Spiderweb software

whats Holla Forums opinion on these spiderweb software rpgs, they look quite cool have anyone played these, also isometric rpg thread i guess

Geneforge is the best of Vogel's games by far.

are these games openworld, and are there towns, i really like exploring towns and stuff, towns are heart of rpgs

The world is somewhat similar to the original Fallout but more railroaded. Pirate geneforge 1 and see if you like that.

are planescape torment and icewind dale in same vein of these kind of games they look cool but all of these kind of isometric games i come across are quite dark and dystopian, why is that, not even a hint of cheeriness like that is in jrpgs

If you like exploring then Avernum is the best choice.

Thanks mang gonna download

Geneforge is good, I say this as someone who hates isometric RPGs. Avoid Avadon, it was made after he started sucking Bioware's dick and he threw all choice and consequence out the window. All you're left with is the meh combat that is inherent to isometric RPGs.

How faithful are the Avernum remakes? Because I played some of the redone escape from the pit and thought it was boring.

If you like complexity, don't go for the new Avernum. The original Exile 1 is a bit clunky, so maybe you'll enjoy the old avernum remake more, but exile 3 is god tier.

Exile is comfy and has some classic early 90's nostalgia for me. However, despite how it's been simplified, I loved Avernum 1-3 a ton. I feel like the later Avernum games that moved onto the non-tile Geneforge engine lost a lot of identity and doesn't feel like Avernum/Exile any more.

Not being a nigger, for starters.

Neither is that.

For your future needs.

Whoa I almost missed a Spiderweb Software thread. The Exile games are still Jeff's best. I still go back and replay them regularly. I hope he'll go back to designing those kind of massively open world games again someday. Seems like he makes worse and worse choices as the years go by now. Avadon actually forced you to click to move around without numpad support.

definitely play Geneforge, play avernum if you liked it, and don't touch the rest.

wait, but which one, theres 3 diff ones on gog and 1st one is like 6 games in 1? should i start from the complete saga?

I liked their game. Though the downside is that the prime mechanism that their series have are very similar with sometimes some small tweaks.
Geneforge series was enjoyable. It was repetitive if you start from part 1 and continue to part 5 with the same gameplay, but the story within the adventure kept me going.

Exile VS Avernum, which is the better way to play?

Exile

Exile, isometric a shit.

Personally I liked Avernum more, even though it was simplified, the mechanics were more refined. I wish it had the depth that Exile did.

That said, isometric is great for showing height between tiles, but needs so many specialized tiles its hard to use

Followup question: what's the path of least resistance to making the Exile games run on 64-bit W7

What happened in that picture?

Sculpting.

I use(d back when the game ran perfectly before they fucked everything up in Wine v1.6) Wine. Exile II and III at least run great in it. Or WinXP.

dosbox

They're Windows 3.1 games, not DOS.

windows 3.1 can run on dosbox