Companions

Am I the only one who hates companions in games? Some make the game too easy, not allowing you to kill enemies by yourself and some are annoying even outside of combat.
I hate 9S so much, it's like that boring kid that won't shut up when you are trying to play but inside the game. Plus 2B gets closer to him as the game advances. Completely ruined it for me. If only you could at least ditch him telling him to do something else or just kill him somehow(ending I doesn't do much).

If they shut up I don't mind but when does that ever happen? It's like all party members are just thinly veiled developer commentary at this point.

I don't even like companions that kill things for me. They always ruin shit like stealth or headshots.

I don't hate companions that are waifu material, support me, don't talk too much outside of dialogue, don't steal my kills, don't ruin my sneaking approach and that don't aggro the enemies.

Plucky forced companions with perma-dreamworks face who crack wise nonstop should be killed with fire.
9S does not fall into this category play the rest of the game you eternal shit taste

This. Sometimes you have to get back to get more stamina or something and they just kill everything for you.

Pawns are both annoying and the one of the coolest things I've seen in video games.

I don't think companions are bad, it's the way they're used that's bad. And the fact that they're all controlled by simple scripts.A companion with solid AI would be awesome in most games, assuming the game is balanced for it.

Pawns are fine as long as you pick the qt females.

I don't hire other people's two-bit waifu knockoffs.

That means you're a sensible human being user.

if you don't want your waifu molested then don't rent them out like a prostitute.

I want to make an honest woman out of Umaru.

It's time to stop wasting other people's precious air.

(checked)
lets calibrate those trips with a song

I just wanted to play a new class.

Stop insulting my wife assholes

I thought about replying calling her trash, but then I realised I would be insulting trash by dragging it down to Japanese Garfield's level. The only thing trashier than her is your taste.

I hate them when they are AI controlled.

Pawn inclination needs to be set to the correct thing for them to have the right behavior. You're supposed to buy those special potions from the bearded guy in the encampment to set and reset the pawn's inclination, otherwise you basically just get something random and it's almost always shitty.

I don't hate the concept but I'm often unimpressed by the execution.

Wait, you got cucked by the AI companion? how sad of a existence you must have to have something like that happen to you?

Addendum:
I find that the idea of having companions is often spoiled by them just being turned into mouthpieces for the developer, or having no personality whatsoever. I find that a companion that's an interesting companion is fine to travel with, but I can't tolerate them otherwise.

Hey leave Mark alone… plus I secretly sorta like Japanese Garfield

What a waste of trips tbh.

Companions are annoying because 9/10 times they're not well integrated with the world, can take up room and generally are not intelligent enough to take cover and alert enemies.

Having a companion feel real, like a real living person is a challenge, as they're meant to fill in the roll of traditional table-top RPGs of an actual person who can respond in real time, and many companies miss this mark.
Which is why bethesdass is terrible

I feel you, OP.
Sometimes they are not even companions, but allies. I hate that I disliked something about them and I'm forced to still interact and talk to them.
Way worse when my own character enjoys them. When they are just a random shopkeeper or something it's "fine". Wish there were more people as retarded as I am so devs would add you options to offend random friendly NPCs and eventually let you tell them to fuck off and not get their help anymore.

Inclination only affects what actions pawns will prioritize. So, Guardians will focus on hugging/buffing/healing the player, Challengers/Mitigators/Scathers will focus on killing ranged enemies/trash mobs/boss monsters, Nexii are like Guardians but for other pawns. Pioneers have a longer leash, aquisitors are aught fetchers, medicants heal themselves more. Utilitarians use skills more, or something?
b700c0s' problem is bestiary knowledge. Pawns don't start with any info on enemies, so they have to learn. Either through watching: the player, another pawn or stumbling upon it themselves.
So, for instance
And so on. Like as not the first mage got hired out more and saw more tactics as a result, while the second didn't get out much at all.

Pawns are seriously the coolest thing in vidya to come out this decade. They're on the level of F.E.A.Rs' AI/Radio chatter. Also rate.

Something about the cheek structure and chin is off.

You make it sound like that's a small difference. Inclinations have a huge effect on how pawns behave in combat. The wrong inclination can result in a pawn that just sits there doing fuckall, and the right inclination can result in a pawn that gets in the drake's fucking face and goes HAM. Bestiary knowledge doesn't play into it at all, and if his pawn is fucking around and not hitting the enemy with it's sword/bow/spells then you have an inclination problem.

Better bestiary knowledge only has a minor effect on their performance against that specific foe, and sometimes has no effect at all outside of them actually calling out what the foe's weakness is.

I love the idea of an AI partner that learns based off your playstyle, but I feel like the game would be better if you could just specify inclinations without the need for using potions. Why do they need a potion just for me to say "Try to use more healing spells"?

They change based on how you play.

sleep snug, smug

One of the reasons people usually end up with shitty pawns is because they spawn the "Come" command to make their pawns catch up while traveling and shit, and that causes inclination to nudge towards Guardian every single time you do it. Guardians are the worst pawns because they sit there right next to you with their weapon drawn and DON'T FUCKING DO ANYTHING. In contrast, spamming the "Go" command will nudge pawns towards the Pioneer inclination, which makes them wander more and extends the "range" around the Arisen that they are capable of moving on their own.

Stopped reading there

OP either didn't finish the game or is a faggot.
9S is the best video game protagonist since DMC1 Dante.

He's just a dumb edgelord.

You mean trips of truth.

This is your favourite part of the game?

Personally, I always find games much more enjoyable when I don't have some annoying AI partners bumbling after me. Even when they help, I feel less satisfied, because I hate having things be done for me. If I have to actually look after and protect them, that's the worst. It's like I can't just do whatever I feel like doing, my decisions have to take my partner's dumb ass into account, and I'm basically on a leash. Sometimes it completely kills the atmosphere too, like in Resident Evil 5.

Kek, I miss this kind of retarded newgrounds flash animation shit.

It's been so many years since I thought of that little fucker. My cousin got jet force gemini from blockbuster and I hovered as Floyd with the controller in and helped him fight for what felt like a month. Those were good days. Thank you for digging that memory up.

Are you me?

Is your cousin also lost to the world now? Is he a shell of what he was and could have been?

That goes for all cousins and most family.

In GTA San Andreas companions work pretty well.
They give you an atmosphere more than anything but they'll be able to take a few shots and kill 1 or 2 guys before they go down.
I've spent many hours fucking around the map with my niggas in my car.

Kingpin: Life of Crime had good ones. In fact, they were essential to beating the game on harder difficulties.

This is Spazkid-tier.

Is that a good thing?

How much of an autistic faggot do you need to be to think 9S is annoying?

I usually prefer them silent and as customizable as the main character. Though I don't mind chatty companions like pawns from DD. It varies by game how much I like them, the ones in Star Wars: Republic Commando kicked ass and it was always nice to hear the occasional banter. The ones in The Bureau: XCOM Declassified sucked ass however and constantly needed to be watched over.

Can we talk about how great that game was? aside from the core mechanic of having to constantly tell your companions to wipe their own asses, it was really underrated and panned just because it wasn't really an XCOM game so it was doomed from the start

I played that game a year back and it was mediocre to bad throughout. It wasn't just because it wasn't an XCOM game, otherwise it would've pulled in a ton of console kiddies who never played an XCOM game. It was just a bad game.

He’s standard shota fare with a crush on the MC. That’s inherently annoying. How did you get the game to stop crashing every half hour, by the way?

In the same sense that if Big Rigs was made intentionally to make people laugh, it would be a "good thing."

Get better taste.

I don't like companions either, but since there are no more nier threads might as well put this here. Who thought it was a good idea to take away half your combos after you beat it with 2b and give you that lame ass minigame? If it was the other way around it would have been fine.. but I hated it so much I dropped the game

Ok fine, maybe my opinion is objectively wrong.

sleep snug, smug

So does he fuck the perfect ass clang?