Nioh Thread

Jesus fuck, how do I beat the dual boss missions? Getting my shit pushed in mere seconds.

Level 113, but my build is kinda all over the place. Might need to respec. Also, Nioh thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Reforge
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Protip: use low stance

Dual boss missions were intended to be the endgame before the DLCs rolled in. Those are more interesting to do at the point you're at. That, or try way of the strong, the difficulty curve is pretty flat compared to NG, it's mostly there to give you the occasion to optimize your build and get more familiar with the subtleties of the gear system.
Respec if you want, it's super cheap. But after NG the priority is to optimize your divine items, both by building their to 150+X levels and reforging to have the best weapon attributes.

Can't see any DLC missions. I still have Eyes of the Queen Main mission left, but I thought I'd finish the Optional stuff before the Main ones. If I complete the Main Mission, can I still do these optionals? Sounds like it's the actual end/start of NG+ or something.

Dumb question since I rarely buy games.
I bought the complete edition, will I get all future DLC too?

All of the future expansions already came out. The complete edition includes them. You have the full package. Congrats!

The Easy modo is just getting omnyo to 30, get Sloth and some of the buffs. Sloth the shit out of enemies and proceed to break their shit.

Yeah no, you want to do Queen's Eyes. It's the one that opens the next difficulty and the rewards for finishing the current one. Just be prepared for a tough fight against three dudes at once.

How exactly can I farm etherals in Way of the Wise? I had a smooth progression up until now but fuck, I can't do anything in this mode. Enemies just look my way and I get 1shot.

Even with my git gud techniques and my Yata Mirror to deflect stuff with perfect parry, my damage output is just too low.

FUCK THE NUES

Equip nine tails (ethereal drop bonus) and take a coop mission like Ginchiyo's request. Easiest way to do it since her damage will far outclass yours.

Just get them wet and they'll go ass up for you.

FUCK THE ONRYOKI during early game. Honestly I do so little damage and its combos are so unreliable that I haven't even gotten to its second fucking phase yet.

That's not really a normal situation, but I've seen someone say that they had no damage output for the onryoki before. What weapon are you using ? Which stats are you leveling up ?

Hit the chest area that glows from amrita to knock it down, you can roll through the breath attack and drink the elemental sake to be immune from getting the lightning debuff.

dude what? How?
It's literally the first boss, are you trying to fucking punch him to death? Are you only trying to poke him in his face in low stance doing single hits?
I'm trying to with all my might process how you're doing "so little damage". also his combos have one of the largest tells in the game how are you fucking it up

It's not unreliable at all. If you are really that desperate, take him from one side of the room to the other. When he arrives and attacks you, dodge and give him a few hits and dodge back to not get hit by his spinning move. He will not spin if it's his first attack on the last few seconds and you are in front of him. Now just move to the other side of the room(this one has some buckets and shit block your way that you can break by dashing into them) and repeat.

hit it once on recovery and then back off with a double mid stance dodge.
Double low stance won't get you out of the spin so you'll need to use iframes and you can block those too.
What weapon are you using?

four of these guys spawn up in a small locked room with you and slap your spirit gf ass
What do?

Commit sudoku

Beat it by sheer attrition over the course of 10-15 minutes doing like 10 damage per slash and kicking it with main-sword mid-stance combos. The only weapons that I was good with at the time were like level 3-4, and I didn't have any higher tier duplicates. I'm fine now that I can actually craft and upgrade shit, god damn.

When he spins around in the ball sometimes you can dodge through it and other times you can't, and other times he'd animation cancel somehow and turn into a quick spin despite being in front or just on the side.

Thats just you fucking up the the timing.
No such thing. It has a full circular spin and a quick semi circle one.

Typically he'd slam one or both balls down, and then he'd have a recovery time getting back up. There are times when he had none and could do a semicircle spin no problem without having to get back up.

He can combo his ball slam into a spin. Thats not him cancelling animations, its just you misjudging openings.

Regardless, the game actually opens up after that and the metric fuck tonne of loot that is virtually useless actually has some value beyond 10 amrita.

Don't just stick to one weapon, mess around with all of them.

Slow attack weapons are virtually useless against enemies that don't get staggered, though. Which is basically any Oni above the regular walking piece of shit.

The only way to learn is to use them.

Use sloth.

Every time I get close to beating Nobunaga and his frost whore the game crashes. I'm so fucking mad right now. Fucking gook niggers.

Is there any kind of error code or reason for it? It took me a few tries but I ended up beating them.

No, it just shuts down.

If you're having a problem dodging his chain spin - don't. It's easier to block, and even if your guard is broken you'll recover in time.

Whats up with the 155 weapons I have?
And how does the +(x) items work, is the weapon level effectively level 164 if I have a weapon that's 155+9

Bullshit. I played the entire game with the Odachi and the Axe and never had a problem. I hit walls all the time, but the way you get over walls it practice.
The slow attack weapons require you to have keen awareness of openings, how long each opening is, as well as positioning.

Sometimes all you want to do is a single swing and then get out. Sometimes you can get a full combo in there. Also, don't neglect your dodge-attacks. With Odachi, you can dance around and get really fast high-damage combos by abusing the various directions of dodge-attack, and by capitalizing on the rear-attack damage bonus you can make short work of the tankiest enemies.

Learn, don't whine.

So, entirely ineffective for the uninitiated newfag who can't take advantage of these things until slightly later when your gear-scores increase and you have the liberty of experimentation?
Thanks for confirming what I already knew.

You can take advantage of these things right away, user. It's called gitting gud. You heard of that? Another word for it is "practice".
Honestly, if you're getting this worked up over your own failures, you may not have the mental resolve for vidya in general.
Internalize your failure. Reflect on your failure. Figure out where you fucked up. Don't fuck up that way again.

You're not going to intuit your way through this game. Progress will be incremental and it will be earned. Go earn it.

I also just started playing the game with Odachi and axe, stop being bad.
I died nearly 20 times to Onrokyi before beating him.
Two options, try it until you beat him or grind levels.

Which slow attack weapons are you talking about? Axes?

What is the best weapon for handling bosses and youkais? I heard Dual Katana is the best for it but I'm not sure. Currently running spear and no problem but feeling kind of lackluster when facing bosses, especially two bosses at a time.

You have the liberty of experimentation right now, take an odachi and an axe and experiment on the bandits on the beach. There's also some yoki you can practice on.

Slow weapons aren't even that slow in this game.

All of them are equally good at handling anything. A case could possibly be made for the tonfa being balanced for PvP instead of PvE, but you can still be just as effective with tonfa as anything else.

What's your playstyle? Find a weapon that matches it and practice your ass off until you git gud. That's seriously all it takes.
You will find bosses that are easy, and you will find bosses that take you 20-50 attempts before they click. Once you beat each one, you'll generally find that they never trouble you again, because your personal skill has increased. It has little to do with the weapon.

Sick pep-talk, retard. Your advice is beyond old fucking news. Preachy niggers like yourself are what makes people so blasé it's uniform. I'm well beyond that shit already, it was a poor starting function and you know it because:

I have been using the Odachi since I got past the ship, and been having no trouble clearing shit with whatever else I have in store.

One has to wonder why beating the onryoki once is a magnitude harder than beating it a second time with only slightly better gear on your first try without any difficulty.

Already beyond that, too.

Thanks for the tip. I guess run Dual Katana as secondary weapon when I got enough Samurai points later. One more question, does weapon skills like timing guard from Katana and other various knockdown & counter-attack skills works on youkai type enemies? The game does not telling me this and I think many of them does not working at all on youkai type enemies.

Then why are you having so much trouble, and why are you such a whiny bitch? If you know all of this, you shouldn't have had any problems from the start.
All of your failures are your own fault and no one else's - especially not the game's. Keep crying if that's what helps you grow, but you'd grow faster if you just man the fuck up.

pls answer

Timely guards work against anything, but skills that activate on them - specifically throws, knockdowns and other moves like that - will only work on human enemies.

+levels boost raw weapon damage more than item level, but item level determines the strength of buffs on the item (a level 100 glove might have Attack+25, but level it up to 150 and it will now be Attack+28 for example)

The max item level is something like 350+150, and each difficulty level has its own item and +level cap.

I think some of the skills might work on little skeletons.

So?

It is old news. Look at post times you illiterate fucking faggot.

Do you think time is a fucking vacuum for which you can spew your anecdotes and unwarranted sense of superiority? Kill yourself, god damn.

Alright, let's see…
Nothing has changed.

Hilarious. Have you considered writing for XKCD?

Welp, fuck this, just crashed again right when I'm about to kill the fucking woman.

Fucking inbred gooks can't port for shit.

Is Nioh the only game with an Irish MC?
I can't think of any others.

Saboteur, maybe?

The only thing I can think of is bringing all the details to low and turning AA off to see if it might be the particles and effects during the fight and verifying the data if you bought it.

Also being a koei port it is going to be kind of shit

Best Tekken girl and her sister. Not an MC but she's playable.

Saboteur, MC from Seven - The Days Long Gone has an Irish accent, and I believe one of the older GTA games sub VC had an Irish MC.

Last question; does passive skills from weapon skills works while holding other weapons? Like that +5 Ki from Katana. Does it work while holding other weapons like spear?

You can check this yourself if you've got the skill and turn on visible numerical values for health and ki in game options, I wouldn't be able to since I don't have a skill like that save for a ninjutsu passive.

Believe so. I know the Axe's +Life skills do.

All passives work with all weapons unless they specifically state otherwise. Exception being the mystic arts.

Thx for the tip

Oh shit, it didn't crash for once. Holy shit I was so mad.

I mean, hey, at least you got some good practice in.

I went through the same things you're going through now, user. Don't worry, with time and practice you'll be able to overcome anything.
Just know that I believe in you, and use that belief as fuel in your struggle.

Dude. I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, and you're trying to help push me on or something, but you're actually, literally behind because I am progressing just fine since I got past the start. I was serious when I said it was old news.

Those are great. Which one are you using?

Just a rare Bizenden Odachi. You need the weapon's skills to really make it fun, though. I haven't picked a decent enough secondary weapon yet, was thinking about dual swords, but I'm not sure if it'd actually cover the range and speed difference for the odachi.

Okay no that's beyond horrible, odachi's are incredibly OP to start because they were designed for post DLC1. Even if you had 0 levels a level 4 odachi does more than "10" damage. I think someone might be lying on the internet

How do I kill the Ice Queen?Tired of dying…

Is there a list of things that each expansion added? I can't help but feel that things like Ninjutsu and Onmyo magic came in expansions and what you just said seems to support that theory.

lol no a lot of ninjutsu and omnyo were in the base game. Ninjutsu had storm shurikens added by the DLC, and omnyo had the… what's it called the HP drain in exchange for damage talisman.

Tonfa were DLC2, and DLC3 didn't add a weapon

debuffs, especially sloth, work wonders against her. you'll have fun with the ng+ versions of her right

You just have to dodge her shit. Getting some water resistance/defense/sloth magics might help.

Apparently she's weak to fire, but I didn't see any major damage being caused by it.

Are you talking about my fight with the ship-yokai? Because I sure as fuck didn't use an Odachi for that.

it doesn't matter what weapon you used, there's no possible way to do that little

Sure there is. Low level, low stance Dual-swords and low level, low stance spear attacks, both of which I used for that stage.

no there isn't. even DS should do more than 10 a swing.
You're just bad

Have you considered the fact that you're wrong, and you could test this yourself?

I did, minimum level with a level 4 weapon, you should be doing 40+ a swing.

Goddamn, Way of the Strong's lv230 capped revenants made me soft. Also, is there a place to farm for Yasakanis outside of the abyss? I still haven't switched out from a pair of lv150s I found weeks ago and I really want ones with better stat rolls.

I haven't found any particular farming area to be more efficient than just playing the game. Good accessories are rare regardless of what you do.

If you know what you are doing, you should be able to easily defeat almost any revenant at any level. I like the Serpent Strike>Foot Sweep>(weapon swap)>Iai Quickstrike>final blow combo myself.

That revenant had some seriously high toughness though. Both of us just ended up powering through both of our attacks but he won out because of his higher hp and damage.

Tatenashi Revanents are a pain in the ass. The old serpent strike shit works, though it can be tricky to pull off the opening, but trying to just overpower them otherwise can be bad even with my OP LW build.

So are Master Swordsman revanants.

Nues are fun to fight but I can see how they could be extremely annoying.

How does this happen? The infinite range of the Nue is introduced about as soon as you battle the stupid thing.

Is it bad form that I used the guardian spirit attack for the boss? I spent an hour trying to fight the fucker only to misjudge an attack at the end and die. Then I remembered "there is an easy button for this game." Got him to drop his chains, hit Y+B, beat that fucker to death. I still had meter left by the time he was dead. Every boss that easy with Guardian Spirits?

The MC in Clive Barker's Undying for a specific example. Game has you playing as an Irishman going back to Ireland to help your Irish war buddy (ww1) dealing with supernatural shit. For whatever reason though, only the MC and some generic NPCs have Irish accents. Most of the characters you interact with don't have one despite most characters being Irish.

It's fine because the Onryoki becomes a common enemy later on anyways. But the DLC bosses though? They'll all just laugh off LW most of the time.

Exploit blocking, do not get greedy with your combos.

The fuck do I do after finish the game? All the new content seems hard as fuck. Do I have to grind until I'm 150? Shit's cheap as fuck.

Just started and I don't know what the fuck I'm doing with weapons. Some feel awkward to use like the odachi but I don't have any skill points in it. But I don't know if I want to use the skill points on it until I know what the weapon feels like.

My ki management completely sucks too but that's my fault for being shit.

Pick a weapon whose base moveset you like(don't do retarded shit like "low/mid/high stance only") then go from there.

Is buying a new good GPU to run Nioh worth it?

That's my problem though, some weapons don't seem to have any flow to them and I don't know if that's a lack of skills.

Well the optimization is kinda shit in my experience. I have an old 280X and it's not doing very well playing this. So it wouldn't be a waste of money.

Odachi is really simple if you just stick to mid-stance quick attacks. They do good damage, are reasonably quick, long range, and can easily hit multiple enemies (though they are just fine for single targets as well).

Odachi skills aren't really useful outside of very specific niches except maybe Devastating Rush which makes a pretty good ranged initiation/poke.

The DLC was made for players who had gone through way of the strong already, play through your favorite missions on that difficulty and get some divine equipment and try the DLC again.

Many of the weapon skills augment the regular combos or are separate moves by themselves, the odachi is comparably slow to most of the weapons but is considered one of the better weapons due to its reach, skills, and damage potential.

The Odachi's mid stance quick attacks are almost the same speed as Sword, so it's not slow at all.

Yeah I'm really noticing the reach when I try other things.

Odachi has kinda ruined normal swords for me. Dual Swords feel terrible, spear I keep thinking I'm getting it but then I'm not. Axe is neat, kusarigama is neat and tonfas are wonderful, if complete opposite in range.

You should definitely get the Crashing Waves skill for the Odachi too; It'll wreck the shit out of any blockfagging human opponent.

extremely niche. Odachi has such a high break you can just keep swinging in mid stance and get through a guard in about 2 combos, faster if you use Charging Bull as your combo finisher.

It only takes one crashing wave attempt to break the guard of the majority of revenants in my experience. And for bosses like Muneshige I can easily just ki pulse before the animation ends to chain them together until it breaks their tougher guard. But Charging Bull is also definitely another good blockfag destroyer as well.

I didn't realize that, I watched a friend who played with the odachi and axe and I thought they were slower than my weapons but more powerful when they hit. If the odachi is not even that slow that makes it even more of a strong weapon.

This is honestly the best advice in the game. I used the low stance with the katana for the whole game, and the only time I had trouble was with certain enemies that are only weak to elements - which was easily solved by ninjutsu or just buy a shit ton of elemental ofuda

MFW that's what happened to me

Charging Bull is fantastic, Moonlit snow is top tier and all the waking wind and sunset breeze moves allow infinite combo potential.

Ok, I just switched to the heaviest armor and blocked every attack in Mid Stance.Killed her in second try.
This is so cheese

Moonlit snow is trash tier. Waking Wind/Sunset Breeze do NOT allow "infinite" combos. There are only a select few situations where you can combo out of either of those moves at all and it's impossible to loop. That, and with Mid stance being your go-to for pretty much everything, you don't really WANT abilities that take you out of it, unless maybe you intend to Ki pulse+stance change (back to mid) for the extra ki return.

No. It's not even that great looking of a game. If you're going to upgrade wait until 4gb of V-RAM is standard.

4gb+ pretty much is standard now. There are only a few low end cards with less.

This game definitely gave me buyers regret.

literally entirely your fault, but I'm not sure why you'd feel that way since the game is really fun.

*Sigh*
I know, I just hate the hassle of going to virus ridden websites just to download a game for hours.
Normally I would just return it but the game only really gets bad after you hit an infinite plateau where it just sucks.

I hate it because of enemies that deal massive damage but take little to none, I hate it because I tried leveling to the max and still enemies that are way lower levels finish you up in 3 hits. There are more reasons but it feels like a hassle to play through a shitty dark souls clone that has none of what makes the original great. I'd rather play Dark Souls instead.

This is just your brain on light armor, honestly. I found that everything except yokai dies and functions in pretty reliable ways, with armored samurai only having like 2 attacks before they get dangerously tired because they're FUCKING FAT. Human enemies are just as fragile as you are, and most skelebone fags and dwellers die in the same amount of hits as you.
Or maybe we're using different weapons.
The only thing that gets me sometimes is unstaggerable human enemies, that shit takes some fucking cake. I'd rather they use healing items instead of that shit, fuck that noise.

kys yourself, my man.

Pretty much some of my grievances with the game, but the one that bothers me the most is that there is no guard or dodge cancel. Which is combined with unstaggerable enemies is a bitch. More so every skill you unlock that has a prolonged animation is rendered useless because of this, Spear is probably the worst.

Also, is either light armor or a massive stamina drop that leaves you in the red after 2 swings. The game itself seems to give light armor a higher defense rating.

Agility B (30 to 70% weight) is only about 10% worse in terms of stamina than Agility A. So your whole "light armor or no stamina" argument is bullshit

I said that the game gives light armor a higher rating, maybe we have different views on what light armor actually is. I regard any set that gives an agility B as light armor.
But it is all a moot point since the damage of enemies seems consistently high the bare different being them killing you in 1-2 hits to 2-3. Meanwhile you have to hit them around 50 times whilst pausing to recover stamina. Is like this game was made by idiots that didn't understand Dark Souls. Nioh makes Lords of the Fallen look like a good DS clone in comparison. The only reason I can see for this game to have any attention is that it came out close to the summer game drought

It's not even a dark souls game.

No you are just wrong

Go back to your shitter series which got worse with every successive installment. Nobody wants your cancer in their communities.

You simply don't know how to itemize yourself. Even WotN enemies should die in less than 2 comboes if you are built properly. There are ways to handle not dying in two hits as well.

B agility is technically "medium" armor, and you should be able to stay at B in any medium armor with level 1 stats. Pump enough into Stamina and Strength and maybe slap weight reduction on the chest and you can stay in B even with the heaviest armors in the game.

Like is trying to say. Nioh is a hybrid of Dark Souls and Diablo. If you don't manage your loot and gear properly you WILL fail. You can't play it like it's just Dark Souls, because it isn't.

Not my fault you're crippling yourself.
You are using the Odachi wrong.

Also
One of those situation being when the enemy is out of Ki. Man if only Odachi had great Break and could eat through stamina
You can absolutely loop them.

Moonlit slow asks you to stand perfectly still executing an attack that takes twice as long as a normal combo for the same damage. High stance does some good damage, but it's too slow to use reliably for anything but horn cutting, and even that is risky as hell. Low stance just sucks outright, you sacrifice all the range and all the damage that makes Odachi good and gain fuck all.

You can ONLY combo out of sunset breeze and ONLY into mid or low stance. You cannot combo out of Waking Wind ever. Because you can't combo out of Waking Wind you can't loop the combo no matter what you start with or how much ki you have.

Its double the damage plus the skill damage multiplier.
If only this game had highly telegraphed attacks which are easy to dodge and punish but alas..
And then you can combo into high stance again with that
Wrong

Do you just not understand the meaning of "combo out of"? We go over this every thread, it's a mechanical limitation that the game simply will not allow you to do.

"Combo out of" means to follow up an attack (eg waking winds: earth) with another attack, (eg low stance quick attack) without the combo ending (resets the weapon swing and starts a new ki pulse bar). You cannot do this. Waking Winds Earth, Man, and Heaven (Follow up a quick attack in any stance with a strong attack from low, mid or high stance respectively) are all treated as combo finishers in the game mechanics. Any attempt to follow them with quick OR strong attacks will fail every time. You also cannot follow up Sunset Breeze: Heaven. That leaves only Sunset Breeze Man and Earth.

One thing you can do is follow up Sunset Breeze Earth with Waking Winds: Man, but because Waking Winds Man cannot be followed that ends the combo.

You can follow up waking winds: earth with a strong attack from low stance and then follow that up with a Sunset Breeze : heaven or man. It even keeps the Ki pulse bar.

The more you talk the more obvious it is you haven't been using the weapon properly. Learn the basics before spouting retarded shit and declaring great skills trash because you cannot wrap your brain around them.

Here's what happens when you try and combo Waking Winds: Earth into a strong attack. I even do it 3 times just to show you it's not a mistake.

With no skill damage modifier, it actually does LESS damage.

Testing on the first enemy in WOTN Isle of Demons, a strong quick attack does 5410. The first swing of Moonlit Snow does 5368. It's much more difficult to test the full combo reliably, however it seems the pattern holds for the second and third attacks, doing less damage than a second quick attack and Twin Moons. The entire Moonlit Snow combo (fully charged) takes about 50% longer to execute than Quick Quick Twin Moons.

The only places you can get damage mods for Moonlit Snow that don't conflict with damage mods you should already have are your Guardian Spirit and MAYBE a star mod on your weapon for Moonlit Snow specifically. Even with both of those, you aren't going to make up for the fact that the move is so much slower. Your DPS will go down and you have much wider openings for trying it. The strong attack chain is already too slow to use most of the time.

Meant to say high-stance quick attack, not strong quick attack, and high stance attack chain, not strong attack chain.

any tips for a beginner? i'm trying to learn ki pulses but i'm still lost on armor sets and such

Stick with Medium armor stuff for now and try to get a feel for all the different stances. You shouldn't really have to worry about set bonuses early on so much as regular armor can carry you through most of New Game. Also you can use ki pulse to cancel the end of your attack anim.

But it didn't, it came out in February and has had pretty regular threads here since then. Beyond that though, Nioh isn't Dark Souls, so stop treating it as if it is. Of course you won't enjoy it if you try to play it like a game it doesn't really play anything like.

bring it in I have a secret for you
it is terrible, the only way they could make it even sort of work was by giving the good one two elements at once

Fuck Nuc, prick just spams death and you can't get near him.

I'm new as well and one thing I've noticed compared to Souls games being as light as possible isn't as important. I was getting my shit kicked in trying to be as light as possible on beginner gear. Putting on the purple set I'd gotten off revenants improved my survival drastically. Best is under 30% weight and the next tier is 70%, that's more than double and well worth it.

You mean how to get the max pulses? Watch your ki bar once you do some attacks and you'll notice a red and white bar where the used stamina was. Press the guard button and you'll instantly recover some of the ki back. If you time the button press to be close to when the red and white bars overlap you'll recover even more ki and gain a buff. You can also time it by watching the particles around William.

Armor sets don't really matter until you find a playstyle you like and or get the set bonus req -1 charm.
Just do whatever you find works for your playstyle… unless it's duel swords in which case just save yourself the trouble and change your weapon to something half the level but a different class and watch yourself have the real DS damage but with no upsides.

Dual element swords are the worst. Dual Swords have a couple useful features. They are the best weapons in the game for applying element status, but having dual elements significantly reduces that capability to the point that regular swords are faster (single swords are fairly bad at status). They also have the Minds Eye skill, which greatly extends your dodge invincibility

how do i find the motivation to fight the same 4 enemy types for another 20 hours and beat the rest of the game

I will never not be butthurt about this cancer

why the fuck did you post directly after me now everyone's gonna think i'm a threadshitting samefag

you cunt

Lol

I haven't played through the DLC content yet. Just made it to Way of the Nioh. Is there any good items from it that I should go for?

There's a lot more than 4 enemy types though. Here's a good list:

Comes in armored and unarmored variants equipped with most weapon types.
Equipped with either Kusarigama or Tonfa
Basically zombies
significantly different to normal skeletons in combat
Comes in the tough 2 horned version and a weaker 1 horned version
Always uses the single horned variant. Equipped with either dual swords, giant kusarigama, or cannon and sword
Comes in any element and multiple weapons
Red spikes and no crystals. Fights significantly different than either normal yoki or amrita fiends, despite being unlisted in the encyclopedia
"tongue monks", comes in all elemental flavors
Summons revenants and Oni-bi
Floating skulls
Frost witch
Slimes. "Mudmen" (aka shit slimes) are similar enough that I'll leave them under this heading
Similar to Umibozu in appearance (red blade slimes), but they fight differently enough with spins and multi hit or multidirectional attacks to qualify as a different enemy
AKA teracotta warrior
will paralyze the shit out of you
Wall mimics
Chest/player mimic

That's just the base game, add in the DLC and you get
Extremely tall demons with giant swords
Long-neck demons that hide as humans
No longer a treasure monster, now a regular enemy that paralyzes the shit out of you.
4 armed demon

This is of course not counting bosses at all.

right but basically all you fight are skeletons, dwellers, humans, and oni. you get the very rare other things but even then they barely break up the tedium due to being over so quickly and then not showing up for another million years
if they had like, a wheelmonk area, then a karakasa area, etc, instead of 'here's a mission that has 3 umbrellas mixed in with the fuckbillion dwellers and skeletons' then they'd seriously have some sort of impact but that just doesn't happen

Let me fix what you said

That's pretty much just a definition of Hell.

Fucking WHEELS.

Holy shit this game leaks memory like a sieve.

Welcome to koei games, enjoy your stay.

How many "schools" of ninjutsu are there? I know about the Iga and Koga but are there others.

This is bad even for them. 3 levels and I go from 60 to 20fps.

Do you think I play these games because they're easy?

Man all those Dragon Dogma threads on release are all coming back to me now.

Wheel skeletons were annoying in packs, wheelmonks are annoying because one of their attacks has almost no signal since it is just their regular movement animation. Their other attacks are easily baited and they are weak to the water debuff.

I found out that dodging towards Muneshige as he does his quickstrike works better for avoiding it. Also itemization plays a large role in this game so if you wanna git gud you gotta get some better gear as well.

It's basically a habit from every game that I dodge into attacks, but it felt really inconsistent on mid-stance dodging unless I really hit it right as he whipped it out, but low-stance felt like I could dodge a year before he did it and still not get hit.
I can see items are important, but I haven't felt like investing into ninjutsu or magic just yet but i'll get to it eventually.

Yeah, I understand that. Took me a while to realize how good side dodges with low stance were too. And even if you don't plan on using any of onmyo magic or ninjitsu items right away, there's still a ton of really good passives in both trees worth getting.

You know there is a "please don't one shot me" spell right?

And an explosion on death spell too.

What's the point of that one? If you die every enemy resets anyway. Is it only useful when used in combination with the last chance spell?

Pretty much, yeah. No idea what the devs were thinking by making it wholly dependant on another skill.

Koei has never made a good pc port

You can get quasi infinite ninjutsu with the Iga 2 piece set bonus and iIt's a nice way to get guys off your dick so that you don't keep getting juggled during respawn.

The death explosion is kind of pointless. It CAN stagger something that would have hit you when you landed, but that's extremely rare. The damage is pretty negligible as well, so personally I don't feel like it's worth equipping.

Iga 2-piece is pretty nice though, I'll give you that.

What exactly 'Parry' stat do? At first I thought it affect my ki damage while blocking but there is other option called 'block ki damage reduction' or something.
And I searched internet and some people says parry affect enemy's ki damage when I block their attack.
What does it do? Does it reduce my ki damage when I guard? Or it affect enemy's ki?

Press the start button for more details on the stats of equipment.

When going through a level how often should I be using living weapon? I'm on Way of the Nioh and I think maybe I've used it like three times not during a boss fight. I die a lot and I probably should be using it more huh?

Yea I mean it probably wouldn't hurt. Especially if you already know the levels and know you can rebuild the meter or use crystals before the boss. It might benefit you to change to a spirit that recharges quickly for going through the levels and changing back to a stronger one for bosses. Just experiment till you find something you like.

You can build around LW in such a way that you are pretty much ALWAYS in LW mode. I highly recommend looking into that strategy for higher difficulties.

kek

The game runs fine and it has full KB+M support.

i pirated it, my version has no kb+m support and runs like shit. maybe i should update

Attributes from Weapons apply only to that weapon, right? So if you have two swords with +10% Close Combat Attack, the bonus isn't cumulative?

Yes, of course.
Otherwise you could stack dual elemental attack.

The gameplay, while unique, is pretty lackluster. The aesthetics are the toppest of tiers though.

I've discovered what makes Nioh run like shit on PC, shadows. Turn them off and your fps fucking skyrockets. Mine tripled. It will also make Nioh look like an indie game but you can't have everything with shitty ports.

How many people have this problem? It ran perfect for me. Are you playing a pirated copy or something?

My framerate was fine until I reached Edo Castle, where the shadows from the scaffolding completely crippled my performance. I ended up keeping shadows off from there on, since the later levels seem to have more issues with shadows than the earlier ones.

It runs great for me, the only issues I have are crashes in certain areas of the game.

I pirated it at first and got it later, both suffer this.

That's been my experience too wouldn't of bought it had it been this bad earlier. Early on I found knocking over light sources in dense areas would boost me 1-2fps. But later on like with the snow level you just can't stop it.

I don't think this is even close to NieR lightning issues.

Does anyone know if you can get Ethereal shit in Way of the Wise? I kill revenants with Ethereal gear, but they only drop Divine Fragments. Is it level-dependent? I'm 280 right now.

Not entirely accurate.

Attributes on weapons only apply to your active weapons. That includes ranged weapons though. A ranged weapon with "increased ranged damage" increases ALL ranged damage, no matter the source. Same with CCD on weapon.

Those examples usually don't matter much because it's rare for you to do CCD for example with anything other than your sword. However, bonuses like "Agility Damage Bonus A" apply to all damage types simultaniously. In this case, it matters both what you have on your active ranged and active melee weapon at all times (Ideally they are different bonuses, eg Agility A and Equipment Weight A).

As an exception to this rule however, Familiarity Damage Bonus ONLY applies to the weapon it is on.

You CAN get Ethereals in WotW, but they are very rare.

Revenants don't normally drop ethereal gear that they have equipped in any difficulty. HOWEVER, they can occasionally drop random ethereals. I think there is a particular grace set reserved for revenant-dropped Ethereals.

Same here, shadows don't cause me any issue at all.

You should be able to fix the crashes by running in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Yes, even if you are running on actual Windows 7 to begin with, the compatibility mode still works.

I set it to Win 7 compa after reading some posts on the Steam forums, doesn't seem to help. Was there any sort of error message when it crashed for you? It just hangs and closes for me.

There was a popup message yes. It didn't say anything useful, not even an error code, but it made me click OK.

Weirdly I had no issue with Nier Automata. I think I turned a couple of things down one notch and it was smooth as silk the whole way. Fucking Japanese games.

Sheeit fam, my damage is low as fuck, but this is great.

How do you even do the boss fight with the slow debuff girl and the flying yokai? Fuck this shit

Even when the revenant has full ethereal gear it isn't a guarantee that they'll drop one in either way of the wise or nioh, I'm been trying to think about how the game calculates it.

Which battle is that? Can't recall this one.

That would be this one

Oh I did it! Was easy with high stance and rolling into them.

Is there a quick way to earn glory? Most ghosts I find give 40 glory and it's so low. I feel like I'll end up not even being able to afford one of the expensive characters before I finish the game, killing every ghost I find.

By the end of the week's Clan fights you'll earn an absurd amount of Glory. Just check in with Teahouse for it. Also, the glory you get for revenant kills is based on your level difference with it. You can also get a decent chunk of Glory from co-operative content.

Anyone got any tips or Katana Builds for going through WotW? Damage is low as fuck and I get one-shot by almost errything, around level 340 right now. It's becoming hard to complete the Omi region missions.

why did they make this game a Diablo version of Dark Souls?

he's a fuukin proddie inne

Historically, he was British. I assume they changed it to give him a celtic spirit and because the main villain you deal is British.

You're seriously exaggerating how much longer the full Moonlit Snow combo is compared to the full Twin Moons combo. Taking it from the soonest point you can Ki Pulse it's only very slightly longer, by about half a second, and both are very much applicable in fights on bigger openings and Ki staggers. The damage of later attacks ramps up significantly as you charge each one in sequence as well. Excuse the smaller numbers, but without any skill effects, Moonlit Snow does around 750, 1150, 1150+1500 = 4550 while the Twin Moons combo does about 700, 900, 800+800 = 3200, making it absolutely worth going for if the opening presents itself. Just for the sake of thoroughness, from a sheathed position I can get two Imperative Strikes, each doing 1600 in the time it takes to do the full Moonlit Snow charged combo, making it the best option for smaller openings and stagger combos.

IT AINT ME IT AINT ME

I'm going to be HOKAGE!

I just summoned a guy to deal with one while I dealt with the other. The greatest threat out of the two would be the bitch with her slows so I would focus on that one first before dealing with Tengu Niggerson, if you get hit by the Bolt's slowing attack you might as well retry the fight since you are probably not going to survive while slowed.

Cease

I personally found the opposite to be easier. The slowing attack is very easily avoided whereas the tengu is relentless and will hit you with his ranged magic that lowers your damage and prolongs the fight. Separating them is also helpful. Run from one side to the other as the tengu is much faster and prone to chase.

What is a decent option for my inheritable on this weapon? Any tips on what's best to look out for on weapons in general?

You are showing numbers where moonlit snow 1 does more damage than quick attack 1, so I obviously can't believe the rest of your data. Keep in mind there are a lot of things that can affect damage, including whether or not the enemy is attacking, but under the same conditions attacks almost always hit at the exact same damage.

Sorry, but can you (or anyone else) explain to me how the blacksmith works? I'm still lvl 40 and something, just got to the second map (I beat up the centipede boss today), but hell, the only thing I can do in the blacksmith is change the weapon skin.

I have no shit to buy, craft or neither can I fuse weapons. The end result is never satisfactory.

Kusarigama really benefits from Parry Disabled vs Guarding Enemy since most of its attacks bounce normally and you need to combo to do anything. I don't think I've ever seen that as an inheritable though, so you would need to replace something else first. While you are at it you can try to get a 20% close combat damage.

Familiarity damage bonus and Weaken melee/torso are usually the easiest things to get in Inheritable form. Damage bonus doesn't have a ton of variation so getting a maxed out one isn't TOO hard, and weaken melee/torso doesn't need to be absolutely perfect to work well.

Other than that you've got the big ones already.

One thing I would suggest if you are working on perfecting your gear, DON'T pick a weapon with a locked elemental attribute to start with. First, elemental damage is a dead stat if you go Living Weapon, and second, by having that slot unlocked you could theoretically replace the element if you wanted a different one at some point. Also, most of the fixed-stats on weapons are NOT the maximum they could be, so by using a different kusarigama you could theoretically have higher Water damage if that's what you still wanted.

You have to fight bosses to get their weapon and armor books. The books let you craft their weapons and armor. They have very low drop rates so find an armor set or weapon you want and go kill the boss that has it until you get their book.

At your level there really isn't much to do with the blacksmith. I would just save your money up for later difficulties. But how it works is all your weapons have stats that can be rerolled into another stat for a cost. You do this with reforging. You can take your old weapon and level it up by using another weapon that is higher level and destroying it. That is soul forging. You can also create items as you get more smithing texts. That's forging.

Alright. Sounds good I appreciate it. I have a weapon with inherit weaken melee. So I'll put that into the inherit and reroll.

That's a good point. I'm pretty much just rolling with the best item I've found so far. Don't have too many options so far as I just got to Way of the Nioh and I'm grinding through it.

So is this the dark souls of Yakuza?

Well considering you showed a complete lack of understanding on how the move itself works, called it hugely slower and didn't even test the entire thing, I fail to see why anyone should believe yours. I tested in the same situation repeatedly (in front, while the enemy is still) and against the same enemy type while rounding the numbers to the closest 50 for convenience, and I might even test some more to get it exact though it shouldn't be necessary. Granted the first attack for each tends to do very similar damage but it hit closer to 750 (I think it was 730-40) than the other did which I remember being more like 711. What matters is the following strikes which are the main point of the attack and where it clearly outstrips the combo.

And some of the special ones you can only get from certain missions.

Guys help, I don't know how Soul Matching works really, I've played for close to 90 hours but the inheritance system still confuses me.

If you max out the familiarity of an item and then use it as the soul matching material you can transfer the Inheritable trait. This will replace the inheritable trait already on the item you use as a base, and will do nothing if that item already has a conflicting non-inheritable trait. It's very very simple.

Which one of those is giving you problems?

You've got weapon A you want to use. You have an inheritable stat on weapon B that you want to give to weapon A. If weapon B's familiarity stats are full you can give it to weapon A. So you use soul forge and it'll show if it's capable to give it to the weapon in the end result portion (right side of screen). Some stats cannot overlap on a weapon as they're in a pool of stats that only one can appear. This link has the listings of groups. nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Reforge

If anything it's more like the Ninja Gaiden Souls of Onimusha.

I haven't played since completing it in the month of release and I'm about to start a second playthrough. Fresh NG, but with all of the expansions now that they're out. Anything I should know about the changes to balance or anything? I was planning to use the giant-ass odachi and favor mid-weight since I was a low-weight kusarigama / 2kat shitter the first time through.

Just respec.

The chain is a fun weapon.

Quite a lot has been added, I almost don't want to spoil it for you but you did ask so I'll list what I can remember.

A few skills for each weapon were added, a lot of Ninjutsu and Onmyo Magic spells were also added.
Tempering was introduced as a way of choosing what effects you can reforge onto equipment from a list, which requires a certain material and increases based on how many types of that material you have. The material in question, Umbracite is mainly gotten through co-op but isn't too difficult to get either.
After completing the game you can choose a second Guardian Spirit to freely switch between. The secondary spirit confers two smaller bonuses, one from the spirit itself and another based on the combination you have. It's mainly dependent on the elements of each but some spirits whose owners had a connection give unique bonuses.
For actual balance changes it's probably best to look up the change lists, all I really know and can remember is that "Critical" effects from equipment don't apply during Living Weapon anymore. I don't think it'll matter too much though if you're just going into it after so long, it'll be a fresh game to you. But since you have the chance to do so from the start, using wooden weapons is fun!

Sorry guys, for whatever amount of nothing it's worth.

I keep mine equipped for its set bonus but I almost never use it

Do you think we'll get a sequel given how successful this game is? Probably not a direct sequel.

yuki onna is mai waifu

William's story kinda ended, they pretty much admitted this was the end of his story, either it's a sequel of William's halfu kids Joseph and Susanna or another game in maybe another timeline, like the Bakumatsu period.

Nobunaga pls

Moonlit snow is a skill so all of its 4 attack string get a skill damage boost too.
If your moonlit snow is doing less damage than your normal attacks then you've botched your build.

Shit pissed me right the hell off. Dropped that shit immediately.

I have questions.
Do living weapons passives apply outside of living weapon?
Is there some absolutely must use magic/ninjutsu? (Ive only found fire to be useful against that giant blob bossfight and the second chance ninjutsu.)
When do i start crafting/enhancing weapons and armor? (I have around 400k money and always deconstructed any weapon)
Any tipps/suggestions? I am currntly earing always the best armor i can find, heavy for the poise and only skilled the stat that allows me to wear more armor and the one that gives me more damage with katanas. Im kinda doing good but sometimes i think im having intense luck instead of skill

yes
yes
when the game is over
don't bother relying on armor if you want to do NG+ and beyond

Not having poise seems painful in any situation, on what should i rely instead?
What magic/ninju is barebones must need. i dont want to skill both 99 to get some, just enough to unlock the must haves and continue git gud with katana.
saving up until then or what?

You're using katanas, master those counters and dodges when every attack isn't one shotting you.
the defense debuff is top tier, sloth can be a crutch, Kunais and shurikens are also nice. Everything else depends on your build and playstyle.

fighting phantoms is a bitch. Some of them just poise through my attacks and dual katanas nothing personell kid my anus into the abyss. I found parrying to be unreliable and not really damaging enough 2bh. Are heavy armors at least okay lategame?

noted

irl William was English and Kelley was also English but claimed to be of Irish descent. Not sure why the devs did a switcharoo there but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Being Irish myself I've noticed that Japanese devs in general seem to be Eireboos. When you put 'Fionn Mac Cumhaill' or 'Cu Chulainn' into Google Images it's like half of the results are from either anime I've never heard of or Japanese vidya. Then (apart from Nioh) you've got stuff like the Dullahan appearing in DMC3, the entirety of Folklore, a character named after the selkie in Fire Emblem, the Morrigan in Darkstalkers/MvC, and that's just off the top of my head. Even one of Japan's current princesses went to Dublin to study English and visited NI during her stay, I believe.

I think the japs just think that the English and Irish are the only two peoples in Europe.

Probably, yeah.

Well, France and Germany suck and they used to like them.

Fuck, this is tough choice.

I dropped the game because yuuki onna was too strong for me

Is it worth picking up again?

If you're willing to git gud, yes

I'd like to think I was good, but my build sucked. the people on youtube did a whole lot more damage that I did
Or maybe I just don't have the energy to get good

It must be cos they are both shit.

user you can install Skyrim it on any other device you possess, you can start by doing that.

This is the future you chose.

If you only were at NG it's extremely hard to fuck your build over, and even then you can just search what's wrong and use a book of reincarnation. Unless you were doing something unbelievably retarded like dumping all points into a stat that gives you no damage to your weapon nor survivability or using all your points into magic or ninjutsu without using either I don't see how you could've created an non-viable character.
Yuki-onna is a pretty hard boss. Look at her weapon, it changes depending on what attack she'll do.

How do I gitgud at duel swords. I'm still early game so I don't have all the tools, but Damn I've never been worked this hard.

Is Nioh actually shit? Tell me honestly. I am not having fun yet. Or maybe its because i chosen daikatana.

Well if you remove Skyrim, I hope you install the equally great Fallout 4 VR™. And dont forget to purchase the official Fallout scented candle™ to enhance your experience.

I think you are not having fun because you were expecting the game to be something it isn't. Were you expecting something like Dark Souls but with Japanese history slapped on top?

Which boss was this one? I didn't have much trouble with many bosses once I worked out enchanting weapons makes them a pushover.

It'll be like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure where Williams Kids inherit the power of Onmyojutsu and can see spirits.

There's a lot of Dark Souls in there. There's a lot of Diablo on top though. If you can't enjoy optimizing gear stats you probably shouldn't bother playing Nioh.

Do you mean Odachi?

so I think I beat the game but all the audio desync'd from the lips of people speaking in the end cutscenes

I'd like to see a ninja spinoff game using Nioh's engine and featuring different ninja schools. We only got Iga style in Nioh.

That'd be cool. Switching combat/ninja/magic schools at the shrine, with a bit more emphasis on the dojo for learning the styles. It'd be like a natural extension of the stance system.

A lot of Ninjutsu and Onmyo magic is either extremely powerful or just straight up game breaking. It would be easier to list the ones that aren't very useful.
While it's not something you particularly need to do during the first playthrough, don't take that to mean you don't ever have to, since it's fun building a set and you'll learn what the effects are. The only real problem with it is that it will likely make everything even easier.
Practice Ki Pulsing and what stances do what if you haven't already, by now you should have a strong handle on them but the game lets you ignore learning it for far too long. If you think it's just a matter of luck then use earlier missions to practice more. Ignore anyone that says focusing on defense doesn't last, there are several effects and debuffs that can weaken damage to nothing and keep you alive or cheat death, so if you're accustomed to or want to play with a heavy defensive setup then you can, while still playing aggressively and mobile because of stances and Ki Pulse.

alright I'll list the ones that are pretty useless. All of the ninjutsu for combat because it scales so poorly into way of the nioh, and red enemies can purge buffs so those become fairly useless. And for Omnyo we have…debuffs… except against enemies that have determination where debuffs actually make them stronger.

Endgame omnyo/ninjutsu except for a few very very specific ones fall off entirely damage wise, and the few that don't are incredibly situation specific

Yes but not when the guardian spirit is guarding your grave nor during the recharge period right after LW.
Try combining two different elemental shots on the same opponent and see what happens. Also attack ninjutsu is great at exhausting enemy ki. Quick change scrolls will save your ass and guardian spirit talismans are the most versatile spell in the entire game bar none.
Do not ignore the set bonus it's the most important part of your armor choice. Heaviest armor isn't necessarily the best. It depends. I ran through most of the game wearing light armor, I only wore heavier armor for certain builds.
Try to aim for as much toughness as you can get.
I would suggest not crafting armor or weapons that require particularly rare ingredients until NG+ unless you happen to have a lot of said ingredient or if you just absolutely NEED the piece of equipment. Some things can't be crafted without special "smithing texts".

The guy who asked is on his first playthrough, I don't think he's concerned about potential damage scaling of what are still very fast or wide aoe ranged attacks on the mode that's about 5 playthroughs in.

if he's on first playthrough than anything but Sloth talismans work. Honestly the only thing I can think of out of those trees that's awful and that's only because it stops you from learning how to play at full speed against bosses

Kodamas have cute lil butts~

Worst kind of feel. Flying Sword talismans aren't very effective, which is a shame because they're cool but even they can have very slight situational uses. But yeah that was my point, almost everything is very useful one way or another.

yeah if you're gonna pvp you need the debuff prevention stuff. But even then usually if you dodge the couple they have those players are generally some of the weakest around

I'm Delving into the Abyss now, just passed lvl 300. How far have other anons gone in the Abyss?

I'm at the 30th floor, until I finish way of the nioh I can't go any farther.

600 right now. I got burned out though so I gave it a rest. Floors after about 300 all feel really really samey imo

Only got a bit past 100 myself before I stopped. I was looking for someone to do it with but it seemed almost no one would touch it.

Speaking of the Abyss, what are the Way of the etc. cutoff points? If it is only up to 30 until finishing Way of the Nioh and nothing else, is there any other difficulty info of the floors before then? I'm curious how the progression stacks up compared to the entirety of the main game, floor 1 at least seems to start at end game Way of the Samurai/base Way of the Strong.

You are limited in the floors you can clear before way of the nioh, I think it goes in groups of five.

What I mean is, are there multiple levels to that limitation e.g. the highest you get is 10 until beating Way of the Strong, then it goes to 15 until beating Way of the Demon and so on. From what you say at the end it sounds like that might be the case.

What is the earliest floor that you can convert defiled equipment to ethereal?

I thought ethereal equipment was only difficulty dependent and started appearing on Way of the Wise.

You need to complete way of the Nioh. You defile shit at a few levels before the 30 level mark and then quit after 4 levels after going above 30.

How does one fight Orochi without spamming onmyo? I was completely lost on how to approach with melee, and onmyo was just killing heads in about 3-4 casts.

use a weapon with some range or just wait for the heads to lunge in and then cut them down.
you can also stun some heads by destroying the crystals on the roof.

Said I can't go past level 5 and I haven't touched it since. Trying to get a non-shit build in WotN before attempting it again.

You just walk up to their neck and swing.

車火はどういう忍者刀が最上ですか

Post that webm.

Or just spam daiba washi and kill him in a few minutes. That spirit attack makes human bosses extremely easy.

Just did a new game on PC after I gifted my brother the Complete Edition for his PS4, is it autistically bad that I feel the need to 100% and finish everything in Way of the Samurai while also leveling all my guardian spirits to lvl 30? also can anyone confirm if Ranjatai Fragments drops in Way of the Samurai or did they change it to only drop in higher difficulties?

This is a deal breaker for me

Don't do that on Way of the Samurai. That's just a recipe to burn yourself out. You get way more amrita on the higher difficulty modes. The only thing you should be grinding on WotSam is smithing texts, with a couple of exceptions.

It's not really bad at all to do all the missions as long as you're keeping it interesting (which is easy enough to do with all the weapons etc.) but if you're really having trouble building the Amrita for your guardian spirits through that then you don't have to focus so hard on it, you can do that while continuing through the game's other difficulties yourself, or just play a bunch of co-op.

Why not just adapt to the mildly different control scheme since it's actually an entirely different game in practice when you get into it?

Part of me is used to DkS too much.
Another part will argue that the ability to remap buttons is a strength in pc games and shouldn't be a unique feature.

While I've always been of the opinion that every game should have complete button remapping on top of it's presets regardless of game or console, this game is not really like Souls so any issues with making your controls just like it should not be a deal breaker of any kind and if anything are better since not only does it mean you're forced even mildly to see it as a different game which helps much more in gameplay, the default controls are actually pretty much the best way to go for how inputs work.

I believe that it depends on the level the gear is when you defile it. I know that for gear over level 250 you must leave on floor 31 or higher for it to become ethereal (unlocks after beating WotN).

I haven't tested it, but I believe you can defile gear level 250 or under and leave on floor 21+. I know that if you leave on floor 21+ some of the defiled items you pick up will become ethereal. I think the limitation is designed so you can ethereal WotW-evel gear after beating WotW, and only ethereal WotN-level gear after beating WotN.

For absolute certainty though, you leave on floor 31 or higher

Doing bosses and mobs for the smithing texts, autistically checking every hidden area for those locks too.

Doing quick boss runs with the Maraboushi mission to farm amrita, got 4 texts to drop so far.