Can a sewer level be made to work? How would you do it, if you had to include one?

Can a sewer level be made to work? How would you do it, if you had to include one?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/V-Man339/
archive.fo/lhLsJ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Classic sewer level

Have the lights flicker and die out every so often, and have the water slow the player down. Having a linear system would bore most players and would just be a glorified walking simulator section, so have at least some branching paths to keep the player occupied.

I'd make it be like an actual sewer and trace the entire area it's suppose to be for, so you could use it to sneak around the city at night and lay low.

I'm glad they don't have virtual reality smell implemented yet.

First you make a good game and then you put a sewer level in it.

The Garamsythe Waterway wasn't bad.

Have human enemies above and something like Morlocks below, with the entire area having a sewer with some access points strewn over the level, giving the player an alternate path with alternate enemies with different attack patterns.

It depends on the game and genre, but there's lots of thematic elements to work with.
It also depends on the setting of your game; a modern day sewer is dark and dank with brutish concrete architecture; where as something like a fantasy setting might have sprawling anceint aquaducts or link the sewers into some kind of underdark. The reasoning and history of the locale have a lot of impact on what you can do with it; just as much as the game its set in.

What do you mean by "Can a sewer level be made to work?"
Why do they not already work?

I have a rare yet reoccurring dream of some kind of post-apoc situation where people live in sewers for no good reason dream actually started happening before I knew about metro so shut up kevin. It actually panned out a bit like temple run where you could go on all the walls and ceiling (square tunnels with rounded corners; not much brick as I remember it was all metal with a little water at the bottom throughout) except there weren't restricted lanes of travel (eg you could move left and right and onto walls as you pleased while running FAST). Additionally there wasn't a lot of civilization, and it was all far apart and for whatever reason you had to speedrun this gigantic asshole maze of a sewer to get to the next spot. Also I think there were giant rats or aliens or something.
Going to take a moment here to ideafag this…
Speedrun game where you are an courier and you have to deliver the mail to whatever random town exists that you have to go to and cross this huge huge sewer maze with absolutely no map what-so-ever during your run. Also there's probably rats or drowned zombies trying to eat you, but you don't get weapons because that would be too reasonable. The entire map would be completely handmade so that through experience you can navigate easily and go more FAST. Rate.

The main reason sewer levels suck so hard is because they tend to fall into many shit game design pitfalls.

Just avoid making bad game design decisions just to fit with the flavor of a sewer level and it'll probably be fine.

Oh right also

Yeah great

So, VTMB and sort of The Witcher

By making it include the turd burglar.

user…

I would make it a section that has you blaze through the whole area on some kind of high speed hoverbike or hoverboard while something pursues you.

Dark Souls
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bloodborne
Crash Bandicoot
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country
Batman NES
Banjo Kazooie

Yeah games tend make sewer levels a slow slog with the aforementioned maze-like designs and/or environmental/enemies with negative status effects. Movement should always be fun so if you could ride waves of sewage shit and go fast or slide around riding a bunch of rats or something would be great

MarI/O has become sentient?

user knows. This shitty cuckchan thread doesn't work if you don't blindly accept OP's faggoty assertion. Sewer levels are fine if you follow user's advice. And MP sewer maps are great if the sewer isn't the entire map and instead a secondary play area. There was a Half-Life map I was thinking of recently with a sewer running from one team spawn to the other, ending behind this two story house.

WHAT WAS THAT MAP'S NAME?

Only if most of the game is in the sewers.

I think it comes down to sound design and proper pacing. A game that normally is decently paced should slow way down in a sewer, because only repairmen go into sewers as part of their jobs, you are very clearly there because you are evading something. Enemies should be sparse, none of that climbing out of random holes bullshit. Any noise you make should echo and gunshots should be defeaning, but punctuate it with long stretches where all you hear is liquid moving through pipes and the sound of your boots in the water. Bullets should ricochet and that, combined with the loudness, should be used to raise the tension every time you get into a fight until you finally escape.

And when you do escape, make the whole ordeal worth it.

Isn't that a Counter-Strike map?
cs_estate or some shit?

metro 2033 is a sewer level :^)

I can recall both some of the best and some of the worst levels I've ever played in video games have been sewer levels.
So I'd say the answer to your first question is yes. As for your second question, I'm not a game developer so I don't fucking know

No, it's Militia since he mentions it ending behind a 2 story house

Well… I don't know things. You're right though, it was CS. I remember playing 1v1 now, and trying my hardest to get a sniper off the roof.

Yes, that's it!

Fucking why? What is your end goal with that autistic shit?
Instead of taking screenshots of games with picturesque sunsets or star filled nights, you take screenshots of the place where shit goes.

It legitimately started as a joke of "how many can I take in under 30 minutes" and now every time I see one I am compelled to screenshot it and catalog it.
I am over 50+ entries.

Jesus Christ buddy, you're one of a kind.

I run an autistically inclined, high-difficulty challenge run centered Youtube channel, mate.
The ship sailed long ago.

How can someone be THIS bad at SMB1?

I assume you're only doing so for games with Steam releases or something? Because if not, the lack of Crash Bandicoot 2 is noticeable.

HAAH
WAAW

post the screenshots, faggot

Yep.

Please, like I'm going that kind of distance.
steamcommunity.com/id/V-Man339/
Feel free to explore for yourself.

Artificial Intelligence.

Well there's two kinds of sewer levels I admire, one is functional shit-river colletion dump and the other is the Silent Hill spooky shit.

That's pretty autistic but I laughed at "the sewers within The Evil Within"

It really is just a passing thing. I feel like the dude from Time Squad keeping a souvenir from a mission whenever one pops up. At this point sewers are more enjoyable to me than pointless achievement pop ups.

Boy do I have some news for you.

archive.fo/lhLsJ

I always thought of this more of as an aqueduct than a sewer.

Paper Mario did it perfectly.

the cistern in skyram worked gr8 m8

This user knows whats up

I liked the sewer in Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven. It was nice and big with multiple entrances throughout a town.

A MILLION POUNDS OF TUBE STEAK

Has there ever been a game ballsy enough to, when in the middle of a sewer level, have an easter egg where you find a copy of the game you're currently playing floating in the sewage?

Is that you DSP?

Honestly, thanks for sharing. I find an achievement hunter getting bored and chasing down sewer levels in games to be hilarious

For a long time I took to showcasing nothing but tutorial achievements in defiance of how retarded that concept is.
I literally moved onto covering sewers in screenshots and underdocumented challenge runs in games on Youtube as a direct result of boredom with anything else, yes.

Make them moody and atmospheric

Embed is an example of what I like although it borders on walking sim tier and isn't a good thing.

I think either Dark Forces or Shadows of the Empire had one.

God fucking dammit user. I can't stop laughing.

quality baito, friendo, it's clear you're pretending to be retarded, but you got yourself a good handful of (you)'s anyway
irate 3/5

Make it optional. Sewer stealth level, or a hard as balls and unforgiving combat level.

with RATS and DISEASE and MYSTERIOUS DEAD BODIES and TEXT ON THE WALLS and easter eggs

At last I see, the Water Temple is actually a sewer, since the water passed beneath King Zora's ass and balls.

Very nice. Crypt of Cum had a good sewer story.

I expect this one to make the rounds. Good job, user, you're a super retard.

I can understand the hatred of water levels and sewers in which you have to swim all the time, but simply saying sewer levels in general are bad is just nonsense. Sewers can be really atmospheric.

Mirror's edge had a fun one

It is but from an aesthetic and level layout design it's functionally a "sewer" level.

The abomination on the right makes me feel nervous, as if I have half of a phobia for it.

Well done.

Sure, some of them might look nice in a picture, but I sure as hell, would never go there, because of the smell.

Depends if it's an active, functioning sewer or not.

Playing for the first time, Just found out Chex Quest 2 has a Sewer level

Trypophobia