How do we create another Runescape experience?

How do we create another Runescape experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

runescape.wikia.com/wiki/One_Small_Favour
u.lewd.se/Z6otLm.7z
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can't.

We could play Neverwinter Nights

What kind of faggot wants the Runescape experience?

What is "the Runescape experience"?

Fishing lvl?

flash1:wave:gratz

It's really easy actually. First, you go to McDonalds and order a super sized Double Big Mac meal and eat it. Then wait for a few hours. Next, you head over to your kitchen, you grab a plate and you squat over it. This is the important part. What you want to do now is shit out that McDonalds you had a few hours before right onto that plate (make sure it all lands on the plate). Now, you are left with the true Runescape experience. Dig in and enjoy!

Sadly that ship has sailed Anons. You will never live in 2005 internet ever again.

Shit user I forgot about that. I used to shitpost with that outside of vally bank.

New Runescape is okay

Remove the last decade of faggots who are now playing MMOs.

Was it the graphics? It'd be easy enough to do that now, even for an indie.

Or was it the world layout itself? The interactions with other plays? You can't really force those. The grinding?

2005 internet is small time.

It was the atmosphere and the people that gave Runescape its charm. You could come across some random faggot while fishing or mining and start talking and become friends.
That was before the globalization of the internet, and the normalfag tides of 2007 and beyond.

My favorite memory was of people leveling up their woodcutting, fishing, and cooking skills in a small community. People would fish nonstop, and hand out fish for people to cook. People would cook them over fires the woodcutters made, and then give the cooked fish out for buffs that would help them get XP gains. Every once in awhile someone would say they were done cooking, and they switch places with a fisherman. Meanwhile everyone would chat happily and shoot the shit. That time was amazing.

When you got internet for the first time and you were busy playing shitty actionscript games on Cartoonnetwork, Newgrounds, Armor Games basically minigames as a fun past time.
But then suddenly out of the depths of the internet you find a game which isn't Counter Strike where you screw around with a max of 16-32 players.
You find a game which allows up to 2000 players per server. Ooohhh the lord.

You find a Java RPG game where your stats actually SAVE, where your repetition is saved and rewarded. But once you go inside PvP you lose everything.

You find a whole eco system in 3D with its own economy, scams, community, stupidity, just like real life but in digital form!! Where even PvE is competitive because you need to keep away all the assholes occupying your farming/grinding areas.

Then the ultimate Runescape experience. You find the wilderness.The PvP area where you lose everything. Your heart races and skips a beat with every hit you receive and give. The endorphins and dopamine get released once you manage to kill someone or you manage to die. Your smile cracks your cheeks when you actually get to kill someone.
You hopelessly cry like a motherfucker when your characters does the death animation that takes up to 5 seconds and the death rattle plays and you end up back in Lumbridge armourless. You throw away your keyboard, mouse and brains as all your hard 7-30 day work grinding away for your equipment just got wasted in the span of 3 hours of heart-racing gambling fun.
PvP is like gambling, but better.

You constantly stare at the mini map and make sure your running energy is at 100%, you make sure you stay within level 20 wildy and make sure you have your teleport spell ready.

But then what's the next best thing in an MMO aside from PvP? MONEY. Hard cash.
You have money, you control the newbies, the bitches, the clans, the backstabbers.
With money you shape your community and get the best gear and the best loyal qt 3.14 gfs and sluts to follow you around like your loyal lapdogs.

Oh and the clans. When you hope some retard doesn't missclick on you or when you're the leader making the sheep go wherever you want. Or when you're an expert scammer making the faggots give away their belongings at the prospect of winning your party hat.

Don't get me started on Puzzle Pirates.

You made me sad user, I wish that the old internet communities would come back. I remember the time when I could shitpost on Omegle without wanting to kill myself that much

You can't.

you'd think at least one open world game would use a similar system to maximize their world size, but no

What you're talking about is a cultural environment, not a game. If you can figure out how to engineer one of those, let me know.

The game largely shapes the cultural environment. You can't have passable players playing HARDCORE SUPER RAID WOWCLONE MMO PAY FOR CASH LEVEL 80 CHARACTER INSTANTLY!

Hitler had the feels of feels alright.

Just play Old School you geek

Yeah all these faggots who tried to profit off video games by writing guides/walkthroughs certainly ruined the biggest aspect of mmorpgs. Gaining "insider knowledge" was one of the biggest reasons people liked to socialize in game and build friendships.
Ever notice how people simply don't chat in any video games anymore? I've played WoW, Guildwars2, Rift, all of them had massive groups of people who had to work together to complete objectives, yet never said a single word to each other. Sure there are guilds, but even those are just for benefits such as passive buffs and to have access to raid groups on the weekends. Even in guilds only a small inner circle of people really chat who are close friends with the guild leader and know each other in real life.
It seems we have crossed the event horizon in game quality and theres no going back.

Spot the normalfag.

The "wheel" drops clue scrolls iirc

You must be a newfag or something who never experienced old runescape. Who wants to play a game where all the cities are ghost towns and feel like single player rpgs?

Better question, who would want to play with faggots that play MMOs in current year? Half of what made online games so good was that the playerbase were there for the game first and foremost. Now a days most faggots that play MMOs want the "social" aspect and would rather treat it as a virtual chatroom rather than a fucking video game.

That's more of a problem with the change in gaming demographics and the industry as a whole though which really isn't able to be fixed.
I hear Holla Forums-scape is good though

Because companies are actively dissuading players from intereacting with people. In MMOs you can now group up for a dungeon with people without ever saying a word. In ASSFAGGOTS you can't talk to people because your can get banned when people don't like you trying to give them advice. For fucks' sake, Hearthstone, which is a fucking casual as hell CCG, there's no option to speak with your opponent at all because Blizzard didn't want to risk their babies getting offended if they ended up going against someone who was mildly competitive. Companies are systematically removing and sort of social aspect of the video games because they don't want there to be anyone talking to make a game look bad to investors.

90% of what made Runescape fun was the community. The sence of "Hey, lets do this thing together" mixed with chill gameplay made it more of a social interaction than a enthralling gameplay attraction. Sadly, a good community isn't something you can mass produce.

That's an easy one to answer.

The strongest points about Runescape IMO:
And the weakest points:

It goes beyond just not wanting to be banned for offending someone. The same parallels are observed in real life society.
Its called living in a low-trust community where everyone just keeps to them selves.

Instead you get runescape.wikia.com/wiki/One_Small_Favour

If you think about it, it really is the same principle. No one wants to say anything or stick their neck out because they don't want to get hit with PC culture or be the one that gets fucked because people stabbing each other in the back is becoming more and more common. The MMO landscape has just mirrored it.
Every time I am reminded of this fact it brings a chill to my spine for some reason.

The problem is that those companies are right, the people who play video games are just unbearable. Have you ever played any popular online game? Let me tell you how it looks, almost every game has faggots shitting "KYS", "1v1 me" all over the chat coupled with spamming outdated redditt memes. They limit social interaction because people you would have to interact with are awful, which is bad for business. It's low tier shitflinging, it isn't even good banter, there is no effort put into it. I think the communities of online games just changed for the worse because of the influx of self-righteous normalfags and 12-year olds. It seems that the changes are made to adapt to that, which in turn makes the situation even worse.

It's a vicious cycle.

You have to prevent any sort of online wiki or guide from being created. Discovery is a major part of the experience.

I can't remember the point I started using guides for quests. I know a few bullshit ones like Underground Passage I did. By the time I maxed herb, I had enough money (not a lot, maybe 20-40m at the time, when party hats were billions or more), and at that point I didn't want to waste time doing legwork when I just wanted to be efficient

Christ, do I even want to log in right ?

right now?
Absolutely not.
I just remembered I had memebers for like 5 years after winning a contest and both current and old school are utterly shit now.

The GE didn't kill it for me. If anything, it made selling shit I farmed and getting particular items much easier. It was the combat. The rework was dumb. I even bought $80 worth of roulette spins so I could get a particular summer dragon armor set. I'm missing the torso or something.

I miss bumbling around Al Kharid like a fucking moron trying to tan my hides and crossing the Lumbridge gate.

No user, the real way was to stand in one spot all day typing away like a mad man hoping someone buys your shit!
That's the real PLAYER INTERACTION™ way of doing things.

Well, while you could bumble around like a moron there have been steps to make the experience so much worse than just straight grinding like a bot such as stamina fluctuation and tic skipping. You might as well just Home tele back and forth.

Also it isn't worth it to roll back to level 1 everything for OSRS.

Nah bro. It happened before then. Though I would agree it is a compounding factor

Empty as fuck, though. But yeah, it's fun. Actual interaction, even if it's just gay global rather than brother miners

To be fair, some people did use non scimmies, thanks to no wiki at the time meaning most folk didn't know the massive difference in effectiveness.
I used and swore by the warhammer for ages, as an example. All until I got my d long, anyway.

comfy grinding, nice music, mild chatrooms (as in you can run away from them antisocially) a sense of building ones self to be the best (the best at what? who cares). ummmmm. social engineering (tricking people and killing them in the wildlands, on this one just no policing)

The real way was to get one single guy as a dedicated buyer who always is actually conning you out some 200gp each item, because you were too stupid to spend a full day trying to discover actual pricing.

Yes its easier but removes a major aspect of the game. Wanting shit to be easier is for filthy casuals.

Wheres your inferno cape then nigger

I acutally didn't mind that because unlike WoW where you had to activley grind, you could grind in RS while watching tv or chatting in IRC. Some of my best internet memories are me and 30 other regulars in a swiftswitch irc shooting the breeze for hours.

What pisses me off is that OSRS had a real chance, but players who started playing in 2011 insisted they add it back in (along with other cancerous shit like god swords), and then promptly left back to RS3. All of my friends who joined back up had 50+ in all skills quit after they added it back in.

It actually worked though. The time you put in trying to buy or sell something meant that there was a time cost you had to factor in to any interaction. Auction house made it so buyers could put up lowest price and just leave the offer up forever, waiting for someone to finally sell it while buyers did the opposite. If anything it made it harder for new players to enter the economy as once profitable but slow avenues of income (fetching, high alching, runecrafting, mining, etc.) suddenly became not worth it. You could mine 10k rune essence but buyers would just put up an offer for the lowest possible price and no one would buy more, as the average price lowered the auction house would allow buys to put an even lower price, and the price of raw materials hit rock bottom. Auction house also introduced a Jagex priced economy, so the player driven aspect of the economy was ruined. It was one of the most unique aspects of runescape.

When you're like 10 years old and want to play an online game with your friends, but your friends' parents or your own parents won't buy you a new game, so instead you find or get dragged in by friends to play a free one to play in a web browser.

That was sort of my story. This was before I pirated games, but even then I quit Runescape before doing that.

so instead you find a free one to play in a web browser, or get dragged in by friends.*

I remember the first time I completed a clue scroll, got a zamorak god page, found a buyer on the forum for 200k, agreed to meet and sold it. No idea how much they sell for now, but I remember them dropping to below 100k.

The GE was terrible, and yes trading before it was more fun.

Are you mentally handicapped? You're meant to use an auto typer you autistic mongoloid. Or you could just list your stuff on the forums, or with OSRS there were various websites for you to list your stuff on and you actually had to talk to people and haggle to trade.

I agree completely the economy was unlike any other game for its time even valve copied it's hat based economy. I remember I wanted to earn my first million in the game so I mined like 100k Coal. The primary resource in the game. Some people would low ball me because they were willing to wait while others wanted the coal now and would give more for it. You could actually wheel and deal in the game and just make a profit trading, selling and buying if you devoted enough time to it. When someone was feeling generous they would have drop parties and drop random items on the ground and there was a 3 minute public appearance wait for items on the ground. So suddenly the ground would fill with run armor everyone would run to it and madly click it was fun. Hell back then you could say "HEY" to someone running by and they would stop run back and ask "Whats up?" I haven't seen that done in an MMO for a long time. Had trouble with a quest ask someone higher level and they would most likely help you if they had the time.

You can't. The communities that made these games great no longer exist.

Never even played this game for some reason. Just here to say that you're right, and that it can be applied to everything. The internet itself has been dying for the same reason, and it fucking sucks.

This sounds a lot like Wurm sans the quests.

there's your problem

Nice inconveniences

I played the game for many years and never got banned for autotyping.

Being the jew is the fun part. What?

It was a big amount for me.

Before G.E. you had choices, you could barter and negotiate with people, make deals, connections with friends, use the forum, or consider creating or finding a desired item yourself. Trade could happen in many different spots in the world.
After the G.E., it was always the easiest and most convenient option. Trading as a whole reduced to a few clicks on a menu without ever meeting or talking to anybody. No negotiation or bartering, price range was fixed, and it was easy as hell for jew clans to manipulate the system by buying all of one type of item, having its price skyrocket and sell it again for massive profits. Trade from this point on was only done in one location.
I will gladly take all the inconveniences in the world to not have a game botched like this.

You mean the masses of people trading at the bank all got banned?

At least the old music is still enjoyable.

/thread ;_;

Kill yourself for thinking that meeting people in game and fucking around with them isn't some great shit.

That's the issue, on paper auction houses and group finders sound like a life saver, but you're removing the whole social aspect of it that makes it fun. Because it turns out, that having a town full of chucklefucks yelling about how they need a healer to beat Dread Lord Johnny Dicks and actually forming friendships that way was the most fun part of MMOs.

I both love and hate that channel that uploads old rs music. Love because I can relive the memories of being underleveled and underequipped as fuck and venturing the pk areas looking for dead bodies to loot. Hate because I know I will never experience that again.

This exact thing happened to me. I was mining in the Dwarven Mines beneath Falador and met a guy named Camiloo2. We shot the shit and he added me and we ended up fast friends.
I was just a dumb kid who wanted to waste time skilling back then, and Camiloo had all these crazy schemes to make money that he always pulled me into.
We once set up a flax and bowstrings company where we supplied flax to people, bought their bowstrings from them at half the market price (because they didn't have to purchase or pick the flax themselves) and then sold it for profit, essentially making money doing fucking nothing.
He also brought me along to do quests all the time and just hang out, even though he soon out leveled me and I didn't really have the drive to grind.

One day he up and quit Runescape, told me he probably wouldn't be logging in again. By that time I had considered him a pretty good friend even though we had no outside the game contact.
I kept him on my friends list for years, peeking at his name occasionally and remembering the fun we had. In that time I had become friends with some kids in real life who played the game and we all did our PKing and questing and shit over 3 way phone calls.

Fast forward to us entering high school. IRL friends have become huge stoners and are basically worthless and unpleasant to talk to, but we are still "friends" so I can't just make em fuck off.
They bot and buy gold and are just the scummiest players but they don't give a shit when I protest so I stop bothering. They also play on each other's accounts but I'm a suspicious s.o.b. so I don't let em on mine.
Time goes on and I get burnt out on the game, play once every so often just to keep my "friends" from bitching. One day I decide to finally let them play on my account after changing my password.

Turns out it was that day that Camiloo2 decided to log back on to runescape. He was excited to see my character log on and tried to chat him up, not realizing that it wasn't me. I can just imagine my faggot stoner acquaintance just lying through his teeth about the "good old days" just to fuck with my old friend.
He later told me about it and said that Camiloo2 actually fucking gave him his account information as a farewell gift, because he thought I'd appreciate it more. Faggot "friend" then claimed he forgot it, but we all know what really happened.

I am no longer friends with the stoners. That moment really made me realize how shitty some people can be. To this day I'm filled with regret that I let someone play on my account and I missed my chance to connect with my old friend in Runescape.

Camiloo2, if you are out there, Death_98789 remembers you fondly and he is not a retarded child anymore.

here's the old soundtrack in midi
u.lewd.se/Z6otLm.7z

danke

The theme song sounds neat on guitar.

I'm guessing it's being underage and playing on a shitty aging Compaq that your parents passed down to you because you can't afford real video games

You're not wanted in this thread

It's fucking hard to make internet friends now. Everyone already has a community and they'll never leave it for anything.
Playing FF14 after years of quitting MMOs cold turkey just disgusted me. I don't think I had a single real conversation with anyone in that game from 1-70. Everything was just waiting for a queue to pop or spamming chat during an event.

It's pretty true, RS wasn't really a real video game, it was more a social pastime.

this
Global chats in MMO's are now either RP fags getting their rocks off with their faggy RP's or newbs asking for someone to handhold them through some part of the game that they arent yet leveled for.
God I miss 2005.

I have never known an adult human male who plays Runescape. The last time I talked to someone who actively played Runescape was in high school, 15 years ago.

Runescape's skills and progression in general is fascinating to me, always was. It adds a certain "mysticism" to the world, rare items actually have this incredible power and value to them esp when you're only in the early-midgame like 30 and 40s combat stats. No other MMO has replicated the feeling of finally getting that whip or the Crystal Bow etc.
And RS's skill system was just so cool and unique at the time. No classes, no shoehorning of mechanics. Just a simple combat system which only made up a part of the gameplay while all the crafting and gathering skills were equally as big if not moreso. Also the fact that early on you were REQUIRED to interact with the playerbase to acquire some of the best items and to make serious money really added a lot of value to not just the items but to the overall "feel' of the game. Going around banks and purveying items was such a unique experience esp for a young player who didn't look things up and wasn't even aware of all the items in the game. It really made the game world come alive.

I wish that MMOs would stop being such pussy's about taking risks. They experiment with not having any sort of "instant trade" centers and with not having classes. Runescape was making insane money back in the day, I'm sure it could be replicated.

People never want to try new games, it's all about habit. I can't stop playing League of Legends because it's the only fucking way I can stay in contact with a few of my faggot friends. I can get them to try something new for maybe 4 days or so at best, and usually they're only willing to try out some minigolf game or something like that Which are pretty fun, but you only get 2 hours of play out of them.

I still have fond memories of late summer nights in what must have been junior high, playing Runescape on the computer with Fullmetal Alchemist, FLCL, the first season of Bleach and other anime playing on the TV, talking to fellow late night travelers I'd find in the game, and not having a care in the world other than some asshole following me from lonesome world to lonesome world, stealing the Magic Trees I was chopping.

I'm not so sure. As an user said earlier, for a game similar to Runescape to happen again requires a good community, which is nigh impossible nowadays. You can thank third-worlders or shitskins in general for that. The best solution for dealing with them is to put a pricetag or a subscription on the game, but that doesn't filter them all out. Also, the normalfag invasion of video games has decreased the genuineness of players dramatically.
Want my opinion? I think it's possible for an MMO to rid itself of all bad eggs if it makes the difficulty really high. Look at touhou, for instance. Gotta say that almost every touhou fan I've met is really chill and cool, kind of like how the people I've met on Runescape in the late 2000's were. The only problem with this solution is that, like you said, it's too risky for developers to attempt. As far as they are concerned, what matters isn't the genuineness and quality of the players; it's the quantity and how much coin they are willing to part with (It just so happens that it's usually the mongrels that do this)

The only good thing about RS3 is all the chill ass music that came out of it.

I definitely agree that difficulty will drive the community destroying players out. Runescape itself did this with its punishing deaths, esp in areas like the wilderness. Losing equipment is an excellent way to do this and I think is a feature that should be a staple. It adds real meaning to your characters life if dying can cost you items which have already been established to have incredibly high value. The modern MMO method of just sucking some XP out is anemic. It means nothing but a bit of time, and at max level its literally meaninigless.
Though I think you still need to have a blance with the difficulty. Having difficult and easy parts of the game sectioned off into areas like RS did is a perfectly acceptable way so long as there aren't obvious "seams" that break the immersion. The modern MMO method of how each region of the game is linearly tuned for higher and higher levels is dogshit. It makes the game world feel even more artificial. Runescape did it right, there were areas with clearly stronger monsters, but you could walk all over the world and still encounter lower leveled NPCs and lower leveled quests.Which brings me to another point. The quests needs to be fewer in number and greater in meaning. Some RS quests were serious time investments like the Elf Forest one that gave you the Crystal Bow. I remember setting the crystal bow as my goal when I ifrst saw someone with it. It was an epic journey to get that item, it took doing a lot of really long quests and it felt like I was actually progressing towards something meaningful. And When I got it I felt properly rewarded. Runescape has like 1/10th the quests of a game like WoW but some of those quests are honestly better than virtually all the WoW quests combined. In general, MMOs need to stop handholding the player so much and they need to divert away from this idea of quests being the primary method of leveling your character and progressing.

The first person I've seen who admits how shit the GE is. Nothing like real 2007scape.

Couldn't agree more. I don't know about you, but the biggest turn-off for me is when a game stops you from playing just so it can teach you something. Granted, newbie island was kind of like that, but it didn't quite feel like handholding, or at the very least, not the kind of handholding you're subjected to in a modern game.
Another subject in which you hit the nail on the head is the quest content. Fetch quests and other assortments of "go here, kill this" ruined RPGs and MMORPGs alike. The progression of this can be seen most clearly in the TES games, specifically Morrowind -> Oblivion -> Skyrim. How many fucking quests in Skyrim had you go in some cave, kill draugr, grab some artifact, and leave through a convenient shortcut?

Project: Gorgon had some generic MMO deaths but did something cool

Any special dungeon/raid instanced boss usually had a curse-style attack. If you were afflicted, nothing happened if you could kill them. But if you died, you would be permanently stuck with a curse until you defeated them. The first one is a harmless "big head" mode that prevents you from wearing headgear, but later ones eg, polymorph you into a cow and that completely changes the dynamic of the game, for example

That sounds fucking BALLER AS SHIT

See I love this kind of stuff. Its unique, it adds flavor and actual weight to interactions in the game. When I play "themepark" MMOs like WoW or SWTOR there's no weight to anything I'm doing, it feels like I'm not even playing the game until I get the max level and can raid and even then its just some shit gambling-like scenario with a chance to get something good that keeps people coming back.

Gorgon was a meme FOTM MMO that Holla Forums played for a few months. It's primarily a combat hotbar based MMO like many others. Comfy setting and mechanics, though.

You pick two combat skills, for example Ice Magic and Necromancy, or Daggers and Shield and you unlock tiered abilities for them as you level up and use them. But it also has something like 50 other skills, like Art Appreciation, Dying, Potion Making, Farming, Cow, etc

Of course you can, silly.
Just make a world with effort in their quests and attention to detail in the many things to level up. Project Gorgon seems promising if they get actual talent in their team for quest-making and more lore-building in their world.
They need better writers and better model designers.

bank sale no noobs

The same way we create another vanilla WoW experience, user.

R U N
E S C A P E

feels good man

Come to think of it, I bet shit like that is why we don't fall for microtransactions and bullshit. Nu-gamers never got those important experiences that teach you everyone is out to fuck you.

Somewhat off topic, but I have to doubt that the current generation is even taught proper internet protocol in regards to personal information by school or parents. So many places seem to want an assload of personal information these days to sign up, as well as the general encouragement to use real identities for online interaction rather than artificial user names.

DOFUS, MapleStory and Endless-Online were better.

RS and WoW were normalfag mainstream shit, the CoD of MMOs.

(cont)

DOFUS because it was and still is the only turn-based tactical MMO. The world is comfy, and riddled with dark humor. 12 unique classes that catered to every possible playstyle. The markets and economy are entirely player-driven. You could level up a job/profession and make good income by providing other players with valuable resources or crafting your own gear. RS does not even come close to this level of economy.

MS was comfy as fuck and has great soundtrack. It also has a free market but not as in-depth as Dofus. The visual art style was gorgeous to look at, vibrant and colorful similar to Rayman/Cuphead.

Both of these MMOs gave you a big dopamine rush when you did high damage. The damage dealers were seen as badasses and had a lot of respect. Healsluts knew their place, and thieves/archers had their own thing going. The only downside of MS was the emo/goth MySpace faggots it attracted, and the microtransactions for costumes (thank God these are non-issues in today's private servers).

I thank France and Korea for making the two greatest MMOs and my childhood nostalgia.

EO was a shit game but still have some fond memories of it. Scamming people, buying low selling high, learning about supply & demand, I felt like an entrepeneur as a kid.

Having an old PC that could not run the flashiest 3D games has its blessings.

And from this day on I never trade anything without throughly examining the item i'm receiving. It drives some people nuts but i have never been fucked since.

>tfw RSMVs aren't a thing anymore.

I'd wager it's a lesson easier learned with digital items and online accounts than being scammed out of something tangible in real life, face to face.

Nu-MMO's were a mistake.

no kidding. 1k gold is about 1/2 an hours work. Small price to pay for never falling for it again.

I have so many stories of life lessons learned from my Runescape days (i was the typical 12 year old playing it). Here's another:

The lesson I learned was basically how to succeed in the free market 101. Have a new idea, move somewhere the idea is needed, eventually other people will copy you so you need to either go do something else or move to a new place. Don't get fixated with doing just one thing.

Tell me about Puzzle Pirates, faggot.

Procedural generation could help with that.
Easier to do with an SP game, but I'm sure there could be ways to do it with an MMO too, at least with future tech.
The bigger problem will be keeping the normalfags from ruining it like they do anything else.

You can't. Runescape exists in the way that it does because it was a proto-WoW MMO. Now that WoW exists, good luck getting people to fund your spiritual successor to Runescape because investors/publishers and retards on Kickstarter don't care about an organically made MMO experience that spawned a playerbase that's actually pleasant to interact with. They just want another game that'll let them do a soulless grind and meet some people who'll pretend to be their friends but don't actually give a fuck about them outside of their ability to participate in raids.
The best you can hope for is that the inevitable death of WoW in the next 10 years leads to more unique MMO experiences for the future(it won't. It'll just cause yet another race to create the next WoW, even though FFXIV already filled that hole for many people so they're just wasting their time and money again)

I just can't find it myself to be a social and fun pers and just wind up being silent 90% of the time. For some reason all the XDDDDDs and the twitch memes simply get to me and I think "this guy's definitely not worth talking to", then it turns out the entire group of people are like that.
There's also the fact that I can't really find a multiplayer game that I would like to play for more than a week.

No, procedurally generated worlds will never be fun to explore. Go back to No Man's Sky.

Also, the only way to get the old CS 1.6 experience back is playing in Portuguese, Spaniard and Romanian serbs. This is one of the few times I can say it's good to be a Spaniard. People bant and call each other niggerspics without fadmins banning them.

Holla Forumsscape

I could use the same argument to say that spacegames will never be fun.
Just because one cum-guzzling hipster couldn't create a good game to save his life doesn't mean it's not possible.

Its not that hard, but the game company has to be willing to let go of much of their control over what happens in the game.
And these days this won't happen, because controlling exactly what happens in games is what makes money.

ALLRIGHT CUNTS I JUST WOKE UP FROM A MEMORY WIPE WHERE CAN I GET THE SAME EXPERIENCE OF CLASSIC RUNESCAPE

I haven't played for so long I've forgotten what it's felt like. I heard new runscape is full of shit and p2w crap. Fuck it's depressing. So I want to play it just like when I was an even bigger autist. Where can I replay the original

You missed that boat by a few years when OSRS first came out. They've already ruined it.

What about Holla Forums scape?
What about that other game, project gorgon or project gargoyle or whatever it was called?

I'm pretty sure you stand on the corner outside an elementary school and tell all the kids who pass by to give you their Yugioh cards or you'll beat them up. That sums up the Runescape experience for me.

damn that is a comfy webm

What is OSRS?

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Do NOT play Holla Forumsscape. Nothing but autistic cuckchanners and redditors there.

Oldschool Runescape, nigga. When jagex released the 2007 version of Runescape again because everyone hated RS3. This was like 5 years ago now.

How bout now? What happened to that shit?

Pizzas and pies were harder to make and usually gave less HP per bite but let you store more HP recovery per inventory slot. For long quests and stuff they were superior.

Community poll updates. Basically faggots making osrs into RS3-lite. And literal faggot parades.

Don't forget about Saradomin Brews which can hold up to like 40HP in a single potion. Although you do need to keep a bunch of super restores to compensate it.

There's bigger problems in the game right now than that

He can play Holla Forumsscape to realize how shit RS was/is, then he can go play something else without having given money to chinks

Its biggest problem is that it still exists

RS was amazing, though.

I curse the day that Insight Venture Partners bought out 51% of Jagex in 2011 - it was the beginning of the very end.

Syrnia was always better.

top meme friend.

Checking those dubs, I agree.
Same fuckers that fucked up maple story IIRC (never played it personally)

On an unrelated to that note, Iron Man mode is actually kind of fun, you can't trade with people or use the GE, you have to get the resources yourself and make/do everything on your own. This makes you think ahead and also forces you to be smart with your time and what you kill/do. Being in a clan and just on that chat makes it bearable.

Holla Forumsscape is probably the best version of the game but it suffers from very severe underpopulation, making it basically pointless.

you're not a kid anymore

Gondolascape seems like it could be comfy, but I get the feeling it would be damn eerie in the towns. Not quite the right vibe when you don't have assloads of people trying to hock their wares by spamming chat at anyone nearby (being that Gondola aren't supposed to speak).

And then there is the pale shadow of OSRS

>or you just disconnect for (((some reason)))

There is only one way to play this game and have fun, and it's killing draynor bots/fags with the dark wizard in bank trick (pic related) or the jail guard at oak tree trick. Nothing else is worth it.

What you have to do is make it not trivial to connect to the internet and have the instant gratification of its ability to communicate instantly with people around the world.

I dreamed of getting all 99 skills but I quit because of how awful the game had gotten. It pains me that I never got to do it. I'm never putting myself in that kind of position again. If I'm going to play an online game, it better have a P2P option and the ability to back up accounts. I'm not going to let someone hold my life hostage and slowly murder it. I played from 2005 to 2012. In hindsight, I could have gotten my goal in that time. I was a kid for much of it and was too busy experiencing the wonder to worry about skilling. I only started playing efficiently in the later years. I remember I was less than a month away from 99RC when I quit. I spent a lot of time on that but I knew the game was dead and other things took away my interests. I tried ignoring the new updates for the last few years but I saw the game evolve into something that wasn't really Runescape. It made me feel like my goal was invalidated. I realized that I'll never be able to be the player I wanted to be in the Runescape I wanted to be. I saw PKing and free trade being taken away in 2008. It was a shock. That was truly the nail in the coffin. PKers were a huge community back then and all of them quit. The game evolved into being much more oriented on skilling and PvE. I was disappointed but kept going because the game was my life and I had a lot of momentum coming from the golden age. I liked the game a lot and I wanted to continue. The bad updates piled on and it was clear that Fagex didn't care. They didn't represent player like me. They were only interested in milking the game for money and casualizing it for the lowest common denominator. The game had a big effect on my life. It taught me how to set goals. I don't find things that take a lot of time to be impossible. I know that if I work at it then I'll get there eventually. I know how to work at something in an efficient way for a long time. This allows me to accomplish great things. It taught me the value of online communities. In my IRL life, I only knew parents and school. It was hell all around and Runescape was my only source of happiness. It was a miracle that such a wonderful place could exist in such a horrible world. The game taught me about economics and finance. I learned how the economy in the game worked and how things like supply and demand shifted prices. It was a good idea to acquire things that were high in demand and low in supply. The game taught me how to think about money in general. It also made me weary of scams. I got ripped off a few times in the game but thankfully never cleared out. A lot of my friends were hacked constantly and were always begging but I didn't get hacked once in all the time I played. I did get tricked by things like replacing a k with a 4 in the trade menu which I knew about but didn't think I would ever fall for. There was another time where I went with a group of strangers to fight the KBD. I got jumped. Another time was where I was tricked into eating a poison fish at low HP with a santa hat on. Thankfully I didn't lose it. All these experiences helped me to become less gullible.

mentally retard yourself so you can be stupid enough to enjoy Runescape again.

When my membership was on it's final days I'd always hit Barbarian assault and make some friends. Part of the fun was the chaos you'd experience as barely anyone realizes what the hell is going on and then the way your team improves as time goes on and you start to mesh with these total strangers.
I geniuenly wish I was social enough to at least try and make friends with these people outside of the game because as it is now I'm stuck playing nothing but singleplayer games and solo multiplayer games.

This

Runescape was a product of its time, back when the internet as we now know it was still young. Plus it was a comfy game that was mostly free, paid version was only 5 shekels a month. Compared to now when you would have to pay 1000 shekels a month for the same game

Why would you want that? Runescape was shit. The only thing fun about it was the retarded community. Which is pretty much here.

I was reminded of this game recently in a discussion about past game addictions. I took some time looking into what it has become and it's impressive how thoroughly they have fucked it without fully killing it. I was actually interested by some of the end game combat on the bosses, I watched a video of a 4000 enraged Telos kill and it seemed quite technical. However the mire of shit you would have to wade through to get to end game is obviously not worth it.

whatever the fuck you described isn't runescape

it is now

This is true. I've had more fun interactions like random partying or chatting in a dead game (Ragnarok Online) than a modern MMO like WoW in current year.

Also, I would argue that the fact that you can breeze through most non-instanced content without needing to party up is discouraging socialization.

Seriously. Go on Warmane during retail server downtimes and try solo leveling. You will die a lot, you will drop your CCs for when the enemies are low on health so that they don't run and pull more mobs, you will fucking leap for joy when you see other players out in the wild who are doing the same quest as you, and you will god damn suck their dicks right off before they can even get hard if they can heal (or tank if you're a healer). Pic related is when you get shit done when working together, LIKE WHAT AN MMO SHOULD BE.

Each time I read posts like these I find myself wondering what would happen if someone made an mmog styled after old school rpgs like AD&D or 2e or whatever.
Would it work? Would people throw fits if their wizard character could only cast a handful of spells an in-game day at level 1? How would you handle high level fighters and their mercenary armies?
Would people be more inclined towards jolly cooperation if wandering alone was a death sentence, and death was not easily reversed?
Sage for idle thoughts.
But please do tell me why my idea is retarded. I need some criticism on this.

ah, memories

I think the problem is that there aren't that many quests like Shield of Arrav. As a result the need to interact with anyone is nearly nonexistent.
Most skilling is afking in silence because most low level skilling spots are infested with bots, meaning anyone who went in the game expecting to have conversations while fishing or whatever end up not having anyone to talk to at early levels and then they no longer want to talk on higher levels. Most quests are outright ruined by the fact that guides exist(hell, last I played RS3 the quests had an built-in guide, complete with "you're gonna need to kill an X level enemy or you're gonna need to have Y items on hand" or just outright having blue areas marked on the map as to show where the quest is to take place.

As for other MMOs it's pretty much the same deal, especially with the ones focused on going into four/eight man instances and massacring a bunch of enemies, these games are the fucking worst. What could have been a great way to breed socialization and teamwork is simply a co-op musou with barely any semblance of teamwork.
I actually liked dungeoneering because for most players(as in the people who don't have all skils above 90) you really needed to rely on other players, for bosses, doors, equipment, anything. Hell even outside of dungeoneering you had these effigies that at the very least required you to go seek out another human being and ask them for help.

I fucking hated that quest, you either end up with some fag who rushes you through it with a tutorial or some kid who doesn't know wtf they're doing. You'd think cooperating in a quest was a good thing, but for whatever reason this isn't the right way to do it.

/thread

Sure, but I think it's more or less a consequence of nothing else being like it.

Especially sad about ultima online.

Not too late to enjoy to the old music.

I would say go build up a group of people who wants to play Holla Forumsscape.I fucking despise it being underpopulated

You've got brain cancer.

What makes it different than say osrs, double dubs man?

No grand exchange, higher XP rate, and members areas are free.

Sounds cool. What's the catch and how underpopulated is it

It's been a while since I played, the catch is it has a lot of quests that haven't been added in yet and the population is probably around 15 to 20 players at peak times.

You can't. Everybody wants to be WoW. Looking back, Runescape wasn't good anyway after bossing became a thing, because the "experience" shifted from "do anything, be anything" to "doing anything but maxing combat is a waste of time." Runescape 3 might finally fix that after a decade with its upcoming crafting overhaul, but it's coming waaaaay too late for me. Especially after dumb shenanigans like the Pride Event.

You're better off making a Runescape 3 clone minus the cash shop, lore rape, and literally gay mods.

The catch is that it's populated by faggots who gamed themselves 1million death runes and 10 sets of dragon armor back when the loot table for mobs was absolutely fucked

post best music.
On the subject of Jagex, where are they now outside of runescape? I recall they had this website filled with multiplayer flash games, some of them were actually pretty fun(there was a worms clone, also there was armies of gleinor which I recall being an interesting game outside of it's more p2w elements), and weren't they working on a transformers game or a mecha runescape or something similar?

The one day wizard limit wouldn't work, because then people would just rest after every fucking encounter which would drag the game down. That always struck me as the dumbest limitation. Better would be to have a manapool, but you were locked into whatever spells you chose for the next hour and a half or something like that.

Part of the issue is that you level up so fast in the beginning of MMOs that if you stop playing with a person for 10 minutes, they've already blow the fuck past you. I've met plenty neat people in MMOs when starting out, but the moment anyone takes a short break they're gone for fucking ever. MMOs should have more "stopping tiers" where you have reasons to dick around at a certain level for awhile if you want to. WoW does this on accident by releasing expansion packs. You want to actually play and level up with people because you spent the past year playing with them. But pre-max level you never get the opportunity to make friends, so a ton people stop playing because they never got to make and fucking friends.

You can't. The ship sailed with the advent of social media and the normie revolution. The internet is not that kind of place anymore.

Miniclip?

If you want pre-GE 07 only content you've got vscape, if you want rs3-lite then osrs is good for that too. If you're asking for the old community back then good luck OP because that will literally never happen.

not miniclip, is thinking of FunOrb

You'll never get that whole combination again, but if you want an online game that doesn't have a wiki or guide, most MUDs still don't. The problem is the ones that don't have a wiki tend to be underpopulated, and the people who play them probably have been around so long they know the ins and outs of the games.

Kill yourself for not reading the rest of my fucking post.

You'll get it when VR MMOs become a thing, just like in japanese animus. Nothing short of that sort of paradigm shift will ever rival the first time you discovered runescape.

Is that you Excl?

EZ. WoW babies will flood the forums complaining the game isn't WoW enough. The devs are convinced to make these changes, then the game becomes a POS because people who wanted a proper MMO all leave and then the WoW babies just go back to WoW coz it's not quite WoW enough. EVERY TIME.

Examples:

Oh and then MMO websites circle jerk eachother to death with baseless shit

3rd thread in a month or two yet again. There will never be a repeat of nostalgia's past. It was 3 brothers who made the game, and this will never happen again. End of story.

I think this is a problem that affects the gaming community in general. How come barely anyone uses voice chat anymore? Is it because of programs like discord that segregate communication into private groups? Is it the games themselves? I had so many great moments shit talking strangers with voice chat. Why are online games so much quieter now? It's like every major city, you are surrounded by people but you are ironically more isolated at the same time.

The best part of MMOs is that when you die, you lose all your stuff and someone can loot your stuff and profit quite a lot. That's why I liked Runescape many, many years ago. Then I tried games like Guild Wars and WoW and was disappointed with all the soulbound bullshit and the lack of penalty for dying.

I always mute anyone who uses in game voice chat. Annoying as fuck.

Runescape sucks ass. I tried playing OSRS and got extremely turned off by everything about it. Get your nostalgia goggles off.

Then you're a faggot who hates fun.

Nothing worse than hearing retards screaming with low quality mics to your ear. That's how it was "back in the day". Maybe these days things are better with better mics and software but still I never use any voice chat anyway. Text chat is enough and easier to ignore.

I screech as hard and loud as possible with my $12 mic to annoy faggots like you.

People like me simply mute the voice chat so I don't think you can annoy people like me with your screeching. Faggots like you are the reason why nobody is using it anyway and just use some 3rd party software instead.

Fucking this.
How did it go from striking up conversation and building parties so effortlessly to the absolute shallow, unengaging shitshow we have today?

I used to have fun. I used to make people laugh. I used to look forward to coming back to my PC and sharing my time and passions with others.

I'm not sure I even know how to hold a conversation anymore.

I remember seeing some ad for a game that looked pretty similar graphics wise to Runescape, I think it was called Albion or something similar, is it worth shit?

I feel you.

Is there a single modern game of any genre that has anything even sightly approaching the player interaction pre-2010 MMOs had? I miss nothing more than being able to talk to random fucks in Runescape.

The only thing that comes to mind is Squad, PR, and Arma, but that is more just from forced interaction to actually play the game and rarely is more than tactical talk and some jokes.

Most MMOs didn't have a penalty as harsh as Runescape's. I agree penalties are important, but I'm assuming you're talking about Guild Wars 2 and not Guild Wars 1, because GW1 had death penalties.
When you died, your max HP and energy was reduced by a percentage, up to 60%, until you enter a town or outpost, but that would erase any progress you have in your current instance. If you were in a mission, your team wiping would force you out and you'd have to start over from the beginning.
GW2, your armor just gets damaged and you need to die several times for it to break. All you need to do is go to a repair anvil for free.

I don't get why most mmos don't have harsh death penalties. You can lose shit as quickly as you can acquire it.

A culture that won't punish people for their failures creates a consumer base that won't play games that punish them for their failures.

Harsh penalties are good, but they need to suit the game. I'd say losing items worked in Runescape because of its heavy focus on items. It was basically an online point and click adventure game, and getting the items was fun in itself because you could reliably obtain them.
Most MMOs are primarily combat based and that wouldn't translate as well because most items are gotten from random drops. They would need to figure out another way to penalize the player, like how GW1 did.

Behold user
THIS IS THE RUNESCAPE EXPERIENCE

Can someone explain to me why there are no private RS servers that are actually full clones? They seem to have serious trouble with the quest scripting and that sort of thing, why is it so difficult when something like vanilla WoW has been copied exactly on private servers. I thought javascript was babby tier when it comes to coding

It's being able to explore a very popular MMO with a very condensed map and very basic controls while being completely naive to anything else like it.

Then while you were doing whatever the fuck (quests, leveling, trading, etc..) you occasionally make a friend or two to quest with or whatever.

Then after you have a bunch of friends and are a higher level, you just run around chatting and doing miscellaneous shit, occasionally seeing a green dot appear on your minimap and trying to remember why that dude is on your friends list.

The bad was kinda good too, at least you always learned something important and unless you were a total retard, you didnt lose something you couldnt make back in a week.
Lel I still remember getting scammed for a rune pl8 with a mithril plate. I had worked so hard for that 40k gp(? i dont remember price at all) and i was so excited to finally a rune plate that i rushed the accept button. Only to find out a later (from a high level friend, who gave me a rune chain after telling me this) that i also had to complete a quest to wear the rune pl8.

Then that same high level friend who i didnt know irl (was like 3-5 years older than me or something too) LET ME WEAR HIS PARTY HAT. Holy shit i still remember that feeling of fear and excitement before accepting the trade. i had only ever had like 100k MAX and the phats were worth millions. I was like " dont give it to me what if it breaks or my game crashes " but the guy still did it and i gave it back. What a fag i was but i loved it.

I meant the first one. I've never played GW2. Those kind of temporary penalties on stats are nothing but an annoyance and they're there just to make sure people won't abuse death+respawn for something.

Runescape death had the risk/reward factor to it. When you died and lost something expensive, it was devastating. When you got some cool loot from a dead player, it was fucking amazing. I lost all faith in MMOs after I realized none of them are like Runescape and most of them are just dull WoW clones. The risk of death puts you on the edge. That's what makes games exciting. One reason why I like older single player games more than modern games is because they were hard and death meant you lost your progress. With all the autosaves, checkpoints after every enemy encounter etc modern games have gotten really, really boring. As exciting as passively watching TV. Bullshit.

but what if we got 3 anons to try to do the same?

Maybe you should try other oldschool MMOs. Ultima online is still playable, I think. If you want something different, try Anarchy Online. As with most MMOs, it's got more and more soloable content in the last couple of years, to help players be able to level in the face of a diminishing playerbase. The game has subscription based expansions, but there's a shitton of things to do without paying as well (not unlike runescape with its membership, actually) f2p max level is 200/220. The game used to be, and still is one of my favorite games, and definitely exhibits old MMO design. Doing things alone is hard, you're not going to know what the fuck to do and you'll be glad to team up with people to actually survive.

i think it comes with today's kids too. try to chat with a random guy in rs and either they are botting or millenial nerds that put up question marks a lot when you start making conversation.

GW1 was designed around PvP, the death penalty's real function wasn't in PvE. In PvP, one of the lose conditions is when every player in the team has 60% death penalty. Death was a form of attrition on the party until the match was over.
But really, it's hard to compare Runescape with GW1 because the two games are nothing alike. The most they have in common is there will never be another game like them.

This is one of the biggest problems I had when I tried getting back into Rune Scape, no one wants to fucking talk anymore. Everyone is either caught up in their stupid clan chats or botting.
What's the point of playing an MMO if you don't want to socialize with people?

This should be punishable by death.

Why bother?
Just use an external service because those grow independently of game. This offloads development, maintenance, and bandwidth to a 3rd party, and lets players have QOL features they actually want

But runescape is a great MMO

As an Eniripsa main: fuck you. People like you are the reason combat Eniripsas got nerfed to the ground and got reduced to Sacrier healing machines.

JUST

I've been thinking about this too from time to time, with the internet as it is today having a game that is shrouded in mystery is nearly impossible.
Here's a question for you, anons.
If you were making an MMO and you wanted to replicate this experience, how would you go about it?
The immediate thought that comes to mind is not to release any information and occasionally change shit up without telling anyone, but the thing about guide creators is that they're as autistic as it gets.

The only solution is the nuke the internet and start from scratch.

If we can't recreate the runescape experience, we can recreate just one minigame. But that raises two questions - which is the best minigame and why is it Barbarian Assault?

The Runescape experience was a child of its time. Gamers these days have fundamentally changed. Back in the day, few players cared about levels and would stand around chilling with buddies, playing castle wars, bank standing, PK, etc. Something happened where the playerbase shifted from being casuals to being competitive "no xp waste" no lifers. The only way a game can come along to bring that back is for it to be flooded with casuals still in grade school.

wait you are supposed to make friends in mmos?
why did this never happen to me

It should come naturally to children and teenagers who aren't jaded and cynical. This whole genre is best played at that age.

Never played it, so logically, ~`Castle Wars~~ Pest Control was top tier. Fuck that slayer soul pvp game, fuck castle wars. Being nuked by ancients offscreen and getting frozen while some asshat hits 30's is retarded, how are you supposed to contribute?

Also why the fuck is Jagex so shit at balancing rewards?

Or better yet, Dungeoneering

>almost every clan i checked out almost requires you to use (((discord))) to stay in it
>join 4/vg/'s CC out of desperation to play with some people as I was in that clan before 8ch was a thing

questing is still fun though, but is completely worthless for a lot of things as most t70 gloves are better than barrows RFD gloves now.

Why would you post this
My soul is crying

Life isn't fair.

existing is suffering.

i got lucky and got a barrows dye on a TT a while back, got 334m out of it but it's been going nothing but up since then. I knew i should have kept it a bit longer but damn was it burning a hole in my pocket.

I can actually top that. I had a santa at 125m and a red/blue h'ween mask. Sold it to get 99 herblore. Dunno about the h'weens but santas are up to 700-800m.

Never max.

Clue Scrolls. I want a standalone game where you're chasing mysteries and solving puzzles in the hope that this time you don't get literal garbage for loot.

Procedural generation in as many things as possible.
Then proceed to slowly delete old parts of the map as new parts get explored, making at least exploration a constant thing.
For mechanics, I think you could do it by making sure you send an absolute minimum of data client-side. No HP-bars, damage indicators, etc.
Obscure as many things as humanly possible from the player, and if you change shit around now and then even the autists won't immediately notice.
Make stat-growth take objects found in the world that die after a few people use them, new abilities to be found in the world instead of at a convenient list at the trainer's, etc.

This.
I played Runescape for about a year trying to get 200m cooking from scratch because I was bored and I realised it was no fun anymore.
I thought back on my childhood and I never got past cb level 56, just shittalking in Varrock West mostly then going all the way to Karamja and doing like 1-2 invs of lobbies for no reason when I was like 75 fishing.

I'd just shit about mining and killing scorpions under Falador and I'd have a blast. I wouldn't even do anything most of the time i played but I played like that for years. That's how I got 75 fishing in the first place.

I don't know why I did it, it didn't make sense, but I thought I was a hardcore Runescape player who loved the game, too bad whenever anyone asked me anything about it I couldn't answer.

I miss those simple times, changing hair color, buying fashionscape stuff, meeting people.

I guess I'm just not as imaginative now.

With all if these animes about characters being in MMOs, how come there aren't any where the MMO is like RuneScape?

>tfw I just bought 95 prayer

last i checked hweens are 4-600m

what is the street price on phats now?

by coding a shitty game and having rates go way below normal.

Runescape was never good stop acting like it was at any time a playable fucking thing.

lots of animes are about fantasy medieval european worlds

Where everyone has blue and purple hair.

Do they capture the spirit of playing runescape in the early days? I think japs are too autistic to understand something like that.

Not that I'm saying the community isn't shit, but there's gotta be a reason other than that for why so many people are ignoring you/ditching you even after you've gotten into a conversation with them.

dunno, before I quit last I never had any issues meeting players like this. guess i could try another world too, it's dead but most are dead these days.

How the fuck did Runescape become so overrated here? Even growing up the only reason people played it was because WoW cost 15 dollars a fucking month

I don't even know. Most amount of money I've ever had at one time is just over 1b. Wouldn't be surprised if a blue was going for over 10, because that's how bad the game's economy has gotten.

We've reached korean mmo tier.