ITT game mechanics that will always get you to try a game, no matter how trash the rest seems

ITT game mechanics that will always get you to try a game, no matter how trash the rest seems.
Always get me to pick up a game. Also recommend anons good games with their favorite mechanics.

My nigger. I even played Singularity (shit) and that new Heroes game (good god it's shit) because they involve some kind of time-stopping mechanic.

That said, the timestop in Dishonored and Dishonored 2 is fun as fuck. Occasionally I'll load one of them up, slap on a trainer, and just infinite timestop through the game like a goddamn temporal god.

This post alone has me itching to run D2 again.

It's always satisfying to get god items are the end of games. MGS was very good at doing this

The ability to sneak past an entire level without touching anyone is a true test of skill. Try not to touch anything, leave any evidence, hurt anyone, get spotted, just a clean in and out.

user you have to admit, dishonored has a really good time stop mechanic. You can catch bullets out of the air, it's pretty neat.

Muskets. Muskets get my dick absolutely diamonds.

You should try nioh. It has some pretty fun matchlocks.

Dick status: muh

Adding on to this

Combinable/stackable magical skills, especially if you can play multiplayer and cast spells into the same spot to combine them. The first time I accidentally did that in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles multiplayer I nearly came.
LostMagic was far from perfect, but it sure as fuck deserved a real sequel. Some refining, and it could have become a perfect game.
I'm going to be buying Nine Parchments the day it releases just because you can do this shit.

Being able to shoulder tackle, ram or charge directly into enemies and turn them into mush

I used to like that but I got bored of the endless waiting you have to be subjected to in many games not prepared to be fully ghostable

That's like the most boring way to play any game ever.

They're stealth games for a reason. It really depends on the game.

wrong

This, it might as well be a walking simulator, if you get spotted or fuck up you'll just reload the save/level. The only variation that might come into it is if there's tools to help you like in the Thief games.

Top this off with shitty AI and the fact no game seems to balance AI's ability to see you well and this shit is only fun to autists, they're probably the same people who find masturbating while hidden in public arousing.

or literally every stealth game ever made.

I'll take you onto this challenge

The ability to make your own spells and potions. Only limited by how much money you have.

What games?

TES oblivion comes to mind

This right here.
I fucking love time travel. Which was why I bought LiS. I know it had a somewhat-poorly written story, but that was my first game I played that wasn't a Valve game.

The only reason that got me to buy was the rewinding shit. Nothing else.

Neck yourself you stupid nigger. It's not even worth pirating.

Flexible character creator

God Hand for the rematch thing
Metal Gear Online and various sports titles (fucking Inazuma I swear) for the everyone playable
Soul Calibur 5, Graffiti Kingdom and Sonic Battle for the customization
Most Smash Bros toolkits for the moddability

Second Sight and PsiOps come to mind.

I just meant that all these years I've been playing Valve games. That would mean that I'd be sticking with one particular taste.

how? You never played anything that wasn't published by valve?

It's an awful genre. Styx is the only good stealth game I've ever played. You can add Dishonored to that if you think it counts since it technically is a ""stealth"" game but it's only fun if you play it as a brawler instead.

I played cs or tf2. Then when the time comes I'd just buy HL or Portal and play them.

I was dogmatic back then. Whenever I saw gaming videos, many people down in the comments were praising how great Half Life and how great Valve was. That's how I stuck to thinking that Valve games are life. Now I've come to playing games made by other publishers, and it's nice to play something different.

Platformers are just walking simulators with jumping.

When did you first start playing games, and how old were you?

how long did you keep that up user?

What games.

Check out Underrail, you can make a psy build.

If it makes you feel better I bought Ghost Recon Wildlands just because I had fun with it for a few hours, last AAA I'll ever buy but at least I experienced how trash this industry has become.

Considering that you can mod HL and TF2(before Valve shoah'd it), I'd say a pretty long time.

Great character editors and dressup. Also just-frame or clean hit mechanics with lots of impact except for in fighting games, where I hate them with a passion

racing games are just walking simulators with cars

Top-down gameplay.
Doesn't matter if there's melee, guns, or even cars, I'm all over that shit. By the same extension: Twin-stick shooters.

Even if it's utter garbage, I'll still at least spend a couple hours fucking with it.

Games that include mechanics that allow me to subvert and control the situation. Where NPCs are chess pieces waiting to be moved. I understand why the Jews like it so much. It's a shame that Shadow of War and it predecessor are so fucking awful.

Dual Wielding.
Just including it in the game means that at least one of the devs had the vague understanding of the concept of "cool".

Ultimate Spider-Man did a really good job letting you play as the villain character with totally different mechanics yet just as enjoyable as playing the MC without the story. Simply running around killing innocent bystanders for once without any clear goal other than to rack up as many points as possible on a timer. which you can boost by eating people

I loved playing that game and despite the disgusting console graphics it was fun.

Jetpacks. Doesn't even matter if they the Tribes style jump-jet type or the actual flight type, I automatically love a game that utilizes jetpacks.

Shadow of war isn't that bad really, ignoring the microtransactions.
Considering I pirated it and didn't have access to that shit anyway it might as well not have been there. It reworked the combat to where it was actually difficult, rather extremely so if you were underleveled, which was the main flaw of the original game.

Truly Thief was well beyond its time.

Guns are just a passing fad. Sword-and-buckler men, the true successors to Roman Legionaries, are the future.

I think you are mistaking "cool" with clinical retarded.

Probably the same people who think giving a gun a magazin makes it automatic.

… Resonance of Fate?
I think that game had a lot of cool ideas, though, especially with its weapon customisation.

Romance. Mechanically or not I like it

I can see where he is coming from but sadly I am more pragmatic and need my shit proper.

Same reason I don't like bikini armor and find girls in fully body armor lewder.

destruction physics like red faction gorilla wars. funny red faction at launch was also the most recent game i've seen with these mechanics.

why dont more people want to destroy stuff?

You realize dual wielding was an actual thing right. Not exactly common, but it's been done and done effectively.

I think that just ties into how modern game developers are terminally unambitious and perfectly content to just keep rehashing old ideas that were formed based on outdated hardware restrictions forever. Some amount of destruction really shouldn't be that hard, but think of how even just basic physics engine stuff has been getting cut more and more from games over the last decade.

Why would anyone, ever, take a second sword instead of a shield. It's just asking to get killed.
No you can't, you can move as fast as your arms let you

basic destruction doesnt interest me. but destroying buildings and having platforms and rooms tip and collapse really excites me. also being able to sneak into a building and plant C4 charges on main structural points, then retreat and destroy it from a distance, killing most of the enemies in there and gunning down the remaining scurrying rats from a vantage point.

why there isnt a massive modding community for red faction guerilla is beyond me. but they could have rehashed that title with that engine and just give me more to destroy and i'd buy them each at launch. maybe even preorder

but no. they cant let me be happy.

Because they never publicly released the game's SDK.

so youre telling me i have to dumpster dive behind the company's building and pay to recover HDDs they throw out until i find it?

that's stupid.

Pretty much. Total agreement on its being stupid. It's a very stupid industry that we have.

It worked for Musashi.

My guess is it's basically impossible to defend against, especially in a culture that doesn't seem to use shields. If you parry one sword you leave yourself wide open for the other one to stab you in the gut.

Inertially assisted lateral movement. Key point being inertia.

Dishonored is good.

Even if it's not a stealth game at all I will try to do a stealth play through. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and find it works almost exactly how I want farcry 2

I bet you like MMOs.

As a stealth game it's complete shit, as a first person action game it's pathetically easy but might entertain you if you're a fan of Dragon Age 2 design philosophy.

If you haven't already check out Brigador, really good little isometric shooter. Though the content is somewhat barebones the gameplay and aesthetics are good enough to carry it, I've probably put about 100 hours into it since I found it a month ago.

Might as well do it in Japan, Japan had no shields except those heavy ones used for sieges

I have a feeling you would like GURPS.

Can confirm, I love GURPS and I also think dual wielding is a stupid idea.
Also can confirm that your digits are excellent.

I am already invisible IRL :^(

I notice you senpai.

Only thing that's shit is your taste, bud.

in the narrative of duels or self defense against unarmored opponents it is actually incredibly overpowerd to the point that duels banned it and it was the metagame in self defense

Next you're going to tell me karate has any real world use.

I don't even have a picture to go with the (you) I'm giving to (you).