Did Arkane know they were sending this out to die?

So i was in Smyths looking for YuGiOh! cards like a good goy and i saw Prey on PS4 for £2.99 preowned. I liked the original but knew this had nothing to do with tommys wild ride but it looks like Dishonoured without the social justice pandering so i grabbed it. Was surprised the stoner behind the counter said 'we got stacks of new ones that aint shifting, you want one of those instead of this scratched up one?'

I got home and played like 2 hours and it was pretty dull at first. A nice intro sequence turns out to literally be a ruse and you have been repeating the same day for months doing retarded tests. So i put it down, nice twist but wrench hitting simulator was done already with Bioshock.

But the last few days i've gotten into it more and it honestly feels like the system shock sequel bioshock should have been. Midway your start to learn enough about the 'typhon' mimics infesting the station you are on that you start to insert nueromods giving you typhon powers and then the game starts to click. Like the opening tests seem like mundane shit and you -an amnesiac- dont know why the testers get mad but looking back its because the tests were to see if typhon mods could give humans powers yet. Its very clever stuff that works retroactively.
I had the rest spoiled and know the end but im still playing it as i enjoy the way it opens up later. Locked room? well you can smash in a barred windows glass and hit the door open button with a foam nerf gun dart, drag a table to the window, turn into a cup or some shit after turning part mimic and rolling through the bars or looking for a key or haivng the strength tiered up to smash the door. Its a very nice shock clone that lets you fuck around and do what you want.

So all that said why did Arkane bother? they knew about the Prey 2 buzz, they surely must have known bethesdas outright evil con to ruin that team to force them to break a contract to claim all the assetts as years of free work that ruins a competitor that would lead to a boycot of the game and yet they put a lot of work into what looked like a brand exercise to sell a name.

Why bother when it was born to die?

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.com/browse/overrepresentation?s=t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They probably thought having an E3 trailer during the Bethesda conference as well as "featuring Chris Provolone from the Fallout series" would give them Bioshock-tier sales.

Because it was someone's pet project over at Arkane who really wanted to see through his dreams of making a spiritual successor to System Shock, which was Raphael Colantonio I believe. He also resigned after its release after its lukewarm reception, probably being fed up with it all. It's been seven months and we still haven't seen the alleged Survival Mode patch, let alone a single patch. The game is abandonware at this point.

why do you people have to use words when you don't know what they mean?

and what would that do? some shitty water meter you need to fill like F04 apparently had?

I mean thinking about it it IS bethesdsa behind both so probably.

Its a shame really since i know this ends on a twist reveal to set up a sequel thats far bigger in scope. Like what if Shodan made it onto a technologically advanced human colony world and its never going to happen.

Which i guess means Bethesda killed 2 Preys. not just Prey 2.

I fucking hate this asshole overreacting to everything

Code word for NEVER EVER.

I think nuPrey had some neat ideas. It shouldn't have been called Prey and they should have spent some effort in making the enemies actually look interesting, because it's all boring samey shit. The game is pretty fucking long too if you explore all of it, which just compounds the issue of the enemies being ass.

It seems like Arkane wanted to make a half-decent space survival/System Shock game, but Bethesda kept sticking their greasy fingers in development and marketing. It's the same situation Scalebound would have been in if Kamiya didn't cancel the project due to Microsoft's interference.

someone didn't listen to the voice logs
quirky lesbians for days

There is absolutely nothing wrong with lesbians in videogames

They're western lesbians, user. There's absolutely nothing right with them.

This is some advanced shilling

It's just chickenshit executives who have a heart attack at the idea of throwing something new out there. Too bad it was completely counterproductive of them.

It has less to do with fear and more to do with setting up a situation where they can never take the blame. If they dig up and kill an old series then the damage is done to that series, not any of them, and if it does well then that's just gravy. Corporate politics work in a very personal sort of way and it wouldn't surprise me if most execs, especially at Bethesda holy shit did you see their E3 montage this year?, aren't overly emotional psychotics.

This board is full of cuckchan
We got faggots shilling for the NuDoom Switch port while complaining about "PC shills".

Its that bad

The current state of the board

This is actually what tumblr calls triggering. You understand that right?

ITS LIKE POTTERY

Bethesda and Zenimax are shitting the bed with an enlarged anus at this rate.

Ah, fedoracore and new. I forgot about the bitcoin exodus going on,

A sale's a sale, goy.

and all sales are final

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

It's a shame. I actually really liked nuPrey. It was a little lacking content-wise but very well designed and fun to play

It was mediocre as all fuck

By then it was too late. Arkane were turned into a Bethesda/ZeniMax subsidiary in 2009, if I remember correctly.

Enemy design was fine, could use a few more varieties, but it's a lot more than some games have. I mean most shooters just have all humanoid enemies anyway, different flavors of dude-with-gun. Prey's enemy variety pretty much matches the various mutants in the STALKER series pretty closely, with a few completely different ideas and a few direct copies (like the poltergeists in both).

Weapon variety is admittedly pretty shit. In fact the only weapon actually worth a damn most of the time is the shotgun. Shotgun+slow time (with damage boost) could 1-shot most things and 1-clip even the nightmare. Typhon powers are supposed to supplement that, but I didn't find them to be all that useful in combat.

I find it funny that around 2008 or 2009 using emoticons and saying 'lol' became a taboo on the internet, so you started saying 'lel' or 'kek' and that was completly okay. Top kek as you kids say.

I wouldn't even mind their design if they added some variety to their color pallete/textures and attack patterns which are basic as all hell too besides the Mimics.
Not even gimmicks attacks like the Poltergeist you mentioned or the Controller.
Its all just melee and projectile with the same 1 or 2 attack patterns besides those annoying Anti G exclusive suicide fucks.
They're not even good for stealth which is another completely useless aspect about the game.
They're puzzle and passive abilities and not much else.
What pisses me off is that I minimized the Typhoon powers, so much that they refer it in the ending and yet I you only need a mere three and the turrets will already try to fuck you up.

Seriously its like they stopped making assets midway and just padded the levels with the Weapons and enemies they had.

Stealth is vital early on or you're going to get wrecked. Monsters being super fast and damn powerful made for very interesting scenarios where avoiding shit was important.

Mimics being anything was also a great mechanic until they fucked it up by giving you a scanner.

get a fucking grip nigger, I didn't use it outside the image prefering instead for the use of an onomatopeia, kek is barely used anyway, every cancerous faggot is overusing "lmao" instead

But thats when the enemies are piss easy ro kill, stealth is only used against the big fuckers that look goofy as hell or to avoid nests and one or two high level techno/telepath.

Its fucking useless and the upgrades it has are as well, whats the point of getting a sneak attack when you can just throw a grenade at some fuckers and they insta die?

When you first get to your office and have to go through the medical area you will die in like 2 hits and don't have a shotgun yet.

Unless you're using the DLC shotgun they hand you immediately and playing on easy mode. Then I could see why you think Stealth doesn't matter.

NuPrey was good, and it didn't deserve to flop like it did.

it was awful, there was absolutely no variety in the entire game. The amount of design we did get would be good for a much much shorter game, as it is, the game is awful simply because there's nothing to keep itself going other than a few gimmicks

Arkane are not good developers anyway.

same as
Guess which one appear in western video games, you fag.

This user.

In fact, the only disgusting lesbian character in a western game I've ever seen is the bitch from DA Cisquistion.

Your definition of "awful" needs re-evaluating. The "gimmick" meme is pretty stale, too. What exactly is a gimmick to you? Is being a First Person Shooter a gimmick? Is walking through levels a gimmick? Is being a Chinese-American-Corporate a gimmick? Are alien powers a gimmick? Those things all (with the exception of being Chinese) sound like game-play or mechanics to me, not gimmicks.
So far as no variety is concerned, I really haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. Both of these charges I see levied against this game and to both I say "What?". I wasn't bored for a moment while playing that game.

Gays are gays: kill yourselves for making exceptions. Easternfolk don't "do lesbians right" they just do them as inoffensively as possible so as to cast the widest Otaku net. Stop getting memed.

Are you implying I don't want to vomit at the sight of this screenshot?

I guess you're blind then.

I'm not a yurifag, but at least the moeblobs look palatable compared to, bootleg ellen page, and a quadroon abomination from

Video games are escapism instead of documentary. Therefore, it is possible to have beautiful happy lesbians in video games.

The whole mimic thing is a complete gimmick. It's never used in an interesting way outside of "go under a door" and "look we can change the collision box of the character aren't we cool". And yes a majority of those alien powers were massively uninspired and the ones that weren't were see above just a gimmick to sell the game.

Also being a bland uninspired FPS with a self defeating story and setting, look it's an alien that just looks like a dude except… he's blurry? kind of? Or the majestic large floating alien what inspiration.

Deliberately mistyping nigger doesn't change the they are. It's a major reason why people think obama's wife is a tranny.

I dare you naming a japanese game with an attractive realistic looking female. Not anime-ish, and not cosplay makeup look-alike slut.

The game was probably called Prey in the middle if not at the last stages of development. Bethesda in all its wisdom probably thought a new IP is too risky and they had to use the Prey name somewhere.

Do the same for a western game, witcher isn't western.

>>>/cuckchan/

It got called Prey because the IP was about to expire or something.

Females in western games generally are realistic looking but not ugly, at least back in the late 2000's.

Unfortunately for you, we live in the current year

I'm so glad we have superior western studios to give us all these beautiful womyn

Those are nu-bioware shits. Are Life is Strange girls even ugly?

The entire game is an ugly piece of shit.

Keep graphics out of this. Some jap games like xenoblade chronicles 2 are even uglier anyway.

try again her concept was actually pretty cute

Graphics, or rather graphics capabilities are important. Look at the helmet hair in Life is Tumblr and tell me that is not the result of incompetent devs.

It's the very definition of samey bullshit. All the guns and powers are boring as hell too. I guess it fits tho, oldPrey had the exact same criticism levied against it when it released.

There are like two whole fucking white people in the game, they're literal nobodies and half of them are dead

Gameplay
Game is clearly raped by socjus and budget constraints. It's barely one mark less on the socjus-o-meter than mankind divided.

only the part about the lesbians is even possibly socjus pandering. the rest is only offensive if you're a Holla Forums-tard.

you're right about the gameplay complaints, though. it definitely is a shit game.

It's First Person, why would you care about who you're playing as?
For all we know, Doomguy could be chinese as well.

There's a single type of enemy that teleports in the entire game. You just have shitty tracking skills and\or you're playing on a console.

You're also forgetting about the hives in the walls, the human enemies you can indeed find, the turrets, the different elemental types and the gigantic dude that comes after you.

How many did SS and SS2 had? And of those, how many were practically reskins of each other?

Get fucked. It was the simplest non-intrusive system possible that made sure all the shit that other games give you for which you have no use can at least be converted into something you're actually using.

The game is not "clearly raped by socjust" at all, you're just looking for some sweet confirmation bias.
There's already enough problems with the game to justify why it failed that you don't even have to make some more up, you twat.

You sound like an obnoxious retard.

Did you play the fucking game?

You talk like a fag and your shits all retarded.

Good job outing yourself as a cuckchan cockgobbler.

We'd need some historian here to set the events chronologically since the explanation for this shit depends a lot in when was Arkane bought by Bethesda\Zenimax.

The thing about Arkane is that they still want to make good games, but shit's a bit hard when you're under the supervision of someone else that cares more about sales than the game itself.
The most pertinent question to ask Arkane regarding Prey is "What was this game actually gonna be called?" because it's fairly obvious it wasn't going to be Prey.

This might have been the final straw for Raphael Colantonio and it is indeed the biggest mistake in the game.
Bethesda likely didn't trust in Arkane making a new IP and therefore shuffled the name of a recognizable older game onto it so fans had a "hook" to it. Dunno the timeframe between Dishonored 2 and Prey, but seeing how D2 didn't meet the expectations, this likely gave Bethesda no reason to have faith in Arkane.

So yes, Arkane did put some effort into this because they care.
Then Bethesda decided they knew better, gave it the name of a game that's vastly different and for which a sequel that also had nothing to do with this was canceled, believing this would boost sales.
I'm surprised Arkane hasn't firebombed their own studio and started a newer one.

kill yourself

It's the guy who did a #NotAll after a islamic attack, right?

Bethesda and Zenimax are pissing off all their fans with the creation club and even normalfags waking up to the mediocrity of the recent Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Their smaller titles are ok tier at best and garbage waste at worst with the sequels being forgotten about after a month or two.
Cant Wait for the next Elderscrolls, if they release it on gamebryo again I promise you even the normalfags will be up in arms and bethesda is gonna die pretty quickly

How long did it take until it got fun? I've tried playing this twice and both times dropped it because it was just boring as hell.

i like Prey and Evil Within 2,
few titles this year match how well these were made

Why don't you go back whence you came, 4cuck?

where you the pedantic autist from the GoG thread who had a completely unique and bastardized version of the the term that excluded all intellectual properties that were historically abandoned?

damn I might have been interested in the game if it actually took a risk. Survival Mode sounds tidy.

There's only one way I'll buy another Prey: VR remaster of the original. Fuck NuPrey and fuck the unfinished Prey 2 that threw the original gameplay away for a "Strangers Wrath but SyFy" unrelated concept. A true sequel to Prey would have been nice, but that's not what we would've gotten even if Bethesda hadn't been grade A scumbags to Human Head Studios…

Yep. Grow a spine and stop giving games a pass for trying to program the populace just because you like parts of it.

Irrelevant to the game you shitflinger. But I have two Engineering degrees. It's propaganda because there's only been one woman I've ever met that wasn't being carried by the thirsty nerds around them.
The entire website is a bundle of Holla Forums and shills, cry more.

Don't project son, who said it was hard? I said shit. All phantoms will teleport to your face. Only the etheric does it long range. Game is psychoshock, pull trigger, rinse, repeat. Also, how does a person need better tracking if the enemy teleports to your face? Oh, and the game doesn't count headshots only sneak attacks, it is a console game.

reskins, they all throw shit and will melee
not in the build that I played
A big phantom. Sounds like someone didn't do the satellite quest.

Fuck off shitheel, you can't make prey good by painting other games as bad. 4 fucking damaging guns. 5 if you count zapping technopaths.

Are always bad, they're grind and "gamefication" to keep you playing. How about the rest of the game does that? Ties into the other points about the only shit you need to upgrade is stuff to make it so you don't have to walk to the recycler.

You're contradicting yourself, either it had a political message I disagree with and was raped by socjus, or it didn't. Which is it 4cuck?

I thought of some more generic complaints too. You can clearly see the focus group on the game. There's the forced diversity but there's also the forced vapor/synthwave. Wew, cinematic out of place helicopter ride. You can just see all the execs gathered around trying to figure out what the kids are listening to. They then decided that people liked the big sister, so we'll have one of them too, complete with timer so your eceleb can scream for 3 minutes to show people how scary your game is. We should also do art deco because Bioshock had that and that sold well too. Oh and 3d printing is in. It's derivative, up to and including the name.

The biggest problem with Arkane is that they just aren't talented enough to make good games and it shows. It's not publisher-things that ruins the game, it's fundamental shit like punishing you for exploring in Prey (while hiding the good stuff away on offbeat paths) or punishing you for using the abilities in Dishonored while it's the most fun and unique part of the game (or giving you no clue how well hidden you are during the game, which makes it pretty damn hard to sneak around).

It's pretty obvious Arkane is plagued by focus group bullshit though, like the instance in Dishonored where a playtester couldn't complete a level because an NPC just said "No, you can't go upstairs".

That insult has existed for years before that faggot cucked out, you insufferable presumptuous faggot.

You really are a retard.

A shame since they weren't always like that, Dark Messiah and Arx Fatalis come to mind but opinions may vary.

It's not a character, it's hundreds all over the mainstream media and any piece of entertainment that includes them automatically becomes part of the problem.

a while ago some user posted a pic of her concept art and it looked pretty okay.

also whats with western devs modeling women with man-jaws?

Pozz aside, get some standards

(1)

(2) now. I haven't even played Prey 2, to be honest with you. I don't know if it's a good game or a bad game, but I saw that ridiculous argument you made and I needed to point it out for how stupid it was. Try to keep your points relevant to the game itself.

Fuck off.

Check the dictionary definition of overrepresentation:
dictionary.com/browse/overrepresentation?s=t
And that also refers to female engineers.

speaking as someone playing the game right now she's really incredibly dull and has no interesting qualities about her. In comparison to pretty much any other girl this year, kat (best girl), 2B (emotionally stunted good girl), there's nothing remotely believable about aloy. she's not even interesting. She's a generic "hardened" (read: boring) serious girl no-nonsense protagonist. There's so many basic things about her that they just fucked up for the sake of """""""""""'realism"""""""""''' in my robot dinohunter game.

Did you know that sodomites are maximum 3% of worlds population?
However they're responsible for around 40% of all cases of child rape.

The only nation in the world that has any parity in women and men earning engineering degrees is Iran.
Anything which shows more than 1 in 5 (the current graduation rate in the US, one woman for every four men) is propaganda.

This is the number of non-heterosexuals that should be in any video game: 0

that fuck is that still alive!

The absolute biggest fuckup of her character that they made was ignoring the fact that she's been a socially stunted hermit shunned by society for the last 18 years or so, but then suddenly gets thrust… wait, no… not even that. She thrusts herself - into a dense (in more ways than one) tribe of people and goes on an epic quest to some massive pre-industrial societies - and she has absolutely zero problems not only fitting in - but commanding awe and respect from everyone around her to the point where even the soy-boy king falls in love with her and comes to respect her council.

It's fucking horseshit of the highest calibur, I swear to god. They could have made her an interesting semi-autistic social introvert hunter/survivor/wildchild who becomes a reluctant hero due to circumstances that keep dragging her into other people's problems - and using that awkwardness and self-interest as a foil for some good character dynamics and growth.

But nope. She's a 0 character, 0 personality, boring mary sue from the word go - and the most character "development" you ever get is finding out that she's a clone of a literal Lady Jesus who saved the world after some white man (of course) fucked it up - and then sacrificed herself so that humanity could have a second chance.

She is one of the most terribly written character I've ever come across in any media. And that's not hyperbole. Ashley Burch really was the perfect voice actress to represent such an abomination.

I'm fucking furious they are putting that ginger troll in Monster Hunter World.

They look like someone got handfuls of greasy Playdough and deliberately tried to make people who look retarded.

Do you like blue haired tattoo covered dyke sluts literally voiced by a SJW who caused all the voice actors with a known name to go on talent so they could demand royalties?

Don't need to be Holla Forums to notice that there is an endless supply of blacks talking in damn near ebonics supposed to be scientists in this game.

Well, it USED to matter - anyhow.

But didn't you see how many awards bioshock infinite got? A girl who had never left a tower is literally a Disney princess so that means being socially ackward is a neckbeard CHOICE and nothing to do with your environment.

what game is the first image from?

First Prey.

I didn't even know it was out.
I dont care about Western shit

Yeah. He also shilled Andromeda to point of banning people is fake as shit and uses annoying soundboard. He is epitome of
WE DID IT CHAT.

Literally who?

They do it so save space. Most male a female character models use the same head just resized.

People don't realize how fantastic that intro is. It's a masterpiece of effective storytelling. In just a few minutes, you learn:

- the hero's name (Tommy)
- the hero's background (Cherokee, army mechanic)
- the hero's living conditions (a reservation)
- the hero's personal connections (girlfriend, paternal grandfather)
- the hero's outer conflict (wants to leave reservation, girlfriend wants to stay there)
- the hero's inner conflict (rejects his injun heritage, grandfather wants him to accept it)
- the hero's call to adventure (abduction by aliens)

All in a perfectly organic manner – not rubbed in your face, not listening to someone doing blatant exposition, not as logs you have to read or listen like you're in a goddamn classroom.

You legitimately sound no better than a retarded "SJW" making up pathetic crybaby shit where there is none and trying to force words and retarded "ideas" on everyone else. You're pretentious.

This kind of story terrifies me. A good game should sell; that it can be fucked over just isn't right.

But it's not good.

Who the h*ck cares, fam? No one remembered the first one, it was essentially a new franchise.

You need to go back.

Just stop posting.