Games You Should Have Played Already

Alright Holla Forums, we've got loads of charts and infographics about "essential" Holla Forums games and "Holla Forums-approved" vidya. This is different. This is a security checkpoint.

ITT: Post games that anyone currently browsing Holla Forums should be ashamed for not having played them yet.

Games that are the minimum requirement in order to have anyone take your opinion seriously. Prerequisites for having any worthwhile discussion about video games. Not necessarily the best of the best, but the ones that are absolute staples.

Point is:
IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED ANY OF THESE GAMES YET, EITHER DROP EVERYTHING AND PLAY THEM IMMEDIATELY OR GET OFF Holla Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WvNB59nrZl-1Vte-eg5L0Zsf9oKHnljMYgVCwr196g4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you use a checklist of old game you need to play to feel validated, it's because you're an underage faggot who was too young to play them back in the day.

DOOM is fun, Deus Ex is shit, and by God I will not play any Nintoddler garbage.

This post dedicated to just the mandatory Half-Life stuff.
Half-Life
TFC
Counterstrike
Ricochet
Natural Selection (1.4)
Sven Co-Op

Earth's Special Forces mod is just if you want to talk about DBZ games and not sound like a pleb.

(cont)

found the underage cawadoody fag

and the contrarian

Agreed. It's not about feeling validated, it's about not being a cuck who tries talking about video games when he hasn't played the staples of the medium. Are you telling me the quality of discussion on Holla Forums wouldn't be improved if people played more games and actually took the time to understand the medium?

Never played a single one of these.

You talk like a faggot. Sage for double post.

Nah

hmm

HoMM3

Half-Life is a good one, debatably Counter-Strike. The others, while worthwhile plays, aren't what I'm talking about. We're talking the absolute barebones essentials. An user can be forgiven for not having played Natural Selection. Not so for fucking Doom.

Wrong. Games are turn-based and sports are realtime, so most of those aren't even video games but video sports.
Get off my video games board.

Ah yes, I remember trying to compile a list like this for each genre several years back. We never did end up finishing it.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WvNB59nrZl-1Vte-eg5L0Zsf9oKHnljMYgVCwr196g4

Super metroid is kind of boring and over-rated.

wew nice meme :^)

You stupid slut, you whore, you hag. Sports are for normalfags, games are for patricians. Who are you to proclaim normalcuck bait like soccer, baseball, freeze tag, and Italian Plumber Cuckventure are better than the likes of chess, go, Age of Empires, and other classic games?

So, you think you know shit about shoot them downs (STDs), eh? Well then you better have played, at minimum:
-Galaga
-R-Type
-Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou
-Zanac
-Raiden II/DX
-Darius Gaiden
-Cho Ren Sha 68K
-Dodonpachi

You should have left a long time ago.

Y-You too

Poor bait, but you got me to reply

You're wrong, but at least you've played it. Like I said, they don't have to be the best games ever, just the ones everyone on Holla Forums should have played already.

Wasn't me, those entries were assembled from posts in threads. We had a process for addition and removal of entries, can't remember what it was.

Call me when they transition into true games via the superior turn-based format for deep, thoughtful gameplay instead of babby's first dodgeball clone

This is the tilesets for Skirmish Wars: Advance Battles. The official tabletop adaptation of Advance Wars.
There's also a Vassal Engine version of it, and I believe TTS as well.
So… if you're ever in the mood to play Advance Wars multiplayer with other anons, except slower, and tabletop, there's your option for it.

Oh shit, never knew that existed. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

What the fuck were you people doing

those games look old. why would i want to play old games.

Chrono Trigger

Don't shoot the messenger, those were the shit suggestions in the thread. I don't bother with some genres so I wasn't about to claim to be an expert on them.

Worse, most of these aren't even games at all but glorified toys and video sports for children. Real men grow out of sports and move on to games proper, only manchildren obsess over sports and video sports.

wew

I am not a navel weapon, but if video sport manchildren were a boat and I were a torpedo I would happily sacrifice myself just to see you disgusting creatures become food for the sharks

If you like the thought of a RTS space empire sim thats not turn based with diplomacy fleets and just space.Sins of a solar empire. The games are fucking long. like hours per match. Its not for everyone.

>OP ASKS GOOD QUESTION
>EVERYONE INTENTIONALLY SUGGESTS TOTAL SHIT ON PURPOSE TO BE ASSHOLES
FUCKERS, YOU BRING SHAME TO ROLFS Holla Forums GARDEN, SON OF A CUCUMBERS SHEPARD

It's honestly one of the cheapest war games on the market. The PDFs are out there for it and the expansions, and even getting them printed on good cardstock and laminated will only set you back $20-30, which means it's still one of the cheapest options.

Pay the plebs no mind, we can discuss Age of Empires in peace.
Are games with a mixture of realtime and turn-based elements like the Fallout series a sport-game hybrid?

Just play this one and you're set.

And Also the Halfchan tabletop rpg of the same name. It's bretty gud

These will be subjective. Doom is pretty debatable because it has been redone and outdone many times since. There is no denying it's place in game history, though.

Playing Half-Life's mods is an essential experience to understand why Half-Life 1 was so pivotal, and I listed the ones that were very formative on my view of games, except maybe Ricochet which was just Disks of Tron wish fulfillment.

Sven Co-Op is actually the most unforgivable one I posted, though. Since there used to be fucking daily game play of that shit here on this board, you antisocial faggot.

Nah, pass.
I'm not gonna discuss them here with the rest of the autists anyway so what's the point in playing? Also fuck this whole "minimum requirements to join the cool kids club" bullshit, this isn't hlafchan OP.

These threads are always complete fucking garbage.

Alundra
LoZ: LTTP
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Dance Fance Revolution
Super Smas Brothers
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Ikaruga
Myst
Disgaea
Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball

Back to Reddit

Why Disgaea?

Why Ikaruga?

You sure fit in you faggot JRPG player
>>>/cuckchan/

Pump It Up is the superior dancing game franchise.

Puzzling out how to make the map explode is comfy as fuck, fam.

On top of pattern recognition, it made you keep treack of what pattern to recognize. Also, fucking beautiful.

Fuck off, Koreaboo. play either at least once. idgaf

I just single-credit cleared Ikaruga yesterday. Game is overrated as fuck and didn't even come up with the polarity mechanic first.

I cannot get into Chrono Trigger and I could not tell you why. I got to the part where you're in a chapel or something and couldn't be asked to keep going.

Then why did you come?

Also for OP, you really should try out AW. The tutorial is pretty long but it's really great when you get past it.

Nigger don't fall for something that obvious.

sincerely c50155

Was Alundra even that widely published? I imagine any number of anons missed it for innocent reasons.

It was a fun game, although I never finished it. I'm 2casual for long dungeons followed by one-hit-kill bosses.

I play whatever i want, nigger.Check my 1

I got to Hong Kong in Deus Ex but the game alreaady bored me to death even though i want to keep playing for the story

PS1 FFT or PSP FFT
They're both on sale on PSN

Here are some well-rounded games that excel at pretty much everything they set out to do. That is to say their gameplay, music, visuals, and (if it exists) story are all great so anyone should be able to appreciate them no matter your taste.

They are all more bland than vanilla. Got it.

If you play everything it means you don't have refined taste. If you stick to what you know you like, you'll both enjoy games more, and have more in-depth opinions on the games that you enjoy. Fuck this "you must play these arbitrarily designed games to be le true gamer xD!" bullshit.

I meant "assigned", not "designed". Fuck I'm tired.

That's a good point, I guess I should rephrase.

The stealth pentalogy.

i tried blood money,didn't like it,should retry it sometime.

City building/god sims

Play it; it's the most accessible Hitman game that isn't totally casualized.

I did,it didn't really grab me,not sure why.

Here are three good games that anybody enjoy.

(1) Brave Fencer Musashi

(2) The Battle For Wesnoth (a free open source game that is quite good)

(3) Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (SNES Version)

Are you niggers fucking serious. Also not everyone is going to like all of these and this list will be the same shit as the ones you said that didn't work but it won't hurt to try. RA2 can be interchanged with TS.

Honestly, people who don't bother to play fantastic freeware games are scum.

All right faggots, high quality free games, nobody has any excuse not to have played these except being a mindless consumerist faggot:

Cho Ren Sha 68K
Vacant Ark
Iwanaga
MECHA Ritz
Everything by Locomalito (Hydorah, Viriax, etc.)
Everything by Linley Henzell (Garden of Colored Lights, White Butterfly, etc.)
Everything by Kenta Cho
Radio Zonde
Genetos
Zen-Ichi
Hyper Wars
nomItest
Varia
Go Beryllium!
Galshell
Psyche Metal: The Bleeding
La-Mulana
OpenTTD
Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: Part I of the Hoopz Barkley Saga
Cave Story
Spelunky
Enemy Territory: Return to Castle Wolfenstein
The Ur-Quan Masters
Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch
Exile trilogy and Blades of Exile
Wind & Water Puzzle Battles
Battle for Wesnoth
Ace of Spades 0.54 if you have friends to play it with
Apparently the first three Command & Conquer games are freeware now???
SuperTuxKart
OpenRA

Doesn't it piss you off? I like Vegastrike so much as well, but the devs are idle/don't care any longer and I am helpless without any programming knowledge. If one wanted to really create games from scratch that were modern, what programming languages would one have to learn? I might be unskilled, but I have all the time in the world and burning hate for SJW scum who have ruined "The profitable gaming industry."

The fuck?

Midway Arcade Treasures was the funnest shit.

Indeed, I loved the interviews on the disc where they talk about making the games and how games like Defender were predicted to fail, and then broke sales records. I also tried to austically get the glitch in Sinistar that gives you 250 lives.

Huh, this guy had a hand in H2Overdrive (the real successor to Hydro Thunder). I should really try to play that sometime.

Oddly enough Chrono Trigger became "cool to hate" in recent days, while people go out of their way to defend Chrono Cross as some kind of hidden gem. Hipster contrariness is a cancerous mindset.

hating Trigger is just retarded, but I have heard that Cross viewed as a separate entity from Trigger is a decent RPG for its time. Never played it, mind you.

this is like the shit people try to pull with Dark Souls 2
its a waste of fucking time

F.E.A.R.
Oddworld: Abe's Oddyysee
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast
Metroid Prime
Soul Calibur II
Destroy All Humans!
All games I will have less respect for people if I find out they haven't played them.

People don't seem to understand this thread, just posting a bunch of random shit.

Jagged Alliance 2 is a must.

Much like you're posting

I don't like first person shooters. Deal with it.

Doom is in no way debatable. any one who wants to make a a good FPS needs to have played through Doom a couple of times. Doom is almost flawless in the same way Tetris is flawless. It's the concept taken to it's ultimate conclusion when you strip away all the extra junk.

Surely you guys have all played Dragon Quest by now right?

McFucking kill urself.

JRPGs have never been a very good genre. They used low quality combat as an excuse to drag out a novel. Modern games just handle story better so early JRPGs often struggle to stand up any more.

The genre just got pushed out of the market because it no longer needed to exist. This wasn't helped by the fact that autistic retards would disrupt discussions by showing it in people's faces. FF7/OoT/Earthbound/Chrono trigger are all "TEH GREATEST GAME EVER!" and then you pick them up and they've aged like milk. I enjoyed JRPGs in my youth, they were fun back then but things moved on and those games just don't hold up any more. It's the same way text adventures don't hold up any more. What they tried to do we now do better and they lose their value by being out dated tech.

A game like Mario World or Crash Bandicoot still stands up really well today. Grinding 5 hours of menus to get to some dialog just doesn't appeal any more.

Goddamn, its been a while since I've encountered this shit of an opinion

Actually, I can sort of vouch for that. Souls 2 was my first Souls game, and I quite enjoyed it, though it definitely pales compared to the first.

Hey that list doesn't even imply quality. Those are just some important/iconic milestones. I think Dodonpachi is crap actually. It's important to play it and understand where the Cancer Killing the Shmup metastasized though. I'm a giant Raizing fan and I might only have people play Battle Garegga to understand how retarded some arcade developers could get hiding bullshit adaptive difficulty systems from the player to suck up their coins.

Although Darius Gaiden and Gradius II without question blow apart their predecessors.

Nice of you to just ignore everything said and declare it shit.

You have nostalgia for a game. That's fine. It doesn't mean it hasn't aged poorly.

Dark Souls 2's biggest problems are the bonfire system fucks it over hard. You don't get a sense of the world when you're constantly teleporting around it.

The lighting system is also a shame. It would have done much better had they not massively upped the lighting. But this also plays into the bonfire system problems. Imagine how creepy Das2 would have been if you were stuck in the Gulch, just stuck there until you killed the boss and lit the primal bonfire. It would have become a creepy horror game rather than a lack luster dungeon crawler.

There's good content there, it's just the main mechanics which support it got gutted.

I'm afraid your cancer is terminal, user. I'm sorry.

I'll try to stick to what are really essentials in their genres. It seems like some of us are taking this thread as an excuse to show off taste/depth of knowledge, which really isn't the point, this should be about the bare minimum shallow end of the pool.

Pong
Adventure
Tetris
Pac-Man
Galaxian or Galaga
Dig-Dug
Pole Position
Donkey Kong 1
Super Mario (Bros.) 1, 3, World, and 64
Contra 1
Castlevania 1
Double Dragon 1
River City Ransom
Any Metal Slug game
Any true classic Mega Man game (1-6)
Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson's or Featuring Mr. Dream) (Wii is an acceptable substitute)
X-COM UFO Defense
Any mainline Civilization game
Starcraft 1
Diablo 1
Baldur's gate
Any SimCity game
The Sims 1 (2 works too)

Thanks for demonstrating the point of this thread.

Yeah totally doesn't reek of a shit opinion, my bad
feel free to go back to reddit and complain about "genwunners" while you're at it

Anyway…

Ys series
Trails series
Xanadu Next
Zwei!! and Zwei II
Brandish series

In early JRPGs you had to sell every single item 1 at a time. If you had 50 magic rings to sell it was 3 button presses to sell each one. Now it's select it, select 50 and hit sell. This is an example of a mechanic aging poorly.

I never mentioned graphics. A game like Pac-man hasn't aged at all. Nor have most 2D platformers.

It's only a new thing to call zelda a non-RPG. They were considered RPGs until Skyward sword came out then suddenly Zeldas action adventure.

Now you're just being retarded. Diablo 2 is easily the stand out title in that genre. The same for Sim City 2000. Those are the games that define those genres and playing any other version over them isn't playing the essentials.

Seeing as it's Star Wars season again. (even tho the new movies suck tbh)

Bull fucking shit. It was never consensus opinion that Zelda games were RPGs on 8/v/, 4/v/, or even fucking GameFAQs. The only Zelda game that could possibly ever have been properly classified as an RPG is Zelda 2, and even then, that's a stretch.
Lacks the atmosphere and overall quality of D1 using multiplayer as a crutch. Not as influential, even though it sold better.

lolno

God I wish video game advertising was still like this.

So this is the type of retard on 8/v/. I don't think I've ever seen a person so utterly stupid they think Diablo 2 is held up by multiplayer.

I'd recommend suicide but I don't think you could find where your brain is to put a bullet in it.

that 1 screenshot in the cabinet shows more gameplay than most modern trailers do/

Good job flagging yourself as a redditor, fag.

I gotta agree with the other guy, Diablo 1 was super tight and focused on what it was. D2 felt sloppy to me by comparison. Not saying it's not a good game though, I enjoyed both.

Sidescrolling Action:

Yea, I'm a Redditor. :^)

The best games aren't being selected for. The "must plays" are. Since Diablo 2 defines the genre it's the must play in the genre. Path of Exile is objectively superior to both in gameplay but it's not the genre defining game.

Goddamn, you are the definition of a redditor
I feel terrible for anyone who has ever listened to your opinion or recommendation on any game at any point in their life

Play PSO and don't waste your time with those shitty Diablo games.

Yea man, look how often people talk about Diablo 1. They er.. well they don't. But Diablo 2 gets constant apperance in marathons, large twitch viewerships and is still actively modded today.

You even type like a redditor, goddamn
Also
While we're at it why don't we recommend cod 4 for 'must-play FPS'?
You're retarded

Stop being so problematic while you derail the thread over a witch hunt that no one cares about. All you do is make this place unreadable and people leave.

Yes I would recommend CoD 4 as a must play to see how cancerous FPS became because of it. I would also recommend Halo 3 and Gears of war for the same reason. The 360 era happened. You can't just ignore it if you want to understand vidya.

What fresh retardation is this shit?
You value your time that little that you'd waste it playing literal garbage to understand why current year vidya is garbage?
That's the equivalent of reading the entirety of Marxism's library to realize that Communism is retarded

Well it's clear you don't play any games because you're here shit posting instead.

I'm actually playing Fire Emblem right now fag

As I said. No games.

?

Get off your fuckin high horse, millennial.

Diablo 1 was HUGE when it came out. Only youngfags don't think it's a genre-defining, must-play of a game.

I still say that part of vidya should be playing at least one tabletop RPG, and one Wargame at least once.

I'm not the one who dedicated a thread to it, you virtue signalling assburger.

Back to cuckchan friend, I heard they love shitposting over playing and discussing video games

Remember when this place discussed games and didn't immediately start claiming everyone who disagreed with them was an outsider?

all 3, and for different reasons

no user, it's always been like this,

>>>/reddit/

Maybe since you got here. Used to be a few retards on a twitch hunt but mostly discussion. I guess this place has now officially become Reddit where everyone worth a damn has left due to downvotes and pestering by idiots.

disappointed.

While you are correct about Desu Sex, you are wrong about Nintendiddlers! Advanced Wars is super fun

I you could only play one Dragon Quest game, then play III

(checked)
Jesus man Save some for other anons.

These ones are really good.
Also any of the smt games except p3,p4,p5 are pretty damn good as well

Can you not handle the color switching, user?

That's some pretty sweet box art.

Dark Messiah so people have a taste of an actual action adventure game.

see

FPS (and 3D in general) is way overdone and extremely boring for me now. I grew up with 8-bit computers with nice hand-crafted sprites, which eventually got replaced with shitty 3D models just for the sake of novelty, and then this "realism" crap that I never wanted in the first place.
For some actually interesting stuff, check out the RPGAddict blog. But he only covers one genre (CRPGs, including old roguelikes). But I also like text/graphic adventures, and there Infocom, Level 9, and Magnetic Scrolls are all excellent places to start. You can even run most of that stuff in Gargoyle (it's a front-end for a bunch of different interactive fiction engines), so you don't even have to use emulator.

i mean any smt games are great as long as you dont play p3,p4,p5

Why are you upping the ante on faggotry today, OP? I'll play whatever the fuck I want.

I liked Persona 3, fuck all of you, it’s my opinion and I’m standing by it

You know that his way of thinking leads to forcing yourself to like and say good things about things that others deem as great creating an artificial idea of what constitutes good taste instead of developing one yourself?

Persona 3 was pretty alright, but the second one was far better in term of gameplay.

I played NS2 does that count?

You get off Holla Forums for being a a faggot that likes overrated shit.

amen

both are patrician

I wonder how it feels to have wasted your life to this degree to where you didn't even have fun playing video games

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the PC Engine/Turbografx 16. It's criminally overlooked and has some great games on it!

I forgot Rondo of Blood was on that thing. Fuck, that had the best soundtrack out of the castlevanias, Symphony be damned.

I wonder if Jim stuffed Fredric's corpse into a tier, light it on fire and rolled it down a hill into the Pacific Ocean? A proper Taiwanese burial. Out of respect of course.
I sometimes miss the berenstein universe

forgot picture

Mandatory tacticool games.

SAGE TBH

I'd say out of all persona games Persona 5 is the most polished.
P3 is garbage (can't use party members, horrible autistic schedule management with no time for mingling) and P4 is just an outdated version since P5 is out

FEEL SHAME NOW ANONS

Good thing P3P fixed the party members then