PICK YOUR POISON: WHICH IS THE BEST SURVIVAL HORROR JRPG - PARASITE EVE OR KOUDELKA

PICK YOUR POISON: WHICH IS THE BEST SURVIVAL HORROR JRPG - PARASITE EVE OR KOUDELKA

Two games enter, one game leaves. Only one can be Holla Forums's darling genremutt but which is it!

Which one has that gameplay, tone, music and characters that tickle your pickle and activate your almonds just right?

CHOOSE OR PERISH!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koudelka
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

parasite eve is better than koudelka but shadow hearts is better as a series overall

Parasite eve got a alright sequel with PE2 and a less alright sequel with third birthday.
Kouldelka birthed Shadow Hearts 1 and 2, which were great, and from the new world which was just okay.
Based on that alone Koudelka wins Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 in particular were some of my favorite ps2 rpgs.
Taken in isolation however I would have to choose Parasite eve. The atmosphere was great overall, the monster designs really felt like primal monsters. The story was pretty decent, with good character interactions, as well as the pacing of the whole game, even if short, was executed well. The battle system was somewhat fresh feeling and fun. It had problems with weapons and armor feeling rather samey, and a high encounter rate however and some of the difficulty could have been tuned better, higher in some cases and lower in others. But overall between two good games I would have to pick Parasite Eve when discounting the rest of their respective series.

Disregarding everything that follows these games in their respective series, I'd have to give it to PE for its soundtrack alone.

RULE OF ROSE

Kouldeka was made by Sacnoth you stupid nigger.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koudelka

Koudelka. Tried replaying PE recently and it's kind of trash.

Sacnoth is the developer and SNK is the Japan publisher, also going with Koudelka, goddamn the voice acting there was topnotch and the spooky gothic aesthetics.

nani?!?

Probably the printing company forgot the actual developers' logo or such, it happens a lot back then. And they were kinda a new studio.

I don't know if it counts to most but I think System Shock 2 really caught the vibe of survival horror best for my first play through.
Might get Resident Evil 0 on steam. Seems cool.

D

Was the best besides the classics like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis and Alone in the Dark. D was fucking frightening to me as a kid.

thanks for the tip guys
gonna try this games another time

Reading about the history of D series is pretty crazy. Off the top of my head, I remember reading somewhere that the main developer ran into trouble with the censors when trying to ship D2, so the madman gave the edited version to them but shipped the original one to the world. Also, I think the series had one protagonist even if the games werent linked story-wise. It was a sort of virtual actor that moved between these games and always had a different role and personality as a protagonist.

I remember reading about that years ago. Wasn't it about a scene where a tentacle mouth rapes a woman?

Yeah that, and there was some nudity. I think those points were actually the least of D2's problems, since the story is all sorts of fucked up and has this weird uncanny valley feeling to it, the same kind of feeling I got from Drakengard.

I think that story is about the original D. The censored copy sent had the cannibalism scene cut out.
Another fun story is that D2 was originally planned for the scrapped successor to the 3DO, then redesigned for the Dreamcast. Kenji Eno just couldn't catch a break. He's also dead.

RIP in pieces, the would-be madman.

I've played neither of these games, so I'm gonna go ahead and say that parasite eve is better because the MC is an Aryan qt.

My first vidya fap.
Aya will always have a special place in my heart.

You're conflating D and D2. D was where Eno himself snuck in the uncensored version to retailers; D2 got censored outside of Japan. Warp couldn't do anything about that since they were already out of business.

The best Eno stories have to be where he decked a Sony employee who lied about the amount of units of D they shipped to Japanese retailers, and when he held a press conference for Sony executives just to tell them he would be developing games exclusively for Sega.

Kenji was already a contemporary madman with Kojima by the late 90s.

To this day, I never understood what the fuck parasite eve is about. All I know is that I'm a cop and suddenly a rat monster appear

More games should have interesting mechanics like this game. Controlling 3 characters to solve the problem was neat.

Resident Evil 4 was the best survival horror of all time because Leon was a fucking badass, Heather was a hot slut, and there were tons of guns and none of those really gay puzzles like in Silent Hill.

Holy shit.

Am I the only faggot who enjoyed playing Parasite Eve 2 because I could fireball enemies in the face?

It's about mitochondria exploding.
It was also a book first.

D?
As in the?

I downloaded D now, It better be good OP or im fuggin you in your tight man ass.

Novel:
Game:
sequel never intended to happen after the twist ending
3rd birthday

no other series got so bad so fast.

-though something also worth mentioning is right when SE decided to turn it into a franchise they lost the rights to the novel and thats why its called 3rd birthday instead of parasite eve.

So is 2 the only one worth playing or should I play them all?

no. 1 is a treasure. it is a pre rendered background style horror jrpg where battles use the atb and you dodge attacks with mild bullet hell elements like nier and use guns or spells to take on monsters. Its super unique and you can see it was the test to see if systems from 7 and vagrant story would work.
PE2 is just an RE clone with magic like the psi abilities from galerians. its okay but its a clone, PE1 is totally unique and its a shame SE lost the rights because a remake would be fantastic.