Good Indie Games

Which are good indie games that are out?
Inb4 pseudo-art games and walking simulators.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/497780/Recursed/
youtube.com/watch?v=kkLquJcFyEA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good one OP. You're a funny guy I'll dubs you last.

did you expect honest answers or low effort bait with this shit of an OP

(c-c-c-checked)
Nice.

Besides this and Cuphead I can't think of many, though I know there've been a decent amount of them coming out. I dunno the quality on a lot of them though as I haven't had a chance to play most of them though.

Among the Sleep
A Hat in Time
Gugamelee
Ori and the Blind Forest
Cave Story
Cursed Castilla
La-Mulana
Salt and Sanctuary

If you like card games and eldrich horror go for darkest dungeon

Among the Sleep is So-So at best. The story is interesting, but I wouldn't go for it unless I was really desperate for something like Amnesia, and that's after exhausting other options.

Personally for what it was I think they did good. 2+ years to make n all.

Granted you can't really get a game over til about 1/2 way into the game really removes some of the fear factor in it.

This is a squad tactics game I shill here from time to time. Essentially you play as the secret police and do things like plant evidence and false flag your own military in a soviet russian government where everyone is starving. Aside from the first missions, all the missions are pieces to a larger plan. Which is refreshing because a lot of indie games are just mindlessly mission after mission.

It's hard as fuck though with a combination of stealth and micro management. You can't gun through levels because guards have some way to respawn (whether a civilian sets off an alarm or something else) and guns are really unreliable unless they're in the hands of the correct agent.

World of Goo.

Forgot to mention the name. SIgnal ops.

Also I forgot to mention it's class based. Like you pick your squad before the mission and each member does something different. In this first pick the spy (old dude) distracted a guard so bolt (the person who manages your radio signal) could zap him from behind.

There are plenty of good indie games OP, you might as well be asking "which are good games that are out", at least narrow it down to a genre or something

Here's a few I've been playing recently I guess:
>Pharaoh Rebirth+ is a good old-school platformer with some metroidvania influences pardon my buzzword use there.

-Toki Tori 2 and Full Bore are two good puzzle games. Especially Toki Tori 2.
-The Talos Principle is another goof FP puzzle game.
-Dustforce is a hard 2D platformer focusing on perfect runs/leaderboards/speedruns

I agree. Once again OP is a faggot.

Jamestown

>(((indie))) games
Dubs

Care to elaborate on that spicy claim?

S&S seconded, Salt Souls truly was good, it was not much in sense of a mentroid-vania, but it did a good job being "Souls Like" despite being 2D, the whole music and gameplay felt pretty cool too, some boss designs were cool "Queen of Smile" some were just childish "Dragon Kraken" but it was a good game.

Factorio

You're a shitposting faggot and people like you should be banned on the spot.

Hollow Knight is indie GOTY.

fuck off back to >>>/cuckchan/ you backseat hotpocketing moralfag and take your shit taste in games with you

Cave Story
Undertale
LISA
Fez
Shovel Knight
:^)

Is :^) any good?

GOTY every year.

I know the ":^)" means it's a b8 post but I'll reply seriously because I'm bored.
Not sure why anyone would have a problem with that one outside of it getting hard as fuck in the highest difficulty.
Yeah yeah >furfags. The game itself was mediocre but still worth one playthrough.
I've seen a lot of people shit on this one, but I really liked it. Well, besides the shitty meme tower that literally gives you a middle finger at the top of a ten+ minute climb.
yeah it's shit, the only truly honest part of your post
I only recently started playing this so I can't give any judgements.

Shovel knight is unironically fun

Fez is the one on that list that's actually bad. Not sure why the fuck Cave Story is on there, is that a reverse psychology bait?

why has no one mentioned Owl Boy yet? As far as Indie PixelShit goes, this one does a great job between tight controls and just about the most comfy aesthetic you can get.

The only good indie is a dead one.

There was a time when Aquaria and Braid lead the way for smaller teams making worthwhile B tier games. We are long past that point, it's all cancer now.

Yes fellow 8channer, since calling Cuphead a Souls game is retarded, we should actually compliment an actual plagiarism of Dork Souls in 2D

back to cuckchan REEEEEEEE

Flinthook, Cosmic Star Heroine, CrossCode, Door Kickers, Pharaoh Rebirth+, The Bug Butcher, Savant Ascent, 6180 The Moon, Kero Blaster. Most of these are just ones I've played in the last month or so.

Any decent indie turn based tactics games? Outside of Xenonauts.

Honestly, Undertale itself is more harmless than anything else, it just has The Worst Fanbase. It's a lot like MLP in that there's probably nothing too bad about the show itself, but you'd never watch it or admit to NOT hating it entirely because everyone loathes the shitty fanbase.

I dislike undertale because playing it feels like a novelty. You're in this theater park where you go oh clever oh funny oh whacky but the actual game is seriously lacking and it puts all its eggs in the so meta novelty basket.

You do realize doujins are still independently developed games, right?

But the picture in your OP is a pseudo-art walking simulator

It's part of the Post-Modeernism gaming movement. Games have kind of hit this development curve where AAA HD titles no longer satisfy the general trends of gaming. Graphics have gotten so good that after a certain degree, you're basically nitpicking about just how "HD" High Definition is, and gameplay value for classic gaming styles have tapered off. Combine that with lackluster company reputations and business decisions, and we're seeing a shift in game development as a whole.
New Games are trying to be "good" by rejecting the usual definition of what a game is. That's why you see stuff like Doki Doki Literature where part of the game actually takes place outside the game and inside the game's file folder, or minimalistic gameplay "games" like TellTale and Fuckbears.
Eventually we'll come back around to good game development, but it'll be a few years.

Could you be less of a faggot, please?

Underrail is good. There's going to be an expansion coming out soon, and they just released an update adding a global map and new enemies.

Rain World

Because Owbloy is fucking garboccini, my guy.

I think it's a real shame a lot of people didn't give that game a chance. Looking forward to playing as the Hunter once it's out of beta.

But if you kill absolutely everything you get the best ending

store.steampowered.com/app/497780/Recursed/

It's scripted wankery, but I really did enjoy my first few playthroughs of it. I'm glad he had a strong musical sense to pepper the game with certain melodies so it felt connected. Plus the Genocide route is great because it took a decent story and went off the rails with it

Abysal story is very good.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City?

Nice argument chump

ziggurat
ftl
armed with wings
age of decadence
i also liked superhot

I wasn't complaining about your low quality post. I was stating that you didn't present a counter argument to my claim and resulted to calling me a faggot instead, which suggests you don't have one.

We have ID's here on Holla Forums. I'm not the guy who called you a faggot.

It's more difficult to pay attention to IDs on mobile, sorry.

You presented no argument to support your claim to begin with, that which can be claimed without proof can thus be dismissed without proof.

Sure, but publisher independence is only a useful label for commercial games. Cave Story and La-Mulana are both freeware. In addition, there is somewhat of a difference between the Western concept of indie developers and doujin makers in Japan. Western indies typically make it their full occupation while doujins are usually side projects made in someone's spare time from their day job.

deadbolt

It's not like there's a Western equivalent to the term "doujin" that distinguishes game development hobbyists like Nigoro (or the GR3 Project anyway) to people like Studio MDHR who independently finance their games and work on them full time, we just call them both indies because of the situation surrounding their finance and publication. None of these things are mutually exclusive and it doesn't disqualify either of those games from meeting the thread's criteria.

Best normie meme of 2017.

Please explain to me how it is a walking simulator. It has everything a walking simulator is lacking.

that's a good boss fight but the movement speed/size of the areas does put a lot of fucking walking in the game, i still haven't finished it because traveling is kinda boring

user I don't think you understand what are the usual complains people do against walking simulators.

Shit

Aquaria and Braid tricked me into thinking that indie games were halfway decent and would possibly get better releases that weren't
commie bullshit, pixel bullshit or fad bullshit.

Oh, and pretentious indie bullshit like and Ori.

LOL

Ori was financed and published by Microsoft, though. The developers were really experienced, too.

I will never understand what the fuck people like about the visuals in that game. It looks like Edmund McMillen-tier doodles scribbled out with the default Photoshop brush in about twenty seconds apiece

I know I know, Mark of the Ninja was also funded by Mirokike and it looks really cheap too, they should have used the budget to hire better artists.

Dead Cells
Oxygen Not Included
pretty much the only oneso ther than cuphead and hollow knight i play

Rabi-Ribi. It's a lengthy metroidvania with cute anime girls and loads of hidden items all over the map. Boss fights are bullet hell style though and are quite hard even using items on normal.

I remember back when 8ch had the first exodus, before Holla Forums, how nice of a place it was. People talked about the game, criticized a game and elaborated, listened to others, actually good threads and video game discussion
Now you faggots just shitpost for the sake of it.
Hollow Knight is an excellent game. Try it out.

Aside from Hollow Knight, you should try binding of Issac anti-birth. pirate it though. Edmund doesn't deserve shit

user you're a faggot but antibirth is god teir, so I'll let it slide for now.
I had a list I was going to post but the OP sabotaged his own thread with the lack of any actual effort.

All I said was that the game looked like generic indie garbage.

What I stated is true. The quality of threads has gone down within the years. Neofag exploding didn't help.

It's hand-drawn animation, not shitty wanna-be spritework.

A whole three frames? The Cuphead devs are suckers if that's all you have to do to get praise for your animations.

You said "generic indie garbage"
generic would be shitty retro spritework.
The art design is hand animation. I corrected you in your incorrect statement.
You are moving the goalpost, in lack of rebuke.

Were you so busy choosing the perfect smug anime girl that you mixed up IDs? Must be pretty embarrassing to make such a simple mistake while you're trying to be a pedantic cunt.

People seem to like Cuphead because it's the least offensive indie game to come out in a while, I dunno why, it just apes better run-and-gun arcade games with an animation budget. I don't really care about it, I mean, I like old animation, not a videogame aping old animation.

COPYPASTED FROM AN OLD THREAD
Good Indie games I've played

Tolerable Indie games

Special Mention for being overrated
/COPYPASTED FROM AN OLD THREAD

Some from this Thread

Some I Have Downloaded (most were played)

You're equally much of a gargantuan mongoloid for dismissing the animation in Hollow Knight, considering its of great effort compared to any indie shit nowadays.

If nothing else it at least makes sense to praise Cuphead for its animations since they required a lot of study and technique to pull off.

Will you just admit that you're not concerned about the state of the board and you're just a rabid fanboy? What part of this took "great effort"?

It goes without saying Cuphead has better hand drawn animation, because it is one of its main competitive advantages.
The game looks great, and not from just the hand-drawn animation alone. It's the entirety of detail in world presentation that makes it good. But what would you know, you didn't even play the game and you're talking shit without even playing a game.

kill yourself.

Find me a cherry with more than three frames of animation, then. The only one I'm aware of is Hornet, and posting THAT would be cherrypicking since it's not representative of the majority of the sprites. Replying twice is desperate anyway.

That's great though, that's what people should praise Cuphead for, animation and art direction that aren't complete shit.

Considering cuphead as the standard and not the exception is pure, uncut stupidity.

The exact claim IS that Hollow Knight is the exception.
If you want to drop the bar through the fucking floor and say that Hollow Knight is praiseworthy for being marginally above shit then go ahead, but Cuphead is the one that actually set the bar. Ignoring that because it's too good for the comparison to be fair is a bitch move.

No. You ARE cherrypicking by attacking solely the hand-drawn animations.
The animations go in tandem with everything that makes the presentation great for that game. You're ignoring the massive amount of content they have to deal with, along with the lightning effects, the music, the SFX, the attention to detail in environment interaction. You isolate the animations alone and state they're shit, when the animation style is just one of the threads that weave it all together. I'd even dare say the quick-repeat animation in itself is also a reason why the game is fast paced, in a sense, reflecting spritework animation of SNES platformers having equally little amount of sprites per frame. But I'm not gonna go there. I will simply state Hollow Knight achieves a great presentation and PULLS OFF 3 frame animations just fine thanks to its well paced gameplay.

It's not a bitch move. It's a logical response. the animation in cuphead is its competitive advantage. It's not the standard, it's an exception.

Either way I can tell you never played Hollow knight. Considering you never rebuked this statement before, you admit indirectly you didn't..
Don't comment about a game if you haven't played it. Hollow Knight does a good job as an indie metroidvania. The OST is good. The gameplay is good. The devs throw free updates. Seriously, you're being the little contrarian cunt for the sake of shitposting.

I'm talking about the hand-drawn animations because that's specifically what you praised, you fucking moron.
I never rebutted that because it's a stupid argument and only someone with no ammunition left would resort to it. Thanks for the paragraphs of concentrated autism, though, I did call you a fanboy earlier and it's only now that I really feel vindicated in that claim.

There's plenty if you like autism builders, because they're relatively easy to program and usually don't have huge graphics requirements.

You are truthful

Hollow Knight is bloated with useless eye candy that uneededly lowers the framerate.

The gameplay is fun, though.

I really want to like that game but the enemies feel so bulletspongy unless you have one of the small pool of actually good guns. It also doesn't help that the guns you will spend the most time with (starter peashooters) are extremely annoying to use.

get EtGmod and use console commands to use the character ninja, the gimmick is he doesn't start off with an infinite pistol, but instead two revolvers and an AK. It makes ammo more important early on and definitely makes the game more fun.

what? I know the devs are sjw but there's no sign of Rami.

hm I mixed-up with nuclear throne… n-no bully

It is a good game, I feel sorry for anyone who didn't at least give it a pirate because they only ever listen to Holla Forums.

The first time I turned a corner and saw that spider curled up.

If you like music games, Tadpole Treble is by the guy behind that now-defunct web comic "brawl in the family"
Zenzizenzic is a decent bullethell
West of Loathing is good comedy by the Kingdom of Loathing guys
Vagante is an rpg version of Spelunky basically
Strafe is a decent doom-like
Snake Pass is unique
Road Redemption is great if you liked Road Rash
Hover: Revolt of Gamers is decent

Strafe fucking sucks though.

the framerate issues were fixed on an early patch when it first came out.

I enjoy the game because it has good gameplay, and its presentation delivered is satisfactory. It's natural to defend a game which happens to pass the test. You're attacking and stating it's not satisfactory. That's not true. You get upset and resort to Cuphead as the standard and state HK is shit because it's not animated in detail for its 150+ enemies and world.
Come on. You're being a contrarian faggot for absolutely no purpose.
once again your'e a vile snake twisting words. I stated the hand-drawn animation used in HK was not generic indie retro pixels. That's all I stated. You followed stating it was shit. I stated the animations do the job by being proper for the pace of the gameplay.

You're perhaps the most insufferable user on this board. Also, downloading a game and fucking with it for 5 minutes is hardly proper rebuke for people questioning if you actually played the game. If anything, you're the one with no ammunition, by posting some gog folder instead of in-game achievements, as someone who would've played the game would.
I did call you a contrarian autist, and it's even more so now that I really feel vindicated in that claim. You're just being a contrarian faggot for (you)s.
The game is fun. the presentation is proper. boohoo the animation is not cuphead. fucking vapid cunt what matters is the fun gameplay.

Are you ESL?

Hollow Knight and Cuphead both use as many frames as they need to convey what they need to. Animation isn't about how many frames you can cram into a single action, it's about the question "How many frames do I need to properly convey what's happening?"
In the context of Cuphead and Hollow Knight they both use just as many frames as they need to in-order to communicate with the player as to just what is happening. Anyone who thinks one is superior to the other just because it has X number of frames are no better than those terraflop autists.

Why do you post a smug anime girl pic if you are obviously upset and make no effort to conceal it?

See, this is the response of a man who can speak English.

I don't agree anyway, Cuphead could have cut corners between key frames and the action still would have been conveyed adequately, there is no getting around the fact that they went above and beyond "just as many frames as they need to". I'm not saying the animations are a hundred times better because that's how many more frames there are, that's just a convenient metric to begin to show how much more effort was put into it, since that's what's in dispute. Are you going to take the position that Hollow Knight's animations are some paragon that is worthy of this much praise?

Once again, you twist words in a desperate attempt to scrap the bottom of the barrel for a rebuke.
No one is stating Hollow Knight's hand-drawn animatons are the best hand-drawn animations in the world (but you know this, you're just trying to at least chip some argumentative damage so this is stated since you've been proven wrong already), it was merely stated it's hand-drawn animation does the job properly. As stated four times already in this thread, and apparently you are unable to grasp the message due issues in possessing basic reading comprehension, the animation in HK conveys what needs to convey to deliver its fast paced gameplay.
At this point you're going in circles. You could've simply ended with "I see your point, but I don't agree because x". No need to be a damage-controlling, inflated-ego, pedantic cunt about it.
You state there was little effort in the animation. Once again i can tell you didn't even play the game. There is huge efforts from the developers to deliver an immersive, colorful world, with attention to detail in many things. one of the reasons the artstyle meshes with the world is their choice of animation. If it was overly animated it would honestly be a slower gameplay (outside of perhaps death animations) and drive eyes out of terrain, which is paramount to be wary of in its gameplay.

To close, no one is taking a position of circlejerking HK's animation. What deserves praise is its presentation as a whole. But again, this has been stated previously in this thread, and you're going in circles due to lack of a proper rebuke.

I wasn't being flippant, can you actually speak English? It would explain why there's such a fundamental miscommunication here. It would also explain why you're bizarrely imitating phrases I've used, like "pedantic cunt", or why you're consistently misusing "rebuke".

The game happens to be in early access, if that's something that bugs you. If it isn't, I would also suggest Catacomb Kids.
I don't know how much has changed since its release, but at first that game fucking sucked.
They changed that game's name because it had too many similarities to gamergate.

If there are three things I would want out of an EtG mod, they would be:

Anyway, here are a couple more games that I like.
A 3D stylish action game mixed with a roguelite. It's a little unpolished, doesn't quite feel like it reaches its full potential, but it still has a great comfy style.
2D stylish action game this time. Very short if you know what you're doing, but the main draw is in the lovely hand-drawn graphics and Stanley Parable-style meta-commentary.
Literally Super Metroid except as a roguelite.
Multiplayer game where there's one adventurer and everyone else is a ghost, and they possess monsters and traps in a dungeon to kill the adventurer and take his place. Got that hipster pixel art, but it's still fun if you have friends.
One of the best beat-em-ups I've ever played. I'm not even memeing.
Faux-ZX Spectrum RPG/metroidvania with minigame combat. At least worth a look-see on sale. There's a trans character, but it's never even mentioned outside of a developer patch note, which is fine by me.

I apologize user, English is my 4th Language. What matters is the argument I convey, which I am able to get across. Meanwhile, you're going in circles and using ad hominems.

People usually post smug anime girls because they are upset.

That user is a triggered ex-cuckchanner who came post-exodus. He got upset I stated this place used to be better before it went to the shitter as it became more popular (aka, when he joined)
Now he's being a contrarian autist out of spite to one of the few good indie games this year.

This. Is very nice.

I didn't bring it up because I hate shitskins, I brought it up because I don't think you fully realize what you were saying at the beginning. I mean, you are still an arrogant faggot with no self-awareness, but having a loose grasp on the language is definitely exacerbating the problem. Surely at some point you had to realize that if English is your fourth language and it's my native language that it's possible the miscommunication is on your end. It's even funnier now to remember that you accused me of having poor reading comprehension while you're shitting out pajeet-tier pidgin English.

While we're talking about miscommunication, you do realize the ONLY thing I've talked about regarding Hollow Knight is the visuals, right? There was no need to spend three posts valiantly defending every single aspect of the gameplay, presentation, and development as though that's somehow relevant. I should probably stop while I'm ahead, at this rate you're going to reply to this post four times.

This user is a giant fag.

I keep seeing A Hat in Time.
Is it a good game?
I know there were alot of Neofags were triggered because the developers didn't remove Jontron but i just wanna know if its good or not.

When it comes to indie 3D collectathon platformers released this year, it's better than Yooka-Laylee but it's not as good as Snake Pass.

We had a bunch of threads about it. The consensus seemed to be that it had good core gameplay and mechanics, but the developers are incompetent (not enough slot machine coins to operate it the necessary number of times to get all the bonuses) and possibly compromised (some jokes about capitalism being evil combined with an unwillingness to fix the coin issue when someone mentioned it on Twitter).

Pirate it. See for yourself.

What exactly is so pretentious about it? It has good gameplay and the story can be mostly ignored if you don't care about it

If you are into puzzle games I hear Stephen's Sausage Roll is actually really good.

Ayy, the new Rain World expansion released today, it'll be cool to see how much they added since they're being tight-lipped about it. They said they're planning to add co-op in v2.0 as well, I didn't know if they were ever going to.

Did you play it or did you just hear about it? The title is impossible to take seriously.

Haven't gotten around to playing it yet. It seems to have a lot of neat mechanics to it though. In terms of puzzle games it looks like it could be a bit challenging in the later stages.

The gameplay is lame and the pandering is tiring, while the message is pacifist utopic gungrabbing bulshit, and the lore is an effortless asspull.
That the goat makes your benis twitch doesn't make the game good.

It's cancer that promotes size bloat. There is no need for a 2D game to be so bloated as to lag in a modern computer.

Daily reminder that this is technically an indie game but has more content than any AAA game made in the last 10 years.

That's because indie devs are going to be the new face of gaming. See rant here for more details.

You're just here to shitpost, aren't you?
You're a giant faggot. Last (you) I give you.

Speaking of Rain World - it was updated and is out of beta.

Did you think this through? That's a win-win for me. Either you genuinely stop posting and stop forcing me to read your indecipherable third-world English, which is what I really want, or you continue replying after you said you would stop and end up looking like a bitch.

Praise lord Kek for these two and the entertainment they have provided me this evening.

Looks like a pretty comprehensive overhaul so far. I have mixed feelings about a few changes but it seems like there are some neat secrets to uncover. I hope they didn't smooth over too many rough edges just to placate the people bitching that the game is too tough, I'm looking forward to see how much The Hunter ramps up the difficulty because I really wanted them to make certain aspects of the game harder.

Glad I could help

Or I join the fray and pull out my weaponized autism by Winning the augment through sheer dickery. Holla Forums is Shit-eatingly retarded because they never learned from the mistakes of 4cucks, and on top of that are completely ass-blasted by the way modern gaming has developed. It's gotten to be such a shithole that any argument can be so far removed from the topic that all I have to do to win is to keep replying until I have the last word. I don't even have to hide the fact that I'm doing this, because again, you're all so moronic that at least one of you is guaranteed to reply, because you won't let yourself NOT have the last word, and you can't possibly win a war of attrition against a self-aware autist who is deliberately being autistic.

No but really, thanks man, it was entertaining to read from the sidelines.

I find this to be strangely true. You can often feel the rage seeping through their smug-veiled posts.

You gave me the victory right there.

He lost all credibility with his last post.

TO be honest I found it mildly entertaining how someone can be THIS autistic because someone called them out for being a cuck-channer. It's like when you tell a jew he's a jew and they don't know what to do.

lol

And you're all wrong because your small-mindedness won't let you see that you're exhibiting the same obnoxious behaviours you're accusing others of, instead of me, who is deliberately exhibiting these behaviors in order to be as unpalatable as possible in the context of this thread, and to supercede all of you with my autism dick-waving. Even pointing out that I'm doing this is part of that, because the arrogance only feeds to the inevitability of me winning.

just search Glitchwave or whoever's spamming '#indiegaming' on Twitter tbh

It's good in general, but it's biggest flaw is a lack of content and foresight on the part of the devs. There's only four main worlds, and the game doesn't last that long, even if you go for full completion. You can't even unlock everything without playing the modding support beta and collecting tokens in user made levels. It's cool that there is so much official modding support, though, even if it isn't that polished right now, and there's going to be free updates adding another world and co-op. Either pirate it or wait for it to go on sale, because there's not enough game there to warrant the full price.

Let me be the first one to welcome you to this website.
Enjoy your stay and make sure to learn our customs.

Played the two of these recently, both are fukken brilliant.

Brigador does nothing incredible in terms of game structure, the campaign missions are similar to the freelance missions but with some changed around objectives and a selection of fixed loadouts, but the gameplay itself as well as the visuals and music are spot on. The visuals suit the game perfectly, everything in the environment can be destroyed and the combat feels perfect. You generally have to use a somewhat hit and run style of play as you get shredded if swarmed by large groups, but the majority of your arsenal is incredibly destructive, so you can destroy swathes of enemies in seconds if they're massed, usually resulting in lots of collateral damage to buildings. Another cool feature is the game allows for stealth, enemies cannot keep track of you if you get behind cover, so you can lose them or flank groups to get the drop on them, they will also only detect you based on sound or line of sight, so you can destroy opponents before they're aware of you at a distance or by firing through light cover (or heavy cover with high penetration weapons). There's a ton of different vehicles and weapons as well so the way you play will vary a lot by loadout. Large vehicles with heavy weapons can just go ham and get piled on by most things, but smaller ones will have to be more careful, as they can't take as many hits or reduce enemies to slag as quickly as the larger ones. Overall it's the kind of game you can play for a few hours every week for a very long time, though it would probably get stale if you played it continuously for a long time.

Steamworld: Heist is the best turn based game I've played in a long time, it plays a bit like worms as you have to manually aim shots, but combat takes place in maps that are almost like platformer levels with ladders, explosive hazards, etc. It aces the "small numbers rpg" idea as health and damage figures are only about twice as big as they are at the start by the end of the game. Positioning is very important as even the best cover will be defeated if opponents have low or high angles on your characters. It has a nice range of weapons and utility items with different abilities, although the variety isn't overwhelming you can make a pretty varied team. Random drops are also a thing so it can make some playthroughs very different depending on what items you get, as some work really well on certain characters. It gives you 8 different characters with different abilities, the one criticism I have of the game is that using all the characters with abilities that let them recover health seems to always make for the strongest team, as it means you don't need to put health recovery items in their equipment slots so can use more offensively oriented utility items without being glass cannons. Whereas the Glass cannon characters lose their offensive edge due to being dependent on healing items.

Also I'd suggest getting Heist on sale if you buy it as the DLC pack for it is good but it costs 1/3rd as much as the game while not having that much content. It adds 6 levels, 3 of which have boss fights, as well as new items and 1 of the 8 characters (without it there are only 7 available characters).

Aerannis is made by AGDG and features a tranny protag. The catch is you're also an assassin and working against a corrupt ultra feminist society

Quality of threads has gone down the shitter lately. Thank neogaf exploding for that

Cuckchanners like you are the reason Holla Forums has gone downhill. Kys

Well clearly he got honest answers, you (1) and done faggot.

The only one I played is iCEY so I couldn't really say, I've been interested in Heart & Slash for a while but haven't gotten around to trying it out. Didn't seem like Crawl was worth a second look but I don't know, maybe I judged it too harshly.

Sometime ago I downloaded Heat Signature, and after finishing it once I decided to buy it. It's pretty much perfect.

my fucking nigga

Heart & Slash was like less than four bucks during the Black Friday sale, so it should almost definitely get a similar cut next week when we have the Christmas sale. Or just pirate it first, who cares.
Crawl I would say only give it a chance if you have friends and friends like playing it with you.
As far as games go, Hyper Light Drifter is also… pretty good? It's got a nice style, and combat feels alright, but I don't remember if it's still locked to Game Maker 30fps. Also, don't pay money for it, the developer is a faggot.

Rain World update is a little buggy, but so was the base game. I was just playing on an old save file today so I'll probably start a new playthrough as The Hunter tomorrow. Hard to say if they really dumbed it down unilaterally, there's more information in the map UI now but I think they made the lizards more intelligent.

Ha
I had heard that they updated it to unlock the framerate but I couldn't find a torrent of the GOG version that had the update, so I can't say for certain. That's another one I tried but didn't really click with me.

That looks fucking tight, I had heard the title mentioned but had no idea what it was about.

Skullgirls is a good fighting game

Anyone hear has played Slain?

Yeah. It's a fun game.

For about 10 minutes. Unless they released an update after the one that made it tolerable it's nothing above "eh, I wasted a day away". The theme is definitely something I want to see more of though. Only with punk angelic aspects as well as demonic.

Still looking for a decent indie TBT/TBS. Played Steamworld Heist, Wesnoth and Xenonauts

I guess. It kept my interest till the end but the reliance on parrying is kind of ridiculous.

Slain was when I pretty much had it with the parrying mechanic as a whole. It got popular in Dark Souls and has since then been used in just about every other popular indie title since.

They both came here at the same time.

wow, you fucking destroyed him lol

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was The Way. That game had a reflective shield used in many gimmick puzzles, required pixel hunting and retarded positioning.
Combined with a stupidly unforgiving checkpoint system and the game trying to emulate a cinematic platformer but doing it poorly, I really fucking despised the parry/shield.

One of these days I'm going to have to create a list of games that use a parry mechanic. I always state that it's over saturated at the moment but I never can bring myself to think of more than 3 or so examples off the top of my head when I know there's dozens. Maybe I'll make a thread on it and get some help. .

HLD was updated to run at a locked 60fps instead of 30. The problem is that Game Maker forces devs to tie game events to the framerate instead of some internal tickrate and changing the framerate basically means crawling through the source code and manually updating all your code and an unlocked framerate would speed up everything in the game.

Oh.

It's actualy got a lot of really good custom levels. Some of them are really well developed (Operation CAW_Base_Infiltration, The Monsoon, Power Peak, Snatcher's Keep, Subcon Castle, Mafia Skydock, Her Dream). Some of them are designed as ultra challenging (Dead Bob Studio, Wet Mushroom Heaven) and some are fun alterations of (or alternatively straight rips of) 3D Mario levels (Express Owls in Gold Leaf Galaxy, Delfino Airstrip, many many that are just Secret rips from Sunshine)

Of course, there are also the shit ones. They aren't all gold. (Shrine of owo what's this, Hat Kid ascends to gamer heaven)

/r/ing the webm of vati vidya just saying "it truly is 2d dark souls" over and over.

Some indies I've enjoyed are
>Risk of fucking Rain
There's good shit to play, user.

>Doki Doki I'm just kidding only the characters were fun the meta horror was underutilised and lacked subtlety

Lisa and Shovel Knight have already been mentioned but I'll vouch for them as-well, atleast for Shovel Knight anyway.

And of course Midnight Animal :^)

Fuck me yes this game is the shit

MinMax is pretty niche, but they don't disappoint. SPAZ 2 just got an update.

Sold. Love boarding man, rare as it is. Only Parkan 2 comes to mind. I assume it has actually good space combat to go with the boarding action?

The game has ~150 enemies that need to be animated too, along with some parts of the environment. It's going to take much longer than cuphead's development time if they put as much effort into each of the animations.

Go away shill! Hollow knight have a gender fluid bug hero
**the last part isn't shitposting. I think the dev actually said that*

Isn't that the shitty dungeon crawler still in early Access since 2013 pretending to be a prequel from another game that never saw the light as soon as the dev got the cash?

Uhhhh user? What?
Anyway, I'm eyeing bomber crew and from the abyss….both plays like FTL one is out already but not sure if it's worth the price, the other is still in alpha and only jewtuber have a link

Has spaz 2 gotten an update for better or worse?

Holla Forums came later after cuckchan exploded their own Holla Forums board.

Bumpin' for Heat Signature

I started playing Hyper Light Drifter. idk, it's not awful. It seems like for every one thing that's cool there's 3 things that seem at least a bit clunky or make you say why did they do this this way.

Calling Hollow Knight a walking simulator is just plainly wrong. Calling it bait isn't disagreeing, it's being correct.

The shitposters did anyways, the board was made at the same time as Holla Forums's.

I've been enjoying these two a lot, too bad the port of acceleration of suguri x is dogshit and the multiplayer won't work, at least the arcade mode is fun
acceleration of suguri 2 english release never fucking ever, i want to play it in multiplayer already
The soundtracks for suguri/sora games are also pretty good.

Also, Ring Runner is fun as fuck.

Thankfully Rockin' Android is getting fucked in the ass hard so they won't get their hands on AoS 2

Yeah well fruitbat are taking their sweet fucking time releasing AoS2. At least it looks like they're adding shit to the new release. I just hope the extra soundtracks will be in the game.

Any good indie horror games?

I'm only spoonfeeding you because I like the vid so much.

the Suguri composer is my no. 1 artist. Amazing stuff, I listen to the soundtracks and arranges constantly.

On that note, I also enjoyed the series where Sora makes a guest appearance.

Now post the sonic souls edit.

As for actually contributing to the thread:

Possibly controversial picks:
>I like Castle Crashers and the other The Behemoth games because I have no taste

I might make a collage of things rated well itt, depending on how lazy I'm feeling

Don't think I've seen that one before, you'll have to find it yourself and post it here for me.

bmp

I'm probably gonna get shit for this, but as far as Smash clones go, Rivals of Aether is pretty good actually. And I might get even more shit for this, but I'm looking forward to Indie Pogo.

Darkwood
youtube.com/watch?v=kkLquJcFyEA

I missed your shilling user, I used to see it from 3 months to 3 months

fuck you leather man.

Thematically, all the corps are supposed to have similar styles between facilities. Strategically, I felt there was some good variety except for "setpieces" like the vaults and augment chambers.
Git gud.
I liked Decker a lot, and Nika and Xu are pretty good.
True to an extent, but the half of gadgets and cybernetics that are worthless changes depending on your situation. If you don't have a cloak, then Chameleon Movement is useless; if you do, it's a godsend. I think my main problem with the gadgets is their high cost, especially when you include the cost to upgrade stats high enough to use them.
If you haven't planned ahead to ensure you get all that, it's your fault, not the game's.
I haven't played the DLC so I couldn't say.
I agree that non-lethal is objectively superior to lethal, especially because there's no melee or silent lethal takedown like the tasers and DARTs are.
I liked the ending; I thought the twist worked very well, for what a simple story it had.

I WANT TO PROTECT THE SMILE OF HAT GIRL.

Seriously though it's adorable, but not worth the price tag as is. The way she skipped around during the parade made my heart melt. tfw no daughter

Also a spiritual successor is being made.

20 out of 203 replies. Only 9% same on you Holla Forums

I love A Hat in time. Own but haven't yet played Hallow Knight.

Its mediocre, sorta shit on account of how mediocre it is. I bought it while drunk.

that is surprisingly way more satisfying to play then it is to watch. I avoided it for along time on account of its ugly aesthetics.

Darkwood?

Is Dream Machine any good? The clay aesthetic looks nice but I don't know if the story or gameplay is any good.

Any good indie games that are particularly hard to pirate that I should get on the steam sale?

Yep, got that one and Dread Out.

The ALLTYNEX Trilogy

yume nikki and its clones

More surreal/creepy atmosphere than outright horror but you're not wrong

well the playable character in hollow knight is an artificial creation so it can't really have a gender.
so I don't see how that's a problem - you wouldn't expect a robot or something to have a gender would you

I avoided that game forever because I hated the art. But once I played it I honestly cannot say it's bad. The game is fun despite its artwork.

not that you ought to ever buy video games but the game is top notch vidya, how is it "not worth it"?

Hey, post gameplays, its better to convince me to pirate buy it.

Iji? Trying to do an immortal pacifist run was the worst decision i've ever made

Does Va-11 Hall-A count? I've been enjoying it as a toilet game.

Your shilling was successful, I just bought it on GOG, as it was only 1.29 and looks kinda fun.

If it isn't I'm going to hunt you down, shill!

Was their Gunpoint game any good or should I just stick with Heat Signature?

People did like Gunpoint, that much is sure. It wasn't so much my type of game, but if it's yours, then go for it.
The great thing is, the developer actually made a demo for the game, so you can give it a try for yourself. In fact, he even wrote a blog piece after releasing the demo, telling how it resulted in so many pre-orders that he was able to quit his job.

Now, my own question: has anyone here played The Sexy Brutale? I'm a little curious if that one's any good. Looks kinda interesting.

Wait there's a demo? Sweet, now I have something to try out. As for the Sexy Brutale haven't played it but the premise seems ripe for potential, although I've heard the controls can be a bit clunky but that isn't my personal experience so take it with a grain of salt.

underappreciated

Don't know much about Lisa The First, but play Lisa the Painful, Joyful, Pointless, and Hopeful. The last two are fangames, but they're pretty good.

You can call me a casual all you want, but I genuinely do have fun playing Streets of Rogue. Haven't tried playing co-op yet, but playing anything is better with a friend, so I can only imagine how dumb that would be.

Nope,Valdis Story: Abyssal City is a not bad fun game,and it certainly isn't to the game's detriment that the art is not newsgrounds tier
>inb4 u need a noo monitor
it's a laptop i use for games occasionally when not at home

Don't forget The Void/ Turgor (same company)

The cute anime girls are extremely generic boring shit, but otherwise, you're on point.

You're right, but in the end you decided to go for a shitflinging arguement that abandoned the original point. You let him get to you user. You lost.

become a fucking mage

Dead Cells was fun but I heard its gotten bad with the foundry update but I think you're able to go back to other beta builds and play those if you're disatisfied.

I also really enjoyed Oxygen Not Included

Crypt of the Necrodancer isn't too bad what I've played of it so far but I'd call that a dancing-walking-sim

Wew

Make it four

I remember taking a look at that and being on the fence. What's it like to play?

Also, I'll have some free time this week and I might make a rec image sorta thing. What sort of indicators/labels would people like on it? I'm not going to add e.g. genre or price because those can easily be found by doing research; I'd like suggestions of relevant information that can't be easily found with a search engine. I was planning on adding "dev/game is pozzed" and "toaster-friendly", but I don't have any ideas beyond that.

You could distinguish freeware vs. commercial products as suggested earlier

I'm in two minds about that. On the one hand, there are freely available versions of e.g. La-Mulana and Cave Story that you might have trouble finding because they have commercial remasters. On the other hand, that's not that hard to search for and not nearly as common as e.g. poz or toasterware. I'll keep it in mind if I don't get any better ideas.

I think the controls for Hollow Knight ruined it. The lack of momentum and the 'stop on a dime' kind of controls just aren't my thing.

It's difficult to determine just what games are or are not poz sometimes; I try to check by going into a developer's Twitter follows and seeing what comes up when I search for "fem", but that's only so effective. Can a developer still fall through those cracks? Is it possible for a game to appear poz, but actually be pretty chill?
Look at a game like Creepy Castle, for instance. I mentioned before that one of the characters is trans, but this is never mentioned or referenced in the game itself, except that this character with very pronounced eyelashes goes by he/him. The subject is only brought up in a patch note for the game (apparently the character is based on a person the developer knows, and when that person went trans so did the character). Is this game poz simply for having an lgbt character, if we don't know offhand the dev's own politics? Or is it just someone reflecting their own particular life experience?

I would generally go more by the dev than the game itself. Bastion doesn't have any dumb Tumblr shit in it, but since Transistor lays the diversity on so thick and Pyre is worse, I'd probably label all three of them poz. Braid and The Witness aren't leftist screeds either, but since Jonathon Blowhard is a fan of TACOMAN and Gone Lesbian, I'd label those games as poz too. I think I might end up running it by the GG thread as a last pass to make sure I didn't miss something.
I do agree that it's impossible to definitively know whether or not a dev is pozzed, which is why I'd only label games/devs that are definitely pozzed and I'd give people the benefit of the doubt. The point of the label is to inform people about the contents, not to steer people away from the game; if I wanted to steer them away, then I wouldn't include it at all as I probably will do with Pyre because it's not nearly as good as Bastion & Transistor.
I wouldn't say a game is pozzed just for having an lgbt character, especially if it's unannounced and hardly present in the game, but it wouldn't hurt to do some research on them to see if there are legitimate reasons to believe they're pozzed. Again, the point of the poz label isn't "don't ever touch this game", it's "you might not agree with the developer's political opinions, but the game is still worth your time".

Hollow Knight was amazing. BLUE REVOLVER was also good as h*ck.

I've only played a little bit of The Sexy Brutale so far, but from what I've played I'm really digging the game. It's giving me some real Ghost Trick vibes, and not just in the whole "travel through time to prevent people's murders" thing; it also has that same kind of supernatural mystery atmosphere to it. So far, it's really engaged me.

Also I'm playing Wuppo, and that's… pretty good. It's cute. There was one part that was just a huge pain in the ass.

Alwa's Awakening is also pretty good if you want to play a hipster retro platformer that isn't Shovel Knight. I'd say it's like a really short metroidvania-type deal, it's got backtracking and it only has like three upgrades through the entire thing; it's really more puzzle solving. The jumping is kinda floaty, so much that it becomes really obvious this isn't a retro game, but it's good for the platforming.
Or alternatively, play Odallus or Oniken if you want some genuine Castlevania/Ninja Gaiden action respectively. That autist has the NES style down pat.

I think the combat was a bit lacking. The game trys to feel more like a souls game by limiting your fighting to be mostly on the ground. The problem comes because by ignoring height, they are basically limiting the fighting to 1 dimension where 3d Souls would still have had 2, which makes things much more monotonous.

Bump for more shit. Maybe someone's got something they like that nobody else has heard of. That'd be neat.

You don’t remember a goddamn thing.

I have made literally no progress on this but I will soon(tm)

Whoops, that's me, forgot I was on a different network before.

Opinion discarded with extreme prejudice

Holla Forums exodus came after Holla Forums exodus
Your memory is bad.
Unless Holla Forums is trying to meme it was here first in the first place, which is not true.

B-but user this is Holla Forumschan don't you know!

The Sexy Brutale is worth a pirate if anything considering how few games take advantage of the Groundhog Day time loop. Unfortunately I felt let down in the end by the too easy puzzles and the game destroying pretty much all sense of mystery in the final chapters. The best parts of the game to me were in the beginning, learning everyone's routine, exploring the mansion and learning what is going on before the game decides you're too dense to figure anything out on your own. To be fair the story isn't that bad and the music is pretty good, then you realize half of the mansion exist for nothing more than flavor text and a place to play 52 card pickup for a secret Bad End.

pic related is pretty alright, but also pretty short on content. The soundtrack and the fast-paced gameplay are probably the highlights.

It is hard and time consuming as shit, much of it feels very rushed. But the game is actually fun

someone disagrees with you politically so you hate the game?
by god, youre all SJWs

3/10 made me reply

Tip for those who aren't crazy about the stick figure gimmick: I got Kung Fury: Street Rage and I ended up liking it more than OFDP.

yup

i wanna fug the cute bug

Freedom Planet
Grim Dawn
Fight'N Rage
Eroico