Good hard games

What are the hardest GOOD games you've ever played, Holla Forums? I'm playing through this right now, and even though there's definitely some bullshit sprinkled in and the fact that some secrets involving hitting invisible triggers to activate is retarded, it's visually charming, sounds great, and the platforming controls are really nice. Having a lot of fun with it.

meme responses like Souls, Fallout 4 or the Cuphead tutorial will be muted

aragami

Skyrim

Battletoads.

Interesting, I judged by the players that the teleport mechanics would make the game piss easy. I literally didn't pirate it because of that.

I don't know if you're trying to meme, but I genuinely like battletoads, and it's absolutely bullshit, so good answer.

I guess I should clarify what I mean by good hard. Ideally they should be games that are genuinely difficult/challenging without being poorly designed, but also valid would be games that are kind of bullshit, but are still fun to play in spite of it.

No, actually. Despite all the bullshit this game gives me, it's genuinely challenging, it looks real fucking good by NES standards, it's real fun once I got into it. It's probably my fourth favorite game of all time.

its 1 hit you die and the shadows are few because its a full moon

X-COM can be pretty unforgiving on Superhuman. NuCOM is also challenging but for different reasons and it's not nearly as good.
Super Meat Boy has some tricky levels towards the end.
Spacechem is hard, and the DLC levels are even harder.
Doom can be pretty hard depending on the maps and mods you're using.

DK

I suck major balls at all the Metal Slug games, but the first few are really good. I'm in the process of 1cc'ing it, but still have a ways to go.

But the triggers aren't even actually invisible, they're just tiny sparkles.

I love monster hunter and its pretty hard, especially later on in monster hunter tri when you do "Mark of a hero"

Ys

Yeah, too bad the spawns are always the same so instead of gitting gud you're actually just memorizing the enemies and their locations.

Finished it, pretty happy with it. The bullshit got more common towards the end, but it also had some really creative and interesting challenges that I appreciated. Although Mr. Skops might be my least favorite boss of all time, not even because he was all that hard, just because he was so unpleasant to fight. Mr. Dark was kind of a letdown too.

Also the MegaTen games are some of my favorites and they can all get pretty challenging, the old ones like pic related especially.

I definitely noticed some of them that had the sparkle indicators, but there were absolutely a bunch that had zero indicator whatsoever. I'd almost say it felt close to the majority. Usually they at least made some sense though, even if they weren't directly pointed to.

All good ones

My absolute negroes

How familiar are you with the stealth genre?

Crypt of the Necrodancer
I was horrible at the game when I just started, got gud ten times over, and yet the game always has a more unforgiving challenge to offer, no matter how gud you git

Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts really impressed me with how hard but fair it usually was. The game loop thing is bullshit, though.

Dark souls tutorial