Cathode Ray Tube Apreciation

After hours of adjusting geometry & RGB levels I finally have the perfect CRT. Anyone else love these things?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MM5k4B1C7cs
youtube.com/watch?v=MU29Wqg_BVo
imgur.com/a/jWO59
nano-proprietary.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Commodore 1702 Master Race Reporting!
CRTs have a lot of advantages over LCD panels but also a lot of disadvantages that still make modern LCDs a preferable primary display unless its older media

If you have enough you could make your room look like NASA. Was that a Europe only thing? We never really had a Commadore scene in the united states.

Everything you don't like is a meme, we get it. I for one apreciate outdated technology for what it is. Unfortunately they're getting too popular for their own good now that RGB mods are becoming more known. I'm tempted to do one myself if someone can guide me through it once.

1 post per day is not an active board. There's no rule against it.

End this meme.

i want hipsterfags to fuck off

True Black Levels
Effectively ZERO Input lag
Makes old games look more aesthetically pleasing
Last much longer than modern displays

Wow, the cuckchan subhuman rapefugee is a cunt, what a fucking surprise.

Are there modern CRTs and what's the cheapest one.

My really big CRT broke and the dude I sent it to to fix it broke it even more. Feels fucking bad man.

8ch had those filenames up until 147xxxxxxxx you fucking newfag.

That doesn't necessarily mean hes not a cuckchanner. Occam's Razor.

I'd really like to invest in a couple high end small CRTs and get a couple cheaper massive CRTs for party games. I'd like for CRT to be seen as a bad meme just like I'd like to see anything retro to be seen as a bad meme so that prices will drop. I think it's to my benefit if everyone decided to at least pretend that there's no reason to not give their high end obsolete technology to the thrift stores near me. The more it is talked about and popularized the worse off people who want it are.
But this does make me wonder, how difficult is it to manufacture cathode ray tubes? How difficult would it be to make a CRT television that is higher end than anything made before today?

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

cakejews fuck off.
nice set up and cute umaru

CRT monitors are objectively the best. To disagree is wrong, not an opinion.

Look around locally. I picked up my 32 trinitron for $25 at an estate sale.

I have and have yet to have luck with a good TV but I've gotten a fair bit of other AV equipment that way.

Does anyone else have sex with their CRT? I used a glass cutter to cut a penis sized hole in the center of the glass and applied clear silicone around the edges. Feels pretty fucking good

I mean it's not BAD, but I don't really like them. Is that one of those Eroge PCs on the left? The white box?

No, & no. I believe a single company in Japan still produces CRTs, but they ask literal thousands since they only serve production companies as a legacy service. Someone on halfchan /vr/ 3 or 4 years back tried to order one but I don't think anything came of it. You might still be able to get new oldstock of Ikegami tubes though.

That's fucking rough. Have you thought of getting a new one? 'Ifixretro" out of (jersey?), is modding old CRTs now for better picture. They could probably fix one if you're in their area. I don't know anyone else in the country servicing tube tvs anymore.

Laserdisc & vhs are seeing the same problem. People keep buying them just for the case art. They don't even play them.

Harder than the impossible project. CRTs weren't popular again until recently, so it's probably too late. The technology & factory equipment to reproduce them is either lost or too expensive to reproduce now. They were only ever "cheap" to make in the first place because dozens of factories were doing it.

youtube.com/watch?v=MM5k4B1C7cs

Proofs or fuck ofr

it's a stale pasta

Thrift stores and goodwills are picked clean before anything ever leaves the back these days. You will have better luck at garage sales or those locker auctions probably. I did pick up a nice sealed panasonic 13 inch on ebay for 45 shipped.

It is a PC-FX. It has some laser issues unless i lay it on its side. I am working on that though.

I'm in fucking Brazil.
I've considered getting a new one but I honestly have no practical purpose. I still have my SNES and Genesis but whenever I want to play SNES or Genesis games I just emulate.
You seem to know a little about the subject, so do you believe there's any chance of people making CRTs again now that there's some demand, like how some people are making record players for hipsters?

Now try plugging it in while you do it

That's like a different world. I'm not surprised you still have a CRT. They still make Master System games over there don't they?

Nope, I don't see that ever happening. The factories to maker them are gone, the technology is gone, & anyone that still knows the intricacies of the process are either dead or retired. It would be way, WAY too expensive to do. It was only ever commercially viable because it was the standard, so companies could charge people $350+ per TV to cover costs. You would be paying $1500 a piece for someone to make brand new TVs in this day & age. It's just not practical. What you're seeing now is people taking old consumer TVs & RGB modding them though. Regarding vinyl records, those only just barely didn't go extinct. Demand going up just barely met with the last few factories that were left. CRT production is just too far gone to salvage sadly.

Hopefully they go the way of old 78s and everyone just stops caring about them completely

Tell me about it. Maybe I should pick up a few shifts at a donation center in a ritzy area

Mexicans are destroying them way worse than donation stores. If they realize the TVs themselves are worth more than the $4.00 worth of copper inside them then the days of cheap CRTs are finished. Hopefully the wall goes up before they make that connection. Picture related.

Yes but I'm not a poorfag, I kept a CRT specifically to play old games. But I bet it would be easier for me to find a good CRT and someone to fix it than for someone in Europe or the US.
Yes but I have means to buy stuff from outside the country and I can also buy stuff here if needed. I honestly don't understand who buys these Master Systems. Favela monkeys buy PS2s or 360s (easy to pirate games on them) and I imagine anyone who's old enough to have played the master system when they were a kid would know about emulation.
Also, watch this, it's pretty interesting and explain our situation well: youtube.com/watch?v=MU29Wqg_BVo

Working with a bunch of people that are there because they can't get a better job or are serving probation opened my eyes. I made it through a month and a half as an assistant manager before I quit and found a real job. I found some pretty great loot there though. Anything I wanted I had someone price and put on the floor. Some times I was able to get it at lunch some times I missed out. Those people in the back were just straight up pocketing stuff for their ebay sales. I realize it is donations but if you don't let anything good get through to the store the place is going to disappear.

God damn mexicans and niggers man the grocer near me had no refrigerating a few years ago and when I asked why they said someone got on the roof and stole all the copper.

I've got mexicans in scrap trucks just piling up CRTs inside them. They drive around my neighborhood every day & basically just steal anything metal people are throwing away, CRTs included. Don't even get me started on how they ruined Garage Sales & flea markets. Mexicans are retro gaming's largest problem, right above the Chinese & their bootleg repro carts.

for TV use,,,, I think plasma looked better, but it cost too much and died too soon.I never had a plasma

the last "good" pc monitors I had was a couple higher-end Viewsonics some years back. They were only 21" or so but cost $350 each.

at first when LCDs came out I was bummed because I couldn't easily spend the money for one
then when the Viewsonics began to fade and LCDs got cheaper– I got my first LCD, I realized how lousy it was compared to the viewsonics and how the world was doomed

there is still places that sell CRT screens for replacement parts of industrial equipment that does not have LCD adapters
the cost is several hundred dollars for even a little 12" screen tho

CRTs just get old and the tubes fade with use. there's nothing you can do about that, and there's no way to fix it other than a new picture tube

There's certain things you can do, all of which can kill you due to the electricity involved.

WHY?

should i use CRTs for modern gayms?

I love my CRT TV, I love comfy retro gaming and I'm loving the boonies

You're wrong, and you're the newfag.

unless you have a very specific number of monitors, you shouldn't. CRTs are inherently just a little fuzzy and games these days are made for pixel perfect LCDs, even down to how the colors work. Why do you think pretty much every new game asks you to adjust the in-game brightness until the icons are barely visible? Compensation for LCDs, but all the assets are designed with this in mind so you have to put up with it.

To be honest It was probably when everything went on sale at circuit city or at the end of the 360's life. I know I have never played it on the 360 though.

its not a bad port, and if anything it's interesting to test your skills in an otherwise incredibly easy game with a worse input method. Game was a joke on the PC on the hardest difficulty, but on the 360 at even lower settings? It's a legitimate challenge.

I have a pretty big backlog on the 360. I think the last time I used my 360 was just before the phantom dust servers were shut down. I am sure I will get to it eventually but having played it on pc it is not a priority.

Are you me?

also post pictures of your CRTs in action

we learned nothing from 2010-2013, did we?

CRT's are great for arena FPS. 120+ Hz vs 60 Hz contributes a lot to the "how the fuck is this guy reacting this quickly before I do" experience.

plenty of late run CRTs are capable of 160hz too, putting you past the 144hz plebs. There's also some 200+hz ones but those are uncommon.

I always have a hard time taking CRT pictures. Only one I can find atm

You live in the dark?

Based Mexicans.

I remember at the time I tried to take a pic with the lights on but it looked really washed out.

its all about having a still image, the right angle, background light, and focus.

Pausing animu was hit or miss too but I think the problem i had with that was mostly different screen refresh between the tv and digital camera. They matched up every 30 or so seconds and I could get a pic. The zelda one was probably more trouble because i was trying to get the new in the shot now that i think about it.

turn off your flash, the problem with capturing anime is its 480i, so half the time your shot will be interalced.

Gah, there are hundreds of CRT televisions left in alleyways where I reside, and stupid fucks completely obliterate the backs of them to obtain the copper and precious metals housed within. Idiots don't realize that the insides of the vacuum tube are lined with phosphorus and the glass is leaded to lower the intensity of ionizing radiation that emanates from the electron gun.

Fuck them. At least when I dismantle CRTs its because they are:
A)Broken and probably not worth repairing/Terrible quality due to degradation
B) Highly common brand and you could easily find one if you wanted

And I always recycle the tubes, I don't smash any glass in the process. I own many working CRT televisions, they are great to experiment with.

You sound like a good responsible person user. Keep it up.

Its trash. It no longer has value to anyone, and its illegal to go through. In addition, how do you know they arent just stripping common brands?

If it's on the curb or in a dumpster it's public domain. People dumpster dive for a reason.

A hipster doofus containment thread. Nice.

No, the commodore 64 had a small market in North America. I live in Canada and my family has several monitors, and they're also used by local retro game shops and game communities for events.

I'm tempted to get one of those 1702's. I love the look and it reminds me a lot of my sony kv-1311cr, beige is just an awesome looking color for any sort of technology but I really want to stick with RGB monitors. S-video is great but it's a sort of standards thing I'm going for here. I think that leaves me with the Commodore 1084.

What is the anime in the picture laddie?

Good music taste.

TN panel @ 75hz is better

You have better eyes than I do user. Unless you just like the chipmunks Christmas album.

Pretty sure it's a laserdisc

Thanks, it's somewhere in my backlog now.

It is only three episodes user. Go watch it now.

pick one

I don't speak with hipsters.

Is it just me or can anyone else not enjoy games from the earlier eras of gaming without it being on a crt? I mean, anything from Atari 2600 to PlayStation 2 just looks better on an older tv.

he says while being on a board full of them

it's best to play things the way they were intended, and atari 2600 and many other early consoles work by manipulating things on a scanline basis, newer TVs don't use scanlines so the manipulation is of an emulation. and the PS2 is largely a 480i system which is a video format that only works on CRT.

Downloading, then.

What

Dual layer DVD .iso

Did Hitler just get blacked?

Only the really expensive ones.

Enjoy user. It is worth a read too if you can find the time. Kenichi Sonada is pretty great.

Fuck CRTs.

No, all CRTs last longer than LCDs and LEDs. OLEDs especially have an extremely short lifespan.

Falling CRTs made me learn the value of money.
When I was a kid the table-locker my parents would put TV screens on collapsed and the CRT on top crushed all of the crystal and porcelain cups and plates inside the locker part.
They kept mentioning money and having to work more, and this was when my child self learned things cost money and that if my parents were spending more money they would spend less time with me, so I did the only sensible thing and started spending the most money possible by doing things such as leaving taps running, setting the fridge to maximum and biting off the front bumper of their car myself which used to be a thing our dog would do.

cats despise LCDs. Nowhere to lie down, minimal heat, and built to fail.

This is why you teach your cat not to climb stuff other than maybe the couch.
Every time they try to climb something with a fragile and valuable thing on top just shoo it away and after a few times it'll never try again, they're smart enough to learn.

CRTs start to like lose brightness after a while.

phosphor degradation happens around the 125k hour mark. Everything else is based on small components degrading or failing which is easily replaceable. OLED lasts less than 36,000 hours.

It is their job user.

trying to get your cat to not do something will pretty much mean they will hate you and still do that thing. They aren't really animals that can be trained, more ones that you want them to warm up to you.

We had a security camera CRT in the corner of our store on 24/7 for…20 years? And it never broke down. Granted it was black & white, but that thing fucking LASTED.

I imagine it had some nasty burn but it probably had 50,000 hours more in it.

The only reason so many CRTs have lasted this long is because they no longer see frequent use.

that is wrong

They're too sharp for low res games.

That's the point? The very nature of a tube television applies a natural anti aliasing filter to the image.

A man of taste, I see.

sounds like you guys are looking for the LCD experience, the definitive way to play everything ;)

hold on fam, you're not jealous of my superior flat panel, are you? ;) Just look at how clear and vibrant my LCD is compared to this old CRT!

What's the name of that CRT?

It is a Panasonic CTF 1465R
About a year ago an ebay seller was getting rid of a lot of them from a warehouse find all sealed and new. I have been keeping an eye out for more. It is a great little tv.

if you've yet to see a multiformat CRT in person you really are missing out. The actual picture quality on any signal is insane. 480p is gorgeous and 720p really is something to behold. Just about any multiformat is gorgeous.

It's the same guy who makes the Saturn threads.

Damn, never knew there was more than one poster per interest on this board. Owned him

Poast your own black levels

it happens even to $500+ top end IPS monitors
imgur.com/a/jWO59

no thanks
id rather have 5 times bigger screen with 1/5 of the weight

I had that one. It was perfect, used it for many years.

You can still get them here if you click the (u) next to the file name, but cuckchan puts 3 random numbers on the end of the timestamp.
Polite sage for offtopic

dude stop posting your $4.25 lcds, here's a 144hz meme approved $250 LCD which as you can see, has perfect black levels! CRT fags btfo.

the only flat panel to have competitive black levels with CRT is a $40,000 display, the Dolby PRM-4220

so these are the people that come to CRT threads, huh?

inferior consumer grade shit that dies in 4 years. Also isn't competitive with CRT.

nano-proprietary.com/

They patented themselves in to oblivion and now the only evidence they ever existed is the domain that is now some virgins blog.

Nice goalpost moving m8.

Hell no. Interlacing is an abomination, and never should have been invented.

This is why you need crt

CRT and original hardware fags need to be purged

t. underaged that never played on a CRT

I did play on several CRTs up to 2010 since I was poor as shit growing up.

Emulation is shit. If you aren't playing the original 1.0 release of Wind Waker on native Gamecube hardware on an authentic Zenith CRT R50V26 TV configured for maximum floating lag pixel depth input calculation in your bedroom on a bean bag chair while your parents are arguing over whether or not you should see a shrink after groping the neighbor's cat and wavedashing to school, then you're a fucking pleb who doesn't know shit about vidya gaems.

Found the problem, permanently asshurt fags who consolidated all their bets into one basket and are stuck in their ways, actively convincing themselves their solution is the best despite mounds of evidence

Shut up fag.

Poorfag spent all mommies money on a shit pc and has to beg for attention in threads he doesn't even like the subject of

Odds are you're Brazilian.

I have a WIi U, and there is no game I'd rather play on my CRT than on the gamepad. Could that just be because the CRT is only good for N64 games?

Even a CRT can not make N64 look good.

Am I doing something wrong? Because the NES games look good on the crt but my wife is getting the impression that CRTs are garbage

I paid $20 for this cat warmer

I worked at walmart and had to see five "QLED" displays get replaced within the first three months of their arrival.
These displays are supposed to last up to a year.

Trust me, they're garbage and they interlace to make the framerate look "acceptable", while still being disgustingly blurry even on still images that they have loaded specifically for the display.

How about OLED? The vita's screen looks great, but I repeatedly make bad decisions on which consoles to buy
I own a Vita and a WIi U

Get a 3ds before it's un-homebrewable.
I don't know what OLED is, but it's probably the exact same thing but with a little yellow sticker on every other capacitor. All I know, is that for 0 reason we can discern, 2884 goes through multiple big screen lg/samsung screens like they're literally going out of business. RCA sells like a beauty, and has actual, legitimate, good looking 60+ fps on their displays that you can clearly see without the fuzzying.

Vita was a mistake, but the Wii U wasn't half bad, you just gotta know what to play - and be of mind to play those games. If it's backwards compatible as well, enjoy the best version of RE4 ever made.

I think we should all applaud CRT televisions for what they can truly accomplish. Might even be safe to say that they're the televisions of geniuses.

Only high IQ posters will get this.

QLED and OLED aren't the same thing, dipshit.

interpolate, not interlace. interlacing involves fields and flat panels do not work this way, they are inherently progressive scanning.

OLED isn't a long term solution and there is no getting over the 4 year hump. It's just not a suitable technology going forward and really can't compare to CRT.

any way now that halfchanners have broadcasted their inability to hide threads they don't like, lets post some CRT shots. These are from a JVC DT-V1710CG, a really well made broadcast monitor from the early-mid 00's.

CRT is a contrarian fad. It's no different than hipsters using turntables to play old vinyl LPs when we have free lossless audio codec.

Commodore was yuge in America compared to Europe, Europe was all about the ZX Spectrum, BBC Micro, and various Eastern-Bloc 6502 and 8088 based machines

I notice a lot of Commodore 1702 monitors are starting to popup as props in movies and shit. I don't watch Stranger Things because its fucking cancer, but I even recall a scene in a security room at a hospital where the walls were full of 1702s

a lot of the period elements in stranger things feels more like cheerky references for retro nerds. 1702s really aren't security monitor material.

I don't have a problem with CRTs it just annoys me when fags post obviously biased comparisons or don't know what the fuck they're talking about. OLED isn't an ideal panel but my point was that there are alternative display types with accurate black levels.

Nothing feasible and affordable yet, OLED just isn't a solid alternative and the way the technology works it just can't be. There's a reason why they still use BVM CRTs in color mastering.

That is much more than I wanted to spend but I am considering it.

the 3DS is so beyond hacked that that will likely never happen

What laserdisc player you using there? One of the later dvd/ld combo ones?

CLDA100 Laseractive with sega pac

One of my cats can't be taught not to climb up on stuff. She's a free spirit like that. A really annoying free spirit.

NO

FLAT IS JUSTICE

As someone who plays Counter-Strike, I wish I had one of those old dinosaur monitors instead of my 60hz LCD.

Apparently, the old monitors had 120hz refresh rates and that gives a significant/noticeable smoothness in games. In CS, every milisecond counts.

Refresh rate =/= input lag.

I had a feeling it was a laseractive. I saw that rectangle on the bottom left and was like "is that a… nah I don't think so". Probably should have looked up a picture of one before asking. Are those players even any good for movies? You're paying like almost two or three times more for one then if you got even a high end LD player from the late nineties.

I bought this one before youtube informed collectors of their next purchase so I did not pay anything near current prices. It is nothing special as far as playing laser discs goes. I have much better LD players in various rooms of my home. I agree there are some good deals out there on some high end LD players. It is harder to get someone to properly pack such a large item so the face is not broken or scratched by the time the delivery people kick and throw it around.

My reflexes are good enough that a 120hz monitor would benefit me, but unfortunately I don't have the money.

Even on CSGO a 120hz+ monitor is a must if you want to play on a high level.

What I actually meant to say is that on 60hz everyone's movement is choppier, like they are teleporting across the screen. 120hz makes animations smooth, so it's easier to gauge when to shoot.