Ironman/Permadeath

Does anybody of you plays games on "Ironman" mode or any similar mode with permadeath and save wipe?

no

No. Because that's fucking stupid. I'm not about to use up hours of my time just to possibly have all of it wasted by a single glitch.

i play on permadubs mode

>>>/neofag/

Why such a casul, user?

I play games in "Titaniumman" mode where I destroy my pc if I ever even install a game. Get on my level scrubs.

Fucking Wizard Steve.

I did The Witcher 2 on Insane difficulty which had permadeath save wipes. It was honestly easier than Dark Mode, which was a post-launch edition that made the game even harder, but it didn't corrupt saves.
It was honestly a very fun experience since you had to properly prepare before battles, think like a witcher, and make pragmatic rather than idealistic decisions, especially toward the end.
And then there are rogue-likes and rogue-lites, like FTL, which forces you to start over but allows you to unlock different ways to play through as some kind of progression system, but it's not really different from choosing race and class in Nethack, you just have to unlock them first.

Sure is nu/v/ around here

Sometimes you just want to play games comfy. I have to blow off steam from playing Star Citizen on Below-the-Deep mode where time warps to delay the game further any time I even acknowledge its existence.

I'm sorry you were born retarded, but there's no reason to gamble 999999 hours of your life. You end up with "Whoop, misfortune befell you, kill yourself!" Whether it be glitch, or a natural disaster, or some kind of food or drink mishap, maybe some kind of bladder explosion - sometimes bad things happen. If bad things happen and you can't load a save then you've just wasted all of that time - or at the very least, that's how it feels. It's a very frustrating and irritating kind of feeling. In fact, I wish it weren't an idea that were in any devs heads. If you want to play with "Iron man" rules, go ahead. If you die, stop playing, but this kind of "Iron man" design has started to get into games and it's really fucking gay. Achievement-driven design is bad design.
Also, games don't tell me shit. I'll be a fucking monkeys uncle if I'll let a game tell me my playthrough is over. Suck my dick, game. You're ones and zeroes on a magnetic chunk of metal, I'm a HUMAN FUCKING BEING with hot blood going through my veins.

What a hideous character design.

It's ok when entire playthrough takes 1~1.5 hours and relies purely on my skill, like in good ol 16 bit days.
I still go and do superhard run in Alien Soldier from time to time.

But for something that takes 70+ hours and relies solely on RNG?
Thanks but no thanks, I don't hate myself.

This. I don't like wagering my success on the mere unpredictability of a glitch being able to render a run unfinishable, either by death or softlock. Why the hell would I entrust it to RNG?

You're gonna manipulate every roll in X-COM? It only takes one to permanently fuck you.

Only in games like roguelikes where they're built around that kind of play or in games where the environment changes every playthrough. Restarting, losing hours of progress and doing the same thing over and over at the beginning are not fun.

FOOLISH MORTALS, YOUR DOOM IS CLOSE AT HAND

Something most games don't do right, moreso western ones.
Front Mission series is a good example of RNG management game.
Xcom or DOS are not.

Just like the cheat and for similar reasons, it sounds boring as hell to me

I played a LORE OMG VAATI VIDYA run of darksouls where if I respawned and was not able to immediately become human I deleted the dude, and forbade myself from farming humanity phantoms
took a couple tries but it was fun

this thread is doing iron man numbers and I don't need you anymore

Mitigation of an obsolete mechanic. Still not ideal.

Diablo 1 Ironman is fantastic because of the level design, and it makes the game difficult again.

Show me it's replacement.

No RNG.
Don't thank me.

X-com and fire emblem is the only type of games that ironman should be allowed.

So you admit you don't know shit about game design and are just some underage faggot talking out of his ass? Okay. You can go back to playing the latest Call of Duty now.

Yes, but then I make a copy of the save file so I can reload if I die.

lol

Do your parents know you're gay?

Nah, I know I'd lose my motivation to continue playing as soon as I died and had to restart.

i'll stop being a casual when they stop casually coding shit that breaks.

No, because theres no incentive.
No, thats retarded. OoooOOoooh woooOOOoow a TiiiiTle
Tie a ribbon around me.
And who the hell is going to be impressed by it? Who actually goes out of their way to look at Iron Man leader boards?
Whoopdie doo! So is streamer-bait games except those draw in more numbers

Heres how to make Iron Man modes good: Give a payout.
It could be momentary or not, maybe a linked account that will give you a special wealth payout depending on your progress you made in the Iron Man, hitting specific milestones and whatnot.
Who the hell is going to be impressed that you'd waste possibly hundreds of hours and either suffer from a fluke accident or someone with no fear of death destroying all of your progress. The only outcome is this: You die, you've literally wasted hours of your life for high stress and little entertainment value, the hours you've worked on a character could have got you an ATV or dirt bike if you put that in work hours and that would give you a higher adrenaline rush than Iron Man modes could give you, and your reward is a leader board rank which no one will bother to check unless you're in the top ten and you'll be the only one to be able to know who you were unless you directly reference your main in your username and thats five levels of pathetic
And thats five levels of hippie bullshit that I don't want to get into.

No incentive=completely pointless
completely pointless=intentionally wasted time
Intentionally wasted time=complete retardation

I do if the game doesn't have moments that you die for bullshit reasons.

No. Because that's fucking stupid. I'm not about to use up hours of my time just to possibly have all of it wasted by a single glitch.

X-Com is very easy with proper tactics, losing a few people is no big deal.

What's the point of playing a game that you can't lose?

Torchlight 2 yes. I find it makes me play smarter.

Seriously where are all these fucking casual plebeians coming from? Cuckchan? NeoFag lite?

I've done that for vanilla FO:NV very hard + hardcore before
I died once for being overwhelmed and a few times from traps and companions activating them
In the end I decided to go solo with high Strength, Endurance, Intelligence, and luck and cleared the game + DLC all with one life
The feeling of knowing that if I died I would have to restart multiple hours of gameplay made the game more exciting as there was actually a consequence for my failure while committing save data seppuku was extremely hard to go through, sometimes deleting a save due to some unfair bullshit was the worst

So what would incentivize you to ironman something?

In the original X-Com rookies were so disposable I sometimes just had them arm a bomb and run into buildings with aliens in them.

It's the only way to play

How is the new Runescape btw?
I've been thinking of getting back into MMO's and heard that you can buy membership in RS with in-game currency and that it has an ironman mode now

Does the Ironman/Permadeath mode add anything fun to the series, if anybody here still plays it, what is the ironman mode about and do you personally like it?

it's not a new runescape, it's an old runescape that has been pozzed by the developers. some of the new stuff they've added has been all right tho

Give a payout for when you die when you've reached certain milestones, like incredibly rare gear, gold, XP Boosts that I can redeem on a non-ironman character once the ironman dies.
Just not make it a complete waste of time and give a good incentive to what is a gamble

Why don't you just start playing good games, user?

Probably the stupidest mechanic ever conceived. Anyone who willingly plays games pretending they need to delete their save if they die should challenge themselves even further and play on "you die in the game, you die in real life" mode.

One life permadeath works in roguelikes/roguelites and adventure games and in pretty much nothing else.
Now a game over after losing multiple lives is OK in a much wider selection of games, especially if you can earn extra lives.

I would if game breaking bugs isn't an issue. It's very cool in Invisible Inc but I also rarely savescum in anything anyways.

Have you guys played Skyrim with Rogue-like Encounters, random alternate start and with permadeath mod?
It would turn skyrim into pretty much a roguelike game.

I only play ultramegasuperextremegigamachodivineinfinuitehardcore. If I lose, it's game over, it wipes the save, wipes my entire harddrive and then explodes the computer into shrapnel, and then releases a virus that kills me, which will then spread and extinct the entire human race, before igniting a charge of antimatter that blows up the planet, and then opening a hole to reverse dimension which causes a simultaneous paradox and spacetime inversion, annihilating the mutiverse.

Why? Because I just don't like you.

I want a game where if you kill your enemies - you die in real life.

Only if there is some checkpoint system or SOME safety net. A good system would be Hero Points that you can spend to avoid death, but you only have very few.

It's ironic, D&D is mean to be played Ironman style, for extra immersion (and to stop you from hoarding potions)

DEATH TO THE FALSE GOD!

Ironmeme is for the same faggots that come up with retarded ways to play the same fucking pokemon for the 1000000th time instead of just playing a different game like an intelligent person.

Sounds perfectly reasonable tbh.

No. I got old and have less time, it's pointless for me to play games where I can lose all my progress.

The only exceptions are games that were built from the ground up with permadeath. I still fire up Dorf Fort every now and then.

Hi dsp.

I do because I'm totally a hardcore gamer and have to wave my dick on anonymous imageboards.

Yes. I did it in the past with easy games such as the Resident Evil & Silent Hill series, I also did the Devil May Cry series in DMD modes without taking damage and played lots of hardcore characters in Diablo 2. More recently, I have finally completed all the Soulsborne games at SL100 without dying (took a while, but it was worth it imho). Right now I am trying to finish all the Soulsborne games on SL1 (with up to 5 deaths allowed as a sort of training wheels), started doing so with Dark Souls.

Iron man style gaming forces you to get up close and personal with games' mechanics, which I really enjoy. I don't do this all the time though (and only with games I really like), there's also fun in just burning through strings of games in a row.

Sure, its no fun without permadeath in some games, but in other it doesnt really make sense for me, like in divinity. May be after you finish it a few times, sure, but I dont see how anyone would like to do that. Unless they play in co-op. Witcher 3 also has permadeath but combat is shitty so I dont understand why anyone would do that to enjoy the game. But I think its really good in games such as xcom, parajews strategies and such to prevent savescumming.

Depends. I sometimes do it in GSG to avoid the urge to savescum, and I did it in No Man's Sky to add at least some layer of fun to an otherwise boring game. I don't do it in games where dying is more common; never had a particular desire to achieve no-death runs in games, which is basically all that is.

Sometimes, really depends on the game if it fits. Enjoyed it with Dead Space 2 for example while Alien Isolation slowed it down a bit too much, especially with the sometimes wonky Alien AI

It's a gaymen you are doing, it's for your entertainment only you retard
Are you 13? Because who tries to impress someone with what they do for themselves?

Only if roguelikes or otherwise turn-based games. I'm getting old, my reflex is not the same as 20 years ago.

It is a waste of time if the game isn't designed for it. Death should have some effect on the game such as the inclusion of bones files or altering the state of the world. Otherwise, you might as well play the regular mode and try not to die.