Game "Localization" Hate

Post the worst fuck-ups that have happened when games make the journey from Japan to the west.
We must never forget why we hate the fuckers who mess with out weeb vidya.

Other urls found in this thread:

legendsoflocalization.com/lets-talk-aboot-those-dragon-quest-iv-accents/
sankakucomplex.com/2017/12/29/the-worst-of-western-video-game-localizations-sjwese-rather-than-english/
imgur.com/a/X2w49
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Simon's Quest

speak for yourself, Fire Emblem was a european-themed vidya with no waifu sim elements before Awakening
Localization was shit but goddamn the game as a whole fucking sucked regardless of that
NISA shitting on Ys VIII's translation comes to mind, quite literally in this cap.

would a reverse localization be called a japanization?
what would a japanized game be like?

All lines of dialogue would have "It can't be helped" and "At this rate" in them.

Gender is a social construct anyway, there's essentially no difference between the translations. If you're complaining about this, it seriously just proves what people have been saying about gamers being entitled crybabies.

I actually heard about something like that happening to one of the Transformers shows. Prime or Animated, I think.

I have to admit the silliness of it gives me a fair few giggles though.

I thought genderswaps were common for a fuckload of Japanese games, considering they often have ambiguous characters with androgynous voices to begin with. Seems silly to get upset about this specific one which doesn't really change any gameplay or story aspects.

I hate it when dialog is not skippable. Who cares what these harebrained writers have to say?

it was literally a made up concept coined by a jew named John Money. Biological sex is real, and their are only two biological sexes (aside from the genetic defect of hermaphroditism), gender is a bullshit term.

But that is not true at all. There is male, female and David Bowie.

I'm sorry, I feel bad about lying to people. I was just having a gaff to try to rile folks up, user.

How to spot a snoflake: They get triggered when gender is used as a synonym for sex.

Some NISAs.

Funny thing is that 8-4 had worked on all the prior main series Tales localizations since Abyss PS2, and those turned out more or less good until Hearts R; given how Bamco really didn't want to bring Hearts west to begin with (be it DS or especially Vita) until Sony forced their hand, I'd say the fault is them not bothering to keep 8-4 on a short leash for once and just letting them have at it. Which isn't to defend 8-4, just that depending on on who hires them and how much said publisher cares about a game's content, they can be forced to do decent work from time to time (for their older work it's best to take it on a game-by-game basis, rather than completely writing every game off). Though these days they seem rather content to circle the toilet bowl, and I don't fault anyone being leery of seeing their name be involved with projects (and not wanting to buy games they touch).

>>>/tumblr/

holy shit, this works really well

Yes.

:^)

Tell that to Germany and Japan.

Chemo yourself posthaste.

but do they have sex

They didn't take the opportunity to retranslate Tokyo Xanadu for the PS4 version, did they.

Persona.

People are still going on about homosexuality this, transsexual that. Is it really impossible for people to understand that the Persona games were made by Japs?

STOP PUTTING YOUR WESTERN CULTURAL EXPECTATIONS IN A JRPG

The localization has personality. The original text is soulless and dull.

The original Text looks like something actual humans would say. The Localization is some bullshit a hack has put into the game.

I don't understand why companies do this

But you have to admit, the whole joke about Kanji is that he had a crush on Naoto and was extremely embarassed about it as he would fail to hide it and in turn the others would make fun of him for it.

Also Naoto's entire story arc revolved around her being a girl. Maybe they only added that to sort off appease the disgust normal people would feel about Kanji-Naoto romance, since hey Naoto is actually a girl so it was ok all along, right? The story could also be interpreted as Naoto actually being a girl on the inside, while physically he was a boy, so (s)he instead wanted to get rid of that part of himself, however that doesn't make any sense because of the hot springs part.

Your entire post can be summed up as "It's ok if groiorus Nippon does it!". I have to give it to them though, at least they were a lot more subtle about it and the whole thing didn't feel extremely hamfisted in for the sake of virtue signalling like they do it in the west.

It's because the original team that oured their souls into the project got fired and replaced by a new team all the while greedy suits took charge with thte intent to milk the franchise foras many shekels as they can without really caring about what the audience wants.

TOKYO CANADU IS RUINED!!!

TOKYO XANADU Ex+ IS NOT FIXED! IT'S ALL THE SAME! AKSYS GAMES IS TRASH!

Shit, fucking Kikes and Feminists ruining everything. I wish we can gas them all

lurk more newfag cancer

I honestly don't know how that company could manage to put out what seemed like a damn good translation for Muramasa Rebirth (Genroku Legends too), yet so willingly shit the bed with something like this. I suppose Muramasa might be the exception if "shit" is their norm though; haven't played too many Aksys handled games myself.

Any chance Falcom fans can bitch to Falcom themselves and get them on Aksys' case, the way they have with NISA and Ys VIII?

This won't save you either. People can already figure out what a shitposting sped you are.

If they listened to the fans when they complained about the shit translation of YS VIII, chances are they might listen when they point out how Tokyo Xanadu has been butchered.

owo they're nullos

Most Japanese companies, Falcom included, don't know and don't care to find out. They get an offer from a Western publisher and take it like money-grubby morons.

NISA got railed because even Japanese people found out about it and Ys is still iconic over there and it was the series' 25th anniversary or something. Not so much Tokyo Xanadu, a new IP Falcom probably will never touch again since it was made to bank on Persona money.

When Japanese people complain or make articles ridiculing what happened THEN Jap companies care. Not before, not after.

I know for a fact that even translating from English to Japanese is absolutely disgusting, look at what they did to poor old Crash.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this faggot copied my response to that fag that was pretending that an anime girl is a gay boy. Does it trigger people when they're told to stop pretending that girls are gay traps?

Seems like a shame they've leapt at the chance to stop using XSEED in favor of cheaper, faster, and less reputable companies. I remember reading rumor (from an user that supposedly spoke with one of the Falcom guys at a convention or something) that XSEED might lose even Legend of Heroes in the future to the mindset that faster turnaround times are better for Falcom's coffers.

(You)

The DS Dragon Quest games are utter trainwrecks. Even the 30 year old NES translation of IV is far superior.

I think he's trying to express that there's idiot faggots on this board/ITT who'd rather fuck off about stupid garbage instead of the fucking topic that he's here to discuss or observe maybe he wanted to lurk this thread to see if there were any recent additions to the localization fuck up list and faggot faggots who'd rather talk about themselves or take joke bait seriously than talk about the fucking topic are shitting up the thread cut your fucking head off how fucking stupid can people be get a grip on a knife and cut your head off.
I know I shouldn't be spoon feeding these retards it's just so fucking annoying

Maybe you should tell the derailing literal faggots to fuck off instead of complaining about people telling them to fuck off. As you can clearly see they aren't going away on their own, whether you ignore them or not.

Most of the blades have normal Japanese names, they made them more chuuni because reasons.

You wanna talk about fucked up localization? How about these? In the original version of this south park episode cartmen calls token black, in the german version he calls him a nigger. There is a simpsons episode where they do the same. You americans are the problem because you are a bunch of pussies. A bunch of back ass christian faggots. You guys are niggers who spread multi culturalism, political correctness, sjw culture and feminism all over the world.

Was hat das mit Computerspielen zu tun du Schwachkopf?
Translation: What has this with video games to do you weak head?

He calls him a "neger" which is the german word for negro not nigger. It doesn't have the same connotation as nigger, it is still seen as insulting by fags but if used ironically it's usually accepted as an archaic term rather than an insult.

How can someone be so vested in a language and culture to go so far as to spend hundreds of hours learning it, only to have so little respect for the meaning it carries. Is this the actual translators fault, or some snowflake in QC "fixing" the script? Back to learning Japanese.

It's the german equivalent for nigger, it's just as an insult. The word neger has already been removed in certain books in order to not offend nigs.

Some people just never really think about what they're doing. Through I guess what must be a kind of conditioning, those sorts of people would have managed to have it that the part of their mind that pushes them to apply effort is completely compartmentalised and separate from the parts of their mind that would handle their actual conscious thought processes, passions and personal investments. I think that has to be what creates this sort of result.

That's a dragon you daft cunt.

I'd like to believe at least some of the people involved actually like, or at least don't dislike, aspects of the games they choose to handle, but there's plenty that seem to get involved with shit they don't like (and on an individual level, might have zero say in whether their company picks up a work or not). There's also debate to be had over whether or not such issues are on the translator's end (IE: the problems/changes were in the base script), or the editor's (IE: received proper, standard translation, and edited it as they saw fit to). Then you have cases like XSEED, where supposedly the lower rank staff would rather be doing the same sort of thing other companies are doing, but Tom apparently has sway enough to keep them from being able to implement such.

For that matter, a somewhat tangential question to be raised. What's stranger: someone learning a new language and then clearly hating aspects of the works they're being paid to handle (and wanting to change things to suit themselves), or someone learning a new language and then clearly hating aspects of the works they're handling for free (and wanting to change things to suit themselves)? Because while it seems less an issue with fan-translations (being that those should be a labor of love, from fans to hopeful fans, rather than a product to be sold), those aren't entirely free from politics of those involved dictating the content the language-base in question gets from a patch.

they typically don't know japanese, they usually just machine translate and "fix" it

user, I…

Oh, and also that a lot of game companies seem to have branches located in Commiefornia. Could also be a factor as to the mindsets of at least some of the people involved.

And there's also: cranking up the game's difficulty, often to an absurd extent.

Beast Wars, actually.

renamon has 9 dicks, so I believe it.

Says a lot that a good amount of Working Designs handled games have "Un-Worked Designs" patches to restore the parameters for things. Though, sadly I don't know that any of them are in line for retranslation patches for use alongside those.

Gender is a grammatical term morons. "He" "she" and "it" are gendered words (with the last being neutral – again, a grammatical concept). It's important to talk about gender when discussing language and grammar. John Money just subverted the term.

I genuinely don't see the problem.

Ni No Kuni is unplayable because of this non-sense. They made the pokemon a retarded Welshman.

They even changed English character names around. English names in Japanese audio are different in the translation. Makes no sense.

That's lewd.

To be honest, that is something I really fucking hate. Tales of Hearts R saw that with, amongst others, "Shing Meteoryte" being localized as "Kor Meteor" for no apparent reason, and aggravating things further, Hearts R is for some reason not a game wherein you can customize the party's names from the Status screen and perhaps fix that yourself (But Hearts R's English version has a lot of problems beyond that anyhow). At the very least, with fan-made undub patches, or script rip patches of the official English text into a JP game file, you could say that we weren't intended to hear the audio the original way anyhow (playing Vesperia PS3, I am noticing that the never-encountered "Casey" was "Canary" or "Kanari" or something in the Japanese audio and script), but it's incredibly noticeable in games with dual audio, or JP audio only. Even someone unfamiliar with moonrunes on the whole can at least pick out when a name is being used, and when it doesn't match the text script.

That's a nice pair tits

I should also maybe add that if a name change is going to be done, I don't mind as much if some actual research effort is put into the character to make sure it fits right (Yuri from Shadow Hearts being a good example; original name was "Urmnaf" and nicknamed "Uru", and the western rename reflects on the characters dual Russian/Japanese heritage), and the game English audio or text only so the name change isn't nearly as visible to the audience. That said, it's still better to keep everything intact, rather than change names or terms willy-nilly because "we don't name people with these sort of things here in western countries!" or simply for reasons of "because we could!"

Don't act like there is no cersorship apologists on 8ch. If you say something that truly hurts the weebs here, you get reported like it's reddit.

Case in point: Dunkey coming out a SJW in his Xenoblade 2 review. Go on ban me We have an army of his asslickers who live in denial that their hero takes socjus up the ass, and as soon as you mention it, they go in denial and turn full ghazis with a bunch of "then just don't watch him" or "who cares you shouldn't mention this".

to be fair, being black IS an insult to life itself.

Are you having a stroke?
Do you not see the difference between mods deleting retarded shit after the intended audience finds it to violate the rules and SJGoons acting like a thought police before anyone even sees the game?
>>>/suicide/

Hard to top this one.

Here's the thing: 90% of game translations fucking suck. People only care about the very obvious cases where the writing is absolutely horrid, but they turn a blind eye to the ones where the result looks good, but it's still completely different. You are not really doing any good by complaining about the extreme cases when it's a problem that exists pretty much everywhere.

example: Splatoon 2 completely and utter destroyed these two's characters. They already did a poor job with the idols in the last game (what the fuck kind of band name is Squid Sisters holy shit), but these two got completely robbed of their personalities and just turned into "Squid Sisters 2." Iida is supposed to be very timid and polite but they made her talk shit and hurl insults like some kind of prima donna. Hime is supposed to be a little self-centered but in a childish way that makes her kind of cute, but no she just talks shit all the time again. Of course, they just do a terrible job in general of portraying the type of street culture Splatoon is based around, turning into some kind of weird parody instead by using tons of cheesy puns everywhere. There is also a LOT of Japanese culture in it which they have to brush over too, but that's at least understandable. And this is not some crazy total fuck up, this isn't just "lol NoA does it again." This is how the vast majority of translations are.

Xenoblade 2 isn't just Gaelic it's fucking everything, but primarily Greek. They changed "Holy Grail" to the "Aegis," because apparently Homura, a sexy sword, is actually a shield with a Gorgon's face on it. They changed Arus to "Titan," even though the Titans made the Gods, not the other way around. Despite that, they (mostly) kept the name of the world the same (Arusuto -> Alrest), even though it is derived from the word Arus. A lot of the blade name changes are fucking retarded, but they all have meaning so it's not really like you can just keep them in Japanese. Oh yeah, they changed Shin to Jin, too. What the fuck is that?
Outside of the name changes and the god awful voice acting, though, the translation doesn't seem to be *too* horrible, but I don't care to study it in depth and really find out. Once again, this kind of stuff is incredibly common.
sage for doublepost.

You see their sample of their relocalization attempt? Sahad says “this Island gives me the willies and makes my willy wanna curl up and hide” in it. NISA need to burn.

NISA are making the localization worse.

4th pic is taken out of context. In the next sentence he says "just kidding I just made it up"

are you brain damaged?
don't answer that

The final solution is to learn moon. You can be good enough to play virtually anything by summer. Why haven't you started?

They probably defend NISA as well.

Saying “just kidding” doesn’t make it better. They still decided to try to push their narrative when it didn’t belong.

Some people learn at radically different rates, even if one simply wants to read the language.

Which is exactly what caused the first exodus during Gamergate. You're calling it retarded because you don't want to hear it, but it's the damn truth. Next you are going to tell me that only the state can do censorship.

It probably got deleted since Jewtube celebrities are cancer.

It's not like this game's story was a work of art or anything (in fact, it was pretty rough), but I still can't believe how bad this (((localization))) is, not just in what they translated, but with how they left a whole bunch of shit out because they were so lazy.

E-celeb threads are against the rules you faggots, and they've been against the rules for over 2 years now.

Just watched the video in question, his opinions were mild SJW. The comment section was where the real cancer resides.

Jap games are shit tbh. At least bad localization is amusing, therefore improves those shit jap games.

typical jewish bullshit, about to give me an aneurism.

Heh, I remember Holla Forums defending rick and morty before season two got released.

Thats fair though. While mediocre it had some enjoyable parts. S2 took away the few good things it had.

Because it had enjoyable moments.

you fools head not my warning and continue to cry about a shitty fire emblem game instead of accepting the true nature of game translations

I'm actually wondering if there is a similar issue in translations as there is in other areas of game making like programming, writing, etc. The people who would be really good in these roles and care about doing things properly at a high skill level just go work in other industries. Why spend all that time on not only becoming fluent in a foreign language, but also on being able to convey the meaning as accurately and faithfully as possible, and then use that talent on something of little consequence like games? There are probably shit translators for political/medical/whatever fields too, but I imagine the expectations and expertise are way higher because the consequences are often higher too.

I dunno, given they say absolutely nothing at all, it's probably better than most of the rest of the localization.

That's because it lost steam and started getting popular.
I do find the japaneese dub to be pretty entertaining though.

"Don't be such a barbarian, a true knight would gladly raise a half-orc as his own!"

Has anyone sent evidence of that back to Falcom as proof that this "improved translation" is willfully worse than prior? Perhaps done out of spite for having their hand forced by Falcom? At the very least it could make them think twice about using NISA if the retranslation is just as bad, if not worse, than the previous one.

as someone who has zero context, can you explain what the fuck the time delay thing is all about? Why would treehouse throw in a cooldown for something that's that long if it wasn't in the original?

Anyone has a screengrab where an user compares the localization and original japanese where the japanese version talks about the Logos and has religious/gnostic symbolism and the localization butchers it all?

I can't even remember the game, maybe one of the Xeno games?

What, is this type of "sensitive subject matter" too much for the target demographic to handle? To me, this is the worst kind of mistake they could possibly make. I understand the hate for the flowery and childish dialogue, but that kind of deliberate omittance of content, probably in the name of "saving the children", is what is responsible for the overall reduction in quality of any given product.

Why is it so hard to 1) retain the integrity of the original work's meaning and 2) keep the stupidity to a minimum? On top of this, if there's some culturally specific idea that must be explained in order to contextualize something, then that should probably be explained through dialogue somehow. I don't believe that this isn't possible.

People doing these translations are reddit/something awful type of people. They think including current memes or a silly in joke is a good idea. They don't want to be editing some smelly gooks game they want to be writing their own stories but this is the best they can do to pay the bills right now.

To this day, i still don't understand, i remember like it was yesterday going to my game shop to return the game because "it was broken" and the store guy was all, nope, that's how the European version is.

Tom and a handful of higher ups actually do wants to keep the game as uncensored as possible. Tom even called out SJWs before. Some people that work at xseed are huge faggots though. Who was that one girl that cosplays as senran characters but then bitches about the games? I remember she also said recently that people should shut up and learn Japanese if they don't like translations by NISA or Aksys.

I also know the writer for the xenoblade games tried to defend the censroship before being called out by Japanese fans and American fans.

This kind of shit is why people end up getting burned trying to learn the language. I would bet there isn't a single motherfucker on this board that could actually accomplish "play virtually anything" fluency in anything less than 2 years. Honestly, Japanese isn't a hard language to learn but it does take a while to get to a functional level with it.

game itself was fine but god dam was the translations butchered beyond all reason effectively killing my mood ever playing it.

still would fuck

like most things was nice before the masses memed it.
just like Five nights when it first came out just like undertale just like a lot of shit.

That's what happens when you put a fucking fujoshi in charge of your vidya.

I don't get the first one.

Out of curiosity, how many dubs did it have out there? Seen cases before where PAL games get more audio options than the NA ones, which in turn can bloat the fuck out of a game's filesize; in the case of systems that didn't allow for digital storage, or game installations, I could see how some parts might get sacrificed for extra disk space, though I'm not sure much removing the content you mentioned might have given back (thought admittedly FMVs like openings, endings, and cutscenes can increase filesize a good bit).

fucking Dragon Quest man

Maybe if someone was gifted at learning languages and studied all day every day they could get decent in a year. The "good enough by summer" is complete bullshit though. Maybe they were trying to motivate people, or maybe they were just shitposting.

Europe is pretty fucked in general. With all the inconsistent media laws between each country, they pretty much ship a version for the lowest common denominator which is usually germany, which means fucking everything is censored. A lot of old games would just do this instead of separate versions for each country because it would cost way too much money, Tie this all up with 50hz cancer and Europe got fucked pretty bad.

That's not even the worst guy in the game, or even that dungeon probably. Remember the tuuti fruuti fucker?

Can't remember and most "movies" were still jpegs with a voice over in the normal version.
But what i do remember is that even those two or there sentences on the loading screens that went deeper into each characters story were also removed.

to be honest I stopped playing soon after "Coburg"(God damn what a stupid rename), I couldn't take it anymore. Went with the PS2 version instead. After clearing that, I read that among others they changed the great temple of the order of light to "Crocodilopolis" (because the boss looks like a crocodile)

It's been years since I've made my first go at hiragana, and only 3.5 years later studying on and off really, can I see some light at the end of the tunnel. As in I think within a year I might be able to read with the help of a dictionary something like yotsubato. I forgot the point of this post, well anyways goodluck anons, don't give up.

Such a shame someone with power at Square seems to think accents were what made Dragon Quest VIII sell well out here, rather than the FFXII demo disc being a massive factor. This is only aggravated further in that, while Dragon Quest VIII also had voicing out here, the subsequent DS games are text only, and accenting text can just make shit hard to understand if you don't know how to readily read through such. Accenting has its uses at times (simulating a regional dialect in the original script, or to emphasize a character being foreign to the game's setting), but in Dragon Quest's case it's just a waste of time and resources with the additional layer of editing.

I'd ask if it would kill Square to try doing a standard English script for at least one down the line, but this is the company that considers Tumblred Moogles acceptable.

It says a lot about how bad they fucked up that people would rather play the versions with less content.

watashi wa pikeru ricku!!!!!!

nothin personnel kiddo

The pilot season was genuinely enjoyable up until the last couple of episodes, then they started to rely more on forced memes, nihilism and "lel sooo randum" humor. This was also before Reddit latched onto it and turned anyone who liked the show into a laughing stock. I know people who still get teased about their "high IQ" because they admitted to liking it.

That image is depressing. Brigandine is one of my favorite games, sad to see the grand edition got fucked with.

Some really interesting things happen.

Going to other castles was a way to get resources for forging weapons, buying weapons, and/or recruiting new units or getting new skills for your units by fighting that player's castle units. I can't think of any reason other than to keep the player from having more fun because that sounds like something treehouse would do.

>Girugamesh becomes Gilgamesh
Fuck Squeenix revisionism.

Everything about this image is cancer including the person that made it

That wasn't a localization. It was always reflect and they had to change it because wall just happened to be a completely unrelated spell.

No, user, you are the gay

REVISIONIST GARBAGE

Fucking kill yourself, holy shit.

Fucking Squeenix revisionism

Would say something about Holla Forums being some sort of proto-reddit, but I found the first episodes to be decently funny. The rest are shit though.

I really like these. Japan tends to be pretty good with localizing, except for Phalanx and what they did to Crash Bandicoot

Looks way more fun than the actual game.

The nip version is better because anime pirate girls are great, but also because it doesn't have whatever the fuck this thing is supposed to be.
How would you even use this?

See Crash, and Ratchet and Clink, also Magical Hoppers / Pandemonium.

My favorite western IPs would all be better if Japanese developers just took control of them. That boxart comparison is all I need to definitively prove it.

I'd be far more worried about the leg-stab gunblade. A couple of fancy moves to shake the holster around, and it could probably even end up right in balls.

They're called "swallows" which are based Eku. They're weapons adapted from oars and used as self defense by fishermen. They're wielded like bo staffs. The one in the picture doesn't make sense because it's really poorly drawn/conceptualized. The handle is way to short as the weapon needs to be wielded by both hands.

Yeah westerners can't really into boxart (or art in general) for some reason. It's prolly because our art schools are infested by post modernists.

That doujin is really shitty.
Isn't there something good with loli elfus?

I'll give you that, the Japanese know how to make some damn good cover art for western games.

I probably needed a better example than a comparison video playing background noises at the same time. Basically, all entries for Crash 1 thru Bash have been changed to make everything look cuter, almost stereotypically so. Crash has a very high pitched and annoying voice shouting anime sounds, most characters barring Neo Cortex have awful voice acting, there's terrible music changes that completely ruin the original's atmosphere (also a singing theme) and even some character designs have been modified. To add insult to injury, you can unlock Fake Crash as a JAP exclusive.

Also, don't just say "westerners". Burgers make godawful box art for their USA+Canuck releases. European made box art are some classy shit when they don't copy the same one as the Americans'.

"Loser"?

Yeah that was a bit unfair. European box art and game art styles can be pretty damn aesthetic. The postmodern disease seems to be affecting burgerland worse than the europoors.

1. What the fuck is this game?
3. Why does it use the same engine as the Cold Steel games?
2. What is a company other than XSeed localizing Falcom games?

I was actually coming in to this thread to ask a similar question - what exactly is the extent of the censorship in the Xenogears and Xenosaga localizations? I did hear they censored the religious themes, but how shit???

What nigger, it wasn't hardcore enough for you? Then, look up Reizoku Elf 3 on sadpanda.

user, I am a vanilla kind of guy.

Cartman is, by design, never negatively racist against anyone but the jews. He would have no reason to call Token a nigger and only cites his race in Faith +1 as an analysis of trends
See also: The episode with him hitting Token and getting arrested for a hate crime

That last one is bait, right?

Do you think kikery with pronouns and all will end, anons?

yno

In what fucking universe?
It was shit. I fell asleep halfway through birthquest (which was supposed to have the best/interesting story out of the 3) on the werewolf map and I had this urge to not play on my 3DS or finish that shit for months. Eventually I finished the game but fuck, it was horrible. That game literally ruined months of time I could've spent having fun

The whole post is bait, actually.

>Not before, not after.
???

See pic 2.

This looks like parody and he has no proof to back his claims.

Except people did fucking complain about it. People were digging and complaining about how they changed the characters before the game even released by checking the translations of promotional materials. You just weren't paying fucking attention. Regardless, it absolutely makes sense that if you want better translations in general, you attack the worst cases of it to raise the standard you fucking mong.

Reminder that NoA is now working directly with devs during the game creation process to give "advice" how to do things so they'll be easier to "localize". Considering Ninty is one of the big three, and this could save money, they may start an industry trend that could have an effect on any Nip game being made with a translation planned. Learning moon is good, but it alone is not the final solution.

Kill yourself.

Objectively superior and more representative of the games' contents as a whole. :^)

You must have a very nuanced opinion on girls scantily clad in revealing armor that doesn't offer mobility.

It's a haladie with kukri blades instead of daggers. That thing would be hell on your wrists and the backhand blade would be near impossible to use due to the size. You could try to use it like a machete with a knuckle-bow, but there's a good chance you'd stab yourself in the process.

More shitty FE translations.
Disregard the captions. Also In the conversation with Lukas bear in mind that he's speaking to a superior officer.

Yea fuck off.

They're a bunch of rebels, not an official army. Lukas is also the advisor to their leader whereas Fernand is kind of there. If anythinghe'd have a higher "rank". I liked the tongue line. Mae's shit though

All anime games are trash anyway. Who cares how they localize it? Same weebs from somethingawful do it just like you are. You need to get taste.

TBH Lukas sounds cooler on the localized version. Giving no fucks and stating it like it is.

A little more pretentious though

if Made in abyss had a game done they'd probaly neuter the fuck out of the humor with sterile PC jokes instead of MC making jokes about the behavior of Reg's penis.

Made in Abyss game with undub fansub when?

I don’t see what’s wrong with some of these. Unnecessary? Sure. Deserving hate? Not really.

Preferences are preferences.

Which ones in particular? The second post you replied to contains
Which of these unecessary additions that are not part of the author's intent are not worthy of hate?

Could be anything between the shoehorned feminism to the little "hella", but even that sticks out like a sort thumb.

That's just a fan translation, right? They didn't actually sell that I hope.

kys

I was talking about the “hella” one and the fifth one. The feminism examples are also a bit shoehorned, but that’s pretty much it.

You first.

This only motivates me to learn 日本語 more.

The fan translations of DQ5 are much more bearable than that official tl.

Nigga, you hella gay tbh famicom.

Who the fuck translated this, groundskeeper willy?

the japs get smug drake, the west gets rossijánin NO GAEMS

>thousands of years later his lineage of Eurasian manlets and super attractive but completely insane great-etc-granddaughters has no idea that their ancestor got totally MEMED ON and RUSE CRUISED
This could happen to you.

Also keep in mind this is one of the more faithful official translations.

but don't you know user, anti-weeb is a codeword for anti-white.

might be true, but compare those version to each other. In the german version cartmen get's beat up because he called token a nigger. In the english version he gets beat up because calling token black is for some reason racist.

Son let Mr. Cosby point out to you some truths of life.

I'm presuming right now that you must be a NEET of sorts on here, that's never, ever, ever, had to balance anything resembling a fucking checkbook. Or if you're in a job maybe it's retail or something where you actually have to do real work of value. But let me use that old phrase once again to describe the sjw, they'd do it for fucking free. You see by now you'll notice one consistant truth about most SJW's/Communists, they all come from elite families, usually of great inherited wealth and renown, but they all chose to use the resources at their command to take the shittiest subjects in college and school. They usually choose the humanities, and because they never bothered to ever work in the more well paying or work a trade where they actually have to face ordinary folks in the public, they have an interest in holding up in jobs they feel have immense influence, but require a bare minimum of effort and allow them to take paid vacations to cosmopolitan captials beyond your meager salary (or lack there of).

And you see despite what you might think post the anime and manga boom of the late nineties and early aughts, lots of fence sitting folks wanted in on the translating anime/gaming industry mistaking that it was just like blogging or yellow journalism, that big, big, big bucks for little effort. And thus they built their professional networks and basically chose to work below scale costs. Thus outbidding better and quality professional translators out of the market.

Ghost Trick begs to differ.

What his post says, Tokyo Xanadu
Because while XSEED tends to be better than most other localizers, it seems Falcom has been displeased with their turnaround time/costs, and has decided to look elsewhere for people to handle western releases for their games, resulting in Aksys snagging Tokyo Xanadu and TX Ex+ and NISA raping Ys. Even the fate of The Legend of Heroes out here seems like it might be up in the air, whether XSEED gets fucked over again or is allowed to keep working on those.

It's kind of funny and sad that a quick skimming of a fan wiki would probably show how things have been properly (if unofficially) handled for a series in English before, yet is likely considered more unprofessional than winging it and missing the point.

Welcome to Square-Enix's Dragon Quest localizations.

I guess you need to be a klingon-ghurka to wield this abomination effectively.

Me too.

You want to get shot yourself?

(^:

Why you baiting nigger?

This tbh

Bit of a waste of time since they don't read.

In principle what they're doing is utterly cancerous and needs to be wiped out as a way of thinking, they believe themselves arbiters of what's allowed and what's not and they need to have that taken away from them at all costs lest they infuse media with even more bullshit lies.

On the other hand it is funny to see weebs getting their asshairs in a knot over these shitty slanteye storybooks that no-one with any sense or good taste should be playing.

It's summer.
t. lives in the planet's dick

"Taking an L" is niggerspeak for losing, usually in a humiliating manner (the L meaning loss)

Why would you shorten a word only for the sake of using it in a phrase that takes longer to say than just the word itself?

okay I thought the Keikaku joke was kind of funny.

Well good thing nobody cares about Nepshit games.

Fuck off, the western covers for Ultima are far better than that weeb shit.

It's still too forced.

Nobody cares about your favorite games either, fag.

That my friend is the real official translation that is for sale in stores at full price.

heil'd
They don't reproduce through sex, basically, so it's irrelevant in that regard. There was a post in the Digimon thread that went into detail about that, and how alien Digimon really are or some shit, but my archive's on my laptop at home.

In Contra and SoR's case, it was purely to discourage people renting the games and beating them, thus preventing an actual sale of the games and thus losing revenue.

In Silhouette's case, Ireland was just a retard who wanted to impose his interpretations on what thought the game should play like, often without even testing to see if his changes broke the game in question.

Fuck off Victor.

I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked!

Funny thing is, the weeb covers were exclusive to Famicom ports of Ultima; when Ultima games were ported to Jap computers like MSX, PC-98, Sharp X68, and FM-Towns, they kept their original western art. Basically, the weeb covers were meant to appeal to children, Nintendo's primary demographic.

It's rather fascinating how westaboo the Japanese PC gaming scene was back then. Hell, Dragon Quest got its start because some guy couldn't stop playing Wizardry which didn't come out over there until 1985 officially. He was probably playing an imported copy.

It was indeed most likely imported, and of course Robert Woodhead himself wound up becoming a weeb himself, licensing anime like Bubblegum Crisis for an American release, leasing the Wizardry name to various developers who would make their Wizardy games (some of which are Japan exclusive) and netting a Japanese wife.

Ultima's success in Japan can't also be understated; while Wizardry was a major influence on Japanese devs, Yuji Hori has noted that Ultima was a major influence on Dragon Quest, namely in its overworld graphics. Ultima was successful in Japan enough that the FM-Towns versions of Ultimas 1-5 feature redone 16 bit graphics, and Ultima 6 actually featured in-game voice acting, all in English done by Garriot and other Origin developers.

I just can't imagine what it would be like to live in an era where all these super influential titles were coming out left and right to the point half the games you were playing were in a language you didn't even understand. It sounds so hopeful and inspiring, like a complete 180 from gaming today.

Where's that from?

I'm tempted to say the FM Towns ports are objectively the definitive versions of the original trilogy.

Sasuga, nippon.

They were developed internally at Origin Systems. For some reason they never released them here though.

looks like shattered memories

For some reason, FM Towns was a Japan exclusive in a time where IBM-based PCs, Windows 3.1 and, soon thereafter, Windows 95, were dominating the market.

The biggest problem here is every single one of you dolts is crowing about this instead of taking the individuals involved to task.
Yes we know. But we need to know more. Who's the senior editor? Who was overseeing localization?

Because none of you keep track of names, thus you don't know who the biggest shitters are in the exchange localization process. Seriously, just start tracking the credits and you'll find the fault men every fucking time. Aksys's biggest problems were originally narrowed down to two shitheads with a bad philosophy—one of whom still works at Aksys to last knowledge and was responsible for the 2014 controversy of the Aksys PR Twitter account blocking anyone that pissed them off or legit asked about their proven shit practices (politely, even), and the other is fucking Bateman, who is still freelance as he can't land another gig thanks to his monstrously shitty "I CAN CHANGE THIS" tweet (even Treehouse didn't want his ass).

Start tracking names.

At this point I'm not sure who's worse, Treehouse, NISA or Aksys.

XSEED isn't great either. You probably have to go back a decade to find a decent localization.

yeah, but at least XSEED does the bare minimum.

I agree wholeheartedly. You won't see results in an instant, and you damn-well won't see them by studyiing sporadically. It's a lot of fucking work, just like anything else you want to obtain in life ends up being a lot of fucking work. But I will tell you right now that passing through simple sentences or getting halfway through news reports before having to pull out a dictionary is a fucking great feeling.

It's dated as fuck, that's what's wrong with it. Think of the audience who plays these games—do those types speak like that, in your mind? Have you met anyone in that age bracket speaking like that? It's like the bullshit Ninty pulled when they "tweaked" Tokyo Mirage Sessions to try and market at tweens. Aksys sells niche shit and should know better. Just on a logistics and marketing standpoint, the lingo is a retarded choice and isn't going to stand the test of time.

You just don't try hard enough, user.

Their work on Wild ARMs was decent enough.

That first paragraph is an appropriate enough answer and where the sane unpozzed mind would stop.

XSEED are the best choice to handle Falcom releases if you want good quality if the current trend is anything to go by.

Unless the other two have managed to literally break games with their translations I think NISA is still the champ.

On one side you have the original 8-4 "translation".
On the other you have the redone translation made for the Steam release and later 3DS update.
Guess which is which.

Your image kind of ruins your guessing game user.

As they’re robots, they shouldn’t even be receiving the sex’s pronouns in the first place. They’re just “it”.

I have to ask, how does one even pronounced "xe?" Like similar to z-e?

You could have become a millionaire in the time you wasted learning a worthless moon language.

Becoming a millionaire wouldn't help me play my weeb games unmolested.

That brings us back to the first problem. Translation is shit.

Just imagine having someone reading out your favourite loli VN to you.

Freelance just means he can't/won't get attached to any company long term; doesn't mean he's out of the industry. You're right about trying to connect the dots with accreditation though.

I'd say to perhaps give mobygames a look, as they usually have credits pages for western releases, but Xanadu Ex+ seems to be too recent to have been done yet, and apparently no one there's given enough of a shit about the Vita original to even do the credits page there either. next easiest answer might be to see if anyone on jewtube has uploaded the game's credits sequence. Though, it's worth mentioning that sometimes you can't even find information on who handled the English script (For example, I still haven't been able to find who it was responsible for the writing in Super Paper Mario; the credits mention nothing about writing, script, or translation, and I can't even find who did the original Japanese script in the Japanese credits either).

With a qt jap accent no less.

Imagine having a real life loli do it while she sits on your lap and a scantily dressed policewoman watches over to makes sure that you don't have an erection

My problem is that people always sexualize lolis with every chance they get. Lolis don't have to be sexual, you know!
Teaching Feeling was so close to being my favorite visual novel ever, but they just had to force the sex on me. Princess Maker was the closest a VN ever got to doing the daughterfu experience correctly.

Sekai's got you covered I'm sure. But no I think the fan translation has a mod for platonic relationship too.

They don't have to be sexual you degenerates.

Wise words.

Just want to suggest:

Make this an ongoing thread and have a repository archive of each and every "localization" of any game that gone wrong. Make sure you got the Japanese version for comparison because no one have delved deep into this topic.

this guy knows it.

I'll drink the loli juice straight outta your pussy, slut

Nice ID, but I'm unfortunately not a little anime girl.

Just keep posting lolis while you pretend and it'll be more than enough for me.

Bullshit. 2D girls aren't real.

I'll masturbate to loli so hard they'll become real

user NO!

It'll be 2D but real, you'll see.

Soft times makes soft people.
Soft people make hard times.

No such thing. If she was real, then sexually abusing her would be a crime.

It's only a crime if someone finds out.

"Published by" does not necessarily mean "localized/translated by"; while some double as both publisher and localizer, or at least grow into that role, many opt to outsource the scripts, either to general translation groups, or vidya focused ones. Anyhow, WA4 seems to have indeed been handled internally, with some freelance help brought in, but as XSEED's first project, they bugged it up as well (not NISA "I just want to finish the game" tier broken, but impossible to 100% in English). Wild Arms 5 and XF (Brave Story PSP as well) they went third-party for the translations of, hiring 8-4 for the job. That said, the fact that XSEED managed to squeeze some quality from 8-4 (against 8-4's apparent predilections when left to their own devices) shows a particular care for how the games in question would be received by the native NA audiance, and leaves WA5 and XF as good examples for why to take 8-4's older works on a case-by-case basis, instead of writing off anything they've touched (though a general leeriness, especially towards their current works, is worth embracing).

That's speaking of the NA English scripts though. I've heard the PAL French one for WA5 was willfully bad, to the point even native French speakers out there would just opt to play in English (505 Games being the PAL publisher).

I still remember how it took until last year, maybe two years ago, for someone to discover an entire option to play as a female guardian spirit (the player being their own character guiding the protagonists in the series) had been removed for the NA release of Baten Kaitos Origins, which up until then I'd heard had been one of 8-4's better works. Between that, and the fact that 8-4 has stated on record that it was a favorite project of theirs due to being allowed to take over every aspect of localization (which I would guess means they had little oversight), I have to question that notion now.

I hear that about Nier too, but nobody talks about how they censored it.

Well how did they? I assume you mean the lack of fag-Nier edition.

No, it's just an undiscovered crime.

They censored Kaine's backstory. In the original version she was stripped naked by the bullies, while in the English version she was beat up.

How else would they know she's a futa?

Holy fuck I'm so glad I didn't buy this game. I'd be fucking furious if I found this out after the fact.

That's rich coming from a yuropoor

That's just the tip of the iceberg. They censored and rewrote a fuckton of that game.

Nier had a hard life. I prefer dad Nier.

Spyro had the best localization to the point where it fucked with the gameplay.

Don't worry. We can all learn Japanese!

Here's the article i stole the screenshot from earlier.

legendsoflocalization.com/lets-talk-aboot-those-dragon-quest-iv-accents/

tldr: the team who translated it pulled it out of their arse coz they think they're superior.

Why are people pushing the "brainlet wojak" 4cuck meme here? It's getting posted with increasing frequency.

We're also getting cuckchan refugees with increasing frequency.

IN DEFENSE OF LOCALIZATION:
have you ever watched an episode of the anime "Detective Conan" and had no clue what they are talking about? Many Japanese mystery games heavily rely on japanese wordplay. These mystery cases NEED to be localized to some extent, because only fluent japanese speakers can understand them otherwise.
this is the only time I support localization

what did he do to 999
because all the panty skirt and sex jokes sure weren't censored

Lolis are for headpats and lewd

Everyone knows that here except maybe the influx of cuckchan niggers recently. Practically no one is ever heavily upset with those kinds of changes and you fucking know it. It's completely unnecessary changes that are made for the following reasons that piss people off.

This only applies in minor wordplay. When an important plot point is kept secret or ambiguous via wordplay, the best option is most often finding equivalent wordplay in the target language. Explaining the wordplay in these cases may ruin the intention of the wordplay and as such would go more strongly against author intent that simply finding something equivalent.

He actually has a point. If a line doesn't make sense outside of its native language then it needs rewriting, and you could only fit TL notes into some types of games. That isn't an excuse for rewriting cultural references that people may not get though because, you know, rice balls are not hamburgers.

Are you a loli?

I'm a loli.

Localization has a bad connotation mainly due to needless changes and meddling. Things like changing the tone of an entire scene, removing options or other things like that.

Anyone, especially Connor and other entryist/gatekeepers, arguing "but literal translations don't work" are disingenuous faggots. We're not talking about literal 1:1 translations, we're taking about accurate translations. They say shit that since its an easy strawman to pull.

No one likes devil's advocate user.

It's more of a strawman, since hardly anyone complains about those sorts of changes.

It's been translated by entitled holes with infantalized mentalities which tells them this kind of childlike sitcom humor is appropriate to shove into a translation.

lol

This.
They're so desperate to put their QUIRKY stamp on anything they'll shit all over everything to do it.

Sorry, "feels guy" for all our redditor friends.

Don't apologize for me nigger.

user, please don't be retarded.

I'm talking about a scene in the game you idiots.

I'm agreeing with you nigger.

sorry user

It's okay.

>post best girl

the fire line is pretty good

thank fuck i didnt buy if

You know, all the time and energy spend in bitching in these threads, you could already be long on your way to playing the Japanese version of that games - like they are supposed to be played, not some "literal" fag…I mean fan translation.

There is not and never will be an Illya route where they fuck, not even Hollow Ataraxia did anything worth mentioning. Just like Taiga never ever

Sauce good sirs?

To be honest though, NIS just released another episode of Shin Hayarigami on mobile; bring the total up to two, and I see some people asking for a localization. Being a HUGE YYUUGGGGEEEE lover of quite possibly the best horror VN series out there, with the shit they keep pulling, I really hope that they do not touch these game at all. Looking at all the rage here in these threads, none of you, even all together, would even come near to matching my fury if they did to this series what they did to the others. Even though I would never have the need to play the games in English, since I can under the games just fine in Japanese, it would completely tarnish the image of this near perfect series. Seriously, if you can read Japanese, even at an intermediate level, play these games.

Smile lads your on tv. Sankaku article ripping this thread off whole cloth www.sankakucomplex.com/2017/12/29/the-worst-of-western-video-game-localizations-sjwese-rather-than-english/

Stop being a retard.

You can't fuck her though.

Well, put your money where your mouth is or shut the fuck up faggot

I wonder whether this thread inspired this post:
sankakucomplex.com/2017/12/29/the-worst-of-western-video-game-localizations-sjwese-rather-than-english/

They obviously just copied the thread.

For what it's worth they don't make it easy. A while ago someone made a post about a woman that was translating Mizzurna Falls. I was curious what she had translated prior to that, mostly so I could go through and nit-pick them, but looking through her Twitter I came across a tweet mentioning that she had never been credited for any of the commercial translations she had done and was even under NDA for some of them.

That's almost google translate tier.

imgur.com/a/X2w49

That shit got fucked when the gooks themselves added their Mary Sues and kill off Marth and Ike.