Good translations

We have a lot of thread on shit translations. Let's have one on good translations.

I was playing Shanghai EXE and there's a part where you fall victim to a boobytrapped fridge and the person who laid the trap calls you to taunt you. In the Nipponese script the first line is just a generic generic evil taunt "Haha! Your screams are pointless", in the fan translation it's given as "Is your refrigerator running?" It conveys the taunting part perfectly and fits absolutely perfectly.

Other urls found in this thread:

md-subs.com/what-game-subs-got-wrong-in-2017
jisho.org/word/紐
imgur.com/a/HQpHJ
imgur.com/a/X2w49
youtube.com/watch?v=hVZ6nxAGJZU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are you retarded?

If your fridge starts violating the laws of physics and you get a call with "Is your refrigerator running?", it is a taunt.

If your idea of a taunt is a prank call non sequitur then your mind isn't well enough to judge good translations.

It's the line from the crank call, not an actual crank call.

Damn, this was a shit thread

I get what you mean, op. Language is all about communication, not some word by word synonyms that don't exist. As long as the message is received the intent has been met. But, like the few responses so far, changing the meaning in an attempt to appeal to the audience is often excessive and unnecessary.

tangentially related, found this on a devtwitter.
a professional translator and subtitler takes on vidya subs
md-subs.com/what-game-subs-got-wrong-in-2017
unsure if he's said anything of game localizations

I know what you're looking for. Try these out OP, they're exactly the kind of games you would like.

do you have brain damage?

Nothing to do with the thread, but this is a topic to discuss on its own. The fonts in modern games are fucking bullshit made for ants. I remember making a thread a while ago that got shitposted to death regarding this topic. There's a lot of factors to take into account here, like low vision, screen size, contrast, ect. Ever since games went HD fonts have become harder and harder to read. This was never a problem in older games.

Played this in both English and Japanese and the translation is pretty damn accurate.

Stop it still pains me to look at a game I'll never be able to play because treehouse fucked it up

You know what to do.

Shoot up NoA headquarters? We have a decade until a 3DS emulator can actually play a Fire Emblem game

You're not missing much, the only good thing to come out of Fates was one of the battle themes.
Cast and story is weak and the game mechanically prioritises being a shitty waifu sim above being a Fire Emblem game. God forbid you play Revelation which has an even more pathetically terrible story.

I don't care about this literal translation VS Woolseyism autism, but for the sake of proper discussion, here's a link to the scene OP is talking about.

Skip to 16:15.

That's not a translation at all. In fact, that's a rewrite.

They didn't properly translate the きいていいか part of it. It should have been something like, "Vahn, can I ask you something? What's a pimp?" Although this might have been done for technical space considerations.

True, but it gets the meaning across without resorting to rewrites, which is about the best you're gonna get from a localization.

I thought a ヒモ was a woman's boytoy? Can pimp be used like that too?

jisho.org/word/紐

I'm asking what pimp means.

It still hurts.
imgur.com/a/HQpHJ
imgur.com/a/X2w49
I'm sure there's stuff I missed that's not in here. Just off the top of my head I remember Treehouse can't even keep whether or not Marx can swim consistent.

itp never played Conquest/Black Kingdom
The rest is accurate though.

Pimp is an alpha cuckold who has access to a lot of hot women, but instead of banging them he rents them out for money to other men
now you need to use 30's pimping tips from negroes to deal with >normal women

Remember there's a sort of Stockholm syndrome that causes people to defend shitty localizations. If they think it's either shitty localizations or nothing, they are going to defend shitty localizations.

This post is what happens when you take shitty memes seriously.

Someone who "manages" hookers.

Okay, that's what I thought pimp meant. So why is it being used like gigolois that the term?
I'll agree with you in that hot women don't become prostitutes, but fags that sell little girls are 100% cuck.

Some of them during their childhood or teenage years likely consumed dubs or localizations such as Pokemon & Sailor Moon.

The weird thing is that most of the people I've seen doing this would relentlessly mock 4Kidz brand of trash one minute then turn around and near-religiously defend Treehouse's shit the next.

Cause niggers began using it simply as "someone who gets a lot of women easily"

Yeah but so did everyone.

Cause trashing 4kids edits is a meme of itself, everyone & their grandma did it & one would have to be a faggot to think they did nothing wrong.
Treehouse on the other hand is bit different as they don't have the same notoriety that 4kids has (yet), Nintendo of America's censorship policy of the 90s gave people expectations that "You don't deserve better, you should be thankful they localized!", & some people at Treehouse have kool-aid drinking friends.

True.

If there's one thing that I hate fonts in modern games, is that they all use this same stock Arial font for everything now, From Battlefield 1, to SFV, to the System Shock remake, they all have this same generic font, often in boring spreadsheet squares in the menu. It's the games are made to resemble an earnings report.

You have to remember that by this point, kids raised in that Toonami/4kidz generation of broadcast TV anime are pushing 30 and are working in localization. Even when they claim to be passionate about translating Nip games, they never actually got passionate about them as works from Japan, only localized products from their youth.

What's funny about Sonic X is 4kidz covering cleavage, yet the Sonic game manuals had Rough's chest hanging out for any kid to see.

A lot of the time it's not even the translator. I do wonder if the editor has final say, or if the translator is just complicit in the butchering.

In Neptunia Re;Birth 2, it seemed to be the case of the editor having final say since he was not present in Re;Birth 1.

Glad to Ghideon admit he's a lazy hack.

Probably, translator hands in an accurate translation, but editor (some liberal arts SJW tumblr faggot) rewrites and tweaks it.

Also present in Re;Birth 3 & the Noire game.

NOT EVEN ONCE

What? That's not even a translation.

those cunts are the reason I have to sit half a meter from my tv in some games fuck

I didn't ask to be a half deaf english second language.

there are still fans trying to undo their sins after all these years with a complete reatranslation

Stop trying brainlet, if you were of true superior intellect you would understand slumming it.

is it just me or does this sound like the cushiest job on the planet?

How new are you?

Your example is shit, a far better one would be Dragon's Dogma. Compare the generic Japanese writing to the English localization, attached is the English one and below is the JP version.
youtube.com/watch?v=hVZ6nxAGJZU

They actually did the localization in-house and spent a lot of time consulting with the development team directly since it was done while the game was still in development.

Fun fact: the original game only had English voice acting, even in Japan. They didn't add Japanese VO until Dark Arisen.

eh, last build of citra I tried still couldn't do New Leaf right. That's about the only 3ds game I wanted to tinker with.

That's true, I forgot to mention that. Most people know that this is also the case with the "Souls" games but its also interesting that Bayonetta didn't have Japanese voice acting until after the anime since so many Japanese fans asked for it.

I'd imagine this is true with some other Japanese games about western settings like maybe Metal Gear Solid but I've only played them in English so I don't know.

Nah, Metal Gear Solid has a proper Japanese track. Koudelka and God Hand were in English though.

Citra can't even do a run of Awakening without a fuckton of glitches

Camilla, Fem Kamui and the dragon powers are still the only thing that caught my attention. I'm never trying out anything nu-Fire Emblem but Awakening at most, which actually looks appealing enough with its plot and characters.

The only good localization from shithouse was Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and I still enjoy replaying it for the dialogue to this day.

I don't know everything done to TTYD aside from outright retconning the transhit, so I can't judge.