Why do you play game, Holla Forums?

For what reason did you decide that out of all mediums of entertainment, ranging from theatre to music to books, why did you decide that video games were the the one? Why do you still play them when it has become clear that publishers don't want to appeal to you and neither do the press, and both of them despise your existence? Why did you decide to defend a medium that is under attack ever since it's conception and at ever attempt where people dare to treat it professionally? And, for those making games, why did you decide that the job you wanted to do is make an interactive piece of software rather than take the easier task of making a TV show or producing art?

There's decades worth of good games I have yet to play. The industry can die tomorrow and I'll still be entertained for a long time to come.

I play them because they are the perfect storm of a multitude of art forms plus the joy of interactivity and competition. It's the best of all worlds - when done right.

Because I like playing them.

Because its fun.

Because they were there for me when nothing else was. And they're fun.

Sometimes the simplest answers are the best ones. Because they're fun.I have lots of fond and varied memories of games. Playing vidya with friends, experiencing a gripping story alone, exploring a beautiful world created by a team of passionate people. Its like asking someone why they'd read books.

How the hell did you do that?
The best I ever modded was changing Big Smoke from GTA:SA to Winnie The Pooh in cutscenes.

I feel that I have about fully established my philosophical views, as narcissistic as that may sound. Books and movies, when viewed from an intellectual perspective, only make me more stubborn about my dogma. Video games give me the chance to fail, which is infuriating, and it's also what drives me to do better the next time around.

They mix all of the entertainmment mediums together and then let me have actual input into that package.
They're all there aside from the last two which are optional.
Even the most shitty games had some passion put into them in a certain area.

I like to challenge myself and video games are the easiest way to do that.

Because video games expect something of me. Watching TV, reading books or listening to music are all fairly braindead experiences because you're being told what to experience. My understanding and mastery of the game I'm playing determine my experience and enjoyment of it.
You can easily stomach a TV series you don't like and get to the end of it. But if you only like Arena Shooters then you're not gonna make it to the end of Persona 5. The game curates it's own audience by being so unpalatable to those who wouldn't enjoy them that they won't play them. That, frankly, is just beautiful.
So many reasons to love video games.

I'd just like to mention that fucking no one would struggle to make it to the end of Persona 5.

Ditto.

Cause I have nothing else in my life and wish to die.

It quells the roaring emptiness inside me.

…briefly

At first it was because they were the best way to drown out my mom whoring herself out or screaming at whatever sleazebag she was "dating" that week. I stopped to think about it one day in college, though. I'd been there for months at that point and I still played them religiously but I hadn't thought about why. I guess I grew to like the competitive aspects of them. Beating other people, or beating your own high score. Even just seeing yourself improve over time is nice. That attitude carried over into my schoolwork, either way. Made really good grades because I would do every bonus assignment, put my all into every test, everything. I wanted to be the best.

I play everything recent and do not revisit my favorites because Holla Forums is full of a load of cocksucking heels that even if they appreciated it, they would be honest about it. Why bother when you're surrounded by semites.

Also this
Everything else is shit and I've been to 20 different countries.
If I could connect my consciouness to an Internet Mainframe and leave my mortal coil behind I would do it instantly.

I'd say the only thing impervious, is DOOM. Because of the antithesis of what I just said. Maybe dinosaur vidya too. They will never crack the code.

Nothing wrong with recent games
I bet you're refering to AAA shit though and are half baiting and half serious.

Because it appeals the most to autistic children

Same. I think I'd be a lot less miserable if I could shitpost 24/7, or even just have access to all that media as well as the time and energy to experience it.

Pokemon Red

I stopped playing games 5 years ago when I realized everything is shit.
Now I post about things I used to like.

I bet you're putting words in my mouth. You should get out of that habit. Because I have a whole epitaph for you and your like.

Where are all those words going to fit? Certainly not your mouth, going to have to make a much bigger, deeper hole.

It used to be the ideal past time when i was a kid, it was safe, got to play with many kids and make friends, and on the regular trips to the arcades i was also making some reputation and that felt great, specially at fighting games but also at some other games, nothing beats being on the cabinet fighting your rival and both groups of friends watching and cheering their pal. Fun times.
What hooked me up was the novelty of the medium, and the fact you could face challenges and mean monsters and stuff and have control over your adventure, while also getting rewards for developing skills, be it just points, more stages, or an ending.

Everyones waiting user
Show us your shit taste so everyone can laugh at how pathetic your shit taste is.

But I read books and listen to music just fine. I even watch the occasional movie. I play games because they're fun.

I think he means as the main hobby
Hes assuming everyone here is a vidya hobbyist which main pastime is playing videogames and rightfully so

How about you start a proper OP you sideways underheel piece of shit.

It literally says in the center of the screen that the audio file of the conversation has been deleted

That's the joke, you metafagoff. Are you lost? Did your godfather just show you this place yesterday? How is it, that edmoties are this unaware of themselves.

I didn't have close friends until I was 8 years old basically, only vidya and fantasy books, and those friends were basically my friends because of videogames, I spent my whole school years nerding about videogames, I downloaded demos, played countless hours of flash games, spend half an hour just looking gaming boxes that I would never buy in game stores and listened to hours and hours and hours of gaming podcasts. To be honest, I also nerded with movies, animes and such, but videogames had this special mark in me, I really can't explain why.

It feels weird tho, because even after all that I don't like 'em so much now, but I can't seem to depart from 'em. It's kinda funny really because people who are against videogames like to say they are a waste of time because you could be doing something better in life, but I can't really see what's so special about this "something better" thing, even if I was some kind of genius entrepreneur or some shit like that I still would probably reserve some time for vidya, I probably wouldn't feel anything if I discovered a cure for a plague or invented teleportation by accident. Don't get me wrong it's not like I dissociated completely from the "feeling of a man who brings his hunt to home", I still want to have a decent life, I don't want to be a parasite either, but that just feels like a side activity, something that every man must do one way or another, not something I feel compelled to do really.

I don't defend it, when I did, I didn't know half of bullshit that went behind the curtains: Corruption, Yakuza, Skinner boxes, scams, natural elimination of those who want to make good shit and all of this new shit going on now. I don't defend it, but it doesn't change that fact that I still like it

I think both of those last examples have that similar unlikely chance of success as vidya making. The famous millennials who "chase their dreams" all end up going for this kind of shit which makes supply and competition really inflated, so it really doesn't matter if I decided to make "movies" or "art", I would be fucked either way. Besides, I already have some experience with vidya both as an user and as a creator, even if it's small compared to some anons here, but in comparison to movies, for example, I really don't know shit about it. I don't know what's good acting, what's good photography, good directing, good editing, etc. I don't know what are the "real" classics and the "overrated" normalfag trash, maybe if I browsed Holla Forums I would understand more, but everytime I lurk there, there's only some abstract shitpost and """"waifuing""""".

To be honest with you, OP, I considered becoming a manga artist, it's a medium I learned to appreciate very recently and consumed with lots of passion, but I don't know how to draw, but /loomis/fags really motivate me to change my mind. Maybe someday.

Sorry for the blogpost, OP's post made me kinda of emotional.

They crave what is within the white man, self preservation, blood altruism, the darkest of the joke. Simply isn't going to happen by you. You have a parasite. One only a few solutions exist for anymore.

This interactive medium satisfies my escapist and entertainment needs quite well. Completing games also gives me a definite sense of accomplishment not found in linear forms of entertainment. Replaying a game is always a slightly different experience than how your previous playthrough was (compare 2 different let's plays of the same game, and they almost always different in some manner), unlike movies which offer same exact content on each rewatch with no changes whatsoever.

Yes, above all other mediums, gaming is the most entertaining out of all of them.

Because I like to, faggot.

Jewish chutzpah is all they have, and nothing beyond that. There's absolutely nothing there. Turn them inside out, look into their guts, ain't nothing but parasites that just don't want this problem.

There is literally nothing I enjoy more than acquiring mastery over something and applying it to overcome a problem, and videogames are good marxism-free way to do just that and unwind after a workout.

This problem. The one they started. Now, I'm just playing cool while it's all going. There's absolutely nothing that motivates me more than letting to die on this vine. Perhaps it is, my second hobby. You can ask about my third all day, and you will never. Ever. Have it.

Back then I would still watch movies/TV a bit, as well as play video games.
Because back then movies and TV show where still interesting, and games were challenging/interesting.

Now, only a few games are still challenging/interesting, and I'm only watching other older movies and series that I haven't seen when I was younger.

Beacuse I can do this, and then people say

This was a good post
Kind of encapsulates what I feel aside from
I still love them and while I am sad that better genres and more obscure stuff with more depth isn't the mainstream vidya anymore they're still around and some deliver very well despite a decade old stagnation.
Its everything around it and the botched potencial that I hate.
I understand that this is a commercial medium first and foremost, but you can still make great pieces of software and sell well, even if most of the budget is spent on marketing, these incompetent fucking executives in AAA companies simply choose not to so they can appease their braindead investors.
Unless its something like monetization of course.

Its ambition that lacking, not just in vidya too.

Rod Serling was a senile old man who took credit for other people's short stories

Just look at this skinwalker, thinks any memeshit applies anywhere. It don't matter because I'm already locked up in your head.

You can't get more obvious than moebvious. Smell it a mile away.

Been hell and gone since it was either cute or funny. There are other boards that still appreciate it. I'm sure you know where they are, if you got here.

what the fuck are you talking about in any of your posts?

games are fun and they activate that monkey part of my brain that likes fun better than other entertainment mediums, its not fucking rocket surgery

Why are you asking questions you know the answers to?

Actual stage shows are pretty good but cost way too much. Movies are mostly predictable garbage and I'm a racist bigot so all the homosexuals and race mixing and slander of traditional values just grinds me up the wrong way and stops me from enjoying it. Television is much the same. Cramming propaganda into everything drove me away from mass media entertainment.
I still listen to music occasionally but the radio is mostly ads and modern music consists mostly of grunts and yelling instead of singing and screeching electronic noise instead of music. Older stuff is still pretty good. Currently on a binge of 80s japanese disco and before that was blues.
I read books on my break at work. Working through some of the classics - HG Wells, Asimov, Heinlein… Having a great time reading through them and really helps to get my brain working. The biggest problem with film and tv is that everything is handed to you on a platter. There is no need for imagination for anything to get the entertainment out of it. No need to insert what voices you think the characters would have, no need to interpret their tone, no need to imagine their looks or movements. The only thing that might be needed is figuring out the plot twists but for the most part they follow a very basic and predictable story or they try to "out smart" the audience and make it nonsense. Books require a lot more input from the reader to be enjoyed.
I like them because they require interaction and are a challenge. I'm not interested in brainless instant gratification. There are many games out there that are complete trash for the same reasons I don't like the things above but just because it is a medium I prefer over others does not make it good by default. I only play games (or watch shows, read books, listen to music) I enjoy and don't bother with trash.
I don't care if some faggot thinks he can dictate what I am allowed to enjoy. If they try to sell me garbage they won't get a cent and the fault is entirely their own.
Everything is under attack constantly. There are no exceptions.

but I don't know the answer.

That's on you, shitmaster. But, I'd suggest you never change.

I was sickly as a kid, so going outside and having adventures wasn't always possible. Books were great too, but the feeling of having actual control and going off and wandering Hyrule myself and letting my 5 year old imagination turn the 16x16 sprites in to terrifying pig men was fucking epic.
Also, my older brother was in to games so I had some already at hand I didn't have to beg for, and I had a big bro to help me with some tough parts, to do it first and show me the way, never to just do it for me, so I could be just like my big bro and be awesome at games.
I still play games because Nintendo is still (sometimes) making those games I love, and there are some decent indie devs and niche publishers putting out the kind of content I've loved since the 80's. A lot of it is bullshit pandering but it's easy enough to scrape off the surface layer of memes and nostalgia pandering to see that there's fucking nothing underneath but tumblr level ass gas.
I also hate the vidya and realise I would have mastered different types of art like painting and piano if I hadn't succumbed to the electric jew and the japanese digital revenge.

You are indeed a monkey with an analysis such as that.
Everyone can say something is fun
Not everyone can explain what makes it fun.

Because through all the shitty events of my life, vidya was there. Never judging, only wanting to be with me, she taught me the value of hard work and self improvement and the joy of finding reward in accomplishment. Thus, I in turn will never leave her.
Vidya is my waifu.

I didn't. I read and write music, I read lots of books, I have learned 3 languages and am learning two more, and I love theater. Why would you assume that everybody here is as ambitionless as yourself.

I don't care about publishers or the press. As long as there are good games to play, why wouldn't I play them?

I'll defend it for the same reason I'd defend any sport or art. It's entertainment, and there is real quality to be found.

I'm offended that you assume all of modern music is radio pop, dubstep, and metal. Out of all the millions of people making and distributing music right now (for free or otherwise), you assume that it's all the shit you hear on the radio? Sure, it's not as easy to find now that what.cd is dead, but it's out there.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

there is literally nothing wrong with metal

… schizo user? Is that you?

Second.

I'm not sure about you guys. Did you think I left?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with metal. I love tons of metal, especially folk metal like Trollfest, Equilibrium, and Butterfly Temple, and space metal like Hum. There's a soft spot in my heart for good black metal too, and I'll get down any day to some good stoner metal like Fuzz or Sleep (Electric Wizard's Dopethrone is still one of the best stoner metal albums ever written). What I have a problem with is most of the metal you hear on the radio, which is almost exclusively terrible, bland nu-metal.

I definitely know from those skinwalkers that show up late, thinking there's a cropse to eat upon. Nah, it's bad when one has to reveal their power level on the board. You all generally know what they are sitting on. It ain't vidya gaems.

Maybe you shouldn't make the assumption that videogames are my sole hobby, you piece of shit.

Main
Not sole

What did he mean by this?

Hah no.

I could tell you outright, but we're on Holla Forums, aren't we? I told everyone I took the month of exactly for what. Now.

fuck off schizo user.

Sorry, that's not happening. Bar non speaking to madness and just quite able enough to be a hunter.

You want to see what's in my cabinet? Where should we start? I won't tell anyone why they started me, but it don't stop. It's older than imageboards, I'll give you that much.

I do want to see user, show us.

You see this? This is what got me out of the institution, so start taking it, brain boy.

This is exceptionally non-vidya, so. Stop.

You first.

Again, here they go.

We're not going anywhere.

You keep implying mental illness on an imageboard. I never stop. I outright know you never came from here.

Just NPCs reacting as they have been trained to react. Nothing new, and smell like not my kind.

You're not getting anything more out of this. I'd suggest you get back to your fuckoff hobby, if that is really what you're here fore. You, know. Video games.

I've been here since the first Exodus, just because you're a schizo doesn't magically change that fact. I understand what it is like to deal with mental illness, I have bipolar 1 disorder and I've been institutionalized several times throughout my life, My most recent episode, I was convinced that reality was a simulation, and started mass hallucinating a false reality where I was able to make my fiance into a god like entity, where he was able to control the universe manifesting before my very eyes.

You're not alone, but seriously consider for a moment that what you believe might not actually be true. Get help.

What sort of animal is this?

Why do you make shitty threads OP? what could you possible get of making a datamining thread for blogposting faggots and attention whore 4am retards to blogpost? What would you even gain from creating another shit thread where video games are not point of the disucussion but the the one who play them? Why would you make another shit thread where the main topic of the board is used as an excuse to to talk about asinine shit that nobody cares?

This board has only existed for 4 years dude.

Fares, who has worked in both film and gaming media, said it best.
Interactive works have the advantage of moving an audience in ways others never can.
FUCK THE (((OSCARS)))

And no, it's not about beliefs. It's literally what is in my cabinet. Just a haunting catacomb of closed cases. Video games made me what this is.

You got here, but still don't understand. Why are we still on me?

You're either not explaining, or don't understand yourself.

It would be foolish to assume video games are the only type of media I consume.

No matter what happens to the industry, the games I play aren't going to be affected because they already exist, most for a long time.

I don't defend shit that doesn't bear defending. Games exist in a vacuum, each independently judged and possibly enjoyed.

There is no such thing as "indie film" or "indie TV shows" or even really independently published books that can allow someone who isn't part of some giant company to make craptons of money and reach millions of people. If you want to do this, video games are the only way.

Now you get it. The expanse of it all and what I may be today. Not really a cipher, to anyone close to me. This is why I work. Just look at what you all are doing around me.

I have a little impression that he was a failure in holywood and needed to compensate elsewhere.

Keeps me from committing suicide. I can forget about life for an hour or two a day.

Because it's fun.
Because it's even more fun.

W-we just do, alright?

Now get the fuck out of here before I shove this box of Apple Jacks so far up your ass that you'll be vomiting 10 essential vitamins and minerals.

I'll never tell them my favorite. They can make accusations all day.

Yeah, he probably didn't commit enough rape to qualify for Hollywood.

They keep me busy when I have nothing to do, I'd much rather listen to music though.

Who wants to know?

I only come on here to shitpost. Plus I'm making a game myself so I don't suckle on AAA tit.

it is literally all I hear on the radio other than ads and even the good radio stations that play tolerable stuff are 50% ads which I can't stand. I've found music I like and appreciate a mix of genres but it doesn't make it to the radio. I refer to "modern music" as popular in recent memory, not all encompassing of every piece made this decade.
The only place I know of to look for music is youtube. If there's a better alternative I'm all ears.

I played video games since I was 3 with a Genesis. I have little to no reason other than I still enjoy them to this day and will still enjoy them tomorrow.
Because I don't care for publishers. I pirate a lot of my games and buy used unless it's from a developer I want to support. As for the press, fuck them.
What media hasn't been under attack since it's conception?

I lik to kill niggers and jews.
Video games are the perfect training tool for this.

When I was younger, I wasn't into music that much but that was just more due to my peers listening to things that didn't appeal to me. As an introvert I spent most of my time alone. Video games and reading books were good activities to spend alone but unlike books, vidya demands more from the consumer and engages them in multiple ways.

The masses always fear new entertainment like this. Like when rock and metal was evil that poisoned children's minds. Or how the television would microwave our brains. They never bothered to understand it so they lashed out at it. As for publishers, I usually play more niche games and haven't touched AAA garbage in ages. As for the press, I don't give a shit. They don't have to take games seriously for me to still enjoy them.

No need to. I just enjoy it that's it. If I cared about these people's opinions so much, I wouldn't be the happy degenerate I am now.

Besides look how things have turned around in 2 decades. Vidya used to be hated by the masses and "only for kids" and now it's bigger than Hollywood. Not that it's a good thing mind you. We used to have less cancerous practices when vidya was niche.

Because occasionally I tire of doing outside stuff and want to slink away from hell itself for only a brief bit.

Fuck out of here

no

To momentarily fill the raging nihilistic emptiness inside myself.

Nothing from literature, theatre, and television seems appealing.
I still listen to music.
You would be surprised about how hard it is to make a TV show or movie. My friend wanted to direct films, but ultimately couldn't because the field requires connections to get in. So he opted for game development.

Ultimately for me, the appeal is not the story, plot, or characters; all of which movies, literature, theatre heavily depend on. If a game were solely that, I would get equally bored with a game.

Gr8 joke, m8

Because they're fun. Or at least they used to be. And I'm a bit lazy.
Why would you read a book if you get a little story on the side with a game?
Why would you watch a movie if you can get the same "cinematic experience" that you can pause and play at your own leisure instead of having to pay exorbitant amount of money to see a movie in a theater or slug your way through commercials on TV?
Why buy CDs, cassettes or vinyl records if you're going to be sitting home anyway and develop a taste for chiptunes instead?
Thing is, vidya can encompass a lot of different entertainment genres and mediums, but it can never truly replace them; I still watch movies and read a book occasionally (I fall asleep after only a couple of pages unless it's a really captivating story) and recently started collecting vinyl records something comfy about having an analog medium in a digital world.
Here's my conundrum though: I've amassed a massive backlog and the means to play all these games, but I'm 25. My free time is getting scarcer every day with multiple part time jobs and uni work. At one point or another I will have to settle down with a 3dpd and the chances of her being cute, sane, motherly for our children and into vidya as well are only calculable in theoretical metaphysics.
What will I do with my amassed riches, the ~1000 titles of fun and adventure? Do I pass them on to my kids? Who knows what they'll turn out like? What if the reverse of my fathers disappointment comes true and my son loves to play soccer and hook up with every tramp that's got daddy issues? What if my daughter becomes a retro 3rd wave feminist and will hate my guts and everything I love and stand for? I'm sure I'll still love them with all my heart and try to raise them to be the best human beings they can be and reach their potential.

But what if I never have fun again?

They let me do stuff on my own and make my own path, or at least they used to.

There's decades of games I haven't played, and if it comes to it I could replay my favorite games alone for a few years.
I don't give a shit about publishers and I don't give a shit about the "industry".

I don't defend it. I do what I want, and if normalfags have a problem with that they can go be a normalfag somewhere else.

Because I love games and modern games are shit because they're made by hordes of soyboys led by MBAs rather than people actually passionate about them. I want to have games I enjoy and I want people like me to have games they enjoy, and that's why I'm trying to make games.
It's also a nice distraction from contemplating societal-wide entropy as seen in the entirety of the West.

interactive mediums are the future entertainment, there is no escaping it, i didn`t choose this voluntarily, i choose because i knew it

good experiences where i can contribute also help

I am, not because it's hard, but because the pacing is trying my patience. I like it overall, though.

The simple answer is that most people just want something simple and watered down to listen to, even if it's in a genre like metal - this is unfortunately something we can't escape from and you simply have to live with the fact people favor bands like Slipknot over what you might like because most people just want to listen to whatever's blasted at them ad nauseum by the radio.
It's terrible, but that's just how it is.

They're entertaining.
More than that, I cannot say, as it depends largely on what game I play.

My niggers.

There's literally nothing wrong with any music, beyond that some are more commonly complete and total trash.

user, you can't say that about anything, since nothing is perfect, unless we're talking about mathematical terms.

Video games
>my fetish requires me to be familiar with a character before I can jerk off to her
>good source of cute furry girls, my other fetish

That's what I mean, though. Modern art is a great example of this, actually. Most of it is complete and total trash. Or, as I had said, it is much more commonly complete and total trash.
There's nothing wrong necessarily with modern art, as a concept. It's just that it attracts mainly shit.

A burger can be cooked by a retard and taste like total ass. A more difficult dish might be more likely to be cooked poorly, and taste like ass, but that doesn't mean those dishes are necessarily bad.
It's the execution that's the problem. I don't say "I hate all rap" because some of it is decent. I say "Most of rap is trash", because it is.

I think you're confusing two different concepts here. A lot of things can sound good on paper, but are either inherently flawed in an unforeseen way or in their execution. Sure, modern music can sound fine and deliver a good message, but we know it's mostly lazy work, repeating of the same 3 cords and precalculated rhythms that are guaranteed to get stuck in peoples' heads so it can be sold.
That doesn't mean a concept is perfect, if it were, there wouldn't be a way to corrupt or abuse it in any way, shape or form since it's perfect. Perfection is a concept, an infinity of variables that are taken into account are impossible to predict since with larger complexity we get more problems. And even if we keep things simple, they can be dismantled just as simply as their design is.

Sorry for the word salad at the end.

That's what I'm saying though. I'm not saying that "modern music" is perfect, here. I'm just saying it isn't bad. Executions of it can be good, executions of it can be bad.

How can there be nothing wrong with garbage then?

The garbage is bad. The idea behind the garbage is not bad. It's just that the garbage was poorly done.

Basically, I'm just saying not all rap is shit even though the majority of it is shit.

Video games are fun.

I replay old games I like I do not like new games. Made a huge mistake buying a new game the other day deeply regret it and will not buy it again.

This thread is the closest i've seen this place come to >>>/cuckchan/ in some time now
>>>/go/
>>>/back/

I never got into any other hobbies. Video games are what I stuck with.
Because there exists a world beyond AAA publishers and my playing video games has nothing to do with publishers in the first place, they were never your "friend" in any capacity. Let's not even talk about game journalists, they have no hand in my enjoyment of video games at all so they may as well not exist. Kind of a stupid question, to be honest. They can hate 'us' all they want and it won't make a difference.
Because I enjoy vidya, OP, you (1) and done faggot. Video games aren't the only thing 'under attack' so we're not special in that regard. The people that enjoy it even more than me and decide to make it their career will still make good video games with or without publishers.

I'm not sure what the point of your questions are when you haven't joined the discussion beyond making the thread, so I'll just call you a faggot.

Vidya has always been a part of mankind, the people back then got bored sometimes and tried to take away such feeling by many means, ranging from drugs to autisticly getting focus in something.
Games are in its basic just that, a means to drive away the boredom through a crafty mecanism done with the same basis as before but with the learnings of past mistakes constantly being add in, as a way of challenge by its creator trying to perfect its craft.
In a way, it is just like alcool but for a different reason to be, as both can lead to some kind of fun but for only a certain frame of mind.
Hey, as some space anime would say, alcool has been the friend of humanity since forever. One time or the other we will take a ride by the other frames and might get caught on to something we found nice, heck, it might even be kids first game, some communal thing or some abstract concept that is out there, it is not a answer that would blow ones mind but, well, i just got bored and tried to find something new on my life for once, even if it might be weird to some.
It cant be that hard to get that one thing leads to another, vidya leaded eventually to communities such as 4ch and ultimatily 8ch, not because of the games themselfs but the people that play them, we are all humans after all, social life might be weak on some but the will for so still exists, somewhere.

Wow Maudlin of the well, you're such an individual, way to step away from the crowd.
Fucking idiot plebs I swear.

Well come on, I know you can shit on more than just 2 people. I berieve in you, user!

You're an faggot and your shits all retarded.

If this thread was anything close to cuckchan we would be having every post be
Coupled with
OP despite being a (1) and done isn't a cuckchan crossposter as well since his post is well formatted and goes straight to the point while giving out his point of view and questions, plus his 11 MB webm and actually filling the subject field.

This isn't a bad thread at all
Actually vidya discussion is happening.

i play different genres and types of games for different reasons. doesnt everyone?

Video games offer what other forms of entertainment cannot and vice versa. I do watch TV/movies, read books occasionally and listen to music, but the signal to noise ratio sucks more and more each day, just as it does in the video game industry.

Me play game because joy

Because I love the feeling of mastering a game's mechanics, beating a challenge or doing something a developer didn't intend. Sure, I might also enjoy the atmosphere and the characters developing the plot, but if I'm not directly invested in it it's not the same. Text and moving pictures with sound don't make me feel involved like a good videogame does.
Fuck 'em. I won't buy their shit and they can't stop me from replaying Blood or Doom. I can't make them stop existing, but I can completely my support for them and as minuscule as that effect is, I intend to do that.
Read first answer.
Read first answer.

I don't play games; I only lurk Holla Forums and code. :-/

Why do you think rock music sounds old to 12 yos? It sounded real new, to adults 60 years back. And in 20 years, all current fads will appear old to young people who never even saw them appear.

There has to be something true, about the collective unconscious being a thing.

I read books when I'm taking a shit.
I listen to music whole walking/working/browsing the webs.
I watch movies/shows when there's something worthwhile to watch.

I play vidya when I want to enjoy my time.

That screencap is retarded, all that outsider self congratulation. They might as well add reddit to their "watering holes" if 4chan and Holla Forums are the most they "wander"

Except for that cringe group that you posted.

for some reason my thread got deleted so I'm posting this here, even though I thought it was even more relevant to video games than this because mine wasn't making the assumption that playing video games is inherently some kind of cancerous identity that people willfully choose and adopt, and can be instead treated separately from that:

I think the only thing that's really keeping me from just pirating every game is social network/social network + DRM plaftforms. Meaning steam, origin, gog galaxy, shit like that. But it's cancerous and there's no point to it. Is it sensible to say that doing shit like this is just some kind of superficial identity making? Or at least much more significantly and overtly than just pirating and playing games that you may or may not have much interest in?

I play games because games are fun. I also read books because books are fun (or informative, as the case may be). I avoid movies and TV because they're shit, and I don't really have the option of indulging in plays because almost no one does them anymore here (and the ones that they do put on kind of suck).

Are you talking about shit like getting achievements and collecting those Steam cards?

Yes, that and just having a profile in the first place. Even if it's private; if it's not in complete social isolation to others, meaning no friends, not visible by others, never made any comments anywhere on the whole platform, it kind of ties into that social profile that shouldn't impact the person's playing habits in any significant way, otherwise it begs the question how much of the person is really playing games because of the entertainment, enjoyment, fun etc. and how much is it about their life in some retarded abstract way. When someone is faced with thinking about this and can't see the distinction with utter clarity then it's cancer, must be. Of course it's also possible for a person to play games, and have a visible profile and still not care about it in the slightest, the purchasing of games in that case being justified by morals taught growing up and maybe even inability/incompetence regarding pirating shit. That would be really playing games because they want to have fun. Think about just playing offline single-player games in total social alienation/neethood without internet, friends, family, relatives to talk about the subject of video games and no incentive to do so. That would be just playing games to play games, and the complete opposite of a superficial identity

You're in for a huge dissapointment. Games don't age like other mediums. Not art.

Okay, so what's the point you're trying to make?

I don't like TV or theater or music because they aren't engaging at all, and they eat up time at a fixed rate (unless you pause it, and then there's a distinct "breaking of the flow" that happens). They're not interactive at all, and it feels dead. I only watch anime occasionally, but it's something I like doing less than video games.

Books are OK, I feel like I'm imagining a thing when I read them which is at least something. Also, you can put a book down and pick it back up without any real break in the flow.

That's funny because I can pick up an old-ass game and not only enjoy the fuck out of it, but enjoy it MORE than modern shit. If anything I think the good games age very well in a sense (if you're willing to look beyond muh graphics). As for games being art, I actually think some games qualify as art in the same way a good book or movie would qualify, and not in the shitty "modern art" fashion but in the "this actually possesses significant artistic merit in writing/audio design/etc." fashion that actually makes something qualify as art.

It should be noted that games being considered art is not a bad thing. Germany doesn't consider vidya to be art and look what they do to their vidya. The problem was never the definition of games as art, the problem was the redefinition of crap as art (this is largely the post-modernists' fault).

So. You found yourself out. This capitulating is very well known by old women around these parts. Do you want me to just hand you the shovel, or?

that if you're on Holla Forums, know that buying games is cancer, and still do it, you're a retarded superficial normalfag for whom playing video games is more of an identity than something you do for yourself (identity being about how others perceive you)

I have IBS so whenever I do something outside my house I'm 5 seconds away from possibly shitting my pants.

Maybe, then again some people just fall for consumerism and the happy feels they get when they buy something(even if it's just a temporary license).

What's that?

Irritable bowel syndrome.

I'm sure the sense of satisfaction you get from never making yourself understood is immense

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I read books, listen to music, and write and play music. I occasionally watch movies.
Vidya is not the only medium I'm into. I'm not a robot.

i guess you've never been to any (((""""stageplay"""))) recently?

I thought you meant "shitting my pants" in a more figurative manner and you had some sort of anxiety/fear disorder. Still a bad thing I guess.

You are on point about that. It's not for me, though. So far from anything being about me, and certainly not you.

If you really are looking to figure it out. How would I even get back on earth? I'll give you one bit. Things went so deep and criminal, my soul outright escaped. And, it don't much matter to me now. The collective parts of me, are just out for justice.

That's true for basically every hobby out there.

I have an addiction.

anime for brains

How would that ever apply? I don't care for moeshit, but it has its place for some. I can understand how that puts certain individuals at peace. Problem about me, is I never fit in prison. There are a few anons smoked similarly.

What the fuck is this? It sounds like a bad Google Translate output or some shit.

Never cease, they obviously got their pay again.
THIS
Particular animal thinks it is me. They found the wrong one to attempt to put handlebars on.

Are we being raided by a bot or some shit? What the fuck is this crap?

Clearly a bot. Not sure what the point is.

It's just schizo user.

I've never seen a bot like this, though. It's sort of like a Markov chain bot, except Markov chain bots make more sense.

Feels bad man…

If they want on that particular ride, they're going to stop cursing. That promise is me and the ride. You want to figure out how and why I am? We're going to have something nigh criminal in the open, if so. You. Just put your toes in the river. You're not wading on the slippery stones. Yes, I invite trouble no matter what is already with me. Accute distraction is how I work best.

Now, you have all the secrets in the wild.

Right, I'm just going to hide his incoherent blather. Fuck's sake, what's the point? We're trying to talk about vidya and some autist has to shit it up with a schizoposting bot.

Is it Bui again? I swear to fucking god, furfags are always fucking cancer

Nah, bui would not stop at just one thread, and we've had visits from schizo user before.

It is what it is, user. What the deep makes you. Your, sideways bullshit doesn't miss what you're on. I know exactly how regular you think you are. Nothing more boring than a to the book psychopath.

You can claim madness all day, and trying to figure out normal english amongst yourselves. Why you don't bother, is because it goes deep. For the few who decided to play the game.

Most of them know better than to make themselves known. But, there is a few. Again. That want on the ride.

That is one of the most contradictory things I've ever read.

kill yourself stormnigger

False OP is a (1) faggot, the thread reeks of cuckchan,reddit,and any other normalfag site, if you really think a bunch of faggots talking about themselves and their lives decisions is not only vidya discussion but actually fun then you should kill yourself or go to any of the other fucking gaymen communities where all threads are exactly like this one, bunch of fags merely using vidya to justificate talking about themselves and participating in pointless socials interactions for the sake of it.

but he's a fagg(3)t

But all of these things are fucking great you philistine.

Cool opinion. :^)

Utter dogshit.
But I listen to music.
But I read books (though, being the pretensious twat that you are, you'd probably say that I'm wrong for reading enjoyable genre fiction instead of boring, poorly written "literature").

to escape

i dont

There is nothing more fun than reading historical accounts of war campaigns and non-fiction books of real situations.

To suffer.

Are you implying all other genres are boring?
Also if you're going to insult someone you should propably do it properly or you will just end up looking like an idiot yourself. It's "pretentious".

Completely missing the point there, mister mature.

I don't just play video games, and I don't play contemporaneous games.

I played games to get away from the normalfags. Now that the normalfags have entrenched themselves in my fucking hobby I have been working on reading my book backlog, playing games that have fallen off the radar or has a skill barrier of entry. That and my gunpla keeps me sane.

Shit was fun so I just did it. I've always just done shit that's fun.
Shit's fun. Why would I do something that's not fun? What the fuck is wrong with you, OP? You some kind of faggot or something?

datamining thread

You've lost your goddamn mind. Assuming for a moment your premise is correct and games are harder to make than a TV show or "art" (I have a feeling you're wrong on this one) they're entirely different skill-sets. I can't just take all my programming skill and use it to paint a picture. Can't respec in life. If only it worked like you apparently think it does. We'd all be horrible monsters, excellent at useful things and awful at mundane things.
To answer the spirit of your question, though, video games are my life and always have been. They offer the player the chance to DO SOMETHING COOL. Not read about something cool, not watch something cool, but DO SOMETHING cool. All games are simulators, in this way, and that is why they fucking rule. In games, you can be a cell, a fish, a man, a city, a world, a god. This is what I love, this is what I want to bring to other people like me - and if people unlike me enjoy it, then that's nice too.
Add this to the fact that video games, as a medium, are absolutely rotting to the bone. The culprit being the Chinks, the Communists and the Corporate-types. I feel that it's important to play doctor and patch it up with some good games (or, at the very least, something that isn't pure poison like the aforementioned CCC)