Worst Character Redesigns

what are some of the worst character redesigns that have happened?

here's my pick: Simon Belmont from Castlevania, and his redesign in Castlevania Judgement

FUCK YOU

obligatory

What were they thinking?

Propably lots of things including marketability, considering the new franchise was a huge commercial success.

Castlevania has lengthy history of shitty redesigns tbh.

SOTN Alucard looks fucking great, i have no idea what you're on about. his judgment redesign sure sucked ass but then again they all did

The real travesty is what they did to Soma when dawn of sorrow became anime-ified

What the fuck is marketable about the new design? Looks ugly and not something you'd want a plushie of.

now imagine how much huger that success would be if their primary mascot wasn't a horrifying gremlin that makes children cry

Are those fucking high heels?

Something something riding boots.
Looks gay as fuck.

Though I will say they are a half inch taller then standard.

It goes further than long hair tbh.

it's almost as though you are ignorant to historical fashion

The face is a bit androgynous, which i'd say is pretty damn common in japanese art, but i don't know what part of >>13950426's imposing stance, wide frame and pimptastic multiple coats says 'feminine' to you

says the guy with multiple images of 'gay shit' and a razer-sharp focus on dudes' hair and boots. i know the term 'projecting' gets thrown around a lot these days but come the fuck on man

Dubs confirm user is a fag>>13950599

Code Monkey fix your damn site mother fucker

LOL

What? You're the one that fucked up the post format, not the site.

he looks like a manlet

Nothing will ever compare to this.

Posting as been failing for some non-pozzed browsers Chrome-kun and fucking up files.

Nice goal posts moving faggot.

Original was "Bleh, I'm a rip off of Dracula, ha ha ha!"

Redesign worked with the idea that Alucard was closer to his mother and his human side than his vampire side. It's a thematic sort of thing, looking like the "good" parent, but still retaining traits of the evil one as he has that whole dhampir duality thing going for him.

I don't use chrome tho. The site works fine on multiple Firefox forks and Brave on my machine. I think you're just making excuses for being bad at posting :^)

Still not as bad as this.

guess it's up to me

KH ruins everything it touches to begin with.

Wow, you're right. The guy on the right looks like an ugly faggot.

Fam.

Hey man, no pictures. Not like I'm gonna read every red text that I automatically assume is autism.

Who has the time to read threads?

did they get the guy who drew death note for this?

thats more of a change in art style then a redesign and do you really expect him to wear the same clothes again?

Yes they literally did.

Actually Alucard looks more like this in CV3

but that's the best adol

Step away from the computer, Tameem.

It still hurts to this day.

nigga plz

FUCK YOU

Pity that Big Red wasn't allowed to go crazy like they wanted. It could have been a great game, if it wasn't for executive meddling.

Just looks like an aristocrat.

that looks like generic furshit

(((BLUE)))

I can appreciate concept art, but I'm glad the design came out the other side this
Some of those concepts are lacking core sonic design, aka "cool" factor.
Also, the sonic boom tv show is great.

I expect them to make his next set not shit.

On one side, a pretty cool classic design…the other? It's Masami Obari phoning it in…again. This like what, the 4th iteration of Gravion?

Was gonna post this myself. When from a cool vamp in a cloak to a bishi faggot.

Repulsive.

And every one of them has BLUE ARMS

Now see, that's the thing. I'm pretty sure Spyro's new design is one of the last reasons people bought Skylanders. If it was, the "Spyro" part of the games would be a hell of a lot more prominent than it is now.

I still can't believe this is real.

Look, I'll stop hating on Obari…when he stop just recycling Gravion for new mechs. Fuck, even Misuteru Yokoyama can make distinct looking mechs…and his mechs are from the 60's.

I was told Death Note's artist was a woman, but yes, it is the same artist.

Gravion is pinnacle of mech design.
It's just attached to terrible story and characters.
Fuck you.

You just have shit taste.

Why does El Donte look so depressed? Like at first you might think it's a smirk but that looks like the face of a man who has completely given up all hope and life.

Gravion is generic Obari shit. It's nothing new and follows in steps of other designer. Gravion wasn't even designed by him, Obari can't design mechas to save himself.

The original script had him tortured by demons while he was growing up or some shit

lmao what a loser im a cool nihilist who knows nothing matters and doesnt care abotu dumb things like hope or morals or doing my homework just like dante

Finally, someone with good taste.

Obari takes generic pieces of shit and makes them godlike.
End yourselves fucking plebeians.

So..turning unique designs…and turn it into same-y shit?

Masami Obari is a godlike Hentai designer.
Angel Blade makes me hard as fuck.

nah

From the thumbnail I was worried someone had redesigned Makoto.

So you admit he didn't design them, just adapted them. Obari stands on the shoulders of giants who know what they're doing. His adaptations simply repeat the same pattern over and over again, and Obari's originals are essentially donut steal versions of Okawara's El Doran mechas and original Gravion.

He has done the exact same shit over and over again, taking unique designs and made them look like angular shit.

Except when he's designing Mai Shiranui. Hell, a Mai knockoff from a doujin adaptation looked better

What's the green mech from? Looks pretty cool.

High heels were popularized by Louis XIV, user.

Iczer series.

because of this

Why the high heels?

Fight!! Iczer One's Iczer Robo.

I thought they were comparing judgement Simon's design to van darkholme

same

I agree, hideo kojima with long hair and fake boobs is terrible.

besides the poncho i like her new design
the short hair is cute and ara-ish

Simon was already ruined in previous redesigns. As was the entire Castlevania franchise.

Up to a few years ago he couldn't even design characters to save himself. Have you seen Gowcaizer? The Fatal Fury and AOF movies?

At least that one is done for the sake of parody unlike the previous two.

Yes…heck, I'm pretty sure he recycled characters from Fatal Fury to Gowcaiser. And yeah, the third pic was a nod to that Western cover art of Megaman.

Obari's humans have always looked like cancer had eaten half of their down syndrome face.

I just thought it was funny that so many people got butthurt over the mega man design when it was so obviously not meant to be taken seriously.

I prefer the Bayo 2 design

That was more because the game itself was a massive slap to the face and seeing any version of Mega Man would've been considered an insult.

they also had canceled mega man legends 3 so that added fuel to the fire

I think Zeldo is some of the worst. Shouldn't have changed much from OoT, don't care what lore faggotry there is to it.

Fucking hell, I forgot about Conker. Did they shelf that sadness since nobody wanted a fucking kinect?

By the way, this is Obari's design of Mai…I can name better doujin art than that.

To be fair from what I know of it I believe that was a one off "Future timeline" spinoff.
For example the hammer girl is Ebisumarus daughter, not a redesigned Ebisumaru.

Yeah pretty much. The high point of the series was the Mizuki fanservice and the rest was a bunch of uninteresting crap building up to the mecha using the "new weapon of the week because the badguy became immune to the last weapon of the week" formula.

Can't say I'm a fan of the strangeness of Sonics cyclops eye myself, if they stealthily got rid of just that I wouldn't mind.

Jesus Christ. I don't miss that 90's art style.

So they took two Mega Man characters I really liked, and mashed them together, and then I didn't like it.

Don't even call it 90's, man, that's an insult to other 90's design.

Believe it or not, there is a Zero.exe…looks like a damn Kamen Rider villain.

I still haven't watched that hentai.

He's a unitard!

Actually, what's wrong with Kamen Rider villains? Because that could work as a good Ex-Aid bugster. Or a Gobusters monster.

Why did they cut off Ike's head and attach it to a robot body with a sword for an arm?

Look out of place in an EXE series. Now if it was a KR villain, would've marked out for this.

And not as a Monster of the week either, as a nemesis or something.

To be honest most of the redesigns in Black Mesa Source are terrible.

It's not exactly a "worse" redesign…just a tad nitpicky on my part. I just never did like the redesign on the Sneaking Suit in MGS2 onwards…safe for Phantom Pain's Sneaking Suit design. Maybe it's because they removed the body armor bit and the pants are actually look like pants and not like Snake is wearing "nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all"

Sora literally looks much better and has a more consistent, thematic design. What the fuck is wrong with you?

Hate it.

This doesn't look bad.

And you shouldn't.

Why? Is it NTR? Is it the one with the ugly bastard?

No, it just looks fucking shit with faces, garbage bag excuses of tits and it's a shit excuse of yuri and incest with a used goods mother.

I don't think they mashed them up as much as continued the overall style in that direction. All the EXE designs are more ninja-warrior-y

Just watch it yourself you fucking weeb. The whole thing is watchable for free like every-fucking-where.

Problem is..I can't tell what's that from. Pretty sure there's like 10 titles out there with that art style.

There thankfully isn't.

Mother-Daughter ♥ Breast-Milk Combo.
Now go make your own damn opinion about it like the big boy you are instead of pestering strangers on the internet.

Lactation is the only part that isn't shit.

…Oh that one..yeah that was crap.

It's a cool sleek design that is an awesome boss concept which was what it was designed for. Since in the original Battle Network he was a late game boss fight.

I keep forgetting "sleek" when describing the qualities of certain designs.

I think that's what I like about Megaman Zero's concept art at least and some newer cards in Yugioh. Zero looks like he can easily break into a full speed dash or a smooth slide across just about any terrain or stop/land exactly when he needs to for an attack and he looks more than light enough to move fast, which he absolutely needs with his sword. The same mentality must apply to Protoman EXE.

It's not just hipster, it's advanced hipster.

I'm not really hating on it, There's just something about it. When I see it, it doesn't say Proto Man to me. It could be the fact he has a sword and not a shield and long hair instead of the scarf.

Shields were never cool at all tbh

No wonder "badasses" don't have them today.

Can I hate SOTN Richter instead? I mean, seriously, he used to look cool

I can name some badasses that uses shields. There's Link…Sophitia….um…Captain America?

You know, despite Mirror of Fate being the worst Castlevania game I've ever played, it probably has some of my favorite designs for the characters.

I kind of like the idea of the assassins using the aperture science leg brace things

Chicken Chaser!? More like Potato Face!

Simon does look cooler. A bit of an Oni look to him, huh?

Stronk womyn must look like neanderthals.

t. Ashly Burch

He has the shield too, you just don't see it until he needs to use it.

I think she's cute tbh

I had more of a problem with her personality redesign. Given the first game's story wasn't much to go off of, but in the reboot she just came off as a cocky teen.

See how less detailed it is? I suppose the shitty WiiU hardware is to blame.

I still don't know why they decided to shoehorn Spyro into Skylanders, only to do that. If the idea was to attract former Spyro fans, that redesign just pushes them away.

I haven't played it, just because of the shameless change to her face. Even though I joked with my friends about her having downs when the game just came out, I really thought it was cool to have a unique, down-to-earth kind of look on the protagonist for once, a character that looks like somebody you might know.

wow, I was writing this just as
that came up. looks like spyro caught it and faith got cured.

Oobari, stop shitposting and go finish Angel Blade.

oh thats fuckin funny.
thats funny as shit.

Simon wasn't the worst redesign in that game.

She looks like a fucking generic Skyrim NPC. That's hilarious.

Damn, I really do like the concept art, though. There's a distinctive charm only western concept art has for a reason. Almost like you almost always naturally wish it was what we got instead because it was scrapped for time or thought it wouldn't look as good.

I wouldn't bother. The story is basically the same and the changes made to the freerunning don't feel like an improvement. This also might be one of the few cases where devs shouldn't have listened to what most fans were asking for because making the game open world really kills it for me. Only when you are inside the buildings does it start to feel good again because without the tight level design most of the game is just slogging through the same old rooftops.

Maybe it's the thought of it coming from westerners similar in cartoon and movie influence to us just sitting at a desk leisurely doodling shit waiting to find something they like and you could once tell actually liked their fucking jobs and just wanted to create this crazy things in their heads they thought would be fun or cool.

Even God of War has this sense of fun, seeing what sticks, imagination and high spirits in its unlockable development video for the first game. Really comfy to eat something to. You can even unlock everyone's favorite scrapped armors that were thought simply not fitting enough by gitting gud. Now that's something you won't ever fucking see today again.

Fuck, I meant designs, not just a single full body armor.

You didn't want to see what they did to Maria and Eric in Judgement….

Grant Danasty is still the worst. Sure the others look like Death Note characters poorly crossplaying as Castlevania characters but this isn't even trying.

Grant's Judgement look does remind me of Jack from Power Stone

They didn't. They got a woman and gave her a blue wig. Ike's jaw is way manlier than that shit.

I don't think armor works like that.

didn't MvCI fuck up his face even more?

checkmate alutheists

THE BEST
THE BEST
THE BEST

Soma Cruz looked pretty spot on in Judgement though.

I didn't know Light Yagami was into BDSM.

was not a fan of KOF13s ralf and clark at all

Can't say I liked any of 12/13s designs. It just seems so inconsistent.

WORST REDESIGN EVER

Deepest
lore

the 6th is hidden between the middle two

Anyone do this one yet?

Wow, it goes from something that looks like a legitimate threat to a piece of cosplay any idiot could cook together in an afternoon.

That's pretty much Oblivion in a nutshell. The monsters in particular look like shitty Power Rangers costumes.

Do you think a necromancer feels cold, when he walks around his dungeon barefoot?

Also you forgot to include Mannimarco from TESO.

scrotto

Mannimarco from TESO looks good

Honestly this art was drawn by a woman. Of course it looks like its from yaoi manga.

To be honest he looks like some elf from lord of the rings. I'd imagine however next TES game looking like fucking lotr if it will be set in summerset or valenwood.

SotN Alucard is simply a boot intended for riding (even though Alucard never rides a horse) that were the ancestors to modern high heels. The others have no excuse.

I think you can give the second point a pass seeing the half life marines are a special hazardous combat/cleanup unit of retards trained to drop grenades at their feet and stand there until death.

That Goth girl looks… cute

I hate how they are trying to make Sir Dan look more "cute" or child friendly as opposed to creepy original look.
Sad thing is the PS4 remaster is most likely going to look like resurrection as well.

I still can't get over the fact that we went from a legitimate alien to a yellow fox with japan pandering hugebrows

He barely looks any different

cloud then and before was because he dressed as a tranny and got sodomized, you aren't the same when you get raped :^)

She looked ok to me. The concept art I like except for the tumblr nose

Not bad looking, but looked like a completely different character.

The entirety of SC2 could easily count, tbh.

Still 10/10

GAR as fuck and true onifam.

What shitty 3rd world country do you live in that you didn't learn basic history?

Plebs should be euthanized.

The image in the middle is the worst design of the three.

Not to mention making Maze white.
Brown-skinned people can't have a slight chance at being portrayed evil, nope! Now his proportions don't look natural and why a white person would come from his home country doesn't make sense now

well that's one thing but i think we can all agree that what they did to Sniper joe going from Mega Man 1 to 2 is a travesty

They got it so right the first time Like holy shit how did they fuck up so bad.

Modern Yoshi is a disaster.

As a young'un I always thought they had black faces under those masks as well as black arms and legs. Nigger Joes I called 'em.

haha

Are you high or something?
Maze was always white.

Wow fucking intense flashbacks bro. Probably haven't seen or thought about this movie in like over 15 years. Think they use to play it all the time on Disney channel. The things that trigger memories man.
Just finished watching it again, meh it's actually a pretty ok enjoyable movie

But OP, those aren't even the worst Judgement redesigns. Eric Lecarde and Grant Danasty are worse.

Soma Cruz wasn't in Judgement you little shit.

I like it! Obari's work is so bad that it's good!

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to catch that.

Wait…thhat's Mai?

Completely agree.

S M A S H E D
L
A
M
M
E
D

she doesn't look that bad. If you're going to shit on a game for being western I know you are don't lie then shit on it for the right reason like shitty gameplay. So far Bioware is the king of ugly characters.

Nigger, nothing has changed in his design, sans the adiition of an iris. It's just the terrible early CGI of the time that makes him look a lot creepier then intended.

His design doesn't look like it changes almost at all. A bigger issue is the total obliteration of his character in the remake of the first game.

What the fuck is wrong with you nigger

The boobs are bigger so no.

That would imply implants after going full whore

Whatever you say poofty

Pretty much every change after Dragon Age Origins, except for maybe Qunari.

They got rid of the ridiculous shoulder pads, but didn't realise how cool they looked.

He looks like he suffers from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

I like that crazy ass mantle and cape personally. Looks like his mantle is a disgusting spider with many eyes.

Nobody posted the most obvious yet?

Human barbarian Qunari>Commie demon Qunari.

I like the face and body proportions of new Lara. They absolutely should not have done what they did, shrinking her chest and covering her up is an unacceptable change. However if we were to look at them as two separate characters of no relation to each other I'd say I like the new look better, but only when she's clean.

Jesus, what the fuck did they do to Alistair? He looks like a half melted plastic toy covered in mucus. It doesn't even look like the same person anymore.

I didn't find the re-design of Dante to be too offensive. At least not on a strictly visual basis. It's the fact that they gave him a constant scowl and decided to turn the angst up to 11 that bothered me.

TESO may not be great but it's better than oblivion.

I personally found the brownwashing of Isabella to be a greater offense.

This was what killed tumblrtale for me.

wat

I don't know what they're paying these writers, but it's not nearly enough.

Everything looks worse, especially her costume.

short hair isn't hot as fuck

the poster you're replying to has consumed an excess of soy products and therefore his sex drive leads him to desire masculine females. this is where the disagreement stems from.

and he can't even do that right

You know the fun part of having masculine females? Breaking them in…

Did they even make an attempt to rectify this? How do her abilities work without hair magic?

That's the whole point of being a man though

Women don't just have hair on their head.

The fun part is enjoying how amazingly tight their vajayjays are.

All of you are retarded.

DmC Dante technically wasn't a redesign since it was suppose to be an entirely separated reboot, contrary to what dmcucks were suggesting.

Reboots are just where they redesign the entire franchise instead of only redesigning a few things. If DmC Dante wasn't a redesign then he was just outright plagiarised - there was already a character in Devil May Cry called Dante, and I'm supposed to believe that this new Dante guy in the new Devil May Cry is an Original Content Donut Steel, instead of a shitty rehash?

Polite sage for unnecessary pedantic bickering.