Hello, my name is Populous/ RTS developers SUCK

I am a game from 1998, which puts 99% of RTS "developers" to shame, by proving how easy Micromanagment can be.

The shitty RTS developers neglected to learn from my example and make my solution to micro industry standard, the same way they neglected to make Flowfield Pathfinding from Supreme Commander an Industry Standard.

They are arrogant people, who probably never played me and other games, because they think they know better. They don't want to build on me and innovate and imporve. They think they can just make another Age of Empires 2 or Stracraft 2 with lootboxes and Esports-focus, because their corporate masters told them to.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/222730/Reus/
popre.net/downloads.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So how does it make micro easier without losing control.

a bait thread? on MY Holla Forums?

You totally needed to post that both in the RTS thread and as its own thread you dumb gay faggot.

what solution? making all units retarded forcing you to use the single hero unit?

hi dead genre, back you go. take the hipsters parading your corpse around with you

Hello. I work like that.

In the tab in the OP you can see how it works. Every single one of my unit types is sorted by category. Workers, Priests, Soldiers, Firewarriors, etc
Then they are also sorted by their activity: Idle, housed, busy, in a baloon/boat or selected.
Then you can also make it so that you only see units which are in your field of view or global.
You can also click those buttons with a single mouseclick, strg or shift to either add a single unit, 5 units or ALL units of that type to the selection.

That makes me super fucking easy to play and micromanagement is actually very enjoyable and easy as fuck.

Why haven't you innovated on top of what I already gave you? Why haven't you learn from what you have been given? I am almost fucking 20 years old.

I wouldn't be dead, if there was a single good developer among this rut with the authority to make a good fucking game.

maybe if you bought the fucking games you hipster faggot

My nigger. I played that game competitively on the official online matchmaking for quite a while, met some cool dudes there.

Doesn't work like that, faggot.
You should make a good game, then I might buy it.

When I was a kid I had to bought multiple CDs of the same game, because I always fucked them up. I bought Warcraft 3, Black and White 2, Battle for Middle-Earth multiple times.

You make a good game for once you faggot. If you want to make a good RTS, you actually had to have played RTS and not just be a SJW dick-sucking faggot with connections and a degree.

Does it still have a scene? I am thinking of trying it out again.

Oh man, modern games suck so much. This would never be implemented, because even if you could do that technologically with the "must-have" 4k graphics, it would be shot down by esports-balance fags, because it could be exploited or something.

Any good competitive videos floating around out there?

the genres I like are still alive

I play good games and find new ones all the time, if you can't you might have a problem

What games do you like? Start naming them.

Name me a single RTS game, which:

And also adds to them and is innovative in its own right.

a simple game from 1998, which had

Or alternatively disregards that, but invents new Subgenres like the Godgame genre for example.

God damn, user. I am so excited to play all these games. :)

How about you stop making threads where you rp as whatever game you want to talk about? You're not being funny or cute; you're just being annoying.

Well at least you can't honestly tell me that I am shilling for a game that is just 4 years younger than myself..

there are a few vids out there, not enough though

Yeah you can still play pickup games www.popre.net it has the match maker and a striped down MP version of the game. Looks like they still do leagues and tournaments, and there are several clans. I suggest playing the SP campaign before getting into matchmaking though.

populous isn't an RTS you can't force it to be the standard when it isn't even the same genre. that's like saying RTT should follow endless legends example tbh

it's a real time strategy game

it's a god game

fuck off

I bet you also say that Total War istn't allowed to call itself a real time strategy game and also not a turn based strategy game either.

Then give me a fucking modern god game, mate. That's my favourite fucking genre.

Mate, I replay the campaign like every 2 years. I recently discovered there was an expansion pack btw.

What do you mean striped down MP version?

I understand your frustration OP but if you're surprised that a game from 1998 radically outdoes games from today, then you haven't been paying much attention to the state of the industry. Games have been steadily getting dumbed down since around the millennium. We're at a point where the level design in Wolfenstein 3D from 1992 has more complexity than the level design in Wolfesntein II: The Jew Colossus from 2017, and where Ultima 6 from 1990 is dizzyingly complex compared to any CRPG released in the last 17 years at least

total war is a real time tactic, the management element is turn based, while the actual fighting is live action

there really isn't any unless you're willing to count

store.steampowered.com/app/222730/Reus/

looks like they have a 14MB version that's just MP without the single player files
popre.net/downloads.php

Nice of you to remind me about the absymal state of my other favourite genre as well.
Godgames and the Stealthgenre … and people honestly tell me Dishonered is their favourite stealth game. That is the shitty state of this industry.

As I said. There are no God Games anymore. Fucking Peter Molyneux of all people still dominates that genre. I hate and love that man.

I meant whether they banned certain units or spells.

Well yeah you can limit spells/buildings in the mp game settings like always.

What is the Standard? I assume that the multiplayer community has established some common rules.

Usually turned off: boats/ballons/spy/priests(sometimes)/angel of death/swamp/mind control

I remembered something like that, when I looked into it a few years ago.
You still playing today?

Not currently, I play some online every year or two when I get the bug.

Honestly the only way you're getting a good god game or stealth game again is if you make it yourself fam.

I didn't come to this thread to get depressed user.

Most modern gamedevs suck. No idea why you're singling out RTS games, OP.

It kinda feels pointless to game nower days.
I totally would, if I was doing it for a youtube channel. Yes, I know that sounds faggy, but I already replayed it multiple times since my childhood.

Man, I would love to make a Series about how modern RTS suck and how older games did it much better and how for some reason people refuse to improve upon older games.

Not going to happen, bro.

Fuck, alright. Here is a game idea I am willing to give away for free:

I dreamed about stuff like that and in my dreams the church in my city was 10 times bigger than it was in real life, which allowed for the entire city to stay in there and hide from the monster.
When the monster attacked us, I was fleeing through the catacombs btw. It was fucking cool as fuck. No Zombies ofc, because that would be too cheap.

If you do that, then you can think about adding "survival" mechanics to the game in the sequel, but why be so overly abmbitious? Sell this radical new idea to investors first of all and preferably buy the Graphcis engine from a German Team like Crytek.

Anyway, I just gave away my best idea ever for free, so you can make a good game out of it.

But it will never happen, because devs rather have 4k resolution than physics or do the work of recreating an entire city into a game. :(

Because other games at least have the courtesy to have some sort of Industry Standard an add to it. Basic things like UI improvements or stuff like that.

For some reason RTS devs are … not doing it.

Remember that stage where your chief is locked away by the enemy faction and you had to rely on solely your units without the use of any powers to get him out, before time runs out and your chief is executed?
Remember that fucking volcano spell? God damn just talking about it makes me want to reinstall. Did the series ever get anything post a sequel?

Populous The Beginning is a really fun game but it's really shallow.

It had an expansion pack, which went under the radar and there really wasn't anything quite like it.

True, on the surface it might appear as kinda shallow, but if that is true, then modern games are not even a puddle.

Hell yeah, the campaign was tons of fun.

made a special thread for this

Pathing in supreme commander is fucking horrible. Are you retarded?

I just looked it up. I actually meant the sequel.
You are right, yeah yeah bla bla Supreme Commander 2 sucked.

But you can still learn from a game like that. Look it up.

Never played it.

All I remember is supreme commander 1 having incredibly awful UI and unit controls.

lots of people replied to my thread, it's the fastest growing thread on Holla Forums

It's fucking huge.

say hi to moot on your way back to cuckchan

Jews are trying to hide my idea in a sea of shitposting.

mods are dumb niggers for letting this thread and the other this faggot made up
who here wants to gas the mods?

fuck off antifreespeech faggot

They just stopped putting effort into gameplay at some point and instead redirected all of that to art and marketing.
It's baffling how so many people can miss the point of a certain medium. It's as if 99% of the publishing industry suddenly started spending a year to find the perfect cover art for their books and a week to hammer out each novel.

RTS is dead, along with half the genres that ever existed.
Just let it rest in peace. The only thing you'd get these days is abominations like DoWIII

You thread police should consider swallowing broken glass. Absolutely pathetic skidmark on humanity.

Hello oldfag.
The answer is, stop playing games because everything is a guaranteed disappointment. They are designed for the mentally stunted casual player with money to throw away and a 2 second attention span.

Well no shit, even kiddy-platformers like Crash Bandicoot which received a HD-remake this year is challenging (and way more complex in how to solve puzzles than it's modern comparasions).

And let's not forget how they talk about cinematic experiences, but still hasn't been able to pull off the amount of experience either Deus Ex or Silent Hill 2 has pulled off. Where, whatever you do, whatever you want to do, you subtly change the storypath that you take. It's not choose A or B, but rather, do shit and face the consequences.

No games has that today.

Any Populous fan better take note of Sacrifice, another RTS where you control an almost god-like Wizard who can fuck with the battlefield like none other.

Don't forget muh ethics and muh sexual objectification in modern gayming, A ton of old games have female characters running around in VERY revealing and boner inducing skimpy outfits than what they've made these days aside from lara croft that is

This. Sacrifice was the toppest of tiers.

That's because women got into gaming.
And if you know what breast envy is, then you know why we can't have that anymore.

The Japs don't have a problem with it though, their women rarely complain about it, aside from the very vocal feminists and their liberal gaijin allies living there.

will you cuddle with me, populous

My experience has been that flat chested girls always want huge tits, while the girls with huge tits always complain about how annoying and in the way they are and want them smaller or gone. It's just women being jealous of others no matter what they have to work with.

Company of Heroes 1 and 2 does exactly this, though? In fact, don't most RTS games?

Ehhh…. not really.
Take FPSes for instance. Doom has an automap, which was helpful and arguably necessary for a lot of its levels because frankly a good portion of them were shit. Yet automaps just fucking went away after DN3D, which had great levels by the way, and nobody gave a shit about them ever again. At first this seemed to be because level design was improving and in my opinion peaked with Quake, but then there were several FPSes which came out in the next 8 or so years which had stupid fucking level design and no map to support it. Then Call of Duty came around and said, "I know! We'll just mak setpieces like in Half-Life and only do that. For the whole level. In a hallway." FPSes are games that depend entirely on level design and all it has done is regress.

Asians are less individualistic in general and more keen to simply accept their lot in life. Just take a look at Confucianism. Japs like to think they are superior but they have this in common with the lesser Asians.

Doo doo
Pee pee
new games are bad

Hello underage faggot. Populous is not an RTS, and the 1998 game is a bastardization of the originals.

OP just landed in from >>>/reddit/

If that's the case, then the Jap's history would've mirrored the chinks to a tee.
Shintoism is their main religion, Buddhism comes second. Not sure about Concucianism in Japan though, but they're not that widely practiced, as far as I know.

I mean the attitude, not the religion. The philosophy behind Confucianism is why Asians are frequently called "insect people" on this board.