Games with bad animations

I don't understand why, but I get in this really comfy mood when playing games that use goofy ass animations and slightly off character models. Something about how consistently amateurish they look makes me feel I'm actually playing a videogame instead of stupid cinematic experiences. And I'm not even talking about mistakenly bad like Ass Effect Andromeda's autism walk, I'm talking shit that had to be recorded in mocap or programmed by hand and that looks clunky yet believable. Ya dig?
What are some games with this style of animation? Best example I know is shit by Swery65, the Hitman series and Ryu ga Gotoku.

Silent Hill 1-2-3, Resident Evil 1-2-3

a lot of ps1 games I suppose. Yakuza doesn't really have bad animations however. A lot of Japanese design comes down to repetitive patterns in order to create a sense of rhythm and predictability, like having only two footstep sounds (left-right) as opposed to Western games which are largely designed in excess, that variety means quality.

kemono friends proper game never

San Andreas

All bethesda games.

What would it be like though?

It's not about them being qualitatively bad, just goofy and over the top despite the realistic setting, betraying the tone.

That would be pretty much every playstation game. Since they couldn't really convey emotions through facial expressions (outside of highly stylized games like spyro or crash).

Looks like HURHURHURRRRHURRRR

I've been torturing myself with Horizon: Feminist Dawn lately (feat. Mary Sue as Lady Jesus) - and holy fuck, in addition to the vast majority of faces being butt ugly (which I can actually see being ok… I mean… most people in the past before the invention of modern hygene, makeup techniques, and photoshop were some ugly fucking sonsuvbitches) - the facial animations are fucking bad. Almost ME:A levels of bad. Their head movements and lipsyching bear almost ZERO relation to the words being spoken or context in which they're spoken in. Heads will just bob randomly, and I've seen more than a few characters glitch and do the "Night at the Roxbury/What is Love" head bob. They are constantly twitching and swaying, like they've all been drinking out of lead pipes for the last millenia and developed neurotic ticks. Of course, that can't be it, because everyone in the fucking game is presented as being insufferable millenial soyboys and stronk womyn - not nearly angry and horny enough for that to be the cause.

Why was this game not universally shit on for farming out facial animations (in a "Cinematic" title no less) to a third world sweatshop full of barely literate kebabs?

Any NRS game

STALKER

NRS games, pic related being one of the more well known examples.
There's also this really terrible one in Injustice 2 where Red Hood launches someone into the air, jumps onto them, attaches a bomb to them and drops back down to the ground, and his opponent just hangs in the air the entire time as if he and they are operating on different levels of gravity. I can't find a .gif of it, but it looks horrendous.

That sounds like a different issue. I could see how you might be put off by how over the top they are given the grounded aesthetics of the series, but Yakuza's animations themselves are good (especially in cutscenes, 0's facial animation in particular is great).

Because the devs successfully utilized the diversity protagonist defense.

I love the old Tomb Raider animations (1-5). They weren't realistic in the slightest, they were somewhat robotic, heavily exaggerated and stylised, and that's what made them so good.
I also have a thing for low-poly with minimal textures and that helps too. This overdone modern shit that barely runs at sub-1080p sub-30fps just shits me to tears. 1080p 60fps should be the minimum. Add bells and whistles after that, if you can keep the resolution and framerate.
But no, we're left with modern gaming's focus on mocapped 2 hours worth of gameplay in a six hour "game" that is in every way worse than a movie aside from the whack-a-mole shooting sections in between Joss Whedon-tier "banter".
Sorry for the blog post.
Tomb Raider Classic for life.

best fucking song though

Just make a webm.

OK I'll post a 15 mb webm next time. My bad.

But the point is that webms take up less space than gifs.

I'd rather have the stiff 3D era animations than the realistic HD era animations that make your controls unresponsive as fuck because you can't just turn, you have to wait until your bolshevik/nigger/cuck/redditor decide it's time to take the turn.

A WebM from that gif would be 500KB without any quality loss easily.

This game is unbelievably charming.
The animation is bad, the graphics were primitive at release, so much of the writing is just goofy and it's a blatant rip-off of Twin Peaks.
But I can't hate it.

Don't forget how those last few ending cutscenes hit the heart when Zach talks about his friends. More emotional impact than games with 10x the quality and 50x the budget.

Thing is, bad animations as a product of laziness is different from bad animations as a product of limitations or style. Shit like this or nu MvCI is just greedy execs outsourcing and downsizing to maximize profits, shit like what they did in Killer7 and the like is just because the dev team couldn't get much else to work on the engine.

low-poly or bad cgi Lara just feels right, it's a product of its time, it's like remaking Pong and giving personality to the bars oh wait they did that on the ps1

Most of the OST is absolutely fantastic. There's something so irritating and menacing about deranged free form jazz, exactly the mood they wanted to set.

I noticed that these overly charming games tend to have like a LOT of side missions and gameplay mechanics touched once and almost never again. I think the best part of the game is definitely the magical poncho you get if you step into the rain and the fact that flies will swarm you if you don't change your suit.

Dark Souls 2 has some really bad ones, especially the Falconers.

it is fucking amazing, how the whole town is just so off putting, and out of nowhere it turns into bizarro world with zombies
I was waiting to see the end of the game and turns out the detective had some sort of weird mental issues
still have to playthrough to finish

true to that, specially legends had some incredible sexy swagger
I don't think nuLara loses anything to them though
both of them incredibly fapworthy and good representations of their time
sadly not enough good fap material