Perfect Dark Thread

Let's have a Perfect Dark Thread, since we never have one.

I think the counter co-op mode was very ahead of its times. Imagine that but with 4v4 instead of 1v1 or at least 2v2.

Any good romhacks for Perfect Dark out there? besides playing with mouse and keyboard?

The 360 version is so much better it's not even funny.

God I played that game a lot back in the day, but never bothered to emulate it. Modern FPSes always disappoint me with their weapon selection because I see Perfect Dark as the benchmark.
Favorite map is the villa, favorite gun Laptop gun, but there are so many fun guns. Loved how the Cyclone's reloading sounded.

My fucking nigga

You're missing out. 60fps PD with m/kb is fucking great.

Reminder that if you're playing on original hardware or with an N64 controller you should play like this with 1.2 controller settings for a modern FPS-style control. Also 1.2 is easier to map for emulationfags since you don't have to map random shit like half of the mouses movements to c-buttons and the other half to the analogue.

Temple, Farsight XR-20. The cause of many fights between my friends back in the day.

From a thematic/literary perspective, the first half of the game is pretty great, up until you end up fighting aliens. It's not that I dislike aliens, it's just that the beginning of the game seemed like it'd take an entirely different route, with the Datadyne conspirators doing something to fuck people over that is more grounded in reality (i.e. a secret group of international conspirators who seek to control all facets of society, or something like that).

From a gameplay perspective, I liked the Air Force One mission because it gave you a brief opportunity to act like an actual secret agent who wears disguises and bypasses security
Laptop gun and Proximity Mines for King of the Hill, SuperDragon for crowd control, and N-bombs for when you want to be an ass

Perfect Dark was a very innovative FPS and my greatest anger at the console FPS scene is that Halo came out a year later and ruined everything by making everyone forget all of Perfect Dark's ideas.

Gameplay wise the alien missions were great though

Speaking of alien missions, the extra post-game missions were a treat. the final post-game mission is the hardest on perfect agent

RCP-120 or Dragon

Is it really? I could get that one

High resolution textures, japanese Joanna Dark model, anti-aliasing, XBLA multiplayer support, stable 60fps, 720p, twin analog ,stick support, better quality audio.

Yikes.

It's a console shooter.

Yes except the lighting.

Like every FPS, it plays infinitely better with M/KB.

I don't care, I hate emulators.

oh shit i found the hidden PS/2 ports on the N64

That's perfectly okay. Tell us more about your likes and dislikes.

Pic very related.

Hmm okay, I like ice cream. And hate black people or niggers as I like to call them.

I really liked the mission where you have to infiltrate the airbase. At least the concept of it and wish they went further with social stealth and exploring.
Atmosphere-wise my favorite mission has to be Chicago.

Even Wolf?

It might be Chicago. It's small but dense with cool detail and Blade Runner vibe. I was so impressed that I was playing it on an N64 back at release. Hard to pick though, each level did something memorable and completely cool. Of everything PD did well, it did level design the best imo.

The dragon, because my friends would always forget it was a proximity mine in multiplayer and I was really good at throwing boobytraps.

Combat simulator, and holing up against swarms of difficult bots. I did a playthrough with the adversarial mode, trying to stop my friend, but it was a better idea than execution.

RCP-120 is meme gun. Dragon is more useful.

Can N64 be mouse and keyboard'd on linux?

Good taste, user-kun!

(old) Blues/Jazz is the only acceptable nigger music.

You take that back!

Maybe through WINE or something.

Tried emulating it once years ago, seemed like a fun game but couldn't get into it because I couldn't use mouse, the auto-aim felt like cheating and that's no way to play. If there's some way to use mouse then I'll give it a shot again.

There is a way to play it with M+KB and it works perfectly. It was even mentionned itt.

Auto-aim is actually a handicap in Perfect Dark because of headshots.

Have you guys ever played the second Ultra Dark game? It went by a different name I think but it was by the original team and they all called it the spiritual succesor, the story went something like this:
So there was this horse who wasn't actaully a horse at all and just a bomb, but a bomb made out of dead babies who were killed in the past life by vengeful widdows, widowed because there husbands were Africans, who left not becasue of some racist stereotype, but because they were going to Israel to aid in the army force against this mysterious Alien called 'big jew'. Anyways, this horse bomb goes off inside of Steven Pinkers puckered butthole and the entire academic scene goes into a rage, they bust out stethescopes and try to listen for loose beta particles but got caught up in the fecal matter, all caught colera and died. However, their stained souls turned them in the future life into black people, these went on to widow the widows, and the cycle renews. I thought the plot was brilliant
Anyone else remember this game?
The gameplay was sort of a mix of GTA, 52 card pick up, and the bee movie.

It was the proto-Switch/wiimote+nunchuck.

It's janky as hell, though.

I recently played through GE and PD with it, and never ran into any problems. Use the latest version.

dataDyne Defection, blew my fucking mind when I was young, grew up a console gamer so I had never seen anything like it, even after playing goldeneye it was amazing, infiltrating an office building, stealthing through the first part of the mission, still excellent.
K7 for stoppin powah
Cyclone for fun
dataDyne investigation

Data Dyne Extraction, I love shooting up corporations up.
Knife because you can fling it at people, probably the pistol because you can shoot weapons from people's hands.
The Villa

No kidding, I even bought Brink for this feature but it turns out that it plays like a regular deathmatch with bots. I was so disappointed. The closest game that had this feature was Kane and Lynch 2's multiplayer. You played as a cop if you died as a heister.

I wonder why a company hasn't made an equivalent game mode yet? Does Rare have a patent on it or something?

Meant to say that I loved datadyne defection.

The cool part was that the protagonist was named after a Catholic saint.

I really wish they'd port the 360 remaster to pc already.

PD M/KB is the best. I want another shooter like it.

Two controllers at once is clunky and awkward to deal with (not to mention that hunting down two good analogues for the 64 these days is challenging). Plus you don't really need analogue movement, just analogue aim, the d-pad does handles movement just as well as WASD. My question is; doesn't it get awkward to reach up for the A/B? I could be wrong but when I do it I loosen my grip a bit, and I feel confident loosening my grip to do so because my other hand is holding the controller.

That said if you're just talking about playing with 2 controllers for how awesome it is that you can even do it, I won't deny that.

Go back to Goldeneye, fag,

I used to play this game co-op with my mum because I had no friends.

you got me, right on the feels.

the one with snow, super dragon and mines, because fuck you

I loved the multiplayer challenges, co-op against elite bots was great. I remember the campaign co-op being pretty brutal because you took double damage.

jesus christ

Bought a 360 slim just for the remake. They even replicated most of the glitches. I can still pincushion the fag at the target range.

You can't put a male head on female body or a Maian head on human body anymore though.

You need a custom setup of the controls for that, which incidentally you provide so you're not actually playing it with it's original control scheme. Otherwise you would need an actual controller. All N64 games have this problem.

google for "perfect dark 1964"

1964 emulator + mouse injector.
It's an awesome experience perfect dark / goldeneye with mouse+keyboard.

I remember finding the hidden cheeses in all the levels and wondering what the fuck they were for.
I hated Elvis, worst Rare character by far and Rare is nothing but shit characters.
Favourite mission is probably Chicago for the ambience, and I dig chicks in trenchcoats.
Favourite weapon is the silenced pistol. Simple and effective.
Favourite multiplayer map is probably the reskin of Control or Complex or whatever it was called.

I bet you dual wield phoenixes too, faggot

I thought elvis was good for its time. As a kid, Don't mess with the maian was enjoyable, coming from all the seriousness in FPSes in that era.

Seriously. Acting like running around as a grey skin with the USA Flag strapped across your chest while gunning down all who stand in the way aint patriotic. Fucking commies.

PD is. GE is a much shittier game, No reload animations, AI is braindead, only real difficulty comes from the inane and unintuitive mission objectives

1.2 control scheme, Analogue mapped to mouse, d-pad mapped to WASD, left trigger (aim) to right mouse, right trigger (fire) to left mouse, A (reload/action) to R, B (weapon switch) to E. That's it.

Nah, then you're just emulating an analog stick with the mouse, and that plays like shit. The real answer is

That's a shame. My multiplayer character was Mr Blonde body with the Maian warrior head.
I liked how the bots also had personality modifiers on top of being able to modify their model. Five coward sims mixed with a peace, justice, and kaze sim was how I usually played. I also remembered how the frame rate would drop to the single digits with a full bot roster during split acreen especially when N-bomb were thrown but we didn't care it was just some "Matrix mode" shit to us.

I recently got this, so it'll be some time before I play through it.

I prefer 1.2 on the right.

to each their own I guess, still better than playing it with default controls.

It's such a weird change to do, especially in this era of 56 genders.

I am terrible sad they botched the online multiplayer in this game. It doesn't work well no matter how good your connection is. Splitscreen and System Link works great but online you are always bouncing all over the god damn place.

In the Carrington Institute, the main lobby has reflections of the walls and columns on the floor, as well as the furniture and cI logo, which is pretty impressive for an n64 game. Only, the models and geometry are actually mirrored and/or extended below the floor, and the floor has some soft transparency to create this illusion. This image is an example of how it works.

So Perfect Dark was gonna get two sequels, called Perfect Dark: Core and Perfect Dark: Vengeance, but Microsoft canned them because they already had Gears of War and Halo

Given how Zero turned out, I'm not really bummed by that.

smfh

IIRC that's not an actual reflection, just a neat trick to give the illusion of reflection.

I was ready to buy a 360 at launch to play PD0, but before I did I actually got the chance to play it.
I did not buy a 360.
How Microsoft can continually fuck up so badly is beyond me. I guess that's what middle management is good for though.

Hah, I remember doing that with Valve Hammer Editor for some Half-Life maps. Fun shit.

i just wanna say thank you for this thread OP. i had no fucking CLUE they remastered this, i just picked it up for 10 FUCKING DOLLARS on xbox live after dusting off my 360 and beat the entire target range before doing half the single player missions. i dont have online service, is it worth it? is the "community" active?

please stop trying to fit in reddit. this is a thread about video games

1964 too hard to setup for you?

stop screeching and trying so hard to fit in, its legitimately embarrassing. im gonna go back to playing while you monitor this thread for replies and virtue signal about emulation :)

Good, Rare is dead. Accept it and move on already.

Both Perfect Dark and Goldeneye are great with the 60FPS mouse hack. Give them a try anons.

Too late, i already suffered through hell on the N64 trying to speedrun those missions for the cheats, i unlocked them all

I loved spraying and praying with the Magsec, that gun was adorable how it sputtered everywhere. The Skedar gun was great at how alien it felt, with the clunky reload, how the empty shells jumped everywhere and the fact that it was held with two hands, and the spinning motion could be used to grind someone with it like a big blender.
I also loved the Falcon, every model. For a main handgun, it really felt like an Ol' Reliable, not like the embarrassing gun that you dump the minute you find another one.