Roguelikes

Some of my most favorite games are roguelikes, but i never got deeper into the genre. What roguelikes you like to play anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

te4.org
sites.google.com/site/broguegame/home
mega.nz/#!pYkU3DyL!vsOZgisQAmUWD-sG0lUsRu3iPdUT7bgbQiw-YbmlHqw
dowhilecompiling.blogspot.com/p/rogue-effect.html
ivan.sourceforge.net/
attnam.com/projects/variants/IvanX
gridsagegames.com/cogmind/
maugrift.itch.io/eversector
prospector.at/forum/dm_eds/dmedsdl.php
asciisector.net/
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe
igg-games.com/cogmind-free-download.html
forums.roguetemple.com/irldb/
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
oryxdesignlab.com/games/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nethack. I prefer it to Angband. This is heresy in some circles but I prefer the straight dungeon delve of Nethack to starting off in a town and shit in Angband.
ToME is good too, but it's more casual and flashy. Great for when you want an easy game.

I love binding of isaac.
Dead Cells is cool too, but it's in early access.

Tales of Maj'Eyal (ToME) is a pretty good one, not that much depth in some mechanics but with really good skill trees for different races and classes. It lets you explore a big world and the start of your character changes a little depending on your race or class
There is Doom RL, the Doom roguelike. Not much to say about that one, Doom as a roguelike
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (DCSS) is pretty popular.
Elona+ is my personal favourite, its a sort of open world japanese roguelike that lets you get married, buy a ranch, grow crops, fish, food, build a party by taming monsters, hiring people or just buying slaves, and more things.

All of the above games have tilesets, and of course free (ToME has a paid version on steam but you can get it free on its website te4.org the paid steam version is basically a premium account for supporting the devs with an item bank to share items across different characters but you dont NEED that to enjoy the game).

Dungeons of Dredmor is a very casual, entry level roguelike on sale on steam Its not a BAD game but very, very entry level so it lacks depth.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
It gets a lot of shit in these threads but I still enjoy it.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead USED to be a good game. It was a zombie game, ascii but i believe it had tilesets you could use. It was fun but it lacked an end goal beyond "survive for as long as you can" and i remember later updates were getting a lot of shit aroud here because they had a lot of bloat and useless items. I havent kept up with it so i dont really know its current state, only that it was good and then it started getting a lot of shit.

OH also of course, cant forget to mention Brogue sites.google.com/site/broguegame/home
Not much to say about it, its as straightforward as it gets. Its uses ascii and colors well so if you want to get used to seeing ascii instead of sprites, Brogue will be perfect for you.

I heard authors have a nerve to remove some features from it, no?

Download earlier versions, done

Personally i never really liked DCSS, kindof bland and generic IMO. But i always see a lot of people talking about it. Dont know anything about its updates tho.
Oh also, Dwarf Fortress has an adventure mode which is basically a roguelike mode where you control 1 character. I have never played DF so i dont know anything about it but it seemed cool

ToME4 is good and all, but I think I still preferred it when it was still called Troubles in Middle Earth. It was the most souped up Angband variant I can think of with all the races you could think about, a skill based progression system, overworld with static and random dungeons, towns, etc. I spent months playing that.

Last time I played was in summer I think, but from a glance at the github, they've been on 0.C for two years and a half now. They STILL don't have fully featured Z-levels, nothing outside the level you are on right now (and only in a radius of 100 squares or so) exists as far as the game is concerned, you can go to the second floor of a burning building about to collapse and it won't collapse until you come back down. This is something Toady figured out lime more than half a decade ago, and he didn't need a kikestarter for it.

Forgot to mention, Crypt of the Necrodancer (roguelike rythm game) and Rogue Survivor (also a zombie roguelike, simple but fun)

Damn shame

I like dungeon crawl stone soup. Though I'm admittedly a casual so take that with a grain of salt. The Pokemon mystery dungeon games are fun and I don't see that much hate for them out side of the newer ones.

Shit, i didn't knew it was translated into english. Is it hard to get into?

Not really. Also Elona+ has always been translated, worst case scenario there may be a 5% of post end game lines missing translations or the super new just added adventurer school dialogues, but everything else is translated.
Its not really hard, just something that takes time because there are so many things you can do and trying to decide what you WANT to do. I have been playing for years and havent made almost any progress in the story because im having too much fun running a shop, decorating my house and running a ranch to train cooking.
There have been a lot of Elona threads recently, im sure another one will pop up soon enough

Its… not. It's just that there is a not insignificant bunch of things you should know to optimize how fast you level.
For someone just starting, you should get Elona Custom on top of Elona+. It adds a bunch of stuff, but it's worth if only for the option to Feed your pets, which is like plain old Giving but filters your items so only foodstuffs arre shown.
Know that unidentified items sell for shit. However, once you've identified that particular item, all future ones will be semi-identified, except for beatitude, which means you can sell them at a reasonable price. Weapons still must be identified always on a per-item basis and they ALWAYS sell for shit, except if you sell them through your own shop.
Cooking is important because cooked food improves your and your pet's stats, and can be sold for a nice profit. If you really don't want to bother with it (you should), make sure your best pet has the skill (you can gene engineer it) and try to go to bed at 9 PM- if you wake between 6-9AM, your pet will have prepared a breakfast that not only raises your stats, but also your stat potentials as well (the latter determines how fast the former increases and degrades as they do).

Oh yeah, something to keep in mind about Elona+: The default difficulty does NOT enforce permadeath. If your character dies you get an option to bring them back to life at your home, at the cost of risking losing some stats or dropping items where you died (i think if you are below lvl 6 or so you dont have any penalties nor do you have no pay taxes so you can learn to play and get your bearings with no fear).
Due to popular demand a few difficulty settings with permadeath were added, but the game is NOT balanced around permadeath. It was NEVER intended to have such a thing due to the nature of the game of building up your character and propierties over a long period of time and how easily it is to make a mistake that could lead to your death.

What if i want to kill beasts and shit. Is elona good for killing things?

shut up idiot

Whaaaaaaat?!
I'l slash your dirty head off and poo in it.

You can kill anything, from hamsters to dragons. You can even kill the gods in theory, but dont expect to survive the aftermatch of it

half of the game revolves around combat and you need to slay difficult bosses to advance the story and open new continents so yes.
My favorite strategy revolves around throwing booze at bosses which serves as a poor man's confusion potion, that nevertheless always works because drunkeness is a "buff".

Now that's more like it. I especially like the part where you can fight gods while drunk.

My favourite part of Elona is the setting.
On one hand, it contains elves, dwarves, fairies and even snails as playable races. It contains a lot of medieval weapons and armor and you can ride horses into battle and you need to be wary of the magic sickness that haunts the contient. But it ALSO has robots, mechas, eldritch horrors, corgies with guns, NUCLEAR LIONS, machine guns, shotguns, grenades, laser rifles, NUKES, PANTIES AS WEAPONS.
And somehow none of it feels out of place, the setting allows for ANYTHING to happen which makes customizing the have so much more fun because no matter what stupid shit you add, there is something already weirder in the game. Like kamikaze HARD GAY

IVAN. It got a major update last month, first one in a year. Contrary to what you will hear it's not a hard game, just has a lot of insta-death enemies and traps. Get it on Github.

It's quite different from standard rogues. There are no direct ways of perma increasing stats (unless you count special items, carrots and ommel fluids). There are a shitton of items and very early on. You can get a fully decked out character within the first cave.

It uses a tileset and a good one at that. Items and stat changes appear on the screen, there's lighting and all the sprites fit the game.

wew

i liked to play Tales of Maj'Eyal
then i got bored after maybe 1000 real-time hours of it

Couldn't sworn the original dev still worked on it.

Is that the shit made by that insane tranny who goes around to open source projects with a pack of goons and bullied people into adoption?

What's the difference between paid/Steam and free version of UnReal World?

I used to play NetHack. It's good, but you may need to read spoilers to do some shit. The Gehennom maze levels suck. Leveling up sucks. Play on server to find other people's bones, it's always fun

Yup. There was some kerfuffle a while ago when people found out >she was running afoul of >her own CoCk but was dismissive about it and then later when >she got kicked out of Github

I think I heard your "Whaaaaat" before.

PMD Explorers of Darkness

NetHack but I stopped playing it after the latest patch dropped. Brogue, Dwarf Fortress, IVAN, POWDER, Dungeons of Dredmor, Tales of Maj'Eyal and Incursion also.

Stone soup

Although i never completed it

Caves of Qud is great. It's still in active development, with weekly updates, and the devs are hoping to finish it somewhere near the end of next year I think. The setting's fun, there's plenty of room for unique character building and the game manages to remain a proper roguelike while also being pretty easy to get into. You can get the ascii version for free from their site, or just pirate the steam version if you wanna check it out.

Literally nothing. It's basically just a donate button on Steam.

The way i understand it, the devs spent years working on the game for free and fans asked for a very long time to allow donations or something because the game was that good and they had spent so many years working on it. So the devs finally gave in and put it on steam while also keeping a free download, so that people that wanted to give em money could do it.

crypt of the necrodancer is fun but now i have to mash escape to skip the useless story segments because they felt the need to flesh it out beyond "necromancer stole your heart, have a dance through a dungeon to get it back"
I hate this trend of everything needing a backstory in games

It's been in development since 1993, I believe.

Last I looked the ASCII version hasn't been updated in a long time.
I'm surprised a group of Marxist sympathizers can actually make a decent game.

It's sad, but they still seem pretty tame and reasonable compared to most developers these days. I won't really care unless they start fucking up their game, which I don't think is very likely to happen at this point.

DoomRL is a great gateway Roguelike for anyone.
Rogue or Brogue are brilliant examples of stripping back the genre to only its essentials.
ADoM and Elona+ are good examples of more freeform Roguelikes.

Nethack has too much of the kitchen-sink 'throw everything cool sounding into the game' thinking for my tastes. Rogue/Brogue do a better job of focussing just on the dungeon crawling aspects without adding one-use gameplay elements.

I like Sil. Can't really tell why, it just clicked.

Nothing really, it's just a way to get retarded Steam-only users to fund continued development (the devs are nice people anyway so I can't hold it against them). Also note that the pre-Steam versions had a few audio tracks like vidrelated that had to be cut due to licensing issues once they started taking money, you can re-add them by downloading the tracks and renaming them appropriately iirc.

I like DCSS. Sue me.

DCSS player here: yes, they remove stuff all the time but rarely add anything substantial back in.

I'd have to recommend Infra Arcana. Basically its a Lovecraftian dungeon crawler with pretty simple mechanics but a whole lot of depth. It has an insanity meter, really cool magic system based on finding scrolls that you can then cast from memory, tons of crazy monsters, (Mi-Go, flying polyps etc. and even uniques like Zuul the gatekeeper and Keziah Mason) and 4 different starter classes that you can develop into many different builds by choosing traits when you level up.
Unfortunately there isn't a wiki or anything because its a relatively obscure game but if you can figure out shit like DCSS this game should be pretty easy to understand.

The experimental gets updated constantly, whenever I decide to play it again I just update to the most recent then keep it from updating again while I'm still on that current playthrough, haven't encountered any game breaking bugs in years. I think they just can't be assed to stop at a point and say "Here's the new stable".

You'd be able to level a lot faster with a farm, or even fishing.

A farm has little maintenance (besides taxes). If you chose a high breeding species such as a rabbit, you'll get more eggs and milk than you'd know what to do with. Omelettes make a great shop filler and you can use a pot for fusion recipe to make butter, cheese (sell these) and yoghurt (boosts CON; eat this).
If you want to specifically train cooking, then sure, just enter in and out a wilderness tile and cook healthy leafs for free.

I've never actually played Rogue. Is it any good?

Well, if you're interested in knowing what roguelikes are all about, there really is nothing better than the game that defines the term. You'll probably find it pretty barebones, but it's still pretty hard, as simple as it is.

It stopped being good quite a while before the tilesets were made.

The differences between Nethack and Angband are so minute, I can't see how you'd get shit for liking one over the other.

I've played rogue and it's basically like nethack with more limited controls. Nethack is a direct variant, after all.

I would say rogue is more like brogue with simler level generator and less interesting enemies and weapons. rogue and brogue feel closere to each other than either one to nethack. At least that's how I feel after playing the three.

There's maybe 2 whole minutes of cutscene in the game you fucking sperg.

Fear & Hunger, but is instead in demo stages

At first I was excited to hear of an update but the reality of the situation has been slowly sinking in.
Not only have political memes been showing up, there is also the innate blandness of contributor content in general.

Basically IVAN is on a long and violent road to becoming DDA. I can only hope they lose the will to develop before that.
.50 for life, you don't know what you got until it's gone. Now everyone will call this new buggy and uninspired mess IVAN.

what is the last good version and where can I download it?

0.4 was my favorite version, but I didn't play anything between 0.4 and 0.9 so those might be okay or not idk. 0.9 was going downhill I think. I don't know where to download it, but here's mine.

mega.nz/#!pYkU3DyL!vsOZgisQAmUWD-sG0lUsRu3iPdUT7bgbQiw-YbmlHqw

Much appreciated. Last version I played was back in 2013, probably. No idea what version that was. Came back a few years later and there was all this crap about devs refusing to allow you to give items to NPCs because they didn't want males giving drugs to females and stealing their agencies.

lul

You can laugh but it's sad whenever devs of a good game catch the brain worms.

Didn't the original dev leave the project and furries ended up picking it up? Also I don't think that version even has NPCs.

The original dev isn't much better to be honest, and the one furry who made the original mod isn't much worse. But the important difference is that the original developer wasn't taking contributions, so any dedicated autists with an agenda couldn't just bogart the project.

Before it would only run on linux with debugger spam happening every 5 steps. There were NPCs but they would disappear when you saved the game and they caused it to crash all the time. The old developer quit working on it because he was just flaky and eventually lost interest. We could all tell it was something special at the time though. He was working on a promising looking sequel recently but got a job and kids and ditched it.

There's a game called "Rogue Effect" which is based on "Mass Effect 3" specifically:
dowhilecompiling.blogspot.com/p/rogue-effect.html

Hows the artifact update for dwarf fortress?

!
shit

This shit really pisses me off. My most recent runs keep getting fucked up by these faggots.

I've never played any roguelikes but Mystery Dungeon spinoffs. What am I missing?

Generally more brutality and permadeath, more interactivity with enviroments (usually), more equipment and skill management.
There are a lot of beginner friendly games already mentioned in this thread if you want to get into the genre

I've picked up a copy of Has-been Heroes. Its been pretty good so far, just need to keep experimenting to figure out all the different mechanics. My only complaint for now is that the enemy variety is boring since its mostly skeletons with little graphical changes. I'm seeing more enemies pop up in recent playthroughs, so maybe it gets better.

You forgot the mountable lolis

I always wanted to get into this. Guess I'll do it now. I only need 1.73 and elona custom, right?

1.73 is the latest version, yeah. I dont use Elona Custom but it seems that everyone else does, so yeah get it too. Among other minor fixes it allows you to customize pet/ally AI and teach them some skills. You probably wont need to worry about it early on tho

Don't forget the spritesheet that changes all the monsters into monstergirls
This one is out of date most likely. Also its not a BMP and apparently I cannot upload a bmp

You mean furries?

Got a link to it?

May as well give you some beginner tips.

Is this updated for the most recent Elona edition?

fug forgot to read

Hey now, lets be civil here.
To be complete frank, there are not many that go that far into furry territory, this one is really more of a mixed bag.
If you look closely you may realize that this sheet has
and probably more shit that I just don't recognize.

SNES Shiren the Wanderer is breddy gud, would recommend it if you like the Mystery Dungeon style. Not sure about the quality of the DS rerelease, never actually picked it up.
Heard bad things about the Wii Shiren, like they really downed the difficulty.

There was also a new Vita Shiren that got localized last year I think, that one might be good but I don't have a Vita.

ivan.sourceforge.net/
There's also IVANX, which has most of the useful features of the community edition with none of the bullshit:
attnam.com/projects/variants/IvanX

I think I'm too casual for real roguelikes. What's something nice without permadeath? I think Elona+ didn't have permadeath but I got bored of that.

You can turn off permadeath in certain roguelikes, like in TOME or new graphical version of ADOM for example. It makes them boring though.

There are few roguelikes i want to bring to your attention:
Cogmind
gridsagegames.com/cogmind/

EverSector
maugrift.itch.io/eversector

Prospector
prospector.at/forum/dm_eds/dmedsdl.php

Ascii Sector
asciisector.net/

Cogmind looks fun but

Have you ever considered piracy?

Thanks I get that it will make them boring but I've really lost any desire to git gud.

So, as far as i counted, the roguelikes with deep interactions, open world, survival and rpg-like stories are:
Elona+ (from which i start exploring the genre)
Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode
Tales of Maj'Eyal
Ancient Domains Of Mystery
Unreal World
Cataclysm: Dark Days

Do i forget anything?

DoomRL is one of my favorites. It feels much more like an action game, and positioning is basically life or death due to the exploding barrels, rocket launchers, and contrasting open/very tight areas. Some of the unique weapons are a little clowny but you'll get different ones every time so it's not a big problem. The enemies behave just like you would expect in Doom and almost all of the same mechanical principles apply (higher level demons are resistant to bullets for example). There is a lot of new shit added though to keep you on your toes. This game was so popular that there was actually a proper Doom mod made to compliment it, with most of the crazy unique weapons/armors and modding features from DoomRL added. Sadly it doesn't appear to be supported anymore and I have trouble getting it to function completely flawlessly on the latest version of GZDoom (the menu screens appear to be missing from the controls).

Every game you listed has some of those things. But no game has all of those things.

The DS version is a pretty good port.Does some rebalancing, but it's still pretty tough for a roguelike.

The version of Rogue I have downloaded on my PC doesn't want to save and load my files. Am I doing something wrong?

What the fuck is a roguelike and why did i never hear anything about it before current year and the infestation of indie-faggotry?

Because you're fucking new and you're casual trash.

v0.20:
Nemelex's wrath reclaims all decks, rather than sabotaging them.

They do sometimes add stuff, but the amount of things they remove is annoying. Somebody needs to update Extra Hearty Edition, a fork of 0.14 that added back most of what was stripped out in intermediate versions back to 0.9:
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe

NVM I had to relearn some DOS and Command Prompt shit.

None of those listed has all the things you mentioned, the one thing they have in common is they're all standard roguelikes.
You're missing Caves of Qud, by the way. Out of all the RL's I've played it has by far the most impressive worldbuilding and best, most unique atmosphere. Really sticks in your noggin and makes you want to learn more about the world itself.

(checked)

I haven't played DCSS in a long while now but holy jesus christ on fucking fire does that list make me mad. Sometimes they'll yank out one or two things that make you go 'what the fuck' but that changelog is nothing but a giant list of WTF.
Pretty soon those goddamn faggots will have distilled it down into a turn based version of Pong. Fuck.

It's funny comparing the arbitrary, often petty (for instance, axing mountain dwarves because the devs were salty about DF fans from Magma Forums flooding DCSS's forums) removals in DCSS, to a roguelike that actually removes stuff based on intentional thematic choices. For instance, how many people here know that Unreal World used to be a generic D&D-style high fantasy game with orcs, dwarves, elves, magic, and stuff, before it was redone as a hard-realism Scandi survival sim?

i like games that use rougelike features more than rougelikes themselves, i love random terrain
most games that do call themselves "rougelike" and are awful
help

MUDs > roguelikes

The whole point of roguelikes like nethack and adom was to put as many gameplay features with best ability to deepen the player interaction with the game into simplistic rogue scheme to create the most replayable munchkin experience with most challenge lied on rng and player's understanding of how those interactive game mechanics would help him to overcome each run when anything could fuck him up next corner. Eventually that mindset led us to glory of dwarf fortress and everything that tries to copy same shit graphically ultimately fails just because ASCII allows to create a lot of impossible situations that are just hard and too long to implement through graphics. What a person can do in fucking java or C++ with ASCII graphics transcends what a person can make in shitty already built game engine and hand drawn graphical presets. First needs a week for something simple, second needs a month for same amount of work.

Eventually if anybody would put Dorf Fort into graphical perspective it would require x100 times as much time to make as DF was already in development, that's why all graphical representations suck. And only good graphical roguelikes so far that were made were created with static tilesets with not a lot of extensive animation, because otherwise it would require chinese sweatshop amount of work to make something that big.

Even people who work on similar projects in action rpg department in 3d suffer from need to copy same resources from old projects to re-implement them in new ones. Soldak Entertainment had to copy a lot of shit from Din's Curse into their new Zombasite, to feature creep as much content into latest game as possible, not even caring to unclutter the interface.

Probably the closest to Dwarf Fortress I've seen with a proper interface is the Cultures series from Funatics, and it only just barely scratches the surface of DF's economy. The dollar value of the autism Toady One pours into DF, multiplied by a team big enough to make an AAA game, is unimaginable.

What do you guys think of first person roguelikes like Barony?

No way, I used to play that over ten years ago.

Do consider uploading it/linking it.

igg-games.com/cogmind-free-download.html

I think that's not really a roguelike.

A lot of people like to cite random generation, permadeath, item interactions and ASCII graphics as the cornerstones of the genre, but this is a bit like citing ammo limits and health packs as the cornerstones of FPS. The only real feature that defines a roguelike is the core gameplay element of movement and actions being tracked together in a tick-turn system. The rest is expected in most games because of the preferences of both the community and the makers.

Enjoy your bitcoin miner.

Let's just put this as simply as possible:
Berlin Interpretation=roguelike
Anything else, from Diablo through Dungeon Hack and Borderlands=roguelite

wait wat

What about creatures missing some 'ticks' according to their speed value? That creates asynchronous turns.

That's nice.

coalburner

You learn something new every day

I just got the new rome DLC from them the other day and it had a bitcoin miner. I have seen a few other anons report similar things in the share threads.

Death road to Canada is the most fun I've had in a game in ages

Are there any lewd mods for Elona? And what mods are available in general? I only found out it has a custom version with translation fixes and patches.

You know, i remembered another two roguelikes with pretty long rpg-like campaign with ability to turn off permadeath. Its Tangledeep and Dungeonmans. Both however are unfinished and you need to pirate them.

It's rather interesting, as someone who has been supporting it for some time. Rather than a food timer, you're basically wandering around a hostile ecosystem. As more and more things notice your movements, more powerful things will be dispatched to kill you. Hang around in one level too long and you'll be facing things outside of your league pretty fast. On thew flip side, moving quickly and knowing what to take/leave is essential to survival, and there is a meta progression in learning about secret hacking commands and similar things.

It's pretty fun and has an excellent ui as well as some interesting systems surrounding equipment and health.

THere's always dredmor for the real casuals.

Any games like these that aren't dungeon crawlers? I enjoy both Cataclysm and URW, but none of the more normal roguelikes interest me long, even if they are thematically more interesting than kitchen sink fantasy.

You could try Elona+. There are dungeons but they aren't very deep and there is a lot to do on the surface like take quests, own a shop, become a prostitute.

Have you tried searching database?
forums.roguetemple.com/irldb/
There are 612 roguelikes total in it.

I propably should give it another go. Last time I gave up frankly too soon after being intimidated by the state of the translation.

Any tips on what to search? The database doesn't bother with -dungeon crawler and URW is only tagged as "survival", which is rather beside what I'm looking for.

There are more options, like interface and length.

If wikis are more your thing, there's also Roguebasin. Though it's more aimed at authors of roguelikes, the analysis this produces often helps in finding games to play:
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I wish more of these graphical ones reflected your equipped gear. It bothers me when they go so far but stop short of that. I'd really rather just be looking at ASCII, one of those things that hits me right in the 'tism.

Dwarf Fortress' Adventure Mode might suit you, since you aren't dungeon delving for the most part. Newer updates to it made it a lot more interesting, including a revamp of the conversation system, and I THINK you can start to build your own buildings in it now. Basically you can do a lot more roleplaying shit compared to previously.

One of my favorites is One Way Heroics. Great replay value as well. But avoid Mystery Chronicle like the plague.

Still a nice body though.

Care to share what's the difference?

hey bro what is that website in your second pic with all the rogue like names

aw nvm saw the link

Bad port. 30 FPS, bugs, music is bland, changes from the original for no reason, e.g Darkness encroaching turned into light encroaching because.. reasons. Mystery Chronicle comes off as a reskin of a better game.

That's really awful.

Dcss.
Dcss.
Awesome game.

DCSS is for normalfags who can't into *band.

Thanks a ton for recommending Rogue. I actually really like its simplicity. There's not too much stupid bullshit to keep in mind like in Nethack, and kind of reminds me of the kind of methodicalness you need to keep in mind when playing say a Classicvania.

user, i know sometimes you shiggy diggy, but don't shiggy diggy too much. Angband is dead (also damned i to know that its tolkien shit).

TOME has a damn large history behind it. I wish it was still about tolkien shit.

The point I'm trying to make is, why would I play DCSS in its current state over any other basic dungeon crawler? By now practically every modern variant has more depth, breadth, and is more fun.

DCSS is like pillars of eternity of roguelikes for noarmalfags. Can't really overthrow it, because nobody knows its not a good game within its own genre.

I'm sort of a casual when it comes to Roguelike, the only one I played extensively was Dredmor and even without a lot of experience in the genre I could see that it was begginner friendly.
I've recently got to playing Sword of the Stars : The Pit, since it got a new (and last) update. I kind of like it but I don't know if it's a legitimate complaint or just that I'm shit but it feels like it relies a bit too much on RNG. I've been doing Engineer runs (maybe that's my problem) and unless I get a good weapon before floor 10 then I slowly get whittled down floor by floor. I've seen people just say to dump point in combat stats and mostly ignore the rest but that feels counter productive since the character has shit strenght and terrible combat skills outside of a couple. Maybe the point of the character is just to snowball in early levels thanks to being able to repair/open stuff.
I wish the game also used less recolors, I don't mind them most of the time but it really triggers my autism when I'm halfway through the game with a level six million character and I'm fighting a Bat recolor # 46.

t. roguelike brainlet

I don't like Sword of the Stars: The Pit for two reasons:
1. Sword of the Stars was initially pretty good 4x game that was canned completely after failure of a sequel, and now its name used for some pseudo-indie roguelike
2. Level design is trash, its all same rooms and corridors repeating over and over again, only changing by colors, amount of objects and enemies, its very bare bones for a roguelike of those days, despite its graphics and visuals

But on plus side the characters are really cool, and certain game mechanics have inspiring approach. That doesn't justify how bland this game is in the long run, though.

DCSS makes me sad because it had a lot of potential.

That game had no business being that good. Too bad its so short.

Just play Infra Arcana already. I think the tiles still work over it properly. It's been mainly renigging under the hood.

oryxdesignlab.com/games/

What exactly you do, is install the latest release over that version. If you need a tilerset. It's honestly the best tileset, taste disregarded.

the question you should instead ask is "why did i ask this question on Holla Forums instead of just using a search engine"

It has some of the neatest starting rolls with no real dickery and real fun interaction. It takes a while to get good but it's absolutely the best one with curious things that are avoidable with forethought. Just gets a bit tight at points, depending on what you roll.

I agree, level design is pretty terrible and there isn't enough item/build variety to offset that. I sort of enjoy it but I had much more fun on Dredmor, I don't know if I should actually be saying that.
There's a Pit 2 in the works by the way but the track record of the devs is really inconsistent so there's lots of ways everything can go wrong.

I really enjoyed it too, I've been playing lots of western vidya recently, finished both first Call of Juarez games and Hard West. Actually now that I think about it I'd be really interested in a far west setting roguelike, or even really any role playing game with that setting.

Oh, nevermind. The tiles are just in the latest now. That was for older versions. As with most roguelikes, just press ? to figure out what does what. You can find its actual site.

I've been play a game on 18.2 for so long I forgot when that changed.

What I don't like about the Sword of the Stars shit is Kerberos were massive cunts and didn't listen to fucking anyone about Fort Zombie and the whole shithouse went up in flames there is nothing more than basic cardinal movement. I have no idea how they can go so far yet fuck shit so intrinsically. I really hate them. Probably the start of my hate for independent devs. Fucking
LEAFS

They even fucked up that kaiju game that just sealed the deal that I hope they all get stuck on a neverending ride that starts from Manitoba and never ends. I fucking hate them with such a dulling dissapointment I can't even bother cursing them even lowly enough because I am tired of their shit and absolutely every other cunt.

The numbing pain of watching a bunch of fucking leafs shit up something that could have been great. It goes back to Fort Zombie. The fucking cunts never listen and keep putting out trash Derek Smart would piss on. How much hate do I have for them, I guess it grows the longer I think about them. At least I'm saving my sanity in the process.

I hope ever last goddamn leaf burns. There just is no other fucking option at this point.

How can you be so bad at nearly making something great? I suppose they're on that faggoty leaf board that gives them fuck off money to just burn and not make a profit because muh art. Jesus H Christ, there is so much Hell those faggots deserve for short stroking every that believed in them after SotS and the fucking cucks that didn't drive them into a wall about Fort Zombie and still expected SotS 2 to be something.

I wouldn't call it hate. It's an abject disgust for each an every one of their existence.

I'd start another thread but I assume I'd likely be the only one with a nail to drive about something this specific. Excuse me.

Please stop quintuple posting, make a containment thread for your autistic ass and get the fuck out.

No. Read, LEAF.

Learn how to express your thoughts in a single post, and maybe people won't disrespect your opinion.

kek

I like that game. There's obviously an RNG component and it can certainly fuck you over, but in general you can trade your resources. Health for ammo and armor, food for health and ammo for food (killing things faster makes you spend less food). I remember I had a lot of trouble until I started playing on easy to get recipes. They can make food much more efficient. Engi is kind of shit but good at unlocking stuff, so stick with it.

It's worth noting that Rogue and Brogue are slightly different games, both still good. Nethack is a bit of a meme, I'd almost go as far as calling it the reddit of Roguelikes.

I play Nethack on my phone between tasks at work because carrying a DS and Shiren the Wanderer is too cumbersome and rocking the cartridge in any way could ruin a run.

It doesn't have a quick save so you can shut the system off?

If aint permanent death it aint a roguelike

Modern Catadda is bad because of the bloat but if you can ignore it it isn't so bad, benefits of the newer patches is more varieties of cybernetics and more random mutations instead of the fur faggotry.

I'm surprised nobody has made a mod to make zombies were the furry suits so you can kill zombie furries.

Is there a Bayonetta rougelike?

Why not play a better Roguelike though? With the current level of kitchen-sink bloat playing Nethack without at least occasionally referring to an outside source is just painful.

Know better android roguelikes? I'm open to trying new things.

They don't all run on android? I don't really play shit on my phone or go outside.
Any of UnRealWorld, Elona+, ADoM, DoomRL or Rogue/Brogue would be good if they've got android versions.

I remember downloading Rogue but it was a pet project some guy gave up on in 2013

Only decent roguelike I've found for android is nethack and it's ported by a completely different team than the nethack team. There are a handful of pixelshit coffee break roguelites and also Ananias, which is meh, but that's pretty much it for android.

Brogue might work better since it's a more modern game. Maybe Angband?

I couldn't play sword of the stars. The worst thing a roguelike can do is have animations that you can't turn off. I don't want to waste time watching the character move, I should be able to play the game as fast as I can press buttons.

Well that sucks.

Actually just looked and there is angband for android now. DCSS, too. I don't know if I could play Angband anywhere but my computer. I like to have all the windows open at once.

Weird that DoomRL of all things doesn't have a port.

Any cyberpunkish Roguelikes? I wanna mod my body and the only game that really scratches the itch is CDDA

Has anyone tried this roguelike ? Looks interesting but I want to know how it holds up besides the possession gimmick.

Caves of Qud feels inspired by westerns. Or at least something like Dark Tower. You can play as a gunslinger and above ground there are vast expanses and interesting (and deadly) wildlife.

ADOM's shtick is that your character will have to learn how to avoid melee regardless. The game expects you to know which enemies you shouldn't go melee with and expects you to be able to stone them to death like she's your pakistani cousin who got raped.

dont recommend people dungeons of dredmor its got a ton of game crashing bugs that'll never get fixed cause the dev stop patching it a long time ago.

Cogmind might suit you. I haven't played it, but the idea is you're a robot who modifies himself as he progresses

I know it's pixelshit casual trash, but I find Pixel Dungeon to be a lot of fun. I usually play Shattered Pixel Dungeon, which is a pretty good fork.

Unreal World is really good. I never see anyone mention it.

It's impossible to gather that much autism in one place without the studio imploding.

Pixel Dungeon isn't actually a roguelike, it's a puzzle game hiding inside the shell of a roguelike. Not quite to the extent of DROD or something, but the resource clock is so tight, and the mechanics are so simple, it's not really a tactical challenge so much as a matter of figuring out the order to do things in.

That isn't to say it isn't a good game, but it lacks the depth that characterizes roguelikes and other dungeon crawler subgenres. Another game with this sort of deceptive presentation is Massive Assault/Domination, which is a puzzle game cunningly disguised as a turn-based strategy game.

certainly looks a lot like Delver ,One More Dungeon nevermind they're all the same game anyways and shit

Barony is better than those two at least because its not sprite based, but voxel based, and has proper 3d perspective like Eldrich. And Eldrich is even more different from them all for being a zelda clone.

I've actually been playing some more and did some good runs, what fucked me over was that I ran out of ammo at floor 23 or something like that. I'm doing another run and dropped a good blade, invested in that but since I'm such a fucking retard I tried to greed on its repair and it ended up going straight from 1.5 durability to breaking.
I skimmed through a recipe guide just to look at the amount of stuff you can craft and it seems the guide is outdated because there's plenty of ingredients that I dropped that weren't used in any recipe which is good because otherwise crafting would've been pretty barebones. I'm still going to unlock them the legit way though.

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks pretty fun.

I'm trying to get good at this fucking game, but I can't play Ghoul and get past Dlvl6. What the fuck is this class supposed to be doing? Am I emphasizing combat too much? Should I just be rushing for the stairs every time and max out stealth and dex like a fucking faggot Rogue pussyboi?

I've played it, but not long enough to endorse it quite yet. I've liked what I've played so far though.

Some heavy inspirations from disgaea this game has.

You can get Cataclysm DDA on Android, and it works surprisingly well. Whoever made it did a pretty solid job making a phone compatible control scheme for such a keyboard heavy game.

Bump

Ghoul is the most unique class because you don't heal naturally, you have to eat corpses. This means avoiding damage is way more important than other classes. Make sure you use the frenzy ability whenever possible as it makes melee combat much easier. I recommend playing War Veteran until you can get down to at least D10, but if you really like Ghoul max out melee asap so your claws will do good damage, get dexterous because it gives you better dodge chance and more speed so you can outrun enemies if you need to. Don't use high damage melee weapons because they will in most cases not leave a corpse for you to eat, stick with your claws. Take ravenous so you can heal by attacking enemies. Kick over the braziers onto enemies to set them on fire. Grab spikes so you can jam doors with them if you're in trouble. Run away from shit that's invisible and make sure to treat the grey zombies that hold weapons with care, they will fuck your shit up. Use molotovs and dynamite for big groups like Major Cephlam Lee and his zombie gank squad. Make finding the stairs your first priority so you can bail out to the next floor if you get into a shitty situation, but try to squeeze out as much xp as you can from every floor otherwise the lower levels will absolutely destroy you.

Eh, I was looking more more optional body modification like C:DDA. I'm surprised there are more cyber punk ones.