Factorio

Does anyone know why the electricty randomly spikes? The red line is where is usually sits consuming 10 MW. Also factorio thread i guess

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/games/427520/announcements/detail/1470853226380366923
factorio-mods.tech/en/
factorio.com/buy
8agdg.wikidot.com/wiki:arwm
wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/Spritify
forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54538
factorio.su/en/
mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel/aai-vehicles-miner
wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial
wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Main_bus
thepiratebay.org/torrent/19358842/Factorio_0.16.2_(experimental)_-_Windows
thepiratebay.org/torrent/19358835/Factorio_0.16.2_(experimental)_-_Mac_OS_X
thepiratebay.org/torrent/19358785/Factorio_0.16.2_(experimental)_-_Linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

read the graph nigga, its probably a combination of things that aren't being used 24/7 because of a bottleneck somewhere

Your production bar is maximized and the accumulator is expending energy, your boilers are barely producing enough energy to power your shit.

If satisfaction goes down, that means you're not producing enough. If production is maximized, that means your power generation is working at maximum speed and all of it is being used. The former will happen once your accumulator runs out of charge.

This is how it is whe it's not fucked up, I can produce alot more tan 18 MW maxed

Many, if not all, machines consume varying amount of energy depending on what they're doing.
An electric mining drill consumes a lot of energy, but filling every mine with electric mining drills doesn't actually costs a lot of energy because the belts will be full. And if they're full, the electric mining drills can't turn on, which means they consume significantly less energy.
The same also applies to inserters, assemblers, electric furnaces, science labs, etc.
They always consume energy, but when they're not doing anything, they consume very little. (In fact, fast inserters are generally cheaper in terms of energy due to them being quicker at their job.)

Accumulators also play into it. When you don't have them, you see the result of lacking energy production immediately. Everything slows down. Accumulators hide spikes of energy consumption (which is their purpose), but if you have a lot of them you wont see a lack of energy production until they're all emptied.

What is probably happening is that your factory cannot sustain the power to have all the machines working all at once. They're usually not, but when enough resources build up on the belt, all the assemblers get going, which causes the power needs to spike. That causes a brownout, so the miners/smelters go slower which means less stuff on the belts, and then not as many assemblers are working. So the power needs drop, the belts start to fill up again, more assemblers start working again, and then power needs spike. It keeps on looping.

Basically, you have enough power to sustain your factory's MINIMAL needs, but not its MAXIMUM needs. It's an easy fix: just add another 20 or 30 engines; they're pretty cheap to build. But don't forget to shore up your defenses right away, because more engines means more pollution means more biters.

Lasers?
Clogged conveyers suddenly letting miners activate?
Lot of potential.

Power spikes are usually lasers, in your case it's probably accumulators drawing power from the net and some part of your factory doing a lot more work than usual. Also if you're having power issues you might not want to use electric furnaces.

(checked)
This, my experience with power spikes has always been lasers.

It's probably roboports charging bots. They tend to be spikey. Otherwise its just things turning on/off.

Your accumulators can only charge with the surplus power so whenever they need charging they'll take everything your power grid has spare to do it as quickly as possible. Also why do you have accumulators but no solar panels?
You should have a line to automate the building of solar panels at about this stage and then just fill a large empty area with them to save you some resou
Are those fucking chests feeding your boilers? What the fuck user. Nothing should be hand placed. Feed them with a belt or bots so you don't have to keep running over there.

Looks neat but you've already spaghetti'd by cramming everything together. There's no room to tidily expand without jumping over lines.

fug

My first megabase.

Looks similar to my own setups, mine tend to turn into clusterfucks though once I reach around midgame. Doesn't help I do absolutely no planning either and wound up with bottlenecks out the ass

So is there a new pirate site for Factorio already or something? Factorio.xyz is ded

CHRISTMAS IS COMING EARLY
steamcommunity.com/games/427520/announcements/detail/1470853226380366923

FUCKING ===YES===

someone has been playing supcom.

Fuck yes. Now all they need to do is implement a way to attach NUKES to these shells, so you can one-shot entire nests. Unf!

When are these fuckers going to put their game on sale? Its been a constant 25 shekels since release.

Very neat.

Accumulators eat a lot when they charge. Why do you even have them when you have steam engines?

are there any good mods?
will the combat ever get some sprucing up? it doesn't have to be amazing, if the combat was on par with a standard twin-stick it'd be fantastic.

They said they never intend to do sales. $25 is not exactly a lot for a full-fledged autismo game you can sink hundreds of hours into.

this will be the very first mod made after this comes out

Then what's the point? The whole appeal of the concept was that you could do something about biters fucking with your trains without covering the entire track with turrets.

Also now you'll be incentivized to use trains as static turrets in your base.

If it has super long range, the idea would be to build a track to the edge of its range and snipe nests with your doom train

Then keep building more track and continue

Nah, you build a Doomtrain to patrol your megafactory, stopping every now and then sniping the nests too close to your wall. Turrents take out the biters that attack from this, in total reduces the amount of defending you have to do and lets you expand more easily since you have a clean zone around your base.

Well that's nice, I hope it will be possible to mod in a rocket/cannon artillery vehicle in this game so that they can benefit from this firing via map function too. That being said, are they ever going to enhance the aliens somehow? I used to kill those ayy all the time via a tank and it doesn't feel that satisfying killing them, since those fuckers spawn all the fucking time, which requires constant maneuvering.

Dunno what their plans are. Consensus among players seems to be that aliens are annoying and shouldn't even be in the game, so I think the devs aren't likely to pay much attention.

Well thats fucking great, it's already nice and dandy that Factorio has a decent system when it comes to product automation, my main interest for this game was for its combat stuff appeal since it seems to handle millions of ayys just fine, but man there is a certain "something" which I find it hard to describe so that it is actually fun killing them. This game lets you literally build a fucking fortress and then be done with it, since there is no special event or special enemy type to keep the player in toe so that despite he build a fortress he still needs to watch out for it.

inb4 they are going to remove all combat systems and ayys because of muh popular vote or some shit like that.

Nah, doubtful. It's mostly the autist megabasers who turn off aliens and pollution for performance reasons. I'm sure the average player are OK with it, it's just the most vocal crowd that thinks everything but building bigger bases is a waste of time.

Probably best to fish around for a mod if you want harder aliens.

Well that's good to hear then. Right?

shieet nigga I only own a pirated version of this game.

I have no idea what attracts retards to a game that hate the central mechanics of said game. Do they really think the dev is just going to delete all of the work put into military technologies, items, and weapons; pollution; and biter evolution and AI because some fags screeched about it? This isn't even unique to factorio. Every time a game is in early access the official forums are full of "delete this" and "nerf that." It's fucking ludicrous.

Don't think anyone is asking them to remove content, just saying that they don't like aliens and that any dev time spent adding to them is wasted when it could instead be spend on other things. Since the dev team is like a half dozen people they have to prioritize.

my problem with aliens at the moment is it's not just a slight performance impact, it's significant. i'm on a toaster and 3/4 into marathon mode i get ups drops, and it seems to be due to the pollution cloud hitting spawner bases and causing tiles to go active.

my toaster problems aren't really everyone elses though. i'm never going to turn off aliens because it is a huge part of the game, i just wish there wasn't such a massive performance hit. i think the doom train might be the answer to that. with the range of the doom train you can turret / wall creep 10x as fast. later in the game keeping the biters outside your pollution cloud becomes a full time job.

0.6 should also bring some major performance improvements. the mega base / ups complaining thing is never going to go away. it doesn't matter how well they optimize factorio or what kind of beast cpu someone has, they'll just build a bigger factory until the ups drops again.

it seems like the ups meta / endgame is a pretty shitty one. it's just how many blueprints can i spam all over the map until my cpu burns up and the game slows to an unplayable crawl. I don't see how this is fun. launching the rocket is supposed to be the endgame. your never going to kill all the biters. the map is in any practical terms infinite. launch the rocket, maybe try to get the rockets per minute down, but as soon as I see significant unplayable ups drops it's time to start a new game.

but more bitters means more bullets/turrets/walls witch means a bigger factory

once you hit laser turrets that doesn't hit nearly as hard, it's more like more solar panels. and once you hit drones and beacons, the power drain from the 5000 laser turrets you have setup is nothing compared to the power drain from beacons and the drone chargers, so scaling power for turrets isn't really an issue, you already have the spare power from scaling beacons/drones.

also once 0.16 drops next week someone should throw up a server, there will be renewed interest. and you can disable authentication server side so pirate clients can join.

UNDERAGE GET OUT!

You have to prioritize anyway because man hours cost money in wages and money isn't infinite for any project. In fact projects with huge budgets, even non-video games, tend to just be more inefficient in their spending rather than bigger and better. This goes double for projects that are creating something original like a game or when they're developing technology like flight for example.

Obviously, the problem is when they prioritize in favor of people who just want infinitely massive bases even if it ruins any biter challenge.

e.g., there was a thread recently where they talked about an optimization that would improve robots, but would render them unable to be targetted by biters. Concensus was a 50/50 split on whether to do it or not.

They eat up the giant power spikes caused by laser turrets. If you don't have them, a big attack WILL leave your entire base flashing brownouts.

Don't these fuckers know that "peaceful mode" is a thing? The devs even went out of their way to eliminate "alien science" so there was literally no reason to kill them anymore, if you didn't want to.

What's actually causing it is that biters who aggro on the player will chase them, but if the player then leaves those chunks and they unload, the biters will "freeze" in place. Trouble is, the data about where they are moving is somehow stored in memory (so they can resume their chase if the chunks are loaded again). So if you have a deathworld of biters who are just inside aggro range and then you leave it, you'll end up with an entire border of them around your factory just outside loaded chunks, sucking up calculations.

Anyway, I've never been a fan of the "space science" and infinite research thing. I liked the idea of the rocket defense being the thing you launch once to end the game because it's a goddamn orbital laser system that destroys ALL the biters on the planet. That was the goal of the game, and now there just isn't one anymore. There is no point inside the fourth wall to launching more than one rocket.

i read that in another thread and i've intentionally killed all biters when i clear them out, i never run away and leave biters to go back to their nests and then leave the chunk, i make sure they're all dead in that nest. it's hard to tell what really the problem its. i wish they would give a diagnostic for all biter calculations and pollution like they do with entities. the only way to really tell would be to kill all the biters and see what the ups is doing then, maybe it's pollution too, it's pretty big base now but it's nowhere near megabase level.

despite biter ups problems i don't see a point playing without them. it would be like removing any chance of being attacked from dwarf fotress or rimworld. with all the risk gone the game would get boring fast. at a certain point your base is going to process faster than you can drop miners, but the megabase people fix that by just tweaking the ore amounts way up.

I saw a video where a guy who had a retardedly huge megabase in a retardedly dense deathworld was getting UPS in the ones at one point and didn't know whether it was his giant factory or the biters, so he ran a command code to kill all biters, and instantly his UPS jumped back to normal, despite the factory. So it's clearly something to do with the biters, and not pollution calculations. But that could either be biter movement, or biters being actively affected by the pollution. Hard to say.

In any case, playing without them is pointless, because half your research is military technology, and half the challenge is keeping your base secure.

Got a guide for allowing pirate clients to play? I saw that playing multiplayer required a Factorio Account no matter what.

There should be a option for the Hoster to disallowed certified accounts only or whatever it was named again. Unless they removed it in their latest release then I don't know.

Try deleting system32.

Might have removed it, it didn't say anything about disabling verification when I looked at the settings for the servers.

Go ride a flagpole.

Found it, it should be called "Verify User Identify", it needs to be disabled so that Pirate clients can join.

But they still need to make a Factorio Account, yes? I was hoping for something without needing to register, but that works I suppose.

Nope, when this option is disabled you don't need any account at all. I tested it with a few other goys and it works fine. You only need the Factorio account if you want to download mods, there used to be 2 pirate sites for it. factorio-mods.tech/en/ This one has out dated list of mods because the russki got banned (too many downloads) he used some sort of a script to fetch it or so. And then there is factorio.xyz which used to host a bunch of 0.14.0 mods but no 0.15 version at all, site is dead.

In other words you can use Pirated client with no account at all to play on a MP serb as long the "Verify user identity" is disabled which the Hoster needs to do.

MUH DIK

any good mod suggestions? about to start digging

I want to build massive defenses, hoard a shitload of artillery pieces, hoard all the shells I can and then unleash hell on the Xenos. Why would I need artillery trains? Sure, they are cool and all, but I would much rather have them as AN option, not THE ONLY option.

That'll also be one of the first mods, I suppose.

I FUCKING HOPE.
Otherwise I will be a salty bitch.

I don't know what to tell you m8, I cannot download any mods from there at all even when I made account there.

It's not like that's a very difficult mod once the mechanics are in-game. Make a building that's a static artillery train, make appropriate graphics, adjust building cost accordingly, done. Optionally, add power requirements.

You don't even need appropriate graphics, just badly photoshop the artillery piece onto a 2x upscaled gun turret or something.

Do any of you guys play with the turbo autism mods? How do you deal with insane production chains? I tend to spaghetti no matter what I try, because trying to account for everything is fucking impossible.

I looked into bob's mods briefly but the graphics are all so hideous that I just instantly disregarded it. They also seem to be largely pointless extra shit that add extra busywork to make the game easier. I wanted to make my own mod with a focus on filling out the combat without adding extra complexity or intermediary stages to the production side of the game since it really feels like biter AI/variance and player military is the area of the game with a lot of untapped potential, but the more I look into the modding API the less inclined I am to do it.

I wouldn't say Bob's makes the game easier. Elemental biters, spitters, colossal variants etc do require significant military investment.

Where can i pirate mods, i know github has some, but some basic mods i couldn't get elsewhere.

Just buy the game for 15 dollars goy, what do you mean you cannot afford the 22 bucks? C'mon man you gotta support the developers for only 34 dollars. :^)

in their defense they've kept the price at $20 forever, there's no DRM except for the login wall for mods and multiplayer, which can be turned off on servers and you can direct connect. and their PR team tweeted a few months back about genociding all leftists being a great idea and leftists playing factorio collectively shit themselves all over reddit and twitter.

to my knowledge they never apologized. one of the devs just came out and said they have no control over their own twitter account. the slavs that make this game in slavland aren't fans of communism or leftists.

Being forced into communism makes you hate it even more, as the shittiness of the system becomes a personal problem. And that is why this game is the capitalist's dream - start with nothing, become the king of the planet, give hippie aliens a huge middle finger, launch rockets.

They literally fixed the price at 20 Shekels.
No DRM, no DLC, no sales, no bullshit. Honestly just pay them 20 dollarydoos and be done with it.

Seablock is pretty fun, if a bit slow at the start. Especially if you like cultivating spaghetti so that certain loops of pipes and belts go here and there in a constrictive space.

It's only producing 15 MW because everything you have only requires 15 MW.

Hell I wish there was more combat in Factorio

You know what the game is missing? Now that there will be cliffs there should be flying enemies and flying vehicles/jetpacks to quickly scale walls and cliffs.
Another thing that would make combat a little more difficult would be if xenos could scale walls by climbing over eachother. This could also add a purpose to flamethrower turrets, besides getting rid of superfluous heavy and light oi. Burning the bodies that pile up at your walls to ensure none of the xenos can use them as ramps to get inside.

The issue with this is it's taking focus away from what the game is actually about. The enemies are simple for a reason; they're a threat you need to keep in mind but not something that some basic defenses maintained over time can't handle. This is a game about building giant factories, not starcraft.

Well, to you it may be a game about building factories, but once you figure out the most effective way to build most stuff, all it boils down to is figuring out a way to connect your ores to your smelters to your bus, which is a simple task really.
You can completely change how you play the game by changing the settings to deathworld, or to trainworld.
I would really love to play a game where most of your resources have to be pumped into more and more complex defenses just to survive, and every time you research something you musts consider if you can actually afford diverting that many resources away from the front (basically WWI logistics, the game).

If the game was to implement more meaningful combat, the best way would probably be against other players. Players spawn in teams with spawn points a fair distance away and the game plays as normal except they need to find the other teams and destroy some special object they start with. But even then, it's kinda detracting from the main focus of the game a bit too much.

I'm doing a bobs/angels/seablock marathon game. It's been fairly slow, I mostly idle for some hours and come back to build stuff. It's nice to produce ore completely cleanly with no slag or byproducts though.

What production chains do you have trouble with?

Sniper turrets > literally everything in bobs mod.

the absolute fucking madman

Like pottery.

Just spam the fuck out of solar panels and accumulators and you have infinite power.

I went to their twitter to try and find that post, but instead I'm returning with this because it made me laugh.

So what the fuck do I do buy this like a good goy on (((steam))) or do I just pirate the new version?
I've pirated this and I'm enjoying it a lot, and it would be nice to play with other anons

As stated earlier in the thread you can host without an account by setting visibility to LAN and disabling Verify user identity . You can join any server using these options by direct connect, you just need to know the IP and port.

If you do feel like buying it though just get it directly factorio.com/buy

I forgot about their website. Just hope any hostfag sets it off then.

I'd like to see alien AI actually addressed in an update some day. At the moment, they just mob up into a big ball every minute and a half and then run a lowest-cost path around whatever defenses you have. If you have walls to the coast, then they almost always run to the point where your wall meets the coast for example.
That's lazy and boring as fuck.
I want alien AI that actively probes your defenses, looks for points with low ammo replenishment or tests your power grid to see how many turrets can fire at once and for how long before they max out, then balls up an enormous enough wave to overwhelm your grid and break through.
I want to see the need to not just build massive quantity of turrets and power generation, but to build everything meticulously so that everything is optimally fortified as well as optimally efficient.

Also burrowing aliens, flying aliens, swimming aliens, cloaking aliens and aliens that can latch onto things like turrets and instantly take control of them. Also constructing biological jammers that reverse the effect of all beacons as well as biological EMP aliens that instantly discharge all energy stored in accumulators.
Combine that with rimworld-style events like Solar Eclipse so you can't just rely on 1000 solar panels and accumulators, but require a massive and diverse power grid that has multiple fallbacks.
Update those Radar dishes so they can detect cloaked or flying or burrowing aliens as well. Up that tech, up that power drain to absurd levels. Make it actually DIFFICULT for god's sake.

muh UPS

seems like a mod could pull that off pretty easily it sounds like a good idea. but there will still be cries about muh UPS, because it would force people to use coal/nuclear and it kills UPS

I finally got around to playing the demo and really liked it. Is there a good magnet for the latest Linux version of the game? I found one but it seems to be dead.

If everything is a tick-box you can activate or deactivate on map generation, then who would cry?
I'd love the need to set up discrete non-overlapping power grids to protect from alien EMP, power-damp, network hijack and other crazy xeno shit that would get cooked up by aliens who biologically evolve to adapt to any threat in real time.

This "biter" species is fucking INSANE, and I'd like to see them become the sinister danger they absolute should be. There should be a tipping point where there is no mortal technology that can hold them back any more - you escape or you succumb.

Rampant mod makes the Aliens a lot smarter.

Someone calculated the real world math for solar panels and found that they would be something like 100x weaker for an earth-like world. Do that and it would be nerfed just fine.

There's also an axial tilt mod that modifies the length of day over time, giving you long dark seasons.

That's a big exaggeration, nuclear is quite efficient at UPS.

sweet i love shooty trains

Neat. They'd have to add in barbed wire or electrified wire across the walls too.

Something simple like "ever wave of ayys is bigger than the last if nothing is damaged in the assault".
As long as they still set of mines so they don't just completely ignore you defenses.
The lack of sea anything really sucks. The natural walls are nice but if we're getting cliffs then they'd do the job just as well.
And gates to open them. Would be doubly deadly if there was another type of ayy that ignored military buildings and just went for the critical stuff.
So long as it started a big ass fire as well. Also I'm pretty sure basically nothing has laser resistance so they could really make the ayys a lot more diverse. Imagine electric ayys that send pulses that cut power to whatever is in range or fire spewing ones or suicidal ones that explode when they attack.

Oh yes.

the arguments on the forums against stronger xenos or more creative ones is that it's just going to result in a bigger wall with more defenses and no additional skill or gameplay, just pumping more resources into your wall. instead of 1 row of turrets your going to have 3.

Are there any warfare mods in the works? I'd love to make a warfare mod for Factorio but uni gets in the way.

Also did they allow access for modders to their program which takes 8 (?) renders in each direction to make the sprites?

You want the rampant mod. It overhauls the AI just like you describe

I made one for Factorio but I am too lazy working on it anymore, I don't play Factorio that much nowdays. You can use my mod as a base if you want I don't care.
8agdg.wikidot.com/wiki:arwm
>>>/vm/578

They used Blender for making their sprites, it is enough to parent the Camera to a empty which is placed at 0,0,0 position and then rotate the empty to make the directional sprites. And then you can use spritify wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/Spritify for making a atlas but this one is broken for me for some reason so I used texturepacker instead which does this job good enough. For animation another script is needed whose name I forget so that it renders all dat animation first before rendering the next direction. For pure Building and Vehicle sprites there is no need for a additional plugin since Blender itself will be enough for this task.

Thanks, though I don't see myself even starting on this before late January so I'll see.

Thought I had read something about them making the program for their sprites ages ago, but I guess I remember incorrectly or they probably talked about a script/plugin. Was only interested to keep it as close to vanilla as possible, but in that case I'll just do all my shit in Houdini as usual (I think 16.5 even has a imposter sprite sheet tool built in so it's even less work than it already was).

where's the longer version of this? there's supposed to be an additional scene at the end with the two betting on if the ayy can crawl to the gun or not.

Or at the very least a more diverse set of defenses.
It's a bit of a conundrum because the whole game is about automation. If you have to constantly maintain it with human input it breaks away from the core concept of the game.

I gotchu covered fellow colonist.

Since you have to constantly refine the automation of the assembly and resource lines, it makes sense you should have to refine the complexity of the defense line as well. Finding ways to better automate that, such as giving orders to a combat-logistics network, would be interesting. Maybe some very light programming in of "if/and/or" sequences like the FF12 Gambit system, telling things what to scan for, where to focus, what ammo to load, where to route extra power, and so on.

It could be much more robust without just being a matter of spamming more turrets.

If they played with the resistances a bit more like making some have really high resistances to laser from the get go but fuck all against physical and another type vice versa you'd have to have both types of turrets lining your walls and manage a supply of ammo and electricity along the place. Then throw in another with resistance to both but barely anything to explosive so you need a mine field too and a set of construction bots to keep everything repaired and place the mines again when they've been destroyed.
At the moment you can pick any kind of gun turret and keep it stocked and you're good for both spitters and biters. Taking a nest would be a lot more interesting with harsher but more specific resistances too.

have the rest too. Sage for off-topic.

thanks, this quenches the thirst

IT'S OUT my dick, that is

0.16 IS OUT
forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54538
too long to copypaste here.

no torrent yet. can any user post?
pls

FUCK, I was hoping it would take another few days. I've just gotten up to a nice purple output and have been diligently putting together babby's first train supply network.

The recipe has changed. Nah it's ok, they just removed the assembler from the ingredients.

Sounds interesting, hopefully it makes the maps less flat.
hmmm, I hope I can re-enable my SRBM Bavley vehicle then which I disabled in my mod because it was quite useless as Factorio provided previously no means for long range target engagement. Now I kinda got the urge to make some sort of a tactical/strategic missile launcher base. That is if this whole new artillery stuff is not hard coded.

they added a bunch of shit to the scripting api maybe some useful shit is in there.

I can not write Lua scripts for shit man, so I am limited with my modding capabilities. And I don't really feel motivated enough to learn Lua just in order to make scripts for this game. Oh well I need to take a look at it later.

I forget to mention that factorio.su/en/ still exist, 0.16 release is fresh so it takes a while for this ruski to wake up and upload a new version.

this guy's only posting demos.
there's a couple of dedicated people who post this on piratebay for every update, but obviously it isn't up yet it's only been released for a few hours. i assume an update this big should be posted any hour now.

They should just release this shit already so I can tell people to stop pirating it.

I was already wondering what you meant by this, but I see it now. Welp, previously he released full versions of it what a nig.

My autism is severely intensifying right now.

they did a bunch of tweaking with the resource gen so RSO might not even be necessary.

I'm doing it senpais

It's cool that they added being able to preview the map before spawning. Haven't seen any mixed ore patches so far after generating a bunch of maps.

Scratch that. Still mixed ore patches. God dammit.

Thanks, my autism really needed this.

Also, apparently there's nuclear fuel now.

I'm excited for the optimization improvements.

Nothing huge I guess. None of the intermediates were touched.

Oh, by the way, stationary turret versions of the artillery train are in the base game. The tech is one of the most expensive in the game at 2000x red/green/blue/yellow/military, turrets/trains are around the price level of a roboport, ammo is however 4x explosive tank ammo + 1x radar + 8x explosives a shot and the manual targeting beacons take a processing unit and a radar per pop. There is also infinite research that increases artillery shell range (+30%) and shooting speed (+100%), so I'd wager you can eventually keep a massive area biter-free with a single rail-supplied artillery fort.

How does this one work, you need to put it into some sort of a slot?

Does the range bonus also increase auto-targeting range?

There's a remote, similar to discharge defense.

Just started a new game for the new patch so there's no way I'd be there yet. I'd assume that it works that way though.

Looks like it does.

ed327a1a45c7552338f61aa2752eb5e66492481d

Thats sounds like it was lifted from Platoon.

Results of turret autism:

the standard xeno genocide with tank and then wall creep is over now. just load up the pain train and drop track/turrets as you go forward.

Does auto-target range increase with the +range research too? If so, then they're absolutely amazing for endgame expansion.

fuck ya thanks user, confirmed legit

I think that question already got answered.

I can't speak for all anons but I'm really paranoid about my torrents.
Scan as it comes in, sandbox to install, scan after install, trial run in sandbox, scan after run, check for extra running processes.
Wouldn't have bothered posting it if it didn't hold up to my standards.

almost didn't download it without the safetynet of piratebay reviews. then i thought "surely this user wouldn't fuck me over right?". i'm still scanning my whole hd right now, as i'm playing factorio though. piratebay slow on the upload on this.

also i need to just buy the fucking game i think i'm going to do it over christmas

Factorio newfag here, can you update and still use the same savegame or do you need to make a new world to avoid strange terrain/glitches?

I loaded my 0.15.x factorio into 0.16.x and it worked fine. The only change I've seen is cluster grenades being moved somewhere else in the research tree. Aside from that it's additions being added to the tech tree (artillery, cliff removal) and mapgen (cliffs), where the latter of course wont function on maps that are already generated. But cliffs are just an unwalkable nuisance anyway.

the performance seems immediately improved on my toaster, and the preview the map before hand is awesome. i used to have problems before with masses of tree's fucking up fps, and i had to change it to opengl before, not anymore, seems to run fine with directx. have to see what happens when the base get's larger and what the biters do. hopefully the biter shoah the pain train will cause will deal with that problem.

Yeah. Each level gives 67,2 extra tiles auto-targeting range.

Map generation algorithm changed so the boundary between old and new chunks is going to look weird but that's about it.

Is map generation significantly worse now or am I just used to playing with RSO?

It's pretty rare for starts to have sufficient resources (e.g. you'll have 20k copper) and you'll randomly run into 1.5M Uranium just outside the base while not finding a real ore deposit for miles.

I'm using railworld settings with lots of water, think the game has a bad habit of covering resources with water.

the download is at cs rin ru if u haven't got it yet

There's artillery in the game? Or is it a mod? Regardless, I just got an erection

It's not been released yet, it's still in Jewrly Access. I wish they'd finish and release it already so I could be a good goy.

i think they tweaked the map generation significantly, it's not just resources, the first couple of maps i tried to generate didn't have any significant water.

there's stationary artillary and an arty wagon now.

factorio is like KSP, by the time it's actually at a "release" state, it's going to be years after everyone has already played it and moved on. the game is complete now.

Probably. Both are just perlin noise.

Holy fuck yes. They have stationary artillery too!
MUH DICK!
And something called "nuclear fuel" which makes your trains run at 250% speed.
Are you ready to go FAST?!
All I want now would be Turret trains and flamethrower turret trains.

You got my full attention.

Just acceleration, top speed is still same as rocket fuel.

I know it would be well worth my 20€ (or what the final price will be), but they're not getting my shekels until they come out of early access.

I typically make custom maps for this reason. Some kind of "prefab drop" with a single screen of placed concrete, a thin wall, a laser turret on each corner, a couple of solar panels but nothing that could remotely power said turrets, and a few extra burner drills to get going.
I also place a medium patch of each resource around it.

I like it because it's a nice little bootstrap without being huge, it gives a clear starter goal (power those turrets asap), makes a nice comfy feel of a home base while still retaining the hostile alien world feel, and I don't have to stand there with circled burners pulling my pud for as long in the beginning.

Nah, that's specifically what I avoid doing.
I give myself some limited tech, but it's not very useful until I can power it, and even when I can, it's four turrets spread over a very wide area that won't protect anything vital.
I have more of an incentive to prevent them from firing than using them to protect anything, since a single shot would drain more power than my grid can handle until I tech up to accumulators and build a few hundred of them.
It's purely for the sake of fun. I understand that you enjoy hand-mining, but honestly that's pretty disgusting.

it is an annoying part of the game but considering a map might take 200 hours before i'm done with it, and it's only the first hour or so i deal with it. trying to figure out ways to deal with that for the absolute least amount of time is a part of the game though.

I've done it dozens of times, and I'm tired of it. You have more patience than I do, brother.

I can relate to this, I really enjoy rebuilding incomplete or wrecked infrastructure in games.

I wish more games had randomly generated wrecks of structures and dilapidated networks of infrastructure you can salvage, re-purpose or restore.

Say imagine a more realistic version of factorio where you cannot build pretty much everything yourself and need some sophisticated cnc machines to manufacture anything beyond cruddy basic tools, and you're forced to scavenge environments around you, hunting for old pipelines or leftovers of outposts so you could squeeze out enough energy to start things of instead of digging dirt on the spot for an hour. As you branch out, you can integrate old railroad wrecks and powerlines into your system.

Some campaign missions did it. Wish that was present in free play somehow.

There's a ruins mod that adds broken down and abandoned "bases" to map generation.

As fun as railworld is, I believe it needs even longer distances. Having to travel for something like 10 minutes by train before you get to a new ore deposit wouldn't be something I would oppose.

Also: SNOW biomes to get your supply lines lost in. Full blown WWII Russian winter style, and jungle biomes that are essentially the amazons.
Polite sage for double posting

ooooh. Found it. Sad those wrecked structure leftovers don't last long ingame, would have looked better than just busted up walls. Also whole premise of those insects hijacking defenses is dumb, would be best if those were hostile to all and only enabled when you approach, after which you gotta find a specific structure or switch to turn them to your side - with more careful approaches leaving less damage.

All it would take would be a reskin of the player, guns, tanks and flamethrowers to be space marines, bolters, Leeman Russ tanks and flamers.
Or, you know, a tech priest could also work. Would explain why most of the machines look the same. STCs are not to be modified at all.

there should be a reskin that sticks anita's face on all the biters

Nice falseflag, Anita.
Didn't know you play Factorio.

I'm literally still playing KSP, but okay.

The opening part of the game bores me to death, too. It's always pretty much the same. I should make some kind of custom thing where I start out with all red and most of green science researched and with a few chests overflowing with belts, inserters, and assemblers so I can actually get a decent factory going beyond the "starter" spaghetti crap that always needs to be removed before doing anything else.

Xander Mod makes the game a lot more realistic, adding a tier zero tech level. Takes hours to be able to just build normal belts and non-burner equipment. No scavenging but you definitely feel like you're barely getting along.

Those massive optimisations are the real bonus of 0.16 Pic related.

What mods for KSP? I find that using RSS and full realism autism is making the game far too slow/unstable.

Can you link to it? I don't speak slavic hacker.

use the magnet

thanks, user
rate my shitty newfag factory

You tried/10.

For a low output starter factory like that, wouldn't it make more sense to have your inserters put things directly into their input assemblers from their output assemblers, rather than using tiny little conveyor belts in the middle? You're slowing things down by more than double.

Nice, tidy, minimalist and impossible to scale up without rebuilding it from scratch.

fug, will have to wait for the loonix version

The iron plates one at the bottom is for assembly machines that need the same ingredients. As far as I can tell inserters won't steal extra iron plates from an assembly machine that has extra inside, only the products.
I'm working on replacing some of them with long handed inserters.
I'll probably tear it down and rebuild it, like says. It evolved naturally without plans, so it's not efficient.

I barely ever mod my games but I just downloaded some graphical mods for KSP.

Press alt to show the contents of everything and the direction of inserters. Makes it look messy at first but it's a godsend when you realise what everything means.
Looks really good for a start. Not really possible to expand it but you've got the basic concepts down with buffer chests and using both sides of the belts. Looks like you need to expand your input of raw materials next to get those assemblers working at full speed. Once you've got your input sorted, look at the time it takes to produce each component and work out how many of each assembler you need to get x per second science packs and keep expanding. I'm not going to mention anything about how to organise it because you should be figuring that out yourself.
Also there's a copper plate out of place that's triggering me.

Organizing it is a pain. I tore everything down and have spent 30 minutes thinking of how to make it organized and expandable, and I can't even get past the organization part.
Maybe rows of each assembler? I'll have to shoah every tree within sight.

Rows of assemblers up to the maximum that can be belt-fed. After a point, even a totally full belt will be picked clean by assemblers, so you find that number and only make that many. If you have more input, you split the belt and make another line of that many assemblers and so on.

Grenades are probably the best tree removal tool. Fire doesn't work as well as it should from the last time I tried it, but grenades, in sufficient (mass-produced) quantities are extremely efficient at killing forests. They also come earlier in the tech tree.

I have this mod solely for dealing with trees, I can't play without it anymore.
mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel/aai-vehicles-miner

Poison capsules are really good for that. Radius is massive and, although it takes a couple of seconds for the tries to die, a single capsule does it for the entire radius.
Tap into that superior german engineering and gas the forest.

Normally I'd agree, but this is one of those rare autism scratches that delivers hours on end of joy.

It's well worth the $25.

So electric trains and turret wagons when?

DELET THIS

Modding is the only thing that's a real pain because each update forces the modders to update their shit, and some of them don't. I wouldn't even have bothered recently if they hadn't finally gotten a 64-bit version up.

But the funny thing about having been with KSP since the beginning (back when there were like ten available parts, all you could do was reach orbit, there was no map, no Mun, and no doors on the capsules, and Kerbin didn't even rotate) is that I've seen most of the good mods either get implemented directly, or something reasonably close and "inspired by" put into the game.

In any case, most of what's left for mods are all cosmetic. I've also got Chatterer because it's a godsend for ambiance. And Kerbal Engineer for crunching numbers on deltaV for when I decide it's time to be serious.

RSS is just… painful. If I wanted to play a realistic space simulator, I'd get one without little green men and toy rocket parts. It doesn't add anything to the game but tedium to make the distances between everything larger, in my opinion.

fire from the tank doesn't catch the forest on fire (atleast in 0.15 i haven't gotten that far in 0.16), but fire from the personal flamethrower does. I still find it easier to clear with the tank's flamethrower but you could start a forest on fire and just walk away, come back when it's done.

I don't know if flamethrower turrets do the same thing, i never use them because I'm not wrapping my base with an ups killing pipe. maybe with 0.16 and cliffs the usefullness of the flamethrowers will be increased with natural chokepoints.

Don't they just leave burned husks of trees instead of completely removing them?

it leaves some, it looks like 25% turn into dead trees the rest are totally removed the last time I did it. you would still have to go in and clear out the remaining dead trees.

it also looks cool, especially when i'm burning down an entire forest to make room for green energy solar panels.

Haven't they made it so you can barrel up any liquid yet? I know it's in mods, but I can't remember if it's in vanilla. In which case, you can just fill chests with barrels of light oil and connect them to a de-barreling assembler feeding the nearest cluster of turrets. Deliver the barrels any way you see fit.

Yes. The new default behavior for this is that any liquid will have automatically a barrel recipe for it, including different color. So if a mod added a new liquid but no barrels recipe for it, Factorio will auto add one. However if the player already researched the barreling tech and added a new mod with liquid recipe, the player cannot use these new barrel recipe because he got the tech for it already, unless the modder added a migration script to handle this. There is also a new variable to disable this auto barrel recipe.

Short: Yes it does.

You know construction bots can deconstruct trees right?

Both of these are better than grenades later on, I know. But you need to be somewhat deeper in the tech tree than with grenades, which come on one of the cheapest green science techs and which you should be mass producing anyway, so they are the best tree murder weapon for a good part of the game.

but then your left with a shitton of useless wood in your inventory that you have to take additional steps to get rid of.

especially if you research grenades enough that the damage one shots the trees

Press left Allt to display what each building is producing.

Holy fuck, spoiler the gore!

All I want for christmas would be flame turret waggons, or just the ability to mount turrets on wagons in general.

With the "frequency" we get KSP updates nowadays you would think that the modders have more time to adjust, but no. They all left the game.
A true must have. Makes the game comfy as fuck.
Literally impossible to play the game without this, unnless you want to have a spreadsheet open all the time and calculate the dV of your rocket every time you add a new part yourself.
I would also suggest getting procedural fuel tanks and procedural wings, and then deleting the stock tanks and wings from the game files. It's retarded that you can't get exactly as much fuel as you want to/need in your rocket.
Same goes for wings.
If you want true autistic space simulation I suggest orbiter. Try getting the shuttle into orbit and then dock with the ISS. I dare you. You will fail miserably.
I wish KSP had the good old docking camera mod from back in 0.12.

I always hated how the tank's flamethrower still behaves like 0.14(?) personal flamer does. It's just a cone of fire that does more damage the closer you get to the center.

Just dump the wood in a waggon/bunch of crates which feeds into your steam generators. It will get turned into steam and you are done with that.

Nigga, it's wood. Fuel. Just burn it.

What the fuck are you talking about, user? This is Kerbal Space Program, not orbiter. You can eyeball all of that stuff and make things that land on Duna and then come back just fine. Orbital mechanics are intuitive once you've played with them for a little while.

I don't want to start over but it's getting tempting

are you on deathworld? they reduced the number of biters and biter spawners, there should be less of them now not more. so far in my marathon run, it's pretty early but I can tell I'm going to have zero problems with the typical massive surrounding wall.

also the resources are definitely more spread out.

It's a custom world with almost max biter settings I think, don't remember exact numbers though

Plebeian.
We need a new KSP thread.

I'd do that if the game properly modeled economy and you had to pay for every drop of fuel. As it is, that shit's free. I just launch huge amounts of fuel into space and park refueling platforms in orbit around every major body as I expand my empire exploration.
The only place that gives me trouble is Eve. I managed to break atmosphere from Eve a few times, but I could never circularize the orbit. My best attempt was when I launched at my Eve fuel platform on a ballistic trajectory and then switched vessels and tried to catch the escape craft with the platform, but I took too long and they both get swallowed by that big purple bitch.

Anyway, KSP needs a lot of work before it's a proper full game. Right now, I'd classify it as a fun toy, but not much more. It absolutely needs resource scanning, mining, refining and offworld craft construction for starters. Fueling ships should be a reward for diligent work, not a button you click. Life support should be the same.
I'm aware there are mods for some of this, though many have been abandoned. Mods don't count and never will. The base game must do this for it to be worthy.

worthy of what

Worthy of being called a full-featured game.

am I correct in assuming that you consider your time valuable enough to only be worth spending on "full featured games"?

No, I play the shit out of games if they're fun whether they're full featured or not. What are you getting at here, user?

He's trying to make you out as a stereotypical, incorrigible autist so he can toss your opinion aside and make fun of you without having to make counter-arguments.

Looks like the new terrain makes it possible to walk across small gaps. Presumably biters can too. Also walls appear to recognize when they're next to water and adapt their graphics.

Have you played around with cliffs yet? I haven't wandered from my location to go mess with any of them yet, so I'm curious what they're all about.
Are they just there to break up the terrain so you have to build around obstacles? Do they function as natural walls as far as blocking biters is concerned?

They act as walls, you can craft specific explosives to get rid of them.

Are there tools to create them as well? Having a fortress ringed by natural defenses would be pretty rad.

Pretty much. You can blow them up with special explosives. Don't think you can build them with using the editor/mods.
They don't take damage from normal explosions etc. so they're a letter better than normal walls. Though there's apparently a few people that managed to glitch through them so they might not be 100% reliable.

I wanna tangle some spaghetti in your waifu's factory, if you know what I mean

I want to insert my stack in your waifus assembler, if you know what I mean.

Those are already in the game, user.

Spot the contradiction. As soon as you prepare the fortifications they are no longer natural. Built cliffs aren't natural fortifications.

I want lay a build a train line connecting your waifu's smelting area to my large scale iron mining facility, if you know what I mean.

You can mine ore and refine it into steel and then spend that steel to create rocket parts to craft your ships?
I know of some mods that do that, but as far as I remember they only put in a very dumbed down and lame ripoff of the Kethane mod into the actual base game. You don't have to hunt multiple resources and mix them together to create useful compounds, and you don't even really need to search for pinpoint locations on planets to maximize yield - it's just very low resolution blobs of "these ten thousand square miles are high yield". It's like five points for trying, but minus ten for actual execution, if you know what I mean.
Fair enough, but they'd still look natural, and appearance is everything. The aesthetic of a fortress atop a cliff is pretty sweet. I don't care if they were made with a shovel or not, as long as they look natural enough.
Besides, God created everything, so everything in the universe is artificial :^)

Is god artificial?
If so, he was created by someone or something, and thus isn't truly omnipotent.
If not, then not everything in the universe is artificial.
deepest lore

O shit new version

An artificial god could be omnipotent within the scope he was created to preside over. If an artificial universe is constructed, and an artificial god constructed which is all knowing and all powerful within that universe, but ignorant of everything outside of it, it'd still be effectively omnipotent from the perspective of all inhabitants of that universe.
Since universes are zero-sum-energy systems, creating them would be trivial for any beings that have developed their technology to the appropriate level. Creating a single artificial god would likely be more difficult than creating ten billion universes.
lore deeper than your mother

this superimposes determinism and you're all faggots. Just reach the logical conclusion of your argument and speak on behalf of hard-incompatible philosophy so the thread stays on topic.

this game would be really cool if the aliens used their own alien tech to automate their own bases a make all conveyers and turrets and then by destroying the bases you can gain their tech and combine it with your so that when you launch the rocket it actually sends you to the moon with a new alien race and new tech and it continues through the solar system or possibly even the galaxy!

Now we're talking. It's a shame the developers got rid of the missile defense on very old versions of their game.

It's just for fun, user. Concepts on such huge scales are pointless to seriously debate or speculate on, because they're so much bigger than we are and filled with so many unknowables that even trying to figure them out is the highest form of futility.
But it's fun to bullshit about them for a few hours every now and then.
Any mods that make robots non-shitty? Those zippy little flying bots are a real let-down. I was hoping for large slow four- or six-legged loader bots that carried around huge cargo containers. Maybe treaded loader bots with forklift arms. That kind of thing. You could make bigger and bigger ones that need wide areas to move around, but could carry enormous amounts of containers at once and place them where they're needed.
They would be a good match with trains, as they could pick up the entire cargo wagon and replace it with an empty and the train would then be able to immediately move on to its next stop while the big loader plods over to slam that wagon down right where its contents most need to be.
Just having a bunch of gnat-bots zipping around with individual chunks of metal is kind of silly, and feels extremely sloppy for a game that appears to be built around the concept of order and efficiency.

I would be intensely okay with all of this.

You can adjust fuel down in each tank from its maximum. It feels less cheaty than procedural tanks and things like that. I commonly use completely empty tanks for lightweight structural fuselages on planes.

Technically fuel isn't free. If you don't use it, you get money back when you recover the vessel.

Dude. It's a game about launching rockets, not… Minecraft.

Newfag from earlier here, I feel like I'm in over my head.
How do I git gud? Just keep designing shit and hope I get better?

you figure out what works best while playing the game
keep in mind that compartmentalization is usually better than centralization in vanilla

break the problem down into smaller problems.

When you played Super Mario Brothers did you git gud by reading articles and writing on the chans or fucking playing the shit yourself, faggot?

Always plan for expansion and always produce more then you need.

Don't use blueprints, they hold you back from learning how to manage shit yourself. Just make whatever spaghetti you need to in order to get everything everywhere, eventually you'll get better and be able to make things without a massive wad of spaghetti.

Anyone want to play MP?

Organize your factory like it's a tree soaking up resources and expending them at it's end branches to ALWAYS grow them (don't choke yourself by crossing branches!), give yourself room to add up to 3-5 seperate material lines each with 3-4 belts as a trunk, get a green circuit line using the picture, and look up 'factorio main bus'.

wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial
wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Main_bus

I got the turret to brrt by fucking with its entity definition. Turns out there's a 60 frame cooldown after firing before the turret can turn, which gets applied even if you're just targeting the same spot manually. Without changing it, you wont see any benefit from researching shooting speed above level 3, making the infinite research pointless.

Just dive in and start building shit. Once you've built a crappy setup for something you'll have a better idea of how to build a decent one. Also try to leave a bunch of space in between things so there's room to route stuff later when you realize you need it.

how the fuck does that work

Splitters remember which side they last output on separately for each type of item, and try to output next on the opposite one. After the second splitter from the left, each belt has all its crap in one lane, so the next splitter ensures that each item type alternates between being on the right and left lanes. This causes the fourth and final one to send e.g. all the iron on the right lane out on the left belt.

To actually make this thing work you need to carefully seed the splitters with items while setting up to control which lane they'll initially output what onto.

Doesn't that setup fuck up when the belt is full though?

I think it does.

This one uses the exact delay of a blue belt splitter to work. And I'm looking through the factorio wiki, so many tricks I didn't know about.

Yup, you can use signalers to stop input.

It does, which makes it pretty much useless you set up some kind of general storage area to never back up.

Literally anyone has their spaghetti moments, and anyone has started off with terrible factories. I've managed to launch a rocket on 0.15, but look at the mess that is oil processing in my current factory. I'm not even really ashamed of it, it works for the foreseeable future. Just make a really shitty factory that somehow outputs blue science at the end. The only advice you need for it up front is to always plan for ~4-5x the space for any given factory part and generally space things out a little, so you have some extra fudge room for the inevitable spaghetti belts. Then, after you're done, ask yourself how you could have done it better. You're always going to notice a few things that could have been better, mistakes to avoid next time you build a factory. Also always remember to pump far more raw materials into the system than you'll ever need, that smoothes out issues arising from less than optimal design real nice.
Aside from that, nlue science isn't even hard now, aside from the whole needing to break into steel & especially oil production thing. Properly mass producing it is another thing, since you have time-choked and resource-choked products in the same pack. Or maybe try making military science first, that only needs you to break into steel and maintain a good supply of iron.

Fug :DDDD

that has to be a bug. that should be a filed as a bug report. why add infinite research if it's pointless after level 3.

Jesus, user why? If you really wanted to box it you could just extend your ore to furnace belt by one and drop 1-3 chests/inserters to box the overflow. Would allow you to fix your mine spaghetti too.

It's functionally the same.
The worst part of all this is the blue science fuckery, when red and green science are being made, there's nowhere near enough materials to make blue.

have you tried making walls out of bricks?

Pic related. The moment I walked by some around a forest I immediately got flashbacks to old RTS like command and conquer.

I'm surprisingly okay with this.

Making the switch from spaghetti to straight lines was the biggest turning point for me.

Move to new area and leave the old one to run out of resources while it researches and actually fucking plan this time.

How much autism do i need to play this game?

very little to start but you can supply as much as you like

Not a whole lot unless you install angels petrochem.

I'm too much of a brainlet to plan, plus I haven't gone past making blue science packs so I've got no idea what to plan for beyond it. Should I just abandon my autism about learning for myself and start reading guides to get an idea about it?

Everything about it is just fucked up though. I realize now that I was only building for expansion up to what I knew I had to accommodate so I dug my own grave with it. I'm trying to learn from it while I wait for nuclear power to finish researching, then I'm going to try and move to a new location instead of just start again and try to make it more expansion friendly.

research drones, rebuild everything

What am I doing wrong? Is the inserter trying to read the contents of the assembler it's inserting into? I'm having similar problems with turning my miners off if my chests are full.

Post screenshot

Well it wont insert if the assembler isn't accepting input, but the led should still be green.

Also, make sure you didn't also connect it to the logistic network, otherwise it's going to depend on both conditions.

I think I figured it out, I didn't connect the electric poles inbetween the two items. Once I did that it seems to work.

Can someone show me how to maximize beacon on green and red circuit chip assembler.

That game actually looks like a bucket of fun.

Here's my old setup for red ones. I was a bit paranoid about inserting to/from underground belts back then so it sideloads onto them instead.

I don't think it's worth it trying to get more than 4 beacons on green chip assemblers though. If you got 8 on them they'd clear out a belt after 2 or 3 assemblers and you'd need to transfer the copper cables with belts, which means each assembler would need several stack inserters to keep up.

It's not a bucket of fun.

It's a precision-engineered endless stream of fun, channeling happiness trough it's spaghetti conveyor veins.

all max beacon setups are the same.
put your assemblers in the middle in a line and put beacons on both sides in a line (+1 or 2 beacons on the ends to get the max on the outside assemblers).

ideally you make use of those lines so each beacon has assembler lines to it's right and left except for the ends. beacons are expensive power wise.
pretty much exactly like

Them cliffs, too.

Jesus is there a mod that makes the patches of ore sit above the grassy shit so I can actually see the borders?
Also since when did they have a game mode that encouraged spaghetti belts?

I think you had it reading the contents of the chest for electric miners inside it instead of reading the network for number of electric miners functioning?
Less than 50 includes 0 and there was no electric miners signal coming from the chest.

I don't know how to make oil processing that isn't a fucking mess. The buildings are so big and have three required outputs. I've only ever been able to make it passable by using void pipes to make each refinery only output a single thing - basically a shameful fucking cheat.

Can somebody please show an example of beautiful high-output efficient oil extraction-refinement-product chains that take up as little land as possible?
How in the absolute fuck?

this converts everything into petroleum if that counts.

Is that high output?
You only need one red-to-yellow to keep four refineries working without getting jammed?
What kind of petroleum output do you have there? With my shitty setups, even with 20 refineries, I wind up running dry on petroleum at max demand.
I always aim to keep every belt of every intermediate product full to maximum capacity so I can run all assemblers with fast inserters without any waiting period. In my last factory, my petrolem consumed per minute was 19k, for a benchmark.

It looks damn good compared to the spaghetti nightmares I make, so I'd love to just scale what you have there up about 10x. I'll probably test it out myself and see if it rides that red line. Thanks, user.

You can just copy and paste it with your construction blueprints. The ratios are perfect for that older version, I have no idea if they changed it so there shouldn't be any overflow of any single component. The light oil cracking + advanced oil production of that grid should make about 5440 units of petroleum per minute and consume 4800 crude oil to do it.
The point of it is to produce only petroleum with no overflow. I don't know how much a single pipe can carry but it's either 100 per second or 10 per tick so keep an eye on your input/output number of pipes instead of cramming them all into one single pipe and expecting it to keep up with infinite demand.

True. The other consideration I have to tweak for is that pipes only get maximum throughput if you put a pump after every 4 tiles of pipe. Consumers like chemical plants also count as pumps for flow rate, but storage tanks do not.
It's not a big deal for really compact setups, but I honestly don't know that many compact fluid management setups. If only straight overground pipe didn't automatically connect with every adjacent pipe, it would make things so much easier. I know that's what underground pipe is for, but pipes going in and out of the ground just looks so ugly to me, I'd rather just have it all overground, or be given a toggled underground layer to actually lay spaghetti in.

Beacon that shit. Refineries are one of the best things to beacon, since flow rate drops off with distance so a setup with long pipes has lower limits to its output.

what are these lazer drones?

torrents
new torrents are out now including gnu/linux
thepiratebay.org/torrent/19358842/Factorio_0.16.2_(experimental)_-_Windows
thepiratebay.org/torrent/19358835/Factorio_0.16.2_(experimental)_-_Mac_OS_X
thepiratebay.org/torrent/19358785/Factorio_0.16.2_(experimental)_-_Linux

A lot of people have been bitching lately because in 0.16, inserting onto underground belts wont delay the belt to create a gap for the item being inserted anymore, but I realized you can just manually delay the belt based on a timer set to match the rate of production. You don't actually need to delay it when the specific inserter engages, just on average, so you don't need to jam complicated circuitry into your builds, just red/green wire leading back to a timer, and throughput is 97,915%, same as underground belts used to do.

Is there a console command that increases the length of day and night? The Day/Night extender mod isn't updated, and the vanilla nights only last about 90 seconds and feel 10x shorter than the days. Ideally I'd like to even them out and have 20 minute days and 20 minute nights.

Dunno about increasing it, but you can freeze the time of day (which is what day/night extender does, occasionally unfreezing it for one frame).

Not really what I'm looking for, but if that's how it does it I might look into how to whip up my own mod for it.
With the days so long and the nights so short, it really makes spamming solar panels and accumulators extremely overpowered. I'd ideally like my accumulators to all fully discharge before the night is half over, so my steam engines have a reason to pick up the slack.

Aren't they just the standard destroyer drones?

There is a mod that adds directional pipes. Can't remember what it's called and I have no idea if it's compatible with the latest version.

Destroyer capsules. I just dump a pile of them and then run straight into the base spamming cluster grenades at the worms and hives and let the bots take out the moving targets. I stack shields and exoskeletons so I never take damage except when stepping into range of the worms.

i thought those shot bullets, thought i've never built or used those because they read like consumables, they seem overly expensive

That's just for measuring it. The only thing it needs is the constant+decider near the top.

Lasers are little bolts but the beams these things shoot are different.
Also they are really expensive consumables but resources are infinite so why not.

There is a new change for the resources in 0.16 now?

the map is infinite and with it the resources, but no the patches are most definitely not infinite, you can tweak them way up though. i think they tweaked with the mining hardness stat on all the resources in 0.16, it seems like shit mines faster now.

Don't quote me on this because I'm both a brainlet and really drunk right now, but I thought I could remember them saying something about "correcting" the mining speed in that it had always mined this fast but just displayed the speed incorrectly, that could possibly be it.

It is not really that infinite since the map size is limited by the RAM amount, I recall one of those developers or so mentioned that with 8 GB of RAM the map size would be about the size of Luxembourg. Oh well it is not a biggie since it is relative easy to add methods were the resources is actually unlimited without the need of constantly expanding. I am more of a turtle player so I like it having a relative small-ish base and doing all the stuff from one place, maybe a outpost here or there if I am in the "mood" for it so to say.

You might also want to consider barrelling petroleum for high distance or high throughput situations.

by mining faster it seems like the ore patches are literally getting mined faster. i don't know, i haven't started a new game in a while maybe i'm just hammering the starting patches a lot faster now that i know what i'm doing.

Maybe the changes to belts means miners spend more time actually mining?

If you generated a new map in 0.16 it should mine faster, but that's because the ore patches are larger but shallower.

Using trains seriously for the first time since the update, and they're really a lot of fun. I'm not really using them to their full potential, though, with such short-range hauls.
I've also managed to cram red/green/gray/blue science production into one corner without making it impossible to maneuver. This is "clean" by my standards, but I'm sure this chaotic tangle will make someone here vomit.
I don't like to demolish and rebuild. I just kind of expand and flow around whatever's in the way.
Thanks to the anons from earlier, the liquid side of my base is manageable and even bordering on orderly. That's a first for me.

They lowered the density of resources, mines mine at the same speed but run out much quicker.

why wall it off that tight. i just run a massive wall around the perimeter, preferably outside of the massive pollution cloud. i can see an inner defense wall, when your expanding i've had problems where i clear a huge area out with a tank, and before i wall it off a biter has already snuck in and popped a spawner, and i can't see it due to the fog of war / no radar coverage. usually run through again with the tank just to double check, but if i didn't then there would be a spawner inside of the perimiter wall and it would be a huge problem.

this prob won't be an issue now with the arty, but there's no reason for the wall to limit the factory.

It's not that it's walled off tight, it's that I built right up snug with the wall because it was the most convenient near space. I'm kinda bad about that.
The area I've walled off is actually pretty big, roughly four screens wide by four tall, and my train line runs down another four screens (there's a cut in the image I posted because it was too damn long). Another train line seeking more oil is now running another 6 or so screens south. Screens measured by maximum zoom-out.
The inner defensive walls are from the early game - I just never really demolish anything so my factories always have uneven concentric rings of defensive walls like some ancient city.
My current factory, mining and shipping operation only takes up about 20% of my walled-off space, but I just like to snug things up next to each other for some reason.

I'm working on that tech race right now, in fact. Playing on railworld with biter expansion set to maximum and rampant mod installed. I turned off tree pollution absorption entirely, and turned off time-based evolution but tweaked up pollution evolution to compensate.
I'm going to need some of those cannons pretty soon for sure.

The way I've been clearing is basically:
It's tedious as hell, but I haven't been leaving any holes in my defense that I've noticed. I do regular sweeps around the perimeter to kill any spawners that pop up on the radar, but they seem to prefer sending extreme-range raiding swarms at me with my current mods, and they like to circle my base and feint a lot. I'm digging it.

I'm loving this. This is the first time I've had a factory of this scale. The problems are starting to crop up, though, that one of my friends is starting to desync and constantly catch up. Had to turn game speed down to 0.9 for it to work well. We don't know whether it's his PC or his internet connection.

Probably the internet. You'd have to be playing on a laptop with like 1GB of RAM for Factorio to slow you down that much. What you should try is having him host the server, and see if it runs at his speed.

Also, that Lake Doggo is the cutest thing in existence. It's unquestionably a dachshund.

What are those black dots?

Turns out I'm only scratching the surface with this game. Guess I have to pace myself.
Great game.

Markers. They clearly put eyes on the lake because it was funny.

I know of no black markers in this game.

not in vanilla anyway

post pics

I'm not sure which mod adds those, and it was one of the friends that put those up.

lord autismo save me

Hold on, I 'just' discovered the deconstruction planner.
I feel stupid.

Here's how i constructed my rudimentary factories.

One of us came up with a genius metro system. Basically, a series of small stations, capable of supporting 2x 2-long trains. Exactly one double-locomotive train per passenger station. Each locomotive is set to head in a loop between all stations as soon as it receives a red signal from the segment behind it.

The idea is you get into one of the trains, order the train to go to the station you want to go to, and then travel there. When it reaches the destination, it launches the train that is already on that station, which goes across all trains in a domino fashion. In the end, the trains all shift by 1 station, and you end up where you wanted to be. This might sound inefficient, but it's pretty fast and very convenient.

>berg

Kind of neat.

Feels fucking amazing. I knew pumps were important for various things, but I didn't know they were this amazing.

if you want max flow replace literally all pipes with pumps.

Gold science production is complete.
I don't know if the devs intended this or if I'm just really slow i'm just really slow, but so far it's worked out so that I finish the final available research around the same time I finish the production chain for the next color of thinky-juice. Pretty neat.
Except purple. Purple was just crap I that already had idle production chains lying around for.

This is handy for long-distance pumping where trains won't easily fit, I suppose. It's ugly as hell and blocks like mad, though. On the upside, you can run parallel pipelines side-by-side and they don't mix so I guess there's other uses for that as well.

of all the wrong in this image the use of two long arms instead of two underground belts hurts the most

I'm more triggered by the looping belt of science pack materials where everything goes on one side so it's destined to become clogged with miners if his research ever halts.

Loops with more than one thing on a side are always terrible but I keep seeing them.

If you think that's bad you should check this out.
I'm restructuring my entire factory although right now I'm trying to solve how can i auto load production facilities so I don't have to fill it up all the time. I guess conveyor belts are the way to go.

Can't you just use chests as the buffer?

have you tried using chests to store items

I use the chest + fast arm combo.
Also the chests fill up way too quickly, don't know how to deter that.

Stack inserters my dude

Seeing as you're missing the GUI I'm guessing you don't have bob's inserters, so all those inserters will be unloading on a single side of the belt, meaning your buffer belt will only be at half capacity. Why not unload from both sides of the train and merge the belts so the belt buffer is full?

more chests?
Alternatively actually use the resources you're bringing in.

There's literally nothing wrong with your buffer chests being full.

Actually there is. Full buffer chests can lead to complacency. Unless you are in the habit of checking on them regularly, it can lead to a sudden massive failure. Compare the following two scenarios where your factory is powered entirely by coal-fired steam engines; assume for sake of argument that it's a single coal patch serviced by a single train.

1) There are no buffer chests between the train offloading and the belts to the turbines. As the coal patch begins to produce less and less, you'll notice a gradual declining of power output because the engines are getting less coal than then need. The belts going to the engines aren't quite as full. You have plenty of time to lower consumption, and find a new coal patch, before things get really bad.

2) You have buffer chests between your train offloading and turbines. As the coal patch starts to produce less, and the trains deliver less, your previously-always-full buffers start to slowly get emptier. But the steam turbines keep producing at a maximum level, because the buffer chests empty to keep the belts past them maximally compressed. Suddenly, the buffers run out, and by now there's only a tiny trickle of coal coming in from the trains. Your factory suffers a complete blackout, and there is nothing you can do to prevent the biters from eating your shit in the next few minutes. Game over. Better hope your last save wasn't from several hours ago.

Now, obviously, not all scenarios are going to go like this. A sudden catastrophic lack of resources isn't always going to be a factory-killer, but it will be a lot less of a pain if you notice a slight lowering of output, rather than a "oh fuck, nothing is working; I have zero copper what the hell??"

The moral of the story: if you use buffer chests, have some kind of system in place that will alert you immediately if these critical chests become less than half full.

How about having buffer and checking the deposits regularly on the map?

lmao@ur lazors

Kind of a moot point, since the train itself acts as an (almost) steel buffer chest when it unloads. Unless you are running a bunch of small trains that all unload onto different belts, a reduction in coal production simply means that trains resupplying your power plant with coal are less frequent. At one point, the next train takes so long that your factory runs out of fuel before it comes.

Your example would only work if you fed the factory directly by a belt from the mine itself. Which is entirely unfeasible long-term. This is why buffer chests are important - they are there to serve as a way to provide continuous resource supply while waiting for the next train.

Without buffer chests, wouldn't your shit be getting wrecked every time the train has to leave and fill up?

New torrent up for 0.16.6 on all 3 OSs, set the one you want to high priority to download it first (or set the others to do not download).
Linux is .tar.xz, Windows is .zip, mac is .dmg.
366ca730850c4a39c2c32e5eb75aa58813550c3c
did I do it right?

My factories always end up looking like spaghetti. I'm convinced I might just be shit at factorio, the same kind of thing always happens to me with openTTD, too.

Use straight lines for everything. The moment you turn a corner or loop around to go around another line you get spaghetti.

Whoops.

>not using the infinite supply of solid fuel for your boilers from 1% oil wells

If I wanted to play on easy-mode, I'd also use solar panels and logistics robots, instead of bothering to plan anything.

What you got against clean solar panels and accumulators, you coal lover?

I wasn't prepared. I wasn't ready.