Nipponese Learning Thread: ラブプラス Edition

So, you wanna learn the Nipponese, huh? Well, you've come to the right thread. You know the drill; All of the relevant resources are available below. It's not an official list or anything, just an OP I threw together from items taken from previous threads. If you have any suggestions on how this list can be improved, then please don't hesitate to say something.

Learn the Kana. Start with Hiragana and then move on to Katakana. Yes, you need both, and yes stroke order is important. Use Realkana or Kana Invaders for spaced repetition. Alternatively, you can use the Anki deck, but I'd recommend the first two. Tae Kim has a Kana diagram on his website, and you can use KanjiVG for pretty much any character.

You have to learn vocabulary and grammar in order to speak and understand the language. Some will tell you to grind the Core2k/6k deck until you're blue in the face, others will tell you that grammar is more important. Truth is, you need both, but it doesn't really matter which one you decide to do first. You're teaching yourself here, so you move at your own pace and do what you're most receptive to. If you want grammar first, then Tae Kim has a great introductory grammar guide, there are numerous grammar related videos in user's all-in-one-Anki-package, IMABI has an active forums and an abundance of information on grammar, and there's always YouTube if you're lazy. On the other hand, if you want to learn vocab first, then grab the Core2k/6k and grind until you're blue in the face. For mnemonics, see Kanji Damage.

That's what these threads are for aside from the obligatory shitposting. You shouldn't assume that anyone here knows more than you, but there are anons here who are willing to help. Try to find shit out on your own, for fuck's sake, but if you're stumped, then maybe someone will have something to say that can point you in the right direction.

Threadly reminder:
YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE

old DJT guide: docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#
new DJT guide: djtguide.neocities.org/
pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c

Anki: apps.ankiweb.net/
Core 2k/6k: mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
Core2k/6k content: core6000.neocities.org/
user's Japanese Learner Anki package: mega.nz/#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tōdai-ji
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_glossing_abbreviations
kanji.koohii.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariko_Aoki_phenomenon
ppxclub.com/592682-1-1
1fichier.com/?0p6bg3ae47
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/ROM/ISO_Sites
gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/kouzokugo
jisho.org/search/鍾 #kanji
jisho.org/search/鍾き
gogakuru.com/english/phrase/14154
nhk.or.jp/lesson/
jisho.org/search/者
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendaku
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why would you play a VN if you don't even get to fug the girl at least once?

You get to hold hands

I'm thinking of picking up Japanese. Should I hold off on playing Drakengard until I can play and understand the original Japanese release or just play the censored western release now and return to the original when I can understand nipspeak?

LEARN IN BARS
Get it through your thick fucking skulls already. Grinding vocab flashcards and reading grammar guides all day is literally completely useless. Don't be a beta cuck, go outside and talk to some real people and practice real Japanese. Sick of trying to help your little circlejerk safe space.
Go fuck yourselves. I actually know Japanese and I'm going to tell you right now, none of you know what the fuck you're doing. Learning in bars is the only correct way to learn. Everything else is just placebo to make you feel better about taking 4 years just to have a basic grasp on a simple fucking language.

I almost thought you were actually that user for a second, good stuff

Starting Namasensei's videos. My user teacher has me ahead of his first hiragana video though. I like his first grammar video especially; short and sweet. Also breaking down what each style of writing was helped. I'd never distinguished between Katakana and Hiragana before now. Romanji and Kanji were kinda given though.

we don't all live in japan user

Just ignore him, user. Nothing good comes of bothering to responding to one as low-effort as that.

he reminds me of an autist that would pop in the vita threads often; acting like everyone lived in Japan or some shit.

Probably the same guy who frequents the 3DS threads.

it really activates the almonds

He's suspiciously similar to a retard who was trying to shit up /agdg/ not too long ago. He just screams about how everyone's shit, everyone's in a safespace, and he's a god of programming, despite him clearly not even fully grasping the concepts he talks about, not making any specific criticisms, not giving any usable advice, and not demonstrating that he had ever even made a game. It reeks of goon. I suspect that they're afraid of us learning. If it's not, it's some impressive retardation.

But maybe I'm just making excuses, and should go find an ethnic group that makes up 0.3% of the US population, many of whom don't speak the language, in a bar, in a state that doesn't even have any of them in the first place.

Of course they are. Goons use localization to censor things they don't like, and learning Japanese is the way to be free of their control.

his deal was that you should move to japan and you can bum around in bars and learn japanese well enough to get a high paying job, and also that everyone should bow to him. He was sperging in the last thread about how someone should call him his "superior"

While most of us obviously are not living in Japan, the user is right. Even if you practise reading a lot, there is a good chance you won't be able to speak a word of the language. There are many people that get N1 and their brains would explode if they had to actually talk to a Japanese person.
Trying to find a native person, or really just anyone else that speaks Japanese, to talk with is a big bonus. Even if you are too autistic for real Japanese I am sure a conversational group made of gaijins can be formed online. Even if you are too autistic for that just sitting on your ass and writing random everyday thoughts in Japanese, as well as just trying to think in Japanese, is going to be a great plus and something that will actually help you grasp the language.
So technically the guy is right, bars (aka casual irl places with everyday Japanese) are the probably the best places to learn to speak the language. Except the fact there is a good chances everyone is going to try to talk to you in bad English.

Everybody knows that speaking to natives is always the best way to learn any language. It's common sense, and frequently recommended in these threads. The criticism is that the "advice" of "just go to a bar, pussy" is useless, as it's applicable to exactly one country, which is the country of origin. The odds of finding a native speaker in a bar outside of Japan are very nearly zero, save for a small handful of cities. And the rest of his post makes it quite obvious anyway that he's retarded, trolling, or an outside agent.

So did I type this in wrong or what?

none of you are going to succeed
i hope you know that

That's a loser's mind set.

Nope. I don't. Is it supposed to be nonsense?

Yeah.

Admittedly there were a few "what the fuck are those cards this time".

Depends on how badly you want to play I'd say. It will take a lot of work to where you can understand everything in the Japanese version, maybe years of study. I know nothing of the translation quality so I can't say based on that.

Namasensei is good for entertainment and encouragement. I'd recommend other sources if you actually want to learn though. Nama goes pretty slow and fucks things up sometimes. He doesn't really cover much material either.

This. His te-form video is the only one that will really help you, the rest are motivation.

His teーform video is a bad idea. Learn the verbs and learn their forms together, learning this individually is a bad practice imo.

Ok, so I went to the shops and bought something to eat.
>店に行いて何かを買った yes I know this is wrong

Just learn the forms as you go is a better practice

His poem is just an easy way of remembering how to conjugate the different u-verb endings. It also applies to past tense.

大仏・・・ 本当に奈良だった

God dammit, I didn't mean to press reply yet. It says, "The Great Buddha…was really in Nara". Nara is a city, apparently. So, given some context, the sentence could be referring to the character's sudden revelation that the Buddha was previously in the city for some reason, which now makes sense to them (for reasons unknown to us). It could also possibly mean that the city of Nara is the hometown of the Great Buddha, but you'd need more information to come to that conclusion.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tōdai-ji

I get that but eventually you just need to sit down and learn them properly, May as well do it from the start.

You learn them properly by reading, not sitting down and grinding them.

Oh yeah, let me just head down to my local Japanese language bar here in the middle of Texas. Thanks user, what would we ever do without you?
Also
literally scientifically proven to be a terrible idea. If you're in Japan then you can go anywhere as long as you're speaking, and if you aren't then speaking for an hour or two a day won't teach you anything, it's only good for practice.
furthermore
Unless you are a prepubescent child, you are literally scientifically wrong. It has been repeatedly shown that adults learn better from rules than context.

he is being sarcastic

Recognition and reproduction are two different skills. Reading does 1 whilst grinding does both

If you can find a resource that will allow you practice the grammar in context then that's better than just doing it in cards but just reading will not help you conjugate yourself.

You do not need to take off your shoes
Does this mean that
Is saying "do I need to take off my shoes?"

Go to a Japanese restaurant and talk to the employees dumb-dumb

I'm trying to learn Japanese not Chinese or Korean

I believe that would be asking if it would be okay if you did not take your shoes off.

the first literally means
the second literally means

I'll disagree with this to some extent. Of course you do want to get in some speaking practice as well, but having them talk at you will have you learning more than when your mouth is flapping. Input over output.

脱がなくて

How would you ask that then?

Fuck my life.

The employees at "Japanese" restaurants are usually not actually Japanese. It's a popularity thing.

Around here they're usually Chinese and Vietnamese.

No you're not. Maybe too unmotivated.

I think this might be more appropriate:
ここに靴を脱いではいけませんか?
It should translate to something like, "Must I take off my shoes here?"

He´s just mocking an actual guy who posts here from time to time and who says stupid shit like studying grammar is completely worthless and you should just go to japanese bars and shit like that.

I don't actually know exactly but I would just say
靴を脱ぐか - Do you take off your shoes?

I think that would be

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_glossing_abbreviations

So, isn't it true that you could just change the verb to "wear" and it would pretty much say, "Am I forbidden from wearing shoes here?"
So it would be:
ここに靴を着てはいけませんか?

履く is the verb for wearing shoes.

Yeah that seems like it would work

Would you have to nominalize the verb?
ここに靴を履いてるのはいけませんか

Well think i just got an insight into the level here

No, はいけません takes the て-form as its subject.

How Kanji heavy is Fate/Extra CCC and Stay Night? I've been thinking about getting CCC and SN Realta Nua for my Vita so I can get some form of practice on the go and I've been wanting to play and replay both CCC and SN respectively.

Alright I haven't done anki in a few months. I'm considering just starting the deck over, but I also don't want to since I'm already about 26% of the way through the deck. Would it better for me to restart, or should I just get through this 1000+ card review?

Also forgot to mention getting Hollow Ataraxia for it too.

Seems to be about average to me, looking at screenshots. I didn't realize Extra was so lewd

You are better off restarting.

For this you'd still want negative 脱がなくて otherwise you're asking if it's bad if you take off your shoes. You'd also want to use ここで over ここに as you're indicating the place where that action would occur.

Like this:
ここで靴を脱がなくてですか

You still want the はいけない, はならない, はだめ or whatever other "don't do that" of your choice.

So, like this:
ここで靴を脱がなくてはいけませんか

I asked a nipp a while ago, this is what they said

くつを脱がなければいけませんか?
くつを脱ぐ必要はありますか?

Is there a Kanji book that

Don't learn this with kanji. Remembering the Kanji is a pretty good kanji book.

All the 3 volumes? I forgot to ask whether it was more important to write or recognize kanji.

What's the go to shopkeeper game? Shameless rec

You only really need the first volume. Also use this site as a supplement.
kanji.koohii.com/

You should know every one of these Japanese words by now.

君たちは永遠に日本語を学ぶことができないだろう。

I wouldn't try to learn kanji by themselves. I went through Heisig's remember the kanji, who's goal was largely to learn to write, recognize, and differentiate between kanji. As a result kanji becomes largely demystified, I stopped looking at Kanji as moon runes but something easily doable.

RtK will teach you radicals but will not teach kunyomi and onyomi. The meanings given are practically useless.

I spent half a year on RtK and I wouldn't recommend it. Turns out knowing kanji is pretty useless, you want to learn words, and knowing kanji is only a small stepping stone towards that. You might as well learn the kanji with the words.

My suggestion is to do RtK light, 500ish kanji, learn the method, get comfortable with kanji, and then move on and kick some ass.

A year later I've forgotten pretty much everything I learned, all the mnemonics, and meanings, but I can still look at kanji and break it down into its radicals, write with somewhat correct stroke order, and tell kanji apart.

RtK is a bit of a cult, so don't go in too deep.

kanji.koohii is solid, use from the get out

いくらなんでも、もう日本語を習えただから君は嘘つき

What a shit (((localization)))

All right, I ask because I saw a critical review on Amazon saying how the 3rd RTK book was shit & the alternative I had that's closest to my needs was Kodansha's Kanji Learner Course which I see mentioned in the DJT guide.

Could someone explain what seagulls have in common with cats, sharing the name in Japanese - umineko, right? Or are they related only as pineapples to apples in English?

Dunno if that one is good, never tried it.

I think you'd be better off restarting. The nice thing is you know many of those words, so getting them mature again won't be that hard. 頑張ってね。

Limited alphabet has let to a metric shit tonne of similar sounding words

I always referred seagulls as rats with wings, but I guess sea cats also work.

What do hedgehogs have to do with hogs?

seagulls = shit hawks

Their cry. Gulls sound like cats, so they were called sea-cats

>its second leg emerges from its belly as it takes the fries and flies away

Gas yourself normalfag.

He's a faggot and has no clue what he's talking about. I bet he doesn't even have N1 and only knows "conversational Japanese".

Seagulls in general are called かもめ. うみねこ refers only to a very specific Asian species of seagull.

せっのか?ほんま日本語判るか?えらいこた言うねんお前。ボケ見たいなお前なら馬鹿ムズイんで、育つなることは無理とちゃうやろう。

Kansai-ben is only cute when girls use it.

Are you kidding? Manzai wouldn’t be half as funny if it weren’t for the Osaka dialect and culture

When you guys are doing your vocab deck in anki, do you require yourselves to correctly identify what category a verb falls into, as well as the reading+meaning? I've been doing it, and it feels like half my daily reviews are verbs with ambiguous る endings that I know the meaning+reading of, but can't classify correctly.

Avoid that issue by memorizing the premasu form instead of the dictionary form.

Just pronunciation and meaning.

By premasu form, do you mean the verb stem? But then you end up with ambiguity from ru verbs that have stems ending in an /i/ vowel

Don't bother remembering which is a u/ru verb, japanese people don't know this.

Just learn the conjugations.
食べるー食べないー食べた
帰るー帰らないー帰った

Once you have the negatives remembered you'll know automatically which is which

Yeah, that's the sort of thing you learn automatically.

Learn the citation form and the polite form together of you're having problems with this.

You said to learn the "premasu" form, not the masu form. If by "premasu" you mean the part of the verb that comes before masu, then there is ambiguity between ru verb stems that end in i and u verb stems that end in a vowel. As in the "premasu" form of かいる、かいます and かう、かいます are both "かい"

There is no such verb as かいる, but I guess you wouldn't know this if you don't know the basics of Japanese in the first place.

In that case, learn both polite and plain as this guy suggested.

It's a hypothetical example to prove my point because I didn't care to look for a real example. If you need one then look at いる as いう.
Also I like how you imply that I don't know anything about Japanese but then say to listen to my advice.

It doesn't prove your point since the basis for your argument doesn't exist

The basis of my argument is the rules by which japanese verbs conjugate, not either of those specific verbs. Those hypothetical examples were designed to show what it would look like when it happened, not to prove that it happens, because knowledge of the conjugation rules is enough to prove it.

I wont believe you until you can give proper examples

I know what he means. 老いる and 追う would be a real example.

Now I get what he's talking about.

Why anyone would learn that way is beyond me

Well the original question was "how do you tell a ru-verb from an u-verb?", and the answer was learn the masu form. But if you look at the masu form of 老います and 追います you still can't tell which is which.

Basically the real answer is to learn through practice, I guess.

That's why I say to learn the negative form, knowing these "mantras" are a crutch, just learn the conjugations and be done with them

It's right, but Google just got overly literal. The Daibutsu Sakaki is referring to is a specific giant Buddha statue at Toudaiji.

It's more the sense of going to Nara and really "feeling" it when you see the Daibutsu. Think of if you were go to New York or Paris, which really just look like any other big city for the most part, and then you see the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower and you think "Wow, I really AM in NY/Paris"

Cute, maybe, but Kansai-ben is a real man's Japanese

really makes ya think

I hope to god Hirose comes back for the next season of Build Fighters
I also hope there's another season of Build Fighters

Seems to be some debate over Remembering the Kanji. I hear that it is good for building a solid foundation with radicals and meaning. Keep in mind I am new to this and kanji still hurts my brain just thinking about it, so I don't actually know too much about the method itself since I haven't dug too much into kanji yet.

Does anybody vouch for the usefulness of Remembering the Kanji?

I've heard it's useful, but I think a lot of the complaints about it revolve around people focusing too much on remembering kanji, and not learning other aspects of the language.

If you actively work through the book, your exposing yourself to more kanji with which help you recognise them easier.

But if you do your reps you'll also come to recognise them easily as well.

The argument is the time spent studying kanji could have went to other aspects like more words, grammar, listening, speaking etc.

If your goal is to write, you'll need the kanji book

Pirate Genki and do exactly what it tells you in exactly the order it tells you.
It isn't the most accurate education you can get but it's comprehensive and you can more or less use just that if the problem is actually that you're too stupid to figure out how to study.
Genki is also designed with idiots in mind, so it's perfect. then again so are most Japanese resources, including Tae Kim

I wouldn't recommend using just genki, between it's dumb romanization and the way it teaches です体 first instead of だ体, you'll do much better if you use genki and tae kim simultaneously to get multiple inputs on concepts.

Tbh learning です体 first is more pragmatic because it's always better to be too polite than not polite enough, and I've seen several people here who have learned through tai kim saying and defending obviously wrong things because of the way it teaches だ体, especially surrounding the nature of だ.
But the important thing is that you can't use Tae Kim on its own. It's a grammar guide that introduces just enough vocabulary to use the grammar it's teaching and just enough practice to give examples of it.
Genki on the other hand can be used as a comprehensive source, because it teaches grammar, vocab (for it's own sake), kanji (for their own sake), cultural conventions, and comes with copious amounts of reading, writing, and listening practice (and speaking of you can find a partner). So of the problem is not knowing what to do, Genki covers every kind of activity you need to do and tells you explicitly how and when to do it.
I don't know what your problem is with Genki's romanization system; as far as I remember it's standard Hepburn, and besides that all of the Japanese is written in kana or kanji past chapter 2.
You can't really 'do' both at the same time because they go out of order and will give seemingly conflicting information. If using multiple sources was okay in the first place then I'd say to use Genki and supplement each lesson with the related Tae Kim lesson, but I'd also say you check multiple other sources, deep dive through Wikipedia on the topic, and learn a good bit of linguistics before starting, because that's the only way you're going to come out of either without misinformation, let alone confusion, but that defeats the purpose of the answer in the first place.

Genki is for classrooms, it's not useful for self learning.

It works for self study to, admittedly it could be much better but thats arguable about any resource

Minna no Nihongo is superior anyway.

That's a non sequitur. What do you mean by this? What is the specific aspect of Genki that you think makes it less useful without a teacher than it is with one?
All the information within is self-complete and self-consistent; it never requires you to reference another source or expects a teacher to explain something for it. And the second edition was explicitly designed for self-learners because the company knew that that was a large portion of the first edition's sales.

Nigga half the book is useless on your own, since it's practice exercises for the classroom.

There's one or two activities in each chapter that say to do them with a partner, which you can easily skip or fill in both halves of yourself.The rest designed to be done individually, so why would it matter if you do them in a classroom or at home?

I use that book combined with nihongo no challenge.
i really like the ancient illustrations which led to today's Kanji

Is the core 2k_6k anki deck actually worth using? I'm seeing some things that seem just plain wrong.
For example, there was one card that said "むっつ” when referring to someone's age, instead of ”六歳”.
Is it ok to not use the sai counter when counting someone's age?

Not in the deck I am using.

I think I see my mistake.
He's saying his son turned six, not his son is six years old

It still seems weird to me, but maybe it's a valid usage. As long as you're aware enough of such things it's not a big deal.

Who thought this made sense?

No wonder nipponese courts are stacked against the defendant.
They literally can't defend themselves :^)

The card was probably mistaken; つ counter is used exclusively to count concrete things, not age.

Both are correct the first is just more polite.

It can be used for some abstract stuff too, especially 一つ. For example: 二人の心は一つに

I would have expected 歳 to be more polite than just a general counter

What's a good source for casual japanese, specifically people asking questions.

Here's a video with a bunch of conversational phrases in Japanese and translated to English. Some of them are questions.

Ai-chan is good for casual practice in a variety of situations. plus she's cute

青木まりこ現象 : urge to defecate when stepping into a bookstore

Can anyone explain what the fuck this is supposed to mean?

I too would like to know.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariko_Aoki_phenomenon

It's not that I couldn't google it, it's more that I wanted to hear from someone who maybe has some first hand experience with this sort of phenomenon. Maybe that's asking too much.

I think after the great shoe debate, you should be well versed in the ability levels here

I have experienced this and can confirm it exists. Literally every time I go to Barnes and Noble I have to take a shit. It has to be something in the air released by all the books in an enclosed space. It's a conspiracy to make sure nobody can read entire books without paying. You have to buy your book, get the fuck out, and then go shit. You could always set it down and go shit and come back but then you have the post shit relaxation and can't focus on anything without sitting down.

Hey can someone translate this for me?

full fire power bomb

full fire power bomb.

Awesome. Thanks guys.

You should at least learn hiragana and katakana though, user.

I know Hiragana. I started learning Kata

I used to live in Nara prefecture and have been to Nara eki many times, there are always monks near there. Lots of buddhism significance I guess. Also half of Japanese shit you will never understand unless you actually live there, sadly. This goes for a lot of cultural references you will see in manga/anime. I studied Japanese for 6 fucking years and didn't understand anything on a true level until I lived in rural (bumfuck nowhere in Nara prefecture) Japan. And that was living there for 2 years.

Full fire power bomb

I wouldn't say necessary, but it does help The Kintetsu eki? With the big fountain in front of the Lawson?

When you got there did you had a basic grasp of Japanese at the very least, right? I want to go to Japan and live there for a while, God knows how much I want that, but I think it's really fucking disrespectful to go to any country without at least having a basic grasp of their language so you can, you know, talk with the fucking people there.
I'm also terrified of going at the same time. I don't want to be the stupid 外人

Yeah that one. It's been years since I've been there though, I moved back to the states. Also excuse me if my ID changed. I lived in Kashiba in Nara prefecture, a pretty nice place with tall hills and rice fields. I always laugh when I see the girl in Tsurhashi talking about a massacre, since I remember going to the station so many times to get to Osaka that I can still see it in my mind. Very nostalgic.

I have that, pretty good, before long though you will just give up memorising anything but the main definition.

Why were the DJT threads banned on /a/?

Gee, I dunno.

Stop lying >>>/a/719367

w e w

Is that cuckchan? Fuck off if you still use that site.

This is the link posted on the new DJT guide. Was the set of screenshots too difficult to comprehend? It links to this, meaning apparently it got banned on cuckchan. Perhaps you should go back there.

Their eating habits? I heard that both are rather loud when foraging.

Can someone explain what the smaller tsu kana is?

It makes a kind of stop or pause before the next character, indicated in romanji by a double consonant. Like date into datte.

What is it used for?

They're snouts look piglike and they are often found in hedges, stop they were called hedge hogs. They also used to be called hedge pigs.

Just spelling other words.

The small tsu kana indicates that the proceeding consonant is long. A long consonant is as long as a ん or a vowel. For an English speaker, ここ sounds like koko but こっこ sounds like kok-ko. At the end of a sentence it also represents a glottal stop.

Oh so it's like the line in katakana?

No.

No, the line marks the previous vowel as being long, the small tsu marks the following consonant as being long.

Meant for

Ok.

So are the 2 marks used for both Hiragana and Katakana?

Yes, っ for hiragana and ッ for katakana, both are small versions of tsu for the respective scripts.

Different user, currently living in Nara. I studied Japanese a fuckton before coming here, but I never really practiced speaking, so I stutter a lot and come up with a lot of rather unusual word choices at times. I'm working in an eikaiwa, and quite a few of the other teachers come here not knowing a word and manage to get by somehow, though most obviously pick things up as they go, with quite a few taking Japanese lessons in the country. You'll have a hard time with the big shit obviously, like taxes or getting a bank account set up, unless you have a native speaker who also speaks English helping you out, but for everyday life shit like getting around there's so much shit in English as well as Japanese that if you want to go the route of learning while you're in-country that should be viable. As for being the stupid gaijin, I've not had that problem, though that might just be because Kansai folk are more relaxed in general. Just don't be an asshole and try to do as the Romans do so to speak and you should be fine.

Ah, fair enough. I live about five minutes walk from that station, so it's a location I'm very familiar with.

Can anyone explain why some native Japanese words are written in katakana? I'm not talking about onomatopoeia, but shit like in this image.

Is it for emphasis, kind of like italics?

Pretty much. Or just a stylistic choice.

More or less yeah. It's like bold or italics, or writing in all capital letters.

I've been reading through kanjidamage, and while it does a good job explaining how kanji are structured and how to pronounce them, I feel like some of the translations and "cultural connotations" are wrong.

For example, it implies that お母さん and お父さん are baby-talk, but that can't possibly be right.

You should trust your own experience with Japanese over what translators say.

If you're talking about your mother or father to another person, you refer to them as 母 (はは) or 父 (ちち). Saying "私のお母さん/お父さん" can sound childish.

according to Genki, using お父さん and お母さん for your parents in the third person is 'informal', so presumably if you used it in the wrong setting it would sound childish. 父 and 母 are the formal, and therefore safer, versions.

なんやぁ
やんのかぁゴルァ!?

Does anyone have an .iso of the japanese version of Digital Devil Saga? I found a torrent on nyaa, yet its unseeded. All .iso sites have is the eng version.

Physical japanese copies of each game are only about $20 on ebay if you live in America, I paid 15 each for the english versions so that's not too bad.

If you stay connected a seeder might come eventually, that's how I got some games. Other than that the easiest way may be to just buy it and rip it yourself. That's what I did with Shadow Hearts.

ppxclub.com/592682-1-1
Then you will need to use Chrome or Chromium or something so you can install the baidudl extension.

Yeah, but depending on someone like that just rarely works sadly. The only time that worked was for the 銀英伝 RTS game.

If only I had money.

Thanks, that is what I'm looking for. Chinese have their uses sometimes. Also, I was able to by pass their extention using jdownloader. I bet anyone can do it with other 3rd party extension. Very slow however.

The extension I proposed is not an official one and it gives a direct download link instead. Downloaded 2GB for 30 minutes so it is not the slowest.

I'd be interested to see how you feel about the translation, assuming you've previously played the English versions. I'm quite fond of the games and I'd like to know what was changed.

I played the English version and the Japanese version very briefly. I just really like Shoji Meguro. The only thing I am aware of is the change of the of the opening song; I only know about it due to looking at the comments on youtube of the OST.

I would like to add that the Japan version had terrible Voice acting. I don't remember the English Voice acting.

The english version actually had really good voice acting, and I'm pretty critical of that usually.

Here, have some mnemonics:
米 = rice
女 = woman
攵 = the strike radical
数える 「かぞえる」 = to count, to calculate
All y'all bitches better get to counting my money, and if I see a single cent unaccounted for, Imma smack ya bitch ass with a bag full of rice

土 = earth, soil
子 = child
攵 = the strike radical
孝 = filial piety, a child's respect
教える 「おしえる」 = to teach, to inform, to preach
To command a child's respect, you've got to smack him around from time to time. Spare the rod and spoil the child

I find that this bullshit helps me better distinguish between two similar looking Kanji.

That's the kind of stuff I mean when I tell people to study kanji. Just make up or find a little story to help you remember all the components of each kanji.

What games?

gajin scum

nuked

I was talking about Digital Devil Saga

The original Famicom ones, or the Avatar Tuner games on the PS2?

The only ones called Digital Devil Saga are the PS2 games. I just forgot to reply to a specific post with the original question

The original ones on the Famicom were Digital Devil Monogatari, and I've heard some people translate it as Saga instead of Story before, so just confirming.

They're called Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner in the JP release.

賛成。

Genki's explanation is retarded.
お母さん and お父さん are honorifics.
母 and 父 are plain. You don't honor your own group in Japanese culture. You self deprecate. That's why you wouldn't use it when talking about your own parents to someone else.

But it also explicitly says that it is okay do use them in informal situations. I'm happy to accept that an explanation in Genki is poorly based, but not something like that since it is made by native speakers living in Japan.

Technically it's Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner on the English version if you can read japanese
or if you're like me you think it's called Avatar Tuna until you get to 2

チェックした

What's the difference between「店」and「屋」?

In terms of their meaning as "[somthing] shop", it's like the difference between "shop" and "store", i.e. there isn't one. The differences are in their other meanings, like how 店(みせ)can be on it's own to a nonspecific kind of shop and also has the meaning of "a franchise or location of a franchised business", and 屋 is sometimes used to refer to employees of a store, among several other uses for both of them.

屋 doesn't necessarily mean a store. It can just be a room, or even refer to a person like in the case of 照れ屋 or 殺し屋.

屋 isn't used independently to mean "store", while 店 is. 屋 is like the suffix -ery or -er in English, as in the words bakER or baKERY.

1fichier.com/?0p6bg3ae47
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/ROM/ISO_Sites
他のゲームが欲しいとこのサイトはとっても便利ですよ

I wonder if the dialogue choices in Gurren Lagann meant more to the Japanese audience for that reason.

>1fichier.com/?0p6bg3ae47
へぇ、あのサイトゲームがあるか?神サイト草。サンキュ

バンプ~

The KanjiDamage card for 時 says that it means "Hold" in the sense of carrying, or ownership. However, the Core2K card says it means "Wait." Is one of them wrong, or is it just a coincidence that in English we say "Hold" or "Hold on" to mean wait?

I think you might be getting three different kanji confused here.
時 - toki, time.
待つ - matsu, to wait.
持つ - motsu, to hold.

What said is true, you're mixing up 時 with 待つ and 持つ. Also be careful of 特, (とく), which means particular or special.

Don't forget 侍

第一話す者が私の飛行機にとどまれる!

Can someone tell me if this is an accurate translation? I like to translate plane scene dialog for fun, but I'm not so sure how good I am at it….Correction welcome.

I'm not even going to attempt to translate EN -> JP. You really need to be a native speaker for that.

Here's the scene that someone posted earlier if you want to reference it.

Can't pick up all of it, only some.
It goes like this:
一番最初に口を割って○○○残してやる

宛先に maybe

What's the source you're trying to translate from?

I've really been having a rough time learning listening. I feel like it's the hardest thing I've had to do, even more so than memorizing all the kanji that I have. Does anyone have any particular tips, or is it another slow grind like when you start out reading?

This. Just watch a few anime series without subs, even if you don't understand it all.

Watch them with subs, but Japanese ones.

what are you listening to?

I've watched a few J-dramas with Japanese subs, since I find anime/game speech a lot easier to understand due to it being slower and clearer, but I guess I just need to keep at it.

Nah, no subs at all. That's the best way to really focus on listening.

I figured since I'm a low income wageslave that I will never go to Japan. So I did the next best thing and bought a japanese tv subscription. They have shows where people just go around exploring Japan and every single interaction has kanji plastered all over the screen. You can even watch dumb stuff like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse where they do simple shit like counting apples and explaining stuff to you like your 5. There is a guilty pleasure in watching kids shows in another language. Or you can watch infomercials aimed at oba-sans looking for a new pressure cooker where they keep repeating the same thing over and over again. Seriously, buy a japanese tv subscription and just leave it on all the time while you're doing other stuff in japanese.

Could always do what I did and get hired by an eikaiwa to become a low income wageslave IN Japan.

I don't have a degree, but one day I might go back to school for this very purpose.

This is a stupid question, but can someone explain pic related?

How can a huge ass building be "in front of" the department store?

Obviously things can be in front of things but, I wouldn't describe 2 opposing shops as "in front of"

前 can also mean "before", and not just in a physical sense. I think it means that if you walk toward that department store, you'll reach the mcdonalds before you reach the department store.

There is a department store over there
McDonalds is before(in front) of that department store.

It means "in front of" as in "across the street from"

Across the street makes more sense, it's just i'd never say it that way.

I don't understand what's confusing about that.

apparently he's never heard the English expression "X is in front of Y" as a synonym of "X is across the street from Y".

Yes, but you are not Japanese, and Japanese is not English. Don't be a fool about this, you must learn to adapt to the way of the language or you will never learn.

This. Ultimately not everything in Japanese will have a logical equivalent in English.

It's just uncommon for me, I'd say it's across the road or its directly opposite.

Yeah, I get it's not a 1to1 translation, it's just I'm not used to that.

This was sort of a revelation to me also. Some shit in Japanese you just have to accept at face value even though it may seem to make no sense at all.

But it does make sense. You must learn to make sense of it, just because it doesn't make sense to you it can make sense to someone else point of view. To learn a language is to learn how to make sense of something completely different. How much, depending on the language.

This is entirely true. I never realized how much the Germanic and Romance languages were all similar to each other until I started studying Japanese. The romance languages especially can almost be translated word-for-word between each other.

I have yet to encounter anything in Japanese that doesn't make sense once you break it down linguistically look for historical and cultural context

they all share a common ancestor as recently as 4500 years ago but Japanese diverged from them so long before that that nobody is even sure what other languages in its own area of the world it's related to.

Are you sure its not saying macdonalds is in the front of the department store?

Are there any good game boy or nes games that have simple vocab?

pokemon is always an easy pick, but it's kana only
Maybe dragon quest?

That's what I'm saying you have to do. It doesn't make sense initially, then you must make sense of it.

almost like I was agreeing with you or something

Those are not good systems for a beginner. All kana is not as easy as you think.

There was a question in an old thread about a resource for pitch accent rules in verb a adjective inflections because OJAD doesn't give all of the common infected forms in its normal search page.
It turns out that on the side of it's homepage there is a link called "verb suffix search" gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/kouzokugo that has basically every verb form with the accent modeled on 6 verbs: one accented and of unaccented for every class of verb (ru, u, and su/kuru) and let's you search for any verb in particular as well.
They aren't rules stated explicitly but the rules look relatively simple to extract from it, so it should cover everything you need to know about verb accent in infection.

バンプ~

I've used it. I'd recommend it as a supplement to your primary vocabulary building exercises. Its useful for when you're just starting out to get into the habit of assigning ideological meanings to the kanji you encounter and to wrap your head around how they're constructed from radicals. But once you learn to do that on the fly it looses a lot of its usefulness.

Anyone got a better suggestion?

I would suggest learning Japanese.

I strongly believe in reading is the way to learn any language but I'd rather streamline the lookup process for shit I just can't read. sarcy kunt

That some text hook shit? Just use the jisho radical lookup for kanji you don't know.

Just use ITH, I don't know if that's the one in the guide but it's easy to use and you can find the H-codes for most VN's online

what VN's were you trying to read?

Don't look things up while you're reading; jot down what you don't understand and look it up when you're done; fill the rest in with context. If you can't understand enough to get the context to fill in the blanks then that VN is above your level.

Meant for

I'll try that instead of OCR i actually thought they were the same thing

Yeah, that was the plan, just having something to pull text that I don't recognize was what I was looking for.

I think the biggest myth about this language is that kanji is the hard part.

the gerund + いる form with a verb that indicates a change of state means 'to be in the state resulting from that change' as opposed to 'to be undergoing the change of state'.
Is there a simple, grammatical way to say 'to be undergoing the change of state' that isn't phrasal like '[verb]ことの過程でいる'

中?

you mean like '[verb]のの中にいる' as in 'to be during/within the [verb]ing'? As in "I am coming" -> "私が来るのの中にいる"

Sorry, I have no idea what you're asking. 来ている should be enough for that.

来ている means 'to have come' not 'to be coming'; 来る acts as a state change verb in Japanese.

This grinds my gears:
鍾乳洞 limestone cave
鍾乳石 stalactite
石灰石 limestone

Why the fuck isn't 鍾乳洞 limestone if
鍾乳洞 is limestone cave.

鍾乳洞 was probably coined before the word for the particular material, which in this case is 石灰石

Cause it obviously refers to the shape of the cave rather than the material.

'Obviously'? What the fuck is so obvious about it?
鍾 "god to ward off illness and misfortune" + 乳 "breasts / milk" = "the shape of the cave"?
Really nigger?

this. 鍾乳洞 literally means spindle-milk-cave, as in a cave containing things that look like spindles made of milk. 鍾乳石 means spindle-milk-stone, as in a stone that looks like a spindle made of milk, as in it's white and shaped like a spindle.
pic related is a Japanese spindle.

u wot m8?
jisho.org/search/鍾 #kanji

It's obvious when you know 鍾乳石 is stalactite.

It's certainly one of the major challenges. What would you say is the "hard part" then?

That makes a lot of sense, but the character never seems to have the meaning of "spindle" in Japanese. One of the few words other than 鍾乳洞 and 鍾乳石 that actually uses the character is鍾き
jisho.org/search/鍾き

Yes the dictionary says the kanji means "spindle", but it doesn't have that meaning in any actual Japanese vocabulary word. There aren't many words that use the character and none of them mean "spindle", so what the fuck? A hold over from an ancient Chinese meaning?

Probably. Ultimately the characters distribution doesn't matter for understanding the etymology of it's compounds, only it's meaning, so what other words contain it is irrelevant.

Japanese kana soup.

来る途中だ can be used to mean something like "I'm coming." or "I'm on the way."
Check this out:gogakuru.com/english/phrase/14154

okay but I'm looking for a general way to say 'in the process of undergoing a change', one that applies to any state-change verb, as in one that that can be used for 結婚する -> to be getting married 忘れる -> to be (in the process of) forgetting.
I'm pretty sure 途中 can only be used for motion verbs like 来る and 帰る.

I googled it, and the meaning of 鍾 in 鍾乳 would appear to be 釣り鐘.

NHK World have a "Learning Japanese" section on their site now:
nhk.or.jp/lesson/
Can anyone analyze the quality of it?

at a quick glance that looks like it's geared toward teaching people phrases to be used in tourism situations, not actually learning functional japanese.

Is this wrong? I don't see any resources listing じゃ as a possible pronunciation for 者.

jisho.org/search/者
Literally the second result on jisho

Never mind I can't read

The second result is しゃ, not じゃ.

It's okay, I still love you.

Look up rendaku, you'll understand why it's pronounced じゃ in that particular instance

That said, I think this is an example of しゃ -> じゃrendaku.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendaku

Interesting. Thanks, mates.

Any time a reading starts with さ、た、は、か 、etc. assume it is also possible to be read ざ、た、ば、ぱ、が、etc.

second た=だ

Why assume when you can learn the rules governing those sound changes and find out for yourself?

You can use 掛ける as a verbal suffix appended to the verb stem to express that. 忘れ掛ける is to be in the process of forgetting. 死に掛ける is to be in the process of dying, but not yet dead, etc.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

When asked "where do you do x", can you say "location" or does it always have to be "location I do X"?

Just location + に or で

if you're asking about how to respond to 何でXするか I'm pretty sure you can answer with LOCATION, LOCATIONに/で, LOCATIONです, or LOCATIONでする

any android app recommendations it might help while on lunch break at work

new thread