Buying used

What is Holla Forums's opinion on buying used, specifically as a mechanism to get a product without giving money to the company that made it. Let's say, just as an example, that the Switch gets an amount of games that you feel makes it a worthwhile purchase. Obviously you'd hesitate to just go out and buy one because Nintendo is such a scummy company and you can't justify giving them your money. Would you buy a used Switch from some local game store or Amazon vendor (obviously not from FUCKING GAMESTOP, with them also being a terrible, terrible business)? To make this easier, let's say it's a slightly newer model of the Switch without all of the issues the current iteration has like the screeching and scratching.

I bought an used 2DS for less than 30 dollars a few months ago. It felt good. Go for it.

Look, it doesn't matter if you bought an XBone for $50 and it was dipped in gold and Sex. All that matters to Holla Forums is that you bought an XBone when you're supposed to get paid to own one as consolation. Their opinions on the Switch isn't going to be any different than if you did by it fresh.

It's just console warring faggots who get upset. Slap some CFW and enjoy video games!

Oh, I'm not planning on making this purchase any time in the near future. Like the example I gave, it's more prudent to wait until they try to improve on the early design or maybe release some kind of collector's edition bundle with a really good game.

It's less about the amount of money being spent and more about deciding where that money goes. Ironically, an Xbox One was just purchased for me due to a miscommunication with a friend, but I really, really don't want it.

I buy used whenever I have the opportunity, you can typically repair/replace whatever part is damaged/broken if it is in that condition when you get it and still spend less than getting it new, especially with older devices because you can get Chinese clone components off of eBay for pennies. Only thing you can't get for cheap are touchscreen digitizers (expensive in general) and switch thumbstick replacements (proprietary and too new for Chinese clones, I'll trade my left nut for a link if any user has found a source)

I go to wherever has the best price.
If its fucking gamestop so be it because I'm still in college and can't afford to muck around. Amazon is an even greater cancer to the world than gamestop though, I try to avoid them wherever I can.
Ebay is pretty okay.
Otherwise just pirate when you can.

How about you stop looking to a shitposting board vaguely about vidya for advice and make your own goddamn decisions?

Last time I checked, this was a video game board. Also, did you even try reading the first post? This isn't an advice thread, it's a discussion about buying video games.

If you are so set into getting this fucking thing, then just buy it and stop going through loops to justify it, you fucking beta pussy. It's not like your $300 or so will make or break Nintendo.

If you want advice on purchasing this fucking crappy tablet just to play Zeldo and Mario, then we can discuss it.

Holla Forums is inherently geared towards shitposting ever since the exodus. It's not Holla Forums with vidya, because Holla Forums would actually enjoy a few games, and shitposting. Holla Forums is just a continuous CircleJerk of Hateboners.

How much did Gamestop pay you?

did someone insult your favorite game or something little babby?

The way you worded the OP is more you looking for approval from Holla Forums so you don't feel bad about getting a Switch. Just make your own opinion, faggot. Who the fuck cares what anyone else thinks?

What this guy said.

M8 fuck outta here

Check out the /tg/ Meta Thread. Somebody brought up Holla Forums and why /tg/ now has its own vidya thread. That's how other boards see Holla Forums.

I stated above that I don't plan on purchasing the system. The thread was made as a discussion about not financially supporting bad companies, similar to threads about boycotting Steam.

I actually specifically stated to not buy from Gamestop. Please try to read the thread before posting.

I'm not sure that's the case. And since it's clearly not, the rest of your post doesn't make much sense.

A Gamestop shill would say that

No one likes to see anyone do it for free

first thing I ctrl-f'd for Holla Forums with a meaningful number of replies to it
topkek m8, your board is cancer and its literally "Holla Forums is a hivemind muh games get shit on"

I had bad experience with a fat ps3. bought used one and dead in less than week. That said I always buy software used and they're very good. If you don't want to give money to company then that's your choice just like when you boycott a product. Who cares what you do?

used is a good way to fuck bad publishers, but when it comes to discs in particular you look at the disc first and even then ps2 games can look great but still not work.

Buying used depletes the used stock and keeps the pre-owned price high, driving other consumers to buy it new. Which do you think is more damning, a console that is in demand, or one that even Gamestop can't get rid of? Not to mention the fact that it increases the likelihood that you'll support its software in some way or another.

Stop looking for loopholes. If you're okay with supporting something, buy it. If you're not okay with supporting it, you cannot buy it.

If the game or system was that good then wouldn't they not sell it in the first place? :^)

I wouldn't buy the Switch because it's a piece of junk with no games, and I haven't enjoyed Nintendo games very much after the GameCube, but I normally buy my consoles used when they get really cheap. I dislike both Sony and Nintendo, so of course I will always buy their stuff used, after waiting for a very long time until it's all really cheap.

I can fix shit as well, so it doesn't necessarily have to work. Not so sure about newer consoles, though. My most recent one is still fine, so I never had to fix one, but I assume that it's not a certain success like most older systems. The PS3 is the most recent one that I own. I will probably buy a PS4 at some point for Bloodborne and Yakuza. Getting two broken ones for a good price would be nice.

As far as games go, I also got most of them used, some imported from Japan. I never liked the idea of buying used discs (and they tend to be easy to pirate anyway), but all of my games work, so I guess it's not that bad after all.

lol you're still dealing with that? I just sold an Xbox One last week, and fixed another couple.
Ideally though I try to trade vintage electronics I get at garage sales. You wouldn't believe how many hipsters want to have a small collection of LaserDiscs just because they're all over 20 years old. I pick those things up all the time and usually get about 3x what I paid for it in trade value (IE, a N2DS and a handful of games for a $50 stack of LaserDiscs).
Besides, everyone's backlog should be big enough now to be mired down until that awesome new console had plenty of time in the used circuit.

enjoy it while you can

Man, I wish I could find deals like this. People always tell me "You can find it for cheap on ebay/craigslist, check there" and when I do, it's always: the same price, higher, or barely any cheaper than buying it new. And when I do find one that actually is cheap, it's either an auction with a shit load of time left that's guaranteed to skyrocket at the end or some POS that's beat to hell and/or missing something important.

You get deals by being a social person with connections to many other people, and endlessly going on about your life to them. "I got something for 25% of its normal price" is usually a friend of a friend who heard you wanted one and was selling his old shit for cheap or something. Or a yard sale. Or just being extremely lucky on Craigslist and finding a real deal instead of a scam or ripoff. Also, facebook has a marketplace thing now that's trying to replace Craigslist for local buying and selling, which if you don't have a facebook because you're not a fucking faggot, you're probably missing out on.

There are still people who barter and haggle and give friend discounts, but you don't find them by being a shut-in who lives online. You find them by being a normalfag.

Most of my games and systems are pre-owned. Although most of my games and systems are gen-6 down.

Stop projecting for five seconds and think about what you type.

Never buy Nintendo consoles used. Their controllers are far too often shoved into people filthy holes, and there's simply no way to properly sterilize them. The WiiU might have been an exception… but, it's a WiiU, so that's even worse than being crusted over with stale vaginal seepings and fecal matter.

And I'm sure some whore has taken the shape of the controller as a challenge and tried.

Yep. Unlike piracy, buying used really is a lost sale for the publisher, and for all their posturing regarding piracy, they're well aware of that fact. The one-time use codes for multiplayer access or day1 dlc are only the beginning.

But he's right.

If you still feel the need to play the games then you have no real ideological bent to hang against the company.
You're just a tightwad.
You can just say I'm a cheapass and don't want to pay MSRP for the system.

Why?

That's a lot of folds.

It's used.

Nintendo is literally the least Jew of the big vidya companies.

Jesus christ this is more embarrassing than the moral posturing that somehow game files are important research data that needs to be shared by the fucking pirate faggots

They actually make games primarily, though. All the other big companies just make platforms for selling microtransactions.

Why are you quoting me in this post?

Someone tell me /tg/ isn't this retarded on average.

You disgust me.

Hence the term physical drm.

Because you are giving a kike scheme a pass "because they make fun game". The e-reader died for a good reason. The newer generation are just stupid enough to be suckered by the e-reader 2.0.

Considering that I'm only playing old game since there is nothing new worth buying anymore, used games are my only option. It can be a real bitch to find the original releases that came with the box and full manual. Not because of the prices though, old PC games are dirt-cheap, but because most sellers don't bother listing the contents or even putting up an actual photo instead of a boxart JPG from the internet.

I guess you're technically right, but that's like trying to find the least Jewish person in a synagogue. Whoever it is, he's still a massive Jew.

They make toys for children and make rehashes of their old easy baby games. And Happy Meal toy DLCs because they are the McDonald's of video games. That's what they do.

Nintendo is absolute fucking shit, and will possibly ruin gaming in Japan, with their success. We need to build a wall and make the nintoddlers pay for it.

But I didn't do that.

Your response:
Quit using kike argument tactics.

I was agreeing with the other user on them being the least jewish. I never said they weren't jewish.

Alright where's the dick

The 60s in a nutshell.

user, you might need to take a break…

Jesus christ.

I literally did the opposite of defending it. I explained all you had to do to circumvent it entirely.

This is your brain on neogaf.

Now explain to the normalfags who buy that shit regularly. I'm sure you will stop the physical dlc epidemic any day now. :^)

Because somehow identifying them as a shitty practice and entirely avoiding them is saying it isn't a shitty practice?

There's a dick there, I fucking know it. There's never not a dick.

That's not what you did. I have no idea how you could have forgotten in such a short period unless you have literal brain problems. See:

And then

And your response

Fanboyism affects memory. :^)

No they're still the least shitty major game corporation and amiibo, while a noticable and inexcusable blemish that brings them down, does not diminish them to a point lower than their direct competition.

Okay so let me try to get this straight:
So mocking you for trying to pose the argument of a shitty practice that is easily circumventable by explaining how to circumvent said shitty practice is excusing the said shitty practice? I'm not sure how you could come to that conclusion.

Though I don't expect logic on Holla Forums at this hour. :^)

They're significantly worse than Sony, and Sony is awful.

See where I explained this to you not 10 minutes ago. You're either a shill, or you've got a double digit IQ.

That's not the discussion we are having, though, in fact a third party that actually buys amiibo isn't even a factor in this.
The nature of the practice itself and its inhibition of access is what's being discussed.

Who the fuck are you to decide what's being discussed when you've done nothing but strawman and make a fool of yourself?

Are you retarded? You saying I said that it somehow isn't a shitty business practice isn't me saying it isn't a shitty business practice. We went over this 2 minutes after that.

I'm the one strawmanning?

It seems you've forgotten yet again. See
This is the last (You) you'll get from me unless you get your shit together.

You are a stramanning faggot.

At this point the best action would be to form definitive lists of the shitty business practices of each company and compare the two. But where do you start with each? Do you keep it current or go back to VHS vs Beramax format wars or keep it more recent with DVDs essential monopoly cartel or bring it up to date purely and only mention that all bluray discs see Sony get paid

You are literally arguing with something you made up yourself.

nintfags are truly manchildren retarded beyond down syndrome.

You're a fucking moron dude just because you can rob a bank doesn't mean bankers aren't kikes

Honestly, I think you're just upset that as far as actual consumer issues go, amiibo are low on the spectrum. I mean shit dude, you could have brought up something like Treehouse bullshit but you're fixated on $12 figurines you don't even need to own as some majorly bad business practice.

The Switch goes at about $300 on sales, but i still don't see enough games to justify a purchase, and by the time there are enough games, chances are titles like Splatoon 2 will be nearing EoL, or Nintendo will come up with a Switch Pro that will again be priced at $500 or some shit like that since their current console is weak and flimsy.

Shit you know what here's another freebie
Apparently the paid online when it rolls out is going to have games being on rental until your subscription expires like playstation plus. That puts them under fucking microsoft who let you keep the shit they throw at the people retarded enough to buy gold.

Nah, they throttle the supply for good reason. Not to mention they are locking shit behind them so they must be selling enough to continue. Once again,

Nice to see your true colors. Amiibos deserve to be shat on and no pirating method is going to fix how they squeeze the consumer dry.

I AM LITERALLY TELLING YOU FUCKING RETARDS HOW TO ENTIRELY CIRCUMVENT IT.
YOU DON'T EVEN NEED A PACK FOR THEM
NTAG215s ARE ENTIRELY REWRITABLE
HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ALL THIS RETARDED?

How does it keep doing it?

Buy what you want, but I wouldn't buy something like a Switch used. Its an up close and personal systems so whoever had it before has their """essence""" all over it. No amount of rubbing alcohol can free that.

As far as used games in general. Hell yes buy used whenever you can. Mainly because its basically impossible not too once you get 2 or more generations removed. Fact is Crystal Dynamics lost ZERO dollars on the copy of Crash N Burn I bought for the 3DO. Anybody saying otherwise is spouting industry spin at its worse.

don't waste your time here. the whole reason this was posted in the first place is because OP is underage like most posters here, and they couldn't afford a new Switch because their parents said no.

Sounds to me like they're not such a scummy company if their system has games you want to play.

This isn't some kind of emotional statement OP, it's a business transaction for a mindless entertainment product. Either you make the transaction and enjoy the product, or you go about spending your time and money doing something else. Getting it used or new doesn't matter, even if it's used someone gave their money to Nintendo to get it in the first place.

I know this is autism central but god damn

What makes Nintendo scummy?

They are the lesser of the three evils by far. They charge for online now, but they held out the longest, and its only 1/3 as much as their competitors.

That's a funny way of saying 5 years behind everyone. Anyone with half a brain was able to see that simple pattern since the GC era.

1. I buy used from normalfags, because they clearly didn't use it much and wouldn't sell it for the factory new price.
2. Buying any non-cracked current gen console is fucking retarded, because it just can't compete, first with the other cracked consoles, then with pc.
3. Generally it's reasonable assessment that buying used would hurt the company, but currently consoles themselves don't make profit from the initial sell, the scummy vidya pricing practices do. So, unless you don't count every penny you give, you are going to get fucked regardless.

Buying used physical copies of games would help dealing with problems stated in 3., but then you might as well not spend/waste any money at all if you were to pirate (2.).

fix

No, that all seems to be one guy, but the rest of the thread did point out a few major issues Holla Forums does tend to have:

Daily reminder this is what the Fire Emblem Heroes fanbase tells themselves while they pay out their asses to support Nintendo's gacha business

Why did you remind me that mobage and those niggers exist? I almost forgot how much I fucking hate nuFE for a split second.

I too have this issue. I understand why the politics of the game are relevant, but I'd like to talk about how it stands as a game at some point.

I would never buy a console used, at least not one from the PS3/Xbox360 generation and newer, because of the plethora of issues that popped up with them. I would be paranoid about getting some reballed shit.

Not sure about the switch, though. Nintendo usually makes durable hardware, so maybe a switch would be okay to get used.

Buying consoles is a retarded waste of cash, invest in a good PC then pirate and emulate.

>>>/suicide/

>>>/cuckchan/
Your kind isn't welcome here, the games are discused beyond the shitty practises behind them, you're just too new to know that or even read the threads

Because there are still people still posting stuff like this:
OP, buying a recent console that is still produced is a extremely bad idea. Buying a used switch to show it to big N is a even worse idea, because nothing summons scalpers more reliably than the word Nintendo. I am checking the prices on ebay for my region right now and some of them are beyond insane. You would be way better off with buying a Wii which "just" cost as double as much as a PS2 does just like a Xbox 360. Check out the prices for it or these. This is how much used machines should cost. You are not going to show it to Nintendo by buying a switch used, but

1. To normalfags selling their used machines that it is OK for trendhopping cuckold pretender, because there is always some Nerd willing to bail out their horrible consumption habits

2. To scalpers that there is a market for Switch and also Amiboos they have snatched up in masses.

2 along with vidya being a extremely rancid shit show until the indie scene lopped its own Dick and balls off until Blizzard, Sony and EA let them sell out to "save" their agenda and employ them over fucking Gamergays and every penny wise out there feeling nostalgic for Nintendo games lead to the insane prices for Super Nintendo and NES. Seriously, just go shopping online and IRL and compare the prices of Nintendo stuff with its competition from the time. A bog standard every faggot owned shouldn't cost $200. A common game every little shit who had said bog standard console back then has played shouldn't cost $45 and up. $60 - $100 for the machine, $35 maximum for a game. That are the reasonable prices. The prices before the boom were $35 per old console and $10 per common game in common condition shortly before the retro boom

The switch is doing well enough to stick around for six years and having enough games to justify it for $300. $500 is the current price for a Switch plus Mario Odyssey. What the fug?

Don't tell me Consoles from 2006 and after fall apart when you look at them funny. I still have my 7 year old Wii. I know of a podcaster who had his Wii and then his Wii U die on him. I have no idea what these people are doing with their machines.