Another Breath of the Wild thread

I'm curious as to what 8ch Holla Forums's opinion of BotW was/is.

I'm coming at this from someone who has no allegiance in any gay halfchan "console wars" or anything to that effect. And the only other Zelda game I've played was OoT.

Firstly. I think the base mechanics of the game are fantastic, the introduction of verticality in the form of climbing virtually any surface or structure is something you'll probably see added into other open world games as standard more and more as we move forward. Likewise for the impact dynamic weather has upon the landscape (lakes and ponds filling up where they weren't before).

But I can't help but feel that the world itself doesn't really feel "lived in" to any believable degree. I realize this is a Zelda game, as a result it's purposefully light on lore and narrative, but when you're creating an open world fantasy game I feel you're more pushed to give a sense of purpose to the landmarks, towns and other features you create. TES does this fairly well, each town in every game since Morrowind has a certain history, culture and purpose for being - and they've gotten better at characterizing minor NPCs to give them a reason for existing where they are (consider the Breton merchant in Whiterun for example).

BotW is scarce on anything like this though, it's a really fun sandbox world to fool around in, but nothing feels fleshed out or meaningful. Again, there's no "purpose to being" with the locations and characters who inhabit the world.

Thoughts?

Tell us user, why did you qualify it with this?
I'll be waiting.
My personal feel about it is that its Nintendo's skyrim with watered down ARPG combat

Great concepts but a mediocre execution. The entire world, aside from that village with the loli scientist, felt unfinished. And the weapon degradation was a terrible idea.

I mainly post over at Holla Forums, this is my first post on Holla Forums. Had no idea it was so active.

I don't feel the settings or the gameplay are similar enough to merit comparison except in a very broad sense.

You can tell they picked a post post-apocalyptic world as a design/hardware choice, less stuff to render and so on. It's understandable but yeah, the end result is that there's very little actually explore and there's a sense of emptiness to the world, physically and in terms of what I mentioned above (a purpose for everything).

The beasts are great though.

If I wanted Skyrim I'd go and play Skyrim

I don't think it's a matter of it being more like Skyrim. For me, an open world fantasy game of any description needs these things, The Witcher 3 for example isn't Skyrim, but each place you visit has its own history, NPCs with a fair amount of characterization, a certain history to the world at large and so on.

I just find BotW to be really shallow in this regard, and it impedes my effort to emotionally invest myself in the world as a whole. I don't really care about Hyrule or its denizens.

I'm scared to ask if you even know why that's the case.

Get the absolute fuck out.

I don't follow halfchan Holla Forums these days. Has something new happened since the Gamergate thing?

goddamn man, what the fuck? Just how new are you?
This board is actually going through a bit of a slow period right now but Gamergate is the reason Holla Forums is alive to begin with.
Have you ever asked anyone on Holla Forums what it was like before the second exodus at all?

Mods tried pulling the same shit when Neogaf imploded, then Hiro let the site get infected with malware for bitcoin mining.

I've been following Holla Forums for years dude, back when it replaced /n/ transportation in 2006. I just never really cared about gamergate or any of that gay stuff. It brought a lot of alt-liters of the Sargon of Akkad variety to right-wing boards and forums unfortunately.

I hate that every weapon you find eventually breaks, and there's no weaponcrafting. Even the Master Sword breaks (though it recharges on a 10min cooldown).
Upgrading your armor was a neat addition, and having to find and tame a horse rather than being given one was fun.
The thing I don't appreciate though is having to find 900 of those fucking seeds; There's fetch-quests and then there's fucking with you, and finding 900 items definitely falls into the latter.

Average
Overhyped and overrated as shit like everything but Majoras Mask after Ocarina of Time.

I felt it was slightly above average, mainly because it was trying to put a spin on western games rather than truly innovate the series. the four main dungeons we're quite lackluster and the shrine system is terrible. I liked exploring the world, however that's all the game has going for it.

Pretty much this. They had ideas but they didn't follow through. It is very unfinished in a lot of areas. It also lacked a lot of the iconic stuff you'd expect for a Zelda game. Main dungeons lacking puzzles, no memorable soundtrack and very little story. I think it went a little overboard with collectables with Korok seeds and most of the voice acting was terrible. The next game made with this same engine should be better but Breath of the Wild was really just a giant experiment for Nintendo.

Over-hyped because it's a Zelda game that did something different but was just a mess of a game if looked at objectively. Super Mario at least looked like it did what it was striving to do that Breath of the Wild failed at when it was released.

that's a shame.
Anyways Gamergate was literally what gave Holla Forums actual life outside of a few really obscure boards and shit. 400 PPH was quite common here as well as over 3.3k unique IPs posting. Holla Forums could get over 500 easily.
At least tell me you know who hotwheels is.

Probably on par to be the worst zelda game in my books next to that one gamecube one.

I think its about time for you to kill thy self

Of course.

Yeah, I know that. I'm just a bit butthurt because a lot of the GG crowd ended up being people who don't really care about nationalism, call themselves "moderates", believe in stuff like the "horseshoe theory" etc.

But we'll have that discussion another time.

Witcher 3 really is better tbh.

It used to be "It's a shitty game" because most people who said it was good were the type of dicksuckers that acted like the game was the second coming of Christ. Now opinions are fairly mixed, with most people saying that there's too many shrines and that most of them are either too simple or too repetitive. Another gripe people seem to have is that weapons don't last long enough, and that there's no way to repair things.

The Cuckistani retards were bearable since there were so few of them, but the election really made things go to shit. Now you have memeing fucks from 4chan and r/The_Donald poluting the place, making it into an absolute joke.

Witcher 3 isn't without its flaws, but it really is a fantastic game. Easily the best open world RPG, if not game, ever made. At some point in the not too distant future I'm sure CDPR will grace us with a single screenshot of Cyberpunk 2077 too, which should be fun.

Standard empty open-world meme game in Zelda world.

The core gameplay is fine for the most part, but it's got a huge world simply for the sake of it, and not much to fill it with or collect. It's story gives a "We didn't really care" vibe. I think the director said he wrote it in a week or something. Which extends into making whats left of the "timeline" into a bigger mess, by just shoving random references all over the place. If they're going to make it clear they don't give a shit about the story/continuity. Why should I be invested?

So overall it's an okay Zelda. But comparing it to all the other 3D ones it only really beats Skyward Sword in terms of how fun it was.

Nah

Initially I thought it would be a good, new recruits and what have you. But it's difficult to reason with a lot of these people since they unironically adopt that sort of "leftists are the real racists!" rhetoric that faux-conservative types love.

Forgive me if this comes off as abrasive, but I've never understood why Zelda fans even care about the timeline. If you're looking for action/adventure or RPGs with a more coherent, better written overarching story, there are dozens out there. Why not get into them instead?

its literally the worst game ever made

It's breddy good. Kinda overstays its welcome after a while though.

The only parts that are standout bad are the story, cutscenes and the voice acting. Really hope they don't repeat that and go back to the old format

You could climb any vertical surface even in Daggerfall. It's just a silly gimmick they ditched in the later game. There's no reason to add it to most open world games unless climbing is an essential part of the game. Say, an RPG in which you explore mountain ranges or some hellish pit into the underworld. It's certainly not a necessity or anything revolutionary.

I liked it simply because it removes the annoyance of that sort of jump-climbing thing you do in TES and some other open-world games. It feels more fluid to actually have a mechanic attached to it.

You're unusually polite for someone who fell for that false meme. Gamergate if anything, helped redpill a lot of people.

I hope you're still not using 8/pol/ for anything more than digging either way if you sincerely care about nationalism. The moderation there is beyond compromised and also shit in general. Kampfy is a turkroach sperg, and its unusable with the sheer amount of shilling present.
8/polk/ isn't any better unfortunately.

I know, on a less ostensible level a lot of people got into verboten material and it helped actually red-pill them in the fullest. The more obvious examples were people like Sargon unfortunately, I just can't stand that whole "we're the REAL liberals" rhetoric. It's a road to nowhere.

And yeah, the moderation isn't the best.

Started playing this earlier today, somewhat unimpressed, but still intrigued so that's my take.

Nah, filtered and reported. Cuck.

This reflexive hostility is exactly what turned halfchan Holla Forums to shit around 08/09. Holla Forums had this ongoing board meme that they were this "rage man" who "hated everything", and the end result was that newcomers ended up actually internalizing this and believing it to be bona fide. What followed was what you see today, just endless, unmitigated shitposting about console wars, fans of one game or platform purposefully trying to force memes and disrupt discussion of other games and what have you.

The "Holla Forums hates everything xD" meme was the worst thing to happen to that board.

Relax man, report and/or filter and move on. You should expect this sort of thing for a BotW thread.