Amateur Gamedev General ~ /agdg/ + /vm/

PROGRAMMING EDITTIOn, guys I have finals and stuff so I can't really post, but here is the thread because nobody wanted to make it

also, why does "flood detected" happeN?

Resources:

>>>/agdg/

>>>/vm/

Links:

>Wiki: 8agdg.wikidot.com/

>Beginner's guide: >>>/agdg/29080

Feel free to contribute to and update the wiki. We want it to contain information for current and previous games, as well as helpful beginner articles.

Other urls found in this thread:

khanacademy.org/mission/math
8ch.net/v/res/13908982.html
stackoverflow.com/questions/12435671/quaternion-lookat-function/17654730#17654730
shodanon.itch.io/mr-gigafist-ludum-dare-49
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/mr-gigafist-a-post-apocalyptic-brawling-adventure
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/sniper-protector
volafile.org/get/rch3NGc4mhN-/Windows_x86_64.zip
volafile.org/get/rckbjGkWBPca/Windows_x86.zip
soundcloud.com/user-255533427/paddington
qiao.github.io/PathFinding.js/visual/
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=56740
archive.fo/fToCU
doomworld.com/forum/topic/50624-fastest-opengl-source-port-engine-for-wads/?do=findComment&comment=867957
zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99089#p99089
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=57253
twitter.com/twitter/statuses/938078284574838786
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=893134#p893134
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=56634&sid=58b7c3d35f4dcb88b92735cdca9c094e&start=15#p1010906
github.com/Patchcoat/LudumDare40
my.mixtape.moe/lejrql.7z
github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/12993
discord.gg/GSkSfm
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/API/Runtime/CoreUObject/UObject/UObject/Serialize/index.html
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/API/Runtime/Core/Serialization/FArchive/index.html
wiki.unrealengine.com/Save_System,_Read_&_Write_Any_Data_to_Compressed_Binary_Files
8ch.net/vm/res/1784.html
gdcvault.com/play/1024151/The-Last-Game-I-Make
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So, how's LD going, user? Got any idea, already or still in the "design" phase?

Naw, We're making progress

What is the "design" phase even? I have literally never "designed" my games. You just make them and then tweak them if you don't like them.

Decided to animate some again to procastrinate on engine work. Any feedback?

I'm in the theoretical mathematics phase, testing if you can make nonograms with dimensions higher than 3D.

"Design" phase is a time when you're convinced that thinking about a game is the same as making it. Phase that just ended for me

I think you should focus more on the grounding the feet. Animations are pretty decent but those sliding feet kill the weight of those moves. Better eliminate this while you're still sketching because when those'll become proper sprites it'll be very noticeable. Gif rel, 3rd one with feet firmly planted on the ground and with a bigger dash forward. By the way that dash is tiny compared to that fucking huge step back motion. Before adjusting the dash this animation's "net worth" movement, so to speak, was negative, as in, the way you drew it, instead of leaping forward, she's actually going backward; now she at least ends in the same place she started.

Can brain even understand 4D puzzles? Or would it be just random trail and error fest?

Noted & thanks for your response, I'll take another pass at the feet with vertical position in particular if I understand what you're saying right. Third gif is more unhappy timing than anything else though, the freeze frame after the animation finishes is where she stops, not where she starts, but the first few animation frames happen to work for both positions, so I might need to do something about that step-in too.

Wait a minute, I fucked up. The left foot is in the same place through out the whole animation. Here's corrected version with bigger dash.

possibly after the game teaches the player 4D spatial reasoning

I'm trying to download xnormal but the download keeps stopping at around 25%, i want to bake my turtleeeeeeeee
I screwed the sculpt up quite a bit but it's in "good enough" territory so I'm gonna keep going with it. It doesn't have any specific use for me yet, I just wanted some practice.

Do you guys have any good resources to recommend for catching up on math in an orderly fashion? I learned chunks here and there but I'm finding it really hard to learn new concepts without all the context. Also, i was taught math in my native language, so should I just start over to learn it in English or google translate new words as I go?

understand any number of dimensions with this simple trick: every dimension is just the starting point of a new dimension

You'll see a 3D projection of the 4D object, can select which 3 axes you see, and can scroll along the currently invisible axis with a scrollbar. It basically just becomes harder to find the next projection that you can find a working hint in.
I could also use just the 4th dimension as invisible and not give any hints along that axis, but then it would pretty much be as simple as a 3D one except as many puzzles as it is wide in the W axis. Then you could make puzzles that basically are just frames, and make simple 3D voxel animations. I'm keeping that as an alternative solution if the real deal doesn't work out, but my intention is to make it stupidly hard since the theme is "the more you have dimensions in my case, the worse it gets".

LDJam project going on

I started doing khan academy courses from the beginning. I'll be a pro gamedev in no time.

I think you might be a better fit as a game's journalist.

This is my protagonist, he is a Dracaryan

those polygons and normals tbh

hope my codebro can deliver on the game systems.

is this like a good score in one of those "subjectively, you're right" universities?

bad game design

you don't wanna get hit. I was opting to have one-hit-one-death system but now it's 3 strikes and you're out.

it makes it harder to understand what happened and because the yellow punch indicator can be hidden when the npc is closer to the player, getting hit may result in getting hit more because you're thinking you weren't that close but didn't realize what happened until too late tbh

that actually gave me an idea. I'll make the indicator for enemies a different color.
And I'll tone it down so it's clearer what happened.

yellow is fine, just need it so that their arms don't cover it

The riboon is rendered over everything now

that's much better

How to learn:
Read loomis, watch glenn vilppu DVDs.
Practice drawing from imagination trying to recreate pictures you see from google or your anime shit, but trying to copy them from imagination (like you watch the picture then draw it, then if you forget about a part, watch the picture again).
Try to construct these pictures as if you were doing it from imagination.
Start with the movement lines, then do perspective boxes, then proportions, then anatomy, then clothes and hair, then clean up and ink said piece.
Practice perspective, anatomy, values and planes.
Learn how to render a realistic picture by copying some masterwork.
Read "The story" from robert mckee.
Read TV tropes articles on writing, read tv tropes.
Download the TTC courses about shakespeare, poetrhy and the one called writing better sentences and writing non fiction.
Also learn grammar, and seek the ode less written (poethry book).
Read the bible, shakespeare and the most important works of literature in history.
Learn to write a sonnet.
Watch at least the 100 best movies of all time in hollywood.
Read SICP and watch it's course.
Learn to code pong and breakout using SDL on C#.
Make some games with libgdx.
Read about data structures and algorithms.
Read about optimization of algorithsm.
Read the basics of computer architecture.
Learn the C programming language.
Learn algebra, trigonometry, calculus, linear algebra and physics.
Learn about OpenGL and do some graphics demoes.
Learn to do space partioning like quadtrees.
Learn the basics of game engines architectures, physics engines architectures.
Read the basics of AI.
Google "The complete musician" PDF which is a college book on music theory and analisis.
Read the basics of music theory (music theory for dummies).
Realize music is nothing more than a melody line with one or more voices at the same time playing basically the same notes of your chord progression.
Google some tutorial on the basics of harmony, chord progressions and counterpoint.
Buy a cheap keyboard.
look up some tutorial on youtube called "from seconds to hours/mintutes of gameplay"
read a book on fun and game design.
read the book of chris crawford of game design.
read on topology, learn to draw your own references, mostly if you do the 2D step, 3D is easy as fuck.
get a pen tablet and learn about sculpting on clay to master zbrush.
look up the blenderella course, the blender rigify rigging DVD, the chaos and evolution DVD.
download the animator survival kit.
Master the 12/10 animation principles of old disney guys.
Get some exercises of animation.
Master drawing.
Read the bible, the basics of history, get some hobbies that aren't games like gardening, fitness, martial arts, music, reading literature, economics, history, political theory.
Read about sexual transmutation.
Do nofap.
Get a dog.
Learn diferent languages.
Socialize.
Read about investment.
Read how things get viral, a book on viral marketing.
Read about the blue ocean strategy in bussiness.
Start doing exercise, do calisthenics or join a gym.
Cook your own food, don't eat garbage, learn about nutrition.

AMEN

greetings from the discord jam team

Enemies spawn independently or is it triggered by killing them?

khanacademy.org/mission/math

the worst part is that he failed that just because of the timer
the lessons are ok once you learn your power level

that looks like some good gameplay

by kill

those are some deadly bananas

Such is fate.

I'd say that's a better mentality tbh

you need to realize 99.9% of anime is fucking wrong, simplified as fuck, use weird anatomy, anatomy mistakes and so on.

realism is useless for anime and will come as pretty weird to draw anime using western fundamentals, since doing perspective on anime is wrong (anime is drawn without perspective).

So, focus on copying your favorite gook artist, rather than focusing on loomis.

pic related, my skill.

it looks odd, but in the same way old Nip video game manuals looks odd. its a bit uncanny even for animu, though though I am not the one to talk!

is more like old 90's anime, that's maybe why is uncanny.

Tone down your autism and start stylizing & gesture drawing.

I think it looks odd because the head has no depth to it/the haircut suggests a weird skull shape, maybe it should also lean left a tiny bit or the neck's connecting to something weirdly. There's also the lines on the hair being a bit weak, both in thickness and in stroke.

No, don't do this because you become one of those fags excusing poor anatomy as "muh style". Learning good anatomy and drawing skills are fundamental. After that you can exaggerate what you like to achieve a look you want.

That's just blatantly wrong.

I just want to marry the animu aesthetic to a classical painting and make one of my waifu.
Pic related is lacking, but it shows the direction I'd like to go into.

Interesting. It's about getting the gist of the pose right.
I'll do it.

just draw you draw slut tbh

you do realize 99.9% of anime, even professional anime done in the industry has anatomy and perspective mistakes.

I could draw realistic faces and I learned loomis and I can do portraits.

But animoo faces, have mistakes because most gooks suck at doing realism, and therefore having mistakes becomes part of the style.

western artists try to make animu while following loomis and always fall in the trap of making western looking anime.

Of course you got top tier artists in japan who make anime good because they grinded loomis and realism, but they're the minority.

Actually doing an anime drawing with perspective comes off.

If you try to make anime on blender, is literally impossible because you need to tweak and deform the anatomy into weird shapes that are wrong if you follow loomis.

im almost ready to watch rick and morty

I'd say you're overqualified.

You're twisting your argument. You said anime wasn't drawn with perspective not that they were bad at it. Perspective is a fundamental part of drawing attention to what you want the viewer to focus on.

No offense, but I find that hard to believe considering what you posted above. Your lines don't look very confident at all.

Of course anime isn't realistic, it's not trying to because by being unrealistic it gets to be better than reality, in some sense. It uses anatomy, perspective and artistic fundamentals for as long as it helps the result, and then breaks the rules if it feels like that will just look better (or take too long to draw, a common problem in serialized art). Perfect realism is a false god, even Loomis constantly tells people to draw in a larger-than-life way.

be sure to post your game here when the jam's done. I sure as hell wanna play it.

Thanks, my dude. We sure are getting better at those 72 hour projects.

How many folks are working together on it?

even do while I agree that serious artists should learn portrait if they want to improve and even while I agree I should spend time learning portrait and realism (but I'm busy learning math right now), there are some styles where they're so simplified that loomis is useless (lucky star, madoka, some moe styles).

If you want to be a top musician, you should learn classical composition, but if your goal is to write your generic metal music, then is not needed.

no idea i see sometimes four of us, not sure if the others are active

Oh fuck yes i finally managed to download xnormal. New pc handles baking like a champ.
Where's the option to bake in 16 bit.

What about all the anime and manga with good art that shows a good understanding of the fundamentals though.

Is that your art? I recommend you watch moderndayjames' "becoming a gi" and perspective series when you have the time, the way he explained the concepts helped me a lot, just try to ignore the less than stellar humor.

Hey shodanon what you up to right now?

btw, this is the discord, not Shodanon team.
also the current game looks like this, not half bad, considering everything was done by hand

Me for code/assets, my codefriend for… well, code. My brother for music. Just like Beelzebox. I was hoping to get more people on board but it's the same old story: people love to talk how they'd be making a game but given a chance, they never take it.

well, okay. the gameplay idea was from an ideaguy friend whose contract doesn't allow him to make vidya outside of his company

what kind of company doesn't allow that?

Isn't game making basically a hobby to those doing it soley for fun and not career?

Game studios. They don't want competition.

given the info below, I think that's self explanatory.

Mobile app companies don't allow their employees to make mobile apps privately either. This includes mobile games

who's to say that she stepped on her own bananas? it's not like there are only 3 bananas in the world. Also, the wording in no way indicates that she ever dropped her bananas.

And some people would eat stepped bananas just fine

An abandoned project I was working on a while back. The combat system was a recreation of Resonance of Fate, except with more weapons, and a more detailed armor system.

I remember your posts. Thanks for sharing. I'll be putting it on the abandoned projects part of the wiki

I want to get started on my own PS1 styled renderer (with fixed point vertex transforms, no mipmapping, etc)
Where do I start?

Good to hear I'm still remembered. Perhaps one day I'll pick it up again, but for now I've been sidetracked with other projects.

Also the blueprinting that went into this needs to be purged with fire and rebuilt anew

I just wanna say that anime style is 99% fucking mumbo jumbo trash. For me, it's gotten to the point where when looking at lewds, anime styles to me don't look much more compelling than stick figures. BUT then you see actual artists draw manga and doujins, like Yamatogawa or po-ju, and they manage to make it look outstanding. Like to the point where I feel like I'm looking at actual art - every page is a painting.

I think the style itself does not have any bearing on quality. The only thing that actually matters is whether or not the artist himself has high standards and understanding of academic principles of drawing. It can make anything look good when applied properly.

Honestly the only thing that I consistently see being drawn poorly in manga is feet, and I'm not even a footfag. It's just that it's so fucking prevalent it's laughable.

i have an ok idea at this point. i'm going to make a half-assed sinnoh region ripoff for my space balls not-pokemon ohrrpgce parody thing. I was thinking of making the island and sub-island a dick and vagoo respectively, but that just seems too obvious for something aping on (((Mel Brooks'))) comedic style.

Yo, MoM user here!; I decided I will be making mini vids in anticipation of the demo release, so here is the first video of said batch!

Here, you will see the animation and sprite changes I have applied to the Pistol, Shotgun and Magnum, as well as adding a kick back property to the shotgun and Magnum. While you could use it in the past to push yourself back to gain speed, you can now use it to perform Gun Jumps!

The event is already half-over user. Compo ends in a few hours, jam 24 hours after that.

i'm not doing this for a competition. is there a ohrrpgce comp taking place right now i'm not aware of?

You replied to a post that asked if you had an idea yet for a gamejam that is currently going on.

I thought LD stood level design and not something specific. it was just a general question in my mind.

Oh man one of my favorite mechanics.
You better make good use of it.

its not really a necessary mechanic, but more so another of many vertical options in my game!

That being said, its one of the quicker air options in the game, and is very useful in certain areas, one of which is featured in the demo I will be releasing soon!

This looks fucking fun. I already want to play it.

Some jingly magic sounds would finish off that logo introduction animation. Otherwise looking fun, MoMdev. And you need to post more often you jerk!

I actually DO plan on posting more. At least a video every one or two days now, just to show off changes, mechanics and areas I have not shown off yet. Also I will take note of that!

Also, just a general question for everyone here, would you say the animations on those weapons have been improved since the last time I shown them off?

And one last thing, I was showing off this project in the Doom Thread not too long ago, and god a lot of feed back in regards to the lighting in my maps. If they is any suggestion of improvements ANYBODY would like to suggest, I will do them; the gun animation changes are a part of that, so I do take note on such things!

I live on the edge.

Writing the GDD. It's very important to have that. I hear a lot of anons say that it's not, and that it's the same as ideafagging, but being able to just directly pump work into an existing concept is important for organization's sake. It makes you much more efficient. I can never do artistic things if I'm in a bad mood, and I'm in a bad mood a lot. So what I do is I have a design doc that I follow and do purely technical things for, so when I'm in a good mood all I have to do is put flesh on them bones.

Also, your brain thinks more than you're aware. If you roll the idea over and over in your head and think about the implementation, the solution comes much easier when you're actually working on the project. I was skeptical of this at first, but once I started letting my brain do some of that background thinking before starting to do things hands-on, I'm just generally getting shit done quicker because I'm going through the motions, the whole thing feels more familiar than not.

what do i do with my health/stamina bars? I tried solid colors and now I'm at the Stalker-style bars but it's still not looking quite right. I considered using percentages, but they're not the best thing when you're just looking at the hud with the corner of your eye.

Glad to see this is getting worked on. I come back and immediately see some art. That being said, made good points. Plus, you have to consider your standing sprite and how it is animated plus how the animation may affect how a player sees themselves in-game in terms of where their player character is collision wise. In the first animation for example, upon doing a second hit the sprite moves forward in the image. Now animation movement and in-game movement aren't necessarily the same thing and because your image shows a player moving where they aren't actually, this could make the player think that their hitbox is further from where it actually is (ex: your player location was (0x,0y) but your animation made it look like your player is at (10x,0y)).

If you're not sure exactly what you want, or just have a vague idea, sketching things out and writing them down might be useful, but if you already have what you want clearly in your head, and have the skill to implement it, it's probably more useful to make a quick proof-of-concept.

If you're going for things that can be read at a glance, vertical bars work well. Alternatively, you can use an icon that changes color based on the state, like red from 0%-30%, yellow from 30%-60%, and green for 60% or above (or different colors based on what the thing represents)
Or why not both, vertical bars that change color based on fill.

What about solid colors with a shadow? Eg pic related

Also >57 bars

Maybe this is a difference in creative process because I give absolutely no thought, I just take action and see what the result is after. Usually it is good, if not then I can change it. Granted I haven't worked on the "game" part of what I am doing since I am still programming an engine, so I know what kinds of algorithms I want to make, and because these things take so long to implement I have a clear road-map in my head. But in gameplay I just say, I want to make a new kind of enemy and then just make it, etc etc, like playing with a ball of clay until I like it, instead of having an idea of what I want to make with the clay finally at any point.

user called me out for not updating fast enough, so thanks for the inspiration.

I've noticed that the upper legs for these two animations looked like they should be swapped with each other due to how they are animated. Turns out it worked imo, gonna upload some of what I have in a bit. I learned how to use the smear and perspective tools better, so that actually took off the stress of having to redraw 6-12 times. I know I already posted these, but I've got new ones to post them I'm gonna start adding the legs. After this, I get to animate jumping which will actually be pretty fun.

I actually really like this hud style, I might do something like this but with lit up lights (such as from an older stereo system, maybe something you'd see in Fallout Tactics). Like take what you have now but for health make it so a lighter shade of red is used for health that the player has at that moment.

Actually fuck it, mind if I spin this sideways and use it? I really like that color scheme, reminds me of 70's future aesthetic stuff. Like something you'd see on a wood-panel CRT.

Nice ballsack, faggot.

Mockup movement in image software isn't necessarily the real movement that will be scripted in-engine, but I'm trying to make it roughly match. So for example the 4-hit combo will have forward movement on 2nd and 3rd hit when I get around to putting it into the engine.

Glad to hear. I'll admit I didn't know about it at first so I usually assume other people haven't either. What are you deving in/with btw?

LOVE2D/Notepad++/Krita. It's probably not the best of choices but I've gotten a bit too comfortable with them to really want to change.

Is it possible in flash or unity to give bones to a vector object and animate it like rondo duo style?

I've actually got it working already, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist and I want to be happy with it before I move on to making a functional inventory system.

The bars are just tiled flat to fill the defined space, they're not there to necessarily be precise. They don't go bar-by-bar, either. It just gets cut down to fit. As for the solid colors - it's too "blobby" - it doesn't have that stone-faced purely technical feeling that I want the UI to have. It needs to be straight to business, no funny stuff. You know what I mean?

I guess it's just two different kinds of thinking.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I can't stop you from using it. If I was to leave a request I'd say switch it up a little so it doesn't look identical - I'm planning to sell this game some time down the line, whenever that's going to be.

I feel you on Notepad++. Try Sublime Text 2, it is like Notepad (I think Windows 7, 32-bit and up only?) in a bunch of ways. The way you edit properties such as text size is weird though, that might be a turn off.

I think that if i get sick of text editors that I have right now, I will just make my own text editor. I won't make it until my next project is done though. The reason for it is that I just don't like text editors, pelles C is good but has some bugs in it that wont get fixed, because its not been updated since 2014… also its because I want an IDE that can compile shit for like 20 diffrent C compilers, just because and currently no system of batch files or bash files will do this for me easily yet.

Jesus, just use Code::Blocks, or Vim or Visual Studio or Notepad++ or something

but this won't feed into my autisim , I mean I can explain why those editors aren't what im using easily:

Code::Blocks is actually something that looks OK, so I might use it
Vim is annoying and if I will use it I am probably going to use the editor "Open Watcom Vi" that came with open watcom because it looks cool, other than that I don't even know how to use it
Visual Studio is too many GB, I mean I have it but its a waste, also the macros are buggy so if you change a macro you have to recompile the whole thing because it wont realize you changed it, thats annoying…
Notepad++, I mean its just not as good as a real IDE, cmon

So, Pelles C is right now the best text editor I have, because its pretty cool and less bloated than all of those "Except for open watcome vi if you didnt have to download the whole software suite. So, the idea is that I can write my own cool text editor, and it will be just for me… and also my own build system, because I don't like the ones that exist right now. I mean its just like a text editor so its not that big of a deal to make it, I'm not gonna make emacs or something its a text editor…

I have some cool ideas for games (programmer) but I recognize that all of them are pretty big projects and would take years to complete. I'm likely to get burned out of them and not end up finishing them.

I also have some ideas for simple, easy games that have been done before but would be cool to make. Obviously I wouldn't show them to anybody. Should I just build up my experience with the easier, fun games before tackling the big projects I'm really passionate about?

Make the easier games first. And you should absolutely show your games to everyone you can, even if they are just clones of other games.

the big uppercut is too slow and freezes in the wrong moments
second combo is really good for you, it shows you are breaking the 2d mindset
the double kick looks overpowered, give it more time before it actually kicks

none of them because bananas are fucking garbage and only for ape niggers

Is your first note about #3 instead? The attack is designed to have 2 hits, the first one is more or less where it has an unnatural break. It's probably going to look better in motion, because I can set individual frame timings instead of lazily setting every frame to the same duration, but I will definitely try and time it more smoothly, and faster for the whiff case where it has to look like one big uppercut. About #5, I'm thinking about making the splits kick move forward less because it's intended as an option for when you're sandwiched. It'll also be not very fast comparatively, but the way it's going to be balanced is probably commitment, as in lack of free cancel options and recovery time.

The first time I read about this was in a Napoleon Hill book, and since now everybody knows that the guy was a hack, maybe the best hack America ever produced, I can't help but to view these kinda of statements with extreme doubt, and sometimes with a little hostility. If you could back it up with some sources that doesn't go up to the snake oil salesman would be a great favor. Mind you, I'm not against NoFap or chastity, and I do not doubt their immediate effects (not wasting time with ephemeral bullshit), my whole problem is with 'sexual transmutation', the term and the concept.

Apart from this, what an amazing post. I love this self learning shit it's like half of reason I still come to this end of the world. I already knew half of this from /loomis/ and the 8agdg wiki but other half is quite precious.

Sage because no progress was posted.

I started to self teach myself about a lot of topics using fucking youtube and google and asking questions on 4chan.

All my learnings comes from years from self teaching myself a lot of topics and clearly self teaching myself everything that the goverment want me to learn but like everything the goverment does, is shit.

I didn't even finish the last year of highschool and only got my high school diploma because of my SAT score.

I've tried five times to enter college, and got in like four diferent colleges, I got accepted into the best one in my city, but I always drop out before the first semester, because they're garbage, the professors don't even care about teaching their topics, have to waste an entire day to just go and spend one hour learning.

Why go to college when I can spend an entire day listening to what colleges teach in six month in just a couple days.

Fuck education and fuck the matrix system, they want you to learn the basics to be a wagecuck and they don't care if you learn what you need or want.

They don't even teach history of math in math classes.
I had to rediscover my love of math because I'm self teaching myself high school math using youtube.

People would feel more fulfilled if they were a bit more like you, unhappily our kind faces extinction.
Did you ever read Weapons of Mass Instruction?
I think you are going to like it

Sage again for no progress.

I dunno, I feel like I don't read enough books, but clearly culture of critique and such pol books are on my radar.

I've always felt like the official goverment education wasn't my fit.

I was outside touching bugs and watching the sky and wondering about clouds when I was a literal small kid.

I got into some trouble with my professors because I told them the classes were too easy and slow, and the rest of the class hated me for that.

I got tested for my IQ since I was 11 and got 117.

I usually spend time on the school library when the rest where doing sports.

I always had trouble with what the goverment tells me to learn and I rather self teach myself than wasting time on classes.

Eventually you start to discover the world of right wing politics and read about the history of the goverment, and realize how fucked is the system.

I made this thread BTW:
8ch.net/v/res/13908982.html

You need to get out more and get some friends. You talk and write like a neckbeard, i.e. just like me 4-5 years ago. This is a red flag, and you need to do some self-reflection and stop thinking you know and understand everything, because you most likely don't. Slow the fuck down and get your angst under control.

t. fellow autist

I honestly think you sound like an underage tool, and your writing style isn't helping matters, but your passion and drive for teaching ie math seems real and I respect that.

most of the people I met IRL are simply, I dunno how to put it nicely, they're slaves of the system, they're plugged, happy to live as wageslaves the best years of their lives, all their youth, in a lifestyle that doesn't improve their culture nor intelligence, enjoying self destructive habits, like hook up garbage, spending time getting drunk without realizing how damaging and poisonous is alcohol, spending time reading fake news without even considering for a moment who is behind the scenes or caring about real politics, thinking the goverment intervention in markets is a good idea because poor people needs welfare, without basic understanding of economics to understand why free healthcare is bad and why goverment education is garbage and kill a children self steem and doesn't teach nothing usefull for daily live, much less spending time watching garbage shows of TV that are written because the director hired a shit writer to produce a soap opera so you can see garbage melodrama for the TV channel to make money off advertisement, or listen music promoted by the jewish music industry in a effort to destroy music sensitivity and dumb down melodic and harmonic and counterpoint beauty so they can push crime music in a attempt to destroy the power of counter culture of music, while comodifying real counter culture as a mass produced ideology to teenagers, while population never questioned why they need to work 8 hours a day so their bosses and companies get their aggregated value of their work just to afford food so their companies saves millions on taxes by sending factory jobs to thirld world countries and fucking the middle class so now families have to work two parents several jobs just to afford living, where 70% of the population in america has less than 500 bucks in savings and the vast majority of the population has a wealth of less than 40k, while having the technology to elevate all humans to a first world standart of living with clean technologies, recycling all pollution, cleaning the oceans, stoping rainforest destruction, all while spending less money humans spend on bottled water, because capitalism is a garbage system, but comunism even while being a good idea is retarded as well, all this while americans think black friday is a good idea simply because they give 40% discount ignoring some months before the prices increased by 40% and the fact they work their lives just to be alive and the goverment tax them so they stop saving money on 0% interest savings accounts so they gamble their wealth on stocks because that's good for the economy while they acquire chinese goods of poor quality using credit, because fuck the economy and fuck producing jobs and goods here, we're a financial service economy.
All while your country is in middle of drug addictions and my thirld world country is one of the most dangerous because prohibition is a good idea and clearly worked with alcohol.
Also, while your taxes goes to finance world wars and kills millions of childrens and forcing the displacement of humans to europe caused by americans, that are causing the rise of the extreme right on europe.
Also, I'm not even started on the child trackficking and pedophilia ring in Europe by muslims and the thirld world by clinton fundation and the hollywood pedo rings protected by the congress.

But yeah, I clearly could have some IRL friends.
I guess I could speak about the latest soap opera, or chinese cartoon, or the dumbed down radio music, or how my NT classified to world cup.

Most people I know are no diferent than animals, and the people that have doctorates and college profesors are no diferent than trained chimps.

But yeah, of course I can have IRL friends, is not like I see them on facebook talking about important shit.

My passion is real, and I've always considered myself diferent.
One of my first memories I have in school is turning my head back and watching the class and thinking something is wrong, is like they're sheeps.

You wonder why no one does anything and then speak the line you've been fed and bred to believe for most of your life without realizing it, and never once mentioned the root cause behind all the evil that you dislike.

Banks. Fractional Reserve Banking to be specific.

Our whole system is built to collapse and WILL once all the pieces are in place.

People aren't doing anything because they know it's not time yet.

Guys please, I'm saging for one reason. Could you post progress or something useful? This is /agdg/ you can continue your existential and political ramblings at Holla Forums or something.

our current economic system has a 45 year old debt bubble and we have quadrillions of derivatives that will basically destroy the global economy in less than five years.

ok, I'll fuck off to study algebra on youtube.

Communism can be suffered nowhere. I'll never forgive my ancestors for not fighting and dying in Poland like they should have, leaving me in this nu-roman hellscape. Blood and soil.

They can keep kicking the can down the road indefinitely. Probably. But maybe not.

The money they're priting doesn't even cover the interest of the new debt and the new debt doesn't even help to grow the real economy.

so no, we're fucked.

I'll shut up now.

The system doesn't exist. People are too self-interested and generally inept to come together and form a flawless "system" that so many tinfoil hats believe in. There's corruption, and there's minor scale conspiracy shit but no "system". The shit you're talking about comes from a partial symbiosis of popular culture industries - it seems like they're colluding but in fact they're just riding the tide of trends that they accidentally form by making something that catches on amidst an ocean of produced media.

It seems like it's all connected, but it only seems that way because when there's only so much space in the world, various industries have to live with and around one another.

All people are animals. They're born, live and then die. Most things we like to do are derived from our instincts, and the complex social interactions we have can be easily paralleled to the way animals interact. We're just a thoroughly upgraded version because we started evolving socially and intellectually at some point more than structurally.

There's no such thing as "important shit" and "unimportant shit". There' are large and small scale things, but mostly nothing lasts. Why are you blaming people for enjoying their lives? They can enjoy the latest soap opera or franchise - what's the harm? I guess if you drink Holla Forums koolaid you can rave on about degeneracy and etc. but frankly speaking that's ideological emotionally driven bullshit and if you're into that you're pretty far gone.

I think the irony here is that you think you stopped being brainwashed by globalists but here you are buying into Holla Forums doctrine. What's the fucking difference?

Roger that, I just tend to get hooked by autism easily.

you're a bluepilled idiot who is not even aware of his own slavery and should read more.

So, let's stop this discussion here.

You couldn't make it more obvious if you tried.

Christ.

yeah but I get to have the last word

no u

I was gonna say, lol fuck

I didn't mention anything of the tinfoil shit like reptilians and blood lines user, or the orion wars.

Guys can you give me autistic criticism about this animation I made a few months ago? I'm gonna be animating shit for my game pretty soon and I need to keep things in mind to make a solid improvement.

the mag getting stuck like that and the effort it looks like it takes to put it back in looks kinda shitty.
also i'm telling you right now that ADS animation would feel awful if put in a game.

you need to work on timing above everything else. your poses are okay, but the timing is too linear.

Unless you're making a post-apoc game where guns have rusted internals it shouldn't be that hard to get a clip in and out of your gun. Also the recoil force for a handgun with a slide is back then up, your animation just has the gun going up.
Even then it's too slow and linear like the other user said. The firing animation needs to be snappier. I'd recommend using the handgun animations from Far Cry 2 as a reference.

The recoil animation is very clunky and doesn't look right, it should be smooth. Your animations for an FPS should be fast and tight.

I do, I'm just not very good with animation curves yet. Some things are difficult to replicate fully.

Yep, transitions are my achilles' heel. I found a few tricks like offsetting rotation keyframes, but most of it eludes me, still.

Snappier, got it. I think I was a tad too careful with not making the gun look like it's made of plastic.

Yeah, the model is a salvaged, handcrafted gun. I made the mag get stuck because I wanted to give it that character.

Thanks, I guess I should stick with straightforward, simple movements.

can someone explain what the hell does the & operator does? not the && operator.

Lets say we are only dealing with single digit binary numbers, so either 1 or 0. & takes in two inputs and gives one output. The inputs must be 1 and 1 to output a 1. If it isn't 1 and 1 it outputs 0.
0&0=0, 1&0=0, 0&1=0, 1&1=1

Got it? Let's move on to larger binary numbers.
0101, 5 in decimal
1100, 12 in decimal
& goes down the line, performing the & operate between place value
In
Out
___0
In
Out
__00
In
Out
_100
In
Out
So 0101&1100=0100, or in decimal 5&12=4

testing some stuff with ncurses

Thanks, I knew that using "foo & 1 == 0" can be used as a faster way to find an even or odd number, but I didn't understand it. I finally understand.

Use diffrent bits as flags, then use & to test for the flags. This way, instead of using _Bool or bool in c++, you can just pack 8 bools into one byte.

Imagine the common programming pattern: flags = FLG_X | FLG_Y;

How do I test for these? if(flags & FLG_X)

How much would you guys program for 100$?

What do you want doing and what have you got to work with?

A procedurally-generated roguevania

Right now the stuff i'd need would be simple sounding stuff like:

walking around in fps

having a crosshair that starts doing an animation when it hovers over someone/thing that is interactable

Interacting with characters by hovering over them triggers a persona 4 esque textbox dialogue thingy

Events, as in story progress i guess

entering a room and shifting to a different camera where you can move the cursor around the area to interact with stuff, you can't move at all, so its kinda 2D? - basically like a point and click

yeah thats about it, what i have to work with is moving around in first person but theres no physics/gravity lol, so you kinda hover.

I'm not a complete idea fag, i want to take the role of a manager and also do simple 3D models for the interior and 'level design' (i just cant do stuff like humans and cars but i'm fine with furniture and such) - it'd be a story based game soo…

However i'm not hiring anyone yet, i just want to see how much money i'd need in total since i also need artists and writers!

You should try motivating people in your local area with similar interests or maybe doing a smaller project and then securing funding and partners later. It's quite easy to overwhelm yourself with work else. This sort of stuff would probably be fairly straightforward in UE4 if you wanted to go it alone, the program is designed for artists after all.

Don't know anyone whose into vidya or computer science

I don't really wanna do it alone though. doing art, programming etc just ain't my thing, so i wanna take the role of a director.

As is right now, i get around 100 dosh per month, so i'm looking for people who'll work for cheap.
Getting a job next year though that'll pay me 800/month and i plan on using that to pay my partners to make smol projects (i consider this one small as well since it'll be a VN tier """game""")

finishing up the LDJam project, my dude

well, after I return from work.

I would advise you to take this slow. First because you should probably think more about your idea before you end up blowing too much cash on it, second because you should at least learn the basics of game development in art/programming/etc, just by building tiny simple games. Things like Pong or Chess (no AI) or shit like that. Knowing that really helps a director.

What's your brief? I'm not disinterested in this, if you were willing to put together a spec I'd be willing to figure out what the fuck I'm doing. I'd like a chance to test my skills and learn some stuff before I try a project of my own. My own art is somewhat lacking anyway.
I'm pretty amateur as far as it goes though. I'm not super fussed about pay but it'd probably be a good motivator for me.
Been so long since I used 8ch that I can't figure out how to use the email field if it even still exists, feel free to drop me a brief at [email protected] (please no bully).
For reference I'm a comsci student and not a total amateur.

art or programming?

I'd be programming for you. The way I see it, if I contribute something to your project I get some cool experience and something to write on a portfolio. I would rather like to be paid if you're happy with my work but that can be arranged later, I'm interested to see what your pitch is to see if it's a good fit for me. If you could put together some documents explaining how your game is supposed to work and what you want done in what engine I could have a look at what's possible. I'm probably better suited to a 2D project than a 3D project though, but I'm willing to give it a try if I think you can pull off the directorial aspect.

I'll write down a summary of everything, gameplay and story and send it to you, i can also present my ideas in video format (fake gameplay essentially), give me like a day or so tho, might finish earlier.

That's cool. I can't promise I'll be able to help you, but writing all this stuff down should help you find a better direction regardless of the outcome.
Looking forward to (maybe) working with you.

Let's break this down, from my personal experience.
First person is the easiest kind of 3d.
Extremely easy.
Not terribly technical, but it would take a while to create.
This is a case by case basis kind of thing. Could be anywhere from relatively easy to difficult and complex. This would also most likely require the ongoing addition of code, whereas everything else you mentioned would just need maintenance and tweaking after they were implemented provided they were implemented by a programmer who wasn't utter shit.
Easy.

It looks like the time sink here is going to be writing, asset creation, and the code controlling story progression.
I'm also interested in this project, but I'm already busy enough I doubt I could contribute much.

my ascii rts is getting some progress, it's only playable on linux though

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFHHAHAHAHAHHAHH
you fucked that one up mate

Killer app to end Windows imperialism

For christ sake.

i'm not planning on releasing this game or anything.
the problem is that i'm making this game using curses, and curses only works in terminals

I was being moronic with regards to the DPRK/USA relations given that you posted a picture of Trump. I apologise for not making it more obvious.

No, but I'm gonna have an unhealthy amount of ryona in my game. It's a matter of course, not the main goal though.

Checked.

oh my god did I just witness a double murder?

Windows is just a better platform tbh, unix ecosystem doesn't really care about games, just that the game is "Open source", meanwhile the OS'es they make are not really designed for games… I mean compare X11 to Windows, it's obvious which one is better, especially for games- I mean X11 doesn't even have a standard way to do full screen, like you can try some tricks with it or try linking to xf86vm - it's just a big mess. and then there is the really poor situation with libraries and hardware accel- to the point where something like Debian Linux doesn't even have proper OpenGL without downloading a whole bunch of shit, and the drivers are a mess… because you are trying to figure out if you have the "free" drivers and the proprietary ones, and it's a rather confusing situation… now, GNU/Linux can run the games, it's just obviously not a factor that went into designing all of the systems that a game developer uses, unlike Windows, which has features that make game programming slightly easier to do.

Yes. Report it to your local police.

No, a single murder of an IP-switching spamfaggot. Good riddance.

Can anyone give me a quick nudge in the right direction? I'm trying to come up with a proper way to do a multislot Diablo-like inventory system, but I'm pulilng the retard card big time. What kind of data structure should the inventory itself be? Do I assign the item to the top left slot and simply flag all the other slots as occupied?

I dunno, this seems fairly simple to me in principle but I feel like I'm trying to eat a jawbreaker, this thing just wont fit into my fucking brainmouth. Send help? If you could outline the general look of the whole thing I can take it from there.

just like make it an array user

Consider this, there are only so many inventory slots, and the size doesn't change enough for arrays to not make sense… obvious choice.

You might think haha arrays are slow but until you have an inventory with over 500 slots (probably need more tbh) it is actually faster than a more advanced data structure because of the CPU caching it better because of the spatial locality

Finished swapping the upper leg sprites of the forward and backward running animations, forgot to upload. I've also added the lower legs to the right running animation, not sure if I like this method of doing upper legs then lower legs next.

I think I'm going to do an item spawning animation then get back to working on things I can code. I want to rip a turret (textures, models, animations) from Unreal Tournament and use it as a security camera that will shoot at you if it "cannot confirm identity". The player will have a flash bang item that they can deploy that will disrupt cameras or something, I dunno yet.

Hm, would it be stupid to break the inventory down into a two dimensional array - with the main array containing multiple arrays defining horizontal slots? I'm going the Stalker way and only really using the multislot as a way to help items feel more tangible - the real limit on the inventory is weight. I want the inventory to be infinitely expandable in theory.

For maximum speed, you want a 1d array in one big block. Although since this is just your inventory speed doesn't matter, just make it whatever you want

Thanks for advice. I'm not an experienced programmer and it's really fucking cool to have a bit of a safety net. I really appreciate it.

Sure thing, I guess the best way to rewrite my post is that, If its something that doesn't get updated every frame, then speed doesn't matter. Also in general the inventory is simply so small in memory that the amount of processing power you spend on it also isn't significant. So, it's really just about whatever you are comfortable with writing the most especially as an inexperienced programmer

You should try out the 2d array, that would probably be the best way to implement it conceptually.

you just need your item to have an initial space, a width and a height, you have to be careful for it to visually "fit" the spaces

however, since you're trying to make it infinite, you should first decide if it's gonna be vertically infinite or horizontally infinite, it can't be both

Thanks! I've decided to go with the vertical. Lengthy horizontal mouse movements when interacting with the UI are uncomfortable to most people.

user, I think he meant when using two dimensional arrays of standard size

what are you talking about?

Forgot to post some progress last night. Took a break from bug fixes to add water and swimming.

it CAN be both but picture yourselves navigating through a menu that expands endlessly you pewdiepie subscribers

Okay "Henry"

ok, kid

It's a bitch figuring out how parse json with Argo. I have yet to get a single file read, but I did play with changing the scale of models being rendered, not that it looks great because the camera remained the same and the hitbox as well.

user please don't mod minecraft anymore, just don't waste your time. Go learn C++ and do make gaem

Do you have a final objective with this or are you just making things as you see fit? If you do have a final objective, do you mind sharing?

At least it's not like XNA when drawing fonts

People aren't wrong about anime anatomy not being compatible with normal anatomy. So if you are making some 3d model, you will see some weird shit if com I reference anime images.

For my original Shinobu model, I traced the front and side as it was my first model and didn't know shit about anatomy. And in retrospect she looks like a deformed warped mess. After I applied 3dpd anatomy I saw huge improvements when she deformed. Especially her face. I still have a long way to go but I can feel the improvements clearly.

If you only use anime images*

Careful user, I don't want to go to prison.

The aim is for something that plays vaguely like Hexen meets Diablo. So traditional FPS in feeling with things like equipment/loot system with affix based items (I've already done that but it's a separate prototype), skill trees, assembled areas made from chunks, and so on. With easy mod support so people can add custom stats, items, enemies and areas. I should write this up properly and add it to the wiki page or something.

Did that answer your question or do you mean more like setting and such?

I really need to learn how to do this for a future project. Eg, making certain tiles/sets snap together like lego

Just look up still renderings of nude DoA bitches. I didn't use pizza you fool.

it was a joke desu

Fixed the face

ok so if I have a quaternion representing my controller rotation for the player's input, and I have a direction of movement, how can I apply the delta of change in movement direction to the quaternion so the camera looks as though I'm on rails? I need this for a specific mechanic dammit, why am I not one of those rainmen who just understand shit

Don't feel too bad, quaternions are hard.
As for your question, I think you want your camera to look in the direction you're moving? Your way of explaining it is rather hard to figure out. If I'm right, you want to use some form of LookAt function from cameraPos to cameraPos + MovementDir. If there's no such function, here's a C# implementation you can reference:
stackoverflow.com/questions/12435671/quaternion-lookat-function/17654730#17654730

I want the camera to feel as though it's attached to a platform that turns to match the direction of movement. Basically, I want to make the player look in a certain direction but still retain the ability to aim.

Thanks for the link, I'm gonna take a look.

How can it be so hard to make a cowboy hat look good?

Looks fine to me. Seems proportionally correct.

cool hat, pardner

Front brim is too short, along with the "stove" not being longer in the front and back.

Keep working hard, make something great!
Then make something better next time!
And the next one even better!

put holes into your hat then it looks extra cool

im trying to follow this reference, but i think the bigheadness of an anime character demands a slightly different model

When im done adding details to this hat it will look like something out of JoJo

I think its your brim. to much curl/not enough curl. when the sides go up the front and back tip down. In your model everything tips up, not how hats work. could also just flated the whole deal, also authetic hat, less common

Thats probably it, i will try a few different ideas, thanks

Meanwhile, I just finished the graphics for Wisp, so I'll probably use him as my placeholder player for now

Oh I'm not modding it, technically.
I'm trying to fix the source, and open it up to load everything from configs, giving vanilla a universal API accessible to everybody.
No more modloaders, no more id conflicts, no more bullshit.
I'm halfway to having blocks and recipes loaded from a json file, recipes are already handled in a way that's easy to modify, but blocks were another matter, requiring reducing the constructor classes down to a few generics that can be reused and block drops were further simplified by a new class to make a hashmap of blocks and what they should drop. Parsing json is what's holding me back currently, Argo is used to write and read json currently, for stat tracking (achievement bullshit). I have to create a new class to read/write json for the recipes/blocks because they will have so many options. Other things could use a re-implemented cfg reader that is used for simple options.

But won't it break if MC updates?
Or are you saying that your mod will work canonically from a specific base version?

I want to fuck wisp

I haven't kept up with Minecraft in a very long time. Didn't Kikrosoft rework the entire game in a new engine for the Better Together thing and break all old mods? Are you making this for that update, or for an older version?

You need to be more clear and lay out what you have and what you want.

You also need to take into consideration what kind of rotation you want. If you want to rotate from vector a to vector b, then both {r,i,j,k} and {-r,-i,-j,-k} perform the same rotation. Not only that, if you are rotating a half circle (180 degrees), then there are an infinite amount of different quaternion rotations possible.

you could make the delta yourself, it's just numberbefore - numbernow

I'm working with a specific version, but there wont be much point to updating once the API is made, it should make backporting new content a breeze.
There would be very little that cannot be done through the API.

funny joke, I'm working on an old version before a bunch of useless shit was added to bloat the code base, when the client and server were still separate entities. There's still a lot of shit I don't understand at all, but I've learned quite a bit about how things work and how to change them.

the problem isn't the delta, it's quaternions. I just don't have a lot of experience with them.

That's the windows 10 version, which is identical to the mobile AKA pocket edition version. It's made in C++, has a bunch of quirks in redstone, and has a few other blocks. The original java version is still being supported and is in fact still the main version.

i assume you're using unity, you have to feed 4 float numbers to it, try drawing a tree of how you're gonna do it

Quick question, surely laptop integrated graphics (hd 620) is decent enough for 3d mobile game development with Unity, with 8gb ram, right?
I know integrated graphics are pretty shit, but this situation wouldn't ask for much right?

use composition. define a different class for each behavior, and then have each object set its behavior property to an instance of whatever relevant behavior class. That has the added benefit of allowing you to change behavior at runtime, if you want.
is there an issue with this?

I thought by definition these two excluded each other.
Either way, it looks like this is the best approach anyways

Okay yeah, this was my issue

What's weird is that I'd have 200 types with singleton instances of Behavior, and one type with 200 instances of Entity. I could combine them but it still feels weird having that many types

Unreal. Most of my problems come from misunderstanding of how quaternions work but I guess I'll just read up on it.

Post the cliff notes version. All I can find online are

Ok the Ludum Dare project is done. Time for sleep. Hope you dudes have fun playing it.

shodanon.itch.io/mr-gigafist-ludum-dare-49
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/mr-gigafist-a-post-apocalyptic-brawling-adventure

Well I'm guess I'm just gonna go fucking kill myself then.

Discord Ludum Dare group here. Here's a link to our game.

Ludum Dare Page
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/sniper-protector
64 bit
volafile.org/get/rch3NGc4mhN-/Windows_x86_64.zip
32 bit
volafile.org/get/rckbjGkWBPca/Windows_x86.zip

That's the shit, mang

How do I make a standalone game in GZDoom?

All the resources I can find are for modding Doom and making .wads and .pk3s. Is a "standalone" game in this engine just a fancy Doom mod with original assets?

Manlet Simulator got me inspired.

Been lurking here for a little while, first time posting. Has anyone done any VR stuff? A while ago my very first project making a game was a VR game on mobile devices. The concept was to have the player be a machine gunner who would hold back waves of enemies from crossing the trench, if x amount of enemies crossed the trench, you lose. Since it was VR, I tried to make it so that where you looked, you fired your gun using a bluetooth controller (just a simple button press). The game never was fully finished, and this build does not have the overheating mechanic and enemy model.

My question is should I try and redo this concept but make it a sourcemod instead (I know that people have complaints about Source, but I want to try out developing for that engine, or should I make another mobile game using Unity that being a puzzle shooter much like the game "Block Lives Matter", which I feel would really suit the mobile platform.

Vid related is an early build of my game, though please excuse the shit quality of it, that is the fault of the screen recorder and I was holding the phone freehand rather than having it on my head using a controller, plus the gramaphone is only for the menu screen, not for the gameplay.

props to you for creating actual objects for the bullets instead of using raycasts

The only problem I saw with them is performance when firing rapidly, in the later builds they were optimized to despawn after a certain distance. Plus it helps the player to figure out where they are shooting.

Worked for Cuphead

Wait a minute, that windmill…

ouch

So I was that guy building a game with a transforming mecha/plane hybrid.
I had been wanting to make it multiplayer, but I fucking hate Unity's netcode frameworks because of all of the MAGIC that it relies on and stuff it does for you that I don't fully understand. I had some Proof of Concept multithreaded netcode stuffs that I had wanted to use, but it wasn't up to snuff. I went and fleshed it out a bit.
I have a pretty simple RPC layer under everything. I wrote a fairly simple data synchronization layer on top of that, server writes some data to some collection, and delta updates are sent out to clients that are subscribed.
Then I reworked everything to use a composition system based on modules.
Then there's some fairly basic RPC communication happening for the login/clicks, handled within the modules. I think I can get something fairly robust out of what I have. Next step is to write basic chat and entity systems.

Goddamn it, this was a 3 mb MKV with higher quality before I turned it into a WEBM, guess I'll just start recording in mp4

I am convinced that glute bones are essential for a game rig. It helps A LOT with maintaining volume of the butt when the legs bend and very cheap and easy at the cost of 1 bone. It is difficult finding info for alleviating heavy distortions and volume for game rigs. I did see people saying that you should keep the number of bones to no more than 4 for a weighted paint area or else it induces performance losses on engines like Unity. I don't doubt it's similar in Unreal.

Pic related is one cheek with and the other without. The glute copies the negative upperLegControl rotation X at 50% so it's nicely automated.

Hello people, I am wondering, since I am getting some commissions on 3D stuff I need an alternative to PayPal, they no longer allow personal payments between me and my client and it really eats a chunk of my payments, anyone?

Hey, that is agreat idea, maybe it should also be applied to other places like calves.

I tried it out on the knees and it was not as good as I thought it would have been. In fact it introduced strange gummy like feeling to the leg and the volume gained was not worth an extra bone. For that I just moved the mesh forward so the calf is farther than the leg's pivot point.

Image: left leg is without the bone trick. Right is normal. It did gain roundness in volume but a lot less than the glutes. I considered it not worth it.

oh well, in any case the butt joints seem like a great idea.

Man, that's just, wasted talent right there. Like, having the abilities of Da Vinci or something and deciding to draw calarts cartoons.

It sucks. :^)
But for actual info
>Drop the retarded shit you're doing with the draw animation. You don't cock the slide like that when drawing the gun like some hollywood movie or shitty game. YOU ARE EJECTING A ROUND WHEN YOU DO THAT. If anything, turn off the safety.

Some guns have a little "catch" with the mag release so the mag doesn't just fall on the ground. The insertion looks like it's doing the Battlefield-style "cool" double tap to put it in.

A window that pops up and says "hello world". What kind of fiverr type game are you playing at? High skill work demands high pay.

Do you know the difference between a pwad and an iwad? If not, learn it. For it to be a standalone game, it needs to be an iwad.

Actually, Unity has a very robust Euler-bases system for converting understandable Vector3 values into quaternion black magic. Shouldn't Unreal have that as well?

Gonna leave you guys a nice comment on the LD site sometime later.
How did you guys get to gether on Discord? Do we have a channel now? Or was it a spontaneous thing I missed in the threads?
I also realized one of you dudes made that hypercube game for LD before. Good job that was

anyway, that rendertexture on the scope looks promising.

how does Source handle VR?

with a motion gimmic, that might turn out cool

actually, has really good points. I'd watch at least a few videos showcasing how pistols are operated. What pistol is that, anyway? If it's something fictional, that mag ejecting mechanic ain't at all out of place.

all husbands end up saying that at some point in their marriage JK

good question. I keep thinking that MoM should become a standalone release on Steam for example.

Okay so I did some research:

Internal WAD, contains complete game data (Doom 1 and 2, Hexen, etc are IWADS)

Patch WAD, used for singular levels or small sprite replacements etc

So I understand why you would need a complete IWAD in that case. Now, how do you get GZDoom to load your custom IWAD by default? Do you have to name your IWAD Doom2.wad? can you define a default startup wad for the engine? Also what are the legalities of selling the IWAD as a complete game? I assume if the IWAD contains all original assets that would be fine, but it still needs GZDoom to run, and aren't there legal issues with selling that?

Adding water made me want to add rain too, so made a little system to add weather effects to sectors.

Oh yes it did. I was just afraid you were just another aimless enginefag.

They use the same drawing and surface collision as proper projectiles for now and since things like snow and leaves will be able to change sectors by moving.

That's understandable since I've not posted a lot for the real game part. I'm kinda planning on showing name idea, protagonist sketches and general art stuff all at once to help get feedback on if it all fits.

I have another suggestion.

Let's say you have an InventoryItem type that defines an instance of an item residing in an inventory. This will have two members, Pos2D (integers) and a reference to a Shape. A shape is the configuration of slots that are covered and has one member function: bool Intersects(Shape other, Pos2D offset); which returns whether this shape at 0,0 intersects the shape other at pos offset. The offset is computed by taking the difference between this items pos and that items pos. You could construct a new shape for each item or you could fetch one from a cache of shapes. The inventory is then just a list of InventoryItems that you add/remove from. To check if an item can be placed at a location, iterate over all items and check for intersections. If one is found, return false. At the end, return true. To find the item the cursor is over, do the same except with a 1x1 shape at the mouse pos and return the found shape, or none. If you ever need more performance (you won't), replace the list with a suitable spatial partitioning data structure.

it also lets you scale up that booty

Sounds fun

Forgot to remove the flag

What do?

work on a few jams and sideprojects. I don't feel as attached to my old code anymore

fuck yeah my dudes. The gameplay would need tweaking, the aiming needs to be more precise and intuitive, I found it hard to reacquire my targets and aim for the enemies in later stages of the game, when there were two and/ore more

there's also a strange behavior on the 0% cool dudes, I captured it in vid related. They would stand hehind the cover and not walk from behind it, stopping the gameplay

Did you make the assets? they are breddy gud.

Start something else. Smaller this time.

Hat 30% done

Yo, MoM user here again with another mini vid update. This time showing off the changes with the skeletons, which replaces their sword and shield weapons with a blade gun weapon. This allows them to have more variety of types of skeletons, such as the Gunner and Slugger Skeletons featured here. They are heavily inspired by Blood cultists!

What are you making? Rewriting stuff you already figured out is not as bad as restarting from scratch. Maybe try to do something else, like go for a walk to clear your head.

7 years of devving, retrying, and a useless $12000 2 year compsci degree, paid off

I think I've got a project I can finish and polish and share. You really do need to start small, then cut your expectations by half, because feature creep happens and things can change.

The cultist like movements are neat. The enemies look a bit small to me though or is that intentional?

This is for the MC right? Is the full game going to be third person then, while you manage your faeries?

Small in what way?… they are the same as as the player, sprite wise!

yes, third person, the faerie village administration will be an UI window, also you will be able to see the faeries helping in your farm

Maybe it's just the size of the room throwing me off.

Can you pat their heads while they're farming?

i don't see why not, but won't be up there in the priority list

Adam Garos Don Gran initials done

c'mon guys, try to beat my high score

I can't really run Unity games on my laptop. I set everything to lowest as it can go and got SILKY SMOOTH 30 fps on the menu but it dropped and got really choppy as soon as I killed the first wave of people

Intel graphics, yes? Even my GTX 260 runs this shing relatively smoothly until the physics kicks in heavily.

Hope you had fun, though.

I should have added an FPS counter

R8 me honestly anons, please

soundcloud.com/user-255533427/paddington

pretty fucking bland and rather bloody basic tbh, I suggest remixing using more instruments tbh

Even the end is basic? hm
Thanks tho, user.

very much so

Sounds good. It wouldn't cause me turn off the game. I like middle portion the most, sounds like good JRPG battle music if somewhat more optimistic in mood than I'd expect. Depending on what accompanies the track visually and narratively it could make for a memorable experience or scenes.

Piano-only songs can work, but you need to have a strong, memorable melody Right now, you don't really have that. The first 15-ish seconds are okay, but only if they build up to something. If you ever catch yourself whistling a melody you wrote, you know you've done a pretty good job.

That, and your piano-instrument sounds like it's the default midi soundfont sound.It doesn't sound like a real piano, nor does it sound good in it's own right, it just sounds crappy.

Whatever comes with a Lenovo Thinkpad T420

It was spontaneous. We're talking about closing it pretty soon.
That was me who made the Hypercube. Finish your sentence goddamn it, I want to know what it was.

The strange behavior is most likely because the AI pathfinding intelligence was turned way down to avoid frying any toasters that try to run the game as you get more and more 0% cool dudes.
I personally didn't make any of the 3d assets, but yes the 3d models and textures were made in house by our 3d modeler/texture guy.

I am fucking retarded and can't apply any godot tutorials on pathfinding to my own shit please end my life since I'm too retarded to figure out how to do it myself

are you the person who was suggested A*?

post some examples of path finding you want to do, perhaps I can help explain the basics of pathfinding algorithms (which should be universally applicable, not just to godot)

I tried making terrain in Unreal 1

I keep fucking up anything with a heuristic

I'm just trying to edit what others have done to have a character follow a mouse where mine is something following the player but I'm retarded and it just ends up running against a wall unless the player moves around.

Okay, let me start at the beginning.

The simpler kind of pathfinding is with a static, fully known environment. This means there may be obstacles like walls, but there is a clear start point and a clear end point and those DON'T change once the pathfinding has started.

So you're just finding the shortest route from A to B. you need to be able to establish a grid of your room's floor. Make sure this grid has data in the cells that indicate whether it is walkable, an obstacle, the start position, and the end position.

The VERY SHITTIEST way to find the path is to start from the origin and create a tree of all possible paths on walkable ground until you find one that gets you to the goal. This is shitty because it is very inefficient, meaning it will take a lot of time/space to find a path, and when you do find a path there is no guarantee that you have found the optimal path. I would not recommend this as your final solution but if you need it just to test you can try it.

For a static environment, a good algorithm to use is probably A-star (A*). you can use this website here which helps you visualize a lot of different algorithms to see how they look as they do the pathfinding.
qiao.github.io/PathFinding.js/visual/

Now dynamic environments are a little more tricky. I suspect since you want something following a player, this is the situation you are going to be faced with. You can still use the basic ideas behind A-star (or whatever algorithm you choose). Essentially, read the grid and find the best path to the goal. But you won't be doing this only once in a dynamic environment. In a dynamic environment, you will essentially do a grid search, find the best path, and make one move towards the goal. Then when the next time it comes to move (usually the next frame), do the search again and find the new best path to the goal. Essentially every frame is a different search and you update the start position as the object moves.

I recommend you google and do some research on A-Star and Djiktra's algorithms, as understanding those will help you immensely. Let me know if you want more detail.

I got it to work by directly importing the tilemap that other project was using. I think I'm missing something when I'm setting it up.

It sounds like you don't understand the code you're using to do this. You mentioned you copied this from somewhere? You can post it here and I'll see if I can help you figure out how it works. I'm not sure what you mean by importing the tilemap, however.

I do understand it and that's why its been so confusing. I think I've just been missing something with the tilemaps.

what did he mean by this?

So I want my puzzles/boards to have both an easy mode and a hard mode.

The game I'm borrowing from had 3 requirements for a puzzle to be solved on hard:

I was also thinking of having a target score you need to beat as well - collecting gems, destroying monsters, and being fast would contribute to this.

It's running on the first Unreal engine, so "Unreal 1". Are you serious user?

No shit UT99 uses the Unreal Engine 1.0, this game even ships with working U1 monsters, weapons and items for some reason. Unreal 1 is usually referred to the game itself which had a actual SP campaign, unlike UT99 and after that whose campaign is just a fixed set of bot matches.

If it's an iwad, you just drag and drop it/use a BAT file/etc. and it will run. GZDoom autodetects if you have multiple iwads in the same directory when trying to open a pwad so it knows what the iwads are. Having the "Executable" for your game be a script file that passes the right arguments to open the game should do the trick.
Technically, the source code is open source, you could probably sell the iwad if it was 100% new content and 0% iD assets, but for the engine, that's another problem. Linking to it would be fine, but including it bundled with your iwad would need some sort of agreement with Graf Zahl. Not likely considering he's a cunt.

God damn, why can't Graf step down instead. But no he has to come back anyway despite he nuked his repo some time ago.
GRAF ZAHL IS A NIGGER YES I AM MAD

Its funny, since I wanted to ask Graf about that in regards to MoM. He never gave me a reply back though, when I sent him a note about it on the forums.

People really don't seem to like Graf, do they?

I was referring to the engine. I was using UT99 mostly because i can find more people editing for it specifically. Otherwise i could do much the same in UG or any other Unreal engine game including Deus Ex.

Ive been contimplating making a TC mod for UG/UT thats a 3D mascot platformer so i'm just learning the editor.

Thats because UT99 was originally just an expansion pack for Unreal. It was made standalone late in development. It was originally made solely to fix the broken netcode the game originally shipped with. Which they later did with the Gold version.

I am pissed off the fact that GZDoom "main selling point" is that they brag around that it is a modern engine with modern rendering methods but it has a lot of flaws, it is not using any OpenGL 3.0 features in any serious way. I am going to name some:
-Shadow maps looks like shit, it is not working at all on outdoor maps for some reason
-no support for better model formats like iqm (intermediate quake model) instead it supports .md2, .dmd (based on .md2), and md3 which is pretty old by now
-PBR is a fucking standard now and the only fucking textures GZDoom supports for models is diffuse one only and that's fucking it, there is no bump mapping support at all
-Dynamic light is still broken and has the same bleeding issue for ages which makes it look like shit
-Shitty bloom feature nobody asked for with hidden strength settings

And to add more salt to the wound, read this shit: forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=56740
this is the main reason why I do not want to touch this garbage with a 10 meter stick anymore, fuck this shit I am done with it. God damn even older 3D games at this point have better graphics than the shit fest GZDoom is. But Graf Zahl with his arcane knowledge said that OpenGL 2.0 is stone age tier now and only Vulkan GPU's are worth shit these days despite there are no Vulkan games out there yet.

Here is the proofs that Graf did nuked his repo some time ago: archive.fo/fToCU

t. modeller pro

Because he's a gigantic cunt and act like a bitch to everyone.
Especially on bug reports
You might want to skim through GZDoom bugtracker and the forum bug reports to get the whole picture of this asshat.

Also GZDoom in general is a pure garbage, see
doomworld.com/forum/topic/50624-fastest-opengl-source-port-engine-for-wads/?do=findComment&comment=867957
zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99089#p99089

Vid related, performance on real sourceport, in zdoom/gzdoom nuts.wad grind down to 0 fps even on strongest PCs out there.

Hmm. I am slightly concerned now; while MoM is suppose to be not graphically intensive, I hope it doesn't give most people issues in regards to the fact I am using GZDoom.

I must wonder too; he seems to dislike mods that are of TC variety, or so people have told me. Why does he focus on an engine that allows the creation of TC mods easier, then?

Heh we linked to same doomworld thread, guess that one grafs bitchfit shitfest will be never forgotten by the dood community :^)
Oh god thanks for reminding me
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=57253
It will be hilarious if he actually managed to make it, imagine him saying "Nope, you need at least 2016's graphic card to run GZDoom now!"
Also all the Nudoom 4 Vulkan renderer vs GZDoom Vulkan renderer performance charts would be hilariously bad, for Graf

Perhaps because ZDoom was the only port out there that had somekind of popularity and lacked hardware renderer, low barrier of entry-high level of internet gratitude and fame kind of deal I suppose.

Man, I gotta get me some 3d learning in
twitter.com/twitter/statuses/938078284574838786

(checked)
Whatever floats your boat my man.

That's interesting, I haven't read about that at all. That would explain why it is shipping with some U1 content.

I guess in this case just make sure that MoM can run in software mode, like so that it doesn't look awfully bad since you are using a lot of sprites, and no heavy reliance on dynamic lighting I guess. You are in better position regarding that since you are using a lot of sprites instead of models. So I guess the only downside with that is you wouldn't be able to hack in a ground decal in that rendering mode because Graf is too much busy fiddling with Vulkan code instead of adding things like proper ground decal support, jesus man.

I have never read those story at all, care to share some link about it or something? If that's the case then I would like to know the answer to your question too.

Its just what quite a few doom friends have told me. I do not know if they is any truth to it.

Also, While MoM doesn't use that many dynamics lights, it does use quite a few 3D models. All Low poly mind you, but I wasn't aware this was a concern I was going to deal with. I should point out though, that the current version of GZDoom will be the only one I will be using at this point.

Well well look here. forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=893134#p893134
Now everything makes sense, he can't write graphic code for shit. But he can afford to share some enlightening and intellectual comment such as that Vulkan is better than OpenGL. At least he can claim his shitty nigger port is modern because he enforces the OpenGL version 3.0 but graphical wise he can't do shit since he is primarily a "application programmer". WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU WORKING ON A OPENGL PROJECT IF YOU KNOW JACKSHIT ABOUT IT THEN, GOD DAMN.

Actually that sounds plausible: forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=56634&sid=58b7c3d35f4dcb88b92735cdca9c094e&start=15#p1010906

Polycount is less of a issue since the Software render* can't display any models at all, so in this case give them sprites just like you did with everything else.
*It is actually possible but no Doom source port programmer gives a shit about it.

LISA: The Painful has inspired me to want to create a post apocalyptic/taking-place-during-an-apocalypse game. It will not take place in the same universe as LISA, and it will not have the same 2D jump-up and jump-down movement system. I'm trying to think of how to build the world before I even fucking touch RPG maker. Also, I'm going to pirate whatever RPG Maker version I choose, because that shit is fucking expensive.

Wish me luck.

I did most of the models, textures, and animations, including some that were cut from the game
forgot to add a license but, consider them cc0
github.com/Patchcoat/LudumDare40

Man I feel retarded, I've been working on this for 2 hours and it still looks shitty.

It's supposed to be a winged boot in profile

It probably would be fairly easy to re-write it to use OpenGL 1.1 features only. Also, how can you "not support most of the OpenGL 1.1 features"? I don't get what that's referring too.

The toe part of the boot looks a little too small, and it looks like someone took a bite out of the bottom part. Everything else is good.

Do you want it to be a static image of a boot or do you want it to imply the motion that it will grant the user?
Because at the moment it looks like you're trying to do both.
Find the curve of motion for the action you want to define, and follow it, or just do a simple boot.

I think the heel is too big, and I'm not sure what the vertical line to the left of the toes if for.

Using this as a reference

I see what you're going for, trying to imply the kinetic tension stored in the ball of the foot and pushing up as a spring. The problem is your stock image isn't quite in profile, which is probably throwing you off. I did a quick edit that might help.

Here's what I did in the meantime

Fucking nice. Now it doesn't look so fucking derpy.

user, that doesn't even look like a fucking boot anymore. It looks like a Christmas sock with a wing on it.

I'm currently fucking around in paint.net. I'm trying to come up with character designs while also giving myself some practice. The blue rectangles are supposed to be outlines for me to build the character over.

Better?

If you want it to look like an actual boot, use . It looks fine, but it still looks like a sock.

Being a one-man dev is suffering.

Add a sole to the boot, it will help it look less like a sock.

just end it and start a new project, i ended up uploading half baked game to a store just for the sake of to probe you can finish a project

Old, new, and reference. Mine's in the middle

tbh I don't really care if it's realistic. It looks cool, that's really all I care about. Fiction is cooler than reality, anyway. I'm fully aware I'm ejecting a round by pulling the slide back fully, I just don't really care because CHA-CHICK when pulling the handgun out is satisfying as fuck.

That's a salvaged semiauto from Rust - I got it from the official development kit because I needed models to animate. Also yeah, I do check references, I'm just not 100% caught up on the animation curves yet.

Yeah, I basically went with the first one, with the wing from the second

I'm having a retarded issue with Godot and keyboard input. I'm using Input.is_key_pressed to set the player's velocity, and that works fine with the arrow keys - it detects when they're pressed and when they're released. It doesn't work when I test the shift key - Input.is_key_pressed(KEY_SHIFT) always returns true after shift has been pressed once, and ignores subsequent releases, presses, and combinations with other keys.
Has anyone run into this before? Is there any sort of workaround I can use, or am I missing something about using modifier keys for input?

you are supposed to set actions in the project settings then use is_action_pressed( instead

Thanks, I didn't know about setting actions. Unfortunately binding an action to shift still doesn't want to detect when shift is released.

You need to define the input(event) method. Here's a tiny sample project:
my.mixtape.moe/lejrql.7z

What version of the engine did you build that against? It's still not detecting the shift release event on 2.1.4 stable for me.

I like the flying sock look. It looks better than any of the boots you drew.
I think the boots would look better if you gave the sole more definition. Look at the heel of >>13925214; the arch's cutout is completely perpendicular to the heel and to the ground when flat, and the bottom of the heel is at a 45 degree angle to the ball/toe of the foot because it's bent. Compare this with the heel of , where the cutout is basically nonexistent, and the heel is parallel to the toe despite being bent in the same way.

For fuck's sake.

haha, Grammar fart. "It was a good job", sorry. The 4 hour sleep got to me. I really liked that one and praised the hell out of it.

Ah, we had to deal with that too with the cacti.

Fucking awesome, my man! The city is in fact a great inspiration for me. I never ever knew how to do roads
I actually found the pathfinding bug useful, it allowed me to explore the city. A really amazing job. I was kinda gobsmacked that all that attention went into making the city that most people won't see, even if crouchjumping out of the window is a feature.

Who made the music?

You are too kind.
I was half joking when I said that in the Ludum Dare comments, if that's where you were getting that from. It wasn't intended, but I knew about well in advance. The fact that it's possible wasn't a bad thing so I left it in.
Though I was only one of two active programmers on the team. I don't know why the other guy left it in.
The music is just some free to use stuff off the Internet. Searching for "Bussy Beat - Silent Partner" should get you want you want.
The beginning vaguely reminded me Force Marker out of the Heat soundtrack so decided it was the best option for something that would fit the theme kind of.

I'd be more than happy to help out with a tailored soundtrack if you're interested, had my music featured in a very famous game (can't mention it here due to linking back to name). Even studying programming at the moment too, although I doubt I could help with that. Greatly support this kind of creative game. if you have an email or any other disposable way of contacting I can throw you over some examples.

sorry, meant for

Working on a HL2 level for The Hammer Cup 2017: www.runthinkshootlive.com/posts/the-hammer-cup-2017-challenge-5-fusionville/

Probably going to put out a playable demo tomorrow.

probably related:
github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/12993

I'm flattered, honestly, but there aren't plans to further develop the game.
Here's the discord if you want to talk with the team, we'll be shutting it down pretty soon.
discord.gg/GSkSfm
Or if you don't trust that here's a 10 minute mail account I'll be refreshing.
[email protected]

good wished in lucked my friendo

That's slow as shit

about the city, the short answer is that i was overcompensating, before the jam we had a practice jam, in which i couldn't be as useful as i knew i could be.

the city is made of two parts, the near and far part, originally the city was going to be just a few blocks, so i did the first part by hand, this was the morning of the second day, here and that was pretty much every prop we needed.
the second part, is more technical, the streets is just a flat object that extends for a km in each direction, the blocks themselves is
the rest is pretty much "painting" the city in engine, if you had never practiced painting your textures i recommend doing that, as it requires a completely orthogonal/zero perspective mindset. other exercises are to grab a street and to reproduce the idea of that street.
some stuff i didn't do there, bevel the corners (ctrl+shift+b) to give that rounded look; use remesh and skin wrap modifier to make your blocks/streets follow an sculpted terrain

yay

That Split kick is going to be a pain to animate in a dress. looks good to me though.

Here are some more run animations. Two more then blah blah

Glad to see another Unreal modder! UT99.org is still active and there is info there. Check out the BeyondUnreal wiki and look for posts of a guy that has a massive Unreal guide (LannFyre). It is a ton of saved pages in a dropbox.

Get Unreal Gold and use it's map editor, then import your maps into UT99's editor (MAKE SURE NOT TO PLACE ANY ACTORS ON THE MAP, SUCH AS GUNS, LIGHTS, ETC, USE UNLIT MODE) for better geometry. Unreal Gold 227i has a massive map editor overhaul, with the added ability to add Static Meshes (can be used to replace geometry for less BSP cuts).

Here are some pointers. Look up Semi Solid Brushes and how they operate. Look up how zones cut BSP as well as additive/subtractive brushes do also cut. Subtract a room then add semi solid brushes, don't intersect them. I don't remember what all they shouldn't do, but look it up. Remember to build all brushes with the default bubbles texture as this will save file size for textures not seen due to brush building. Make sure to do zone cuts for visibility, and if you are going to have multiple floors of a building or whatever in a map, look up zone portals and how to build geometry properly. Can you post a view of the editor that shows the BSP view (the view that shows wire frames of brushes on map)?

only done 150/400
kill me

Anybody know if there's a standard method to save an actor's current state to a data type in UE4? I really don't want to create a new struct whenever I want to save data of an item I pick up.

New struct as in a new struct for every new item class, given there are new variables to save.

should i move the holes to the edges?

I think the holes should be texture-based rather than geometry-based

i think the few extra triangles are worth it, the holes are low poly

Calling serialize on an uObject (parent class of almost every single thing in UE4) spits out a binary blob named FArchive I think.
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/API/Runtime/CoreUObject/UObject/UObject/Serialize/index.html
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/API/Runtime/Core/Serialization/FArchive/index.html

There's a tutorial on saving and loading data involving this by Rama, but the actual part you need (before saving the data to hard drive) is skipped over:
wiki.unrealengine.com/Save_System,_Read_&_Write_Any_Data_to_Compressed_Binary_Files

I have no idea what I'm talking about to be honest.

Thanks, user. This is a good lead.

I tried to archive BU, it just looks like it's about to die at any second, feels bad man

Weren't you LannFyre? I tried adding him on Steam but never got a response back

I do wanna use UG over UT99 since I'd rather make a big total conversion mod to turn the game into a 3D platformer.

Again, look up LannFyre on UT99.org. I have a huge dropbox archive of a bunch of topics, from UScript to map editing to lighting to bits and so on.

I am, didn't know people tried adding me on Steam. I'm "C:/…/Anubis.exe", leave a comment or something and I'll add you.

I'd heavily recommend it. Post progress too, Unreal mods are awesome. Before you get started though, look up the UScript in Pawn, PlayerPawn, Viewport, ScriptedActor, NavigationPoint, and subclasses of these. If you're gonna do total conversion mod, you need to know UnrealScript.

Why the fuck is the texture suddenly stretched like that in the UV space?

Also it looks way better without those faggy feathers

seriously… it was not like this a few minutes ago, in the end seems like everything is fine, but still makes me worry

His shit OGL renderer mostly relies on 1.1 specs feature level, yet he started enforcing briefly OGL version 3.0 to even start GZDoom, despite that his engine runs in fixed pipeline mode [OGL 1.x] and not in shader based mode [OGL 3.x].
He didn't even allow people to create their own custom fragment shaders and post processing shaders [one of biggest OGL 3.x + GLSL selling points] because he's an ass refusing to update his GLDEFS to allow it, despite that community implemented it in a fucking fork of QZDoom, and before that even used a FMOD library injection hack to allow it in older GZDoom versions as well as in old Skullshit/Zandro.

Most of that went over my head, but I assume that basically, he's being a weasel and taking advantage of loopholes to be a cunt for no reason

Being megacunt is his way of life, it's even worse if you are part of a sourceport that is based on ZDoom/GZDoom, like ST/Zandro, where there's internal policy to maintain full backward compatibility with ZDoom/GZDoom -> when people find a bug that's part of ZDoom/GZDoom codebase they are asked to report it at ZD/GZD bugtracker, so it will be fixed there and then backported to Zandro.
With Graf in charge 99% of those bug reports get marked as Closed Wontfix/I don't give a fuck/Not worth my time to work on.
It worked far better before Graf took charge of ZDoom, as GZDoom renderer was only affected by his "code-pro" ways, now it's both of them.

Got some transmuter boxes done for art now. The blue ones are "negative" and the gold ones are" positive". It cycles through objects that are dropped into it in order, eg

And the opposite for blue transmuter

8ch.net/vm/res/1784.html

I don't really know how to do cross-board linking, but check out this topic. I made it with a bunch of info. Look up a guy called "Smear Kat" on Youtube, he has UT99 map maker tutorials and he is making more. If you lose any of the info, look up my agdg wiki page (RPGdev.u).

I'm familiar with his videos yeah

There's another guy who posted a ton of paid tutorials that used to be up on this one website in the early 2000s that includes stuff on Unrealscript and stuff like that.

new thread pls

Not until page 13 my dude.

Page 13, mate. As always.
It was page 12 for about two threads but then one of the mods threw a hissy fit and we're back to page 13.

I looked at his code, unfortunately it's C++ so its rather hard to follow. In general it seems cluttered with stuff, I'm unsure what he's really doing because the files are named badly, so I can't seem to find the files that do things like draw the walls. It seems like the kind of thing that should just be gutted and rewritten in C, or at least without using the object model…

It's important to point out that, because of the way the BSP works, Doom's rendering engine is fundamentally not going to take full advantage of modern card's speed. Since, BSP requires you to consider each wall individually, which is faster in software as well as on older graphics cards, but on modern graphics cards, it's actually faster to just let the card spew out polygons that it might not need too, since culling so aggressively is actually slower.

Retopo'd and unwrapped the turtle, will bake normal map later.
Making decent progress with Khan Academy, I'm up to 4th grade.

Careful, some of those videos are for Unreal 2k4. Not all the information is compatible.

Is doing a game all by yourself a lost cause /agdg/? Coding is such a Nemesis for me…

It's not impossible by any means, it's just all about persistence. What kinds of issues do you have with coding?

Only a lost cause with that attitude. If you really care about gamedev as something more than a hobby, you need to stay determined. Coding is my weakness but it's not something I see as impossible to learn. Try to learn with more than just a single source, though. It's nice to see the same concept stated in a few different ways, you're more likely to connect it with knowledge you already have.

I dunno man, just practice and try to git gud at coding? Do some Google-fu? I dunno, I don't know jack shit about coding. I'm hoping RPG Maker provides a crutch or two for me.

I'm planning on using these designs for characters when I finally come up with enough of a story and lore to justify a game. Can any pixel-art anons give me any advice or critique?

There's a lot of famous examples of games that were made almost entirely by a single person. Such as pic related

Cuphead was basically made by 3 people who lived in completely different parts of the world.

I know how a sequencial script works. But i have no idea how to script for say, a circle. I know it's about sin, cos or tan math operations. I fucking suck at maths it's legendary how much. Ask me 5 + 9 and i'll take at least a good minute to figure out.

But i'm glad you asked me this, because i have trouble reading documentation. I have no idea how other coders manage to understand what's written in Godot docs and make use of functions. The Dot product is one fine example of things i struggle with.

I care to the point of desperation like it's the only thing i have to do in life like probably many others in this thread. right?

I'm not a pixel-art user. I think there's potential in your stuff, though. There may be some issues your diagonal lines not retaining volume and clearly conveying form. The third character's shoulders for instance. I suspect you might know this since your first character doesn't suffer from it. user's pdf terms it as jaggies, that's the stuff. But I like concepts.

Dot products are simple operations, I know how to compute them but I honestly forget what the significance of it is. You can make a dot product in 3 dimensions like this:
float dot3(vec3_t a, vec3_t b){ return (a.x * b.x) + (a.y * b.y) + (a.z * b.z);}
You just have two arrays, and you multiply each value found at each index, so like a[i] * b[i]. Then, you add all of the results into one value. So, a way of doing this in n dimensions is:
float dot(float a[n], float b[n], size_t n){ float r = 0.0f; for(size_t i = 0; i < n; i++){ r += a[i] + b[i]; } return r;}

What made me capable of reading documentation was by blindly following tutorials for a while until I was able to do that pretty well, then documentation started to make more sense to me, I think that you should just follow a bunch of tutorials on the topic and then check the docs once you think you get it, then the docs will probably make more sense.

Okay real talk, if you don't think this looks like the tightest shit you can get out of my face

There are a lot of things that daily make me want to drive a nail in my dick, but I have a few things I've learned to tell myself:

1) "Okay you're getting agitated, try to calm down and think about it constructively."

2) "Okay, you just gotta sit on this problem and keep it in your head. Keep trying things and at some point it will click. Persistence is how we get things done - just wait a little longer, and a little longer still - and it will click. Keep doing it, and you'll succeed where others fail."

3) "This is okay, let's get back to it later. Let's go do something a little more fun but still productive (Like for example coding character movement when fed up with UI)"

4) "Gamedev is something you chose. You can't just give up on things that are hard. Keep going. You can spend as much time as you want on this problem, but you have no other choice but to solve it."

An important thing to note is that these things only work if you're nice to yourself, eat healthy breakfasts and stay healthy overall. If you're making a game, you've got to remember why you're making it, and what kind of game you have in mind, as well. My desire to see my dream game come true has kept me working on my project in one way or another through many layers of bullshit, including accidental deletion of the project folder about a month in. Also I've decided that gamedev is my life's career and there's no other way for me but to go forward and make mad dosh by being good at it. (Yes I'm aware it's a very close to being pipe dream, I just don't let my thinking self believe anything else but that) I just simply don't let myself think otherwise and push myself through this. When you decide that this is your life's work, you gravitate back to it no matter how long your hiatus is. You just keep pushing yourself through the hurt, and it works. You do learn and you do get better at everything you put your mind to.

Is this a tile set for a new Chip's Challenge? I'd be very up for that.

No but my game is a clone of a game that cloned CC and Supaplex etc

Learned about game engine compatible corrective shape keys. Also made a panty that has proper weights and is always above the pubis with zero clipping.

No it doesnt weight paint the whole thing enough for an inflation fetish. Its only good for jiggling if you try.

I appreciate your efforts to teach me something user. Your post is something to read, and re-read when i'll get back to learning tomorrow. Thanks a bunch!

I have an object that is being controlled by a speed and a 3d vector direction. The player inputs set a pitch and yaw.

The direction vector is controlled
object up vector * pitch
object right vector * yaw

This works perfectly fine for horizontal movement but when it comes to vertical movement the object is unable to do loop-de-loops or anything like that. The image shows the problem.

How do I solve this? Is the only solution to not control it by a direction vector and multiplied axis inputs?

Obviously I just need to change the way the input is done by the player, but I am not sure the best way to go about this. Having a velocity always staying forward and just rotating the object is not an option.

i think this shoul work if you convert the direction change according to the forward vector of the player.
Not sure if this is right, but i think just adding the pitch of the forward vector in the player and the one you want to apply should do it for the pitch and you maybe need to do something when you hit 360 degrees.

That's neat stuff.

Dot products give a number that represents how different the two vectors are.

No, that's the length of the cross product. The dot product gives how much vector A points in the direction of vector B. A can be in the same direction as B but longer or shorter and you'll just get the length of A, but it can be perpendicular and it won't matter how long A is the result will always be 0.

I think we're describing the same concept in different words.

I'm fairly sure that's what "different" meant. If the vectors point in the same direction, the dot product would be positive; if they were perpendicular, it would be zero; if they pointed in opposite directions, it would be negative. It wouldn't be a perfect ordering, since you're reducing a vector space to a scalar quantity, but the ordering would exist.

A dot B and A dot C in this image give the same result |D|, but they're clearly "more different".
fucked up the image

It's just a usable application. You don't need to teach me trig, I just think saying that dot product is a function with no defined purpose is kind of dumb when you can give an example of how it can be applied.

Also all of you in here struggling with a lack of motivation need to do watch this right now.
gdcvault.com/play/1024151/The-Last-Game-I-Make

When did I ever do so?

The user I first responded to said something like that. Stop wasting time responding just to be right and start making your game already dumbass.

What part of "It wouldn't be a perfect ordering, since you're reducing a vector space to a scalar quantity, but the ordering would exist" confuses you?

If you say it's good I'll check it out, but I'm only 30 seconds in and by god are there some red flags.

No, he said

Dude made some endless runners, found out he had stage 4b cancer and is talking about making a game to make peace with life in case he dies. It's ok if you don't like his game or whatever but I'm recommending it for people who just tune in to /agdg/ because they want to make games but can't find the motivation to do it. It's about overcoming everything else and just seeing what's important.

I understand that. I don't have cancer as far as I know, but I really feel like making a game is the most impactful thing I'll ever be able to do.

I think a lot of us here feel the same way and I posted the video in the hopes that it could inspire some of you to action. Sure, you don't have cancer and don't have to make your dream game tomorrow or that's it, but you never really know that you won't get hit by a bus tomorrow. At least if you try your hardest you see what you've achieved when you're 30/40/50 and not feel like you've wasted time and opportunities getting there.

page 13 motherfuckers

And what are you going to do about it, punk? Are you going to sit there and whine? Or are you going to make a new thread?

Wow holy shit, didn't expect that. I'll finish watching it later when I'm not at 85% occupied RAM.

there you go you fucking lazy cunt
NEW BREAD