What game does Paranoia well?

What game does Paranoia well?

Some games can pull off feelings of vertigo, dread or apprehension, not many seem to be able to pull off true paranoia.

I recently borrowed my friends xbone just to see some 4K blu rays to see how it looks. While borrowing it i tried out a few games and ending up trying Prey. I never bought it even though i liked the original quite a bit for what it was. Like many Bethesdas horseshit totally put me off. Giving it a try one thing in what felt like a Bioshock clone stood out however and that was the mimics. An enemy that could become any object in the room. Every so often you would see one as you round a corner scuttle over to a chair to turn into another chair, mumble 'ohyoumotherfucker' and beat the shit out of it with a wrench. It was an interesting idea where you aren't afraid of a monster, aren't prepared for set spawns in set locations. You are in what looks like an empty room wondering what in front of you will try to attack.

In the case of prey it didn't take long before i realised 'this is just going to be an object check game isnt it?' and quit. It made me think about other certain games though. Stuff like The Thing on PS2 for example. Games where part of the experience is worrying when a friend might become an enemy. Trouble is all i can think of is mediocre games that never get it right.

Can you name a single game that does paranoia well?

Call of Cthulu was a'ight

the first silent hill

Five nights at Freddy's

Any game SHOULD be capable of doing it very well, since one of the simplest things to do is have objects appear/disappear whenever users move between rooms (or whatever) and textures change subtly between visits, but have object permanence and ability to recognize collections of textures be VITAL to the player succeeding in the game. Gaslighting on a world map scale, is what I'm saying. Video games should be able to pull that off superbly, but I've never seen one do it.

I thought it was pretty good at paranoia, especially at the beginning where you just entered town, not knowing what to expect. Then the camera switches perspective from detective man to some unknown thing watching him from above. That gave me some serious paranoia in all honesty.

Subnautica, silent Hill 2, resident evil 7, all of those are subjective but I find those pretty good.

Paranoid of how much time you were about to lose from the next crash + the consoletrash save system put in place so you can't mitigate all the time lost to crashes with frequent saves, as well as lengthy, unskippable cutscenes.

Definitely that.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Nier:Automata.

MGSV.

Danganonronpa beta

I do think the first game did it well.

First day of Pathologic.

Also, this one.

I do believe that the Amnesia series did this rather well. Despite being Walking Sims, they're so utterly dripping with atmosphere and intrigue that they keep you just on edge. Probably the best in the genre, and one of the few that get it right.

I got the the part of the game where you first hide under the bed? Does it pick up from there because the only thing I feel from this game is the urge to stare at the main characters huge boobs.
I mean they are great.

I kinda of quitted when I realized it's basically an adventure but with a persistent enemy that roams the map and hunts you if he ever lays eye on those melons. I really got creeped out, you can hit up with this pic related motherfucker anywhere, that's what it makes it so scary. Also, there's a sanity meter, I've never played enough to find out what happens when you get your mind fried.

Btw, I heard that clock tower does something similar, so one more to the list, OP.

Doki Doki Literature Club.
It ruins it if I explain why, but this VN fucks you up.
If you can get into it blindly, I recommend it.

Oh, another one, OP, never played this one, but I heard that it basically randomizes the culprit in every run you play, so you basically who to trust, even if you already beat the game once.

I thought on recommending this one, but I really did not find so much unnerving, or paranoia inducing in the strict sense, maybe I'm fucked up in the head.

Fix'd.

Can't be done when you faggots have kept openly spoiling it for months now, so much for VN lovers hu? faggots all of you

Quit crying, niggerfaggot

Aw what the fuck, really?
The only enemy is Sloth from the goonies who just hunts around for them succulent tits?
I thought it had more enemies.

Luigi's Mansion

Can't confirm this, as I've said I quit after some hours.

I played it a few days ago without knowing anything but the basic "this game is actually creepy" information, that you can't really avoid because the game itself has disclaimers when you run it that it isn't suitable for children and pussies.

Except that's actually difficult to pull off because the average user has the attention span of a goldfish. Leaving you with scenarios like Madison where you constantly have noises or objects being moved or doors being slammed shut but you quickly realize that none of them signal any danger, and games like Scratches where you spent three hours searching for the next item combo that triggers the next event.

ss13 playing against competent changelings
i've ended up killing my fair share of innocent niggers due to changeling shenanigans

eversion did it better

counter strike

Nah, there's a couple of different enemies that hunt you in different chapters of the game - Sloth, creepy doll lady my dick, holy shit, saddler-looking dude and the 'final boss'.

How is Amnesia a series when it only has 2 games and a dlc? You sound like a Jewtube faggot.

I remember Penumbra having some random shit involved, I started a playthrough and didn't see a enemy with 10 minutes of play. Then, I started another and there was some dogs or ghost dogs dunno in like 3min of play. Wtf.

Series refers to any number of titles that appear in a sequence, it doesn't define how many are necessary to qualify, only more than one, and everyone sounds like a Jewtube Faggot unless they start spouting shitposts like "Hey Holla Forums."
These were my first horror games, and I enjoyed them personally.
Why does it feel like you have to fight tooth and nail every step of the way for even mildly liking any game made past 2007 on here unless it was New Vegas or Dork Souls?

Trips for truth

The mimics in DishonoredShock aren't really the main adversary, so they aren't overused.

I could swear OP asked for games.

Kane & Lynch multiplayer, trouble in terrorist town.

this

Shit/10

eve online

Yes, no game that I've played yet has captured that feeling of isolated imminent doom that sitting in your seamoth in open water in the dunes region brings. Distant growl, creaking sounds, and your tiny bubble.

I alt-tabbed that shit so fucking fast

My first venture was similar there.

I can't wait until 1.0, what a good game.

on an alternate note, has anyone who played No Man's Sky noticed that it's like a lazier and stretched-thin version of Subnautica? Even the assets seem familiar. It's like NMS is the 'ideas guy' to Sub's 'detail-guy'

Any game where you're being chased by something, and where the rules of their movement are clearly defined and bounded but otherwise impossible for you to mitigate or corral.
That shittily slapped together meme game SCP Containment Breach is pretty fucking good at that, to the point that it's hard to force yourself to move again once you find somewhere that seems safe.

Also, special "fuck you" to any stealth/horror game that gives audio stings when you're noticed by something, but no further audio cues for their continued interest in you. Are they still onto you? Are they coming? You don't know. You'll never know.

Well, yeah, Haunting Ground is a spiritual successor to Clock Tower. Apparently Remothered, that remake of Clock Tower, came out as a completely new game recently, too.

That's a good one too.
Doki Doki made me feel much more paranoid, though.

worth it?

well I don't know which two games you talking about,
but from my comprehension I would said other horror games from the same developer, and there was more than 2

I dearly like these games, but I wouldn't call them Paranoia inducing, rather more atmospheric horror
>observer on the other hand, follows a similar formula but more focused on the paranoia it seems

Poor Geoff. Divorced and subsisting on banana popsicles. Working at a place he hates, but can't ever quit from.

Nah, sorry, this game just got boring after a while.

Fuck. Meant to reply to this guy.

I've heard from people that really like the movie that it "gets it" very well
Haven't played it since it's a point and click and I'm not a big fan of the genre

Firewatch. Too bad it's shit.

Alien Isolation on Hard was actually decent at this. The paranoia part comes when you can hear the Alien walking around in the vents and you have no idea if he's going to pop in for a quick snack. It does not help that other human looters are fucking morons in a kinda neat "I'm the only person who knows what's going on" horror movie sorta way and might do things that attract the Alien like breathe too loudly. And occasionally the game will throw in a scripted trap, like a pressurized pipe exploding, which alerts the Alien to keep you on your toes. Unfortunately most of the rest of the game wasn't that amazing, but interacting with the Alien is the majority of the game so I still liked it.

plesantly suprised bretti gud

the first part of call of cthulu wasn't bad, with all the fish-headed innsmouth residents giving you the stinkeye. the rest of the game after you get a gun is fucking garbage

I'd take it one step further and say that the shitty "stealth" section right after they go hostile at the hotel is where the game shit the bed.

When did that happen?

Griffon dumped him and is transitioning to a man.

JUST
She's not taking Geoff's daughter away from him is she?

MGSV, it's pretty much what the whole game is about, especially once you look up what Ishmael injects you with in the beginning of the game, and once you realize what's going in your cigars.
Also, Kaz's whole fucking character arc in that game.

Get a Gamecube and then get Eternal Darkness: Salinity's Requiem.

Digoxin? tbh that never really made sense to me

There's more enemies, just the first portion of the game you get hunted by quasimodo because he wants some of those tits, after that more stuff happens. Also the game has some death scene moments if you fuck up.

To get him physically mobile immediately after waking from a decade-long coma, user.

So what's in the cigars (that I have never used in hundreds of hours of playtime)?

I want to say Dead Space did paranoia in about the worst way possible. The only time you ever feel truly paranoid is when you know there's an undefeatable enemy somewhere on the ship and you don't know when it'll find you. But once you hit the new game plus, it's lost all it's majesty.

Yeah but wouldn't the digoxin put him at a risk of actually slowing his heart beat and possibly killing him? (Bear with me I'm not a medicalfag)

AvP 2 (2001)

I never figured out if the room with the transformation SCP was safe from the potato fetus.

Dead Space 1 and 2

theres a fantastic bit in 2 that sends you back to the ishimura, and doesn't throw a single enemy at you until you're a fair bit through
I think the first time playing through that part does paranoia absolutely perfectly, especially if you're familiar with the original, but again, it suffers from needing a virgin experience, after that the magics gone

That was fun though

The only good paranoia moments I remember from Dead Space were when you find the half-transformed guardians, and they don't do shit to you, but you're always expecting them to do something, and the times you walk past the drag tentacle holes, and you're waiting for it to jump you and fuck your asshole, but it never does.

I thought most of the game was fun, with only one or two low points, usually when I'd get stuck on a puzzle. It was one of the few games that I enjoyed stealth mechanics in.

Once it happens it keeps dumping shit on you user, it's more of a jump scare fest than paranoia. It is creepy as I was lucky to go and play it before it exploded in popularity and my hair was standing up for a good while.
Irisu syndrome is a better game in that category for fucking with the player, but also having a good amount of creepiness.

Did anyone actually finish that one game "the nameless game" on the Nintendo DS?

By far the best part of DS2. It was always stood out to me just because it had the forced atmosphere of the first game. Hallucinating scares from DS1 was a nice touch to it, too.

I remember when you had to revisit areas with Guardians in them. I always let my guard down when revisiting, thinking they wouldn't harm me, only to get killed by them almost immediately. Loses the magic once you understand it, but a first-timer can really have their hair stand up with those things.

Breaking the 4th wall is only scary when it is done once or twice, not when half of the entire fucking thing is based around it.

I agree with you, but only as far as the first playthrough. Once you have a sense for spawns and routes, there's less uncertainty.

Second Sight

I think that was the only time where i went "nononono" while groaning, horrible feeling.

Can't hear it in the vacuum of space!

First playthrough of 1 and 2 stuck with me, creepy.

The thread just stated how it did a shit job at that. Dead Space 1+2 are action horror games.
They're about as spooky as Jason X.

nanashi no geemu, and yeah its good shit.

Scrolling past this thread gave me a bit of paranoia

>the whole game is based on the past, and the present is actually just a precognitive look at the the future
None of that made sense to me at all.

Are you actually retarded? I distinctly remember there being a big fanfare part towards the end where the chick you're with most of the game tells you that your final ability is to perceive the future. I'm actually incredibly angry you didn't get it, because they tell you this, then the last mission is going to change the future by killing this guy because you know what he's going to do–FUCK HOW DID YOU NOT GET IT user

If he can see the future, why doesn't his future self look to the future to see if he'll save his friends?

Higurashi Ch. 1. It's a linear VN AKA not a game but going in blind it really fucked with me.

And fuck, I just realized it's on Humble Bundle right now for $1 after I made the post. Good time to check it out.

Real paranoia requires a level of uncertainty that I don't think I experience with games. At least not single player. Multiplayer strategy games or gsg is the only place I get a real sense of "I want to trust these people I probably cannot trust."

I took your advice and played it and it sucked.

Killer7

This. The first game in particular because you weren't really sure what the fuck was going on, your options were limited, and there was no real guarantee that you'd make it. This, along with actively having to watch the things coming after you and worry when you can't find them, gives it a pretty damn good sense of tension. This is kind of why I don't mind the jumpscares in that one. They're more the final "fuck you" than just something random tossed in to make things spooky where they normally wouldn't be.

It's a shame that """theorists""" and reddit made such a push for "muh lore" in a horror game.

The original Slender alpha build.
I'm not even joking.

I would say the STALKER games.

Came here to post this.

You fags think that's bad? Try it in VR. You don't get the true sense of scale from a flat screen.

After encountering my first Reaper and barely escaping, I have yet to venture beyond the safe shallows. Sheer, pure, utterly undistilled terror.