"Aging" well

What games from 1990 - 1995 are still highly playable today and require minimal or no modding to be enjoyable?

Eg. Star Control 2 (counter example warcraft 1, which is a frustrating bitch to play)

Hard mode:
What games from 2005 - 2010 are now nigh unplayable without extensive modding (i.e. aged like someone with progeria). Eg. Oblivion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-QSYO7T9_Uo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is "Eg."?
Essentially gay?

Anything that's in 2D, Kirby, Mario, mega man, etc.

Is a sourceport being required a big strike against it? Because otherwise I'm surprised how damn fine the controls are for a full 3D first-person DOS game where you can move in every direction whereas you had stuff like Tomb Raider coming out some years later with unbelievably clunky controls.

Eg means energy of band gap user

Pokemon

Literally everything from 4th Gen

My nigger.

Too many to count, shit thread.

All of them if you aren't a casual faggot.

Games do not "age". They're not milk or fine wine, nothing happens to their proprietary compiled code over time. All you are saying when you claim that a game has "aged poorly" is that your standards were too low or you were too ignorant to recognize bad design when a game was originally released.

Many RTS have aged poorly because of small unit caps and locked camera angles. These weren't huge flaws when they came out, because all RTS were like that, but now that newer games like SCFA have shown it's possibly to have a strategic camera and large unit counts, they have become largely unbearable to play in comparison.

Exempli gratia.
It means 'for the sake of example'.

all the good games that played well then still play well now, games don't change over time. they don't age.

Shut your whore mouth, Dune 2 was made in 1992, C&C in 1995. Neither had unit caps
that I can remember

I don't think I could go back and play it again. Yar's Revenge and River Raid are still good fun though. Atari was just a little too primitive for RPGs.

Top tier taste.

Not just me, everyone was too ignorant, hence the situation whereby games that got critical acclaim back in the day are unplayable now to most people.

I give Warcraft 1 as a good example of a game that is quite a chore to play today.

Of course the game hasn't actually aged. I even put the word in inverted commas in the OP precisely because of autistic faggots like you and yet you STILL popped off about it.

Hundreds of games….. How many examples do you want?

OK kid.

Correct.

Also correct.

I don't see where he implied that, but sure, why not.

Sure, hell I'll do one or two per year, just for PC.
1990: Prince of Persia, Loom
1991: Commander Keen 4, Lemmings
1992: Dune, Another World/Out of this World
1993: Doom (no shit), Syndicate
1994: X-Com, TIE Fighter
1995: System Shock, Command & Conquer

I'm just doing this with two hands tied behind my back, doing more than one and on only one platform. I could pick at least 3-4 a year if I wanted to, still sticking to PC and then if I added consoles the list would just explode. There were DOZENS of timeless games released during this period, it's not even funny. In comparison to today…shit if a gamer awoke from a coma from 1997 and saw what was going on right now, he'd banging against the headboard to get KOed for another couple decades.

How about you name at least one game from 1999-2004 that aged well.

Wew, getting a little bit outside my comfort zone, but here goes. Windows releases, of course, since DOS was dying to dead by this time.
1999: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Homeworld
2000: Thief 2, Deus Ex (double no shit)
2001: Baldur's Gate 2, Serious Sam
2002: Freedom Force, Jedi Knight 2 (aka Dark Forces 3)
2003: Uplink, Tron 2.0
2004: Half Life 2, Hitman Contracts
I have to say I had no problems picking games that would be perfectly acceptable to play today vanilla until around 2001, that year going forward there's a dramatic drop off of solid games in the A-AA-AAA range that gets worse going every year forward. I'd say by 2006 or 2007 I'd be in real trouble if I had to keep this up.

My fucking nigger
the UI mod is really neat

Christ

Kill yourself, (1) and done jewish /utg/ nigger.

Kill yourself, KIKE

epic m'lady.

Can I cheat and add The Duke? First version was released January 1996.

Here's your (You).
Now kill yourself.

Games don't age, you're just used to being babied you little bitch.
Either that or the game was always shit and the children that played it had no standards or were just generally victims of a marketing campaign or sold on a gimmick.

Just no

Bait.

Clear skies.

That's like saying the Wright brothers were incompetent and their place as shit because it didn't have a jet engine.

You cannot simply say "bad design" when design was limited by technology.

Clear Skies was a buggy piece of shit on release as well. You needed modding out of the box to make it anything close to playable.

Jesus Christ, Egoraptor really handled his break up with Jontron pretty poorly.

It looks and plays like shit.
It's more fun to watch on youtube nowadays, especially if you played modern first person games.

im gonna cheat a little and extend the meaning of 5 to 7 if you dont mind too much

The first Diablo game is from 95, I think. It's still very enjoyable to play.

Poor analogy. The key aspect of video games is that unlike services or some other technology, they are a leisure activity designed to be replayed. And past the 2600 perhaps, design stopped being limited by technology a long time ago. Super Mario Bros. is still an excellent game worth playing today. Technology is hardly an excuse for bad games in the '90s and beyond. If the technology was prohibiting some sort of design element then it shouldn't have been made until it was ready.

I still play games from late 70's and early 80's. It all depends on what kind of stuff you like. I even like to play text adventures and old CRPGs.

haha these games are full of homestuck references

Vanilla Oblivion is as playable now as it was when it released. Has nothing to do with aging, it was always a broken ugly mess.

however id probably enjoy it more now than i did back then because my computer wont struggle to run it

Games age perfectly. They are, compatibility patches and censorship aside, exactly the same games they were when they first released.

It is us that hasn't aged well. Bad games will continue to be bad, and good games will continue to be good. If we didn't have a problem playing these games when they first came out, but do so now, it is only because our expectations, our biases, and our techniques have been molded the current pop trends in game design.

Games are the constant. We are the variable.

Now go back and re-ask the question - what games "have aged well", but have you aged well? Are you still able to adapt to multiple different eras of game design, or has modern game design spoiled you and made you weak?

SF2X

Twisted Metal 2

the best of the entire fucking series is every bit as good as it was and if you've never played it the characters and their stories are quite amusing for any fan of black humor

also pic related

and both medievil games

Deus Ex is still one of the best games ever. Just use GMDX for updated graphics and tweaked gameplay Or Deus Ex Revision for even more radically reworked shit, but many people seem to dislike that.

this tbh

Twisted Metal 1 would be amazing is they didn't cut all the FMVs.

Come to think about it, any old FPS without proper mouse support / freelook would feel like a chore to play now.

eggsample

Learn to use emulators you massive plebian faggot.>>13885542

Doom and descent are the first two to come to mind

'97 game, but had fun recently with Theme Hospital. If this game was ported to mobile, porably nothing or verry little would have been changed in design or even graphics.
It's just missing free-play mode, where you could expand your hospital to infinity

>both medievil games

Forgot to mention. If this game was ported today, all staff people, doctors would be mix of race and gender because muh equality

WASD + Arrows isn't too bad. Of course inferior to mouse aim but I'd rather use that than a gamepad for example.

You mean most of them?

Games from the 80s and early 90s aged better than games from the 00s, and games today age so poorly that they're hard to play a week or two later.

What's crazy is that he doesn't really look any older in this pic, just fatter.

That's surely a joke. You can't even look up. Doom aged absolutely terribly.

Just play Duke Nukem 3D to see the massive difference in quality. Doom doesn't even feel like a real FPP anymore.

Good, keep falling for marketing tricks.

Most sourceports have mouselook user, and the game gives you some degree of autoaim for enemies that are above you. There's no shame using mouselook, unless you have the autoaim on.

SF2X is a classic one vs one game…
youtube.com/watch?v=-QSYO7T9_Uo

You don't need to.

Monkey Island, XCOM

Standards change over time. Games that "aged well" are th e games that would still be considered good by todays standards as they were by the standards of the time of their release, meanwhile games that didn't age well are the opposite and while they were considered the hottest shit back in the day, if you compare them to modern releases they are really lackluster.

Metal Gear Solid 4.

If you're going to come at me with "no it was intended to play like you're piloting a 747" get out

mouselook is modded in gog release, so everyone plays with it by default, no argument. and with useful ui like this you dont need hotkeys
wrong, are you sure you dont have some kind of medical condition?
i dont know what you mean. Technically ss is fps, other and earlier released games that wre fps had inventory, i dont know why you try to separate the 2. cant fps have inventory, and fps having an inventory is some kinda abomination?
like you i presume? If you cant comprehend simple controls in a video game, just drop it all together and stick to mobile games.
again, nothing wrong with that, mouselook in system shock is today available by default, and don't lie saying it was unplayable before, because it was playable.
yeah, pretty much. I would go further and say ultima underworld aged fine. replayed it recently.
what a whiny lil bitch

It sounds like you have a fetish for games where you have to click on the interface to do basic tasks like reload your gun

This is like saying Bubsy 3D controls fine because you can use a mod that fixes it, therefore it aged well.
The game really isn't that complicated for how poorly it controls and how many functions it has. Heretic came out the same year, had an inventory in an FPS and it controlled far better than System Shock 1. Not that long after Strife did mostly the same thing with hub based levels and an inventory and it didn't need 4 different directions to lean and an interface you had to switch between to do basic functions
The game was reviewed really poorly at the time and was forgotten until System Shock 2. When GOG first came out everyone was clamoring for SS2 not SS1 because SS2 at least controlled in such a way that it didn't feel like the horror atmosphere came from how poorly the game controlled.

chill bro

I recall using something like that to play Robotron and Smash TV on MAME, but that sounds awful for an FPS. Earlier games didn't require vertical aiming, so I just used the arrows, with Z/X for sidestepping (or "strafing" as illiterate apes say nowadays).

I was going to say duke nukem 3d, but it came out in 1996

Not the first, just the one remembered

Even by the standards the time it was released it looks like shit, that is not the reason people like Deus Ex. Anyways Dark messiah of Might and Magic if Deus Ex is too much for you. Look there are over 1,000ds of games across the 90s to choose from it is impossible for every single one of them to be something you don't like. The shit he listed is just the most obvious because of consistent memes. I can fire off average games that simply will never exist in this modern era that are AAA titles if you'd like, like Hybrid Heaven (turn based world wrestling ARPG) graphics are gonna look goofy or like shit but that's inevitable with old games. Get used to it.