Total War thread

New historical title confirmed for next year, Vikings for early 2018, Tomb Kings teased for January
In the meantime we get this so no need for external configuring, absolute madmen

Just how many fucking games are there for this franchise?

-Shogun
-Medieval
-Rome
-Medieval 2
-Empire
-Napoleon
-Shogun 2
-Rome 2
-Attila
-Warhammer
-Warhammer 2

11 mainline games
Around 10 more Expansion packs/spin offs

Jesus christ, I can't keep up. Only played Rome.

Play Medieval 2 nigger
You'll either love it or like it if you enjoy Rome

I wish they'd stop doing so much coke and start patching their game.

This video goes over the problems CA has been having behind the scenes and insight into their patching process.

are you an actual shill?

sounds good, I'm really into that setting,
but I wonder how will this shit be, afraid but just another rome2 re-skin

changing texture settings changes load times the most. set them to low and the game loads fucking fast. I've had this problem since the early total war games and it just becomes less noticeable as i gradually swap parts for better ones

You're not allowed to talk about Total War here OP.

I'll shill for MilkandcookiesTW. His videos are cozy.

Because…?

Literally the wrong thing to do.

The Warhammer game are at least ok.

disregard the retard

speaking as someone who actually knows project management, git and branching
I can see how messed how code can get, its a huge game with lots of subtleties and people complain shit like "why can't they make it better"

Is the only difference between TW:WH 1&2 the factions you get to play? And the map obviously, but mechanics-wise are they the same?

Lot of little quality of life improvements and tweaks here and there, but mechanically they're pretty much the same. The DLC from the first game works on the second in a rare instance of not being complete jews. They're still overpriced and lack any sort of discount for getting them all at once if you're going to spend money on it.

There's a DLC to connect the two games into one big ass map.

I'm waiting for the 3rd game to come out, that's gonna be the biggest TW game yet with all the maps and faction combined.

Fuck me i forgot how to play stainless steel…why I'm dropping more and more in the red if the finance balance says I'm gaining 2k per turn?

bumpity, did the new Rome2 dlc already come out? any words on it?

Rome retards won't allow it.

I think it's out but the verdict seems to be that it has some decent changes but doesn't fundamentally change the game itself. It's another hackjob like they have been doing since Attila.

Just as bland as any of the CA campaigns have been as they never make the AI smarter or more cunning.

Attila is no hackjob.

Yes, the games were designed from day 1 to work together. The original races are a bit weaker though since they have yet to apply the foundation update to mortal empires, the stitched together campaign map.

Correct

thoughts on Attila vs Rome 2?
i get that it was somewhat the fix for the latter, but they actually seem to have pretty different campaign styles, and even the map seems bigger?

its the overall world yes, but its definitely smaller than their individual counterparts, no?

I'd love the Emp map for R2 grand campaign but as for either they're both shit. Too many lolpanicbutton unit abilities and not nearly enough need to use your brain. Attila also has far, far too many tacked on mechanics that don't make sense or simply suck ass.

Attila is more immersive and I love the focus on germanic/nordic units.

Care to list some?

I've had light infantry progress into heavy and then back into light as a course of natural research. I've had scorched earth tampon zones because the AI is too dumb to proper colonize or defend his gains. The cold mechanic is something that would be heavy handed for TWWa. Diplomacy, gimped as it always was in TW is even worse since you've got three hard line camps: romans go home, huns go home and either roman or hun. Everyone but the few dlc factions looks, fights and generally plays the same. Somehow they managed to increase the frequency of garrison battles. Extremely low effort given to graphics; for example they only feature two (one and a half actually) chainmail textures. For comparison Barb Inv had near a dozen and some of the crazy mods have as many as a hundred. And that's of the top of my head

Funny how the dlc shit actually got some focus.

Can you list this as example?
This is no way a bad mechanic since the huns can do the same to you, effectively running the whole map with the raze mechanic.
How exactly? The only annoyance is the fact your units suffer penalties in winter season.
Attila has one of the workable diplomacy where factions don't betray you out of nowhere like in Medieval 2. You can maintain a peaceful alliance with the huns.
There are various cultures in the same, and while they are similar factions within the culture, they don't actually fight the same, play the celtic the same way you play as the germanic and you are gonna be in a reckoning.
That sounds like nitpicking to me considering there are more details put into historical armors.
Main game got enough focus already.

Sure, I can go on for two or three hours like I do every time I engage someone used to forum replying or I can remember why I don't frequent TWCentre any more and save me some time. You asked for examples and when you got some you went damage control. Straight up lies and everything.

user, you obviously love that shit enough to look past it's faults. Hell, to shill for it. I on the other hand don't care for it enough to play a pirated version for more then a couple of days and throw my hands up in boredom and disgust. I think it's garbage, I know it can't be modded worth a spit and I'm pretty sure we're not going to see eye-to-eye no matter how much I rebuff your bullshit. And no, it's not about R2vsAT since again, they're both rather shit. R2's just a bit more varied and interesting as opposed to polished and even more streamlined.

OK, user. I can't force you to like a game.

You make it sound like it's a question of personal preference. It's not. I just believe you're too far gone / not worth the effort.

It is a question of personal preference.

The fact you don't like the game doesn't mean it's bad.

No, it's a question of generational clash. One prefers junky and deep enough to provide a good platform for further modding and the other likes shallow, easy to grasp, streamlined and big shiny buttons that allow for plays to make phone tier tacticians happy. One looks for campaigns that last days if not weeks and the other those that last hours or twitch streams. And of course not. I generally can't stand racing games but I'm sure some of them are alright if you're into that. Thing is, the fact that you threw some shekels on steam doesn't mean it's good either.

that is simply not true, attila doesn't have panic buttons or whatever you mean
and in fact its the single most challenging TW to date, just google "total war attila hard" and you will see even veterans had a hard time with it

Is she even trying?

The only remotely fast about Attila is the battle though.

And no, Attila is more complex than say, Rome 1 or Medieval 2, morale and fear faction matter way more now.
You can rout an entire army by pushing on fear troops.

Are we getting proper nordic raiders and traders or will it be horny viking bullshit? I really don't trust CA with anything anymore.

I'm sorry that people calling your opinion shit makes you butthurt. Maybe you would be more at home somewhere else?
>>>/reddit/

CA hasn't done horny viking since Medieval 1: Viking invasion. Their games have some of the most historical correct viking to date.
It's more like butthurt Rome 1 fans who sage every TW threads.

whats the problem here?
the what is what? fucking elaborate you illiterate
>Diplomacy, gimped as it always was in TW is even worse since you've got three hard line camps: romans go home, huns go home and either roman or hun
again fucking make sense of something mate, and its false, diplomacy works pretty well in the game
completely false point either

at least the other user went to the trouble of trying to explain everything, but your points are just as retarded

Turbo gay

Right. You can also press a button and rout heavy cavalry because suddenly your infantry got armor piercing and anti-cavalry for 30 seconds or so. One would assume they either have AP weapons or they don't but what's a modern strategy without cooldown abilities, right?

The other user has more shit caught in his teeth then your average community manager and you're no better either. Funny thing is that there are discount tier games like the XIII century or Neocore's Kings' Crusade that do the TW combat leagues better than the actual TW games. Even Imperial Glory played better than vanilla Napoleon or especially Empire.

Sage is not a downvote. The only thing sageposts can do is offend you with mean words.

Lazy, but I'll allow it.

you're just being a massive faggot now, everything about Rome 2 and Attila is direct evolution of previous UI, with the exception of Wawa that went more fancy
feels like you're mixing Wawa and Attila, because one of these is nothing like what you described,
if anything it just shows you didn't even play the game is spewing out nonsense

…uh, please list the ability that gives armor piercing right off?
Such as what?
I play those games and they are nowhere even near TW in terms of depths. Especially King's Crusade where there are only 3-4 types of units. King's Arthur is fun though.
And you call me having shit in my teeth, come the fuck on.

Sage is not a downvote, so why spam it?

In fact, they sage it in order to sink the threads.

Because they want to call you an asshat. No reason needed.
How can they sink the thread when it does nothing? Sage is not a downvote, get it in your head moron.

bullshit Attila doesn't have cooldown abilities, its pretty obvious you're full of shit and never played the game

Oh, so they are using it as a downvote.
They sage it so the thread isn't bumped by their post, they use it as a downvote, the goddamn ledditors.

I was wondering about sauce too, care to share?

Attila does have many cooldown abilities, such as precision shot, or fear effect.

But I don't remember a cooldown ability that gives armor penetration to infantry.

Spearmen, heavy infantry, light infantry, pikemen, crossbowmen, archers, light cavalry, shock cavalry, heavy cavalry, horse archers each with at least crusader, mudslime and levantine units. Some with additional specific crusader, byzantine or merc variants. And unlike CA shit all in base game, with dedicated models, textures and faces.

Stack some more replies and maybe you won't cry yourself to sleep tonight.

Try playing slavs.

oh yeah, forgot about those, they are minimal though
most abilities thought are set, like formation or something usually having a trade off from the bonus it offers

Does the thread move lower on the page because they sage? No you fucking moron it stays right where it was.
Why would they bump a shit thread like yours? If you want it bumped do it yourself.

Total War has all of those troops, and more. Never mind that the spearman, pikeman and heavy infantry all classify as heavy infantry, and I don't remember shock infantries in King's crusade.
And don't matter one bit since their armors look fucking ridiculous.
Slavs have poison arrows. They don't have abilities to make their units instantly armor piercing.

You're slipping, shill-kun.

The thread is not bumped when they sage.
So they indeed use it as a downvote, why post in a thread you don't like?

It's really nothing, just prostitution and a bit of ugly fat guy here and there. But I only found a nip version, so maybe there's something to the story I'm not getting.

Least he's honest about his mistake.

I still wait for your anti-armor ability.

And goddamn, shilling for Imperial Glory over Napoleon, goddamn contrarian.

Nigger, you can't even into ID's. As for muh abilities Horse Butchers/Cutters have Cavalry Counter-Tactics which is a ~30 second boost against cavalry and Slavic Axemen/Axe Warriors/whatever the third one is called have Frenzy or whatever it's called that among other things arbitrary increases their armour piercing rating. As for playing the game slav archers get Precision Shot which also increases accuracy and AP rating. Poison archers are what Venedians get, Sclavenians are a different faction.

It's nice that we are such a tight knit community I can recognize one shill from the other.

That trailer just shows me that apart from Tomb Kings they really have no idea what to do with Warhammer 2.

Are there any patches that make Empire playable and faster?

It's called Napoleon.

For your information, none of that make the troop anti-armor instantly.

Frenzy just increases damage at the cost of fatigue.

>slavic axemen frenzy ability
>Melee Base Damage 16 to 24
>Armour-piercing Damage 16 to 24
>'Armour Piercing Yes
Know what the real kicker is? Fatigue doesn't even come into the equation you bored, baiting piece of shit.
>Resistant to Fatigue
>Fatigue has less of an effect on this unit.

But axe unit has innate anti-armor stat, frenzy enhance their damage overall, not turning them into anti-armor unit for 30 secs.

The fact they are resistant to fatigue does not mean -50% fatigue does not tire them out.

5-6 ones worth actually playing (stop after Napoopean unless you want to play coop).

Empire should be playable with the latest patch, at least in terms of stability. It still doesn't run great on toasters but if you've got the hardware there shouldn't be huge issues.
The problem for popular mods, notably Darthmod, is that siege battles and the fucking Ottoman map navigation issue can cause serious issues.

Good TW games after Napoopan:
- Shogun 2 and its expansions
- Attila and its expansions
- Total Warhammer series

Sue me faggot.

Empire just isn't worth it even with DarthMod (Which is largely shit as well). We all want a TW game where you can fuck around across the globe but it ain't happening.

Global Total War would sacrifice smaller details for the bigger scopes.

TW games are better off condensed in specific regions to be honest.

Total WaWa :^)

But WaWa doesn't have battles that last 3 hours real time and units named after their faction's historical language, therefore Rome-homos (Romos) won't even look at it.

I sure hope you're not implying 3 hour long real time battles are bad

It's utter pile of shit. Oh and the fucking dlc unlocking of the factions which are already in the game is fucking unacceptable.

Why is it an utter pile of shit?
Its more casual than historical, yes, but has much more variety and options, especially on combat situations.

This shit looks like it will fry my GPU

It's bad, 3 hours for a battle is super long.

You can play a match of Supreme Commander in 3 hours.

Sounds like a casual to me
So?

CA has been doing that for years. You don't get to bitch about it when it's been going on that long and your dumbass buys it anyway.

A supreme commander game tends to last super long time because it's mainly a battle of attrition.

Units aren't endless in TW so ergo, a battle will end in less than an hour.

Some are free though, Britannia.

I got it on sale for 12 bucks and I still feel like a dumbass. Its an equivalent of on disc dlc.

Wow

That the single best battle I have ever had in a total war game was in the game that came out 13 fucking years ago is a travesty.

It's not on-disc to say at least. Some factions are only expanded due to the DLC.

Wonder how it can get to 2 hours especially if your shit gets ambushed.

I downloaded a Rome 2 repack to try it out and the romans have all-female gladiator units that are stronger than regular roman soldiers. Explain this.

It's a stupid ass DLC.

CA has been pushing this crap a lot lately.

Not really, not much warrior womyn in Attila and Warhammer.

It wasn't an ambush and you can actually have big armies in the old games because they don't bog the shit down with all the new muh graphixxx bullshit. Like I care that my triarii has dents in his shield and a frown on his face if the animations stutter because the engine can't handle that many dudes. Plus it's a pretty simple change to make units not route within a minute of combat so you actually have time for tactics with something besides cavalry.

Attila has women mixed into the levy units for most barbarian and horde factions.

WaWa doesn't have too many women because nerds would rightfully throw a shitfit.

So you have to pay extra for the poz. I guess I'll try Shogun 2 and see if that's worth buying, everyone seems to like that one and it's old enough that it should run perfectly.

Oh sweet summer child.
SH2 has Onna Bushi and warrior nuns. That's historically justifiable at least though.

That's at least historically accurate, the professional armies don't have them though.
All Total War games are for nerds user.

But the engine in newer TW games can handle more dudes though.

I agree on the speed of combat though.

I know less about nip culture so it wouldn't bother me as much. The Romans would most definitely not let women anywhere near a battlefield.

Depends on your standard for "can handle". Yeah they were there, bit their animations aren't going to be playing right and some other fun problems related to that. The engine itself was stuttering because of too many soldiers and this battle was just two stacks. I don't even want to try more.
inb4 toaster, even my brothers brand new PC had the same problem

I believe they justified the women DLC with some obscure references to female gladiators. I don't doubt some women fought in the arenas as a novelty but enough to make a whole regiment is highly unlikely.

Even if they somehow managed to form a regiment, any Roman general would have chopped off his own dick before sending women to battle, it would have been immensely shameful.

Oh and I forgot, even having gladiator units is already questionable. Gladiators were considered dirt by the Roman military, they only got popular with the normies sometimes.

It's just a stupid ass feminist-theme DLC.

I dunno about you, but you can see 50000 units battles on Youtube, from Shogun 2 to Attila.

They wouldn't last 2-3 hours though.

THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE TOTAL WAR GAME TO PLAY IS MED:2 WITH STAINLESS STEEL, ALL OTHER OPINIONS ARE INCORRECT

ANYTHING AFTER MED 2 IS CASUAL FACEBOOK TIER TRASH UNWORTHY OF PLAYING

After Rome 1, come the Med 2 fanboys.

Med 2 has broken ass diplomacy, dude bro, even SS can't fix that.

I LOVE GETTING PAGAN MAGICIANS FROM SPENDING 1 TURN IN A 60% CATHOLIC PROVINCE TOO BRAH

Med 2 is the best in the series yes.
Doesn't mean it can provide everything the others do though.

yea because TW games are known for their none broken diplomacy.
Show me a TW game with working diplomacy.

Shogun 2.
Attila.
Warhammer 1&2.

Med2 just has very obfuscated diplo mechanics, just like it has very obfuscated ancillary and trait mechanics. You can game the system easily enough if you know what you're doing. Same with SH2 but the numbers aren't hidden from the player.

People like you will be among the first hanging from trees

Common Core really did a number on the average burger's reading comprehension didn't it.

it also has the broken mechanic of everyone hating you a lot more if you peacefully take towns making sacking the better option for making friends and money 100% of the time

One day we'll get the Von Carsteins with gatling guns

I specifically liked Warhammer's confederation mechanics.

Wish that happens in a regular TW game to be honest, so it's kinda like Crusader Kings 2 where you can confederate with other kingdoms and become say, Germania.

Attila has confederations but they hardly ever work.

But maybe they learn something from Warhammer.

Can you write using nonmeme speech?

When they get off their asses and add ratling gunners it'll just be a question of importing the models.

for now there's the ratling gunner mod

Is there anyway to stop myself from getting my ass kicked? I play the dwarves and the wood elf faggots always get an army filled with skirmish bitches that stay out of my vision. The gyrocopters are fucking garbage that lose to any unit with range in the game

either with a lot of dwarven crossbows or a lot of heavy armor chaff to just eat the arrows until they're forced to 1v1 you fgt. gyrocopters are for anything that cant shoot back

I always feel like gyrocopters were way underpowered. Even if the enemy can't shoot back they take way too long to actually do any work. Also they should really get a shoot while moving buff if nothing else. Or an increase to 8 models to actually do any damage. the enemy heroes are skirmishers who stay out of vision so crossbows aren't very effective.

theres 2 types of gryos. the shooting type is for killing single units like heroes but for skirmisher heroes they're only good for tying them up while you get another hero to go fight them. and then bombers have the bomb ability which great when the enemy blobs but otherwise useless and probably better off with irondrakes for mass killing

Maybe when they hit something it might do a bit of damage assuming the hero isn't on anything that flies. These things are slow as fuck compared to any mounted hero. Any ideas for how i could use them? assuming they're even good against wood elves.

gyrocopters are only good against non-missile ground groups and even then only good for support your troops and not in any large numbers. basically your best bet against elves is just mass some dwarves that have armor and shields and you eat fucking arrows until they're forced to melee you and die

Holy fucking hell that trailer is fucking cringy to watch.

I liked it

Gotcha user. I usually limit my ranged troops to 2 units and rarely 3 units since they're so hard to defend against the inevitable chariot/ cavalry rush. I think it's alittle unfair that the empire and elves have lenient use of nets while the dwarves have to cough up over 800 gold for a one use item with a huge recharge time.

Nigger, WaWa has been out for years. You couldn't do the tiniest bit of research to see if you'd actually enjoy the game? The only "on disk" DLC content when the game came out was Chaos. The rest is stuff that was patched in later. I don't agree with roster DLC for base game factions, but there's nothing wrong with having the DLC factions patched in as an incentive to purchase and to make sure mods work.

I pirated Shogun 2 and I had a good time. Fight me you bitch.

I wish they would go back to non fantasy shit.

I thought the spirit of the trailer was fine, but some of the dialogue was too memey.

They are, allegedly. The question is if it will be any good or not.

Somebody at CA just seems to love to do the Skaven VA and that's why they made that trailer.

Where's my proper Mortal Empires patch CA??

March

it is somewhat justifiable, campaigns in Wawa are not just "drop you in and play the game", every playable faction has an actual campaign with story following, maybe cutscenes and all that shit

hurr durr, Med 2 is the best, but only if you use mods
fuck off