Your personal GOTY

I think it's about that time of year. What is your personal Game of the Year? For me Divinity Original sin 2 is the only right answer. Mario Odessey was also nice but no other game had as much content or was as well made as OS2.

Nex Machina
It's so fast, varied and smooth that it puts Sonic to shame

I liked the new Mario game. Also splatoon 2.

I really liked original sin 2 but act 3 and 4 were a letdown. I don't feel it deserves any awards but it's a good game overall.

I am slightly a slight completionist so by the time I got to act 3 I already had over 100 hours of gameplay with my friends so even if you just consider the first 2 acts alone, that is a huge game.

Nioh gets my vote. Hits all the right strings.

SJW city, that you can admittedly gas, was pretty big bummer, and "choose an ending after killing last boss" didn't win any points with me either.
But overall DOS2 is one of the best games this decade, it's just there too many good games this decade overall.
I personally settle for tomato, it's literally perfect, might as well be my GOAT.

Nier Automata. Fuck it, it'll do.

Nioh. It's a good game but most of the entertainment for me came from watching Dark Soul babbies complaining about it doesn't play like Dark Souls.

It's Cuphead, the only really original game.

What is it you like most about DOS:2? I'm at the final boss fight and while I did enjoy it I can't see myself playing it again for a long time (but that may be because I ran it through over the course of 2 weeks)

A tie between Ruiner and Nex Machina. I fucking love top down shooters.

i also really enjoyed it, but also burned myself out since I spent like 100% of my free time on it.

Haven't played Divinity 2 yet but so far I'm really leaning towards Hollow Knight. Expected nothing and was ultimately blown away. In fact it's one of the few games I actually took time to do the achievements on just because I wanted more.

I don't think I've played anything else that's come out this year. Doesn't matter though, because while the first game was a rocky start this is the most fun I've had playing a Total War game since Medieval 2. Not even bothered by the DLC, aside from the bullshit blood pack.

A toss up between these two games.

Nier: Autofellatio and (if expansions for games count) XCOM 2: War of the (((Chosen))) since those two were the only ones I actually brought/played this year. I had more enjoyment out of watching shitty anime than video games this year. I think I'm growing out of them.

Rainbow Six: Siege is the only game I've liked since 10 years or so.

I cry at night

It's gotta be Cuphead. If only for that god awful tutorial gameplay

It was a generous year for weebs but I'd say this one.

How do you like the new seasons, user? Don't you love OC donut steel Ops and recoiless weapons? Who am I kidding? Siege is dying.

Before some faggot gets in here and starts spewing that garbage BOTW and Persona 5 are not GOTY material, get out you fucking redditors.

This, Odyssey or Nier

Who gives a fuck? Whether it's "official" or personal goty means jack shit.

I gotta somewhat agree with you, it didn't seem as complex at first but the sheer variety of fucked up factions make it interesting. For sure my favourite PC game this year.

Overall I think Mario may be my favourite, though there's a few games I still need to get to this year.

Persona 5, I guess. Not sure if it counts because it was technically released last year, but didn't hit American shores until 2017.

Futaba is best girl btw.

see

HZD

Considering you care what an autistic fuck somewhere in the world thinks his meaningless goty is, ii sounds like you're the reddit.
But it's old news, Holla Forums is filled with underage faggots.

If you lived in a world where you could fuck whatever you wanted and not worry about STDs because of magic armor, I am pretty sure most people would go full lizard fucker too.

I have a top 4.

THIS IS MY GAME, IT WAS MADE FOR ME TIER
1 - Nioh
I can't believe it's not dark souls - Samurai Warriors edition isn't a hard game to describe. It's dark souls, with more stylish and punishing combat, a mission-based progression, and diablo loot. Is it better than DaS and consorts ? Not really, the level design's kind of shit outside of a select few maps, and the randomized loot just removes a lot of what makes the formula work. It's take it or leave it, really, and boy do I take it.
Everything from the Sengoku setting and cool yôkai to the invitation to fuck around in sub-missions caters pretty much exactly to what I like in video games. Nioh presents a good alternative to invasions that are more fitting to a PvE game. Onmyo magic can get fucking retarded in its crippling of enemies, but ties into the combat system so you're not just here spamming R1. Overall, a game I can't stop playing, with the promise to stay that way for a very long time.

YEAH LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES TIER
2 - Super Mario Odyssey
Odyssey is kind of jarring at first. As could be expected of a mario game, the gameplay feels incredibly smooth and organic, the aesthetics are vibrant and joyful, and the OST is one to sing along with. It's the content that's strange. The world is divided into more than a dozen kingdoms, and while some appear up to par with 64 and Sunshine, a lot feel tiny. To boot, you're not completing set broader challenges taking place in the levels, you're just collecting moons lying around. And a lot of those are easy. Like, insultingly easy.
The hook that lets you look past that is that the game is full of surprises. It really works on its travel theme with constant discovery. But ultimately the story is kind of short, and you fuck around in the levels, collecting every moon in sight, each one thankfully entailing more challenge and complexity than the ones literally just lying around. That is the moment when Odyssey gets real. You look at your moon collection, thinking you've looked pretty much everywhere. And then the game tells you "That's cute, but you've collected only a third of moons on this level. Hop to it, bitch."
A normal game gives you a set goal and lets you find ways to solve it. Odyssey gives you a world filled to the brim with shit to do on an unprecedented scale. Every new recovery requiring more and more observation and dexterity to find and get to until you're doing really autistic shit. It's essentially secret hunting in a conventional game, only here it's 80% of the time you're going to spend. It expects you to like playing video games for the sake of it. It's the joy of gaming in a distilled form.
It must be noted that the lack of a spooky level is some bullshit.

3 - Breath of the Wild
We all know the story. Perfect scores, unbelievable uproar, so it's Holla Forums's job to go against the grain and heroically stand up against the normalfags and proclaim it's shit. Yeah, no, not gonna happen. I do have a few reservations. Do I want this to be the new standard for Zelda ? No, I don't. It's completely different in nature, so much it can be considered a new IP being sold on the Zelda name. Is it flawless in execution ? No, some areas are definitely subpar and the season pass can honestly fuck right off.
But despite the baggage, it is plain and simple intellectual dishonesty to think Breath of the Wild is anything else than Nintendo brutally schooling the western industry on the subjects of open world and emergent gameplay. Having to employ every possible means against the cold to get to the summit of a mountain, only to be presented with a huge dragon boss flying around the different summits of a mountain range, and being told "good luck killing it" is the quintessence of adventure. Anyone trying to pass it off as being Skyrim is lazier than a nigger on welfare.

A MAN LIKE ME…HASN'T RUN OUT OF TEARS? TIER
4 - Shin Yomawari (Yomawari Midnight Shadows)
Yomawari 1 was a violent, but simple game. You are a little girl. Your dog gets killed. You go home and tell your sister your dog ran away. Sister goes alone into the night to find him. She isn't coming back. You have to face the night, and the night is no place for you. It mostly worked because of nice japanese ghosts designs and a sad, but simple story about an elementary school kid coming to understand death and the cruelty of the world. The gameplay was a tense die-and-retry, where you escaped ghosts just in the nick of time or died. After you were done with the story, you could explore town and see all kinds of optional events and hallucinations.
Yomawari 2 is largely the same deal, but bigger and more complex. Ghosts are much more varied, as are the strategies against them. The town is bigger, and you can revisit the old one post-game. There is, however, a key difference - the story.
Alright, so you know how you like subtle horror in games? Well Shin Yomawari grabs you by the neck, pins you to the ground, and bashes your face in. The setpieces, like the mansion, use every trick in the spooky book. The story is absolutely not fucking around. It starts with a little girl killing herself, and from then on it's a wild ride into the depths of despair, from which there are no miraculous getaways.
Two sizeable caveats. One - Translated by NISA. No memes, but an americanized and generally quite insipid script. At the very least it gets the story across, though some phrases seem like they couldn't possibly come out of little girls. Thankfully the Japanese script is here, and is written entirely in kana. Elementary school girls and all. Two - Bosses can get fucking annoying more than scary, and the final boss is one frustrating piece of shit, only made worse by unskippable cutscenes.

Sonic Mania
Yakuza 0 is retroactively my 2015 GOTY

So many to pick from this year. I'll stick with Nier. Other than that, its meaningless.

Someone already picked that.

Between these four. It was a good year for weeb games.

game was just fucking fantastic

Another vote for yakuza 0. Can't wait for 6 and kiwami 2.

Does Yakuza Kiwami count because other than that the only new game I've played this year is Project Diva Future Tone and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Nier: Automata
Emil and Ending E made me cry.

Same for me. I originally stayed away from it because I thought it was just a random game trying to get the shovel knight audience, and it turned out completely different.
I just found out there's a third free update coming some time that will likely have new areas and a fourth update (maybe paid) that lets you play as hornet, and I haven't even played the new stuff from grim troop so I'm going to wait for it all and replay it.

Manly weeb games are still weeb games.

It is straight up not anime.

Said it last thread and I'll say it again. More or less arranged from top left to bottom right in the order I'd rank them. There are a few games I think could be contenders but I haven't gotten around to them yet.

No

I don't see any burly men pummeling each other with the ancient art of Akuma baka ken at school while edgy losers cutting themselves in that game. Bad news about your assumption right here.

Hornet update will be free, I'm pretty sure it was a Kickstarter goal that got met. Hadn't heard about any updates after the third free one, I'll have to check into it.

As a complete package I don't think there's much that comes close in terms of design. A lot of games have done exceptional in terms of certain aspects, like Cupheads soundtrack or Mario's gameplay, but every facet of HK is just done so consistently well that it's hard to believe it was made by amateurs.

News to me. I was reading that the third update (next one) will be free but after that there aren't guarantees of free updates.

I'm not going to try to argue that it's in any way objectively the best game to come out this year, but I knew exactly what to expect going into it - and it delivered on or exceeded my expectations in every single way.

That's rare these days.

Just bought this today. What am I in for?

How the fuck did you get past the god awful dialouge?
Nip language World of Final Fantasy is my personal GotY simply because it scratches that pokemon itch that pokemon hasn't been able to scratch for nearly a decade.

Skeleton playthrough is the only playthrough that matters

I didn't know video game journalists post on Holla Forums.

I read you can also be a cannibal elf. What's the deal? Is this finally a game where elves aren't faggots?

Elves eat things to gain their memories, I never played that class but my friend seemed to like that race.

That dialogue was so god damn unfunny I couldn't get past the portal that appears in the murder scene.

I skip wordshit and turn off voice acting, journalist-kun, because I play games for the trigger warning gameplay.

It's called hiding the problem.

I haven't picked up a "new" game in a while

Dark Souls 3. I'm behind on gaming, so it's new to me, it'll do for a GOTY.
I'm going to enjoy eventually playing Witcher 3.

t. video game journalist

it's okay, it's your personal GotY. You can enjoy subpar products. That's what this thread is about.

Go back to polygon, journalist.
And D:OS2 was shit because Larian went after the casuals big time by making it story focused and multiplayer focused, instead of improving the solid combat system they had in the first game.

Is that really all you can say?

You're not serious are you?

It's okay, some people don't mind *glomp* in their game.

Write another article about how hard Cuphead is.

*glomp* :^)

Exactly, D:OS2 had shit gameplay, which is why it was a bad game.

it had gameplay that has been done better before ON TOP of having dialogue that sounds like it was written by the biggest faggot on tumblr.

Gameplay is the only reason to play a video game unless you're a journalist and D:OS2 had gameplay that was a downgrade from the first game.

i hope they listen to the retarded fanbase and remove friendly fire so i can be free from this once and for all

????????????
I can understand for DOS 1 but 2? Are you seriously getting triggered over the occasional shitty one-liners?

People read the text?

DOS1's dialogue was unplayably bad compared to DOS2. Jesus christ, it sounds like a bad Saturday morning cartoon, but not even in the fun way.

But do you have anything to back up your claim that the dialogue is bad in DOS 2?

Sure, the entire beginning up to the murder scene. Every time the wizard opened his mouth I wanted to alt+f4.

Nobody tell him.

Regardless of what you think of the sequel's dialogue, you'd have to be fucking high to think DOS1's dialogue was better in any way.

If we are thinking of the same murder scene then I can't.
I fucking can't

Its even worse since he either didn't even look at the OP image or doesn't know roman numerals.

Ebin at this point. Ignore.

It's a PC game. Jesus, you really are as stupid as a journalist, aren't you?

Nier: Automata and I'm not even a nierfag.

I can't understand what people see in this game, you can cheese the first two (or three, don't remember) bosses like a retard and then get that stupid difficulty spike in the next one because you wouldn't bother "playing right" since the game doesn't encourage you to do that. Also, if I remember it right all the telegraphed boss movements needed some inhuman reflex or basically didn't exist and their counters were just broken, you literally could strike the boss like 4 times and in some random time he would block your attack, no indication, no clues.

Also, IMO, the whole hub thing is retarded I thought the point of this twitchy games is going straight to action. I know you can say the hub is like a quiet time, like the apartment is in Hotline Miami, but that would self deception, the designers literally scratched their itch for "open world features" and put a place for their side quests.

Also, the girl's intentions are quite obvious from the start, kind of ruining any expectation for a good twist, but that's more like an afterthought since writing quality is not something you care much in run 'n' gun games.

Good taste

Hundreds of hours of Fun faggotry. Play it with a friend if you can. You can literally just send someone your files and play it with them since the game has no DRM.

You can do the same thing with literally every single steam game because they are all cracked hours upon release.

How is the loot situation is DOS II? Is it still the awfully retarded randomization that nearly forced you to save scum and rob everyone to not be under geared? Maybe I had shit luck, but most containers in DOS I were empty during my playthrough.

No Bellegar no game of the year.

I pretty much ignored gear and was able to play through fine

You can't do that on high difficulty because of the retarded gear score scaling that's tied with hit rates for some reason.

Was anything censored in Divinity 2? After what they did with I'm having a hard time justifying buying it. I don't need to know the story of the censored first game right?

DOS2 was pretty good but I'd vote for Nier, it just had a much harded emotional impact on me, I felt like shit for like 2 or 3 days after that ending

Arx, a city near the end of the game, is full of SJW bullshit, you literally cannot walk 50 meters without running into faggot marrige. But up to that point it's 100% SJW free, even the female outfits don't look like burkas anymore, which they did in the first game.

Nothing I am aware of. You can bone a bunch of shit and romance some stuff, there was even a skele telling you your dick is small in one cave.

Thats not actually censoring. Its just gay shit. Good thing you can gas 'em.

Was the best game i played this year in the sense that it constantly had me coming back for more,even when i was fucking angry at party or character wipes,also i didn't play anything from this year so,tough shit for 2017.

Not censored but buged and broken. There are quests which didn't conclude and end properly. There are many places, npcs and items which are quest-tied, but since the devs runned out of time their quest weren't inserted.

Divinity: original Sin 2 is a game of the year for me too, but i wouldn't recommand it to buy! Wait for the Enchanted Edition! The devs don't do dlcs or major fixes. The real full game with many extra, bug fix, plus quest and expansion size content will be come out in an Enchanted Edition.

Tl;dr: Pirate it!

Mine was Cuphead by default because it's the only game I bought that came out this year, if Autotomato didn't have Denuvo I would've bought it. Also what were you all replying to.

Don't have one, this year pretty much only had mediocre games at best (which is admittedly better than the last few years, but still shit). I guess I had fun with pic related

I just bought that game at $7 at walmart, it came with classic and enchant editions, which one is better?

Go To Bed Simulator 2017

I need more morgana r63

elex

EE has more content but a lot of NO FUN ALLOWED balancing.

Doom is my GOTY

The new Mario game looks cool. Can't say newer games interest me too much though.
I'm getting too old.

One of the main reasons why I played videogames were for the art, too bad that even a good bit ofjapanese games have terrible art direction now since all of the white western artists they ripped off of are dying off and the older generation is nearing its end. Sega always had great artists but Sammy fucked them hard. Nintendo's shit always adheres to a set model. Videogames are so goddamn samey nowadays it's depressing. Cemented culture kills growth since there'm no room for roots, and I can blame kikes and commies for that.

I can never take this picture seriously with his left hand holding a muzzle flash.

That's an imp's fireball.

Nier a tomato for me. Divinity 2 was great for act 1 and 2 but 3 and 4 were just so fucking shit it really soured the game for me. Even gassing fag city isn't enough to save that shit show of an act.
Nioh is okay but I only just pirated it so it's still too early. Breath of the goyim was occasionally comfy but so many bad design choices made it the boring trash everyone who isn't a nintoddler expected it to be. I hope normalfags have realized open world games are boring trash but that would be expecting too much from them.

tell me more

Why don't you just jewgle some pretty pictures then?

Not him, but in DivOS2 people turned enemies into chickens and caused damage when enemies moved.
Devs nerfed it, because muh balance in a single player (or coop) game.

Expect to fuck lizard women. Bonus points if you're undead.

Yeah I enjoy them less and less. I'm also worried about anime and manga. LNs are people inspired by manga, inspired by videogames. Old art is going to die out as everyone only draws the simple stuff now.
Before shit was original or inspired by mythology or other such things. Now they will be inspired by generic, cliche anime. Or god forbid, light novels.
Allthough the latter is unlikely given how replaceable everything is, and how it's forgotten.
Honestly the art is my biggest fear, allthough I'm tired of "Otaku in vidya world" and still hate anything set in highschool.

D:OS2 has the best monstergirls.

Slugs, undead (male), lizards, elves, humans, was there anything I missed?
Oh

elves are pretty standard hippie stlye, leaves n shit. but they also turn into tree and eat people. its a pretty decent twist on an otherwise tired concept of tolkien evles.

Mechanically in-game they're great if you're running a full party. Eating body parts can sometimes result in new spells and an extra action point is invaluable at times

did the whole slug wedding proposal lead to anything?

They removed or nerfed all the fun and unintended combinations like fire shield + immolation + cluster spores which gives you huge fire shield hp and while killing everything around you.