Quake Questions

So I recently bought the game durring the steam sale, and while I'm liking the game so far there's a few things bugging me.

Is the game supposed to be this hard for me?

I know people say that old shooters are harder and all that, plus I'm playing on Hard Mode, but I feel like I should've gotten the hang of it since I've gotten through two of the four(?) parts.

Am I not using rocket jumping, the thing this game/series spawned? Is the difficulty badly scaled/managed on the dev's side?

Also part two was a let-down after there wasn't a big boss at the end. Those homing-spore enemies I got in place of a cool fight seem like total bullshit too with how rediculous their projectiles are.

Also general Quack thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

quaddicted.com/reviews/?filtered=mustplay
nquake.com
m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
q2s.tastyspleen.net
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not really, Quake is fairly liberal with medkits and ammo, so you might want to bump it up to NIGHTMARE which you do by finding a secret passage in one of the episode select passages

First of, if you're not, play it on quakespasm sourceport. Original game is bugged. Now to your questions

Game can be pretty hard, but when you learn what each enemy does, and what is the best weapon to deal with them, you should be ok. Few tips. Shamblers are 50% resistant to explosive weapons, best is to use the electric one or the faster nailer. Also opposite to doom, where super shotgun was your main gun, in quake, while super shotty is still pretty good at close range, use explosives on tougher enemies, quake is known for spongies, like the knights. And dont rocket jump except if u feel theres a secret, maps were not rly designed to HAVE to rocketjump.

And again, get quakespasm, get through the campaign, and then go into the true quake experience, aka fan maps quaddicted.com/reviews/?filtered=mustplay

And one more, picrel

Not really. You could always try Nightmare.
The fourth area is noticeably harder than the others, but overall the game isn't that tough.
They become a regular enemy later on, and yeah they're pretty annoying. Only the first part has a boss fight.

Is that Arcane Dimensions? It's fantastic. I'm no Quake fan, but the level design in this thing feels so conceptually well thought-out and clever. Never expected that from a mod, most AAA games are worse.

yeah, its amazing

Yes. You suck.

That aside, similar to Doom you have to keep moving all the time. If you just keep legging it at top speed you can stay away from Shalrath projectiles, in crowded rooms you can also maneuver so there is an enemy between you and the projectile, which gets rid of the projectile, hurts an enemy and may trigger infighting. You don't really need to bother with Rocket Jumping, it was/is used for getting around fast in multiplayer or speedrunning. Few mappers will hide secrets behind Rocket Jumps and nothing in the original maps require it either. Same goes for bunnyhopping, I use it but in vanilla Quake it's nowhere near as effective for gaining speed as it is in QW. You can only really use it in large relatively flat rooms are corridors unless you git gud anyway.

Other tricky enemy is Shamblers, the three options are
1) Have LG/SNG, spam it to death in 3 seconds and move on.
2) Fire from near cover, ducking when it goes to fire lightning at you.
3) Get in its face to bait melee attacks and keep firing at it while dodging them, you likely take a few lightning hits this way but fewer than you would trying to fight at a distance without cover.

Besides that play good maps and appreciate that Quakespasm isn't a piece of shit like GZDoom.

Protip for other anons: Don't do this. Your money goes to Zenimax. Bethesda.

I don't remember seeing that room with the portraits in AD, was it hidden in the secret level at the end?

its one of the secrets in forgotten sepulcher, i missed it too, discovered once i backtrack to see what i missed (i missed the bog lord or whatever he was called)

Nightmare difficulty makes the enemies a lot faster by the way. No respawning though, thank god. It also exists in Quake 2 but it's only selectable by the console. Hexen II it's selectable and behaves like in Quake, but in the expansion you can activate respawning enemies through finding a hidden Nightmare difficulty portal in the first level.

Quake harbors a very specific community that most games do not. If you are coming from doom you'll ha e a very different experience with the custom content. The quake community is very small and consists of a few dozen major producers, many of which have or work on AAA releases. Simon o callaghan, skacky and maik xavier come to mind. Because the tools and techniques in quake are so portable a lot of these guys practice or make levels as a hobby or to add to their portfolio. The bar for quality is set extremely high in new quake releases and you get a level of polish mods for other games almost never see.

This does mean you lose a bit of that amateurishness you see in other mods that some people like, but all too often that amateurishness means buggy, unfinished, lazy or poorly balanced when it comes to other mods.

Singleplayer is self explanatory. You kill things, they die, you git-gud.
All that shit aside, you keep moving, zigzag when you're afraid someone will hear you jump, perform item control on your opponent(s), alway wear headphones and git good at tracking where they are on the map through sound. Also memorize spawnpoints, and optionally make a hyper-autistic keybind config, and for the love of god use a god-damned sourceport and don't play netquake, netquake is for faggots.

Use QuakeSpasm or fteqw for singleplayer (faithful vs flashy)

Use fteqw or ezquake for multiplayer (humble and rad vs tryhard faggotry)

t. elitist opinions from a Quakefag

This. They all beat each other off on QuakeOne.com if you want a general idea.

I honestly find Quake to be boring.

If you want to play Multiplayer use nquake.com and also check out this guide for a basic intro to Quakeworld. m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg It's focused on duel but can be generally applied to TDM and FFA as well.
Here's a link to Quake 2 starter which is more popular in NA q2s.tastyspleen.net also for the record Doom is the first game to have a form of rocket jumping although its horizontal.

how is that even possible
just git gud

Why would you do this? Just pirate it, nobody who made it is getting a cut of your money.

To answer some questions, the maps aren't designed for you to be rocket jumping anywhere, that's something that spawned mostly from speedrunning and multiplayer. If you do that in singleplayer, you'll be breaking things and not getting the intended map experience. There's only going to be one more boss, and it's nothing special. In later levels you can definitely see the time constraints id was working with when making the game. You'll get better at the game, and you'll feel all the more accomplished when you do.

Follow everyone else's advice and ditch that Steam version, go download the Quakespasm port. It's infinitely better and you can play the Arcane Dimensions mod which is nothing short of amazing.
I also recommend setting gl_texturemode 1 in console to get rid of filtering so everything looks as clear as possible.

bait thread

reminder that a reboot of the original quake made by john carmack in the style of the old game but with new weapons would be GOAT

fuck reboots

Carmack doesn't make games, he just programs them. Actually, I don't think he even does that anymore.

Can you name one reboot that was ever good?

as in, it plays like the original but better with enemies reacting to damage and with an expanded art style, no time wasted on story

It shouldn't be. Quake wasn't a hard shooter, it was the multiplayer that was hard due to its high skill cap.
The game was designed expecting most players to play it with the arrow keys.

They had you need to rocket jump to access some secrets in Q2 and to pass a tutorial in QL but that's it

Shame on you for giving Bethesda and nu-id money.
The penultimate difficulty is usually the canonical difficulty in id games, but if you're really struggling, either play on normal or play on a server. In the latter you can respawn without losing your progress.
You don't need to.
No.
If I recall correctly, Act One is the only one that ends in a big boss like that. Once you finish the base game, the expansions will be much more your speed.

I will never understand Holla Forums's obsession over quakespasm, and NetQuake in general. FTE mit uns.

NetQuake is for hipsters, people who played the game on the original client without knowing any better, and elitist autists that fellate each other in IRC.

Carmack is the last person I'd expect to go the Commander Keen route again. If it doesn't involve making a new fancy engine then he won't do it, not well wnyways.

Too lazy to source but I remember Carmack saying he regrets not having made more Keen games now that he has kids.

The novelty of netquake is kind of neat but ultimately Quakeworld is better in every way unless you're one of those movement hating spergs. The 30 second weapon respawns in duel don't really work in Quake 1 either since there are fewer viable weapons than Q2 and movement feels like you're constantly underwater.

Does he have some sorta problem with his kids playing Mario games?

get out

It'd just be nice to make games himself.

That's rich, coming from a cuckchanner.

Fitting in better than you, apparently.