4X Oriental Empires

hey, let's talk about this game and try to git gud

also general 4x, heard civ is getting a new exp

Other urls found in this thread:

torrentz2.eu/8c8ba0c65c3c07927e4065e71ae8130ee02d39fc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like it since I can replay my mongolian finger paintings in it.

It is aesthetic as fuck and very comfy so far, although I have yet to really play anyone but Shu. I had a huge back and forth war against Ba each time I would win in the field but just wouldn't have the strength to siege their capital or had disease outbreaks or floods cause unrest at home so I had to call off my attacks to deal with rebels. It's been really fun so far.

does changing units battle tactics really do anything?

Yes they do try to follow the tactic it's mostly noticeable with the flanking tactic.

I was playing them at first but got wrecked
don't you have issues with forever wars with this game though? in my current game they're coming with these melee only death stacks

explain

got hints of good tactics?
I find that usually experimenting always gets me fucked, while having it simple and well defined works good

also whats the latest pirated version?
pic related is one example of a scrambling unit with no organization, sometimes I find very hard and time consuming to finish off these, meanwhile they roam and pillage everywhere

If you have walls and they have no archers or siege equipment you can just sit there for ages and offer them peace and they will eventually accept once they get tired of camping outside your walls for years.

Since you can play a Qin you can pretty much replay the Kingdom manga. As for tactics setting melee infantry to attack and cavalry to outflank with archers as support works pretty well.

I have the walls and can even fight them
problem is they be pillaging my newly built tier 2 farms
and I can't even suggest peace since I don't know their cities

I don't know what to suggest then, try sneaking a scout around or something, ask other factions who are at war with them for information on enemies.

so picture is one example of how I'm doing right now, ranged in first row, otherwise they won't be able to first shot,
can't leave them on assault, otherwise they will end up melee with the enemy and get beaten up
by turn 111, I am just now able to get calvary, went straight for it instead of chariots, but what I do is leave them on flank on the back row, I don't know how this would affect orders though
even still, I only had 2 of them, barely able to afford more
because the enemy comes pillaging I'm unable to grow and keep loosing tax revenue

oh yeah, another thing that happened in my play-through and I found sort of odd,
I just had finished building something that gave better militia melee, swordman I think
then passed the edict to change the era
suddenly there was no more of them to be recruited, the fuck happened there?

Changing eras disables some units and enables others.

Give a magnet, OP.

I got mine from a private tracker, but in any case, say ah!
torrentz2.eu/8c8ba0c65c3c07927e4065e71ae8130ee02d39fc
not sure whats the latest version, the last news seems to be from 9/10

How well does it run? My PC is not a toaster but i can't run most modern games.

that seems to be the case, but it doens't make any sense, how would it go:
"we have new units, hey its a new era, forget about those units"
either either leave them until upgrade by technology, or directly improve the base unit based on them

diff user. A few of the edicts change the units can get. gentlemen ride chariots for example.

How do you put units in the front line?

drag and drop, just make sure you set the number of rows first

so it finally feels like I know what I'm doing,
pic related shows a torrent, basically three stacks of pure peasants spearmen from the enemy, was able to get the archers to hold their line and wait, and then fall back when the enemy approaches,
I still did loose, but managed to hold out pretty strongly against their superior numbers
third pic is a layout I'm willing to try out, archer front, melee second, and cavalry to flank on the back

I fucking just enacted that, lost the ability to recruit noble swords and archers,
fucking hell, wouldn't hurt to make it clearer

How does this game run on older machines?

why don't you fucking read the requirements or try out for yourself?

Requirements are often misleading and Australian internet isn’t kind to downloading shit just to see if it works.

m8 you're full of shit.

Fuck you got me. I’m just a lazy cunt.

I've seen this on Steam a few times but never got around to trying it. Guess it's time for that.

now I'm sort of steamrolling,
gotta say that sieging the city was extremely satisfying, I was able to take it in one turn, but thanks to a big professional army
also setting up a good trade network really made the tricks to making the big bucks, the game has one of the most satisfying trade systems as well

I actually tried it out for a bit last month, but felt that it was a little too slow for me. I'm willing to give it another go, though. Would you say the game is too easy or are you streamrolling mainly because you set up a good economy beforehand?

Picking ancient china is the problem.
No one is going to be interested in the setting except chinks.
And they are a world onto their own.

Can I play as grorious nippon or do I have to play as insect people?

false, only retards like you that don't know history would think like that
china was glorious before they turned into chinks

posting what I can find, there was a thread much better pics, but sadly I didn't save

anyway, I don't actually know for sure,
but I started steamrolling after getting up a proper economy in a city focused on military,
once the trained units came out, they shifted the balance of the wars I was in, I guess that is where it started, but they were indeed a hefty investment
so how the AI is incapable there? hard to tell for sure, maybe they are too aggressive and invest little on home growing

let's not and say we didn't

The AI seems weird.
Ba declared war but didn't send an army and didn't put up a fight until I had taken 3 of their cities.
White Di declares war and comes through Wu territory just to slap my shit.
Still highly entertaining game.

yeah, they need some better focus,
it seems just being peace is somewhat offensive, so better to have fraternal pact with anyone you're not at war with

true, speaking of which, why don't we try a mp game, this game really doesn't seem to have any drm

Did you forgot about all the people who play Sleepyeye Warriors 12?

how to use grasslands?

are maps randomly generated?

there is grand campaign map of china but they can be custom made as well

thats good. playing the same map al the time would get boring after a while
anyone managed to run this in wine?

yep, I just wrapped around the installation from my windows partition,
worked fine as far as I can tell,

bumparoo

Look here chink.
You need to give people a setting they are familiar with.
Why should I play a Chingchong faction versus the Pingpong faction while both are completely unrelatable?
Japan had some opening up so almost everyone knows about shoguns and damiyos and how they fought for Japan.
Or the Romans or the Teutons that fucked shit up.
All I know about Chink history is that they had some bland civil wars when dynasties fell with Warlords from A to Z that killed many of their chinkbots and eventually went Emperor.
Might as well make a strategy set in sub-saharan africa 6-10 century.

I'm not criticizing the mechanics which look nice but for fucks sake you can't market this shit in the West.

this is going to be good

geez user, I don't know, why do you play video games even?

you're just trying to justify being a weeb, but truth is you're just ignorant to some country is history

may you oughta look in the casual section of reddit

user is such a nigger that he somehow managed to miss out on all the Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms games that have come over the years. A Chinese setting is interesting if for no other reason than because it is so underused. There's almost no RPGs (of any kind) that take place in China or are based around Chinese myths and legends, there's no RTT game depicting warfare in ancient China, there's no games about the Sino-Japanese war, or about the period of unrest before the communists took over the country.

There's plenty of interesting gameplay possibilities regarding the setting, but then we have faggots like the user you're quoting who sperg out at the mere mention of China for God knows what reason.

Because whenever people bring up China it’s usually in a China Stronk sense, anyone who disagrees with the assertion that China is the most interesting place in the world is an ignorant weeb. Then people post the “don’t learn Chinese” screencap which exacerbates the situation. Basically, bringing up China is like bringing up Israel, some people might want to have a serious discussion about it, but the grande largesse of posters just want to meme.

Because whenever people bring up China it’s usually in a China Stronk sense, anyone who disagrees with the assertion that China is the most interesting place in the world is an ignorant weeb.
That's a lot of assumptions right there. Is China a powerful country? Yes, it is, but it also has its obvious and glaring flaws. Also, it makes for an interesting setting that is rarely used for whatever reason (but mostly because chinks are soulless ants that can't produce games about their country).

Anything that needs to be said about Israel has already been said ten times over. The only thing left is to nuke it for the good of all.

I haven't played those games, but I have to say
is such an retarded argument, it was almost funny to reply to
I admit, most of what I know today is due to historical games like civ and the likes spirring interest and looking it up later
same can be said for nippon and chinkon, like you said sadly underused setting, though at least I knew that ancient china was kinda of a big deal and also origin of a lot of technologies

but to say that you wont play something because is not relatable is just ridiculous,
what about warhammer or warcraft, I bet there aren't orcs in his neighborhood right?
skyrim, baldur gate, stalker, fallout or literally any other fantasy setting wtf…

any game breaking bugs or is it pretty stable?

it was released about last month

Question still stands. There are a lot of torrents with a lot of seeders but somehow it isn't giving me many more than a few KB per second. If it doesn't even run I won't bother.

I like the recruiting system. I hate how 4x games always force you to choose between building military and building economy. I end up either spending too much on military and just have a bunch of units standing around or I don't spend enough and I lose a bunch of cities immediately after making contact with another empire. What are some other 4x games that do something to avoid this problem? I vaguely remember playing one where you have separate military and civilian production points, does anyone know what I might be talking about?

The system makes sense for the setting because only noble houses had the money to hire and maintain men with martial backgrounds as professional soldiers (or household soldiers) while the majority of the army was levied from farmers and hunters of the peasant class.

its an unknown game, why don't you fucking pirate the thing and see for yourself if the fucking thing runs or not
do you want me to spoonfeed you nutritious semen directly to your womb too? for fucks sake

wrong, technically it makes sense for every setting apart from the modern one
exactly as that many throughout history had only levy armies, with very small actual professional forces,

the only other game I can think of, and also serves an example of the above, is Ck2
you can just levy out military when needed, and they usually cost a ton when up

by the way, new update with minor camera improvements, and also 40% sale

Mate it's bits per second. It still has an hour left on the torrent. Might as well see it through at this point.

well which fucking download did you find
bad internet points for you because I literally got it in seconds on a private tracker, then even kept a second torrent seeding on a public tracker
if you're wondering this was it
ps: make sure to post back when you get your ass kicked

This game seems like it's missing something. I have no idea what but I've felt like I haven't done enough each turn but that I'm wasting a lot of time contemplating what to do each turn.

What? The Romans already did professional armies by making it part of the naturalization process for citizenship long before the modern times. Not to mention that past the introduction of Confucianism lining out a very clear class divide in the social strata, the practice of having a professional standing army by hiring and training the 3rd of 4th sons of peasant farmer families became common place and the practice of levying up a peasant army outside of the times of crisis became rare. In fact, in chink war strategy, levying up the peasants is largely seen as a last ditched move to ensure that the conquerors would not get a stable province to govern over even if the people in power lost the war, effectively holding the entire city-fort hostage.

I feel like the armies could be bigger as it stands I don't think you can get all out of the tactics like you could if the armies ware 2 or 3 times larger.

there really isn't that much to do each turn, I usually just quick check notifications, every city and every moving army,
its kinda nice actually, after you get into it falls into a nice pace where turns don't take long even if you have a large empire, very little micro to do,
of course you need to keep you overall strategy in mind and follow it

nah, armies have a really nice size when you think about it, not too big stacks, not to small either,
remember though that can have several armies grouped together in cluster and they will engage simultaneously
there is a limit to how wide a front can be in a single army (about 4 or 5 but depends on unit) so by spreading out you can have really big frontlines

true to that, professional armies did exist but were relatively small, and that too is one reason why Rome did fall, really big army upkeep

that is somewhat also portrayed in the game, once you get trained troops, there is very little reason to not use them (apart from upkeep)
the point is, this is portrayed in-game by having a small but steady supply o trained recruits costing money, and having a large but limited peasant pool you can levy at once in times of desperation
meanwhile in civ and the likes you have to build them and keep practically forever

The armor on the units actually changes as you upgrade their armor stat. Pretty neat.

what do you mean here? the upgraded armor from the blacksmith or something else?

No armorer: Noble troops wear leather vest
With armorer: Noble troops wear bronze vest

Well that could have been more satisfying.
Maybe it's just because I never really play these kind of games, but it's pretty slow going so far.

Am I supposed to be turning every free tile into a farm? I have so many of these things stacked up and I have no idea if it's going to stop me building actual buildings in my cities.

I think that's what you're supposed to be doing. Farms and roads are the only things you can build on tiles besides buildings that require certain terrain like mines and temples.

I'm playing 9999 max turns and 5% research speed. 400 turns in and I barely managed to finish 8 researches but while waiting, most neighbouring kingdoms to went into civil war mode and I started demolishing their rebel cities to free up prime real estate for my own people. So far my authority is sitting at 4 and I have 3 huge farming cities, 1 developing farming city for me to set up internal trading soon and 1 satellite city for exploiting gold and rhinos that can't futher grow until I get ride of marshes.

I also only have long spear peasants and noble archers and the tech handicap all factions have pretty much changes the war dynamic as you need a really solid economy to support a few armies roaming around because sieges become infinitely harder when relying on peasant troops.

Some other parts the game really does well. The empire changing edicts. For example:

Cancellation Effect: Authority -1 for 20 turns, Peasant Unrest +20% for 20 turns,
Notice how the description of the effects of this edict seems to fit the whole "bloody mongorian raiding the great plains" image very well?

its your fault for not knowing how far you have to go beforehand

yes, these tile improvements to build, so you're suppose to go for it
the only exception to this case is:
1- when you do not have enough workforce to build something else or farm
2- when they have high peasant unrest, let them on vacation for a few turns

why would you do that.gif

agree also, edicts for most part really do seem to be balanced

Because when I have one technological edge over the opponent, I do not want that edge to be gone in 16-24 turns. However I don't think the AI is responding well to that sort of timeframe as a lot of them go into anhero mode or start building up too much for their authority to support and plunge straight into civil war. However a human multiplayer game with that length would be pretty interesting.

I have no idea what you mean by this

Rebels that you can't negotiate with originates from your culture (and potentially getting people to recognize you as emperor too much). You can't fight their stacks with a royal present.

I think I found the actual gay king

No, as in this game lets you play America. Every time someone in my neighbourhood gets a civil war on their hands, I send a scout over to send a message that the rebels "become my vassals and I paid you shekels". Usually they accept and that ends their civil war as factions you're at fraternal pact with cannot attack your vassals. Then if their internal politics are still shit, another one of their city will rebel in time but this time the city will automatically pop up as your vassals instead of a separate rebel faction. This triggers the war mechanic and the rebels will ask you for war aid, which if you accept, provides you with sufficient casus belli to go slap your neighbour's shit in.

I've then noticed when there's rebellions within my ISIS controlled vassal territory, I cannot negotiate with the resultant new rebels as in the diplomacy screen the button greyed out and it displays "This faction sees you as an oppressor".

what did you actually meant with your comment? it just seemed that you took an chariot army but it was way too far from the enemy

interesting mechanic, I haven't experienced rebellions or defects yet, what drives it?

Don't send a peasant army to fight a peasant rebellion, don't send a noble army to fight a noble rebellion. Over half the stack being one type of troop determines what you have.

well that makes sense, send the professionals to deal with them
but these were your own rebels right? or can they defect to another faction?

Rebels generated have their own culture based on who they're rebelling against. Naturally, I can't negotiate with my own rebels but you can play proxy war with someone else's rebellion.

Do other empires get mad if you take their rebel cities?

Do you think they'll actually pay up?

They can't if their coffers aren't that huge, but they might make a counter offer.

let me re-phrase that,
I knew that, and its also great mechanic of the game as well, as opposed to "barbarians" spawn in civ
however I wondered if you can have defects to another faction, if one has really higher unrest difference than the other

No, I don't think your rebels will defect to another faction, but they might team up to buttrape you.

fug

They're lucky there's only little over ten turns left. Otherwise I'd destroy their cities and grind their bones to dust.

today? it was like till day 09 wasn't it?
but with christmas sale soon I rather wait a bit

oh hell, vassilized factions can betray you too?

so this is like Totalt War focused on watching tiny people fight, like Civilisation that's just boobling the map or like Europa Universallis focused on empire building and policies?

It's civ style but with limited death stacks (8 units max per stack) but stacks has tactical consideration as in you can arrange your battle lines and combat tactics for every single unit in the specific stack. Turns are concurrent which means planning a confrontation by reading where your enemy is trying to go is more important than starting one. That said, you don't actually have to land on the same hex as your enemy to start a confrontation as as long as one of your battle lines (or the enemy's) have an aggressive stance (attack, charge, harrass or outflanking) your army will initiate combat the moment the two armies are 2 hex apart from one another, meaning if you have chokepoints coming into your territory, you can even choose where in the chokepoint would you like to fight (river, hill, plains with river and hills boxing everyone in etc).

The combat is automated, meaning you only handle the tactical command aspect of the battle before you start the battle. Once in battle, units will attempt to fulfill the command given to them as much as possible. For example a line in attack would form up to face the enemy before moving towards them to engage. Charging omits forming a line and just attacks. Defend can allow your troops to form up at advantageous terrains and wait for the enemy to engage your lines while support does the same as defend except allows your troops to break formation to go after enemies currently engaged in melee or charge those who get close enough.

Like I previously said, battles are decided when at least 1 stack in the field has aggression and there's enemy stacks coming close to 2 hex away from you (1 hex empty between you and the enemy) and also that the turns are concurrent, which means everything is moving at the same time. This means multiple stacks can get in the same battle provided they travel into the same vicinity to reinforce.

For example, you have 2 stacks of 8, A and B. B is 3 hex away from A. A is controlling a chokepoint, a straight corridor 5 hexes long. An enemy stack of 8 appears 3 hex away from A. You set B to move to the front of A's position to reinforce and set A to move 4 hex towards the enemy's direction (you'll see why later) and hit end turn. Simultaneous movement starts. Given that the enemy only needs to move 1 hex to be within engagement range with A, the battle starts after B has moved one hex, but as the battle lines are drawn and A is facing off the enemy, B continues moving towards the battlefield. As the battle rages on, B arrives and the fight becomes 16 v 8, causing a mass rout in the enemy stack, with say 40% casualties are inflicted straight up from B enveloping them and cutting them down as they retreat. The battle ends with B moving to one hex ahead of A, parking themselves in the corridor. But the enemy stack isn't completely dead yet and they retreated 2 hexes away from B. A then regroups and immediately marched forth (since you assigned them to move 4 hexes into the corridor) and then engages the enemy stack that has just retreated, killing most of the already injured units and grinding down their unit readiness to nothing, causing even surviving units to disband (there's 2 health units for every unit, manpower and overall morale. Losing all of any one of the two causes the unit to disappear, causing you to need to rotate out the stack that's handling a zerg rush every now and then)

The combat system in this game is deceptively simple. It actually allows you to plan for pretty big confrontations and plan for pursuing troops all within the same turn if you can see the tactical flow of what's about to happen.

As for empire building and policies, economy is pretty simple (rice is love, rice is life), buildings are slightly harder because you can't spam trade to win since EXPORT generates income but no one would import anything if say all your cities have potteries and bronze forges. That said, all building in a town incurs an upkeep, so you're not only feeding your army. You also need to feed your buildings. Policies is also one of the really well done aspects of the game. You have temporary policies (including one where your ruler bullies himself so that he loses prestige in exchange for everyone being less angry at him) and permanent policies (New tax policies that makes all the peasants angry, nobles happy and doubles your income!) but you'll have to balance which to implement since most of them makes nobody happy.

this is wrong, battles are engaged when they move into adjacent hex to the enemy, doesn't require them to move into the same one, but if you have two still units one hex apart they won't engage

It seems the trying times have only just begun

I'm two dozen turns in, when should I start preparing for the finngolians?

I'm 100 turns in and I haven't seen a golden horde yet.

You're 1000 years too early for fingolians. There's nomad factions in the game. They have a different economy from the chinks and they have noble horse archers and unlock heavy horse archers way earlier than the chinks

if I'm not mistaken the game is about 300 turns in length right?
only the last era is supposed to be when the mongols invade, is there a event or some kind, or is just the remaining factions going all war?

have fun!

that must be annoying, haven't really checked out victory conditions yet

It's an old save that I won by conquest before I turned back to turn 1000 via an old save. I'm honestly more amused.

It ends in the imperial era, so yes. It should be the age where the great wall starts construction because the bloody mongorians are relentless. But we started in max ~700bc with early bronze age lol.

meant for>>13979781

keep going

easy bump for one more week