RPG Maker

So this thing is heavily discounted at the moment. Is it worth getting? Have there been any decent RPG maker games? Have any been successful?

Get an actual engine, seeing all that low effort shit literally using default RPGM assets on Steam makes me want to kill myself.

Its fun to dick around with. There have been decent ones from what I've seen. To The Moon was fairly successful. It is a route into amateur gamedev, but as pointed out it is easy to make low effort retarded shit so please don't do that.

I'm surprised that's even allowed.

Cool, I'm more of an artist by trade but have had ideas for psychological horror games for a while. Still, can't code to save my life and every time I try to learn I get horribly stuck. I figured this might be a nice alternative

Not a financial success, but Yume Nikki.

Then you might want to try GameMaker instead.

You underestimate just how bad at learning the various coding languages I am. The logic and math involved just don't stick with me. I get pretty jelous of the anons in the /AGDG/.

There's a share link for it in the rpgmaker game thread. You can buy it if you want but personally I think MV actually loses the charm that earlier versions have in their presentation: If you want to make an "rpgmaker" game I'd say stick to VX or even 2003 like the nips do. If you want to make a "real" game, don't use rpgmaker.

There are already a few games in the rpgmaker horror subgenre, so it might be worth a shot for your idea since people have already shown they like that sort of thing.

Don't feel bad, coding is difficult for some people, just like art is for others.

Best advice I can give you is to work at it like you would a recipe. What do you want? A cake. How do you get a cake? You bake a bunch of ingredients in an oven. What ingredients? Repeat until you're down to raising chickens and growing grain for eggs and wheat, or if you're working with a game engine, just buying some eggs and flour.

Same with code. Start with what your goal is, then break it up into steps you have to do until you're down to something you can do. If you get stuck, research your tools.

Don't start with making a 15 layer wedding cake along with an 8 course meal as well. Just bake some cookies or muffins.

Those games have been on my backlog forever.

Does it lose functionality? Might go with one of those other ones if it doesn't add all that much.

That's the thing that makes me so salty, at one point I spent a month doing GML tutorials, then figured I'd try to code something super simple. I tried putting together a VN script but when I sat down and actually tried to type something I drew a complete blank. I didn't even know where to start or how to fit it all together even after I had studied and taken notes. It really is like learning another language, and sadly no tutorial I've followed thus far has helped to make it stick with me.

It's a limited game engine that you can fiddle with default assets, but you'll be fucked with the limitations put on by the nips, so no, pirate it before you even fucking think of buying it.

MV has things like built-in mouse support and uses javascript, so adding pre-built extensions is easier than adding ruby scripts. It really depends what you're going for, since that stuff might not really be useful to you. I'd like to point to an example of a good game that actually uses MV's functionality but I don't think there are any, which might say something about MV.

If there's a similar game to what you want to do, check out the version they did it on and think about whether or not you'll use the scripting systems that VX and MV have.

/agdg/ here. Don't give up, you faggot. I tried to learn to code on four or so separate occasions over about five years before it stuck and I actually understood it. You're going to learn, and you're going to just like make game.
Do you have GameMaker installed right now?
You mean a visual novel with branching dialogue and the like? How to build that wouldn't necessarily be immediately obvious to someone who just learned the basics of how to program, and the best way to do it might be specific to whatever project you want to work on. Fortunately, if you've ever had a question about how to make something in a programming language, unless you're on the absolute cutting edge, which you're not, it's guaranteed that someone else had that question before you. You can always google "[type of system you need] [language]," and see how other people have solved the problem. From there, you can figure out how to build your own method.

A huge portion of programming is just spending time thinking "How the fuck am I supposed to build a system that does X," rather than actually building that system. Don't expect that the answer will just come to you immediately, and don't hate yourself just because you can't figure something out yet. Many anons report that they actually don't solve their problems in front of their computer while thinking about the problem, but while doing mundane tasks, like taking a shower, mowing the lawn, or cooking.
It sounds like you haven't had to build something yourself outside of a tutorial yet, or don't understand the ideas in relation to each other. Much like learning a spoken language, at some point, rather than simply repeating sample sentences, you have to understand the components to a degree that you can make new sentences out of them. Have you done like anons recommend, and recreated simple classic games, like Pong, Asteroids, or Mario yet? Doing so is invaluable to getting yourself off the ground, since you have clear, simple goals, but no tutorial to follow.

How would you know the amount of effort?
You do realize no everyone has money to pay artists?

I think I'll take and your advice and just stick with VX and 03 for now then. Especially seeing as the thread has got me back to considering learning code.

I programmed asteroid and pacman, but only with tutorials. Never really thought of taking off the training wheels and doing it myself. After I'd follow some tutorials I'd often just try to jump in and do my own thing. So how would you recommend I start now, any particular resources that will get me a solid foundational knowledge, and how should I go about recreating those games? Should I get the idea of what those old games do the search how to make those functions happen until I know how it fits together?

I know that most modern computers have some sort of tool capable of producing pixel art right out of the install, and I know all have easy access to those. I know that it takes effort to learn to make art that doesn't look like shit. I know that no matter who you are it is possible to use something other than default art if you are trying to sell a game.

Now leave with your low effort bait.

And that thing would be less have adopted it because it has only been around since 2015, as opposed to VX Ace which was released in 2011.

Decent? Violated Heroine. Very indecent content and free to play, albeit unfinished.

If you want to make a Visual Novel, then you want Ren'Py, not RPG Maker.

There have been commercial successful games made with RPGMaker, but ironically most of them haven't been RPG's.

Good. You're already into the territory that I only reached when I finally started figuring it out. However, make sure you understand why you're doing the things tutorials told you to do. Do you understand how things like operators and conditional statements work?
You have to. Everything you learn is for nothing unless you can also learn to do it on your own.
Shaun Spalding has excellent bare bones GameMaker tutorials on YouTube, and assumes that you know nothing. I recommend that you look through them and watch any series that piques your interest. They're very simple, and won't help you make things of any great magnitude, but you don't need complex tutorials yet. They're the building blocks that will get you to a point where you're able to understand tutorials that will help you build anything of great size. Vid related is an example. GameMaker's forums have loads of useful tutorials and discussions on them, but I don't recommend specifically going there to read through all them. Better to google a concept that you need to understand, and then click on results from it. Same goes for the GameMaker subreddit.
Since you don't have a tutorial specific for the game you want to recreate, you're instead going to have to think about what that game actually is and does. Anyone can describe the logic and rules of a game in abstract terms, whether or not they know how to code. Your goal is to de-abstract those rules, and figure out how to make the computer do it, like so:
Step One just requires you to describe the game logic in English, which you're normally thinking in. Step Two requires you to understand how the computer would think about the problem. Step Three is the specific way that it would be implemented in the language you're working in, which requires you to understand that language.

In the event you can't figure out how to make the jump to Step Two, you then need to google for examples of how other people have handled the problem, like I mentioned in my previous post. You can usually just google "[type of system you need] [engine/language you're using]." In the event you don't know how to make the jump to Step Three, you need to hit F1 and look through the help docs for concepts related to the operation you're trying to make happen, and read about the functions available. This will become easier and easier as you become more familiar with the concepts, and more often know exactly what it is you're searching for. You'll spend less time searching as you learn what tools you have available to you, since you can treat them as tools, rather than having to research what tools you even have. GM's help docs are mostly very well written. If you don't know exactly what you're searching for, you can often describe what kind of operation you want to do in google, and get useful results. Don't be intimidated by how much stuff there is in the GM help docs. Loads of it, you'll never use. Remember that middle-clicking a function or variable in GM will automatically open the help docs to the correct page for it.

So now, your job should be to describe the rules of a simple game, break down each of those rules into logic, and then implement them in code. You do this with an existing game first because you already know what the end goal is, and what's considered correct, because it's something familiar. You aren't designing a game, you're only programming one. When you go to make your own game, it will be the same process, but you'll also be the one who designs the game, thereby defining the end goal of this process. Then, you describe the rules of your own game that you designed, break them down into logic, and program them with the language you know. Then you will have made game.

That's true. I might be a bit biased against MV since the first game I played that used it was the awful Trump one in that rpgmaker game jam.

Awesome, I appreciate all the help went ahead and screencapped the post for future reference. I'll get to work on relearning the basics later today. Thanks again.

isn't that shit according to everyone?

Just realize you're buying a very inflexible engine designed for braindead ideaguys who all want to make exactly the same video game over and over with different characters. If you want to make anything even slightly different from what the RPG Maker developers intended, good fucking luck. MV is a bad webgame engine with awful performance and "desktop clients" that are actually just standalone web browsers bundled with the game. You'll either need experience with javascript (a bloated language pushed by webdev shitters) or a shitton of crappy plugins to do basic shit, and after a while you either develop stockholm syndrome for it or realize a regular game engine is less work.
t. someone who finished a clusterfuck in RPG Maker MV last month and hated every second of working with it

Sure thing.

Not exactly, but that does bring up good points that I should have mentioned earlier. It does have significant limitations, such as costing money, having platform DLC, and using a language that's not useful anywhere else. It's not recommended that anyone stays on it long-term if they want to make games of significant scale, but it is useful for small-scale games and rapid prototyping. At his stage, he's not going to need more than that. I'm in the process of moving on from it myself.

I recommended it because I found it to be a very easy environment to learn the fundamentals of programming in and see results quickly. Considering what it is he's having trouble with, and that as he's already familiar with GM/GML, I figure it's best that he goes about what I described in the environment and language that he already knows, rather than starting from scratch yet again. Once he's established competence, rather than getting comfortable, he should move on from it as soon as he feels that he can benefit from doing so. The concepts will transfer to whatever engine he learns next, even if the language doesn't. The best tool for the job is the one that gets the job done. For what he needs at the moment, that tool is probably GM.

Last RPGmaker thread we had I was recommended Wadanohara, Mogeko Castle, and Pocket Mirror. Wada was entertaining, but could stand to be much much more difficult. Pocket Mirror was fun, but unskipable cutscenes right before life/death choices is shit. Then they're still unskippable in NG+, and when you spend charms to unlock bonus stuff, you can rewatch those scenes, but you still can't exit early. All this repetition in addition to non-cutscene stuff that's heavily repeated and slow, and I don't really feel any motivation to go through two more times to get the full good and full bad endings.

Mogeko Castle was pointless shit. Fuck Mogeko Castle.

RPG Maker was a mistake.

>>>/hgg/

I got gifted MV and it's pretty fun, easy enough to use, one legend made over 150 plug ins for free commercial use which offer so much functionality to the base engine it's a wonder why he himself isn't the dev.
Also though seeing these free additions that you can just have it makes seeing the standard quality of games pretty wack.
Vid related is me learning how to use a dynamic camera, I want to make a quick and simple Dragon Warrior style thing then from there potentially make a game I'd love and hand it out for free somewhere.

Thank you. I'm so fucking lost with coding and don't even own a laptop again yet.

I want to make my own games so fucking badly, I don't care about any money. Ever.

What are some good "so bad it's good" RPG Maker games?

It was possible in the past to make a couple million selling RPG Maker games as a publisher. Not sure if that is true today. You can focus on more erotic content. They tend to sell better. I'd also recommend distancing yourself from typical fantasy tropes and storylines unless your goal is to make fun of them in a KonaSuba sort of way. Give the player someone interesting to play as.

I managed to make this awhile back.
Unfortunately its not finished, but it's a neat idea.

I really like seeing the characters in first person perspective, like in Phantasy star 4 and the like.
I love that more then I should

I was going to make a medieval clone of Republic Commandos.
No pun intended.

ded