What's a good controller for emulation?

What's a good controller for emulation?
Don't care if it's a bit pricy,i just want it to feel and play good for newer consoles (wii-u gamecube,etc)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Here you go, my man.

Legends say a demon resides in that controller.

The one that goes for the console itself.

I'm gonna need someone to post the image of the samurai talking to the fat kid for this one.

X360 controller, you might check the "Grifta" modulars, concept is nice but i never bothered to look into them more.

DS3

Ds2 or 3
For gamecube, you'll want to configure the face buttons 90 degrees to the right of what you'd expect–X is A, square is B, etc

This. Most console exclusives were built with their specific controller in mind. For example: Mario Sunshine heavily relies not only on the L and R buttons being analog, but also on their "click" when fully pushed.
I'd know, I tried emulating that game with an Xbox 360 controller and it felt really damn awkward no matter how I set up the analog bumpers.

Why not just get a trackball mouse?

fuck me, I meant triggers. But you know what I meant anyway.

ps4 or ps3 pad, you mostly want something with a good d-pad because the only competent emulators are pretty much just for 2D games.

Dualshock 3 natively recognized by windows?

No but it's easy enough to set up. Can even use it wireless with a bluetooth adapter.
forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

There are adapters to use the controllers for those systems on a PC.

Look into your heart and you will find the answers you desire

I've been having serious input delay issues with PCSX2 using a PS3 controller with scptoolkit

I play the exact same game at 60 FPS (NFSU2) and the PCSX2 version feels extremely sluggish in comparison, as it does for all other games I play on the emulator. Don't know what the issue is but it makes it unplayable.

Personally I use Nintendo's official WiiU GCN Adapter along with a little Linux userspace driver I wrote myself.
Has four ports for controllers, the only thing it'll leave you wanting is a better D-pad and accelerometer/gyro for motion controls.
(Really need to open-source the code at some point, ToadKing's driver works fine except it doesn't support rumble due to limitations in Python's udev library, mine is written in C/C++ so it can support rumble as well)

Official adapter? they still sell it? all i can find are bootlegs

The Mayflash clone is pretty good.

How do you find one of these bastards? Or does it find you?

You dumbass
There's a new kang of controllers now

If you're willing to wrestle a bit with the custom DS3 drivers this has still yet to be beat for the most part:

While that is a pretty decent controller for older stuff.
No.

Custom drivers? are they a pain in the ass?

WTF I PRESS TA SHOOT, NIGGA?

士, obviously

oh
thanks dawg

What works for connection for DS3,any generic usb cable?

Mini USB

Mini to usb,got it

Also the + Joycon is better for playing games.

I have enjoyed this quite a bit for 2D games, though I think the analog sticks are a bit awkwardly placed for intuitive movement. Thank goodness they have Nintendo's octagonal gates to feel out the right directions.

Thankfully there were in fact very few Gamecube games that genuinely need the triggers to be analog. I emulate a ton of stuff with the Classic Controller and it works great.

Dualshock 4 is a bit pricy but i like using it for PC use, being able to map stuff onto the pad part and share but makes it better for PC than its own console

wew

i have little manlet hands and got pic related as a gift. for 8/16 bit emulation it's perfect, the d-pad feels good and the buttons feel good, but for ps2 etc emulation the dual triggers are kinda poorly placed depending on the game you're playing

This, the touchpad is useful as fuck when managing emulator menus and shit is super useful.
You can also edit your mappings freely using DS4Windows or Inputmapper.
People suggesting Xbox 360 must be jesting, that d-pad is atrocious. I heard the XboxONE controller has a nice d-pad though, but I can't confirm it.

It's nice.
There are third party ones with nicer DPads though

I found switching between the two pairs of shoulder buttons awkard.
so i mainly used it on emulators that only have one pair.
it might just be me but i found the D-pad a little inconsistant when trying to pull off motions in fighting games

Would be perfect if it had the D-pad and joystick positions switched around.

Is anyone aware of any controllers with microswitch D-pads? I have always wondered about the bliss of playing PC games with something like this.

I'm considering picking up one of these myself, what adapter do you use to connect it to your pc?

And emulating Super Metroid on my 3DS XL tells me that it is indeed pretty fucking awesome.

One of these. Now, unfortunately, its feature to switch the input type of the D-pad from button to hat to POV on the fly only works on Windows. But you can remap your inputs pretty readily with a program called Antimicro on GNU/Linux.

Switch to linux for emulator gaming. I get no controller/input lag, ever. Even when I tried a ps3 on pcsx2 on a laggy god of war setup. I always used the xbox 360 style controllers though because that was what I was used to. Never had any problems with getting it to work with games.

What do I emulate N64 on?

Only if you use the ponyfag fork version.

Dualshocks are pretty good for modern games without sacrificing usability, a 1 or 2 is better if you can find an adaptor, a 3 is acceptable otherwise, and there's always the Logitech 310 if you don't want to give Sony money.

A little frustrating. But worth it.

You might have to wrestle with it for thirty minutes or so.

PS2 controllers are super cheap. You can buy 50 of them, run 20 instances of your favorite games and play them simultaneously on the big screen. Best bang for the buck.

Do you have one? If so, is it shit or not? I've been thinking about getting one because devs are lazy and almost exclusively use xinput these days, but I've also heard that 310s are so bad that L2 and R2 are seen as the same button in lots of games.

I haven't owned one but I've seen it recommended plenty.
That's because they are, modern controllers use the Z axis for both L2/R2. The problem might be a problem with the shoulder buttons depressing too easily or being stuck, I don't know.

You give up on the N64 because its emulators are hopelessly shitty.

I have a Threadripper 1950X and RX 580.
Dolphin runs like butter on it.
Citra can play 3DS Pokemon at 100% with it (and the recent texture cache rework pull request).

But cen64?
Just nope.
Because all rendering in cen64 is executed on the CPU, and cen64's rendering code isn't able to fully utilize multithreading, it's too slow, no matter how overkill your hardware is for the job.
mupen64plus and Project64 have their shitty plugin systems, mupen64plus' GUIs tend to be shitty, Project64 is Windows-only.

cen64 is the last hope for good N64 emulation, and I'm not very hopeful about it because the developer doesn't seem to have time to work on it anymore. And when he does have time he works on n64chain instead of cen64.

I don't give a shit about accuracy autism, I just want to play N64 games. Does Mupen64 actually work on linux?

F310 IS FUCKING SHIT

No really, with f310 you get

F310 is a fucking meme controller for poor niggers.

Yeah, it'll work.
It might be so inconvenient to use that you give up, but it should work if you bang your head against the wall enough.

I've been shilling this controller for a while because I like it.
Comfy enough to take me all the way through NieR automata and Paper Mario TTYD, and small enough to not take up too much space.
The only problem now is it's gonna be hard to find since they stopped producing them.

ZD-V chink controller, 20 bucks, looks and feels/plays just like a dual shock1. Usb plug and play, registers as a 360 controller driver.

Have a nice day.
OR
Get an adapter.

Mupen64plus.

Yea, but if you compile it yourself from latest github or download a recent version instead of ancient you get a very quality emulator for the actual gameplay. Care to explain the benefits of c64 over mupen64plus with the correct graphics plugin and banging the head against the wall enough to use the GUI and read the fucking manual? Which is to say accuracy.

Yes it works and it's preety accurate and fast. Never heard of someone bitching about another emulator before.

This , get a adapter.

Looks like shit tbh

This

what, is it like a msec or something that anyone with 100+ msec reflex lag would notice?
not only is mine clean, but has also been fairly sturdy for the last 4 years

F310 is fine, stop being a sperg

I got a usb wired 360 controller like 5 years ago and I've been pretty happy with it.

Is that his chess club?

Best post.

My favorite so far is that HORI six button one.
Oh. Fucking anything that reliably does not fuck up in six months time. I've been throwing around this hyperkin one for about anything else but I'm still waiting to see if it eats shit in under a year yet.

That couldn't have a worse name. Sure they didn't just rebrand the fucking thing?

Hate this meme.

My hands are pretty big. Anything around the size of a 360 or dreamcast controller?
How is the steam controller anyways?

Shows which guys had more fun

Nice arguments nigger faggot
>>>/reddit/ normalfag

DS4 is nice, as others have said
DS4Windows gives you lots of options in regards to mapping/binding, so you can slap extra options on to different buttons (mapping save-state to a touchpad button for example), plus you can set it to use different mappings for different programs. Very useful altogether imo.

Lmao the 3DS XL has a terrible D-pad. New and old.

No?

Yes. It's too small, too flat and placed awkwardly. Playing Gunstar Heroes with the thing was a torturous experience.
Just because it produces a clicking sound that satisfies your autism doesn't make it good.

FAT

This was never funny

Besides

ASSES

Why isn't there a driver for the gamecube controller that supports vibration for n64 emulation?

where is it well documented and what is the input lag then, hmmm? I did say if it wasn't greater than like 100 msec, it's unnoticeable since human reflex lag is 150+ msec.
I'm not saying it's a great controller, but for $20 it's fine. there you went sperging out again. at least I'm only HFA

Only agree with awkward placement on the original 3DS.

This is my controller. The PowerA Nintendo Switch wired controller. The best thing to the actual Pro Controller. The Pro Controller is $70, while this is $30, and looks nicer too. Mine is Zelda Black, but it also comes in Mario Red as well. It's really easy to setup too since it has official PC drivers. Just plug it into the USB and go. SImple as that.

Plus, since it's an officially licensed Nintendo controller, that makes it perfect for emulating Cemu games.

Dualshock 4 is what I use, I just like the feel of that controller the most and it has good support. You can use DS3 as well if you want, but I have a PS4 so it was easiest for me to just buy a DS4.

DS4 does feel better since it has a comfier grip.

Here you go op

If you can stomach the software that it's on and I'm being absolutely unironic about it, you can play a few Wii games with it. However if you just want a regular controller, go for a dualshock or 360 controller.

CODENIGGER!

That thing feels like such a piece of plastic, gotta be the most disappointing part about it.

I use my DS3 for everything and never had any problems.

Xbone dpad is very clicky.
It's a bit too stiff at first but it's really nice after using it a couple of hours.
There was also a controller for the 360 that had a pad/stick with microswitches similar to the neogeo controller. It cost only $16 but it never failed me. It's called Versus Fighting Pad. Not only has the dpad microswitches, every face button has a microswitch.
Best part is, because they are both xbox controller they work out of the box on PC.

Changing its batteries is horrible hassle. Since the plastic feels frail and you have to press the underflaps contacts to release the batteries, it ends up being a game of "oh shit I'm about to break this".

The levers for mine slip out pretty easily. The only problems I find with it is that it feels like plastic shit and the batteries can sometimes get a little stuck in it. And Steam but I know some lucky fucks are working on making their own shit on Linux. Hopefully a Windows port will come soon.

>best fucking d-pad I've ever touched in my life granted, the only gamepads I ever owned myself were X360 gamepad and three thousand knock-off Genesis gamepads, so it doesn't takes much to impress me in this regard, but it was still really good
Fucking chinks, why can't you be like westerners and disappoint me right off the bat instead of giving me false hopes first?

Saturn controller for 2d games, DS4 for everything else.

I stand by my post

You spent $10 on a controller, they'd have to skimp somewhere.

You deserve to have all your currency taken from you.

Well now I know what I'm buying next. Thanks user!

Good for retro and arcade games. Fightan' games too. I ace faggots in NetPlay playing JoJo arcade as Hol Horse with this fella.

The GCN or the Wii Classic Controller (not pro) for analog buttons. You can get them and the adapters for a reasonable price.

Are the adapters for classic controllers actually decent? I've been wanting to buy one, but I've heard bad things about Mayflash stuff. Are they compatible with NES/SNES mini controllers (as they have the same port)?

Question: What's a good controller for emulation?
Answer: This dick

Had this for several years now and it works fine. My only complaint is sometimes on Windows I need to unplug/replug it to get the D-pad input type switching to function properly. That doesn't matter on GNU/Linux since that functionality doesn't work at all.

Xbone controller
/thread

The GCN remote has that issue too. It's a problem with the mayflash drivers. Haven't been able to find fan made drivers that work any better though.

Sure thing Chris