Etrian Odyssey General

Been curious about the franchise. Played some demos once and twice. One I only fucked up because I pressed the wrong button and got gored by a rock pig, the other I ended up fighting a demon camel in a lab or some shit.
Usually not into first-person Dungeon Crawlers, but I've heard nothing but praise and hype and am willing to give it another go.

Other urls found in this thread:

public.wishful.cc/touhou_threads/LoT2/
archive.is/OSdgC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

4, I absolutely loved its gameplay mechanics. It doesn't have as many beginner's traps like others, either.
Classic first
I don't know that many. Phantasy Star 1 was alright.

Classic always, story completely misses the point of a dungeon crawler.
Also avoid EO: Untold 2. Game has horrible DLC and the game is "rebalanced" around shitty story mode classes having tons of damage

Anywho, other games in the genre include
The Dark Tower for the DS
Legend of Grimrock 1+2 PC
The older wizardry games
and others I forget

Threadly reminder to play Labyrinth of Touhou and Labyrinth of Touhou 2 - those are surprisingly great games. Download the first one off of moriyashrine and the second one with the expansion here.

public.wishful.cc/touhou_threads/LoT2/

oh yeah, that one is pretty good. I didn't much care for the over-reliance on buffs/debuffs, fun games still though

ITS HAPPENING

Etrian Odyssey Yggdrasil Maker

Oh God, I'd rather play a fucking My Little Pony version over 2hu.

Consider this: A pack of wild Touhous.

Elegant, flying Youkais nearing your human home. Trampling your human lawn. Having a tea party with your human daughter.

And you can't do shit since they're youkais. Reimu grabs your wife and fucks her with her miko stick.

The Touhous finally dominate your household. They watch graceful spellcard fights in the sky and you are forced to be their sex slave.

Such is the downfall of Human.

I'm kind of disappointed they're leaving the untolds unfinished, in a way. But I'm also extremely curious to see what they're doing. If they're focusing on map drawing, it sort of sounds like one last goodbye for that mechanic. Would be neat to draw your own, but I don't really like those kind of "make your own game" games. I guess we'll see.

post more EO lolis

Thanks guys!
I don't know what it was about the Demo for EO4. Usually I don't like games like this (silly reasons like the pseudo-tank controls, and not seeing your own party members hitting the monsters- instead just a flash or slash mark across the screen)- but I still was interested.

Might try and download the demo and try again.

Well after how they handled EO2U it's for the best.

It's all about your imagination man, animations and characters are limited so you can fill in the blanks with your own story

If we're now paying $50+ for games, shit better paint a beautiful and vivid picture.
Imagination is for children and custom character/player character back-stories

Etrian Odyssey 4 was never even $50. Also kill yourself.

you could try out the first 7th Dragon game. It has the same director as EO and virtually the same battle and character growth mechanics, but DQ-like exploration and adorable animations where you actually see your lolis attacking.

Only EO2U was $50 due to Atlus' Jewish practices along with their other 3DS games at the time.

I meant it in jest!

I've heard high praise for 7th Dragon VFD 3 or whatever.
The chibi art style put me off (looked jaggy and "too chibi"- the bodies being too small)

EO2U was $75, but that's exactly why the OP, the idiot with no imagination, and everyone else should stay the fuck away from it and every game after Untold 1.

EOV is a return to form with no story mode bullshit at least.

EO5 has paid DLC.
Either pirate it or kill yourself for contributing to that shit.

Stranger of Sword City is said to be ok for people looking for something similar to EO on the PC

EO5 has a very mild form of paid DLC, especially compared to EO2U.

Anything is mild compared to EO2U, which is why I prefer to compare it to its other contemporary, EO4.
A complete game that not only had no paid DLC, but actually went above and beyond, including content that could be comparable to DLC in the form of QR codes not bound to any shop or digital restrictions.
It's not so mild when you compare it the other way. Again, pirate the game or kill yourself so you stop contributing to this decline.

I really want to get my hands on that when I get a better PC.
It even offered anime and more realistic art-styles for the game's own characters.
Didn't it let you put any portrait in for your characters? Anyone got a link to an album or something?

Oh boy, I love justification for pirating everything! I better do my part to better the game industry through never paying for games!

So I just got a new flashcart in and decided to give EOIII ago but Im not 100% sure about the classes I picked Which is a problem whenever I pick up a game like this really but whatever
I got:
hoplite/monk/gladiator
arbalist/wildling

You don't HAVE to play it, I was simply operating under the assumption that you are going to. I guess it's natural for someone of your caliber to make a complete non-argument like this.
The point is that you can be classified into one of two groups of people; the ones who don't buy it, who can spend their money on the better entries in the series if they're so inclined, and those who do buy it, supporting the decline of the series and earning their ticket to the gas chamber on the day of the rope.

Alternatively, you can buy the game and either pirate the DLC or just not bother with it. That way Fatlus sees that someone who bought the game didn't buy the DLC. Or maybe that idea's too complicated :^)

To be fair in EO2U's case you either pirate it or bust.

Your classes are fine, I would recommend you to think in which row should you leave the empty space, since that is going to be the place where the wildling's animals are going to spawn.

It's far from complicated and certainly not something unconsidered. What Atlus ACTUALLY sees is "We can cut content out of this game, release it early, and sell a bunch of it with a huge markup, and doing all of this doesn't negatively impact our game's sales! Why would we ever stop this?"

I'm sure Atlus is eager to repeat the failure of EO2U. Makes a lot of business sense.

You say that, but they didn't stop.

Play them in order and appreciate the changes each game brings.

hold up no one used a beast

Wrong.

The best DRPG's you can get on a recent-ish console are both on Vita: Dungeon Travelers 2 and Mary Skelter Nightmares.

I did, beasts are great. It's like a protector with damage output.

Beasts are decent as long as you are not fighting against something that can attack everyone in the team.

I was once considering Beast only run (from strat 2 onwards anyway, unless I'd resort to cheating to have the class open from the start), or 3 Beasts front row + 2 something else team for fun.
With that many Beasts and their natural tankiness, I'd imagine they could trigger Loyalty off each other thus ensuing that it likely won't be just one Beast taking brunt of the damage from party-wide attacks.

Can anyone explain why the Memory Conch exists? I had it equipped from the moment I got it, and by the time I got the retrainer items that automatically make you level 20, they weren't level 20. Seems extremely poorly implemented.

Sadly a lot of eov seems rushed.

I would've liked more post-game bosses and events in the sixth stratum, it could've made the game even better. Still the best EO game imo.

archive.is/OSdgC

Honestly an Untold 3 would be great.

I don't get why people want another untold. Premade characters that are part of the story seem to go against what the games are about. I'd rather have a new game that expands on how your own characters interact with the environment and npcs.

A new game is better of course, but I was under the impression that -untolds weren't terribly expensive to produce (adding in 3D assets from EOIV onwards; music, 2D assets and the vast majority of the dungeon layout from the original game) and that it was nice to see the games rebalanced with a few extras features and in THREEDEE more than the addition of the story mode. Plus EO3 was just a good all around entry and any excuse to replay it is welcome.

Better to replay it because it DIDN'T get a remake. Look at EOU1. Look at EOU2.
Now turn on your god damned brain and tell me what a great game like EO3 has done to deserve… that.

Do you have the first one? I found something called LoT Rebirth but I'm not sure if it's the right one.

Like what said they will most likely fuck it up in one way or another.

Yes indeed, my fellow goymer. I also love it when based Atlus adds tons of hp bloat and ezmode characters to my favorite Etrian Odyssey™ titles. And you can even expand the game itself with lots of COOL and reasonably priced downloadable content to enhance your experience.

I don't care about premade characters. I just like the new remixes and how they rebalance classes. I would rather create my own team still.

Sure, and I'll just go back to the original if it doesn't turn out well. I don't see the problem here unless you're suggesting they should make a different game. New Trauma Center/Team when?

Why even have them make a remake if they are going to fuck it though? It's one thing if they would just put out an updated version to fix the bugs and fix some of the classes (looking at you Wildling) but everything else is not worth it though. I still prefer the static 2D images and while the remixes are nice I'd rather they just release a new album.

If only ATLUS was like Square Enix and just shat out new albums 24/7. Can't think of any other company that throws around music as much as SE.

Because those items are limited, and the conch works up to level 99 rather than up to level 20? You nigs are stupid. It's also very useful if you've reached the endgame and want to create a secondary party, level up a dedicated farming team or replace someone on your team. Since you can get a ton of exp from the optional bosses, especially if you use the exp boosting item and the harbinger's skill that doubles exp for a while. You can give the other 25 characters in your guild massive amounts of exp that way, significantly cutting down on grinding. It's essentially a much improved version of EO3's combat study skill, since it doesn't force you to waste ten skill points and then rest when you want to actually use the character.