Vidya Conlangs

I really like constructed languages in videogames. Not just a cipher of english, or setting the font to winglings, but actual fully developed languages. Scam Yidizen has some languages.

In another thread, there was discussion about how a conlang for 8ch would be. There was the idea that it should sound harsh, and have an emphasis on hate, disgust and rage, to better reflect the culture. It was suggested that it should have some kind of barrier against newfags, mainly it having structures not present in English, like declensions, or various genders, like strong and weak masculine/femenine/neuter. A board for the discussion and development of it was made >>>/h8s/

Other urls found in this thread:

conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Hymmnos
warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Orokin_Language
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This both fascinates and gives me a headache OP

I wish people would get more creative, not every form of written language uses alphabets.

Hey /agdg/fags, if you want to put a language in your video game and don't want to be a complete faggot who calls Wingdings a language, feel free to use this language creation guide I made for /tg/.
I'm also accepting feedback on its readability and structure

Nier/Drakengard has its made up language which seems to be a mix of english, french and japanese. The guy actually though about a grammar and an alphabet.

I downloaded it and will read it later. I applaud your autism user, this look like impressive work.

I'm assuming he's a linguist, linguists have the 'tism hard.
t. linguist.

You're a nigger. Alphabets are one of the rarest types of writing systems.

I've had an idea of a mix between syllabary and alphabet, in wich some graphemes would represent a sound and others two or three.

Reposting from /h8s/

When beginning a project as large as a conlang, it is important to set out your goals before hand, especially if it is a group/crowd activity.
Before we continue discussing specifics, we need to establish and preserve our goals and intentions for H8Speech at a high level. There have already been several disagreements about specifics that stem from a disagreement about what our general goal are/should be.
This thread is for discussing and coming to a general agreement on what those goals should be.

I have identified the topics below as ones needing discussion. I think we should hold off discussing any more specifics until we have at least these sorted out, but there may be more we need to discuss.

B-but that's my point, it's why I don't like how many conlangs use alphabets

I think the ultimate fictional language from videogames has to be Hymmnos.

conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Hymmnos

those are my favorite pokémon

But can Pokemon speak in file compression?

Too bad Gust pretty much gave up on that universe.

Warframe has multiple languages in it for each faction(Grineer, Corpus, Orokin)
Looks pretty neat too.
warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Orokin_Language

I never played past the first one. I heard they got more and more fanservicey, which is painful to think about because the first one was already cringy in that regard.

I am working on making a couple of languages for my own fantasy world, and I'm doing it as I go so the language grows organically instead of being artificially constructed, which I think creates this artificial feeling that real languages just don't have.
It does have an alphabet for base sounds, but not each language has each sound, and there are also shorthand "kanji" characters that represent characters, like mountain . Mountai, phonetically, is vhon in one language, done in three characters with an accent on the v and the h characters to represent the vowel character that follows (or doesn't follow in the case of v which is more like breath, not a proper glottal stop), but it can also be drawn as a more complicated character that looks kind of like W and an M superimposed over one another.
Since the languages are not wholly required for understanding (but which offer deeper understanding if you bother to read it and understand it yourself) they aren't so deep you need a linguistics degree to understand them, so they might be considered "casual" in that sense, but they will offer someone who likes puzzles an world-building a comfy feeling (I hope).

I thought Warframe languages were just substitutions though?

The modern world uses alphabets. There are thousands of lost languages that never had a written system, even within recent history. There are the native american and australian aboriginal tribal tongues that have no written script and which died or are dying out and without even a single word ever written down. In fact, IIRC, there is one central american language that is going to die soon and the last two people that speak it refuse to talk to each other because they come from a small community and they hate each other's guts.
That's not to mention all the old languages that do have written scripts but we have no idea what they sounded like.

If their people are too dumb to even create bastard latin script then the language deserves to die, along with whatever way of life these people lead, clearly they are a failed society and their existence is offering nothing to humankind at large.

Then I guess it's their problem that they failed to pass on their language to their descendants.

Only a matter of time.

slovborg plz

Enthusiast linguist, but yes.
And to really drive home the austim, my professional interest isComputer science and engineering.

Yeah. Grineer is English with a different (randomly generated) lexicon, Corpus and Orokin are ciphered English.

Threadly reminder that most games are vastly outclassed by even Halo in this department; The Elite's language has very distinctive phonology, its own lexicon, and they even bothered to change the grammar a little bit.

user, he's mostly talking about people who hadn't had contact with written languages yet.
The Indo-Europeans had no writing system, I think you would rather they hadn't died out.

You might be a bit retarded. Also, I never said anything about creating a script, At least the Greeks and Romans were smart enough to adopt a foreign script and then changed it to suit their own language. Tribeniggers are too dumb to do even that.

Indo-europeans had no script until well after they stopped speaking a common language and having a common culture. (Linear A, the earliest script to arise in an indo-european descendant culture, doesn't appear until right after PIE is estimated to have stopped being a unified language, and is limited to the speakers of Proto-Hellenic, all the other ancestors of PIE getting their earliest scripts at least centuries later.)

So PIE had no script at a time when literally nobody else did? What a shocker.

Hieroglyphs appeared in 3200BC, Cuniform in 3400BC.
Besides, no l my point was most of the "thousands of lost languages" the other user was taking about were in the same situation.