RTS Thread - Pantsu Edition

Well you know the drill anons, ciclejerk about old RTS games, bitch about the constant fuckups of modern RTS games, discuss mods, setup game nights, bring up RTT, laugh at Burgers inability to play RTS etc.
In the last thread before it went to shit anons were discussing what was the correct form of underwear for the RTS genre was. Any anons care to wager in on this debate? I personally think it depends on the type of unit

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age
companyofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_Grenadier_Heavy_Infantry
store.steampowered.com/app/686260/Forged_Battalion/
archive.is/I73hl
nichegamer.com/2018/01/19/age-empires-definitive-edition-launches-february-20/
archive.is/wrF5o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If fags want to come play some DTA there's a room up, name Infinity password infv.
moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age

And it's still pull-ups.

>>>Holla Forums

Naval units have panties with a hole in their rear for easy access sodomy.

Is Dawn of War 2 The Last Stand part of the rts genre?
It's really fun like old rts and I played it a lot more than the regular multiplayer.
Suprisingly there are still people playing it.

That game can't decide if it wants to be an Action RPG or RTT. Last Stand Mode is more ASSFAGGOTS than anything related to the RTS genre. I always had the feeling playing DOW II that there was a few different development teams working on it fighting each other to pull the game in the direction they wanted.

Assfaggots is more popular with casuals, they could have a real money maker if they just made last stand (and the older games) free to play and just sell cosmetic skinns. There are plenty of opportunities with just Space Marines and Imperial Guard alone. Also it would be cool for the older games to have steam workshop support. Wheter or not its an RTS, I have a lot of fun with the Last Stand. Maybe they could make a better rts focused game if they had a popular free to play money maker like how square has ff14 fund other projects and valve has dota 2 fund other projects as well. I understand that rts fans don't like dawn of war 2 as much but a lot of the elements have broader appeal outside core rts fans.

Could have if they seized the opportunity when it presented itself but that bubble has long since burst. Hell last time they tried to make 40k ASSFAGGOTS it failed completely.

I still think they can find some good success if they made the older games just free to play and sold skins. It's a successful business model and is worth trying to see if it can earn them more than just selling the old games. It doesn't require a lot of effort to monetize community made content. Plus if the older games are successful it will indicate to SEGA that there is a community still worth catering to but that they want products more like the older games.

It'd be RTT if anything.

I wouldn't encourage them to find new ways to milk shekels from existing players.

Free to play with cosmetic dlc only is one of my favorite business models alongside paying 60 dollars for a game worth 60 dollars. There are worse business models. They could make it a pay to win episodic always online facebook game with lootcrates.

I honestly prefer paying $60 for an incomplete game filled with $80 of on disc DLC and then having microtransactions on top of that.

Source?

Decent taste. Pure white is the best kind, though. Has anyone here played Kain's Wrath, the expansion to the third game? Is it worth picking up?

Kanes Wrath is good, pick it up

Kane's Wrath is pretty good but I wouldn't pay for it since EA will get the cash.

Needs a subscription too

FunnyWarcraft3 posted a video of his first few matches on a new bnet account. He is human and tower rushes orcs. It's pretty great.

Reminder, RTS is at its best when it is a political drama about factions making and taking sides. Campaigns should be challenging enough that players need to adapt their strategies based off what they face to help them prepare for moving up into the online skirmish environment. RTS is at its worse when you spend all game harassing resources and win by out-lasting your opponent

Kanes Wrath is good if you either
1. Don't patch it and live with the bugs
2. Learn enough about modding to make your own custom patch that keeps the old economy intact

Because god help you if you try to play the game after the hacks at EA rat fucked it to death with their half-assed patches.

Soon

Did anyone play Syrian Warfare?

It's probably one of the only RTTs that I don't hate because it's not MP focused and allows me to take things slow.

I hate gookclick games.

Found it pretty good, been wanting to sink my teeth into something similar since WIC. Have a good memory of the second mission on the coast where I lost most of the vehicles to the tank crew coming form the south, so I took out an armored crew, used the car on the map to shoot it with an ATGM and commandeered it with said crew. Good times.
In short their news, seems the Hatred devs are trying their hand at RTS

*In other news

No, that's not what gookclick is. While gookclick games are always fast games because they are games that rely on "APM" to be good at them, the real defining trait is the lack of any real changing strategy throughout the game. The only "strategy" in a gookclicker is knowing your build order before the game starts and executing that build order faster than the other player.

This looks awful, but what else would you expect from a console RTS.

Makes sense. They're a shit studio that can't make good games and relied entirely on triggering normies for their success with Hatred.

hatred was good though, reddit

Oy vey! How could I forget?

I really have no idea what (((EA))) was thinking with the Kane's Wrath patches.

That is one hell of a Tank Orgy

I found it had very low replayability.

I did play the base game not the DLC
Its really good but it has its issues like patchfinding, infinite enemy waves, long missions

But otherwise its a really decent game

Hatred was a pretty good game tho

Git gud.

I never said that.

Aside from that I agree completely with your definition.

Burgers, Gooks and Slavs like Gookclick.
Everyone civilized prefers C&C.
What does this mean Holla Forums?

This means you left out Warcraft and its clones, you silly sod.

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT WESTWOOD
DEFILE THE VIRGIN OF THOSE THAT LIKE UNITCAPS

How is AoE gookclick?

In the name of Kane

This is nice bait. I might borrow it in future

Well having a think about panties, it is clear that if it's a Tank or Airplane unit there is no choice but for the choice of underwear to be something like a diaper since they will not likely be able to go for a potty break.
Regular infantry units will want something that's easy to slip off but also quick comfortable so we are talking something like plain white panties.
Stealth units will likely wear something like a thong to try and seduce the enemy.
Commanders will probably just run around at base wearing a t-shirt and shorts since they are often lazy shits who won't get off their chair unless you spank them.

Get out of my sight

Tried out that DTA. Did a few skirmish matches. The balance really seems out of whack. Also the build distance seems really small as well. Maybe I'm so used to games like Generals or Red Alert 2.

DTA copies the build distance of old RA1 and C&C95 which is directly at the side of another building you own with a little bit of space for units to go through.
It changes depending on the type of building and angle though, you can place defenses pretty far away but not something like a refinery. Use powerplants or helipads as a quick and cheap expansion tool.

As for the balance, all factions are good for compstomp if you know what you're doing and i'd wager the most fun missions to do are the Enhanced Allied and Soviet campaings. If you're playing against another player, just don't pick Soviets outside of teamgames or in a small map and you're good, their tanks suck for their cost-to-efficiency value and can end up with the other player snowballing really quickly early on where more tanks > better tanks; Their strength is superfast , hard hitting and cheap Airpower, best infantry support and best artillery as V2s completely wipe the shit out of Artis and MRLS in range and damage.

Oh that reminds me. Airpower fucking sucks considering how easy it is to get shot down and with repair/rearm rates
Unless Im missing something, Soviet Migs are not worth it.

If it were me I would have airfields act as repair pads for planes. Only change I would make.

You need good scouts/scouting to make good use of airpower.
Problem is that Soviets are pretty much incapable of that. The whole factions needs a buff or at least something to make them properly competitive. That or the mod plays the webm of Holla Forums's BO sucking dick whenever you choose them.

So Soviets just an overall buff. Their subs are kinda shit when everyone else gets artillery and missile ships. Their basic vehicle is slow as fuck, doesnt have the power to stand and fight against 2-1 or 3-1 odds. Their Mammoth tank is alright.

Planes are functionally useless without spotters as you said, or a revealed map. They go down far too easy for the micro required.

Yeah after playing another round, as someone who was raised on CnC I agree that Soviets need a massive buff.

-Planes automatically repair and rearm at airfields.
-HP buffs for all their vehicles that are meant for face to face fighting
-Some ability to scout properly

Though if we want to focus on slow but heavy tanks with a slow/steady push. Why not make it so that the Soviet's radar vehicle not only has a much larger radius, but also reveals shroud?

This might be OP if used to the autistic constructiveness, but so far I've not seen anything other than

M8 I had slavic parties doing 4v4 generals in computer clubs. Regularly.

Is there an rts series with better voice acting than Dawn of War 1/2?

If they Soviets got an early game scout unit it'd be fine. In fact they could probably use the Radar Jammer unit which would considerably buff their air if they can make it disable air defenses and give them a decent scout unit. Or even turn it into an early game Tesla unit.

tbh why even make a mod this complex and not just make your own game instead?

World in Conflict
Company of Heroes
Command & Conquer 3
>he doesnt post the german SM voice lines

actually felt sad that Kai Wulff (Voice Actor) Does not Voice the German Units and Announcer

* Didn't Voice the Germans for Company of Heroes 2

Where can I find the german voices besides selecting german language on steam and playing again?

The lack of recurring voice actors in CoH2 in english and in german in general is disappointing as fuck
The german synch only got like 3 reocurring voice actors and 2 of those are more or less nothing but random background chatter

For CoH1 there are separate voice packs available same with DoW1 actually somewhere and for CoH2 its afaik not even possible to change them without changing the language of the game

Which reocurring VA and which roles did they fill in COH? and COH 2 would be great if reocurring VA from the 1st game returned though one of the american VA in the battle of the Bulge Campaign is the same guy who is the announcer in Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai. DAMN LIVY LIVIERED COWARDS, YOUR MEN ARE RUNNING SIR. Said VA(in the campaign would be the Old Man who has the WWI veteran background

CoH, as long as the units speak their native language.

What RTS games are you looking forward to in the current year?

Iron Harvest

Hope to Jesus that it won't turn into Dawn of War III

i know it´s RTT but fuck it
i can still remember me passing entire nights glued to my computer preventing yanks from reaching the beaches at omaha
or kicking Stalin´s ass at Stalingrad (too bad CCIII´s campaign was railroaded)

some people prefer combat mission to this but i have just grown fond of old ass 2d sprites
and i rather have more depth and realism at the expense of graphics like in dwarf fortress
than a flashy modern RTS with a severe lack of realism Company of Heroes

try it out fags its a really good game

That looks pretty good, what is their business model and when does it come out?

Ostheer Officer(the one you get from the Osttruppen doctrine) is voiced by the same guy who voices the Wehrmacht Pioneer
The Obersoldaten are voiced by the guy who does the PE Sturmgrens and USF weapon crew chatter (noticed the most with the pack howitzer) is voiced by the guy who did the Wehrmacht MG42

I don't remember Storm Grenadiers, you mean Assault Grenadiers?

companyofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_Grenadier_Heavy_Infantry

While I do prefer Combat Mission to Close Combat, anything from Shockforce onward is shit. It's just too bad Close Combat's net code is absolute dogshit, otherwise I'd have played it much more.

jingrock

next year but i remember they'll release a beta

No it wasn't. It was as bland and generic as it can get. It was also way too short. The one and only redeeming value was that it was "shocking", and it didn't even do that unless you're some kind of sheltered faggot. It was tame as fuck.

Don't forget that Warfare and Warfare: Reloaded exist if you enjoy Syrian Warfare.
Basically the same game with slightly worse graphics and wider difficulty band

Close Combat Cross of Iron gets pretty brutal with Grossdeutchland mod, might be worth checking out if you want to replay Cross of Iron.

Yeah those
They are called Sturmgrenadiere in the german version

Anyone noticed that the RTS thread has managed to derail itself into being on topic?

You see Sergi, if you start a thread already derailed then you have no need to fear it being derailed since the only way it can go is back on topic.

When does the beta come out?

This Year but i think it was either Spring or Summer

I'm cautiously optimistic

are those the actual stalker devs?

Vladimir Putin was once a Game Dev?

Yes
It was part of their presentation booth I think at a gamescom or something similar

nice. much respect.

When Stalker Devs can make game that last centuries or Forever than most AAA studios make. Also what happened to those two and what are their names (Guy on the right and Vladimir Putin look a like)

*Guy on the Left

No idea, possibly Sergi and Ivan knowing how Cheeki their Breeki is. iirc the one on the left isn't actually a dev but a journalist but the one on the right who looks drunk is.

Turn based / slow > RTS.

I'm a shitshow at RTS and never played them until they became niche. Is Starcraft 2 going F2P worth it as a last chance for a popular RTS with players as retarded as me or do i have to git gud at them the old and social way?

Why are you posting random pictures?

There's shitters everywhere. Why didn't you get CoH2 when it was free like 2 weeks ago? There's a lot of shitters there.

No matter how retarded you are, you can't really be worse than the players in Bronze league, the lowest league filled with the bottom 10-15%. Those guys are really special.

any good anime titty rts gaems

Got to play it finally after all these years though, yey. One thing I don't like about 2 is that units and buildings feel weaker then they do in 1.

WHAT IS THIS HERESY. YOU FILTHY GOYIM SHALL BE PURGED BY MY BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL BOTS

(S)ACU > BOTS >>>>>>>> SHIT >>>SHIPS PLANES AND TANKS

I had a hellish time getting that game to a playable resolution, since it was always zoomed in as close as it could get. Took me atleast a week of patching and finding mods/fixes for it.
Finally got it working and it turned out to be shit.

Superior Germans prefer Supreme Commander over either of those trash series.

Give me some good RTS music.

Panzer Elite- Courage to Stand

Forgot to put the name

Dawn of War II Imperial Creed

Dawn of War II Blood of Man

I hear Metal Fatigue is good, but it just looks like total annihilation with the planetside factions. Why should I play Metal Fatigue? Which RTS's is it better than?

Which RTS is the better pick: Company of Heroes 2 with all the expansions and DLC ($20) or 7.62 High Calibre ($1.24), or something else?

7.62 even though it's not an RTS (RTT that borders on TBT because of the real-time-with-pause shit).

COH1.
COH2 was free a while back and is riddled with microtransactions and plays nowhere near as good as the first one.

While I never really liked CoH1 as much as everyone else seemed to this user is right about 2's microtransaciton nonsense. Even with all of the DLC there'll be stuff you need to buy from the ingame store or unlock painfully slowly.

Please don't actually purchase any iteration of this pile of trash and just download Tiberian Sun for free.

Well he could also play Dawn of Eldar instead :^)
seriously why do Relic favor one faction in each of their games so much?

Apparently a good portion of the balance testers were eldar mains.

Gee I wonder what to do user? :^)

I ended up getting 7.62 High Calibre instead, figured it would be worth it and isn't 37GB like CoH2 is. Only problem is trying to figure out what's going on since this start is a clusterfuck.

the rts threads are filled with rejects from fighting game generals who refuse to put effort into winning. discuss

more like they didnt know how powerful they were because they couldnt micro in their casual rts designed to minimize micro

It's been a long time since I played this game, but this OST always had a way of melting the world away while my artillery pounded the enemy into dust.

0\10, you didn't even try.

Does the Wargame series count as RTS?
I know it doesn't have basebuilding or anything like that, but it feels like you have to employ actual strategies instead of gookclicking.

youre the one that doesnt try, i bet you wont even touch dwarf fortress because of its "clumsy" interface

its an RTT wich means "Real Time Tactics"

usually RTT strive for a more realistic and in-depth mechanics
while giving up the old traditional concepts of basebuilding etc…

It's RTT and honestly it doesn't really play that well, at least not when faggots only play destruction.

Wargame doesn't play well unless you are playing meme tactics.

Like NAPALM PURGE and helo rush?

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that there is an RTT with more in depth mechanics than Warcraft 3.

And GLORIOUS COMMUNIST T-34 CHARGE!

Dont forget
NATO AIR SUPPERIORITY DECK with 10 SEAD planes, 20 fighters and AT helos out of the ass.

Trying to move outside of the extremely stale meta in destruction is just asking to lose because most players are nofun faggots. I've had some good games with friends on Economy and Conquest because then you can agree on limits for variety but that's not really solving the problem.

etc

By those accounts alone, Tiberian Dawn alone has had more in depth mechanics than the entirety of the Warcraft series combined, and it was made in 1995!
You're arguing like a fucking clown, ever thought of that?

Is this bait?

thats quite a heartfelt case youve made. maybe you can back it up with some facts

Slavs prefer Cossacks tho.

Give SC2 a try, it has lots of stuff in it despite competitive, co-op and custom maps.

Counterpoint to your dubs:

Picked me and my friends up some copies of Grey Goo when it was real cheap. What the fuck were they thinking with Human faction? Having to run power cords everywhere to expand your base is fucking hell, even your walls need to be plugged in. What's even worse is that they can't bend, they can only follow the + shape of the junctions.
Goo is amazing to play though, haven't tried the Shroud yet.

It's okay, I understand that reading comprehension and following a chain of responses is hard.

Just to name a few reasons you're wrong.

What the fuck is that statement.
Also you've traded out all the stuff above (in this post) for
Wow. It sure was worth losing base building, air units, heroes, creeps, mercenaries and items for slightly more positional combat.
The same can be said for War3? Why do people who haven't played games argue about them.

Pathetic.

CoH has base building and more advanced defensive structure construction, though.
Air units present even if uncontrollable directly.
There's veterancy for all units. There's equipment and squad mechanics.

I played Warcraft 3 but, despite being compelling and having influenced me greatly when I was a teen, it's not RTT. It's an RTS. The tactical elements aren't as prominent as strategic, build order and power matters more than tactical decision-making.

You're even ignoring that maps can and will have entire neutral bases for you to destroy or capture for either access to better tech or resources
You haven't even played the game, hahahah this isn't tiberian sun you millenial fuck.

ah yes, the turtlecuck rears its pitiful head.
go play stronghold if you want a game that actually suits you in a fun way.

My point wasn't that War3 is RTT, but that RTT is not more in depth than RTS, and its silly to promote such a thing. I've found most RTT, even the ones that move away from realistic warfare, tend to feel fairly samey.

You are incompetent and literally failed to properly read the one thing you were arguing for.

Spic detected.

Game is fucking amazing.

Depending on which version of Dungeon Keeper you've got there's a hotkey to double the game's resolution.

Y'know I love Warcraft 3 and even to a lesser extent enjoy Starcraft, but I think every single RTS should have walls. Even SupCom has walls and they have a purpose in competitive play.

user, I don't think that image is correct watching what happened to the series

just more proof that you memesters never actually play these games

Yeah I know. It's just so rare I find a game I like. Even old ones and 'classics'

Orcas, Apaches, Chinooks and A-10 aren't one unit, and A-10 isn't even a bomber, it's a support power for GDI after adquiring the Communications Center.

You have to go back.

Complexity =/= depth, this is the mistake CS:GO, ASSFAGGOT and Gookclick players make. Complexity, either physical (high reaction speeds, non-variation movement skills you have to use and use in one way only to be competitive) or informational (constantly changing meta with patches or masses of different game mechanics) merely increases the barrier to entry of high-level play without actually changing the level of skill it takes to win.
It's like sprinting: any idiot with self-discipline can put in thousands of hours of repetitive training and learning the unchanging facts of how to win but there's no actual talent involved (basically it comes down to doing the right thing until you hit your hard cap based on genetics and age).

desperate

Projecting much?

Well shit, forgot about the Apache, was thinking it was the Hind from Red Alert. You got me there. Tiberian Dawn is still missing all of the other points.

Not exactly seeing how that argument applies. The greatest hindrance for players of Warcraft to reach high levels of play is their ability to make judgement calls and micro properly, not knowing counters.

I've got it written down as 'load a level then hit alt+r , if it doesn't increase your resolution change to rendered inn graphics options'. I think it only applies to the dos version this includes the GoG version rather than the later re-release. Also if you're using dosbox edit your config file to change cycles=80000 (or whatever number it is) to cycles=max.

Micromanagement is the very definition of complexity rather than depth, judgement calls depends on exactly what type of call you're looking at.

keep up the (you)s stormnigger

Oh and Dungeon Keeper isn't really an RTS, it falls more into the weird side-genre of management game.

You can't argue that positional combat in one instance is not complexity because it is slower than in another instance. Otherwise I could argue that putting Warcraft onto the 'slow' game speed would make it more 'in-depth' because there is less emphasis on your ability to micro.
That is madness.

I believe that because it gives you resources in fixed quantities and intervals then you are basically being spared of having to race against gook clickers so in a sense it takes mechanics away to give you a fair chance since then you can focus entirely on your units management instead of being outpaced and left behind by these asians.

The positioning element is never more or less deep, the addition of a time-limit on your positioning (which is what micromanagement functionally is) simply adds complexity (you must learn micromanagement, a non-variable physical skill) rather than depth.
It's not a matter of slower making the game deeper (it doesn't, the game is equally as deep either way) it's a matter of making it less complex. Increasing complexity without increasing depth is pointless unless you just want to look at how well people have trained themselves at a non-variable task instead of in actual tests of skill.
I'm not saying there's nothing impressive about high-APM micromanagement but it's the same type of impressive as 'wow that faggot spent years of his life training his body so he could pull trucks around with his nipples'. This is why high-level Chess is honestly not that impressive since it's mostly a solved game, you really only have to memorise a bunch of standard strategies and then crunch numbers.

His point is that complexity =/= depth, i mentioned TD as being better than War3 because it has just as much depth in unit choices and judgement calls depending on the units the enemy is fielding asides from just the standard "make huge army and wreck the shit ouf of him", which translates to "level up your hero and snipe the enemy hero to wreck the shit out of him".
Tackling on having to click 40 times more so your infantry has +1 attack and defense or so that your Commando decides to use his "C4 Ability" on buildings instead of shooting it with his sniper isn't depth, it's adding complexity for the sake of adding more shit for gookclickers to do.

Alright, so let's be realistic here. Fun doesn't actually exist, it's just a bunch of signals contributed to your eyes and fingers to your brain. It has no significance on what makes something good at all. Something can look good and make you feel emotions, but being fun does not make a good video game.

Nice bait

I was feeling bad for you and thought you'd want my big meaty (you) to suck on. Don't say I don't do anything kind for you user. Though seriously can your bait better in future? I don't want to give out pity (you)'s too often

Can anons at least get a few things straightened out about C&C for a moment.
Tiberian Dawn had 3 air units you could control, all of them helicopter based. No naval units you could control albeit you could code them into the engine but they sailed on land It also had a few hidden tech trees that if you captured the opposing faction's buildings you unlocked some unique units that were rarely seen in game.
It also had a hostile environment and could spawn hostile fauna that could in turn mutate trees turn into essentially resource nodes along with infantry units into hostile creatures.
Red Alert is the one that had a proper selection of naval, land and air units but not nearly an interesting resource.
In either case you were all complete niggers for not making Red Alert 2/ Tiberian Sun the game you argued about since they have loads of features inside the game whether enabled by default or not that can provide them a lot of depth.

Fun will be made legal again.

I wonder what Holla Forums would make of the state of Soviets in DTA?

No hear me out, Chess is the epitome of 'depth', because it is simple to learn, but hard to master, not because it takes a high level of 'skill' or 'complexity' to manage, but because it requires memorizing many moves.
By your description, that is depth, not complexity. Complexity for chess would be playing it with a strict timer.
The more you remove complexity the further the game boils down to samey execution, which is what happened with SC2 and even Street Fighter 5, where due to being able to more easily control and execute strategies, it became more difficult to pick out distinctly skilled players among a pack.
Day9 covers the topic in the video 'Starcraft: Brood War Pathfinding and Micro', where there was healthy complexity in SC:BW that made the game better. And with that complexity came depth, a depth of strategy that allowed you to play in different ways and lead to a metagame that continued to evolve for a decade.
A metagame does not continue to evolve when there is no depth.
Likewise, in that popular Core-A Gaming video 'Analysis: The Consequences of Reducing the Skill Gap', he talks about how easy it is to execute abilities in SFV, leading to a lack of tech being developed to counter player of other players. Gameplay depth (as you have described it) was lost because they reduced complexity.
Now I want to be clear, in the case of Starcraft 2, this did nothing to lower the requirement of skill needed to play the game, because gookclick, but depth and complexity go hand in hand. Otherwise you just end up with hearthstone.

If you took two pros, or two teams of pros, in a game that had minimal 'complexity' and a high level of 'depth' as you have described it, what would happen exactly? Because it sounds like fog of war chess.

The idea between the three factions is as follows.

Chess is funny because it is a perfect information game with the only "hidden" information being what your opponent is thinking. But as certain chess engines and the google AI have shown there does get to be a point where what the opponent is thinking doesn't even matter because there are only so many moves and both the beginning and end game state for many set ups have already been analyzed to death.

Hidden information is important to strategy games in general because it allows for real planning and feats of gamesmanship and daring to shine through. A good chess variant that I found on Tabletop simulator is knightmare chess. A game which demonstrates how adding hidden information and randomness can add to the fun of a game without completely destroying the skill needed to win. Indeed it adds a layer of strategy to the mix by keeping you on your toes and wary of hidden plots that your opponent may be pursuing. If you are a fan of chess I would recommend giving it a look.

Memorising standard moves is complexity, not depth. Anyone could do that given enough repetition of the memorisation task (eventually everyone would cap out somewhere and that, in addition to being able to number-crunch possible moves quickly, is what actually decides who is the best in the world).
You mean exactly like every even mildly competitive game of chess is played with? Chess without a timer would just devolve into two faggots calculating the optimal move in each instance, that's essentially how AI can play so well because of their speed of calculation.
That's only true of shallow games because they have nothing but complexity. Obviously if you take games/series that have only complexity and remove complexity they become samey: that proves only that the underlying gameplay of those games/series was shallow. You can see this in modern complexity-only games (e.g. Dota, GS:GO) that have to shake up their meta with 'balance' patches every few months because players keep solving them.
How, exactly, did it lead to depth? If the game had the underlying potential for an evolving meta then the requirement to learn micromanagement merely delays this evolution while players solve micromanagement.
Well obviously, that's in line with my core point.
Again if a game is so shallow that removing complexity ends the evolution of meta it was a bad game in the first place: complexity was merely disguising this. And why are you relying so much on faggots with popular analysis videos? That's some cancerous shit right there.
You seem to be confusing somewhat what I'm saying. I'm not saying that all skill-based play is mere complexity or that a small increase complexity isn't sometimes necessary for increased depth: I'm saying that adding complexity for its own sake does not improve depth. Micromanagement of units in an RTS is just added complexity but obviously removing the complexity of having to move units around at all would sacrifice the depth of positioning. If you took a tank destroyer and made its ability to fire AP ammo an activated ability where originally it was a passive one you've added more complexity without increasing depth, if you removed the unit from the game entirely you've sacrificed both complexity and depth.
Again Hearthstone is a fundamentally shallow game, adding a layer of complexity on top of it wouldn't change that it would just disguise it.
Fog of war chess is indeed superior to normal chess but it still has the potential for you to number-crunch what possible moves could have been made, certainly early on.

The Prussian Army played various wargames that simulated FoW because they realised how important it was when it came to actually matching wits in practical warfare. It's a fairly large part of the reason they fucked up most other European nations and went on to found Germany.

I should add: depending entirely on what exact rules you've got for FoW.

Out of curiosity and potential laziness, what are some games with a great amount of depth in your opinion user?

Grey goo was so fucking bad. That build radius, the unit cap, that horrible, unfun game-balance. Muh unit abilities, muh hilariously tiny competitive maps. Everything was so pointless.

Gotta agree, Petroglyph devs really don't compare to what they used to make back when they were part of Westwood.

Good question. I'd probably tend towards things like Supcom FA, Metal Fatigue, Coassacks 1 exception for grapeshot. A game which takes reduction of complexity to a pretty extreme level without getting shallow would be R.U.S.E. surprising really given its development history, even high level plane use requires a pitiful APM and it's easily the most intensive role though you'll rarely see creative tactics from the remaining community who are locked into the single worst technically second worst gamemode.

Almost all RTS games aimed purely at PvP are terrible.

Yeh, everything they ever made feels a bit off.

I don't even know what your definitions of complexity and depth are any more, mostly because they literally don't mean the words you are using to describe them.
Maybe I'm completing misunderstanding, but it sounds like complexity is
And depth is

There is no depth without complexity. Knowing to shoot a tank in the back in complexity. Moving your units into a position to do that is complexity. So what the fuck is it that these RTT games are doing exactly that is 'depth' over 'complexity' that RTS games are somehow not also doing? Because I honestly can't figure it out from everything you post.

user if you don't think Supcom FA suffers from the complexity you have described in this thread I would seriously suggest signing up to FAF and trying to git gud for a while. It is a horrific learning experience about how hard it is to micro and macro simultaneously across a giant map where you need a half-dozen control groups minimum and not properly reinforcing one side or building a turret to stop air units can suddenly tumble into an easy defeat. It is also one of the best strategy games because it challenges players and provides them with many tools and allows them to invent solutions. It is a very deep and complex game, and if you removed that complexity you would end up with SupCom 2, and I honestly don't know how you are going to explain the difference between depth in a complexity that doesn't end with me providing RTS examples where both are interlocked to make the game good.

I feel this webm contents are relevant even if the filename may be off.

Grey Goo was bad mostly because they overdid it on the graphics intensity and trying to make the game 'pretty'. Which in turn resulted in the unit cap, the cramped zoomed in map (to show off the detail of the map/units), and the unit abilities which were supposed to wow the audience while being of questionable use.

The balance is another beast entirely and not something to be too overly hard on them for. They did attempt to make each faction more unique from the other but in doing so ran into the problem where the more different the factions are the more likely that one will be dominant. Even still the multiplayer meta seems to not be too heavily dominated by any one faction. Right now it seems that Humans are one of the more commonly used sides. Had the game sold better and had a larger playerbase I imagine they would have put more effort into balance. Again going back to graphics though, they created their own bottleneck for how many people would buy such a resource intensive game.

Petroglyph's New Game Battalion will be Early Access

store.steampowered.com/app/686260/Forged_Battalion/

Might have potential. 8 Bit all and said was done wasn't a bad game. Just felt really average. They need to focus on a more entertaining single-player mode that has replayability.

I'm actually Might get his game solely because you can customize/upgrade units that change their model and adds new abilities that helps in battle similarly like End War and Fucking Assholes at Ubisoft murdered it by making the sequel a fucking Browser MOBA

isn't that sequel dead too?

Yeah, End War 2 would have been great if they used same mechanics from the 1st game and add more units and upgrades to flesh them out but Nope. "WIDER AUDIENCE"

Are you the trap user that wears diapers?

he sounds more like a bitter and regretful kaz

you feel it too dont you?

So. Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. Was this the closest we'll get to a good War of the Worlds RTS?

Talk about old. Got good music though.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

first time i see this and i almost lost my sides

Now there is an old game you don't hear about often.

I just noticed the dildo on the front.

Uhlan?

Have we started the Uhlan posting?

What did he mean by this Holla Forums?

What am I even reading

SC1 has had pathfinding that leads to heavy micro because Blizzard can't code for shit that's all.

Supcom FA has micromanagement because you can literally dodge projectiles by weaving with your units, such as dodging T1 bombers with your CO.
It's unnecessary to call you stupid at this point.

Not him but I can understand where hes coming from even if hes wrong
Micromanagement rarely comes up in large games, I mean i only ever use it early on to deal with tier 1-2 stuff at most, so i can see why someone might not think its relevant to the game, But like you said Tier 1 bombers that go after your CO are annoying so learning how to move certain units helps early game
However by the time someone hits Third tier its almost entirely useless. Your time is literally better off spent building more generators and harvesting more materials, Not to mention the scale of units you're using at this point make it just a pain with significantly diminishing returns. At this point theres only a few specific strats where micromanagement really gives back, such as teleporting SCU attacks, ghetto gunships (Specifically the aeon shield destroying one) and

Harbingers for the Aeon are one of those units that fuck up micromanagement for the enemy, you literally want to charge them through the enemy (when you have enough of them), due to their ability to fire on the move quickly in all directions which kind of fucks up the opposing players ability to deal with it, not to mention the shitty turn rate of inferior UEF/Cybran mechs/tanks
Mobile Artillery are probably the few units that are nice to be micromanaged with late game, however depending on the size of he map they're useless.
Still the game comes across as significantly more macromanaged than micromanaged
Also i don't think building turrets and harvesting resources needs to be considered micromanaged. I literally grab a few workers and spam shift + mouse button on everything recyclable on screen. Micromanagement in my opinion is more about moving individual units in battle to avoid casualties

What the hell is it with RTS games being so averse to original Command and Conquer style infantry. Everything has to be big, and clunky with no garrison ability or the ability to be squashed by tanks. Makes no sense.

Well I went with T1 bombers since its the most relevant, but I have seen enough times a SCU needed to dodge T3 Bomber fire, or even just the immediate move orders that follow 'Strategic Launch Detected'. Heck, late game positioning in the air is usually some degree of micro due to how important it is to keep your fighters up rather than to waste them in a dog fight.

No idea, they either make them cannon fodder or mini tanks.

About to play Homeworld for the first time.

What am I in for?

kleptomania

Grand Theft Spaceship

You clearly play one of the more inferior teams

Also does anyone here spam tech 2 mobile shield generators for the aeon as an early game defense against air?
I know it takes up a pretty significant amount of energy, but combined with anti-air literally stops all air from being a threat apart from tech-3 bombers (and even then it depends on the faction)

Am I the only one that's ever noticed the wee hermit living in the top of the Restorer?

A rare example of an RTS with good story and decent gameplay.
Also

If you beat an enemy on a map, you'll get a chance to collect what resources there are before you move. Make sure you get them, you'll need them on your journey.

This thread needs more pantsu.

Pantsu user, what are the best pantsu RTS games?

This thread needs more bloomers.

rts is a shit genre for gay babies (except majesty) but we all need more panties, tights, and texture

It's a good game but it really is closer to a god game than an RTS
Now stop sucking dick and post more pics.

its not a god game either, the closest comparison is rts

Well bound to happen sooner or later. I am curious about what the GLA would think of pantsu?

Warcraft and Warcraft-lites are the original gookclick games.

Airfags are cancer, but look at this and tell me it's not beautiful

That's unbelievably optimistic.

God damn it this is why we can't have nice things.

The graphics and visual style were excellent and the specs to run it were in no way troublesome, fucking toasterfags. Everyone hates dealing with the standard 200 population cap of RTS games but that doesn't automatically make the game shit. People still played the fuck out of Age of Empires. In Ao3 I would mostly play China specifically to get their 220 pop cap, but I was just as happy playing Japanese or Dutch without that advantage.

Ultimately Grey Goo was a much more serious, polished, and refined version of their previous RTS, Universe at War.

UaW was incredibly unbalanced and buggy as shit but goddamn it I had fun fighting to maintaining power lines to teleport armies of cheap robots to flood my opponents with, or letting my weaponized mobile base stomp all over theirs.

I'll agree that pandering to esports was a huge mistake, watching them try to promote their game and tournaments for it was incredibly depressing, but the game's failure resides in the overall lack of interest in the genre and in the remaining RTS community not ever knowing what they fucking want in a game.

Holy shit I was so fucking mad I forgot to say that Grey Goo's failure means they have been forced into using this shitty goddamn mobile game aesthetic for their next game about MUH CLIMATE CHANGE and it's got the curse of Early Access on it.

How can it be any of those things when it has tiny maps and tiny pop caps?
I mean universe at war had a tone of flaws in comparison to other RTSs but it had some neat ideas, Grey goo tried to do that but failed even harder, i dont see how i t can be a refined anything at all here
fucking nigger, do you choose to always play the game breaking teams?
Robots were stronger than any other team, They can literally destroy your base several different ways without suffering a single casualty, fuck them
The hierarchy platforms were cool and all, but they were inferior to robots that could literally be all over the map and could easily be killed when swarmed

that isn't an actual result of our hate, just that they made tiny maps
although yes, you should be mad about it

>holy shit user this game has three factions, and you dare to play two out of three of them?!
You are everything wrong with the RTS community.

Dutch are poorfags compared to my Chinese economy, but yes they were the obvious choice pre-expansions.

It got even better after I buffed them with all the best cards
BANNER ARMIES 2 STRONK
Never used those actually.

You know what else I commonly played? Iroquois, with 40 dancing villagers so my walls had 30,000+ hitpoints. Come the fuck at me bro, I'll show you what it really means to turtle.

Nippon Stronk, Gaijin.

Aztec are broken if you let them go.

They were pretty much fleet destroying, not for much else though, but considering their cost they made china the strongest naval team in the game. You're literally fighting a losing battle if you think you can counter china on the seas, especially if your faction isn't one of the navy strong ones, like india

They're fairly easily countered if you use the siege dance with siege units, Its the 1 thousand 1 pop ranged units that the Iroquois build for shit all that is the real problem
combined with cannons they already trump the other native teams, even if they're cannons are subpar to the western nations.
tbh the only teams in the game that can even properly turtle are iroquis and china if you get the right cards and wonders.

And even then they're fairly easily countered with artillery, except for the jaguar prowlers which you can just send your explorer in to pretty much ruin
However, I will say they have the best navy for the native teams, if only a little subpar compared to western ones. They kind of make up for it in numbers and cost but i don't see them beating a navy favoured western factiin

Also anyone here tried that mod "Wars of Liberty"?
I'm not to sure about some of the factions, particularly the ones Balkan ones. Their resource gathering is somewhat tedious not to mention when i last played romania could literally spam unlimited bears.
I also tried Australia and boy does that escalating costs debuff fuck you up, Still wasn't a bad team to play as long as you don't go petrol sniffing abo
Still waiting for the middles eastern and polynesian teams calling it now: the polynesians are going to be fucking shit

I'm sorry for the poor spelling, I haven't slept in two days

Never heard of it, will have to check it out.

Well that went better than I expected at least a dick did not appear

Also go to sleep

If you do, make sure to install it on a separate age of empires, or just save your teams

i will

Bruh…
It really does feel like some of the Ensemble devs decided to keep working on AoE 3, resulting in this mod. Just all the small details that are new yet manage to blend in make me happy.

UAW was at least fun. Giggty Goo was not. The only thing I found memorable about Giggty Goo was the trees.

I'm playing through Red Alert 3 that i got for free some time ago.
Premise that i never played a C&C, there weren't lots of places to get games when i was a child so my RTS experience is on AoE and AoE2 plus Rise of Nations, and it's a lot of time i played a RTS: did they were always this fast paced and "less" strategic and more about a specific build order? Like half the time i played and the games i saw,it seems to go the usual way: build this in this order the fastest way possible, build those units, rush enemy base,win.
I can't really explain the feeling, it just feels wrong. Does my memory suck? Do RTS were always like this and i just was a noob? Do i have to git gud to enjoy? It's just this game?

This Tomb Kings DLC is looking pretty damn good.

Here's a hooktube with gameplay with no commentary

RA3 is shit. You get pidgeonholed into a single strategy because the campaing is focused on either rushing to help your co-commander as quickly as possible or rushing out to complete your objective as quickly as possible before getting nuked.

Pirate RA2 instead, you are given ample opportunity to use anything you want in any mission in the campaing except on the two final missions and are even rewarded for exploring the map a lot. Unit design and voice acting is also better than RA3 along with excellent mission design.

An amazing end credits theme

Pretty much this. It's cheese "X" to win with RA3 which is why it isn't really fun to play.

Any anons ever play Arsenal Taste the Power?
I felt like it was a preddy gud RTS of it's time, taking inspiration from WW2. Had air, land and sea units but also an interesting economy. Units needed fuel to operate so you needed supply lines of fuel trucks and tankers to keep your army, airforce and navy running.

Now that's a game I haven't heard about in a long time. I remember the game literally had no borders and that terrain mattered, especially at sea where subs couldn't dive in shallow waters.

What is this meme game and where do I get it?

Think one day I might have to make a (((free))) RTS list and provide download links.

When are we going to play some RTS again?

When The Jew is purged from Blizzard and the second coming of C&C has happened.

more lewd girls in panties?

Why do people keep saying this shit? Grey Goo was much, much closer to Earth 2160 than to UAW.

It had a faction that expands from a single building with connectors, 2 factions with modular buildins and another faction with no real base but gained resources by deploying non-fighting units near resource points.

Earth 2160 also had a lot of cool ideas I liked but ultimately it's still not a very good game. Although, I never remenber why so I binge on it again until I find out again.

Because infantry is useless all the time. It competes with vehicles for the same resources in many games and therefore it's always a choice between making more pea-shooting doods or making more cannons-on-wheels.

Infantry is cheap, but dies fast, doesn't pack a punch, some games even allow it to be crushed and the few specialized goals it can have like capturing buildings often require being near them. Good luck surviving the journey to get near those buildings.

Apart from that, they are either uber-specialized in a specific field that will make them more usefull than vehicles but only for that specific role, or you're better off making more vehicles. Even the anti-tank units often fall behind once you get vehicles that can do the same.

The only way you can get to see infantry in the same field as everything else it's when they are almost as powerfull as vehicles (most AoE style games like Empire Earth or Rise of Nations) or if they have different pop caps like in Dawn of War.
Otherwise, you'll waste your resources in infantry, lose them all to a few vehicles that costed less than half what you spent to make and then you'll have nothing to make vehicles yourself.

In other words, infantry needs some late-game utility.

That's one way to solve it, but it's not the only one or even the best one. You'd need to create a role or utility that only infantry can complete or at least complete it better, but for most RTS the main role is "enemy base fucker" and everything else merely assists it so even with a new role, it's likely to not help.

Infantry can require different resources than Vehicles do.
Food\Water or something else for infantry while vehicles require metal\ore to make not competing for the same resources means they can be used in parallel as long as resource aquisition can also happen in parallel.

Another option is to have infantry spawn automatically up to a certain limit. Every barracks will give you up to 5 infantry, one produced automatically every 10 seconds. Vehicles are instead a conscious effort you must order on your own, so infantry keeps it's support role but doesn't strangle vehicle production anymore.

You can also make it so everything has an "in" space, vehicles included. A vehicle needs a driver so infantry is always needed anyway, buildings have interior spaces that you can navigate with your infantry. Even when ruined by artillery fire, the buildins are still up, you'll have to reclaim them by moving infantry inside and clearing the enemy infantry there.
Artillery gives a support role instead of outright destrouing buildings. They become unusable, but they still provide shelter for infantry.

Or a final option is to have Fuel. It's a resource that goes down every tick per vehicle, different vehicles costing you different amounts. In order to have a large amount of Vehicles, you'll need a large production of Fuel.
So because of this soft-cap, you'll supplement your army with mostly infantry instead.

basically Men of War + Base Building with Spell Force 3 assign workers to buildings

Usually during a gamenight isn't a good time for RTS play, mainly cause a good portion of the RTS fags are actually playing whatever on that gamenight.

There are also some cases where "micro" is rewarding, but it being the good kind of micro. For example, using aircraft you can target a number of units and then use the g command to split attack, preventing massive overkill on just 3-4 units.

Also, using the patroll order on engineers makes them automatically recycle anything in their path, saving you from the clickspam.

If you actually look at the Commando models closely in RA3 you can see what panties they wear.

I see the C&C Thread is hosting their own Tiberium War.

Ugh. I started replaying Age of Mythology only to abandon it once the 145 pop. limit hit.

RETARD ALERT

I can think of a dozen games that beat it easily.
Warfare beats it for sure.

The most un-fun design is unit special power overload, where every unit has some special gimmick that you have to activate, and the AI can't use it for shit.
Some games (Warfare, Conquest: FW) actually have competent AI and the units use their abilities as necessary, you don't have to micromanage.

You are going to have a hard time convincing me that you do not do some kind of micromanagement in any strategy game.
Taking better positions, flanking and retreating all require a degree of micro management, especially at the scale of warfare (warfare the concept not the game).
But okay, I'll bite.
Most abilities in games like Warcraft 3 have a specific tactical purpose and priority. While certainly there is the occasional ability that could be auto-cast instead of requiring manual click (such as Aeriel Shackles and Cloud), most cases these abilities require mana (to prevent their spamming) so its better left in the hands of a player. Likewise, it would be a terrible waste to autocast an ability like Aeriel Shackles on a hippogryph when there is a chimera that you want to focus down.
This is, of course, ignoring the auto-cast abilities and passives that units have, or the power trade offs such as defence, berserk, or the bat riders unstable concoction.
Having these abilities gives the game greater depth in options. Making any of them automated would lead to incredibly stupid moments.
The more automation you introduce the less player choice and control there is, lowering the skill cap and reducing the depth of the game, unless you have the ability as a player to turn off said automation.
Also Warcraft 3 has air units and ground units.
I've not seen Conquest: Frontier Wars before today, but glancing over some screenshots it looks like it would take a fair bit of micromanagement.
So how do these games have more depth than warcraft 3 while having less micromanagement? Because so far it's looking like micromanagement is a big part of depth.

Warfare does pretty much almost all of that.

Infantry can storm buildings like no one else, they can spread out, sneak, use cover - they are not easy to kill. They also don't require fuel like vehicles.
And depending on squad type 1-3 soldiers can carry grenade launchers, AT rifles or anti-tank missiles.
A Delta Force squad is really powerful if used correctly.

Nope.Planing and mechanics is part of death, micromanaging is mostly busywork.
And while there will always be SOME need to micromanage, when you have a large number of units in big battles, it becomes a chore.

In C:FW, the AI is mart enough to use abilities effectively. Heck ,you can create a fleet, assign an admiral to it and give him an order (like Search and Destroy or Defend) and he will do a damn good job. The AI will rotate damaged ships, pull the battlegroup back for repair and ressuply and generally do a far better job of staying alive.
And yes, I did say supply. You have supplies in this game, you CAN win a war of attrition against an enemy fleet by cutting off it's supply lines or destroying supply ships.
A ship without supplies is a sitting duck, since all abilities and ALL weapon fire costs supplies.

I can already tell from far away that this sucks ass

Does Supcom/Faf work under Wine?

Not really no. I think some attempts have been made recently but from what I can tell it isn't what you would call playable yet.

Did they fix the networking for this game?

Never. I wish EA would give out the Sage Engine though

Forget Battalion is out in Early Access
I expect the worst

I expect worse than worst.

I look forward to all the mini DLC and for the devs to completely miss the point for the thousandth time.

WTF those still exist? I want to believe!

Looks French.

Why hasn't Starcraft Remastered been pirated, anyway?

Always Online DRM iirc and nobody gives a shit.

The shitty age of empires remasters were only ok because they were on steam
and even then they were shittier than the originals, fuck that AI, I'm to used to playing different RTSs which actually shit like autocast and other annoying shit
fuck shitty priest spamming AI

I always found that the Age of Empires II HD AI had a strange fascination of spamming as many fireships as possible in any body of water. Even if it was a mostly land map.

Should I buy forged batallion ?
I thought of waiting for AoE4, but at this point im sure Relic will fuck it up somehow.

They're both massive fuck ups.

I can't get away from the RTS itch user.
I've played FAF to death already.

play the original ground control fgt

Keep waiting… maybe one day we get the RTS game we deserve.
Forged Batailon seems actually filled with good ideas and has potential… But the design and those graphics destroy it for me… I will probably pirate first and decide on buying…

Meanwhile AoE4… What am I supposed to expect? Because I expect it to be shit.

The question is not if AOE IV will be shit, but how it will be shit.

and after a quick search I found the reason.
Open at own risk.
archive.is/I73hl

cringey as fuck memes and i couldn't read it any further
this is why we can't have nice things

We need something that will Make RTS Great Again. It feels like the devs that used to make RTS games don't know how to make them anymore, or fail to understand what was good about them.

Another warcraft 3 or supcom might do it
Unfortunately all the publishers and developers keep trying to make extra dolleridoos off the backs of other peoples volunteered hard work

After looking through all of Pedoglypths work I have come to one solid conclusion.
The devs are absolutely beyond fucking retarded.
They ride so hard on the back of C&C yet they have no clue as to why that series worked. Also they make their major selling point Frank Klepacki which nice music and all but music does not a video game make. Otherwise what are you doing in the vidya business and not record industry?
It is also like the studio is completely devoid of imagination and creativity, with all their unit designs feeling like pale imitations from previous or older games.
Also why the fuck did they not expand on the game engine they used for Star Wars Empire at War? It had excellent potential yet the devs abandoned it pretty much as soon as they were done with the game refusing to touch it like it was a pair of Mark's dirty underwear. Literally as if they were ashamed of their biggest success.

Are you ready for Supreme Commander MOBA Edition in the future?

Playing Armies of Exigo at the moment.

Shit's good.

Hmm. I'll give it a look at.

Try the campaign.

Shit's good.

boku no pico

Warcraft 3 actually did a lot of damage to the industry by pushing the hero units bullshit.

I liked where *R.U.S.E. was going, it was simple enough anyone could pick it up and games were normally done quickly. Also low micro.
Some sort of remake along those lines with actual post-launch support and not trying to support consoles would be a good way to attract some of the younger AHDH generation into RTS and provide a market for the more complicated games.

WC3 hero shit is nothing compared to the fact WC3 fanmaps give birth to tower defense and DotA.

Hate it or leave it but Creative Assembly remains one of the last good strategy devs, for mainstream at least.

Petroglyph makes good games but they just don't realize RTS is more about balance, they need aeshetics, story and fun.

What are those niggers thinking?

This, also warcraft 3 did literally nothing wrong, hero units have been around for a long fucking time
The people who blame warcraft 3 for moba trash are likely kiddies who never played any older RTS apart from AoE II HD, besides, Starcraft is the true source of the infection, its just that warcraft 3 had a better map editor which made it more popular its a shame blizzard and jewish companies have fucked over the industry by trying to control this for more shekels
also Dark Dwarves best race, fuck fey and fuck undead

They aren't thinking. 8bit armies and Grey Goo both point to Petroglyph's brain death.

Please go

No one is perfect, Paradox is much, much worse regarding DLC.

though atleast CA gave alot of Free Content such as a free faction, free lords, features and so on while Paradox DLC EVERYTHING and little to no worthwhile Free Content

DLC is cancer

Has Paradox every released a complete game?

implying anyone actually pays money for paradox games instead of pirating them + all their dlc.

Maybe if you go back far enough.

Luckily I saved before doing that.

3rd Human mission on hard is fucking bugged, just ignore enemy base and make a bumrush to Margoth.

i'm torrenting armies of exigo atm, gonna play it a bit tonight and see how it is.
anyone know if there's a multiplayer scene still? i know the official servers were shutdown, but is there a private server up anywhere online? or do folks just use hamachi?

Never heard of this before, why?

It came out around the same time as warcraft 3, which sort of killed any attention towards it
If they had released earlier that year they definitely would have got more sales

Probably hamachi. It's an EA property so it's not up on steam or gog

The only seige unit you get you have to capture in the first base and even then units from the second will attack you the second you target something with it. It is bullshit.

If you want an example of infantry done well look at the Vietnam Glory Obscured mod for generals. Each unit is specialized and is a hard counter to something else. With the right unit combination and positioning you can take out a much larger and stronger force. In short though

Vehicles in most games are insanely cheap and anti-armor infantry do pitiful amounts of damage to them.

IMO, for infantries to be useful, they just need to be organized into squad, just like real life.

This is why DoW and CoH have stupid awesome infantries.

Man, the tale of Liquid Entertainment is sad, they make a fucking masterpiece, Battle Realms then went into obscurity.

That mission is a lot about your priests and using them to keep your units alive. If you notice it, there aren't that many enemy units as you'd think or towers for that matter. Keep 15 Priests nearby your army constantly healing, use their Bless on every unit and focus the towers first. Always focus the towers first.
You also have Elric in your army and he has a skill to increase the defense of units. Use that on a full stack of swordsman and they'll tank damage alright, especially with priests nearby.

What I usually do in Exigo for humans is to keep Ctrl+1 for melee shock troops with 10 Swordsman and 5 Spearmen. Spearmen are very usefull against Ogres and have higher damage but they don't last as long as Swordsman.
Then you keep 15 Archers on Ctrl+2 or 10 Archers and 5 Mages if you have unlocked them. You can easily focus down someone with this group just by tapping it and clicking on someone.
In Ctrl+3, you put 15 Priests or 10 Priests and 5 Dryads later on. An attack-move for them has them healing people as they go by but be carefull not to send them too forward. You can also tell them to guard one of your Swordsman and they'll follow behind.
Once you have Siege or fancy shit like Phoneix, you plop them on Ctrl+4 and you're set.
Now set these 4 groups to F1 and you got a roving army that can take down most things. For funsies, use Groups 6-9 for a secondary army with the same composition.

Keep in mind that there's a few tricks here to help you with your micro. Supposing that you go with the composition I told you, you can click on the Spearmen from the first group and now whenever you press 1, they'll be selected which lets you use their power faster. This is very important for group 2 so you can use the Mage's spells or for group 3 where you can tap it and then spam a few Blesses around your units.

I still don't know how to play with Beasts though. Their healing seems incredibly shitty since it needs sacrifices and Oxes seems like they fill that role but they're too damn expensive for that.

15 priests? I had like 3. After that I started having a min of 5 close to any battle group just to heal up damage.
Most of the archers survived the first attempt, so it a simple job to train more pike and sword to eventually crush em.

Gave that a little try. It's weird, but not bad. Kinda wish the campaigns generated an autosave once you start a new mission, otherwise you really will lose progress that way since you can't select individual missions.

Priests have a small cooldown on their healing and casting time. If you have too little, they'll never be able to out-heal the damage done to your army.
On the other hand, if you keep 15 a-moving towards your army, everyone will stay at full HP very easily, plus Bless is amazing for damage expecially on your Archers and later on you get Resurrection for even more staying power.
Just remenber to use the super-groups feature of the game for moving an entire army and then using control groups to micro orders like targetting with archers, buffing and moving priests, it's very manegable like this.

I'm also recommending 15 priests because that's how many you can fit into a specific control group, but once you get the Dryads, you'll want 5 of them there instead since their powers are pretty neat. Same thing for the Mages, that end up being a bit of an upgrade to Archers but they do need a bit more micro.

If properly utilized, Archers will outlive your infantry since they can fire from afar, especially with the upgrade, but keep in mind that once your infantry is dead, the archers will drop like flies.
You'll need a battalion of priests to keep them alive and remenber to keep making more as needed for replacements (until you have Resurrection that is)

Also, almost none of this shit carries on to other factions. The super control groups does, and it's a pretty great feature to help you with micro, but the way they work is massively different, especially due to the veterancy system being different from them.

I suspect most of the real talent left long ago.

nichegamer.com/2018/01/19/age-empires-definitive-edition-launches-february-20/

archive.is/wrF5o

Aaaaaand dropped.

Just wait for the Relic version.

That has been known for almost half a year now user

anybody played Pic related?
its a breddy good RTT if you are into WW2 or like somewhat realistic RTT´s its pretty much Sudden Strike´s Bigger Badder Brother Just my opinion dont get mad you SS fans

For starters it has a German campaign AKA:The actual good guys
and the game focuses more on maneuvering and Exploring the battlefield (Fog of war plays a important role on the game because most units can shoot farther than they can see) than on gookclicking and spamming
also every unit has a meaning (Ie:you need infantry to take AT emplacements or on closed urban environment, Tanks take one or two well placed hits to go down, You need artillery to take down enemy fortifications etc…)

Long story short:If you like sudden strike WW2 or RTT´s in general give this one a try

anybody played Pic related?
its a breddy good RTT if you are into WW2 or like somewhat realistic RTT´s its pretty much Sudden Strike´s Bigger Badder Brother Just my opinion dont get mad you SS fans

For starters it has a German campaign AKA:The actual good guys
and the game focuses more on maneuvering and Exploring the battlefield (Fog of war plays a important role on the game because most units can shoot farther than they can see) than on gookclicking and spamming
also every unit has a meaning (Ie:you need infantry to take AT emplacements or on closed urban environment, Tanks take one or two well placed hits to go down, You need artillery to take down enemy fortifications etc…)

Long story short:If you like sudden strike WW2 or RTT´s in general give this one a try

why the fuck did my post duplicate?

(mods fix plz)

Most anons from Europe/the UK should have played Blitzkrieg but yeh it's pretty good. There are also games in the same engine like picrelated and Stalingrad but from different devs. Blitzkrieg 2 went 3D but is still good fun.