So yesterday, Gunpei Yokoi's name popped into my head randomly (king gook of Nintendo)...

So yesterday, Gunpei Yokoi's name popped into my head randomly (king gook of Nintendo), so I read his bio on wikipedia and saw pic related

So, what tech was abundant that led to the creation of the Wii U? The Switch? What's the next meme they'll roll out?

Manchildren

It's a touchpad with a few extra buttons that connects to your TV

Stockpiles of unsoled Nvidia Shields

Nothing. Yokoi was killed by a yakuza hitman for the failure of the virtual boy. This is just corporate buzzwording.

Yet they still need at least two or three hardware revisions just to fix hardware bugs and add features which the launch systems were crippled without.

The resistive touch screen for the gamepad. It was far more cheaper to produce at the time than the capacitive touch screens that now is the industry standard.

That, and the fact that the console itself was using processing already seen in consoles six years previous before it's debut. However, this did not make the Wii U significantly cheaper than its competitors. In 2012, more people felt that purchasing a PS3, 360, or even a Wii at no more than $250 was far more of an economical purchase than a Wii U.

This snubbing at the hands of your typical consumer precipitated many third party companies to halt any and all development for the console beyond the launch window, which lead to a noted shortage in mainstream titles that, when the PS4 and Xbox One released a year later in 2013, the console just couldn't recover from despite being cheaper and being a more consumer-friendly purchase (backwards compatability out of the box, pack-in game, free online, etc.).

This will ensure that, as the years go on, the Wii U will be looked at fondly as a console full of great titles that suffered at the hands of bad marketing and timing on Nintendo's part.

Whatever great titles the WiiU had, the Switch will have as well.

No it won't. It'll be in the same category as the N64, with few good titles with otherwise fuckall awful library.

the wiiu won't even be looked back upon, people just just literally forget it existed as we see nearly every wiiu title being brought to the Switch

In a few years people will be asking why Splatoon started with a sequel first and why they released Bayonette 2 and 3 at the same time

Funny thing, urban legends said that Yokoi's death was no accident since he also helped with the creation of the Wonder Swan which was basically a GB competitor, then a lot of time passes and you find out lots of game companies including Nintendo have deep connections with the Yakuza, now it doesn't sound so farfetched.

With Bayonetta getting a Switch port and sequel, I think it's fair to say a lot of games will make that jump too

Japanese business culture is weird. If you ever exit a company, especially at a high rank, you're basically blackballed from ever working in that particular industry again. If you have connections to still survive, you get into "unfortunate accidents" like that.

I can't blame the guy

He was Japanese

You mean a fondly remembered console with at least several game changing titles?

When did this happen with any of their non-handhelds?

The Switch is pretty much an Nvidia Shield with more RAM and a slightly newer mobile GPU.

The Wii U was entirely a vanity project, which is why they never were able to do a major price drop over time.

Shiggy was Mexican

Fixed. Once Yokoi took his tech to Bandai and convinced a lot of third parties (like Square) to make games for it, Nintendo was fucking pissedm

Oh i am laffin

5 years seems like an appropriate jump from N64 to GC, in terms of graphics. Wow, what a difference.

Seriously, you went from clunky 320x240 renders that needed extreme optimization for games like DK64 or anything by Rare to even function, up to disc-based storage that could probably hold the entire library without a sweat

Both N64 and the Gamecube were completely opposite to that.
Same for the Wii U with its shitty gimmicky controller.
The Switch at least uses easily available smartphone hardware and is essentially Nvidia Shield 2.0.

And keeping with Nintendo nigger-tarded approach to storage, they used minidiscs when DVD would've been dirt cheap to pay the license for.

why did this just get bumped

Underrated post

Frankly the Wii U deserved to fail. At Thanksgiving this year one of my relatives told me they never even thought about buying a Wii U because they already had a Wii and didn't think the Gamepad was a must-have peripheral. Frankly, if Nintendo were able to do with the Gamepad what they did for the Wiimote, then the Wii U wouldn't have been the absolute N64-tier failure that it was. But they never would be able to do that, because 90% of the interesting game mechanics that you could do with two screens and a touchpad were already done by the DS family.

Because I fucked up my post and deleted it pls no bulli

A bunch of unused Tegra-X1 chips salvaged from unsold Nvidia Shields.

720p tablet screens obviously

The automobile. When they had Gunpei murdered.

the n64 was economized sgi hardware that was ridiculously cut down to fit the price tag requirement. The hardware really suffered for this reason and most of the games look worse than a saturn launch title. the gamecube had really simple graphics hardware in it that could do simple 3D very quickly but not much else.

Both N64 and Gamecube were more expensive to publish games for. N64's cartridges made responding to consumer demands immediately worse than the PS1 and the compression technology required to fit the games on them pretty much meant you would be paying additional fees to third party to port your games.
Gamecube had the same problem on a different scale. When every manufacturing plant was printing standardized DVDs for Xbox and PS2, along came the Gamecube with its own specifications of mini discs.

Switch on the other hand is planned almost to perfection with it piggy backing on the booming smartphone manufacturing market. Unlike the Vita it uses standard microSD cards and the hardware is just Nvidia Shield shit.

To top it off, the Wii U's two screen design is kinda at odds with one another.
Make a game that uses two screen simultaneously (Zombie U, Splatoon) and then you can't do off-TV play.
Make something with asymmetrical multiplayer, well you need people to play with locally and you can't experience it by yourself.
Make a single screen game so you can have off-TV play and your get criticized for not trying hard enough with the Wii U's features unless you put an optional map on the Gamepad.

Who the fuck cares if or when it happened with their home consoles. Nintendo is done with home consoles. So it's handheld rules from here on out.

Wow, you're totally right and I've never even considered that before. The only way you could make a game that could do both single-screen and two-screen is if you either could play the game in both modes (which means the single-screen game would probaly be an inferior experience), or if you make the off-TV mode a completely different game mode from the main game the same way Pokemon Amie is nothing like the main Pokemon games (but that's a lot more work for the devs). Doing anything else traps you into your trilemma.

Heck, when did this even happened with their handhelds?
Really the only generation that "many hardware revisions" applies to is the DS consoles, and they were an anomaly in Nintendo's history.

New 3ds games only work with the new 3ds systems

Oh, well in that case, it's a totally different system (a really weak new system (kinda like the Wii U, I'm starting to see a pattern)), so it's not multiple hardware revisions in the same generation the way the DS was.

I don't think its an entirely new system. It is backwards compatible with ds and 3ds games. Though it is essentially pointless because there are almost no new 3ds games out and the Switch is going to kill all the 3ds systems.

If it has games that don't work on the other systems, I think that would be enough to justify calling it a new handheld. The Wii was completely backwards-compatible with the Gamecube, and the 3DS was completely backwards-compatible with the DS. This is something Nintendo has been very good about backwards compatibility, with the notable exception of the Switch.

How long until they off Kojima, then?

After retards have conclusively proven that people will buy old games again if you offer them exclusively on your online store its not hard to see why.

I like to think that most of the sales were normies who didn't actually own a Wii U, but that's probably not the case.

Even so, Nintendo's backwards compatibility record is an anomaly in the industry, second only to DirectX/OpenGL on PC. You can transfer a Pokemon directly from a Gen III game all the way to Sun/Moon without any issues, just about every Nintendo system supported the previous generation's games, and with some minor homebrew modifications, you can play 15-year-old games on the Wii U (although it can't read the Gamecube disks). It's too bad that they've decided to abandon that track record and start doing stereotypical console things like paid online, but I imagine NVIDIA gave them a large discount in order to make the Shield 2.0.

I'm thinking it's that, plus parents buying the system for their kids, who are, of course, the truest newfags.

b-but muh piracy.

Thanks, no ones really appreciated me posting that info before. To top it off the only real solution to that Wii U design problem is to basically make a mini game collection that covers all uses of the two screens, so you basically end up with Nintendo Land/Game & Wario.

A better way to look at it would be:

Then theirs the "odd ones" size revisions

I'm glad I could make your day!

Sometimes they don't even try to make it look like an accident.

GUNPLAY YOKOI

Smartphones.

There are a lot of excess small parts on the market that can be used for decently game devices that can be moved around.

holy shit

muh based japs amirite?

Zipperhead, whatever.

This is that journalism book about the yakuza involvement in japanese game development, isn't it? Can you upload the PDF?

man, the jap games industry is hardcore, and not in a good way

Well it's not just about the yakuza. It's a collection of interviews with a bunch of Japanese devs from the 90s. The file size is too big for me to upload, but it's called "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" if you want to look for it.

I just happen to find it on my cloud files. Thank you anyway.

what the fuck

Does it matter?