Japanese Spooks

What are some games with yokai?

aside from yo-kai watch

Other urls found in this thread:

yokai.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck off with tmplate threads.

Youhou and Tokai Watch

Where can I go to learn all about Yokai, Japanese urban legends, etc?

Do you want godly pixel-art and a title based on an old manga?

Onimusha? I don't really know what a yokai is, but there are monster in onimusha.

Okami is basically all about fighting Yokai.

The internet.

There's a decent documentary about it on YouTube, but when it comes to finding quality old art it gets a little harder.

Of course.

Good game and it falls under the category.

Didn't know that, and it just got a PC release too. does it use dunevo?

Oriental Blue aka Ao No Tengai for the GBA has plenty of yokai, and yes the game has a fan translation.

Or hooktube I should say.

That looks neat, I'll download it when I get home.

Here you go

If you want I can give you a short review.

Nioh for intense battles. Yomawari for running into them into dark street corners and being helpless.

Not him but I'm interested

Touhou is all about fighting youkai sometimes

It's a turn based JRPG with a party of up to four members, each with their own skills and abilities. You can switch between party members, at certain points in the game, however some are necessary to continue the main quest, and others are necessary if you want a few extra scenes in a dungeon/dialogue with the boss. The one interesting thing about the game, is it's magic system, to use magic you need crystals that are obtained after defeating enemies and bosses, they range from doing elemental damage, to healing, to poisoning, debuffing and buffing. Each time you use a spell, you use up a crystal, however you easily gain crystals and can carry up to 99 of them, don't worry you don't need to grind for them. There are also some machines that let's you combine crystals into obtaining more powerful crystals(2 X 30 fire damage gives a 90 fire damage crystal, for example). Whenever you get a powerful crystal, by using the machine, you can find out it's components, so it's not all that much guess work.

It's a semi linear story, in that you aren't told exactly where to go, and can visit a large part of the main map from the very beginning, but you can't do all that much in those other towns. Other parts of the map are guarded by high level monsters to block your progress(and yes you are warned about them) or they require a story specific item/event to go further. Personally I enjoyed aimlessly searching the land, and I do think that it's better if you explore without a guide. The people from cities, mostly have clues about where to go, or where you can find X, or they tell you the legend of Y and where it is. There is also a journal that records the most important events, so you won't get lost in all that information. You can also fight bosses, much earlier than you are required to do, miss out other boss fights, and so on. Interesting enough, you never truly die in the game, when your party HP reaches zero you wake up at an in, however from what I heard if you loose a fight with certain bosses, some dialogue and future events change.

Without going into spoilers, the Taiko/King has just died, evil spirits have risen and will plunge the world into hell Makai, and you have received a strange letter from the now deceased king. It's your job to find out your place in this world and story, traveling through different countries and meeting all sorts of creatures and beasts, and also Jews. Overall the story is quite mature and dark, without any of the trappings of modern JRPG tropes, well besides the whole save the word from the darkness.

The array of party members is quite vast, from a troll, a lizardman, your waifu, a scientist, Shadow the Hedgehog and others. They all have their individual stories, and I really enjoyed Shadow's story, about how she picked up a cursed sword, made by her husband, to avenge his death, by fighting a jealous spirit who killed her husband, while he tried to protect the life of the king, from the jealous woman. From what I have read, some party members are miss-able, and depending on your choices, they get replaced with others, Shadow being one such example.

Sadly, I am not too good at distinguishing good soundtrack from mediocre soundtrack, nor do I have excellent taste in music. With that said, I never found the music to be bad, or horrible, and there were one one or two moments were the music and visuals went nicely together, like when the blue castle has risen.

Overall I enjoyed the game, and would recommend to you, if you are a fan of JRPGs. Hope that this has helped you, and sorry if my review is a bit too dry, this is one of the few reviews I have ever written.

Would you call asian horror…
Gook Spook?

In what games can i find fluffy fox grills and fluffy fox grills accessories?

Oboro Muramasa

yokai.com/ ?

Already knew about that one, got some more?

You certainly got me interested in the game user. Thanks for the trouble

How long is the game? I don't want to play it if it's any longer than 30 hours.

There's that new dungeon crawler game Hyakki Castle - it's kinda like Grimrock, except you're in a Japanese castle fighting Japanese spooks.
And 99 Spirits, which is an RPG about fighting household objects after they've lived for 100 years and become tsukumogami.
Then there's also Cuphead :^)

No, I pirate my single player games. The issue is that I've played many JRPGs in my time, but they are usually painfully slow and the gameplay rarely ever justifies that fact. Hey, if the gameplay is good, I have no problem playing for a while.

Nioh has both yokai and humans to fight in there. Also you can have japanese spirit stands.

Full pics on these? There's also monster girl quest

A guardian spirit is very different than a stand you nonce.

Not sure if the other games are as focused as Oriental Blue (being that it's a spinoff), but Tengai Makyo Zero has also been fan-translated now too.

Sengoku Rance has plenty of Youkai and they're a fairly big part of the story.

the ganbare goemon games have them pretty frequently. You even fight the Gashadokuro early on.

Have you played the Kiki Kai Kai series?

huh?

(((1)))

Get a hold of Cosmology of Kyoto. More of an interactive encyclopedia than a game, but still fucking awesome.

It's more likely than you think

Mizuki Shigeru no Youkai Shashinkan. Japan-only NeoGeo Pocket Color game. You go around using a camera to capture Youkai drawn by the guy who did Gegege no Kitarou and turn them into cards and battle with them. It got very high reviews, but being on the NGPC killed it.

fuck off kike
>>>Holla Forums

Are there any games with some of the more obscure youkai?

Please tell me there's a fan translation. I'd love to play it.

Believe it or not, Cuphead in Railroad Wrath.

Hyakki Castle.

That sounds so fucking fun

Taimanin series i guess

guwange

This. Heiankyo is so fucking cool.

The Keaton fox in Zelda along with Vulpix and Ninetails from Pokemon, are a reference to kitsune, which are spirits that cause mischief. They can pose as humans to trick their prey into their misfortune.

Thanks didyouknwgaming
truly unknown knowledge

So, why don't you go ahead and share your in depth and expert insight on the subject? Oh, right. You can't.

There's this game.

So it's SMT/Legend of Grimoire except explicitly for youkai, and you can make a party youkai attack from a different angle?

it's a good thing I pirated this
hopefully it plays alright with mouse and keyboard.

friends ended up making me a raperry emulator for christmas, have it one there now.

that looks real nice.

that sounds good to me.

been meaning to play these for a while even if only for the foxy milf fox. Plus I generally enjoy shmups.

tracking down now.

Wonder why this got mixed reviews. I'm playing it now and having quite a bit of fun with it, but then, I don't really know Dungeon Crawlers all to well seeing as the only other one I've played was Might and Magic VI

muh honor and muh responsibility
neither are real

Wouldnt you just call them Jooks?

There's always something so pleasant and comfy about old Japanese art.

That looks pretty good as far as shmups go.

GS Mikami

were those youkai? I know she fights them in the manga, but the SNES game didn't have youkai as bosses did it?

bump

You wouldnt be bitching if the OP started with a retarded fucking anime girl.

I can do both.

Tell me, user, do you like Thom Yorke?

I was gonna recommend 逢魔が時 at first, but majority of the people here don't understand Japanese. Well, maybe some who does will see it.

日本語分かるけど、それでもやってみる積もりはまったくねえよ。 

All the cool kids are learning Japanese in the Nippon threads. There's a big enough backlog of old Japanese vidya, mango, and shows to make it worthwhile even if a certain chosen people start working their way into and ruining new jap things.

Touhou

How is Shikhondo? Looks like a pretty decent bullethell where you play cute grim reapers collecting rogue yokoi who don't want to accept their death.

I don't know how you managed to shoehorn him into this thread but I'll tell exactly what I think of Thom Yorke: He is the worst singer I have ever heard in my entire fucking life. Goddamn, that guy is such a jagoff, I want to whup his ass up and down the stage of his special snowflake pup tent that he brings to concerts; I doubt he'd put up much of a fight with his dainty little vegan muscles.

Jesus Christ how horrifying.

OP, you should get Garage: Bad Dream Adventure. Although I think there are no translations (that I know of), the game looks pretty surreal and scary.

Think about the name of his band, if that doesn't ring a bell, I'll just say ignorance is bliss