/domg/ Dominions 5: Middle Age edition

Dominions 5 is a strategy game produced by Illwinter which consists of 2 guys who make games for themselves and their friends in their free time.

The game pits various nations based off real world myth fighting each other in a apocalyptic battle to prove who's god is the true god. The Pretenders as they're known appear once every era, leading their chosen people against the heretic nations to claim the title of Pantokrator; with each different age comes a different level of technology and magic, adding to the level of strategy for each nation.

Dominions 5 is the latest release which has several improvements over it's predecessors which have changed the game dramatically, the biggest changes being the variety of Blesses which empower your nations sacred troops with divine powers of your choice, and real time combat as opposed to the turn based method.
Besides these changes the game features thousands of units, and hundreds of spells and magical items; the depths of customization are huge and provides a lot to play with for your grand strategy

The game is currently only purchasable on Steam, which is kinda lame but you don't actually need to the client open to run it.

larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/
the dom5 inspector is forthcoming but it's expect to be finished soon in the meantime you can still use for some things.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

discord.gg/D6HhNfn
The discord is primarily for blitzes and direct connect games; All pbem games that are made will always be posted in the thread, but if you feel like getting in on more MP games come play with us there.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=8chMiddleagegame

Is our current PBEM game, Vanarus has hurt his hand and requested an extension this weekend but still staled, for some reason Pythium has staled.

If you join an email game please ask for an extension if you're going to stale, and if you feel like you can't commit anymore please find a replacement in this thread so we can keep the games going at a regular pace

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=8eamatch
discord.gg/D6HhNfn
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=maNoStalesPls
pandora.com/station/play/3351895222399846547
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MerryMurdergoround
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck off, post a magnet link nigger.

I don't have one but you can get the cracked version from the Revolt forums.

Every game there is always that one guy who joins just to stale every turn.

Does the level of fortification affect MA Ermor freespawn quality? Should I build everything up to castles or should I just stick with palisades?

can you play multi on pirated version?

Nice way to kill your thread fag

I know for Lemuria it effects quality in terms of getting more of the actual soldiers over the undisciplined spirits.

You can but the game will be limited to one pirate copy usually, if the game detects multiple cd keys even in a PBEM it will stale your turn.

IIRC yes, you need it for your top tier stuff like Knights of the Unholy Sepulcher

I didn't know this game series even existed but thanks to you faggots I am now hooked. I reckon it'll end up as one of my favorites, but it's certainly flawed when it comes to its presentation. The graphics are easy to critizise, but I think the battles would leave a much better impression if the units had walk animations and moved from square to square instead of warping around. Is this something that the creators have in mind and is it even feasible to begin with?

I don't think the devs have it as a priority but animations have improved a little bit compared with 4.

Personally, I'd like to see single-player become a proper gsg and the improved mod support could make that happen.

graphics are last thing that hardcore anthropologists care about tbh

The only thing that's improved graphics wise since the first game are the spell particle effects, the foliage, and the terrain generation. It seems to me that they think paying more money for better art is a waste. And it would be quite monumental for them to redo all of the graphics at this point since they just keep adding nations.

They redid a tonne of the old sprites to be higher resolution.

uninstaled fucking casul shit

Got hospitalized in Friday, ought to be able to get back in tomorrow unless some doctor decides to jew yet another day from me. Sage for blogposting.

Whats a good direction to take with a Tien'chi pretender? They don't seem to have a lot of blessworthy units, so maybe strong scales?

Show off your pretenders, i want to see some crazy builds.

someone make a nation based around spiders and not niggers tbh

on tien chi i go rainbow because you WILL have a fuckton of gems of all kinds. and it keeps with factions motive

okay that was fucking weird

Ea tienchi has some pretty good sacreds that resist all elements and have 2 attacks, and they have their sacred demons. MA has decent sacreds but most people afaik build more for scales. LA you could probably do something mainly for your mage priests, but you also get sacred spirits which work out well with death explosion and blood vengeance

TWO SCOOPS?!

It seems like all they did was scale the image and blur a fuck load of pixels to me personally. I prefer low res sprites to stay that way so that the pixel edges are cleaner.

So is it possible to play a blitz on a pirated version? I have no money or this game.

Maybe the sorcerer mind enslaved your blood marshal. Then your blood marshal killed your vampire 68 times.

Or more likely it just killed a bunch of summons.

How do you even play these games.
I don't mean 'how do you push the buttons to train troops'. I mean how do you structure an army? How do you know what units are good? How do you know what magic is good and how to get powerful late game units? When do you use your pretender to fight?

read the units stats, their equipment and spells then judge based on what seems good to you and try it out tbh

experience and the mod inspector helps out immensely, as soon as it's released.
A lot of that will also depend on who you're fighting against, what nation you're playing and so on.

When you gear them for it, though awake expanders aren't nearly as useful anymore due to necessary scales like growth and order being much more important to troop recruiting now.

That'll mostly be summons, so under conjuration

Why won't these damn Illithid mind flayers use their Mind Blast? They cast it once and then fuck off into combat. I have set them to FIRE and CLOSEST ENEMY, which supposedly make them use up their ammo before engaging.

How much Fatigue do they have when they shoot?

The best way to play this game I find is to come up with an overall strategy then try to enact it as best you can. Even if it's your first time playing the game. This game is very faithful to mythological themes so if you know something about mythology you can work off of those ideas until you establish a working knowledge of what's happening in the fine details. Read the nation descriptions carefully, come up with a strategy and then build your pretender for that strategy. The only really sticky part is knowing whether your nation has strong sacred units and what kind of bless buff to use on them. However you can answer questions like "How do I know when to fight with my pretender" easily; if you don't plan on having your pretender fight, don't do it. You will want a defensive buff like ethereal on your pretender if he's fighting solo, otherwise he will eventually get overwhelmed by ogres or something, but normal human shitters will be laid to waste. You can ressurect him as long as you have dominion but it's very time consuming and forces you to waste your priests' time sitting around praying for your revival. Remember, Jesus Christ was a scrub pretender who recruited 12 OP as fuck priests to Call God.

I think I might actually understand how to play the game now.

Just fool around in single player with a nation you like. After you figure out the basics of army make up, you should aim to capture 12-15 provinces in the first year(12 turns) of the game and get a 2nd fort down before the end of the year as well this will help give you a good foundation for the rest of the game especially when it comes to multiplayer. You could also try to expand further for more money temporarily but be warned the more nation's you border the more that will want a piece of you.

If you're going to go for that kind of clownery you might want to find a pretender that has the "Immortal" trait like a vampire. They respawn instantly as long as you have dominion in a province.

Sorry, it works if you die INSIDE your own dominion, then you respawn at the capital (first province you own). I don't use immortal creatures/gods frequently.

Actually, it was reading between the lines of your post that told me to read between the lines in the game. Stuff like
Is stuff that isn't obvious from a pure gameplay perspective. The first time I tried to play DoM4 I went in expecting this military strategy game but there's more surrounding the game than that that needs to be understood and appreciated before you can jump in. It's not a game to go in blind.

It's more of a meta-strategy for approaching seemingly unapproachable games like Dominions. I didn't play this game until I looked at the nation list. Then I thought, "Is that ancient Greece with philosopher wizards? Is that an undead nation based on the fall of the Roman empire? Is that a fucking underwater Lovecraft nation that allows you to send nightmares to enemy commanders?" And I just jumped into the game and tried to defeat my AI enemies. Another good one is Hinnom which allows you to be a race of cannibal Jew giants with Moloch for your god. Oy vey, stop casting Fire Storm! It's like annudah shoah!

Ching Chong veteran here, it really depends on the age.

Just fuck around in it.
I have over 400 hours in this game now and I still completely suck at it. Probably because I spend so much time just screwing around and doing stupid shit like playing Bandar Log and spending all my gems training my bandar nobles in death magic so I can have a bunch of gorilla necromancers.

Wew, I love that shit.

The changes to bless makes going for a bless-reliant strategy less powerful, since big buffs like fire weapons are incarnate-only.
That said, you can still make a strong bless that doesn't need your pretender around, but gone are the days of tanking everything but your bless.

That's kind of a shame, W9N9D9 EA Tien Chi was my favorite meme and was actually decent beyond year 3 because of the sacred summons.
But on the other hand exploding Ancestor Spirits that decay on hit sounds really funny.

WotFE also went from 17 def to 15 due to shortswords nerfed from +2 def to +1

already having fun

Actually there are two types of immortality now.

The type vampires have works no matter what, but requires 3 months or something and that you retain ownership of the province of origin

the other one is the old kind of Dominion based immortality.

LApleasekillme admin pls
Lemuria doesn't have the right game version, just set him to AI unless someone wants to sub

What's a good civ for rolling around with groups of mages and blasting everything to death?

Abysia
Caelum
Ctis

Any way to recruit more than one mage a turn in Dom4 other than finding recruitable mages in random provinces?

Wanted to archive the previous thread but someone already did apparantly.
Here it is for anyone interested: archive.is/swvR5

You'll have to build forts up, with a castle or higher you'll have 3 commander points max, which allows you to recruit a mage and a half, as long as it's paid for and qued on the previous turn you can get 2 mages on your next turn.

Things that cost 4 commander points though will always take 2 turns a mage.

>pssssht nothin personnell….kid
JUST
Also, captcha.

NIGGERS

By using your brains.

Check you units stats. Figure out their role.
Set up your army in a formation that favors them.
Generally:
tanks and chaff in front.
cavalry and flyers to the side.
Ranged units to the rear.
etc..

It all depends on how good your units are and how many you have.

I attempted this, but made a terrible mistake. I thought Salamnders were ranged, but it turned out they were not.

That's why you check the type of weapons they have dimwit. Only range weapons have the length stats with r next to the number.

Meant this for

any essential mods i need to have to play this game?

no. its perfect as is.
you might want to get more maps tho

Noob here how do i become necromancer who spawn shitload of skeletons and zombies. I have watched those basic videos i know how to build army and shit but how do i build weapons relics and shit? If units have candle they can be blessed by some shit spells right?

Sorry for using foul language but this game really makes me mad. The description of spells is fucking shit.

randomized maps are pretty good in my imo

you need to use your mages to make weapons/items/armour and depending what they can make is depending on the kinda magic they are empowered in, at what level that magic is at and what your construction research level is at

choose a civ that has death magic like ma ermor. conjuration spells are a must.
if your commander has magic school he will have option to FORGE MAGIC ITEM if he sits on a lab. researching CONSTRUCTION allows you to create better items
yes, they can be blessed by lvl1 priest, which gives units bonuses that you choose when building your pretender

So fire lvl or mix of whatever teaching + construction lvl + gem count = some kind of ass relic,weapon or armor

aye, it takes a turn to build and the items have set amounts of gem costs and they're usually pretty cheap

???

Okay here's another question.

If i want to be necromancer i need to put my points into death magic then research conjuration spells. Can i go to negative into wheat points and population points?

I would think growth is important to keep a population going and pillage the providence if you need corpses. In my game I drained my population completely and it fucked me hard.

these

you SHOULD go negative. of course depends on faction

These are more personal preference than essential for my single player Dom4 games.
Adds more heroes to the base games factions.
Allows you to recruit another factions units, sans sacreds, at a captured capitol.
More spells fam.

when you're giving magic to your pretender and at level four in that magic it allows you to get bless points of which you can spend on blessings which effect your sacred units

it depends on the nation, ermor you can't produce any units the normal way but they come each on your provinces and to get commanders and such you need to cast death magic spells to raise them.

now if you want to take another nation and have them do that, it's kinda a side deal but you wont be raising dead each turn for free, have to cast reanimate each turn but you can automate that

thanks for your gayme homie

FUCK
serves me right for wanting to help people

I didn't but someone is going to please delete soon

is spending points on dominion shit like production worth it ? i always make pretendent dormant so i can pop extra points in it

that heavilly depends on faction. as in if you lack bless units or they are shit then getting these is better then bonuses from bless

so can you name these factions?

no, there are too many of them and its mostly subjective.
Ulm for sure

MA Ulm, Abyssia in all ages, Marignon will definitely want to have atleast 2 production.

Most nations can get by without taking production because you get resources from surrounding provinces, and usually you'll have more than enough to buy the guys you want (personally I find rec points more important now so order/growth are still better than prod)

Just look at the units ahead of time, if you see guys that mainly cost 25+ resources you should take some prod

Yes, especially now
You want order and growth due to the new recruiting mechanics since those directly influence it, production less so

It's very situational. For nations like MA Ulm or LA Atlantis, with top tier heavy infantry that costs over 30 res apiece, you're definitely going to want a point in prod before anything else. On the flip side, every incarnation of Abysia can pump out size two 17 prot tower shield heavy infantry with fire aura and above average stats for 8 resource points apiece, a fraction of the norm.

For necromancers, enchantment is as important as conjuration because it has all the animate dead spells. Conjuration is good for the big bad commanders.

Just read the manual when you are stuck, it's freely available on their website even if you do not own the game. It's not that long winded, except for all the individual descriptive text for each nation. You have to kinda approach this game like a tabletop wargame. When you're confused, read the rulebook.

Ya I fucked up like some manner of double nigger. I apologize for it. Shouldn't happen again unless the fucking sky decides to fall on us. Webm related, it's essentially what happened in hospital.

This was shamelessly stolen from elsewhere while I was getting a hang of how Dominions 5 works compared to Dominions 4. I at least gave it a name I thought was fitting. I swear I will make something a little more original once I get comfortable with this game.

I hope you feel better user, and have a speedy recovery.

Here's the only rainbow bless I've done, with most being beneficial to my Shard Guards but primarily aimed at Sentinel/Granite Golem mass. Also some precision/reinvig for the half-blind mages. Heat scales for points and to protect my best mages who are coldblooded.
Might be worth putting another point into heat or shifting another to magic. My researchers take some infrastructure and the mass Sentinels conjuration requires lv8, and I'll need at least some evocation to stay viable along the way.
How hard is heat/cold scales on non-native units?

How do I get more command points in my capital? I only have 2 but some units cost 4

This is a nerf to Xibalba isn't it? You can no longer make 100 soldiers instantly. Also to gladiators for the same reason.

you get command points for upgrading your castle (which you cant because it is already max level)
also it just means that recruiting takes 2 turns

One last question, how the hell do I use mind slave? Does it have to be a regular human unit?

You can enslave any unit that isn't mindless. It works best when you have a good astral mage spam it and combine it with communion.

The ritual spell, I know there is one that can be used in combat. Aboleths can cast it but when it brings up the list of units to use it on the list is blank.

Still have a Dom4 match up here llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=8eamatch

Not in Dom 4, no.

I forgot to mention that you can make national mages if you make more forts. Though it is 1 mage/turn in every province where you can make mages.

This sounds like a retarded question, but are you sure the ritual spell is also called mind slave? Sounds like you're playing R'lyeh, it has been ages since I touched them but I think their units are all mindless, even their commanders, except for the Starspawn. Try recruiting a shitty regular commander in a random province and using it on him.

You need to use that spell on an Androleth commander and only the Aboleths can cast it on them.
You can only have one androleth to an aboleth at a time, the new Aboleth pretender can also cast it on an Androleth

Sorry I was stupid for not mentioning it. Its R'lyeh EA.

So I can't mind slave a human commander? I have to cast is on another aboleth? Thats misleading.

Fuck I hit reply before finishing, the spell is called mind vessel.

An aboleth has to cast it on an Androleth which is your coastal mage.

it then gets the Aboleths levels in Astral magic

Oh.
Right.

Post your pretenders.

Noob here, I am trying to git gud at playing Jotunheim because I really like the Frostgiants with some blood magic stuff they seem to have. The problem I run into is that I am completely shit at early expanding and designing a pretender, I experimented a bit and I cant get it right. Looking up advice also didnt help because its all written with dom4 in mind where powerful blesses didnt need the god to be awake. Any help?

spam goblins tbh

You dont even need to use a bless for Jotunheim first of all, this is pretty much the case for all giant nations.

the thing that is getting you is that your giants are getting surrounded so do what
said and have some goblins accompany your giants so they dont get harassed as much

I mean a bless to expand

The thing that gets most giant-type SCs and thugs is they have mediocre speed and only one or two attacks. You can be a cool dude with 20 protection but it will only go so far when you are surrounded by guys who will eventually roll high damage and you are doling out 1 attack per turn to their 10 or more. You should focus on providing your giants with either auras that weaken and damage, like the chill aura for example, or giving them more attacks somehow. The attacks part is easier to do with commanders and your god since it's not very hard to make magical weapons that give you more attacks.

How do you know how many attacks a unit has?

They're listed below the stats. Each "weapon" listed is actually one attack. Ranged weapons can't be used in melee but otherwise all melee weapons will be used in a turn. That means a knight with a lance and sword will attack with both. You will also find monstrous units with attack lists like "Claw, Claw, Bite."

I should also mention that there are cheap and effective greater magic items (Construction level 4) which can be made that give your melee attacks AOE elemental effects. Very fucking useful for large sized thugs.

Another question, how do you know how much a thug or SC can take? Is it just a guessing game? I saw that with an SC as your pretender you're meant to be able to expand pretty early, but I don't want to throw my pretender against 20 guys and have him die.

It's fairly simple mathematics once you know how it works. Protection reduces damage taken by that amount. The average human shitter does something like 12 damage. So if you have a pretender with 30 protection and you see an independent colony with militia and other shitters, you're fine to take them on by yourself. The problem is knowing roughly how much damage different unit types can do offhand, that comes from experience.

Is protection flat damage reduction (as in they have to damage above that number to hurt you at all) or is there some minimum a successful hit will do?

It's protection + die roll vs damage + die roll. So if the difference is so great it becomes very unlikely for an attack from some shitter to damage you if your protection is so high.

Abysinians have small peepees

Didn't he asked to be replaced

user please

What do you lads think of this? I made it with broken lances in mind, but I think it may still be doable without them, from the sheer cheapness of it. Discount on hothead, free two-point fire/astral bless and starting paths in all three from hothead make it so incredibly cheap that you can even get pretty good scales and an awake god. Cav are pretty much guaranteed to kill something with lance charge so you're looking at an immediately 21/16 damage/16atk/16def with a high likelihood of chaining it out for ages. Kite shield + armor means they aren't much worried about arrow fire to begin with, and melee has to get through awe, 16def and 18prot to touch them.
You could alternatively go for Twist Fate or Luck with the astral points, I had versatility in mind. +3 MR brings their already nice 12 up to 15, which is pretty fucking great since magic is what expensive cav is most vulnerable to. And magic weapons is incredibly cheap for something that allows you to smash ethereal/invuln.

got patched out today

Looks like a pretty solid build to me user, the only thing I'd do differently is go dormant and take Nature 4 and Magic 1 so your mages are unaging. You could get away with it with just Blood surge being as good as it is, but that is just me.

If I bought and played 4 this year should I buy and play 5, or is this like Tropico where I'm better off skipping?

It looks like the same game at first glance, but there've been fundamental improvements and a lot of changes. If you play MP, things will be a lot different and a lot more active for a while. If you only casually play SP, there's probably not enough novelty to justify the price.

Thanks friend, I can't handle the MP - I wind up thinking about it all day - I'll sit this one out.

Go back to >>/facebook/

Sounds like you need to go back to reddit

This game is so fuckin cheesable with the new bless system. Just get a nation with strong priests and add etherealness and some other damage-nullifying bless like "awe" and you have immortal, unkillable armies

i mean, fuckin seriously

I MEAN FUCKIN SERIOUSLY

There must be a way to counter this.

A small army of sacreds with nothing else will get mulched by an enemy with a few mages and some meatshields.

yeah but grandmasters are level 2 or 3 priests with 3 points invested in astral and fire (usually)

Presuming he's running etherealness and awe, evocation artillery with mindless chaff is the best way to take them down.
The mindless chaff will hold them down and still get all their attacks in, while the evocations nuke them because last i checked knights of the chalice have

Etherealness, awe, and a grandmaster aren't going to keep your knights from getting oneshot by Thunderstrike or Gifts From Heaven. Or getting mindblasted by Illithids. Or getting bogged down by chaff and knocked unconscious by Curse of Stones.

Cheesing the AI is pretty easy, yeah. But against other players it doesn't work so well.

Has anyone tried playing cracked in multiplayer? I keep having issues resolving turns with the server, both in dom4 and dom5.

The nation he is fighting (Asphodel) if it was being played by a human and not an AI would utterly defeat such a bless; and I'll explain why.
Asphodel at it's core relies on it's undead carrion beasts which all have magical sleep weapons (Magic weapons ignore Ethereal) and since they're undead and mindless they're unaffected by awe; add in the fact that they get some water magic and the old trick of Rain will make Marignons time a little harder with their fire magic and flaming arrows. Not to mention plentiful tramplers which will ignore ethereal and awe 100%

Though regardless of that it is still a tough defensive bless to beat, Asphodel just would have an easier time than some because it could more quickly mount a counter attack than most nations, (time is also an issue when it comes to a nations relative power, especially where the new bless system is concerned)

you know what would be cool? not la chinks mongol faction with Genghis as pretender.

I've played cracked Dominions 3 in multiplayer, worked well enough. I suspect that there might be some flaw in the crack, or that developers had some cunning plan regarding piracy and cracks.

I just realized how badly I have fucked up regarding my pretender in the current middle-age game

That would be pretty fucking rad. However I think the game balance would end up shitting the bed fairly badly if totally-not-mongolian horse-archers had that "keep the distance" order.

that nigger race has short bow spider riders and they're not op what so ever tbh

caelum exists and balance is fine

where da games at

battlefields would have to be about 3x+ larger before you could even start thinking about bow kiting

The ai fucking sucks in this game
The only way to win against it is to rush thrones before it realizes what's going on and starts cheating by spawning hundreds of enemies out of thin air every turn. I even tried one of the cheese strategies and while sieging the ai's ONLY FORT i somehow got hit with an out-of-province army with >100 troops for like 10 turns until they defeted me

*a >100 unit army EVERY TURN for 10 turns

well thats what conjuration does.

Literally LA Tien'Chien

Wew I just tried this out and I didnt think it would help this much, first 12 turns are done and I got 20 Provinces and a new fort halfway done even though I fucked up and forgot recruiting for 1 turn. The map around me is pretty shit though, no gold and the population is so low if I do a blood hunt I might accidentaly genocide the entire population. Also is it normal that if I were to only recruit garmhirding + commander I can get over 40 gobbos every turn?

also, any tips on the pretender and what kinda research to go for? If not then Im just gonna experiment with blood magic until I probably accidentaly destroy the world.

gobos are love gobos are live

learn to read nigga

going water and then casting illwinter is better tbh. it fucks over everyone but you

just read the description, seems interesting, would probably have to boost a skratti a lot, any chance of the Rimtursar actually waking up if it stays up long enough? What are the Rimtursar even? giant giants?

I would expect a player with 1 fort to throw all of their gem resources at me in the form of summons. Having said that, I think it is actually known that the AI cheats with extra resources on every level above Normal. Not sure if you're playing 5 or not but I heard the AI is better, I have not personally played enough to be a good judge.

Oh, I see. Yeah you were probably playing on a level above normal then.

just made my first thug, opinions?
i know, is shit, but is still a cozy feeling to conquer a region with just one commander
also, Marignon is op but i fucked with my blessings, that's what i get for using a rainbow pretender

Breddy gud, you should use his high world map movement (wings) to bounce around provinces and attack undefended ones, divert armies, pick off weak commanders. Be wary of illusory shit like the Vanir get, armies may not be the size they appear to be.

and with this, i'm off, Man is reduced to few provinces, her pretender already died two times by my hand

Just use OBS to record, it's free.

Admin pls, do you know how to set someone AI?

It has an interesting description, but it's pretty underwhelming. Makes the world colder. Rimtursar don't wake up and aren't even actual units - at least in Dom4. I don't think it's been changed though.

Good first attempt, little too expensive for a thug though. I'd drop the shoes, the armor, and the shield (don't really need extra protection and +1 awe when your angel already has innate invuln and awe). If possible replace the shield with a Vine Shield.

One key part of being a thug is it's low gem cost. How many gems did you spend on it?

yeah, sorry about that, i forgot to disable the recording from my mic those Webms are also an excuse to get the hang of making them, so i can hopefully post some OC in the Webms threads, and also to bump this thread

one of the advantages of having a rainbow pretender is that you end up with shitloads of gems if you use it to search magical places, so the cost wasn't an issue, i would say i've spent about 30 various gems (plus 30 astral to summon the Harbinger), the problem are the mages, Marignon has good Fire and Astral, Air too with harbingers, but the rest it must rely on indepedents, i got lucky and found a magic academy and a region with illythids and got a water shaman from there, plus a couple of nature shamans, but for the good stuff you have to empower them or give them items that give a bonus to their magics.
in the end, i just wanted to fill every item spot of the thug with the best i could produce at the time, Vine shield and Boots of readiness would be cool, but for now my thug fill is purpose pretty good, harassing, conquering provinces with small garissons and being a general annoyance

30 is a bit on the expensive end, are you using the Dwarvern hammer to reduce costs?
I'd say that if you aren't able to mass produce this unit, it would be more on the SC side than a thug.

Playing EA C'tis for the first time. Holy shit these guys steamroll early game. I can see why they are recommended to new players.

Well does Illwinter atleast get the wolf attacks that are stated or is cold all there is to it?
Also what should I go for in my pretender, I always get regeneration as bless because 10% of giant hp is a lot and skratti get 20%, dont know what else to take though, protection for the low prot units? Blood vengeance to fuck over mages or archers that always seem to be the best counter to my giants?

Is it worthwhile to get the independent sacreds like jade maidens or is it a waste of money?

Depends, some of them are unique and come from magic sites and can be quite powerful. I'm not too sure about all the regular units except when you need a way to expand underwater, but there are a ton of useful cheap mages and commanders. Good example is Adept of the Silver Order, mage with significant air and astral (like 3 in each path I think), costs 4 CP though so you will need to build a fort there if you want to recruit at a reasonable rate.

It's fucking great wrecking mythology's ass with nothing but sharp weapons and a love for Iron. How do I deal with casters as Ulm MA? They fuck up my shit. Best so far I've come up with, besides flooding them with rear-attacking cavalry, is making cavalry commanders with magic resistance equipment (the lodestone and lead shield)

If it says there are wolf attacks I'd imagine those happen. The only time I've actually seen the spell cast is once when I used it against the AI, so I'm not sure on the specifics of the spell other than that you don't get any Rimtursar.

Use your own mages to buff your troops so they can hold the line better, while your other mages throw blade winds and kill people with magma. And if you can make it to the late game, summon these motherfuckers and turn them into anti-mage supercombatants.

wew

but machaka's casters are their greatest flaw
for MA anyway

they do get wolf attacks.

i still think that EA Ur is best beginners faction

only meme faction is therodos

What about Niefelhiem? Isn't that a meme faction too?

Well…I just suffered a most humiliating defeat.

After taking out all other pretenders, only me and another one were left.
I held more than half the map, had heroes decked out with gear, global enchanments and mighty armies.
The next turn I lost.
In all that conquering I forgot to look at my dominion. Apparently, the last pretender dumped all his points into dominion and took the entire map.

So don't forget to build temples and have priest preach.

user this strat may have been too radical

8chmiddleage game is the stalest PBEM I have played in my history of playing Dominions.

you haven't played many pbem's then

At least it's picking up now.

No I haven't. I usually only play the ones here.

Niefelheim is playable tho.

Therodos is still playable, they were unnerfed in dom5, and were always ok. What happened was in Dom 4 on the desyra forums some retards complained that therodos's sacreds were op and demanded a limit on them. This ruined the nation until mods helped smooth it over, now it's back to it's pretty Nerf strength which is actually pretty decent, but by no means op. They'll want a good bless for sure, and you'll want to focus on buff spells for your ghosts and sacreds. You also have access to the best summon in the game and can natively make elemental staffs

Therodos has quite the steamroll potential with eteheral undead and bless units indeed.
How do you best counter that?

same way you counter any other undead faction. spam priests

this
alternatively;
alternatively;
I've seen people dismissing dropping points in magic weapons, but considering how many hand-rubbing schemes involve ethereal or invuln, it seems like a no-brainer for adaptability if you can spare it.

Always wanted to check this shit out.
Uh…

Im just surprised a game that looks like this can tank my FPS so much.

give DF a try

As this one guy said it's always worth it to take magic weapons, because it's so cheap. Just an FYI but the effect of other "weapon" effects is attached to the damage of the attack so you still have to hit with them, otherwise the attack is considered mundane unless it's magic by default or you take magic weapons. The other main problem Therodos will face is that it's a living faction with pop kill, and eventually will lose out on upkeep and will need to figure out how to deal with it as the game goes on, but besides that your mages are all sacred and have really great paths and cross paths and you have access to late age tier units in your therodian hoplites which are strong in their own right

I like this already.

I mean, you could say you want an awake expander (lol) or a rainbow for diversity, but it's hard to argue ever NOT taking Uttervast.

you're the only one here willing to kill the thread to satisfy your Holla Forums ego, fuck off and die.

Can't you just teleport them around?

What does disliking Discord have to do with Holla Forums?

these two are obviously goon agents trying to derail our bread and stop anons from breaking into a niche game they favor, pls ignore

Anyone interested in blitzing we're doing a game on the discord

discord.gg/D6HhNfn

A blitz is meant to just be a quick game, but you can gain some valuable experience and have fun with us there!

Fuck off cuckchan refugee and by the way goon means the faggots from S.A, dont use words you dont know their meaning newfag

I specifically referred to SA's established Dominions community in that post, user. How can you fail to absorb such a short and concise post?
A brainlet like you doesn't deserve any more of my (you)s.

Seems legit.

Are you racist against the undead or something?
Just because they are unnatural abominations forced into a semblance of life by a perversion of magic doesn't mean that they are evil.
Maybe you need to check your vitae-priveleges.and stop oppressing the formerly alive with your necrophibia.

Are you racist against Necromancers or something?
Just because they call upon the souls of the dead to force them into eternal servitude and suffering doesnt mean that their magic is non natural or as you say "a perversion"
Mayybe you need to check your necro-privileges and stop oppressing the users and abusers of necromany with your necromantophobia.

Thanks for telling us how all the undead feel on their behalf. Where would we all be without your arrogant livesplaining?

Stop using that term you fucking bigot, they prefer to be called "Living impaired".

That phrasing draws focus to their disability. "Persons who are impaired of living" is more sensitive.

Nation of giant skeletons when

In dominions 4 with the nation generator you could have Hobbits riding giant skeletons as mounts into battle.

Undead are a scourge that must be wiped clean from the earth.

thank you faggots for introducing me to these games, I had a lot of fun with dom4 and I really like these bless changes in 5

Jews get sacred giant skeletons in MA, and shittier ones in LA

best thing you can do with this game if you know what you are doing is to make a detailed text let's play with a lot of screen shots and post it on here.

the thing that happens in this type of game is that there is usually one or two autists who know the ins and outs of the intricacies of how stats/spells/blesses/gems work with each other and the rest of the people in the mp game are just fucking around/learning the ropes and get trampled.

Any verdict on if its better than Dom4 yet?
Or is it a good time to wait for balance changes?

Tien Chi op, pls nerf

I'd say that it's better than Dominions 4, but then again, I didn't play Dominions 4 all that much. Formations do matter now though.

Hydras are probably the most fun unit in the game, but well, Hydras are a two sided blade.

Yes. The changes to combat through simultaneous turns and casting overhaul as well as the rework of forts and recruitment an above all blesses make it better than Dom 4.
That's up to you. The above mentioned changes went a long way towards balancing the game. It's much harder to stack major blesses for a bless rush strategy since most of those major blesses require an awake and active pretender. Zerg swarm nations like EA xibalba have a harder time stacking a million bats to be on your capital by turn 2 thanks to the recruitment point system. People have more incentive to upgrade their forts from palisades now since the level of fort is related to the number of commander points you have available, so shitting out palisades left and right is not always the most efficient. Citadels can even recruit 1.5 commanders per turn, but only some nations, usually human nations, can build them.
Some nations did get the short end of the stick though. I think Lemuria is in an even worse position even though they even got a few personal tweaks to make them more relevant. Ghosts are still shredded by any old asshole with a magic weapon and with the changes to the blessings, magic weapons are now even easier to obtain; it's only takes a pretender with 4 astral and they don't even have to be alive for your sacreds to benefit. Unholy re-animating nations like Scleraria also got hit hard too as indie-priests can't raise the dead any more so those nations can't go bonkers with the summoning any more. All in all in all, the game actually feels a lot more balanced than dom4 did. Strong nations were curbed just a bit and weaker nations got a few perks to bring them up a bit. There's still some balancing that needs done, like the fire explosion bless that turns all your sacreds into bombs being obnoxiously powerful, but so far as I've played the game feels like it's in a better position than it was in Dom4.

I'm new and playing LA Atlantis in a non-8ch game. LA R'lyeh is the only UW nation and also very close to my capital and already spreading its nigger dom. I have decent rainbow bless on my sacreds including +3 MR. Should I try to rush him, or just temple spam? I know their astral mages are a pain in the ass in later game.
I've been debating hitting conj 3 and sending a bunch of tungas summon lesser water eles + massed indie mermen (12 MR) + sacreds/the few armored troops I've produced to rush his cap before year one's done since he probably took a dormant Uttermeme.

LA R'lyeh only gets more difficult to deal with as time goes on. Hit him hard while he doesn't have anything to defend himself with and be sure you can route behind his main force to get to his commanders. As Atlantis you're one of the best equip nations to deal with his bullshit, especially if you can get a foothold underwater. If his cancer has spread far enough, an under water fort will let you recruit void sane units to help push his shit in. His troops are worthless, It's his commanders you have to worry about and if you hit him hard early enough they won't matter that much either. The uttermeme is exactly that, a meme, if he ever tries throwing that at you, start shitting out undead. Similarly if he gets on land, consider investing in enchantment for undead spam since most of R'lyeh's bullshit doesn't do anything to mindless/inanimate units and skelebros have both in abundance. Your national tupilak spell is also a great way to remote assassinate his commanders since lifedrain, mindburn. and soul slay will do fuckall to a giant amphibious flying mindless undead bear.

Lemuria's position isn't better from Dom4, first off all of the spectral weapons are now magic resist for half instead of totally negated so they can actually do damage in the era where everyone has above average MR. They also get sacred troops finally, and the changes to immortality means they can do more potent guerilla mage tactics without any of the risks.

The only thing that brings them down as you said is the cheap magic weapons on sacreds, but hey everyone needs something to keep them in check. Also indie priests can reanimate spirits and shadows for Lemuria

As for Sceleria being nerfed, that's BS they're actually stronger than before, they can build up to Citadels and castles still and get 2 commander points a turn, their priests which are cheaper than indie priests are 1point.

Ergo you can recruit 2 priests a turn to reanimate, that are cheaper, and they'll be in a fort at first instead of out in the open that doesn't sound like a nerf to me in the slightest. You can argue that they can't rush in as fast as possible, but their position is still very defensible and it can still snowball if they're not dealt with, and that's not even taking into consideration their already good sacreds and the new blesses

I did say lemuria got some personal tweaks which helped it out, but spectral weapons being shit was only part of their problem and not even their biggest problem. I always found their biggest problem was any magic weapon cleaved right through their ghosts like they were tissue paper since they have no native protection, they only got by on their etherealness. They're better at killing dudes, but they still have all the weaknesses of undead with the added malus of getting steamrolled by magic weapons which skeletons don't have an issue with.
These are worse than worthless. Since your ghost soldiers do not have unroutable morale, these are just fodder to gum up your useful units and cause an early retreat because your army took too much damage sending spirits into a meat grinder.

You have a considerably higher upfront gold cost to make the fort and the temple, you have to wait six turns to make the palisades in the first place, another few turns and a chunk more gold to turn that palisades into a fortress, more to turn that fortress into a castle, then you have to cart an architect over to that castle to turn it into a citadel which cost even more turns and more gold just to get 1.5 priests out of the province per turn. With that much money and that many turns, I could have had several more temples shitting out indie priests to summon longdead every turn. If I need them in a more defensible position, I'll just move them into a fort before I put them on longdead duty for the rest of the game. The argument isn't that you can't rush as fast, it's that you can't rush at all. That sounds like a pretty heavy nerf to me.

2 priests, but that's still shit when you could have had 8 temples shitting out dudes with the time and turns it cost to build that citadel.

Further correction after looking at it myself.
They can't even make citadels.

I meant to say isn't better or worse*
But Lemuria has been shown a lot of love, I forgot to mention that in any province with a lab has a chance to free spawn mages so you dont need to rely on revenants to research anymore. (Research was one of the main weaknesses for Lemuria in dom4, so they're actually up to snuff now)

I'd argue still that Sceleria isn't nerfed at all, and just as strong and more cost effective in this new way.
If you have 8 temples thats 3200 gold and would require a total of 16 turns to build them all (assuming 1 priest moving from province to province) as opposed to one scout and priest building up a palisades in 4 turns for 1000.
I know you can't begin recruitment right away, but then another 2 turns and 300 gold on top of that gets you to 2 priests a turn (while you'd had presumably recruited 2 a turn before that. Having those temples up without a fort is also a costly risk, and they're easily destroyed by smaller armies and Thugs.
Also Shadows and spirits are not useless at all, they've always absorbed banishment blows and the paralysis is useful

The main change I liked about Lemuria is changing their lower tier mages to not be immortal so they can actually be reasonably priced now. IIRC, it's still more efficient to just make revenants though. It's also still a pain in the ass that your starting mage doesn't even have enough death to summon the next higher tier mage without empowering him or starting with an awake death pretender.

They also made magic scales not screw you over in your own dominion by tanking your units magic defense. That helps against banish spam a little bit, but banish spam is still going to eviscerate your army. I just wish they would let the unholy nations have access to the priest spell addition. It's really lame that they don't.

More like 8 turns or less since it would just be inefficient to have one dude going and making them all. And the example would cost almost twice the gold, but you also get 4 times the priest output and when you're talking exponential growth on skeletons that's huge. It's a gap that widens by an additional 18 skeletons per turn, i.e. after 6 turns the multiple temples are making 108 more units per turn than the singe fort and temple and that gap just keeps growing. After 1 year your single fort and temple is making 72 skeletons a turn while 8 temples would be making 288. At that point it takes 4 turns for that fort/temple to make what the multiple temples made in just one turn.
Yeah it's risky but only early on but if you can get the skeleton factory online quick enough, that risk evaporates. Once you start nearing critical mass no thug is going to want to touch those provinces. Nothing short of a massive priest stack is going to even approach your territory. It was always about how quickly you could reach critical mass, and the changes to sclearia slowed it way the fuck down, possibly to the point that the strategy is no longer viable.

As long as they dont retreat on you they're great.

I guess flanking and ordering them to attack the rearmost enemies would fix that. They either fight and kill enemies or they will flee and hopefully end up killing more enemies than friendlies while fleeing.

It's probably foolishness to attempt a cap rush in the first year, though I haven't scouted his forces yet. One of his UW cap ring provinces puts me at a huge disadvantage as it connects to 4 coast provinces I would want and an underwater one, some of them in my cap ring, and he otherwise has to detour to get at me without it. I think I'll try to grab it, patrol it and spike PD while I preach and build a temple/lab, then use it as my new research center so my Tungalik can defend it while still being useful. I'll drop my first fort there and start pumping out anti-insanity dudes.
He's also yet to take it, which I'll take as good portent of his expansion skills.

how do i join a game?

Is it possible to use cheats in this game? I want to try out some spells without having to wait 50+years until the research is complete.

Set research difficulty to easy then

I don't get why I cannot have entire squads stay back like bodyguards indefinitely. I understand that the "guard commander" also involves assassination mechanics, but why exclude an order that does the same thing on the battlefield?

Specifically, I want all my troops to stay back and let the mages throw all their AoE nonsense at the enemy.

Is it to avoid stalemates?

Yes, i'm fairly certain it's done because of balance reasons. Kind of like how units can't target the rearmost enemies with their ranged attacks.

8chmiddleage Abysia

You almost would had staled had I not set the clock back, please do your turn as you were literally half an hour until hosting when I checked it this morning

do your turns

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

What nation do I go with in a challange where I cannot recruit any units? Spells and random events only.

I'm thinking Bogarus with the many summonable commanders, as well as the early seducer.

What does seduction even do? Does it turn enemy units against their former masters or what?

You get to try and steal commanders.

Any tips for therodos?

Get an awake telekhine nigger and go rush the nearest motherfucker's cap while spreading ick everywhere, or settle in for a bless and use your little dwarves dudes to thug out melias or summon shit and thug them out and never spend a dime on troops.

Or you can try to turtle and then shit out telekhines by the end of the game, but as your economy is slowly dying, I don't recommend that.

That's Ermor and Lemuria's entire gimmick (plus spooky undead)

Looking for 2 more players: llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=maNoStalesPls

Which game? 4?

How do you win?
What's your favourite strategy?
Do you like to smash the enemy in fights?
Harass economy?
Use late game spells?

spam medium infantry, have a strong defense lines you can fall back to, using a fuckton of province defenses as distraction and as source of atrition and trying to domkill enemy

Dominions 4.10 works for sure if you change the key file to something random.
Revolt released a new cracked version of 5.06 that's supposed to fix multiplayer just now, but I had trouble running it in multiplayer myself.

Guys, guys guys. What if

What if

What if you created pretender for Pythium that gave regeneration, quickness and major poison resistance to blessed units? That way you would have cheap as fuck infantry that had defense skill of 18, and that could viably fix themselves over time when they eventually get hit. However, I am not sure what would happen once they got a bad roll after they would get poisoned by hydras. Surely they can't regenerate while they are poisoned?

even better idea

Wouldn't it be better to just go rainbow and use a bunch of sacred, flying summons?

Do those effects really stack?

yes. you can get +10 precision on your mongols
except that high precision means that they shoot exactly at a square where enemy is at a given moment, so they miss 100% of the time when they are on the move, but hit 100 when enemy is held in combat
i hope they fucking fix it

what's more disgusting then glamour and mind blast? charged body and blood bond as well

I just tried beast bats with Death Explosion and Blood Vengeance. It's really effective until one bat gets hit by an arrow and the whole squad blows up. Gonna see if I can make a viable build while spending more points for fire resistance.

Except that's easymode and no fun.

you could do some kinda clockwork army only, just a good earth mage and research

but that way is easier, avaiable since turn 1 and doesnt need magic gems.

i am thinking about making mongol/central asian nomads faction for middle ages to get better at spriting. any ideas on what should be there? so far i am thinking:

I don't know if it'd work or not because the game mechanics don't really operate for provinceless nations, I guess it's possible but wouldn't have the same feel ya'know? unless you can somehow make moving lesser palisades as well as temples and labs

I'd go with nature. The supply bonus nature mages get seems like it'd be highly valued by nomadic people.

How about a commander with tax collector and otherwise only shit forts and maybe discounted labs/temples?

please tell me this is a real nation

its from dom4, not ported yet. same as pic related

that would be interesting tbh

at this moment i think about spliting them into yellow shaman with air, nature and astral and black shaman with air, death and ???

Its the clown nation, its a mod.

That looks cool, love the Buddha and the floating monks.

Anyone else look for other good folk/medieval songs to listen to while playing this game since the new soundtrack is rather lackluster? Post your favorite songs to play Dominions to. Here's the version of Astra Tenenti as sung in the original play (it was originally composed for a play). Those of you who have played Dom 4 and previous will recognize this.

This is my 1250's station I listen to when I play M&B. It still needs work. Inappropriate songs slip in now and then, but it's pretty medieval overall.
pandora.com/station/play/3351895222399846547

I have other stations for different time periods, but this one is heaviest on Alfonso's cantigas.

Nice. I found a great playlist on YouTube a day or two ago while looking for other songs by the same artists who made the soundtrack for Dom 4. Here's another one I like a lot.

This song comes up often on many of my medieval stations. I think this is from their Italian hymns. Some are really good actually.

Not the most original answer, it crops up in half the webm threads after all, but this one is a great piece of mood music, being the medieval equivalent of pop music after all.

For other ideas, check out bands like Schelmish, Corvus Corax amd In Extremo. They are part of a german movement og medieval music. Mostly bagpipes not the scottish kind and drums.

Official yomi theme

New update

I don't know how vulnerable I actually am since blessed stoneskin Dai Onis are still pretty fierce, but I definitely think I'd be fucked if a strong early nation was applying pressure

Going for a great sage in dom4 was always my choice to get early research down, it is still probably a good idea all things considered . Take advantage of your forest recruit witches and skeleton spam for defense early on, it's worth it to upgrade your witches to their 2nd form for more skeleton pressure along with your oni generals, until you can get end of culture. Dai oni are impressively strong but they won't be everything, also if you really plan on going heavy with sc's take the magic resistance blesses and regen

Whenever I play as eagle kings I have this on repeat.

A holy war has cause for a crusading song, because God wills it.

I took the war statue for constant research + freespawn barbs since I wouldn't be able to afford much army, and awe/recup for blesses. Surprised how many barbs it is with 3 turmoil. I've gotten anywhere from 1 to 20+, probably averaging 10/turn.
Won't EoC make me a target? I've been largely left alone so far and letting other rushing players draw aggro. I'd been planning alt 3, const 4 (6?), alt 7 (for earthpower/phoenix pyre/soul vortex Dai Onis), but EoC is thaum 6.

I'm extending 8chmiddleage

5.07 has a bug where Undead troops require supplies, and will starve to death, and living troops no longer require supplies.

It should be hot fixed, but for now just take it easy, the game is extended by 24 hours.

Fucking hilarious bug, but at the same time, it's gonna delay games.

spam goblins tbh.

Succuby can't seduce female commanders? Aren't succuby supernatural in their approach (magic lust)?

what's the point if you don't get any semen out of it?

there are other kinds of fluids, an0n.

Silly user, its a Succubus, not a vampire.

Anyone know what the cause of this bug is?

Last I checked my neighboring Jotunheim troops were suffering from starvation.

Literal starving skeletons.

Sounds like some kind of black magic curse. Next time, try clearing your cache.

fucking lizards and diseases fucking me over on the east

I guess that's one of playing them.
I expected "wings + bows" faggotry to be the best shit ever, but they only have two archers. The first can't hit for shit and when it hits, it can't deal damage to anything tougher than a puppy with terminal cancer. The second archer is really good… but has no fucking wings.

My plan right now consists of raiding shit to keep'em busy, pillage money for my stuff, drop temples to cool down stuff and let my army slowly (VERY SLOWLY) build up.
Is there a spell to change the Heat Scales in a remote province? I've seen one to change a province to Sloth 3. Would be great if I could flash-freeze a province and get a major advantage when invading.

Speaking of which: any nice spell I missed with Caelum? They seem pretty straight forward with their immunity to Storms: just call one, get everything that synergies with storms well and go to town. There's even a spell to cast a permanent storm all over the world too.
Do they have good summons worth a damn?
I'm still at conjuration 4 on this game and the best thing so far was griffons. Yeah.
Also tried ravens/eegles. Funny, but not much else.

Also, I could use someone explaining how the magic gems work in battle.
I knew this shit a long time ago (when I played Dom 4 about 2 years ago) but forgot it in the meantime.
I just noticed that my air mages pretty much win battles as long as I give'em the gems.
And if they run out, the battle ends up costing me half my army on a win, the entire army on a loss.
For now, I'm treating it like a bad meth addiction: if anyone has a path in magic and is out of the lab, he gets 5 gems of each patch.

I'm pretty sure it also affects the "Horror Mark" spell. My Pretender has that spell and it's fucking hilarious. I gave him 10 astral gems and scripted him to horror mark 5 times.
I think it's the gems that helped him hit all 5 or something, but it works like a cham:
I can already tell the AI ain't getting out of this one.

That was because of your aids dominion killing the supply levels around your capital. You will be removed. Also, just a few were starvingFor turn 15 I could see that my guys weren't using supplies.

They have few nation specific summons, but I didn't tried them out yet.
These written in dark blue color.

Magic gems allow to cast spells, which need them to be casted.
You can see spell costs on magic research screen with clicking with left mouse button on research path.

if you have problems with early expansion with caelum, and you will have them since their units are trash, get mammoths.
archer spam is the best
you will want at least con3 for call of the winds. dropping 2milions birds on one unsuspecting province is irritating and allows for interesting tricks
and yes there is a spell for lowering temperature. also your dominion lowers it and you have stealthy flying preachers
remember to go for construction 2 to get owl quills

Bee there done that. Everyone is pluckig their ow feathers for that +314 RP
But the some random heroe from Caelum joined and had a death path.
I got a bit sad comparig them with that Metor Skull Sure it's 10D gems but it's double the RP bonus. I wanted to play Ice/Air and not get corrupted with death/blood but this is starting to remind me of an Abyssa game I had where I didn't want Blood magic but ended up using it to heal my Pretender wounds, discovered how great it is and started using it to great effect all over the place.
Of course you then discover that thinking like that was the downfall of Abyssa and go "Oh. Well, shit."

Call of the winds rarely works for me. Unless I mass-spam it on the same turn. 7-8 mages casting it will net me a province but cost me a truckload of gems. It's not like the imprint souls of R'lyeh where I can get 30 guys to cast it in 30 provinces and suddendly the whole world goes mad (while giving you priests everywhere that can build temples and exploded your dominion).
I rechead Thaumaturgy 7 and Evocation 6, so now I'm gonna have fun with the stealth preachers + permanent storms + dark skies.
Not sure how big the moral hit on the enemy is, but I saw a -5 somewhere and I finnaly realize why people tell e investing in fear tactics works so great for Caelum.
Too bad most of fear is either from Horror (I ain't fucking with that shit again) and Death.
I'll remain pure with my owl bro's in my mountains and rain ice and thunder on the unbelivers, thank you very much.

What does starvation effect even do? It's not explained in the manual. What penalties does it give? I was thinking that it might be pretty neat to make a -3 supply -+3 temperature dominion and make everyone suffer horribly in the next game.

it gives them -4 to strength, defense, morale

it also makes them more susceptible to disease which will drain their health till death

Anyway the new patch fixed the bug so 8chmiddleagegame is back on

Well shit, I know what I'm going to play as.

whats the context on this video?

What is your favorite nation, and why? What is the strongest nation and why. I want to git gud.

if there was a strongest nation it'd be a shit game
the strongest nations often get ganged up on
a strong early rushing elf might earn a dick in every hole while a more modest, just-decent nation is left to develop in peace and come out strong in the mid-late game
pretender paths, hero RNG and indy units can open new strats for any nation
diplo is huge and a master kike might win with a truly shit nation through deception alone, though he probably won't
occasionally a nation is just unplayable but most are viable to some degree
I like LAtlantis for the ice aesthetic and themes, those frogs are some survivors

LA game with mods starting
including the new worthy heroes and better arena

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MerryMurdergoround

Trying to tweak a nationgen'd nation of frogmen, the sprite ideas and magic paths gave me the idea of making them turtlemen considering how similar they look. First attempt at adding a shell to an existing sprite. Turtleman, finman, or frogman carrying a heap of shit on his back to you?

Looks like a backpack frog to me. The back shell extends outwards too far, and doesn't reach low enough for a guac man, could also be improved by giving it a beak, extending the toes into claws, and adding some line work on his body armor to more mimic a shell bottom.

Are those "turtlemen" going to be adolescent, genetic aberrations with a penchant for clandestine actions and assassinations?

get yourself some dungeonsynth my man

so anons, what does your research cave looks like?
How many researchers do you tipically use?
Research boosters?
I seem to always get 5 researchers in the first year and slowly increase it to 10 over the next year (in between hiring priests/commanders) and finnaly end up with 15 when I get shit to lvl 6.
I usually average 300 RP after 15 turns or so. Is that a lot or not enough?
Also: Magic scale affects RP. Does it do it per province or per researchere? Cause +2RP with 15 guys equals 30 research and that doesn't seem like such a great bonus for 80 design points. Does the scale affect anything else?

I play SP and its ease allows me to roleplay my games a bit. When I conquer an area I draft one mundane commander and some soldiers for him and set him to patrol for shits and giggles then one or two native mages and set them to research.

Each mage gets a +1 bonus to research per magic scale (or penalty if drain). At Magic 2, everything has reduced magic resistance by 1 point, at Drain 2 everything gains magic resistance by 1 point.

To answer your question though, I always try to make a mage a turn and then in my expansion fort a mage a turn as well if I dont need anything else; if I have air magic I'll always go straight for construction 2 to get owl quills and dwarven hammers and start churning out the quills for my lab rats, and if I have death I wait a little longer but getting con 4, for the skull mentors is absolutely necessary to keep up.

Magic is what makes you win battles more so than anything

What is the best nation throughout all ages and why is it R'lyeh?

Is that still the case for dom5?

most epic troll ex dee nation, maybe

ABYSIA YOU FUCKING NIGGER

Abysia you son of a thousand rodents, did you end up burning your magic rock-device that was supposed to give you your turn?

Say that to my 50 x Imprint Souls motherfucker, not on the surface but on the ocean and see what happens.
Don't forget their National Spell, Dreams of R'lyeh.
As soon as you see that Eyes of God going up, say goodbye to any comander that carries an item, has a level or pretty so much as gets near the shore.
I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my astral gems.

>Try to counter Eyes of God with that faggoty spell that blinds the caster.
>When half my pretenders don't even have eyes.
>Try to dispell it after I cast Nexus of Power.

Forgot my pic.
Yes, this is the pinnnacle of munchkinnery.
Someone should actually do the navy seals copy pasta for Rl'yeh, I'd do it but I'm too busy flaying minds.

More reason to use Golems as my standard thugs I see.

Pick the Uttervast.
That's what, 0.5% of actually landing a damaging attack? You'll die first from the damage reversal at any rate.
Checkmate, Cthulhu wins.

gee user, how do I into a 14-point bless in one path?

Cheats :^)
There's a couple artifacts you can get to give you luck. And Fools Luck is even better for the Uttervast.

Will Abysia stale 6 turns in a row?

If he does I'll just have him replaced

Next OP ought to put this in the opening post, it's a fairly compact FAQ with all the necessary information regarding PBEM-games.

forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160