Opinions on castlevania SOTN?

Opinions on castlevania SOTN?

Boring, too much running around.

Its the Dark Souls of metroidvania games.

Generally far too easy. Theres no challenge I could give myself that makes the game difficult enough. No magic, no familiars, no equipment, no subweapons was still a cake walk. Except for one of the optional bosses in the upside down castle.

Kick ass music, though.

Well yeah, most IGAvania games are easy.

This actually got a smirk out of me

Its good. Bosses were too unmemorable and not enough context and explanation for what could've been a very fun story, but the gameplay was very good and the map design was stellar. It kinda suffered from a "path of least resistance" when it came to weapons and approaches though, but its still a great game nonetheless

Too easy yet worth a single playthrough because of the fun gameplay. Emulate it, prices for it are just plain retarded, unless you find it at a garage sale.

Unique in his own way and there's nothing like it… I want more, not even the NDS ones are enough even though they are a lot more polished. Also, shit thread.

Haven't we had 3 threads about this shitty game in the last week?

Probably someone from an ad agency working for Konami, doing a little astroturfing.

Timeless masterpiece, with great graphics and sound, delicious exploration, but a wee bit too easy.

I'd buy steam release tbh.

No need to make autistc level difficulty, you want to sell to people who actually do something with their lives (aka work) than please a bunch of people who does nothing and have lots of time to try hundreds of times the same level. Don't make it harder, don't make it easier. Just maintain.
Also:

Would buy with improved graphics on steam, but would be even better on switch.

Best castlevania.

4-5 even, maybe. All of them framed "do you like it?"

And here comes the journo, defending his incompetence.
Go back to your "work", your child rapist.

It killed best ClassicVania's and spawned shit load of crappy copy paste spin-offs. Fuck it.

Also have any of you guys have or played Harmony of Despair? I got to level 5 but have no heads or tail of how to get stronger or to even get good items.

Vanilla, so slow paced and slow walking. not much fluidity. Nevertheless a lot of effort and forefather of igavanias serving as pedestal and blueprint for latter excellent games.
Also excellent soundtrack.

Nice VA, corny translation. Surpassed by Aria of Sorrow on everything except the spritework.

I remember Castlevania general, one thread that devolved into castlevania, and nothing more.

user said to keep it as it is, not to fucking change the damn thing. Changing games is really fucking shitty, regardless of your objective.

HoD design is a real fucking mess. It's one of my favorite multiplayer games and I still don't understand how it works. I'm guessing you can get better items in later levels and better chests, but the problem is how shitty the loot system is, the level system itself, and how collectives work. It's a pain, and the community being dead doesn't help PC port when?NeverUnless you want pachinko

The walking is alright, fag, it's the fucking same in the later installments even.

SotN is a good game with a weak second half and great OST

The game is objectively more clunky than latter, more polished installations, whether in controls (commands for abilities) or in power ups being slower than latter iterations. (hence slow)

Sure, later games are better polished in almost everything, but the walking speed is constant in those games, I'd say is the same as in SOTN. The only different is that you get to move faster in late game.

One of the best games of its genre, whatever the fuck the genre is called. Metroidvania? Boss-Centric-Action-RPG-Exploration-Platformer-With-Fun-Backtracking-As-A-Key-Feature? Whatever.
Super Metroid is still the king, but this game's probably second place.

jumping in SOTN is really floaty.

Has too many design problems.

I should start the DS game to make a comparison about jumping. From memory, DoS is less floaty.

I'd say Castlevania games and maybe Valdis Story are the only true "Metroidvania" games, but if you don't like the term, Igavania, I guess, but I don't like that one.
Also, the game passing and objective is really different from Super Metroid, so I think the comparison is dumb other than the map system and the focus on exploration.

fuck off with your shilling

The genre needs a proper name and definition. Gotta have a huge sprawling freely explorable map, but it has to be gated off in various ways that are bypassed by abilities or equipment you find. Backtracking must be a key feature, and there must be multiple paths and sequence breaks built into the game. RPG mechanics like leveling up are not necessary, but character power progression through ever-increasing abilities or gear is an absolute necessity.
This is all why most castlevania games aren't -vanias. They're just castles.

Why? This is not metroid and that shit is stupid. It could be nice if there isn't a single path you an follow to reach the end goal, but sequence breaking as it is implied is just stupid. I do like the power progressing through gear rather than level so some choices of gear can actually be viable. I was thinking in either weapon forging like in Curse of Darkness or just looking for the weapons around.

You know where it belongs. With Symphony of the Night.

If they were going to go with Ninja Gaiden like movement then they should have made the enemies die in one hit like NG too.

Certain sequence breaks in super metroid were intended by the developers using moves like the walljump that you don't technically "learn" until later on.
Straight up glitching isn't that entertaining, but using high-precision application of established techniques to forge a new route through the game is really fun.

I like the concept but the stages need to be severely redesigned.

That kinda exists in SOTN already though, although the only instance I can think of it is the beginning of the clock tower, pretty sure you can get to the other side of the falling bridge with enough dexterity. I doubt it was intended though.

Circle of the Moon is a better game. Prove me wrong.

I know, that's what I'm talking about. It's good stuff. Whether intended or not, a sequence break feels good because it feels like you've just accomplished something beyond the bounds of normal play without actually cheating. It's what sets apart SotN and Super Metroid sequence breaks from Metroid Prime 2 sequence breaks - most of which are from glitching through the world geometry and running around the outside space, which is lame and circumvents the game rather than conquers it.

No one can.

Not really.

If it's not intended I'd say is cheating and even then I don't see what the appeal actually is. I don't feel like I accomplished any other than unlocking a short cut that doesn't make that much difference in the game.

Salt and Sanctuary is a good game.

I didn't like it for the same reason I don't like CotM: It's a mess that doesn't know what to be. Their focus to be Souls-like™ experience hindered the platforming and combat. It could have been way better.

I mean it had its problems, and I do agree that it could've been better, but I like it for what it is, even if it is flawed in many respects.

reminder that IGA made SOTN piss easy because he wanted females to get into Castlevania (and failed)

That's the reason they went for bishoujo too. I guess it just attracted males with superior taste.

Sounds good to me, unlike most of Igarashi's half-assed pieces of crap.

sauce?

Play it on luck mode without the alucard equipment and no grinding. That’s the best way too play it.

Nigga what?
190+%ing the game took about 20 hours for me my first time ever and it only occasionally felt slow when I was trying to figure out where to go next (which wasn't too often)

Also nice job ripping off old comics and movies

This is the game that basically KILLED the franchise. No challenge, bad level design, cheesy dialogue, and the time lenght you have to wait when you get a game over killed it for me.

Music was ookay, tho.

interview in GameCenterCX first season

Fuck off you know what he means and he's completely right.

No he isn't. It's not like it was the end of classicvania. They tried, but all classicvanias that followed were either shit or sold badly. They even imported Rondo and their last spurt was adventure rebirth, which is pretty good.
He's just a butthurt fag.

So how's your Metroidvania games doing now user since they obviously must be so successful?

Ask the rest of Konami's properties, user. Want to play some pachinko? Reminder that bloodstained is on the making and at the very least it looks like the gameplay is SOTN + AoSAnd I can't be any more happy

And the 3D ones set the destiny of the franchise on stone. And it doesn't matter if Metroidvaniashit gets 7 spiritual sequels, Call of Duty does it every year. And it doesn't make them any less shittier.

Sausage-fingered bitch detected. Never touch a fighting game.

No it didn't, which is why saying Metroidvanias did is retarded as well. LoS sold well, yes, LoS Mirror of Fate and LoS2 didn't, which is why Konami didn't bother with them anymore than the rest of the franchise or their other IPs. The reason there are no more Castlevania games in general is because Konami is shit, but Classicvanias and Metroidvanias are even when it comes to representation, the final spurt of each being Order of Ecclesia and Adventure Rebirth.

Last time I checked fighting games doesn't have you constantly running around in a damn castle, faggot, and even in boss fights is a bother because Nathan goes from turtle to fucking rocket.

yeah but
my dick got flaccid when I saw the original concept art and what it turned into
straight outta Makeapp

Yes, it's honestly the only downside of it, but it's so common as a let down recently that I'm unafected by it. It's not saying much, but at the very least it's turning out better than MN9.
As for the concept art, as someone who followed the development from the moment it was announced but never gave a penny, I can tell you it was planned to be 2.5D from the beginning, they even added disclaimers in the bottom of the concept art to avoid the shit show that happened in MN9.

The game would have been perfect if it wasn't for the 2.5D, but even on that regard. it doesn't look bad, just uninspired, like anything done in that style, including Sonic 4 and the new Mega Man game.

I only ever played CV64 and then COTM and then AOS, and borrowed POR from my friend for a few days
COTM > AOS but they're both top tier

It was a goddamn master peice, although I really prefer Aria of Sorrow, due to the fact you get life long wet dream of being THE Dracula himself, shame it was not as creative as Dawn of Sorrow was, the Dawn even had combos nailed, but Aria had classic pixel art which had me going

Wish they re-released SOTN in android

Retroarch or PPSSPP, retard

A two man team could only do so much, I still do think it's a great game, I could have been even more better, but as the game is, well it's very good regardless.

CUTHULU is your opening boss, souls indeed

PPSSPP is great, well as a personal preference anyways, but some of games have an adnroid reboot, for the short while their was the "Super Castlevania" on Play store as well for download, many of games such as the "Ghoul and Goblins", there we go, taking name of Satan are also available on Android, along side Megaman too, in this case I believe SOTN, AOS, DOS, will be very popular on the android platform, the Castlevania inspired Castle Of Shadow (Demon Castle) was a huge hit with gamers.

God I wish devs would stop doing that shit. At minimum the player and enemy sprites should be 2D and the 3D backgrounds and environments should be soft textured rather than everything looking like it's made of plastic or polished marble.