Ultra Sun or Regular Sun?

I want to get back into pokemon, haven't played since Red/Blue. Should I get Ultra Sun or regular Sun?
Eventually I want to do online battles, which has the bigger community regular or ultra?
How long does it take to find online battles? 5m? 10m? Is there a ladder or achievement system in place?

Which is the better game overall in terms of story and challenge?

Sun/Moon is better in terms of story. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is better in terms of content.

If you haven't played since Gen 1, realistically you're not going to be at a level where you can do competitive outside of Pokemon Showdown.

What's the best Pokemon game, Emerald or HeartGold.

If it weren't for the awkward level scaling of wild Pokemon, Heartgold hands-down.

what does this mean? Whats pokemon showdown, hows it different than online battles?

Blaxk/White 2

platinum is the best pokemon game

Ultra S/M are "upgraded" versions of S/M (like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, etc., not sequels like BW2). If you want to play online then definitely get Ultra Sun since you have more options, or just play on Showdown so you won't have to run in a circle breeding shit for weeks until RNG deems you worthy though you will have to deal with a fan-made meta banning everything except Landorus. Showdown is popular enough to get you a match damn near instantly at any elo in any format, but there are enough players on the actual game to get matches quickly too.

Only thing I'd get Ultra Sun/Moon for is Necrozma and catching starters. The retarded nostalgiafag callback to shitty mafia wannabe fag rockets and the shitty lame villain with a shit team on top of the Legendary exclusives and all the other Pokemon I've seen not in the game is a dealbreaker.

How's Moon in terms of content? I want Midnight Lycanroc and my Alolan Sandshrew. I'm gonna go the whole game not evolving Rowlett because I like it more than its evolutions and it'll ensure I at least get some challenge.

OP, please don't crosspost, that isn't nice

whats the difference between showdown and other online battles?

can regular Sun players fight Ultra Sun players online?

It's an online simulator, so you don't need to play the game or breed your mons, just create a team and play with it or play randomized battles

My nigga

www.pokemonshowdown.com

It's an online battle site. A lot of people on the competitive scene use it to test teams without wasting preparing/catching/breeding mons.

Red/Blue had a barebones system in place compared to what's used in anything today.

Did I miss anything?

BW2

thanks man, good info
i need to research these games more, so different than red/blue

Gen 6 and 7 are trash and have no redeeming qualities. Play HG/SS (Golden edition romhack majority of the games' faults), Platinum, Emerald or B2/W2 ( Blaze Black 2 & Volt White 2 romhacks make them even better) instead, those are the best official games.
Alternatively, download Pokemon Prism or Polished Crystal.

Seriously don't bother with any of the 3DS games, just emulate older ones for the single player and use pokemon showdown for online battles. The only scene for the official games and showdown are both filled with trash and smogonfags but at least showdown cuts out all the training shit and doesn't force you through gen 6/7's terrible single player

Thanks but I like the look of the new 3ds games and not interested in romhacks and playing on my pc.

Then pick up R/B/Y or G/S on the eshop instead, the 3DS games aren't worth the time even if you get them for free.

do those still have online battle communities for the 3ds? My friends don't play pokemon irl, and I want to battle and trade online with ppl.

Ultra Sun is a straight-up upgrade from Sun. So much so that Sun feels like an incomplete version of Ultra Sun.

They added local wifi capabilities to the GB Pokemon games? That's cool.

thanks.
Guess I'll go with Ultra then.

As a villain Giovanni is just a lame greedy, arrogant absent father nigger tier faggot that doesn't deserve to even work with actual villains like Cyrus or Ghetsis and never was interesting or threatening worth shit. And has the gall to think he's even worthy or can rule all worlds when all he ever did was get told by a clone of Mew to fuck off. Despise shit rocket and the only thing that isn't and ever wasn't shit is the female grunt design. Only thing remotely decent is the actual intended character reforming in FRLG and the Origins OVA after once wanting to somehow better the world with his criminal organization.

I can only assume they're gonna force this still obnoxious genwun wanking crossover team shit in later games as a copout excuse of a postgame now that's it's a thing.

People said there was no fucking difference several weeks ago sans a shitty story.

No only local battles/training.
If you want online battling go with pokemon showdown. You'll get all the online battling you want without having to spend 40 dollars on a bad game or having to spend 20 hours in a linear easy single player mode riddled with cut scenes.
The 3DS games are a big fucking waste of time and money, you might as well be playing pokemon go because the 3DS games are borderline mobile game quality.

Yes. Gen 6/7 are so fucking linear they make gen 3-5 look like open world games in comparison.

Mystery dungeon explorers of darkness

How is being linear a bad thing? It's not as if every game needs to be a self-insert power-fantasy.

why are you so bitter?
I don't want to play on the PC which is basically a cheat version, if you don't have to train or level up your pokemon it doesn't even count or matter. It's just a practice mode.

I like 3DS games, played the Sun demo and its nice

no thanks. pokemon belongs on gameboys not pcs or telephones

A friend of mine said its really good which annoys me. I hope he was just wrong and his taste shit because I played regular Sun and it fucking sucks. It was so handholdy that I put it down after 5 hours and did something else. I was not sure if I was still in the tutorial area or not because jesus fucking christ that game is slow and tedious

Linear is bad if it makes the world look pathetically small and only there for checkpoints.

pokemon isn't a fast paced game

Not since gen 4, no. Doesn't make it any less insulting

It's not a bad thing until the designers actively restrict player and force them to go.
Gen 1/2: You got a clear route but there is some sequence breaking you can do
Gen 3/4/5: Linear progression, but you're allowed to go off the beaten track
Gen 6: Linear but no hand holding where you want to got
Gen 7: HEY ASSHOLE WHERE ARE YOU GOING, YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO GO THERE. FOLLOW THE FUCKING MAP. WHAT YOU WANT TO GO BACK TO THAT AREA WHERE YOU JUST WERE? TOUGH SHIT ASSHOLE IT'S CUTSCENE TIME. OH DON'T WORRY I'LL HOLD YOUR HAND THE WHOLE WAY.

Because gen 6/7 are complete utter trash design for the mobile audience, and supporting it actively leads the franchise deeper into mobile waters

I'm well aware it isn't a fast-paced game but this is fucking molasses-tier, now fuck off you apologist

Pokemon Ranger

Pick one

Gen 6 had the worst handholding sans FireRed/LeafGreen and worst region.

Literally a feature since the beginning. The only sequence breaking in Gen 1 was unintentional besides how you got to Fuscia, or did you forget the guards that stopped you because they wanted a drink?

Just wait two damn minutes, press "No" at any prompt that comes up, then turn around. Literally the only areas without a point of no return are obvious, quick, or in the case of the Trials literally through a visible gate on the path.

Pic related: Obligatory

maybe you should go back to Caw O' Duty

Maybe you should kill yourself nigger

How does that invalidate the complaint?

He's complaining that you can't regress areas. The only areas I can think of with the exception of the Tapu Koko postgame encounter in Gen 7 where you can accidentally wonder into without signage that would force you into an area have a prompt before you cross into them unlike, say, that ledge after Mt. Moon in Route 4 keeping you in Cerulean City.

If you want to play competitively, I'd recommend Pokemon Showdown. If you're looking for the whole Pokemon experience (in the latest generation), Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is my recommendation. From what I've seen, it's not a sequel like BW2, but more of an upgrade of the original Sun/Moon. More content added. Many joke that Sun/Moon was essentially a paid beta test, and that Ultra is the finished product.

While there is an official battle scene broken up into seasons, be aware that the Pokemon community has no qualms with cheating and hacking. Breeding the perfect Pokemon is very tedious (it has become easier over the years), and players will take shortcuts to avoid hours of grinding and breeding.

While I didn't care that much for Sun/Moon, I encourage other fans to play it for themselves and make their own opinion. I know fans who love gen 7. There are parts gen 7 I really like, but other parts that ruined the experience for me. Just personal preference.

what do you prefer to play now and what about gen 7 ruined the experience for u?

I understand the hate for Gen 7. One reason I pirated Ultra Moon but can't bring myself to play it is the long, boring, unskippable cutscenes. Most pokemon games bar your progress, but none of them bar your progress and force you to sit through 5-10 straight minutes of full motion cutscenes involving paper-thin characters you don't give a single fuck about, so you can watch your main character look at everything with an unmoving, unchanging face.

A cutscene skip button would have fixed my major issue from Sun/Moon. It's a shame Gamefreak seems to think their shit is made of gold and even people who already saw the fucking plot from the first game need to sit through it again.

Ultra has much more content, you'd be missing a lot. The ultra wormholes let you catch just about any legendary and you have probably the best chance of finding shinies in any pokemon game so far. Still probably the low point for the series as a whole.

Don't worry about online there's plenty of people playing at all levels.

Also why did you make that image for this thread

Get none, they are easy and gay.

HeartGold no contest but Emerald has the superior Battle Frontier.