Vidya Tolkien and lord of the rings

What do you guys think of Lord of the Rings in gaming industry? Do you believe this setting still has a chance? Or EA having a tight grip on it will forever kill it? Tolkien has a lot of influence on entire series of various fantasy settings. His works are shared across a lot things, but your usual rpg with orcs, elves and dwarves are all based on Tolkien work. Why people value Tolkien so much, they constantly copy him?

It obvioulsy has vast potential, but let's face it the best LotR/Hobbit game will remain the (((Goyim Workshop))) tabletop because the others are somehow bigger Jews

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.
We don't need more cancerous additions to his works. What he gave us was more than we could ask for. Just let LotR die fondly.

I am currently reading akallabeth, and thinking that tolkien setting indeed has a lot of potential like said, but that potential never comes realized. Not even a nice rpg with some decent strategic elements came out of it. Only shitty movie inspired beat em ups, and 2 good strategy games. Well, there was Tales of Middle Earth, but that roguelike is pretty forgotten.

So far, most LotR games have been pretty good, surprisingly enough.
That depends if they keep playing loose with the license. We're off to a pretty bad start with those horrible Shadow of Mordor games.
I think you're confusing that with Star Wars. EA lost the license somewhere around 2010, it's currently being held by WB. The movie license, at least.
Because it works and people are familiar with it. You don't really have to establish orcs and elves because most people have a pretty good idea of what dwarves and elves should be like. Also, it hearkens back to European mythology, which most people are at least vaguely familiar with.
I actually prefer generic orcs & elves to shitty OC races

Lord of the Rings: Conquest was such a great concept and such a fucking terrible game. The worst part is that its failure seems to have been the excuse to kill Pandemic.

The Hobbit game (which long predates the movie) is solid and Third Age: Total War, despite being a mod, is pretty fucking great. I would advise chopping out some of the 'balancing' scripts in the latter though.

Lord of the Rings world is boring and static, confined by its own story. I prefer games that borrow elements from it but are made as games from the start with the original story facilitating the game and not the other way around.

WE think you should kill yourself.

the only correct answer in a datamining thread. check 'em

I haven't played many games based on Tolkien's world. The only one I played was a game based on The Fellowship of the Ring for the original Xbox.
I think The Lord of the Rings is largely inseparable from its medium. It was written to be an English version of a Norse saga. You can adapt the world to another medium, but you're always going to lose that literary quality in the transition.

In a nutshell, Tolkien did a ton of research and took all of the coolest parts of Western mythology and turned it into a story palatable to Christians and the Western mind in general. That was his intention from the start and he succeeded. It's just a world ripe for storytelling.

Prince of Nothing game when?

LotR should be appreciated as literature, all the spinoffs don't do it justice, and games is the worst place for a spinoff.
Shadows of the Hedgehog original character insert do not steal is not what i want to ever see touching LotR.

Already happened with Shadow of Mordor user.

Oh dear.

The games industry should just leave Tolkien fantasy and The Lord of The Rings alone and just do what every other hack creative does. Create a fantasy world that totally isn't apeing Tolkien fantasy we swear. Shadow of War would have been better if it was it's own ripoff fantasy world as opposed to being a LoTR spinoff that shits all over so much pre-established canon.

Lord of the Rings is actually pretty boring for vidya games.

Tolkien's grave should be laid to rest, but his son leaving his position in Tolkien's estate, expect more raping and diversity bullshit in the future with Silmarillion adapations.

I actually played that piece of shit game user, I even back then I didn't like it even though I was a pleb
In fact once the hype died I started hating this pile of retardation for abusing the Lotr verse.

that's the joke
the MMO was basically the same, doing forced story inserts just ruins everything. this dumbass modern concept of "expanded universe marketing", so bad.

this this, but do it right, which none of them have. they copy the race types and a few tropes, but have no understanding of the mythological literacy that made it good. Tolkien built an amazing fantasy world by creating it all and telling none of it, all the expanded knowledge was released posthumously. everything was told from the perspective of story and not by dumping "lore" spaghetti all over the place. can't go 5 steps in a Skyrim Age of Warcraft without autistic DEEPEST LORE external monologue. Tolkien doesn't explain the points system and metachlorians of magic, it's crazy shit that the wizard casts and nobody understands.

This was one of the best pieces of advice I received while studying game design. You should show and not tell, but just because you aren't prattling on for 15 minutes about exposition only 5% of your players care about doesn't mean that the amount of effort you put into crafting the lore and background doesn't show. If you put effort into your setting, it will show even if your game takes place in a tiny part of it. I hate to bring it up but Dark Souls is a decent example of this, although the background to be discovered is not actually that deep, it's mostly about character arcs.

All of the rights will up for grabs by next year at the latest
So no, it really doesn't.

Sad that most people decide to take the most superficial shit from him and fuck it up.

I bought LotR:Conquest on release. Up there with GW2 as one of the worst decisions I make.

Show over tell is always great. If your writers are not up to the task then going for a licensed property with a solid existing body of (at least semi-)consistent lore is the next best thing (basically the VTM:B solution).

Don't forget the current meme that he was a racist.

EXPLAIN AND WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD OF THIS

He was kind of racist, though mostly benign. Things like mentioning "Mongoloid blood" or the like (though I'm paraphrasing). It's not really a new idea. For some reason he liked Jews, though. He hated Hitler because he didn't like Germanic mythology and literature being associated with him.

It's not even remotely close to the truth as usual. Muslims are represented by a different people in the setting which never even show up in the trilogy. Tolkien described his design philosophy for creating orcs and he said something to the effect of, "I wanted to make an "evil" race which is not so evil that they cannot be redeemed, because that's un-Christian, so I wrote in that orcs are tainted elves." I don't think there is too much in the way of direct cultural influence for the orcs, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, I was just thinking of his personal beliefs.
His works aren't really racist at all.

Take your fucking pick from the normal selection of mental-illness inspired 'I'm a victim' nonsense:
>Sam and Frodo were clearly written to be gay but Tolkien was a self-hating homosexual who couldn't handle that so he toned it down. This is fucking crazy if you know the origin of the Beren and Lúthien's story he literally wrote it about his wife and their experience but hey, that would involve actually reading some of his work instead of just watching the films.
>Orcs are clearly an analogy for blacks and/or kebab, Tolkien was a racism on a related note he was, by the way, an early opponent of South African Apartheid
>The 'Eastern Men' who fight for Sauron only after being essentially lied to iirc are islamophobic stereotypes
>LotR is an analogy for Tolkien's worries about post-war immigrations Tolkien is, once again, on record as repeatedly and quite forcefully saying he hated direct analogy in writing
>Tolkien occasionally used the term Mongoloid, despite it being the recognised (and correct) term for those from Eastern Europe/Asia at the time. I mean by modern standards you might have a case but that relies on a misunderstanding of the terminology of the time
>Tolkien was a Nazi because he liked Nordic sagas and so did they extremely silly because he's on record as explicitly anti-Nazi in large part because he viewed them, rightly or wrongly, as hijacking and eventually discrediting Nordic history/Nordic pride instead of valuing their own - and distinct - Germanic culture
>Tolkien thought Franco was the lesser of two evils in Spain and was generally anti-Communist (and explicitly anti-Stalin), obviously this is badwrong since only Nazis and/or Fascists would think like that though to be fair mixing up Nazi and Fascist is a common mistake
>Tolkien said we shouldn't Dresden all of Germany, this makes him a Nazi (calling him a Nazi is a common one, you'd think they'd at least accuse him of something he isn't on fucking record as denying even before WW2)
>The Battle of Helm's Deep is a racist analogy for colonial events like the Boxer Rebellion and the Indian Mutiny where white people had to hide inside buildings and shoot poorly armed natives. This one appeared to be a misunderstanding of the fact that the film's version was based off of iconic scenes from the film Zulu but frankly I wasn't going to ask the faggot in question to explain his retarded views.

I've read some variety or another of all of the above in various places on the internet and actually heard most from people in real life modern Western universities are a fucking joke and really are populated by the most cucked humans around. Don't waste your cash or your time on them. There's probably more but it all starts to blur into a mass of fucking stupidity after a while.

I suspect this was mostly a reaction to his personal dislike of the Nazis combined with his interest in the way their language worked, never forget how much of a language-autist Tolkien was.
Well that association did make it almost impossible to take pride or even interest in such things for decades afterwards and even now it's liable to get you labelled as a racist without some sort of 'excuse'. When you watch the field you've based you life's work on become fucking pariah-tier in 11 or so years after a group of politicians hijacked it for their own ends you'd be pretty fucking mad too.
Also the destruction of any knowledge/culture/language/art seems to have rubbed him up the wrong way, whatever the reason for that destruction.

They're "racist" because it's a celebration, a tribute even, to Western (read: white) culture and mythology, and he is "racist" for preferring that sort of culture. Typical shit. There was also vague mentions of the "dangers of the Eastern peoples" or something like that, he was blatantly referencing the Mongols (who most people nowadays have trouble remembering even though they hijacked most of the known world for a good little period of time). The orc invasion from Mordor is a reference to the Mongol invasion but Orcs aren't really similar to Mongols except for the fact that they don't really do agriculture.

Unfortunately I need to go to uni to do medicine.

Anyway

That sort of stuff make me angry too. Whenever I see some old looking statue getting demolished all I want to do is demolish the cunts doing it.

I'd expect that to have a better quality of student anyway, at least after the useless fucks drop out in the early years. If you're in bongland perhaps a lot of pakis.
In Tolkien's shit Elf-human relationships do not generally end well, at the very least even if they do there's a lot of shit to go through first.

That's the correct response, it's not acceptable under any circumstances. If you want to get mad look up what the Taliban did to a pair of old statues back in the 80s (70s? I forget the exact date).

ELVES?!

knife-eared faggot right here

Good on him, makes up for his luddite faggotry. Modern South Africa is the textbook example of why niggers should never be treated as humans.

They didn't believe this, though. The myth was about the land of Thule (most likely an old name for Norway) and it was never part of official Nazi ideology, just something a few of the Nazis focused on occultism liked to jerk off to.

Between leftists and anything else the "anything else" is always the lesser of two evils, mostly because you're less likely to starve to death.

Golems, user, golems. Being human requires having a soul and some expression of free will.

The thing with leftists is that everything that comes out of their mouths is white noise. They'll spin a million lines of bullshit, but what it always comes down to is this: "White men should not be allowed to enjoy anything, their sole purpose in life is to pay for their own extermination and then quietly die in a ditch". These people hate you, me, and everyone like us, they want us dead, and the sooner we give up and die the better. That's why they deserve no mercy or tolerance.

NOLDOR BEST ELVES!

Fantasy settings have "many different races", acceptance of existence of many different races is the very definition of racism. Every single fantasy author is technically a racist, or at least SHOULD be.
Have you ever noticed in most modern fantasy "races" represent multiracial civilizations with lizardmen, elves, orcs and dwarves living among humans?

Didn't Tolkien base the dwarfs on Jews?

Yeah, I think the whole dwarven obsession of gold and craftsmanship was inspired by the Jews as well. Not to mention, Israel is pretty mountainous

The Noldor did everything wrong.

Yes.

Luddite is a bit of a stretch, Tolkien wasn't really anti-technology he was just in favour of limiting the damage industrialisation might do to the countryside.
Ah, I guessed there'd be a grain of truth in it somewhere. Still a massive reach though, Himmler was the only high-ranking Nazi who had any real care for occultism and even that is heavily overstated.

Also, the fact they lack a soul.

Himmler actually wanted Germany to reconnect with their pre-Christian cultural heritage. How much of what he pushed for was actually historically accurate and not one huge LARP is debatable, but there was method to his madness at least.

As with all things it gets clouded up with sensationalist history and propaganda.

What? I'm reading the Hobbit now and it never says dwarfs don't have souls? Is it in the other books?

but damn if I did not enjoyed it a lot.

How long until real KANGZ take over Gondor n shieet?

Christopher Tolkien losing the rights to the franchise has killed it. We’ll see a story with a dyke Haradrim female as queen of Gondor within ten years. This is not a joke or hyperbole.

No, jews are vampires in any fantasy setting and you are dumb faggots who swallow things you read on the internet without putting a modicum of critical thought into it.

Shadow of War already introduced some diversity.

Someone more familiar with the lore can explain it better, but basically one of the higher beings blew his load early and made the dwarfs without the consent of the head deity, hence them not being alive in the sense of other beings of ME, but the god took pity on them and gave them the gift of life.

Didn't that already happen in Shadow of War?

Fuck off with that shit. They have no place in LOTR.

But that's just one nigger.

It always starts with "just" one nigger.

even in movies BtS they mentioned how Tolkien created multiracial multicultural universe or some shit but it was from mouth of some 40y so they probably inserted and edited a lot of shit.

I see, I guess I'll find out when I read the other books, thank you.

Just you wait for the Amazon series

Good point.

The mmo is nice but its F2P now

LOTRO is probably the best of the f2p cash shop MMOs, you can earn the currency in game pretty easy compared to games like STO. That said it''s still a f2p MMO with a cash shop.

While they are called "races" they function like completely different species. I think the use of humanoid "races" in a fantasy setting is similar to alien "races" in a sci-fi setting.

"race" is used as more of a catch-all term to describe any group of sentient creatures. Sure that sounds subjective, but even dragons are sometimes considered a race. But a race of what? Not a race of humans, that's for sure.

We don't need a Holla Forums history lesson. We know them already :^}

They were crafted from rock in secret by one of the demigods, while all other races were created by God himself. Because they weren't created by God, they don't have souls.

One of the reasons they hate elves is because elves remind them of this fact and it hurts their feelings.

HAHA, IT'S FANTASY!! HOW CAN YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT ARAGORN BEING BLACK IN A WORLD WITH MAGIC A DRAGONS HAHAHA! XD

They were stubborn, and they were warriors, but that was thousands of years ago.
They sure loved making idols.

Weren't there some dark-skinned foreigners that got mentioned in LOTR or the Silmarillion?
My memory is pretty fuzzy on that since I'm pretty sure they were only mentioned once or twice.

That, and their first meeting with elves went to shit if I'm remembering correctly.

Right, yeah. The elves thought of them as animals and hunted them for sport until some elves were like "You know, these stout little half-people are wearing clothes, using tools and seem to be pleading for their lives, maybe we're actually slaughtering sentient creatures".

its like you hate profits

They have as much of a soul as other living beings tho, as Eru Iluvatar felt sympathy towards Aulë after he found out the dwarf-shapes he had made in secret and decided to bestow them life

What
The elves and dwarves got along respectfully, not well, but not bad for a good while. Things didn't go to shit until the Dwarves got their hands on a Silmaril and killed Thingol leading to a major war between the two and the destruction of an Elven kingdom

However, they were destined to be at odds with each other according to the will of Eru when the dwarves were first created

I think I may have got it wrong. As much as the first option sounds amazing, it turns out they got along fine until a silmaril showed up.

Don't most fantasy settings that don't ape Tolkien turn into furshit though?

Unlike deviating species the fantasy races are capable of interbreeding together and produce viable offspring, that's why they are called races instead of species

Is that art based off Tolkien's work? It's pretty nice.

I think you replied to the wrong post. But yeah, most fantasy and sci-fi stuff is to the point where you could probably produce viable offspring with a fucking rock.

"The Sindar, not acquainted with Dwarves yet, thought the Petty-dwarves were animals, and hunted them. Not until the Dwarves of Belegost and Nogrod established contact with the Sindar did they realize what the "animals" were and named them Noegyth Nibin; Petty-dwarves."

The elves literally hunted and ate them.

That's a direct quote from the Silmarillion, right? If so, I'm glad memory didn't fail me.

Yeah, I don't have a copy of the Silmarillion right now, so when the wiki page didn't mention it I assumed my memory was faulty.

Yes, it's Fingolfin's challenge to Morgoth. i.e. one of the best moments in the entire legendarium
In the bottom corner you can just see Ted Naismith's signature. For the posthumous releases he's been the official illustrator.

They retake Moria and the lonely mountain. Also Gimli.

Yeah and dwarves are known for mithril and competing with elves on making the best arms and armor in middle earth. Also the fact they use FUCKING RUNES. Without hyperbole I hate you faggots who repeat this dwarves are jews shit without a single thought. On top of the Runes you have the names of the dwarves in the hobbit not even 15 pages into the poetic eddas. Dwarves as a whole are lifted from norse mythology, not a bunch of fucking kikes. I don't care what tolkien may or may not have said on the subject either, even if he truly did believe he was designing them after kikes they still came out as norse dwarves. Read the eddas, as tolkien no doubt did himself, then come back and try and say that dwarves are jews.

The Maccabees retook Judea. Also Samson.

Technically that rock was made of the Earthbones, while men and mer are descended from the Earthbones. So by TES lore, sexing up a rock and having a child isn't just plausible, it's probably pretty common.

What's your point? Are you sure you read the previous posts?

The fucking madmen, they actually did it.

Yeah, that Nordic part is the most obvious inspiration, but LOTR is influenced by more than just one historic culture. It's just most of his inspiration was European legends, since he was European. Also, he got people to realize how great Beowulf was.

The ancient Jews certainly like their fighting and also losing and retaking Jerusalem every other century. I think there was also that guy whose sons killed a village full of people while they were recovering from circumcision, and the whole thing between David and Saul.

These aren't you dad's elves. These are tolkiens elves. With preposterous amounts of testosterone.

They'll cut you up, bitch!

Tolkien's elves are superhuman you know they also had no sex drive

They have large noses and are greedy

There are so many good mods for other games (TW, CK2)and free roguelikes like Angband that the official vidya tbh aren't necessary and in all honesty shit.
The LoTR fighting game was good and Online was ok for the community but the rest are utter shit.

i liked it

the names dwrves have in the hobbit are not their real names, they're secondary names to use when around non-dorfs. (much like how jews have a secondary name to use when around the goyim)
Dwarves are very protective of their language, so no one knows their true names, or much of their secretive language.
some of them talk in private using dwarf sign language.

Gimli freely spouts off the name of every landmark in moria, Balins name is printed as Balin on his tomb, as is his father Fundin, and the dwarves previously attempted to teach their languages to humans but they couldn't grasp it but held on to a few words. The "inner name" thing is something that I think only results from Tolkiens adolation of the jews, it never has any impact on the universe at all, its just a background fun fact, it doesn't even hold up when it matters like the previously mentioned tomb of Balin. I also don't see how a bunch of introverted mountain dwellers having a private sign language makes them kikes.

So did aragorn know dwarvish or not?

So did you actually read my post or not?