So many ways to acquire DLC now

It seems like there are more unnecessary hoops and requirements to acquiring DLC than ever before now.

I might sound old, but I miss the good ol' days. Back when devs tried to cram as much content and ideas into their games as humanly possible. Back when the content of games wasn't sectioned off into bits and pieces. Back before DLC ever existed and modern devs didn't placed so many unnecessary hassles to get these extra pieces.

You got one thing wrong, amiibos are not dlc.

Yes they are

No, they're figurines. Like the old cards with codes on them, just instead of entering a code you scan it.

So on-disk DLC

You're not alone. While online capability does have valid uses (foremost being multiplayer options for areas where finding people to play with in person might be hard to come by), it's brought a swath of problems the industry could have done without.
Also related is making content dependent to online multiplayer to unlock/access, as when those services go down anyone that hasn't already gotten them in the past will become unable to do so.

Having finally gotten access to a CFW PS3 due to the exploit last month, I will say it feels very good to be able to search the internet for uploads of DLC, updates, or games entirely, and be able to dump them on my PS3 without having to worry about official servers eventually being dropped (especially in cases where various games practically need their patches to be remotely good; ZoE2 HD for example).

They might as well be. Somewhere between DLC and e-reader cards. Regardless of which they're overpriced too, when they sell (or were being sold for) like $13 each new (when not out of stock and being only sold at scalper prices) and only offering a meagre benefit. And that's to say nothing of the actual figure quality at times. I suppose the one benefit is being able to resell them if you don't have/want to play the games using a given one anymore, but still.

Now sure how you download something on a disk.
Still nobody bitched and moaned this much when E-readers did it, and these give you a nice little figurine.
Why the fuck do you even consider buying them if you don't want the figurine? They're priced more for that with iconic figures usually being more costly.

I just make it a point to never buy a game that has DLC.

So basically it's more expensive DLC with a shit quality figurine attached, except you can't sell it or get rid of it afterword unless you want to lose access to the DLC.

Have you never used a PC in the past 20 years?

I swear to god people like you are cancer.

Basic summary of the clusterfuck that is amiibo
>Amiibo unlocks/uses/amount of times to scan them varies from game to game. Some games can have their amiibo content unlocked without amiibo but it just takes longer (Star Fox Zero, requiring all 70 medals to get the exclusive Arwing variations or just scan Fox and Falco amiibo to get them instantly. Super Mario Maker and it's random costume unlocks or use amiibo to get the ones you want). Most are unfortunately content that exclusive locked to the amiibo, most of which is cosmetic thankfully. Zelda: BoTW are one time scans until you unlock their various (clothing) rewards, once you have that clothing it unlocked for that profile. Then their is complete annoyance like Codename STEAM require having to scan the Fire Emblem series amiibo each play session to unlock those 4 exclusive FE characters.

If that's a reference to e-Reader cards, they could actually store quite a bit of custom data on their "dot code" strips. Small NES games could be stored in 5 cards with 2 strips each, though said games obviously don't have any high score data memory. And it was apparently possible to program your own. The Animal Crossing series of e-Reader cards also has password codes on them to unlock in game items (nothing exclusive or new, just existing in game furniture/clothes AC stuff) I still remember looking at the little free brochure that came with a AC e-Reader pack and being able to read off the small print of Tom Nook's card password to get a free Work Shirt.

dont worry, all the free money that youre going to get from net neutrality being signed out will be more than enough to afford all the dlc you could ever want goyim

Sadly most games these days do have DLC of some form, be it paid or free. I was honestly a bit surprised when Odin Sphere Leifthrasir didn't have any (and as an aside, even played right off the disc without requiring a forced disc install).

I don't even know if e-readers even proved all that popular to begin with. I honestly don't see them, let alone the cards for them, at secondhand shops much at all.

Faggot.

One of the things that makes me pirate games is dlcs. It's either I buy the game to play half of it or pirate to get the full experience.

And then you have shit like Samus Returns, where you need to fulfill unlock conditions in the game, first, then use the amiibo to get your reward.

amiibos are not really DLC. They're more like a "DLC for every game applicable", so it is a step up than a single one-time DLC for one-game only.
It also serves as a figurine
It's definitely a step higher than DLC.

Except all that is canceled out by it being physically limited. Only a finite amount of people can have access to that content at any one time, officially. If the tag in the figure stops working for any reason, that means one less person can potentially access that game content. Plus, one person can buy more than one of a single amiibo, creating further artificial scarcity for digital content.

But how many games will the Amiibo be useful for? There's no guarantee that you'll get your money's worth out of an Amiibo since you'll never know how many games will be developed with the Amiibo in mind. Will this Arwing Amiibo have enough compatible games to make the purchase worthwhile, of will Nintendo forget about the Star Fox franchise again and screw me over in the process?

This shit pisses me off the most. Why the fuck are there now numerous different "editions" of games? What exactly am I expected to pay 40 extra fucking dollars for? Oh, the Winter edition comes with DLC? What exactly does that mean? Which "content packs" are covered by the season pass? What cosmetics do I get with the Gold edition? On top of this bullshit, the game still has microtransactions.

I don't mind DLC if they can do it right. Dark Arisen was a good DLC. Artorias of the Abyss was a good DLC, along with the Three Kings DLC for DaSII. What pisses me off is when they arbitrarily cut content like this, because it becomes difficult or even impossible to decipher what the fuck you're buying anymore. Not only that, this is just a feeble attempt at artificially raising the price of games. Why release a final cut with all the DLC available when you can just create three distinct versions of the game at launch and then vary the prices between them as is dictated by the game's demand and the DLC release schedule? Oh, you're just going to wait until all the DLC is released and the final cut is produced? Well, fuck you. Have fun waiting for 4 fucking years or longer, because we're going to try and prolong the life of this product for as long as possible. Then, when we do finally lower the price for a sale or something, we're only going to lower the price for the base version of the game, and keep the DLC price the same, unless you buy the Gold™ Edition, which will never fall below a certain price point.

This shit is just another way to try and squeeze more out of you while simultaneously putting out less content.

They're in the same vicinity as DLC.

Not only that, but, often, old amiibos will unlock significantly less valuable content than newer ones. In Kirby Planet Robobot, all the new amiibos that were released with the game either gave an exclusive copy ability or a new costume. A vast majority of older amiibos only gave a copy ability you could already find in the game.

More detail.
Yeah, it's pretty annoying when you think about it. Not a fan of that implementation. Then again that will just go down the path of amiibo = cosmetic unlocks which people then complain about saying the amiibo aren't useful enough, leading to more annoying gameplay locked amiibo content.

THIS. This is a good point worth mentioning.

Those Sims addons were developed over the span of four and five years respectively, and offered a ton of new content and mechanics. That's nowhere near DLC quality.

I agree with Guitar Hero though, those were just the same game over and over, just with different music.

DJ hero is a really fun game