Technical Pet Peeves

What technical aspects or flaws always, consistently piss you off?

Other urls found in this thread:

phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Section_ID
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not a deal breaker, but its a pet peeve.

fucking yakuza

I will never understand this. Why have super items after the game's over?

People who break immersion by exploiting animation glitches.

A lot of people will call me a faggot for that last one, but for normalfags that don't know about hitboxes, it's super frustrating seeing a hit connect on screen but miss because the hit boxes don't line up.

The meta should either be included in a tutorial or not exist at all.

What is it about some games that the camera always feels inverted no matter what you change, like orbiting horizontal feels like it changes input direction randomly. Seems like I run across it in original Playstation games a lot.

I hated that the Ancient Dragon only dropped one fucking petrified dragon bone in DaSII. A mega OP boss whose attacks are all one hit kills (plus some weird glitch where his ankle explodes out of nowhere and kills you), and he only drops one.

This when it’s 3rd person and your character takes up 1/3 of the screen

That rhythm games have the fucking notification noise turned on by default (You know, that thing that let's you know you pressed a button, TURN THAT SHIT OFF AND MAKING IT STANDARD ACROSS THE BOARD! I PLAY RHYTHM GAMES PRIMARILY TO LISTEN TO THE MUSIC, AND I CANNOT DO THAT WHEN I HAVE A CONSTANT "BEEP BEEP BEEP" NOISE PLAYING EVERY SINGLE TIME I PRESS A BUTTON WHILE A SONG IS PLAYING! IF YOU HAVE THIS SETTING UNIRONICALLY TURNED ON, YOU DESERVE TO BURN IN HELL!)

Any fucking 3rd person shooter where you can’t switch shoulder view, meaning you can only really shoot and take cover from places on the left hand side

Careful.

That’s a feature. Even the newest We Wuz ASSassin’s Kangs has that “problem”.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fucking why

Men of war?

I've always hated this ARE YOU SURE? bullshit games have.

Are you sure you hate it?

Yes

Good thing I browsed through the thread before posting, because this is exactly what I was going to say.
Fuck EVERY GAME that does that. It makes me feel like some part of my body is crippled, or I'm blind in one eye or something.

This only annoys me if it’s two of them.

Necessary evil unfortunately. Rare is the time I mis-click/press but the one time I do, its nice to have a confirmation back up.

yes

Learn to live with your mistakes. Your parents did with you.

>and/or you are forced to click INTO menus to even get to the quit function once you’re back there

What the fuck is that supposed to imply.

"I only care about teh games" faggots need to choke to death, shit like this is easy to avoid and program and its the reason they can't pick up old games instead of "muh graphics".

Give me a game that doesn't do shit like that and I'll play it forever.

Could be worse:

I'll check those dubs, but even one unnecessary click is too much. It stacks on itself far too much.

Turntable enemies. You know what it is and you’ve probably seen it a bunch of times.

Fuck you game. ARMA managed to do this shit, it cannot be that difficult.

Disregard flag, I suck cocks.

One thing that bothers me to the point I stop playing a game is bad distant LOD and constant objects pop-in.

Oh yeah, forgot about these
The last one especially pisses me off, 40 fucking years of VideoGame design and faggots still can't get something so simple right, even a fucking stock sound related to the games setting will do.

How does anyone play the 3D sonic games?

How about both and the game crashes after freezing?

Muscle memory

Better play iron man mode every game then you tryhard faggot.

Drakengard 3 always loaded the fucking 5 minute trailer before the menu.

Sorry, I prefer playing my games in Batman mode.

It's the current year and devcucks still can't make proper-looking games.

Seriously, this should be standard fucking practice and on by default. Why isn't it on by fucking default! Why would you ever have fullscreen instead of boarderless fullscreen?

Uh, what's the difference?

I used to not mind this up until MGSV reminded me you can tackle objectives with great amounts of freedom and it was up to you to improvise a back up plan if everything went to shit. The fucking thrill of going in with a solid plan, getting right up to the objective, and then getting spotted by some stupid muppet guard in the corner so he can alert the whole base and fuck your shit up is amazing. You handle the objective quickly, begin your escape as everyone comes down on you with full force, and prepare for a few firefights on the way to the safest exit route.

I can appreciate it if it’s a challenge mode or hardest difficulty, but fuck this if it happens by default

Bethesda are the worst at this I swear. How does such a high profile dev manage to be so incompetent?

You can't be this stupid, surely?

Going by my experience, I'm guessing that one forces your computer's screen resolution to adhere to whatever the setting is in the game, meanwhile the other stretches the game resolution to fit whatever setting your screen is at. How close am I?

This. There is absolutely no excuse for this shit. And don't sell me the muh performance meme. II bet even the worst fucking incompetent subhuman wannabe dev on /agdg/ knows how to make good LOD that not even the most nitpicking graphics whore of a player will notice while playing.

user, please. This is Microsoft’s fault, yes, but it’s also slightly the fault of devs who don’t give a shit.

Okay, storytime because I have never had that problem (Primarily because of my second monitor, and a bit of guesswork).

Every Paradox game. If they crash, you’re fucked. You can activate the Task Manager–you can even switch back to your desktop and see everything else you have running–but that Paradox cursor will still be there and you can’t click on anything. Sometimes you can get lucky and forcibly quit the game in the taskbar, but other times you can’t even click on that and just have to log out to forcibly shut things down.

Then learn to use the Alt and Tab keys on your keyboard.

Also,

Fucking Dragon’s Dogma

Happened to me with TF2 a few times before I forced borderless on it. Couldn't do anything, like open up task manager, just gave me a black screen until I restarted.

Yeah, learning to navigate, move, and use task manager via the keyboard and my second monitor have gotten me out of a lot of those problems easily.

Mario 64 is the worst for this shit. You like how narrow spaces make the camera lose its mind? You like how the little bits of looseness in Mario's moveset make precise platforming a giant bitch? You like smacking into invisible walls on every vertex?

Doesn't work. I can use taskmanager just fine using the keyboard, but you literally can't see it to find the app to close because your screen goes black.
I'm actually not even sure it lets you open or select task manager since all sounds outside of Tf2 stopped working

You played Sanic '06 I see.

wew what why

And, that's where a second monitor comes in handy because I have it set so that my second monitor displays a taskbar as well, and I can tell which apps are taking lead by whichever one is highlighted (And, on occasion, I use "Start + (Arrow key)" to get task manager onto my second monitor so that I can see it and use it). Also, does anyone still use "Alt + F4" anymore , or is it just me?

It doesn't always work you stupid nigger, that's the entire reason he's saying borderless windowed is much better than fullscreen. If you alt+tab in borderless windowed, it focuses another window while leaving the game open (you can just click back in immediately while doing things on another monitor for example), but in fullscreen, the game will have to refresh itself/take control of your display again when you re-enter the game, possibly resulting in crashing, bugs, sound issues, control problems, display flashing, etc. and if it crashes, you can end up having the cursor still taken control of by the game process and thus unable to interact with another window.

This is also why alt-tabbing out is inconsistent in some games/on some engines. In some, it's fairly stable and almost never results in issues, but in others it does shit like what is describing.

Alt+F4 doesn't work. Start+arrowkey didn't work either. I dunno why you keep responding with different 'solutions' when you've admitted to not having the same problems and I told you nothing was able to fix it except borderless.

Why would you have another app open when playing a game (Aside from background music)?

That's because I've gotten out of those problems because of my second monitor and keyboard shortcuts. I can only recall one instance where a game left my computer so unusable to the point that I had to log out.

That's cool user, but it doesn't work for me. Making the game Borderless did. So what you're telling me is essentially worthless.
In addition, the plebbit spacing in your post is visual AIDS

What the fuck are you talking about? Windows has the exact opposite problem, D3D9 is designed to run everything in exclusive mode and has notoriously shitty window support.

It means of course it's fucking shit, it's Assassins Creed. Faggot.

By using the same decades old engine with new shit bolted and glued on all over it with the skill of a drunk back alley doctor

Didn't work. I've said it a few times now but there was no way around it except borderless.

Unskippable dialog, or even worse, slowly scrolling unskippable dialog. It's also extemely frustrating when there's dialog that's slowly scrolling and is skippable but pressing the skip button just skips past it instead of making it all appear. And something that I've only seen in XCOM The Bureau, voiced dialog that's skippable, but you skip past a person's turn to talk rather than just the lines displayed on the caption, so you have to wait for them to finish speaking all of their lines except the last one, then you can finally skip without missing a line.

Name this game
What game is this?

PS2 Phantom Blood's only redeeming quality is that you can play as Boxer Dio.

Man these Toasting Croat memes are getting good

I have no clue but it sounds like some shit Bethesda would create

Fable 1. A little too easy since there was a thread recently to jog my memory, but I think I've got it.

god is a SERB our serb god will kill all of u croats!!! that son of bitch at the tribune is only first casulty of god KILLING ALL DIRTY TURK CROATS hahaHa

My brother
The "I am casper" tier i-frame shit in bloodborne had me drop the game an hour in, due to finding some buster-sword wielding faggot that did huge horizontal swings, and discovering that rather than attempt to fight him in some way that made visual sense, you had to side-dash through his sword. I-frames are fucking lazy. At least add some "you are invincible during this evade" fuckin text or something, rather than relying on someone being a fucking idiot and dodging into a sword to find this.

That's only bad when you're playing bad games. Try REZ, and see it done right.

Then why not just buy or youtube the music?

Borderless window mode is a meme for streamfags that use retarded shit like OBS that STILL HAS NO IN-GAME OVERLAY FOR FUCK'S SAKE EVEN XSPLIT DOES HITS NOW and normalfags that HAVE to alt-tab out to (((discord))) and facebook every five seconds. Useless piece of shit meme option shilled by totalasscancer of all people.

Like what, ubiosoft's "dissolve in" meme they started in FC3? LOD level switching is hard to mask.

iframes really changed my life with the souls games. I remember getting mauled by Aava 50 times over before I was told the trick was to roll into her attacks. I thought that was the stupidest thing ever and it didn’t work at all. Then I was told to up my ADP and what do you know, you can cheese the enemies by rolling into shit instead away or under it. At least it wasn’t as bad as DEX Souls III

Click-to-move controls

There's an user that screeches about the exact opposite. I wonder if they just had an aneurysm finally.

If anyone is still using DirectX they should fucking off themselves.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Fallout.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Fallout.

>>>/todd/

Never understood why they exist.

Drop rates are OK.
But then you have games with already rare to find enemies that have super low drop rates for super useful items. Not to mention boss drop rates or drop rates for items dropped only by enemies that you can only fight once.

Try 0.01

Exactly, that's specially a deal breaker for me in MMOs, well, literally why I stopped playing them.

Games where your audio settings don't register until you get past the 'press start' screen. I love my ears getting raped by the FMVs from the twelve thousand fucking companies that made this game.
Pic related is me every time I bootup a game and forget this is a problem.

or

Also

Fuck off

Shock/horror

Endless Space 2 has so many pointless ambient sounds, pointless mouse hover sounds, pointless focus sounds and so on that I just muted the whole thing. It also uses way too much post processing, the UI is way over designed, and there's just way too much going on graphically with each mechanic. Someone really needs to tell those devs that sometimes less is more.

Clipping in general makes me cringe.

It's especially dumb considering I'm playing Dark Arisen which has been touted featuring ALL NEW 4K ULTRA HD RESOLUTION WITH HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE and yet it still has these ugly textures and clipping problems. It's like the least qualified game that warrants a high res mode.

I Love SA2, but God fucking damn that controller layout.

>end up attacking them instead

There has literally never been a single good game with this shit, it's proof it's just a corporate product.

Someone didn't use the X button.

Pokemon XY

Whenever it happened I felt like gripping my canines, pulling them out and stabbing my eyes.

Taking care of berries is a pain in the ass when you use the circle pad.

Taking care of berries in general is a pain in the ass.
Make something fun or don't make it at all, it's a video game.
In real life taking care of plants is fun, but pressing A, waiting on an animation and skipping repetitive dialogue isn't.

Berry pots were better (from HGSS), at least you didn't have to keep going back to take care of them before you got a decent number of berries, specially since the difference from Oran to Sitrus is stupid, one is always 10 HP the other is a %, the pinch flavor berries don't even give you 1/8th of your HP, I think they give you a 1/16th.

Fucking up and not failing instantly made for some pretty fun moments other than the fucking nigglets but
It sucks when you're trying to kill a guy with a silenced rifle, but accidentally shoot the armored vehicle next to him, so the vehicle just bombards your exact location, even though no one else knows where you are.
Why couldn't they react like the enemies and try to find you or at least shoot blindly instead of snipe you?

You should read about PSO's Section ID system.
phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Section_ID
>You'll actually never find it, because your drop rates are calculated by your character's name.
I'm guessing the system was made with good intentions to encourage player economy, but holy fuck is it beyond retarded.

This is the absolute worst. It's like the developers don't even understand the basics of how melee combat should go in their games. Coincidentally, I've never played a ZeniMax game that doesn't have every enemy in the game be like that.

Always chaps my ass.

I really hate this shit in Dark Souls. I'd much rather just be able to go right back into the fight rather than having to trek there and either avoid all the enemies or kill them again, it's tedious as fuck and I see no worth in being forced to do it again if the boss is what's actually challenging me. Or…

Dark Souls II? the funny thing is, some of them had a backstab defense mechanism and it would have been interesting if you were just encouraged to be on the sides.

Never really a problem at modern resolutions, but in old games it's always cancer. It's like people don't even play the games they make, anyone should be able to see how fucking awful this feels right away.

This shit was awful in Dark Souls 2. Every enemy had it too. Fuckhuge dragons would turn like they're on a record table to keep you from getting an advantage, it was bullshit.

That reminds me of another fucking ZeniMax thing:

Are you still mad you cannot plunder Croatia freely anymore during the Yugo era?

Another one from Pokemon

Excusable if it's a really early game like Mario 1 and they just didn't know the hardware yet, but any other time it's really shit.

one of the few things elite dangerous did really well.

Stop. Motion blur looks fucking atrocious.

Sir Alonne was such a great fight but FUCK the walk to him with that fucking rejected Iron Keep section and Alonne Knight gank. Fuck Iron Passage in totality, that hellhole was the ultimate amalgamation of every level design sin there is

This coupled with some enemies like the lion warriors having seemingly unbreakable poise was dreadful. But they really went over overboard with the Looking Glass Knight and his ground lightning attack

What the fuck is the point in dodging if the boss, the physical attack, and the projectile all lock onto you. They clearly don’t want you strafing him either because his shield blacks everything and briefly staggers you if you do much as rub your dick on it, leaving you to strafe sword-side where his wide arch attacks are bound to hit you.

Some bosses are just designed to say FUCK YOU and giving you no real, logical way to outmaneuver it or its attacks.

Also fuck those red phantom torturers sitting on the trees on the way to Undead Purgatory that chain aggro and mob you, despite you being able to single aggro them before NG+
There’s nothing fun about being swarmed by 5 red phantoms at once, but B team only cares about LE HARD

Don't forget the gigantic hitbox on his ground slam.

Not sure what game you're talking about specifically but a lot of RPGs have NG+, optional super bosses and/or significant post-end content.

I have to assume PSO2 doesn't have microtransactions?

Monster hunter wouldn't be nearly as tense if it didn't have this bullshit, honestly.

It does.
It doesn't make sense either way.

Yes it would. Capcom just needs to animate the turns better.

Just played Armikrog (I'm a stupid babby that can't into adventure games but it was 4 bucks)

Holy shit this game was made on a budget and it shows. Some peeves:

Why did they use celebrities for V.O
Work if the characters are gonna be silent 98% of the time?
The block creature that's just a horribly stretched sprite of a normal one
Beak-Beak can fly but only in rooms when he's fed the flying bug pill in a dish, but not out of the room except sometimes. Also there's an infinite amount but I had to find the bug first.
Annoying, incomprehensible and unskippable cinematic when you click on the Octovator.
Half of puzzles require leaps in logic not hinted at anywhere in the game.
The other half is "see symbols, write down, use later".
Most of the time you have to go across multiple screens to see a clue if you're on the right track, just a lot of dead ends to pad the time.
Pause menu and main menu have no music or animation. Hitting escape during the baby mobile puzzle does nothing and you have to listen to a crying baby.
Save/Load game is in the options menu, no indication your game is saved or that the autosave is even current.
Items blend into the floor, multiple leers are identical and so are the places they're supposed to fit into but if you have the wrong lever for an identical hole, too bad! No color-coding or anything.
Music randomly changes & turns off.
Doors open but sometimes you can't go in them because you didn't solve the puzzle.
Alien language everywhere so it's hard to tell what I'm supposed to remember.

I know these are all nitpicks for a Kickstartered game but I couldn't help but think of Portal. That was a game with personality and had a really smooth learning curve. If the aim of the puzzle is that you recreate the only non-damaged robot drawing, start with a puzzle earlier on where there's just 1 slider with 3 options to get the idea in the player's head before they contend with 5 sliders and 30 options. Basic shit like that was seen only a few times in Armikrog and I clearly wouldn't have gotten far without a guide. Neverhood puzzles were much more self-explanatory (except the radio room) so I am disappointed its spiritual sequel is such a chore.

Quantum Break?