Games that aren't as great as their predecessors

Entries in vidya series/franchises that you found disappointing when compared to their superior predecessors. They could be downright fucking embarrassments like Sonic 06. Or, they could even be games that you still enjoyed, but felt fell short of the greatness of the series' previous entries.

I still liked Metroid Prime 2, but not as much as Metroid Prime 1 or Super Metroid.

that's pretty much every single game that's not the original in its series, user
what were you thinking?

Nier Automata and Drakenguard 3. I enjoyed them both, but they didn't have the same magic as their parent games.

Age of Empires 3. Imho one of the most prominent examples of the old proverb "Don't change a working machine". All the fans wanted was AoE 2 with post-medieval civs, and they suddenly mess up the entire gameplay (not limited to, but including that stupid card system).

Starcraft 2 to Starcraft 1.
Warcraft 3 to Warcraft 2.
Diablo 2 to Diablo 1.
Every Legend of Zelda past LttP.
Fire Emblem 6 to Fire Emblem 7 (7 is the prequel to 6 but made after the fact)

Basically this

> Nier: Automata < Nier 1
That's kinda surprising, actually. Given how so many horny anons here want to fuck 2B, I assumed the general reception was that Automata was the better game.

I'm actually disgusted by this post.
Good luck with this shit thread OP, you're a gigantic faggot

that's because the appeal of the games are not due to the sex appeal. 2B being sexy is just a Cherry on top of a sundae. The original game is a more compelling story and Papa Nier is a lovably odd character only due to how much he cares about his daughter.

Also, Earth 2160 was a fucking catastrophe after the three Earth 2150 titles. And the primary reason why the franchise has been kill to this day.

I personally thought the Home City idea was interesting.

Automata is the better game as far as gameplay because it's refined NieR with the Platinum spin. As far as story goes, the original is better in a lot of places.

Was Warcraft 2 that much better? Other than having a good campaign, WC3 is/was pretty much all about the crazy custom map fun bonanza IMO.
what

With all the nonstop adoration for Automata and 2B you see here on Holla Forums lately, you don't really see as many anons praising Nier 1 as much as they do Automata. So the general impression I got from here was that you guys apparently liked it more than the first game.

A thread for sequels that were actually better than their predecessors would probably be better tbqh

Custom maps were nice but I don't include them when judging a game or else I'd include modding communities and shit as well.
If you want to also take that route, Warcraft 3 also led to the cancer we have today by creating the moba genre even if it was fun back in the day.
Anyways Warcraft 3 was good, I just feel Warcraft 2 was better in too many regards.
The main thing Warcraft 3 did better over 2 was the addition of more races, and more unique mechanics added to the races to make them feel special. Problem is some of the ways they did so felt cheap and shit overall.
Jesus christ kill me now
The main problem I had with the game was
Diablo 2 was an SotN to Diablo 1's perfected Classicvania I suppose its more a "difference" than it being superior. Me considering it superior is half my opinion and half the changes they made really turned me off it.
Also the bosses felt like fucking shit compared to the first one, and the world was absolutely dry as well. Enemy variety was… okay but some of them felt like going through a grinder, and in Diablo 2 it just becomes tedious rather than fun like in Diablo 1.

Every post I see from you makes my opinion of you drop even further
You sicken me with your presence.
Nier has been discussed time and again, it comes up occasionally, but no fucking shit Automata would be getting the majority of praise as of recently. You don't expect nothing but Demon Souls praise in a Dark Souls thread do you?

Yeah, perhaps it would be. You can go and create that thread if you want to. I personally just finished up Metroid Prime 2 a short while ago. I had this mild feeling of disappointment for the past 2 hours or so. I knew it was because in the back of my mind, I felt like I kept comparing it to Prime 1 as I played my way through it.

Made this thread if anyone else ever felt that way. Games that left you disappointed because their predecessors were better.

Actually

Star Control 2
Ultima 6 & 7

I did enjoy Diablo 1 more than 2 for the reasons you mentioned, but in terms of autism, character builds and all that meat D2 wins with flying colors. I don't think the soundtrack is better or worse, it's sure different though, way more ambiental and demonic as you descend deeper into the dungeons of hell.

Holy shit this newfag. It's true that plenty of anons first Yoko game was Automata and thus they don't actually have an opinion on Nier OG. Anyone who has played both considers Nier to be far and above a much better story and game even if the game play in isolation is better in Automata. Character personalities and overarching plot suffer, especially in how they relate to said game play.
this is also why most user's who played OG first worry that Yoko is going to keep writing shittier and shittier stories like Automata rather then his Nier or Drakengard 1 work.
And rightfully so now that execs smell money

iirc, didn't Automata get (((localized))) even in the japanese subs for the audio? (not even getting into the english script/VAs)

I don't remember much bitching about Automata translation issues, while I doubt there weren't any none come to mind.

The story in 1 is better while the gameplay in Automata is generally better than 1's with some hang ups. Objectively speaking the gameplay and combat is better and more refined in Automata than in Nier 1, but it is absolutely standard and safe Platinum combat which is both a good and bad thing. The good thing is that even stale Platinum combat is better than a straight up bad combat system that Automata could have gotten otherwise, though this is not saying that Nier 1's combat was bad per se. Depending on an user's specific taste and how forgiving they are you will hear opinions ranging from statements that the combat of 1 was bad to bearable to mediocre to alright. The bad thing about Automata's Platinum combat is that it is completely standard and does nothing to innovate or add to the formula. So if you are into CUHRAYZEE or a Platinumfag, then Automata will leave you disappointed. Automata is definitely still a Yoko Taro game with Platinum elements rather than the other way around. In addition the difficulty in Automata besides maybe the prologue area never really challenges you like a proper CUHRAYZEE game even on the harder difficulty settings and the enemy variety is also lacking, though both of these problems are also present in 1 as well. The "magic" that I was talking about in my first post is how the story was presented to the player. Nier 1 introduced itself by tricking the player into thinking it was a completely standard game with the traditional save your family member story before sending you on a wild ride with the ending and subsequent playthroughs, but with Automata it never made an attempt to pull the wool over your eyes so it took a lot of the punch out of the big twists and reveals in it since you were already expecting something wild to happen. Some of this was unavoidable since Yoko Taro became a lot more well known during this so unless you completely cut yourself off from Automata news you would have passively absorbed the fact that Yoko Taro games came with crazy storylines even if Automata would have been your first Nier/Drakenguard/Drag-On Dragoon game. Onto the music, I still find Nier 1's music and its arrangements to be superior to Automata's score, but I have nothing negative to say about Automata's score and still greatly enjoy it.

Overall all if you are a fan of Yoko Taro's previous games from the Drakenguard series then I definitely recommend playing Automata through its five core endings. But if you are a Platinumfag or are looking to appease your CUHRAYZEE fix then Automata unfortunately might not be for you then. It also comes with the issue of DRM on the PC release and a shitty PC port that has yet to be addressed and will likely never be.

I don't remember encountering anything too egregious besides some awkward tonal differences in the Jap audio and translated subs. You will have to find another user more well versed in Japanese though for a better assessment.

I've become so jaded over other beloved games getting completely butchered that Nier/Drakenguard's future fate no longer bothers me that much. After what happened to Parasite Eve I've learned to at least appreciate the good games that were made than worry to much about the failures.

Unrelated but was this timeline ever updated again? Or is it still the most current version over Drakenguard material?

Wasn't Drakengard 2 supposed to be the weakest entry? I thought 3 was considered pretty good as far as the series goes.

I had already heard a lot about Drakenguard and Nier 1 before I played them so I already knew about 2's shortcomings and the fact that Yoko Taro was not the director for that game also prepared me for it. But I let myself become slighty overhyped for both Drakenguard 3 and Automata though so those two games disappointed me more than Drakenguard 2 did.

Plenty of people consider Drakengard 2 to not exist since Yoko didn't do the writing, it takes place in the same world but according to the best timeline we have here it's considered it's own isolated incident that no one really cares or talks about.

Prime 1 is the only good one and its fucking terrible they are making Prime 4 instead of making a third person Metroid with deliberate combat and exploration like Dark Souls

This

The example you gave is shit OP cause that's one of the few series where the second actually held its own against the original

This game is a pale joke compared to its predecessor.

lol wrong. Almost all of the best games of all time are sequels or iterations of a previous entry.

Metal Slug 4 is a horrible Frankensteinian ROMhack of previous Metal Slug games with very frustrating original level design.

Then you hit Act V with its battle orchestra, but even that knows when to go ambient such as in the ice caves. It's not that the game has worse music, it's that Diablo II has a lot more variable mood than slow exploration through dark underground areas. It is understandably not everyone's cup of tea though.

Came here to post automata. I was looking forward to top tier bantz and heartfelt emotions again and all I got were bland stereotypes loudly setting up ebin twists.

Halo was never great, shit eater.

That fucking moment scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it, and it certainly made me jump out of my fucking seat just now as I scrolled down.Thanks for the gray hairs.

Anyway, everything after Silent Hill 4 was a travesty. There are no excuses to be made for those games, since they completely ruined the mystique of the series by immediately trying to explain to the players what made Silent Hill scary. Why do you have to ruin everything good and original in the world?

Good point

BG2
Icewind Dale 2