

I call bullshit on that interview. It'd be constantly referenced and linked to on this board if it existed. Provide a citation or fuck off.

Why can't I be glad that a dumb cunt who looks at games that way lost a job he doesn't deserve AND disgusted that the company he works for is one like that at the same time?

Of course not, there is also the argument that being a gamer doesn't automatically make you an armchair developer. It's a different situation from the otaku, if I may mention Miyazaki.

He hated how they didn't really try anything new and only further added to what existed already and celebrated it. They hated looking at people and would only recycle and recycle existing content until complete stagnation, that itself is understood. Though, with gamers there hasn't been such a thing that has happened, in fact, gamers NOT being involved has currently brought us to where we, as an industry are now.
Games that have potential as storybooks, but certainly not full fledged games, mechanics that are barebones and worlds that are empty for the sake of "Immersion" and exploration where there is none, or very little, and repeated until the player is forced to like it. Like a rat dispensing a meal, it continues.

So, tell me, why wouldn't you hire someone with the exact same skills, but with the upper hand on knowing what is able to be fixed, compared to someone who is less pragmatic and more abstract. There really is no argument over it, because it doesn't make sense in the context of videogames. Directors and supervisors are there for a reason you know.

He did deserve it, as many games as possible should be brought over.

Dude, come on. It's right there, and it wasn't an interview, it was a podcast, if there is any discernible difference.

Guy's name is "Chris Pragner" by the way. Many articles, contrary to your belief, not everyone here is a walking encyclopedia, that includes me as well.

Again, I think the article and especially the screens posted were misleading or were purposefully looked over exclusively because anons love to get mad.

I doubt that Myamoto refuses to hire people that play games, he just won't hire some faggot that has barely any knowledge because he plays regularly.

Ah, I see. Yes, that is understandable, it also goes the other way around, you are correct. I would certainly hire someone who is tech literate and knows programming over a "Master Gamer" who does not know a god damn thing.

He was speaking from the company's perspective, if it wasn't for project rainfall or whatever it's called, Xenoblade would have never arrived due to lack of demand, even if we both agree they should localize videogames regardless.

The article was misleading. The writer doesn't even quote Miyamoto, but instead inserts his own bullshit. In the interview Miyamoto says he wants people who have more skills than just being a gamer. He didn't say that they wouldn't hire someone that is gamer.

Of course, because they knew that would get them clicks
Hate that shit

What if it's a marketing push because nintendo is trying to push all their big multiplayer games from the start to try and prevent lulls in activity?
I mean it'd be unethical but it's totally reasonable. Just like 2 months before it is supposed to go paid be all
OH WOWIE! YOU THE PLAYERS AND YOUR AMAZING SUPPORT has let us keep this free and soak up all the free publicity.

Thank god archiving.

Is Nintendo retarded or something? There are people who didn't buy a Switch because it had paid online.

Smash players will pay anything Nintendo ask. Pokémon could be used as a bargain chip too, but they would need to implement something to make people want to play it online other than just trades/battles, the scenes are already very much local to simply change to a paid system. Maybe an online league.

The Switch doesn't have anything that would make people go "oh yeah I want to pay to play THAT". Casuals could just keep playing Mario Kart against the computer (and it has local multiplayer, right?), it doesn't matter to them. They need more online games to motivate the payments.
Plus, Microsoft and Sony give out freebies every month and Nintendo rents you a fucking ROM instead? Yeah, ok.

I'll be annoyed but whatever I'll finally buy a Switch. On the flip side imagine how parents and kids will react to having to buy a yearly subscription all of the sudden, two years into the Switch's lifespan?

Sony doesn't give out freebies, it's still only indefinite rentals.

And they'll buy it then thank nintendo, making the overall situation better than if they just said "the switch has no paid online" from the start. Because normalfags are niggercattle.

Judging by how fucking atrocious every single online integration GameFreak has ever made is, I really doubt they'd be able to come up with something that people feel good paying for.

the Amiibo Assfaggot of course

Gen 6's was pretty good

Gen 5 was the best tbh

Yeah, I don't see this going down very well. Nintendo may be proposing the cheapest online subscription, but that doesn't change the fact that children and those casually playing the Switch will be immediately turned off of it. Hopefully Nintendo reconsiders.

y'all should kys

Have you just forgotten everything they've fucking done?

Pretty sure it'd be gay if they kissed, and this is a no gay zone

Normalfags are already used to ps4 and xbone implying anyone even touches that turd with their paid crap. That and the smell of more money will get Nintendo to change its mind eventually.

YOU HAVE TO GO BACK

In terms on connectivity I''d say it's second best
With Gen 6 I had multiple battle against people I'd never spoken with before. As long as they had their wireless enabled you could challenge them or offer a trade, no matter where they were or what they were doing. It was one of the few things gen 6 did right.

Whether Nintendo reconsiders or not, they'll get the same amount of money from me as Sony and Microsoft do. None.
In what world does it make the slightest bit of sense that I have to host the game server and still pay the console manufacturer for the privilege to do so?

Which one was the one where you could "intrude" on another person's game and there was like, a ton of minigames you could play? I think that's probably the best online wise.

who would honestly pay for it, theres nothing worth justifying the cost

There are not enough games worth justifying buying a Switch, yet fags still buy it.

0 reasons not to pirate it if online is paid.

Sure it does. A gamer would make a better game than a normalfag or some hack game journo.

Just look at the early days of gaming, the people who made the best games were the nerds who liked to play them. The subtext in Miyamoto's words are that he's not looking for the best games, he's looking for the best selling games.

They'll have to do what Sony did and wait for their next console if they don't want to look bad…

I'll take unethical but totally reasonable marketing approach if it means free online for the console I bought, tbh

Sure.
And of course a "gamer" that spends 14 hours a day playing Call of Duty, Destiny, PUBG or something like that would be as good as you or me in designing a game.
You have to realise that the vast majority of gamers have no idea what makes a game good, and would produce absolute trash. Possibly even worse than SJW garbage.

Playing games will help you if you know how to deconstruct them and understand the design that makes them click. It's not just about playing them.

As dumb as it sounds, this was the argument used by the nintendrones when the paid online was announced.

That's a normalfag, user.

Those are gamers, user

I bet you think people who play mobiletrash are gamers too.

Get a load of this faggot.

I don't think you understand the argument here.
You're not deciding who's a gamer or not, the public is.

You're in the vast minority.

Being in the minority doesn't make him wrong.
The majority being comprised of people with a superficial interest in the subject and a poor understanding of it doesn't aren't right just because there are a lot of them.

It does when he says that everybody that plays games would be good at making them.
It's a fallacy because in his head a "gamer" as referenced in the article, refers to him or people that browse here, where in reality the actual people Myamoto was referring to were a completely different audience.

Just keep the basic online multiplayer free but make a PokeMMO that you pay monthly for. That way the autists that like that pokeshit will pay for everyone else's online.

I remember reading that you will only need a subscription to play certain games online. Like Splatoon 2 is definitely having paid online, thats confirmed. Stuff like Mario Kart 8 would probably stay free.

What if they save money and make more money by pushing the service out in fall?

I think the "game" that you would get designed out of that is someone just making another FPS ripoff of those games. You want someone with more variation and interest in other game genres.

Do people forget how Miyamoto hobbies outside of gaming lead to the creation of Pikmin and Nintendogs? He was even prevented from talking about he hobbies after that?

Just hand over your money

Good, keep pushing it back until the Switch outlives its shelf life. Online game play should always be free if the the matchmaking is P2P, which most Switch games are.

Don't these types of subscriptions last a set amount of days, rather than to the end of the year? Either way doing simple matchmaking is not expensive, and considering they already have online play there wouldn't be any additional costs for them once they roll out paid online for the retards stupid enough to support it.

Off topic but why does this Vivian have a fucking clover?

Fucking this.

I'm not a mother fan but the fact that nintendo openly takes the piss out of fans wanting mother 3 to be released here just shows what they're truly like.

I think fanboy hatting is the correct term in this case.

There are times out there where I wonder how much profit/loss do they get from their fucking games. Surely a high selling Mario platformer or Mario Kart could compensate for a possible loss on a western release on a "risky" niche title like Mother 3.

But a risk of losing money is still a risk they're too jewish to make.

I knew why, I wanted to see if he would defend posting cuckchan shit.

NIIGGEEEEEEEEERS

Only reason I didn't buy a Switch was because they announced paid online. I could've played Splatoon 2 and gotten everything out of it due to all these delays.

Fuck me for being a cautious buyer!

They expected a Wii U again and instead got something pulling PS4 numbers instead. They know nobody wants paid online so they keep pushing it back as long as it keeps exceeding sales numbers.
Moment it starts to equal 3ds's numbers after it broke out of its "this is the ocarina 3D machine and fuck all else" dead period they will announce they arent charging for it.

Dude there's been a translation patch out literally forever, and if you don't like the retarded new edits there's archives of the not retarded ones.
If people really gave a shit about mother 3 they would have or would be already playing it.

If people really gave a shit about Japanese games they would learn Japanese.

No no you did the right thing holding off. I held off until more games came out, and now that there's a healthy library I have one now.

But granted the paid online has been a major turnoff for a lot of people, but with how long it's taking it's either gonna get cancelled, or they're working on actually making it worth the money. Good fucking luck

I just hope the paid online shit keeps the 3DS online for a long ass time. even after the Switch and what comes after it

Not even a factor, most RPG games worth a shit have transcripts you can use if they don't have straight up patches.

I knew about the fan translation for years now.

You're missing my point about nintendo.
My point was that they openly mocked a fanbase for years that are openly asking for a game to be released offically state-side.

In my opinion they should, just as they should have mocked the retards asking for earthbound releases on their systems.

Why?

I understand not translating and releasing it state side but, to openly mock the fanbase asking for an offical release of a game is just a cunt move.

More proof Nintendopes are cucks.

I honestly don't understand how people are angry that we are not getting a treehouse translated Mother game.

1. Because the american copywrite and trademarking system is a giant messy joke
2. Shigesato Itoi has publically expressed very little interest in development or continuation of the series and his company still holds the rights for the games.
3. Earthbound and Mother 3 are some of the most easily emulated games there are, and it's ridiculous to assume that someone would be unable to at the very least grab Visual Boy and ZSNES and play both rather quickly, and to nintendo's own credit there's is very little to be gained financially from these people because a lot of them don't actually play the games, much less, pay for a ROM of the game or god forbid the investment of ANOTHER remake.

I mean for fucks sake, the only reason mother got a "International" release is because there was already a translation and they wouldn't have to pay anyone for it.

Because the mother 3 fanbase has been asking for a port before treehouse was prooven to censor and make pointless changes to games.

Except that's wrong you fucking retard.

It was translated by nintendo themselves.

You retarded faggot, that video proves my point.

You're missing my point you dumcunt.

I'm not talking about why it wasn't released officially nor am I talking about emulation.
My point is that nintendo actively insulting a fanbase that are asking for an offical release of a game.

Except for the fact that the person that translated it was a nintendo employee.

It was pretty clear from their first Switch conference that paid online was an aimless dictation from the executives, and it’s even more clear now that Nintendo either has no idea what to do with it or no way to execute on what they want to do. Either way, the fact that it’s been delayed so many times without any real clue of what it will actually be is not a good sign.

It was always odd to me that Nintendo would try to copy the Xbox/PS+ model of paying for online, because Nintendo can’t compete directly with their capabilities and offerings and also because those business models are increasingly appearing wildly obsolete. The value proposition of XBL/PS+ online play is effectively zero today, which is reflected in the necessity for both services to offer dozens of free games and big discounts during sales to make up the difference. Effectively, this looks more and more like a sort of bribe to get people to continue to accept and put up with paying a notable sum to access online play. It would be wise for Nintendo to abandon that model and instead have some kind of premium sub service that gives other bonuses and discounts or something without restricting online play.

Nintendo will never officially release Mother 3. There really isn’t a huge audience for it and they can’t reboot the franchise in a way that people would be happy with. Also, it would result in a bunch of negative press after the announcement because there would be multiple public shitstorms about translations, each of which would be endlessly dissected and picked over by fans and journo rags. Big arguments over who is being more faithful or accurate would inevitably occur, with some people arguing that the official release is best because It’s Official! while people who have played different versions of M3 on different emulators endlessly gripe about what Nintendo is doing wrong to ruin their favorite game, regardless of if Nintendo is actually screwing anything up. And most importantly, any detailed discussion of any of this will have to include discussion on how to obtain and run these M3 roms, which is a topic that Nintendo DOES NOT WANT PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT AT ALL ON ANY LARGE SCALE. Avoiding that alone is likely worth far more to Nintendo than making a million or two off selling M3 at an inflated price.

Ok but yet again someone missed the point entirely.

The point was about them INSULTING the mother 3 fanbase asking for an official release.
I understand completely why nintendo doesn't want to release it state side but, they should've just been silent about it.

Them taking the piss out of the fanbase asking for a port is what I have a huge fucking problem with.

Yeah, that's what I said already.

Just wait until Treehouse releases the North American Mother 3 and it's filled with memes from two years ago and reddit thinks it's hilarious. All the kids who grew up with Undertale will have a new version of Undertale to play!

Except much like the mother community barely anyone actually played much less finished undertale either, and it didn't pick up until longform video went up on the internet.

But with worse gameplay :^)

We take the piss out of fans for being retards, why shouldn't the company who is intimately familiar with them take the piss out of them too? If I had any fans I would be talking shit about them to their faces all the fucking time.

I never played attention but I see it now, how IS Vivian doing in cuckchan?

Isn't that Robot Chicken skit the first and only time they have done it? Where are the other instances?
Mother 3 lack of western release was also possibly the result of bad timing, it came out in Japan in 2006, add NoA translation (and probably censoring) if would have been 2007 release and the GBA was being phased out in 2006.
Also didn't help that GBA games with non-standard cartridges like WarioWare: Twisted (gyro and rumble motor) and Drill Dozer (rumble motor) had poor sales in NA and didn't even get released in Europe (though WW:T got a AU/NZ release). Even Drill Dozer got a Euro language translation ROM build by NoE (confirmed through its VC release on Wii U) yet no official GBA cart release.

Remember Nintendo did release the formally cancelled EarthBound Beginnings on VC, I would assume if Mother 3 was to get a remake they would consider a Western release.

Always expect the worst in life realistically possible.

Pessimism isn't defeatism and cucking, it's intensively, mentally, cautiously preparing yourself for the worst shit and disappointment it throws at you based on logic and knowledge and making nice surprises even better.

Digital shit won't die until there's enough backlash and consequence of it and that's not happening anytime soon. All we can do is our damnest to stop it from getting worse by basically becoming snarling hounds at any hint of it ending up in what doesn't have it already.

Let me get this simple fact off right: You are mentally retarded. No sane person would make this thread. Even the reversetrolling ironically hipster, no effort, let's just see, cuckchan, baitshit is not worth this.

Even if you had time activated, automated batch file, to launch low effort thread from somebody elses computer, it would still not be even one millionth of the required effort to for a single shitposter to kill a thread. You lazy fuck. I'm pretty sure I fucked up in logic there

How do you know he's a nigger and not a future alien with a Jewfro, you stupid faggot?

F-Zero by Retro with 120 players per race.

What fucking grown adult gives a shit about nintendo products? Go do that stupid fucking face selfie shit somewhere else nintendo faggots.

The people owning a switch will be hard pressed to actually move to another console as 2-3 years after they've purchased it they would have at the very least gotten some games they play online. Mind you, it's not like Nu-tendo won't give them some sort of glittery reward for being the best goiym so they can be star bellied sneetches among sneetches, but they'd still cave in cause they're now too invested in the console to back out with their losses.
It's just like how Casinos give you freebies and easy wins early on, then take it all from you while serving you with various cheap services that sounds much more costly than what they're actually gaining from you.

Because it's a cunt move to pull to ridicule their own fans.

Yes, so what?

I never said there were any.

Maybe this is why you don't have any fans.

Nintendo announces paid online
Nintendo rolls back on paid online

I'm not even complaining. This is why I come to Holla Forums

The important thing to remember is that they anounced it.
They wanted it.
That in itself should be reason enogh to never buy anything from them, as well as Microsoft, Sony or any developer with practices of "give me more money for what was free" ever again.
Acquire your games.
Don't pay for them.
Wait until you can get games and "consoles" (emulators) for free.

I'm going to be VERY charitable here and say they somehow realized the Switch has exploded in a way that requires an entirely different infrastructure. They probably banked on providing half a broken 2007 server like they did for Wii U, and some upshot young'un got through to the 80 ancient chiefs that people are gonna get mad if half the users cannot connect at any given time once the paid sets in.

Might be wishful thinking though.
In any case, with ninty never assume generosity in any situation.

But why wouldn't they? Console gamers are so dumb that they are willing to pay for it.

>>>/suicide/

I bought one

BUT MUH CHAN WARS REEEEEE GET OUT

It's a nice thought, and would be good PR (our online is free). But there's two issues:
1) Paid online is always for profit. Server costs are minimal for companies that big. Not doing it is not getting money. Because…
2) No one is complaining about paid online publicly or to Nintendo's face.

Imagine if folks complained to them and said shit like:

Sony only made a big deal about backwards compatibility because Microsoft fucked up.
You want free online? Demand it. Enough voices will make them go where the PR is.

I think Pokemon's online is probably going to be free, or I'd be shocked if it wasn't

Pushing it back still dissuades people from buying online games. Sort of like

Sure odds are if you buy an online game now, you'll get bored of it before Fall, but the chance you'll want to play it after that time and lose your "investment" without having to pay more dissuades sales. Or makes you feel pressured that you have to play it as much as possible to get your money's worth out of it before the pay fees- same reason MMO subscriptions never appealed to me. Pay to access it for X months- which is actually x hours of gameplay depending on how often you pay it.

You did good. Enjoy some of the singleplayer titles when you do get it.

Control your autism buddy.

People who play those games are more interested in Jewtubing and Streaming not developing games.
No one said the end all be all of developing games is playing them, but that they should do so anyway. You're arguing for no reason, over something we already understand. Arguing for the sake of arguing is retarded, now fuck off.

PEOPLE WHO MAKE GAMES SHOULD ACTUALLY PLAY THE KIND OF SHIT THEY MAKE END OF STORY!

Retarded strawman 3, I'd be willing to bet all my money that he does not think that. He just has an obtuse idea of who a "gamer" is or should be anyway, and in the Mobile sense is correct.

Danuki Cosplay?

It was a mediocre joke, you retarded faggot.

The fact it JoyCons look like anime girls despite that is fucking pathetic.

Paying for anything related to games is already dumb. As soon as any small company get paid, they start being arrogant, jewed up AND SJW shit. Never pay for games and always try to get every piece of hardware for free, by any means. It is better than feed the soon-to-be SJWs that will also try to jew you.

Those retards are the reason we can't have nice things, regardless of them being nintendrones, sonyggers or xbots, they are ready to justify any kind of kikery (dlcs, microtransactions, paid online, unfinished games sold at full price, censorship, sjw propaganda) using the same shitty excuses and non-arguments for the sake of being a good corporation cocksucker.

>>>/normalfag/

Where do you think you are?

i really don't see the point in playing
im not a fan of there multiplayer games anyways
and they don't even have miiverse

*paying
fucking autocorrect

What I'm seeing an issue with is a lot of the switch's library is singleplayer. I can only think of like, 5 games.

Newfags need to shut it and lurk at least a little more

How feasible would it be to have paid online, but give a number of free hours per game owned, so whenever I buy a new game it feels a little cheaper but I'm still paying more overall? I don't think I could afford both in the same month.

Do you mean like, Vouchers, for the online play? That's actually rather common for new copies of online capable games or was.

me too, Zelda is a blast and mario is decent. Can't wait for Metroid and Bayonetta so I can continue playing single player.

Did it really fail though? It's library isn't too bad compared to the other systems; that said, it will be a cold day in Hell I will give Nintendo my money again.

They're going to stick with the paid online service model but they haven't enforced it because they want to iron out any issues before they start charging(there will still be issues and having the eshop crash due to the large number of people trying to use it was embarrassing).

You're implying it was an argument in favor of the paid online, whereas it was merely pointing out the sonygger hypocrisy of saying NINTENDO IS THE WORST!! when their own personal Moloch was already doing it.

Reading comprehension is not difficult.

does your dad work for Nintendo?

You're nearly as bad.

:^]

I'm talking about making apparent waifu tier wish fulfillment just to draw that very feasibly cuck shit in, you fucks. That's what I called pathetic.

It's a stupid stunt if true because all it did was temper my enthusiasm for the Switch and contributed to my decision to wait. More likely they realized their online is shit at the moment and there would be backlash if they started charging for it as is, so won't charge until they feel it is worth the money (ie add lots of stupid gimmicks instead of useful things like voice chat and messaging)

I feel the same tbh. I can't justify picking up Splatoon 2 now that I've missed out on the early days, especially with the input lag problem. I was so excited for that game and I just don't care anymore.