Thief/stealth games

Now that it's winter and the sun is gone it's time to play stealth games.
Which thief games/mods/fan missions are worth playing and in which order?
Any other good stealth games?

Other urls found in this thread:

thiefmissions.com/search.cgi?sort=rating&search=#m
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106781
superfundungeonrun.com/?page_id=262
superfundungeonrun.com/?page_id=256
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thief is above average, Thief 2 is below average, Thief 3 is average, Thief 4 is terrible. Go play Thief, Thief 3, and then Styx.

One day I should try the rest, I only remember Blood Money being the one that gets praised all the time and absolution being the most hated one.

Blood Money is solid, and still holds up today. The first three are extremely clunky, so if you couldn't get into them, give BM a chance.

if games order i suggest thief gold, thief 2, t2x, t3.
when it comes to fan missions order, i first played mostly t1 fan missions, then moved to mostly t2 fan missions, but i still find some bretty good t1 mission. when it comes which is worth, picrel (sorry for colors, i dont have original pictures) + links below
thiefmissions.com/search.cgi?sort=rating&search=#m look by rating
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106781 here u can look for a map that can potentially interest you, detailed list by types.

The last Hitman is pretty good, really a worthy sequel of blood money and it's now complete so you can boot up your torrent client and pirate it
Blood money is a classic
The first Hitman has that shitty life and save system, it didn't really aged well
The second one is pretty good too, can't remember much about the third
Absolution is absolute dog shit, the disguises are useless and most missions are linear

Blood Money is not only the best Hitman game but also hands-down one of the best stealth games ever.

Those are all for T1?
Is Deadly shadows T3?

t1/t2 depends on the icon in the corner.
yes, deadly shadows is t3 and t2x is www.thief2x.com/

How's t2x different and where does the dark mod fit in?

t2x is a fan unofficial campaign set somewhere between t1 and t2, with a different protagonist, but its better to play it after t2 because it mentions characters from t2, so you know whats up. Different, adds interesting mechanic to the arrows, but overall its a set of well designed maps, has a story, even cutscenes with voice over.
Dark mod is not on thief engine, it has few nice missions, but big issue i have with it is that original thiefs have great sound engine, dark mod lacks on that department. Sound is very important in thief, because game is fpp, you often use sound to determine where the enemy is. I like lockpicking in dark mod tho, its like a small sound puzzle.
Anyway, dark mod, worth checking? yes, but on the long run, stick to thief1/2.
To keep everything nice and clean use DarkLoader

I imagine a game where you play as Santa would be stealth by default, since you have to sneak in houses to leave presents and not get caught by anyone.

Thanks for the info anons.

This is actually not a bad game idea.

Isn't that basically what that Burger King game was except with fast food instead of presents?

Blood Money's also the easiest, in case you're casual.

That actually sounds really fun.

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow is fucking great!

I also enjoy stealthing in FPS-multiplayer-games.

Maybe you drop a present every time you're caught, and you're scored at the end of each level based on how many presents you dropped versus how many made it under the Christmas tree.
Your stealth gadgets are made in Santa's workshop.
You can choose to land your sleigh in the yard for a quieter landing, or on the roof to let you get in and out quickly, but at the risk of having more alert family members, since they heard the noise of the landing on the roof.
Seriously, how has nobody made this game yet?

Blood Money is very good. If you want more of it, play Hitman 2016 with almost all of the gameplay features disabled in the settings. It had gorgeous, large levels except Colorado, fuck that one and it has a lot of challenges for replayability. It also has Elusive Targets, which is both great and a load of shit at the same time since they're calendar-based. Still, good game and I honestly prefer it over Blood Money.

It's alright, but it's a lot of the same. I stopped midway through because it just felt too much like the first one.

Same. Pandora Tomorrow is overrated. It's OK, but it's basically just an expansion pack.
Chaos Theory felt like a sequel, and it's hands-down the best Splinter Cell game.

Thief 2 feels like a mission pack to Thief 1 with few steampunk gimmicks added in. So how is it supposed to be worse than the consolized Thief 3? Explain your stance or be revealed as trying to stir shit.

Styx: Master of Shadows is fucking fantastic. Rough around the edges, sure, but the atmosphere and story are top-notch and despite gameplay being a bit clunky it is overall a superb game. Shards of Darkness is cleaned up, the graphics are high quality UE4 stuff, the gameplay is a lot smoother and better overall, however the atmosphere (still excellent) isn't quite as good, the story is nowhere near as good, and the game is littered with pop-culture crap that breaks immersion constantly.

Personally I highly recommend MoS. It's right up there with the Dark Engine Thief games, in my opinion. SoD is better than 95% of stealth games but I honestly felt it tarnished my enjoyment of MoS somewhat when playing it later, much as Thief DS did to the Dark Engine Thief games.

Mark of the Ninja is pretty good.

I don't know how you can say the game is fantastic while half of your sentence about it is just citing pretty noteworthy flaws.

anyway, play this if you haven't. or the PS2 original.

I'm not surprised to see a weeaboo recommending japshit can't tell the difference between "fantastic" and "flawless".

Here's the updated dark mod one.
Also, dark mod 2.06 is in beta right now. It features new soft shadows and a 64 bit version. Food heals now, too.

So what's the best stealth game that isn't Sneak King?

Play them. Then you can join the rest of us in lamenting the genre's near-death like and getting mad when people call any game with optional sneaking a "stealth game."
Kill me.

That "like" shouldn't be there. I think I might have brain damage.

I didn't say that. I said if your game barely has any sneaking then it's hardly a stealth game let alone the best. In bloodmoney once you get the best disguise (there are only 2 tiers and you have 2 knockout syringes making it easy as fuck to get silent assassin on most levels) it's basically an adventure game because you can go wherever you want with no repercussions. Unlike hitman 2 where you actually had to avoid guards a little because they could see through your disguise if you walked right up to them

Just started playing Styx for the first time. It's kicking my ass and I love it.

user…
I already did.

Then why are you asking questions that you already know the answer to?

Mark of the Ninja. You won't regret it.

my nigger

I don't know why but it would be a pretty fun game. You land in the yard, you have to pick a spot to climb the ladder onto the roof and you have to pick a smart spot to not get spotted from windows or passing by cars.

Then you can add tougher levels with things like the family dog can't get awakened, security alarm-system needs to be temporarily shut down (don't want to let burglars in either). Or you get something really big like a canoe you have to lay under the tree somehow.

Also add a timer on you for the hardcore-mode, because you need to get to everyones houses before christmas is over.

Hitman 2016 is the best stealth game.

It has a hotel level right? Hotel levels were my favourites in Blood money and Contracts.

one of these days we gotta summon up the ridiculous amount of autism needed to set-up, relearn, and play chaos theory spies vs mercs. That mode was fucking amazing

It was a pretty good game mode but i always prefered playing the coop campaign with a friend. We would play it every so often and have loads of fun. then he got a gf and stopped playing videogames

What would you like to see in a stealth game? Personally I'd love to see a game where you could crawl up walls and ceilings like Catwoman, except that you're limited by stamina while doing so and hanging on too long will cause you to fall off.

Any good stealth games for the ps3?

Who let >>>/reddit/ in here?

You could have a slow-time mode as a power. It would also help explain how you get to everyone's house in one night. And your bag could have some kind of function, though I'm not sure what–it's basically a bag of holding.

I'd like to see a stealth game that revolves around not being detected, period. I want a game where a museum guard getting a good look at you doesn't provoke a 30-second game of cat and mouse, but instead causes the guard to radio in that they've got an intruder in the building trying to steal the macguffin and then his buddy in the command center hits the big red button and all of a sudden security gates crash down and the lights come up and you're fucked.

I think it could work well as a cyberpunk game, honestly, just for the massive toolbox that you could have. I'd like a game that revolves as much around picking kit, gathering intel and planning as much as it does around the actual mission - if you notice heat sensors, for example, you could use that information to pick a skin replacement whose temperature can be controlled as well as a rebreather to stop your exhalations from being noticed. If you think that a grappling gun attachment for your prosthetic arm would be more useful than a riot prod attachment for your synthetic arm, go for it. I think that the player should be able to tackle things however they want, all the way from Hitman-style impersonation to a smash and grab ending in a gunfight to a European Extreme-tier flawless victory. Unfortunately this is all very firmly filed under "pipe dream" because it would be a monstrously complicated and detailed game.

You could always play one of the ten thousand action games with insta-fail stealth sections. It's terrible design and indicative of your shit taste, but it's not like what you're describing is hard to find.

Also, you can turn on insta-fail in NuThief.

Thief 1
Thief 2
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Xbox version)
Hitman: Contracts
Hitman: Blood Money
Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Hidden and Dangerous 2
The Operative: No One Lives Forever

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty
Commandos: Suddenly We're Fucking Cowboys Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive
Splinter Cell 1
Styx: Master of Shadows
Mark of the Ninja
Thief: Deadly Shadows (just make sure to get the fan-patch that removes the loading zones inside missions)
NuHitman, though the shit-tier business model is a major downside
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Death to Spies
Death to Spies: Moment of Truth
Manhunt

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (really the only thing it has over 1 is whistling and the meme-train)
Splinter Cell: Conviction (terrible SC game, halfway decent 'predator stealth' game)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Metal Gear 1 (note: MGS is not really a stealth series, MG was)
Metal Gear 2
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Hitman: Codename 47
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Styx 2
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
Commandos: Strike Force (it's sort of half-decent even if it was a complete genre-shift for better sales)
Sniper Elite 1
Manhunt 2
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way

Splinter Cell: Double Agent (next-gen version) this would be one rank higher if it wasn't so fucking buggy as to often be unfinishable
Splinter Cell: LENS FLARE AND GADGETS AND GUNS AND TITS AND MARK-AND-TRACK Blacklist
Thief 4
Hitman: Absolution
Alekhine's Gun/Death to Spies 3
Most indieshit 'stealth' games (particularly if they claim to be roguelikes/roguelites)

Anything missing? I wanted to include Hidden & Dangerous 1 but I think that just falls outside of stealth unlike the sequel which really lent more towards stealthy shit. Similarly the Sly Cooper games probably don't count despite being really quite good.

Oh and The Dark Mod obviously belongs in that list, probably under Great but I honestly haven't kept up with the fan missions and it's pretty much reliant on those.

What do you think of Manhunt 2?

nevermind saw it

No, but there’s a great movie that came out for it. I think it’s called Metal Gear Solid 4

I'm unsure about the technical differences between how Thief and TDM handle sound propagation, but it does try to emulate it. How well the sound propagation is handled, though, is entirely up to the FM maker.

That is factually incorrect. Still great games though.

I'd probably bump Silent Assassin up a rank but otherwise it looks fine.

1 is more espionage than stealth but I'd probably allow it.

the sneaking in either nolf game is just shit in general. I think the only reason people pretend those games are any good is because of the setting/style which is really, really really hit or miss. Every time I see someone mention it as something good it feels incredibly disingenuous.

Shadow Tactics is pretty good a bit short tough.

I'd play it

This is the exact premise of a pair of (pretty good) Metal Gear parody games:
superfundungeonrun.com/?page_id=262
superfundungeonrun.com/?page_id=256

Nani?

Merry Gear Solid*

Worst post I've read all day.

Im currently playing Styx 2
My only complaint is how fucking ugly the dark elf city is, i miss human castles and cities

I thieved thief but i can't save because the saver folder is read only and everytime i remove it it switches back instantly.

How do you replay missions in thief1?
Is there a mission selector?

Commandos is a kind of a stealth series.

As far as I know there isn't a way to select missions directly, but you can start a new game and while playing press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+End and it skips the current mission. There's only about 12 missions so it shouldn't take too long, at least.

I'd say so, even the weird FPS one.

Just skip to the one you want, there might be a console command to do that more easily.

Do what these guys says, skip the level. And optionally save at the beginning of each map and only use the quick-save when you actually want to continue in a level. If you just like to hop into the game and play one specific level sometime.

You can fit all levels in Thief 2, but in Gold you'll run out of exactly one slot. Thieves' Guild

There's shadow tactics, albeit it's stealth mostly comes down to puzzle solving

Ctrl-Alt-Shift-End while in a level.

This way you'll have the money from the previous mission too.
Just as planned.
Couldn't you just back up the extra save to another folder anyway? That way you'd just have to copy in Thieves' Guild or I guess Mage Towers if you ever wanted to suffer through it again. I've never bothered because I prefer to autistically play them through in order every time anyway.

Nice.

Giving a bump, we don't get a lot of Thief threads.
I got back into FM's and finished the black frog FM it was bretty gud.

Fuck off.

(vade retro satana)
Insta-fail and game over is a bad design except for some story-tied super urgent mission or condition. What you want is to able to continue but the guards are on full alert, send out parties to hunt you, fortify the objective and making you jump through more hoops to acquire and placing guards there for the remainder of the mission like in reality.

Says you, that's only bad for a stealth game when it isn't tied to the hardest difficulties or isn't repeatable trial and error. Different genres different demands user.

Are you retarded ?

Play shards of darkness and make sure to turn off the deadpool quips in the options menu.

bump

Started Thief 2x, was expecting more. Granted I only finished the second mission but man is the dialogue shit and cringey. Hope it gets better.

These two games are really good, especially the boss fights in the second. Shame the guy behind it fucked off and never finished the third one.

The story is atrocious, it will only get worse. The levels are top notch, though. Just play it for the maps, not the story. You'll get some nice toys to play with, too.

Remind me of ps1 grinch game, I remember I spent tons of hours into it.

Thief is way above average you cocksucker.

you fags need to put down those nostalgia goggles and admit that thief is a shitty series

Come back to me when a AAA dev makes a sound engine that is minamum as thorough and fleshed out as Thief's.

The levels were a mixed bag at best. Some, like the train one, were just walking to a point and loading into another area. The extra arrows were neat, but the only one I ever really used was the ice one and sometimes the flare one.

Wow, I didn't know about that.

Unless VR meme can make people care enough about realtime 3D sound to make a decent API again, nothing will ever happen.

Yeah I don't give a shit about the story I just want to be play the game.

I can already tell.

Man I fucking loved that game. How is it possible that a free game given out by a shitty fast food place could be so good?

Made by the same guys who did Taz Wanted and Pac Man World 3 which were also decent.

I have played neither of those games. Thanks for the recommendations.

oh, that's too bad.

Well, maybe it was for the best.

My favorite parts are where the politics of the creators get into the game and fuck up the Hammerites by making them 2D evil people. There's a scene where a Hammerite threatens to torture a little kid because he was bad at drawing.

season 1 is complete lol